Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars

homemade kit kat 72342   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars

I must have been really excited to share this post with you yesterday because while I was in the early stages of writing the post, I decided to hit publish instead of save draft. It was really no big deal and I quickly marked the post as private and it disappeared from my blog. Whew. Well, 10 minutes later, I saw the unfinished post pop up in Google Reader! Cue mini freak out. My apologies if you saw a post pop up without an actual recipe. What a tease! Not knowing what to do, I tried to overwrite the post with “ummmm ahhhh sorry, I will be back tomorrow with the post!” message, so you may have witnessed that hilarity instead.

Moral of the story: Do NOT trust me with a computer when I’m on cold meds…ever.

homemade kit kat bar recipe 7259   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars

Moving on.

I don’t have much patience when it comes to many things – organization of any kind, taxes, traffic, slow computers, waiting for food to cool…and apparently, writing blog posts. Finicky desserts are high on the list too. Trust me, I have no idea how I ever made these cookies a few years ago. Who was that girl? Luckily, I’m high in persistence and determination (read: stubborn as heck), which is why I stuck with these Kit Kat knock-offs despite my dwindling attention span. After making a third trial this morning, I finally decided on a recipe to share with you.

And I never want to see another Kit Kat bar again.

homemade kit kat 72221   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars homemade kit kat 72391   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars

That is, until the next chocolate craving hits. If you don’t mind spreading several layers of melted chocolate onto thin, easy-to-break wafers and freezing it all several times, then this dessert is for you. If you tend to get distracted by shiny objects like I do, consider yourself warned.

Orange tin-foil candy wrappers are just so pretty…

Now, it’s been years since I’ve had a Kit Kat bar, but from what I remember there are 2 layers – wafers and chocolate. Whoop-dee-doo. I wanted to spruce things up a little so I made homemade coconut whipped cream blended with cocoa powder and maple syrup. Why not?

homemade kit kat 7199   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars

And of course, melted chocolate. I also added a thick peanut butter layer because it obviously goes amazing with chocolate. I found the tort wafers at Bulk Barn (about the size of a sheet of paper – 5 per package). If anyone else knows where to purchase tort wafers, please leave a comment below!

Speaking of patience, here are step-by-step photos with captions for all the visual learners out there. If you click on the first picture you can click through the entire (enlarged) slideshow all at once. The full recipe is linked at the bottom of the post.

homemade kit kat bar recipe 7243 thumb   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars homemade kit kat bar recipe 7244 thumb   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars homemade kit kat bar recipe 7245 thumb   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Barshomemade kit kat bar recipe 7246 thumb   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars homemade kit kat bar recipe 7247 thumb   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars homemade kit kat bar recipe 7248 thumb   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Barshomemade kit kat bar recipe 7249 thumb   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars homemade kit kat bar recipe 7250 thumb   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars homemade kit kat bar recipe 7251 thumb   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Barshomemade kit kat bar recipe 7252 thumb   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars homemade kit kat bar recipe 7253 thumb   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars homemade kit kat bar recipe 7254 thumb   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Barshomemade kit kat 7213 thumb   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars homemade kit kat 7212 thumb   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars homemade kit kat 7214 thumb   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars

The leftover chocolate whipped cream made the perfect dipping cream for the kit kat bars!

homemade kit kat 72411   Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars

Did I mention this is not a health food?

In the end, I’m quite happy with how these turned out. Due to the fussy nature of the bars, I’d probably rather make my Homemade Rolo recipe because 1) it’s much faster, 2) these bars are messy to make, and 3) I like the taste of the date caramel better.

Just my two cents. :) Maybe some of you crafty bakers can make a hybrid of the two?

To email, print, or text this recipe, click here.

I’m hoping to get rid of this awful cold as soon as possible. I’m drinking green things and oodles of tea, eating homemade soup, and trying to keep Sketchie from eating a bag of fresh rolls that are for a photoshoot later today (don’t ask…).

Have a great weekend!

Cosmo October 19, 2012

I saw the google reader link and then the oops and have been stalking your blog all morning. Looks awesome I am not disappointed.

