Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

roasted butternut squash with almond parmesan 65072   Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

It’s good to be home.

Sketchie 6474   Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

Sketchie agrees, after a fun (but tiring) visit with his two furry cat friends. Luckily, grandpa put up with his antics yet again. I won’t go into the multiple accidents he had, but I’ll just tell you that I have an amazing, patient, and kind father-in-law. He deserves many of his favourite baked goods when we visit over Thanksgiving in a couple weeks. And possibly a 6-week spa getaway.

After a few rants and raves once home, Sketchie finally settled into his old digs, but unfortunately didn’t get the memo that we’re still on Pacific time. I have no idea how much coffee I consumed this weekend, but let’s just say my old friend, Bodum, is back to stay!

Back in Ontario, it’s clear that summer has come to an end. Trees are starting to change colour and my robe and slippers have appeared for the first time in months. I was so acclimatized to the amazing heat we had in B.C., I temporarily forgot all about this fall stuff. With bronzed skin for the first time all summer, I came home only to cover it up with sweaters and pants. The summer clothes are in a rejected, useless heap in front of the washing machine.

Since the weather was fitting, I consoled myself with grocery shopping and a healthy dose of fall produce. It’s good to be back in the kitchen, if anything!

roasted butternut squash 6513   Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

This weekend was all about squash…and cookies…and coffee beans. Actually, cookies were the first thing I made, not that that should come as a surprise to anyone. You’d think I’d be aiming for healthier fare after vacation, but I had one thing on my mind: recreating the amazing cookie as big as my head. That recipe will be coming soon, but since it’s Monday and we’re probably trying to eat a bit healthier, I have a vegetable recipe for you today. Don’t worry though, I don’t do boring vegetables.

roasted butternut squash 6431   Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

This recipe is inspired by the roasted butternut squash recipe I made back in 2009. It’s incredibly simple to make using only about 15-20 minutes of prep while the oven does the rest. This time, I made an almond pecan parmesan “cheese” and added Lacinato kale for green power. The result is a comforting fall side dish that will warm you to the bone.

roasted butternut squash with almond parmesan 6493   Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

Email, text, or print this recipe

1 year ago: Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, Coconut Soup
2 years ago: Maple Butternut Squash and Apple Casserole

Yield: 4 servings (as a side)

Ingredients:

• 0.9 kg -1.13 kg (2-2.5 pound) butternut squash
  • 2 lg. cloves garlic, minced
  • 2-3 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
  • 1 cup de-stemmed and roughly chopped Lacinato kale

Almond Pecan Parmesan “cheese”:

• 1/4 cup almonds*
  • 1/4 cup pecans
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1/8th tsp fine grain sea salt
  • 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease a casserole dish with oil.

2. Peel the squash. Thinly slice off the bottom and top and then slice through the middle lengthwise to make two halves. Remove seeds & guts with a grapefruit spoon or ice cream scoop. Chop two halves into 1-inch chunks and place into casserole dish.

3. Add minced garlic, parsley, oil, and salt into casserole dish and stir until well combined with the squash. Do not add the kale yet.

4. Cover casserole dish with a lid (or tin foil with a few holes poked) and bake at 400F for about 45 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, process the parmesan ingredients together until chunky (or just chop by hand and mix in a bowl). Make sure to leave lots of nut pieces for texture. I used a mini processor and it worked great with minimal clean up.

6. After about 45 mins (or when squash is just fork tender), remove from the oven and reduce heat to 350F. Stir in the chopped kale and sprinkle the parmesan all over the squash. Bake for another 5-8 minutes, until the nuts are lightly toasted. Watch closely so you don’t burn them. Remove & serve!

Note: If you need a nut-free parmesan, try this version with sesame seeds.

roasted butternut squash with almond parmesan 6512   Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

Status: Warm with a happy belly.

Ashley October 9, 2012

Just made this one and paired it with your ceasar dressing on a big green salad and quinoa. Perfect fall dinner! Currently snacking on cold leftovers as I type, yum!

Christy October 9, 2012

I made this tonight. Though I omitted the nutirtional yeast and parsley, I added rosemary and parmesean cheese. I thought this dish was FANTASTIC! Ate it as my main course for dinner and didn’t even need anything else with it. I really LOVED it! Thanks for sharing!

april October 11, 2012

Thanks for the delicious idea! My husband and I LOVED it!

