Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

Victoria British Columbia 5699   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

Oh, Victoria. My, my! You dazzled us with your charm and beauty. You even gave us picture perfect weather during the third week of September…lucky us!

Upon our arrival, we instantly knew 2 days wouldn’t be long enough, but all the more reason to go back soon. We literally did not stop the entire 2 days. I’d say we were quite successful doing most things on our list, although we left much of the beautiful island untouched.

Here are some of my favourite shots from our time in Victoria. A photography lover’s dream, it was! At the end of the post, I’ll give you a brief summary of what we did and where we ate. To my surprise, Victoria is very vegan-friendly. Three cheers for that!

Victoria British Columbia 5692   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!  Victoria British Columbia 5744   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

Victoria British Columbia 5718   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

Victoria British Columbia 5803   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

Victoria British Columbia 5782   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

Ghost pictures were taken at night!! (click to enlarge) Eric made me do it… ;)

Victoria British Columbia 5787 thumb   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography! Victoria British Columbia 5781 thumb   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

20120917 141258   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

Victoria British Columbia 6073   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography! Victoria British Columbia 5671   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

Victoria British Columbia 5733   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

Victoria British Columbia 5801   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!  Victoria British Columbia 5688   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

Victoria British Columbia 5560   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

Victoria British Columbia 5583   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

Victoria British Columbia 5584   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

Victoria British Columbia 5643   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

Victoria British Columbia 5637   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography! Victoria British Columbia 5702   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!Victoria British Columbia 5815   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography! Victoria British Columbia 5674   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

Victoria British Columbia 3441   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

What we did:

- Walked around the charming downtown, Butchart Gardens, drove along the coast and walked along beaches (man, that sun is strong!), shopping (check out Sarah’s Place in Market Square), farmer’s market, enjoyed a drink or two at Irish Times pub with amazing live music, bought snack food at Planet Organic, waterfront for sunset, late night photography fun w/ tripod.

Victoria British Columbia 5749 thumb   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!  Victoria British Columbia 5620 thumb   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!  Victoria British Columbia 5614 thumb   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

Where we stayed:

- Oswego Hotel. Modern suites. Full kitchen (I really appreciated the French press and blender!). 5-10 min walk to downtown. Downside – no A/C and a hot room, but we weren’t in it much anyway. From what I hear, A/C is rarely needed on the island. You can click to enlarge the above hotel pictures.

Victoria British Columbia 3444   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

Food highlights:

- Café Bliss (loved the Thai Noodle Bowl and the Bliss BLT!!), the famous Rebar Modern Food, brunch at Mo:Le (vegan options like tofu scramble). All highly recommended!

Victoria British Columbia 5912   Victoria, British Columbia –Trip Highlights & Photography!

I think I might have to put together an entire post on Butchart Gardens…so. many. pictures. to share!

Victoria, you’ll forever hold a special place in my heart.

Anna (NorthVanVegan) September 30, 2012

What gorgeous photos! Rebar is amazing; I bought their cookbook. I’ll have to check out Sarah’s Place — did you go to Green Cuisine while you were in Market Square? They have some of my favourite desserts.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2012

We popped in and snagged a couple desserts there….yum!! forgot to mention it in my recap.

Cassy September 30, 2012

I was just there last weekend and found the Green Cuisine and fell in love. We were there three days and found it on our last day. We went back for every meal and bought the Gluten Free cookbook. I am making dinner and dessert out of the cookbook tonight.

Anna (NorthVanVegan) September 30, 2012

I have that cookbook too! Love the mudpie bars and peanut butter blondies!

Kari September 30, 2012

Isn’t Victoria beautiful!! I am so lucky to live here full time. Can you believe the premier recently stated that she avoids Victoria?! “No real people” “sick culture” or something along those lines.
So thanks for showing how nice it is here! Hope you enjoyed yourself!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty September 30, 2012

Love that you went to cafe bliss!! Hope you got a chance to try some of their desserts too!! My fav stop in Victoria! We love it there – it’s only 3 hours away but we don’t get their often enough!

Samantha September 30, 2012

This makes me miss Vic so much!

Sarah @ Yogi in Action September 30, 2012

I love Victoria! My boyfriend and I have often talked of moving there because it’s so beautiful- and spring like weather year round! I loved looking through the pictures and being able to tell where you were!