Averie @ Averie Cooks October 19, 2012

Angela these are about the most genius creation I’ve seen in ages. WOW!!!

The layers, the chocolate, the peanut butter, the chocolate whipped cream. And yes it looks like it would make the perfect dipping cream. I want a big bowl of it! And a big pile of Kit Kats. I love them (and Rolo’s, too from your last post!)

Fabulous recipe! And that you kept it all vegan, no less!

Anna October 19, 2012

Wow, those look labor intensive! Delicious I’m sure though. I think I will stick with the Rolo’s however :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar October 19, 2012

Aww yeah. So creative!

Gaby @A Crafty Gourmet October 19, 2012

This is so cool! I’m wondering if there are any premade gluten free wafers on the market so I can make these for my daughter and I. Do you know if there are?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2012

Hey Gaby, I’m sorry I don’t know of any GF ones…hopefully someone makes them though! I would try searching online to see if any brands pop up. goodluck!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh October 19, 2012

These look AMAZING and leftover chocolate, that’s funny. I think I’d be face first in that stuff before I could ever get around to dipping! I love that you used the mini pumpkins as weights!

Somer October 19, 2012

That is the SHIZ! Way to go!!!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn October 19, 2012

This is the part when I come all the way up to Canada to eat these. I’ll bring the almond milk hot cocoa.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2012

Deal :) That would surely clear my stuffy nose…

Shira October 19, 2012

Amazing. I love this post! I am sure I would quickly get distracted by a million things if I tried these :) We’ve all hit that ‘publish’ button by accident I think — always hilarious to see where are minds actually are instead being present!! Too funny, great post Angela and HUGE points for patience and creativity!

allison October 19, 2012

ya these look too fussy for me. I’m like you too…I don’t like detail or lots of prep. I really don’t. I probably would say “nah..i don’t need a kit kat that bad” haha but it does look amazing and bravo for staying with it.

debbysunshine@veganamericanprincess October 19, 2012

I really dislike those panicky moments when you hit the wrong button while blogging. I have accidentally erased posts I have worked on for hours and could not get them back using auto-recover. In any event, the “Kit-Kats” look delectable and I can’t wait to try them!

Ezen October 19, 2012

Found this post on the NuffnangX app and would have never thought to make a homemade version of the kit kat bar. They do look a little too much work for something that would be gobbled up in no time.. but boy, do they look delicious! :D

bitt of raw October 19, 2012

I did see the other post and was confused. Then clicked over and the fact you deleted it made me realize it was a mistake. No problem! These look really great. I am wondering if anyone knows where to get gluten-free wafers like this. I have seen wafer cookies with filling already that are GF, so maybe just coating those with chocolate and more peanut butter would be a close approximation.

esther October 19, 2012

I saw that RSS feed bungle as well and I was like..oh darn. No new post yet!

These look marvelous! I don’t eat kit kats anymore because they are NOT crunchy! When you break off a piece of that kit kat bar, they’re just stale. Clearly, I thought about this for way too long.

Question: where do you buy the wafers from?

Andrea @ Vegvacious October 19, 2012

I saw the oopsiedaisie post this morning and have been very {im}patiently waiting for this recipe since you started posting teaser pics on Instagram!! Yeah, I’ve maybe been an Oh She Glows creeper this morning :-) These Kit Kats look great!!

PS – I hope you’re feeling better soon!!

Eating 4 Balance October 19, 2012

You are seriously my favorite person ever! Kit-Kats were my favorite candy bar when I was younger. Especially the dark chocolate versions… Hm. Dark chocolate version in the future?! :)

Tee October 19, 2012

LOL so hard at this:

“Note to self: When you leave a huge plastic spider in the kitchen sink, you WILL scream at the sight of it several times throughout the day. ”

I do this ALL the time. That was sooo funny, seriously, I couldn’t stop laughing at that sentence.

Anyway, these are genious, and they actually don’t look too hard to make, thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2012

I’m glad you get my joke!!! hah because I really did scare myself so many times yesterday!

