Homemade Vegan “Kit Kat” Bars

homemade kit kat-7234

I must have been really excited to share this post with you yesterday because while I was in the early stages of writing the post, I decided to hit publish instead of save draft. It was really no big deal and I quickly marked the post as private and it disappeared from my blog. Whew. Well, 10 minutes later, I saw the unfinished post pop up in Google Reader! Cue mini freak out. My apologies if you saw a post pop up without an actual recipe. What a tease! Not knowing what to do, I tried to overwrite the post with “ummmm ahhhh sorry, I will be back tomorrow with the post!” message, so you may have witnessed that hilarity instead.

Moral of the story: Do NOT trust me with a computer when I’m on cold meds…ever.

homemade kit kat bar recipe-7259

Moving on.

I don’t have much patience when it comes to many things – organization of any kind, taxes, traffic, slow computers, waiting for food to cool…and apparently, writing blog posts. Finicky desserts are high on the list too. Trust me, I have no idea how I ever made these cookies a few years ago. Who was that girl? Luckily, I’m high in persistence and determination (read: stubborn as heck), which is why I stuck with these Kit Kat knock-offs despite my dwindling attention span. After making a third trial this morning, I finally decided on a recipe to share with you.

And I never want to see another Kit Kat bar again.

homemade kit kat-7222 homemade kit kat-7239

That is, until the next chocolate craving hits. If you don’t mind spreading several layers of melted chocolate onto thin, easy-to-break wafers and freezing it all several times, then this dessert is for you. If you tend to get distracted by shiny objects like I do, consider yourself warned.

Orange tin-foil candy wrappers are just so pretty…

Now, it’s been years since I’ve had a Kit Kat bar, but from what I remember there are 2 layers – wafers and chocolate. Whoop-dee-doo. I wanted to spruce things up a little so I made homemade coconut whipped cream blended with cocoa powder and maple syrup. Why not?

homemade kit kat-7199

And of course, melted chocolate. I also added a thick peanut butter layer because it obviously goes amazing with chocolate. I found the tort wafers at Bulk Barn (about the size of a sheet of paper – 5 per package). If anyone else knows where to purchase tort wafers, please leave a comment below!

Speaking of patience, here are step-by-step photos with captions for all the visual learners out there. If you click on the first picture you can click through the entire (enlarged) slideshow all at once. The full recipe is linked at the bottom of the post.

homemade kit kat bar recipe-7243 homemade kit kat bar recipe-7244 homemade kit kat bar recipe-7245homemade kit kat bar recipe-7246 homemade kit kat bar recipe-7247 homemade kit kat bar recipe-7248homemade kit kat bar recipe-7249 homemade kit kat bar recipe-7250 homemade kit kat bar recipe-7251homemade kit kat bar recipe-7252 homemade kit kat bar recipe-7253 homemade kit kat bar recipe-7254homemade kit kat-7213 homemade kit kat-7212 homemade kit kat-7214

The leftover chocolate whipped cream made the perfect dipping cream for the kit kat bars!

homemade kit kat-7241

Did I mention this is not a health food?

In the end, I’m quite happy with how these turned out. Due to the fussy nature of the bars, I’d probably rather make my Homemade Rolo recipe because 1) it’s much faster, 2) these bars are messy to make, and 3) I like the taste of the date caramel better.

Just my two cents. :) Maybe some of you crafty bakers can make a hybrid of the two?

To email, print, or text this recipe, click here.

I’m hoping to get rid of this awful cold as soon as possible. I’m drinking green things and oodles of tea, eating homemade soup, and trying to keep Sketchie from eating a bag of fresh rolls that are for a photoshoot later today (don’t ask…).

Have a great weekend!

1 Cosmo October 19, 2012

I saw the google reader link and then the oops and have been stalking your blog all morning. Looks awesome I am not disappointed.

2 Averie @ Averie Cooks October 19, 2012

Angela these are about the most genius creation I’ve seen in ages. WOW!!!

The layers, the chocolate, the peanut butter, the chocolate whipped cream. And yes it looks like it would make the perfect dipping cream. I want a big bowl of it! And a big pile of Kit Kats. I love them (and Rolo’s, too from your last post!)

Fabulous recipe! And that you kept it all vegan, no less!