Julie September 30, 2012

I was in Victoria this summer for a week for the Epicure Selections national conference. I agree with you, this place is amazing!! I’m from New-Brunswick and it was my first big trip. I was just truly amazed by the beauty of the city. I’m glad you enjoyed it too :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 30, 2012

All such gorgeous pics!! I love the one of the street art. I think I’ve been to Victoria before but I was probably too young to remember anything about it. Can’t wait to see more!!

Stephanie September 30, 2012

Such beautiful photos!! Now I want to go to Victoria :) I love the art on the ground… Glad you had a good time!

Dayanna September 30, 2012

LOVE Victoria! It is like my home away from home (vancouver)! Island living is so beautiful and relaxing – I hope to one day live there after post seconday schooling is done! AND so many great restaurants there – I always have such a hard to time deciding where I want to eat when I am over there.. SO GOOD! Did you go out to Ogden point and Beacon hill park?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2012

I don’t think we made it there, but will have to next time. :)

Kelly September 30, 2012

Glad you enjoyed this beautiful city. It’s another gorgeous day here today. Come back soon :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks September 30, 2012

Ok you need to work for their board of tourism because you just convinced me to put this on my life’s bucket list of places I need to see. How stunning! That blue, blue sky! And all there is to do and see..how fun!

Danika @ The Lesbrary September 30, 2012

You’ll have to come back! You missed Green Cuisine (though the desserts are the best part) and Lotus Pond! Lotus Pond is an amazing all-vegan, Buddhist Chinese food buffet. It’s definitely my favorite restaurant here.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2012

We did manage to snag a couple desserts from GC – so good! I forgot to add it into my food recap. I had this AMAZING caramel-like square with hemp seeds – have you ever tried it? I can’t recall the name but man it was good. Didn’t get to Lotus though, but it sounds like a nice spot.

laura September 30, 2012

Stunning photos! Cafe Bliss is my fav place to eat here.
Come back soon, so much more to see/do :)

Leslie September 30, 2012

I am surprised you were surprised at it’s vegan friendliness. Being vegan/vegetarian is one of our westcoast stereotypes. One I happen to love. :-) So glad you liked it out here. Next time you come through, you should travel up the island to visit some of the central/north island communities and experience our absolutely amazing outdoors. The island has it all. Wonderful cities and breathtaking wilderness.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2012

I know, right? I’ve heard about it being veg-friendly in Vancouver, but I didn’t realize it was in so many areas. What a pleasant surprise though! We would love to go back and spend more time exploring the island. I feel like we only got a taste of it.

Heathy @ Sweetly Raw September 30, 2012

Such beautiful photography Angela! I’ve only been to Victoria once as a child but would like to go back. I do remember going to the gardens though. I would love to eat at Rebar! A friend gave me their cookbook years ago and it’s fabulous. Will you be sharing more of your eats from the trip?

Iris Lee September 30, 2012

Your photos are gorgeous (as always)!!! Looks like you had a great time – makes me want to visit Victoria some time. :)

Stefanie September 30, 2012

So glad you enjoyed Victoria, and that you were blessed with beautiful weather while you were here. I’m lucky enough to live here myself and I try to take it all in on a daily basis (Rebar is one of our favorites!) Please come back and visit again soon ;)

Stefanie Dixon

P.S. Love reading your blog.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2012

Lucky girl! We will definitely be back!!

Angela September 30, 2012

Wow, those are beautiful photos! Makes me want to get back to Victoria.

Niki September 30, 2012

So glad to hear you enjoyed Victoria! September is always the nicest weather of the year. I don’t think I actually know anyone here who owns an air conditioning unit for their house. We truly only get a weeks worth of super hot weather a year, it’s just not worth it. You hit up most of my favorite places so I am crossing my fingers for some Victoria inspired recipe recreations soon!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2012

That’s what we heard too. makes complete sense!
Good to know Sept is the nicest time of the year there. I find we always have good luck when traveling in Sept!

Niki September 30, 2012

Ya for whatever reason September seems to be fairly rain free which is rare for the island. The spring is just beautiful here, but it’s very hit and miss for rainy days. I’d only plan an April-June trip here if it was for a week just to guarantee some dry days :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 1, 2012

good to know, thanks!
A man we spoke with at a pottery store told us it’s not uncommon to have a couple month stretches without rain in the summer. Do you find that to be the case too?

Niki October 2, 2012

I’d say that’s a lie. We always get a week or two of rain every summer!

Chelsea September 30, 2012

It’s so cool to see that you have romped around my homeland!!! Looks like you had a great trip!

Love,
CP

Gillian September 30, 2012

I am so homesick seeing this! Miss taking the ferry over from Vancouver! Beautiful pics Ange!