Erika October 19, 2012

Love the added whipped cream twist to these! You are so creative :) And lovely–I did the same thing of accidentally publishing a post today. And I’m not even sick! Embarrassing.

kim@hungryhealthygirl October 19, 2012

I love Kit-Kats, but it’s also been years since I’ve had one. Maybe one day when I’m feeling extra crafty I’ll give these a try. Love the idea of using the coconut whipping. Last weekend, I used your instructions for the whipped coconut to use the top of pie and it worked perfectly. Everyone I served it to (kids included) loved it! I don’t think the kids even knew the difference.

Abby@ Totes Delish October 19, 2012

I don’t have patience for those things either! Freezing, spreading, freezing, who has time for it?! When I need chocolate I need it stat!

Ang W October 19, 2012

Amazing. Amazing!! Ange I laughed so hard at the thought of you screaming at the pretend spider you left in the sink, and a few times at that… it’s definitely something I would do!

Robyn October 19, 2012

Over-the-top..Wowza! These look and sound amazing…use to love Kitkats(especially-chunky!)…When I hunt down the wafers…it’s on! Love, love, love your photos and the orange wrapper <3

Christa @ Edible Balance October 19, 2012

Angela, you are nothing short of amazing! I would never have the patience to do this, never in a million years! Having said that, do you deliver? ;)

Ali October 19, 2012

These look amazing. If you don’t want them all, I could surely take some off your hands for you. :) I don’t even have enough patience to bake so I know for sure I wouldn’t have the patience to make these! I will have to try the whipped cream though!

Irina @ Chocolatea Time October 19, 2012

Ummm one word: AMAZING!!! This is one of the best recipes I’ve seen in a while :)

Deirdre October 19, 2012

You are getting fancy, in a good way! Happy Weekend!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 19, 2012

I did see this go up for a sec yesterday and got all excited!

You never cease to amaze me. If I ever grow some candy-making balls, I’m making this first!

Lynn October 19, 2012

These look like a good version of nutty bars too…miss the little debbies!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2012

you are so right!

Radhika Sarohia October 19, 2012

These look sooooo good
I’m really wishing I wasn’t on a low-carb diet, I want to make these so badly!
Vegan desserts and candies are my downfall hehe:D
Thanks for posting these in time to make them for Halloween parties by the way :-D

Ana October 19, 2012

Oh wow, they look perfect!!
Now that is a project I would love to try at home with my son!
You are awesome Angela :-)
Ana

Trobairitz October 19, 2012

Oh man I wish I wasn’t so lazy right now. Those look so delicious. Nice job.

You are always so creative and an inspiration.

Willow October 19, 2012

I’ve published a few blog posts prematurely myself! It happens to the best of us. ;)

I can see where these bars are a bit finicky to make, but you’re kind of my idol for having even attempted it. There are some things I look at and never even consider making at home, and kit kat bars were definitely one of them. How are kit kat bars made? I dunno, magic? :P

Yours sound so much better than ‘real’ kit kats, anyway. Love the peanut butter in the middle!

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts October 19, 2012

That early ‘publish’ and then terror of Google Reader picking it up despite the ‘cancel’ is a fear I’ve navigated a few times. Kind of glad it’s not just me!

These look wonderful, and well worth the wait of a day – also much better than commercial Kit Kats :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 19, 2012

Oh the premature publish… I’ve done it twice and have proceeded to totally freak out both times!! These were worth the wait though… you’ve done an awesome job! I can imagine it was pretty messy, but at least the taste testing would have been fun! :)

Anya October 19, 2012

Wow, these look impressive! If you add a caramel layer, and a roasted peanuts layer, it will stop being a kit kat, but will be another amazing candy bar :)) Thank you for an amazing recipe, Angela!

Lia October 19, 2012

This seems like a good meditation recipe when you want to focus on an elaborate project and just ignore everything else and lick chocolate off of everything! Always a good thing to have the option of doing! Thanks for the effort!!

luv what you do October 19, 2012

That dip looks amazing! I could drink it with a straw : )

Bek @ Crave October 19, 2012

Amazing recipe! And with the visuals it doesn’t actually look that hard! You go girl!

Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen October 19, 2012

Love, love, love this recipe, but those spiders are freaking me the EFF OUT!!!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 20, 2012

If you’re giving these out at Halloween, I’m coming trick or treating at your house! ;)

Page 1 of 212»