Lana October 11, 2012

I tried this recipe and it was SO easy and very very good! My boyfriend and I have started gluten free and I am 90% plant based so I was so excited to try this! It tastes very fall and we loved the ‘cheese’ It is very filling, but I also made some quinoa and served it on top of that. LOVED IT. Thanks! I can’t wait to try more of your recipes

Kate October 13, 2012

Hi Angela! I’ve been using your blog as my go-to recipes ever since I had to cut out dairy from my diet a few months ago. This recipe was DELICIOUS! The flavors were great and really completed the butternut squash. My boyfriend couldn’t stop eating it hehe. Definitely going to become a staple in my cooking. Thank you!

Suzie Mason October 14, 2012

Have cooked this butternut squash recipe twice in a week- my husband adores it. The nut Parmesan is fabulous and I will use it on a multitude of other dishes- thank you

Alexandrine October 21, 2012

This was soooo delicious :) I really recommend you don’t skip the nut mixture!

Jennifer Peters October 31, 2012

I have made this recipe several times this month! It’s a great easy dish for our “meatless Mondays” which my husband usually dreads. We serve this up as a main course and I actually add extra kale. It is perfect for an easy dish on a cold night!

Luci November 5, 2012

I made this this weekend. So good!

Karen November 8, 2012

I love all of your recipes. Have not made one yet that I dont like. Getting to the point we just browse your recipes and keep those items on stock.

Where did you get those cute black cast iron bowls you serve these up in. They are cute!

Laura S November 10, 2012

OK I thought the butternut squash and black bean burritos were my favorite squash recipe until I met this one! You’re right, the nut cheese definitely adds the “WOW” factor. I left out the parsley (not a fan) and added more kale, and also put it on broil for the last 5 minutes to crisp it up a bit. I could not stop eating it!! I will definitely be making this for Thanksgiving and I’m sure it will be a crowd-pleaser…thank you!

Krissy November 11, 2012

This recipe is amazing! I have made it several times and recommended it to a bunch of friends. I increased both the garlic and kale (personal preference)… my husband is amazed at how much the almond-pecan topping actually tastes like cheese. Home run!

Alison November 12, 2012

Mmmmmm! So good. I used walnuts and chard because it’s what I had, and I kept everything else the same. Delicious. I so love your recipes!

Iris November 23, 2012

Seems a great recipe to try! Do you have any recommendations for what to eat with it?

Jacqueline November 23, 2012

Absolutely amazing!
1st time having Kale and the Almond Pecan Parmesan “Cheese” and it was delicious!
Thanks for the recipe!

Lana November 25, 2012

Hi Angela,
I just hosted my first vegan thanksgiving for my family and made this!!! I didn’t change a thing and it turned out sooooo good. We absolutely loved the vegan parmesan toping! We ate the left overs straight from the fridge the next morning — even cold it was amazing!! Thanks!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2012

Hey Lana, I’m so happy to hear this! Thanks for trying it out :) Happy belated Thanksgiving!

Jenn November 28, 2012

A little late to the party, but just whipped this up and it is delish! the nut cheese is so simple but really adds that extra flavor. i overcooked my squash a little (story of my life) but don’t mind it a little squishy :) thanks for the great recipe!!

Michelle December 4, 2012

Where did you get that black cast iron dish? My favorite restaurant carries those and I’ve been searching for them!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2012

Hey Michelle, I think I bought them at Kitchen Stuff Plus store. They are SOLID/heavy and a bit expensive like most cast iron.

Sarah January 2, 2013

I loved this recipe! It will definitely be going into my regular winter food rotation. After my first serving I ended up doubling the almond, pecan, “parm” and kale topping. It probably upped the calories a decent amount but it was so good and so easy to make I knew I needed more immediately. First time using nooch too and it was so perfect. Thank you!

Sarah January 2, 2013

come to think of it, I didn’t weigh the squash, which was quite large, so maybe that’s why the topping initially seemed a bit sparse. I could have used to much squash.

Caitlin January 5, 2013

I love the 239 comments stating the obvious (OMG this looks SO GOOD I can’t wait to make it blah blah blah), but as someone who has actually made the recipe, my opinion matters at least 1,000,000x more. And with that introduction, let me say: it tastes even better than it looks. AMAZING! Thank you!

Kim January 15, 2013

Angela!!! This is the Best.Recipe.Ever!!! I can’t stop eating it!! Thank you so much!!