3 Anna October 19, 2012

Wow, those look labor intensive! Delicious I’m sure though. I think I will stick with the Rolo’s however :)

4 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar October 19, 2012

Aww yeah. So creative!

5 Gaby @A Crafty Gourmet October 19, 2012

This is so cool! I’m wondering if there are any premade gluten free wafers on the market so I can make these for my daughter and I. Do you know if there are?

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2012

Hey Gaby, I’m sorry I don’t know of any GF ones…hopefully someone makes them though! I would try searching online to see if any brands pop up. goodluck!

7 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh October 19, 2012

These look AMAZING and leftover chocolate, that’s funny. I think I’d be face first in that stuff before I could ever get around to dipping! I love that you used the mini pumpkins as weights!

8 Somer October 19, 2012

That is the SHIZ! Way to go!!!

9 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn October 19, 2012

This is the part when I come all the way up to Canada to eat these. I’ll bring the almond milk hot cocoa.

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2012

Deal :) That would surely clear my stuffy nose…

11 Shira October 19, 2012

Amazing. I love this post! I am sure I would quickly get distracted by a million things if I tried these :) We’ve all hit that ‘publish’ button by accident I think — always hilarious to see where are minds actually are instead being present!! Too funny, great post Angela and HUGE points for patience and creativity!

12 allison October 19, 2012

ya these look too fussy for me. I’m like you too…I don’t like detail or lots of prep. I really don’t. I probably would say “nah..i don’t need a kit kat that bad” haha but it does look amazing and bravo for staying with it.

13 debbysunshine@veganamericanprincess October 19, 2012

I really dislike those panicky moments when you hit the wrong button while blogging. I have accidentally erased posts I have worked on for hours and could not get them back using auto-recover. In any event, the “Kit-Kats” look delectable and I can’t wait to try them!

14 Ezen October 19, 2012

Found this post on the NuffnangX app and would have never thought to make a homemade version of the kit kat bar. They do look a little too much work for something that would be gobbled up in no time.. but boy, do they look delicious! :D

15 bitt of raw October 19, 2012

I did see the other post and was confused. Then clicked over and the fact you deleted it made me realize it was a mistake. No problem! These look really great. I am wondering if anyone knows where to get gluten-free wafers like this. I have seen wafer cookies with filling already that are GF, so maybe just coating those with chocolate and more peanut butter would be a close approximation.

16 esther October 19, 2012

I saw that RSS feed bungle as well and I was like..oh darn. No new post yet!

These look marvelous! I don’t eat kit kats anymore because they are NOT crunchy! When you break off a piece of that kit kat bar, they’re just stale. Clearly, I thought about this for way too long.

Question: where do you buy the wafers from?

17 Andrea @ Vegvacious October 19, 2012

I saw the oopsiedaisie post this morning and have been very {im}patiently waiting for this recipe since you started posting teaser pics on Instagram!! Yeah, I’ve maybe been an Oh She Glows creeper this morning :-) These Kit Kats look great!!

PS – I hope you’re feeling better soon!!

18 Eating 4 Balance October 19, 2012

You are seriously my favorite person ever! Kit-Kats were my favorite candy bar when I was younger. Especially the dark chocolate versions… Hm. Dark chocolate version in the future?! :)

19 Tee October 19, 2012

LOL so hard at this:

“Note to self: When you leave a huge plastic spider in the kitchen sink, you WILL scream at the sight of it several times throughout the day. ”

I do this ALL the time. That was sooo funny, seriously, I couldn’t stop laughing at that sentence.

Anyway, these are genious, and they actually don’t look too hard to make, thank you!

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2012

I’m glad you get my joke!!! hah because I really did scare myself so many times yesterday!

21 Erika October 19, 2012

Love the added whipped cream twist to these! You are so creative :) And lovely–I did the same thing of accidentally publishing a post today. And I’m not even sick! Embarrassing.

22 kim@hungryhealthygirl October 19, 2012

I love Kit-Kats, but it’s also been years since I’ve had one. Maybe one day when I’m feeling extra crafty I’ll give these a try. Love the idea of using the coconut whipping. Last weekend, I used your instructions for the whipped coconut to use the top of pie and it worked perfectly. Everyone I served it to (kids included) loved it! I don’t think the kids even knew the difference.