Alex @ Raw Recovery September 30, 2012

Gosh those pictures look beautiful!! I want to go!

Kimberly September 30, 2012

We went to Victoria last month and spent a week there. It still wasn’t enough time! It so was fun to go through the post and point out places that we saw. I was so excited to see you stayed at The Owesgo too! We loved it! I was a little surprised with the lack of AC as well but we had a great cross breeze with the windows so it was perfect. I can’t wait to go back!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 1, 2012

glad you also enjoyed it :)

Danielle September 30, 2012

What gorgeous pictures! Was that lit up ivy covered stone building your hotel? That building is so beautiful!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 1, 2012

Nope that was the Fairmont I think?

Natalie October 5, 2012

Hi
The hotel with the ivy is the Fairmont Empress but we just call it the Empress. The building with all the lights is our Legislative Building. It and the Empress were built at around the same time, and designed by John Rattenbury. We are very proud of both those beautiful buildings :) Victoria is my home town, can you tell?!?!
I think it is perfecting timing that I found your website right after you were here. I was looking for a gluten free, dairy free pumpkin pie and yours was the first recipe to come up. The pie is in the oven and I can`t wait to try it. I made it with the classic filling and the pecan crust. Smells great in my house :)

Ivy September 30, 2012

So glad you had a great trip! Lovely photos!

Ashlee September 30, 2012

Is that a cruise ship? I’m sure that would be a gorgeous area to take a cruise!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 1, 2012

I think it might have been! We were on the ferry to the island when I took that pic.

Natasha Kay October 12, 2012

That’s actually another BC Ferry (similar to the one you were on). They go in both directions non-stop throughout the day and at one point in the 1.5 hr journey, you will pass each other. :)

But yes, our ferries that take you from Vancouver (the mainland) to the Island are more like cruise ships. They have cars in the lower decks and then 2-3 decks of seating, restaurants, etc. Nothing fancy but better than most ferries I’ve been on around the world!

Sarah September 30, 2012

Looks lovely! Can I just say that this is my favourite travel post I have ever read? I’m not a big fan of travel recaps when they are long and drawn out. This was a perfect way to do it – the highlight reel :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 1, 2012

Thanks Sarah!

Cher @ Weddicted September 30, 2012

Omg – the buildngs! So beautiful. I hope to visit B.C. one day, too.

Stephanie @ Legally Blinde September 30, 2012

Beautiful photos! Looks like you guys had a really great trip. I love the ghost pictures, haha – you two are adorable :)

Heidi kokborg October 1, 2012

Oh my! It looks amazing! I wanna go too :)

Maria October 1, 2012

It looks beautiful there- I would love to visit it someday.

Nadia October 1, 2012

I moved to Victoria this summer. I’d fallen in love with it for all the reasons you mentioned! :)

Tara October 1, 2012

I was born and raised in Victoria but left in mid-September to go to the UK, in hopes of finding work (not happening!) and staying for a bit. In doing this, I’ve realized how much I actually love Victoria and now I terribly miss it. Ah, sigh! Thank you for this post, it’s so lovely to see other people’s perspectives on my hometown. Rebar and Mo:Le are amazing!

Kasandra Bracken October 1, 2012

Beautiful photos! Isn’t the west coast amazing? I sure miss Planet Organic—I think they have another location somewhere in the GTA area though? Brampton maybe?

I definitely find that BC is more health-friendly, animal-friendly, environment friendly in general.. it’s hard not to be when you’re surrounded by such perfect scenery. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 1, 2012

yup we have one in Port Credit :)

Sonal October 1, 2012

Victoria looks beautiful! I had been when I was very young so don’t remember a lot of it, but from the looks of things…i have to go again! :) Glad you had such a great trip!

adam October 1, 2012

We lived there for a year and I have to say I felt Rebar a disappointment, but that was more than adequately made up for by many other places around town. Green Cuisine was always a favourite and easy go-to though : )

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 1, 2012

Gorgeous shots – I love that one of the sunset (sunrise? I can never tell the difference)! I really hope to visit there someday soon.

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh October 1, 2012

I am SO putting this on my ‘to visit’ list! Gorgeous pics!

Jo @ LivingMintGreen October 1, 2012

Wow, such gorgeous photos, Angela! :D Did you guys EVER luck out with the weather! xoxo

Abby@ Totes Delish Blog October 1, 2012

Gorgeous photos! I love your pictures, they make me want to visit Canada!

Page 1 of 212»