Danielle January 17, 2013

I made this dish last night and absolutly loved it! Even my husband who swore he didn’t like butternut squash (all he had ever had was soup) loved it and said “you can make this anytime you want!”. I love the flavor that the kale adds, and I honestly do love recipes where the hardest part was trying to cut through the squash!

Jessica January 26, 2013

I made this, but I processed the squash into thin slices, and processed the kale so it looked like parsley, then added a citrus fennel sage herbal blend instead of parsley. It was awesome!

Christine February 5, 2013

I made this over the weekend and WOW! I really like the different textures, plus the sweetness of the squash contrasting the nut topping. You’ve done it again :)

Cindy February 6, 2013

Oh my this recipe looks awesome. I love the mini cast iron pots & really like the twig forks! I’m gonna have to look for those when I’m ready to swap out mine.

Rachel March 5, 2013

I’m making your “Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan” recipe tonight. I found it on Pinterest, which I find very addicting. It looks so yummy. I can’t wait to see how it turns out. I will let you know. :)

Marie March 10, 2013

Hi!

I just made this recipe (with sesame seed replacement due to nut allergy) and omg it is delicious! I also used Swiss chard instead of kale.

Great recipe and thanks!!!

Natalya March 20, 2013

Hi Angela,

I just discovered your blog today. Can you please tell me what would you pair this dish with? What about the sides?

Keep up the great work!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 21, 2013

I kinda cheated when I made this and I served it with a Field Roast vegan sausage…so good (the italian flavour)

Mélanie April 8, 2013

Ha! I just made this for the first time and added the Field Roast vegan sausage to it to make it a meal! Then while i was having the last bite i read your comment! Great minds and all. Once again a flawless recipe. Leftovers may or may not make it to tomorrow’s lunch, or boyfriend’s dinner :)

Jan April 10, 2013

We had a guest this evening who is a Vegan. I searched the web and found this recipe. Wow!!! We were ALL amazed at how delicious it was…even our two year old ate it up! I am looking forward to trying other recipes on your site! Thanks!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2013

Im so happy to hear that Jan!

Laurel P. April 29, 2013

I didn’t have butternut squash and kale but I did have acorn squash and broccoli and this recipe worked great with those components as well! Even my 2 year old and meat-loving husband loved it! Thank you!

Jan July 16, 2013

Last month, I had a vegan friend over for dinner, and had stumbled upon this wonderful recipe! IT WAS DELICIOUS!!! I am making it again tonight and can’t wait! Thankfully we can get butternut squash in July!! LOL Thanks!

Robyn August 25, 2013

Angela,
I’m kind of new to butternut squash. I’m not sure how to peel it before it’s cooked. That seems really hard. Do you have any tips? Thanks!
Robyn

Aimee August 31, 2013

This is probably a weird comment, but I love your fork. Wherever did you get it?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2013

Hey Aimee, It’s from West Elm. Hope this helps!

Wendy October 1, 2013

I made this last night and it was divine. I’m going to try very hard not to over make it, which is often what I do when I find a great recipe, and this website is FULL of recipes that I over-make because they’re all so great! I just happened to stumble onto this recipe from a picture off to the side of your site that filters through with a series of others. To find it again without scanning the entire recipe index, I googled the key words that I remembered from reading the recipe. I was wondering where it lives on your website so that I can easily pull it up on my iPad since I don’t have a printer. Same question with your broccoli cheese soup.
Angela, everything I’ve tried on your website is amazing. I really appreciate the effort you put into this. We all benefit greatly from your healthy, delicious foods, and incredible play by play photos. Beautiful! Thanks a million.

Ashley October 8, 2013

Can you sub spinach for kale? What do you think?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2013

I can’t see why not :)

Sean M October 11, 2013

Think I could substitute baby spinach for that kale? I’m really not a kale fan.

Amy October 13, 2013

I’ve made this recipe twice, and my whole family loves it! The second time (today) is Thanksgiving, a time to indulge- so I drizzled some pure maple syrup over the top for an extra treat. Superb!

Donna October 13, 2013

I’m not a fan of pecans. Is it okay if I don’t use them?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2013

You can probably use whatever nuts you prefer :) enjoy!

Kim November 4, 2013

What is the purpose of nutritional yeast, never heard of it. Can I skip it?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 5, 2013

It provides a cheesy flavour :) Skip it if you like, but do try it sometime as it’s great in this recipe!

Donna tanner November 4, 2013

Why the yeast? Can you do without

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 5, 2013

It adds a lovely “cheesy” flavour :)

Page 3 of 4«1234»