23 Abby@ Totes Delish October 19, 2012

I don’t have patience for those things either! Freezing, spreading, freezing, who has time for it?! When I need chocolate I need it stat!

24 Ang W October 19, 2012

Amazing. Amazing!! Ange I laughed so hard at the thought of you screaming at the pretend spider you left in the sink, and a few times at that… it’s definitely something I would do!

25 Robyn October 19, 2012

Over-the-top..Wowza! These look and sound amazing…use to love Kitkats(especially-chunky!)…When I hunt down the wafers…it’s on! Love, love, love your photos and the orange wrapper <3

26 Christa @ Edible Balance October 19, 2012

Angela, you are nothing short of amazing! I would never have the patience to do this, never in a million years! Having said that, do you deliver? ;)

27 Ali October 19, 2012

These look amazing. If you don’t want them all, I could surely take some off your hands for you. :) I don’t even have enough patience to bake so I know for sure I wouldn’t have the patience to make these! I will have to try the whipped cream though!

28 Irina @ Chocolatea Time October 19, 2012

Ummm one word: AMAZING!!! This is one of the best recipes I’ve seen in a while :)

29 Deirdre October 19, 2012

You are getting fancy, in a good way! Happy Weekend!

30 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 19, 2012

I did see this go up for a sec yesterday and got all excited!

You never cease to amaze me. If I ever grow some candy-making balls, I’m making this first!

31 Lynn October 19, 2012

These look like a good version of nutty bars too…miss the little debbies!

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2012

you are so right!

33 Radhika Sarohia October 19, 2012

These look sooooo good
I’m really wishing I wasn’t on a low-carb diet, I want to make these so badly!
Vegan desserts and candies are my downfall hehe:D
Thanks for posting these in time to make them for Halloween parties by the way :-D

34 Ana October 19, 2012

Oh wow, they look perfect!!
Now that is a project I would love to try at home with my son!
You are awesome Angela :-)
Ana

35 Trobairitz October 19, 2012

Oh man I wish I wasn’t so lazy right now. Those look so delicious. Nice job.

You are always so creative and an inspiration.

36 Willow October 19, 2012

I’ve published a few blog posts prematurely myself! It happens to the best of us. ;)

I can see where these bars are a bit finicky to make, but you’re kind of my idol for having even attempted it. There are some things I look at and never even consider making at home, and kit kat bars were definitely one of them. How are kit kat bars made? I dunno, magic? :P

Yours sound so much better than ‘real’ kit kats, anyway. Love the peanut butter in the middle!

37 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts October 19, 2012

That early ‘publish’ and then terror of Google Reader picking it up despite the ‘cancel’ is a fear I’ve navigated a few times. Kind of glad it’s not just me!

These look wonderful, and well worth the wait of a day – also much better than commercial Kit Kats :)

38 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 19, 2012

Oh the premature publish… I’ve done it twice and have proceeded to totally freak out both times!! These were worth the wait though… you’ve done an awesome job! I can imagine it was pretty messy, but at least the taste testing would have been fun! :)

39 Anya October 19, 2012

Wow, these look impressive! If you add a caramel layer, and a roasted peanuts layer, it will stop being a kit kat, but will be another amazing candy bar :)) Thank you for an amazing recipe, Angela!

40 Lia October 19, 2012

This seems like a good meditation recipe when you want to focus on an elaborate project and just ignore everything else and lick chocolate off of everything! Always a good thing to have the option of doing! Thanks for the effort!!

41 luv what you do October 19, 2012

That dip looks amazing! I could drink it with a straw : )

42 Bek @ Crave October 19, 2012

Amazing recipe! And with the visuals it doesn’t actually look that hard! You go girl!

43 Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen October 19, 2012

Love, love, love this recipe, but those spiders are freaking me the EFF OUT!!!!

44 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 20, 2012

If you’re giving these out at Halloween, I’m coming trick or treating at your house! ;)

45 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers October 20, 2012

Oh my gosh your Kit Kat Bars look amazing!! Your spider is kind of freaking me out!! :)

46 {Moni} @ Moni Meals October 20, 2012

Ang! Wow, you are your Halloween Recipes are totally amazing. Thanks for such great ideas. You pics are just fantatic too! Have a great weekend as well. :)

47 Susan October 20, 2012

Kudos – I would never have the patience for such meticulous work. I am quite sure the result was delicious however.

48 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 20, 2012

Duuude… wow.

I’m speechless. Just wow.

And, I’ve been caught doing the whole publish instead of save draft thing before. The darn buttons confuse me ALL the time!

49 Emily @ www.main-eats.com October 20, 2012

SO SO SO amazing! You have no done both of my favorite candies-Rollo’s AND Kit-Kat’s. WOW!

50 Tanya @ playful and hungry October 20, 2012

You seem to make all those trick or treat things! Great!
Well, this looks good! But I never really liked the original candy bar, so I guess I won’t try this one. ;)

51 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods October 20, 2012

Wow, I’m impressed! These look divine.

52 Kari@Loaves and Dishes October 20, 2012

These are terrific. I don’t mind the fussy. Fussy make me feel like I accomplished something big.

53 Heather Clifford October 20, 2012

Oh my gosh this is how you become the most popular house on halloween!

54 ali janine @ This Ninja Eats Broccoli October 21, 2012

I am so so so excited for these and the rolos! On another note: a friend of mine once put a sticker of a spider on their downstairs bathroom toilet seat for halloween, but ended up leaving it there all year. I still jump a little bit every time I go use that bathroom! Even if it’s multiple times throughout one night, I still jump lol

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 22, 2012

haha that would so be me!

56 Brandi October 21, 2012

I make that same chocolate coconut whipping cream as a dipping sauce for fruit! Posted it a couple weeks back and it is truly decadent right?! I used dark cocoa and it’s truly amazing and soooo much better than traditional whipping cream. I was never a fan of kit kat bars, more of a butterfinger girl, but yours look really good. I bet you were worn out from all those trials. I know how that feels! My kitchen is a war zone all the time, haha! All the photos definitely help it not to seem too difficult.

57 urbanvegan October 21, 2012

This should get an award for the most ambitious recipe ever! Kudos :)

58 Emily October 21, 2012

these look great! I wish I had the patience to make them haha

59 m October 21, 2012

Wow!!! These look soooooooooooooooo amazing, I’m drooling hahaha!
I will be making them soon, but I have a question about your snack-size baked oatmeal: aren’t you turning some of the omega 3 fats in the flax seeds into omega 6 fats when you bake them in the oven, or is that untrue? I was just wondering, thanks!

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 22, 2012

I’m not sure, but if you are concerned about this you can certainly bake the squares at a lower temperature for a longer amount of time. Enjoy!

61 Kimberly October 21, 2012

Hi! I’ve been following you for a while. Love your blog and your recipes. I just made your pumpkin pie brownies last night for my sister-in-law’s birthday as a “test” for Thanksgiving. HUGE hit! Kit Kats were always my favorite candy & adding PB?!? Whoa!! Two questions: 1. Do you think almond butter would work? And 2. Is it okay if I share the pumpkin pie brownies on my blog (http://myveganture.wordpress.com/) referencing you, of course. P.S. I also made your twice baked bar nuts for my Hubby, he loves them! Thanks!

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 22, 2012

Yes I think almond butter would work too. Feel free to reference the recipe on your blog, by the way! So happy you enjoyed it.

63 Alissa N October 21, 2012

I live in constant fear of accidentally hitting “publish” instead of “save as draft”!!!! You are so funny though, and obviously it wasn’t a big deal!! :)
These look amazing, I am loving all the Halloween recipes so far!! Kit Kats are my faves, and I wish I could just reach in and grab these!!

64 Nicole Marie Story October 22, 2012

Whilst visiting my parents earlier today, I showed them sneak previews of my favourite blogs, yours being one of them. My mother, a complete anti-vegan, anti-MY-lifestyle, expressed with excitement “Oh! Kit Kats!” So you intrigued my mother. Good job. :D

65 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 22, 2012

whohoo impressed the mom! ;)

66 Jill October 22, 2012

These look amazing! Kit Kats were definitely my fave once upon a time.

I haven’t seen the individual sheets of wafer anywhere. I was thinking for a less labor intensive knockoff, you could just dip those rectangular vanilla wafer cookies in chocolate. I’m almost certain they don’t contain any animal products in the ingredients.

67 Sonal October 22, 2012

Oh my goodness, these looks aaaahmazing :) I don’t know where I would find wafer though, but would love to try it :)

68 heidi @ a week from thursday October 22, 2012

All of these candy treats are too much! But they look so good.

69 Misty October 22, 2012

Just an observation, but as a dedicated reader of your blog for about three years I feel like I have to tell you I’m not as excited to read the blog anymore. I used to get to work and click over to your site first thing. But I have found since you have started what I believe is the busy schedule you have with your book (which I am very excited about) your blog entries just have not been what they used to be, nor are they as often. It’s been awhile since I was really inspired here. This isn’t hate mail by any means, I just thought I should let you know. At least for me Ohsheglows, which I used to tell EVERYONE about has lost its spark for me. :(

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 22, 2012

Hey Misty, I’m sorry to hear that you feel that way. I work extremely hard on my blog and book (about 65-70 hours a week no less) and this is very discouraging to hear. Perhaps you might consider the work that goes into maintaining a recipe blog while working on a cookbook and other endeavors. It’s not easy and I’m sorry that I can’t be everything you are looking for. Can you be more specific about what you mean? I wasn’t clear on it. Either way, I do appreciate your honest feedback and I wish you all the best.

71 Todd October 31, 2012

I couldn’t disagree more. Keep up the great work, Angela!

72 Jessica October 22, 2012

I am thinking about doing this with a healthy twist. I am thinking of making protein bars like this but with Raw Protein power mixed with almond butter…kind of like PowerCrunch bars…hmmm

73 Radhika SArohia October 22, 2012

You have a vegan cookbook coming out?

That’s marvelous :D

Plz stop by Los Angeles for a book signing hehe

74 Radhika SArohia October 22, 2012

Shucks, sorry, wrong email above

Anyway, I’ll be making these vegan Kit Kat soon, I’m slowly gathering up all the ingredients:)

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 22, 2012

Now a signing in LA would be fun! I believe LA is in my top 10 cities (where readers are from) according to google analytics.

76 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner October 23, 2012

Angela, you are AMAZING!!!! You always have the BEST ideas!!! :D

77 Kitchen Witch October 23, 2012

Hello there,

Just wanted to say I enjoy your blog very much!

About the torte wafers, I saw them for sale at Honest Eds (Bloor & Bathurst in Toronto) a few years ago, and have been mulling over the idea of making a
giant Kit Kat or Coffee Crisp bar, ever since.

Thought I’d use a mocha hazelnut mixture for the center and cover it with a ganache.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you might be able to find the wafers at Honest Eds.

78 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2012

Thanks for the tip!

79 MerelyMarie October 25, 2012

“Break me off a piece of that!” LOL …I couldn’t resist.

What a neat idea! :)

80 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2012

heh :)

81 Kevin Lin October 29, 2012

looks like a healthy comfort food to me…….lol

82 Kevin @ Closet Cooking October 31, 2012

Making your own kit kat bars sounds like so much fun!

83 June Sampson October 31, 2012

When I have the use of both hands again I will make this!

84 Jamie March 8, 2013

WOW you are my hero, that is a lot of work! They look amazing!

85 Ariana October 21, 2014

Hi Angela! I’ve just done a Halloween recipe roundup on my blog and I included this recipe, as well as your Apple Bites, Rolo Knock-Offs, and Twix bars, with a couple of pictures, all with links back to your blog. Please let me know if this is not okay, but I know my readers will enjoy your recipes just as much as I do! Thanks :)

86 Rachel January 24, 2015

Honey Wafers would make excellent tort wafers! http://www.honeywafer.com

87 Catherine February 23, 2015

I was absolutely delighted to stumble across your blog and find this recipe. My boyfriend loves chocolate—especially Kit Kats!—but his intolerance towards lactose has gotten worse and worse over the years. I have been desperately trying to find recipes for lactose free chocolate desserts to make for his upcoming birthday this week, and I could hardly believe my surprise when I came across this. It is perfect; a seemingly delicious lactose free chocolate dessert that would also be impressive in presentation, that is both thoughtful (being my boyfriend’s favourite chocolate) and creative! The step-by-step photos with the captions made making these really easy, by the way, so thank you for that! Also, for those of you wondering, you can find those wafer sheets at most European grocery stores. Ask somebody working there for “tort wafers” used for “tort cakes”… they will usually know what you’re talking about. About 5 sheets come in a pack for roughly $3.

88 Dana March 22, 2015