How To Roast Perfect Pumpkin Seeds – Easy, Crunchy, Addictive!

how to roast pumpkin seeds 5151   How To Roast Perfect Pumpkin Seeds – Easy, Crunchy, Addictive!

The first time I roasted pumpkin seeds, I burned the crap out of them.

It was heart-breaking, especially since I wasn’t convinced it was even worth the effort in the first place. All that seed cleaning and pumpkin de-stringing – I didn’t even get to enjoy the fruits of my labour. Hrmph.

Here is the part that no one told me about: The inner seeds cook much faster than the outer shell. I kept peeking in the oven and everything looked fine on the outside. Little did I know, the inner seeds were burnt to smithereens.

Well, thank goodness I didn’t give up after that first miserable attempt! My life just wouldn’t be complete without roasted pumpkin seeds.

how to roast pumpkin seeds 5139   How To Roast Perfect Pumpkin Seeds – Easy, Crunchy, Addictive!

I’m happy to say, the second batch didn’t just work, it blew my mind! The cup of seeds I roasted did not last long between the two of us. Every pass by the kitchen was an excuse to grab a crispy handful off the pan.

how to roast pumpkin seeds 5134   How To Roast Perfect Pumpkin Seeds – Easy, Crunchy, Addictive!

Today, I’m sharing my secrets for a fantastic batch of roasted pumpkin seeds. If you’ve ever doubted they were worth the effort or had so-so results, I beg you to try this one last time. Only I know it won’t be the last time, but the start of a life-long obsession. Watch out pumpkins, we’re coming for ya!

How To Roast Pumpkin Seeds:

1. Clean the seeds. The annoying-but-necessary task is that you have to meticulously clean the seeds until there are no signs of pumpkin guts. After picking off the strands, give them a GOOD rinse with water in a colander. Sidenote – If someone comments telling me a quick way to clean pumpkin seeds, I will love you forever!!

Note: Some of you say that sugar pumpkin seeds yield much crispier seeds than carving pumpkins. I used sugar pumpkin seeds and mine were certainly super crispy!

how to roast pumpkin seeds 5107   How To Roast Perfect Pumpkin Seeds – Easy, Crunchy, Addictive!

2. Boil for 10 minutes in salt water. Using Elise’s method for inspiration, I added the pumpkin seeds to a medium-sized pot of water along with 1 tsp salt. Bring it to a boil and reduce the heat to simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes over low-medium heat. Apparently, this method helps make the pumpkin seeds easier to digest and produces a crispy outer shell during roasting.

boiling pumpkin seeds 5108   How To Roast Perfect Pumpkin Seeds – Easy, Crunchy, Addictive!

3. Drain the seeds in a colander and dry lightly with a paper towel or tea towel. The seeds will stick to the towel, but just rub them off with your fingers. Don’t worry, they don’t have to be bone dry – just a light pat down.

4. Spread seeds onto a baking sheet and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil (I only needed to use about 1/2-1 tsp). Massage oil into seeds and add a generous sprinkle of Herbamare (or fine grain sea salt will do). Try to spread out the seeds as thin as possible with minor overlapping.

how to roast pumpkin seeds 5111   How To Roast Perfect Pumpkin Seeds – Easy, Crunchy, Addictive!

5. Roast seeds at 325F for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and stir. Roast for another 8-10 minutes (if your oven temp is off, this could vary a lot!). During the last 5 minutes of roasting, remove a few seeds and crack open to make sure the inner seeds are not burning (you don’t want the inner seed brown). Cool a couple and pop them into your mouth to test. They are ready when the shell is super crispy and easy to bite through. The inner seed should have only a hint of golden tinge to it. They should not be brown.

6. EAT! Remove from oven, add a bit more Herbamare, and dig in! Ah, so good, so good! There is no need to remove the outer shell; it’s quite possibly the best part.

how to roast pumpkin seeds 5131   How To Roast Perfect Pumpkin Seeds – Easy, Crunchy, Addictive!

I had no idea I was going to love freshly roasted pumpkin seeds so much. I love how crispy the outer shell is and how fun it is to crunch. They taste a bit like popcorn, but they are much crunchier, filling, and of course packed with nutrition.

how to roast pumpkin seeds 5136   How To Roast Perfect Pumpkin Seeds – Easy, Crunchy, Addictive!

Yes, pumpkin seeds are super healthy for you! They are packed with iron, magnesium, fibre, zinc, potassium, healthy fats, protein, and tryptophan (which can boost your mood and help you sleep). Vegans & vegetarians have been using pumpkin seeds for years as a natural source of iron. I think it’s just about my favourite way to get iron, next to Iron Woman Gingerbread Smoothies, of course. Be sure to pair it with Vitamin C to absorb the most iron you can.

7. Share with some very lucky people! (but chose them wisely…)

how to roast pumpkin seeds 5145   How To Roast Perfect Pumpkin Seeds – Easy, Crunchy, Addictive!

I promise you’ll never throw the seeds out again.

I want to buy pumpkins just to be able to roast another batch of seeds. And of course, make homemade pumpkin puree. I’m already looking forward to making some different flavour combos – maybe garlic powder, cayenne, rosemary, brown sugar or cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, etc would both be nice to try out?  I can’t wait to experiment…many ideas are a-swirlin’ in my…stomach.

Looking for more pumpkin recipes?

Creamy Pumpkin Pie Smoothie for Two

How to roast a sugar pumpkin

All Natural Pumpkin Butter from Scratch (the bomb!!)

Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Parfait

Raw Pumpkin Pecan Butter

and about 30 more pumpkin recipes!

What spices would YOU put on your roasted pumpkin seeds?

To email, text, or print the directions, click here.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 17, 2012

I make these all winter long! Never heard that about boiling it… will have to try it.

They are also really good roasted with coconut oil, cinnamon, and a bit of cardamom. Or savory with a curry powder!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2012

coconut oil – great idea!

Tanya @ playful and hungry September 20, 2012

I actually made this with coconut oil – my favorite! Adding garam masala is also nice…

Tanesha May 15, 2013

Add a bit of cinnamon even better!

Dayna B October 15, 2013

I soak the seeds for a while and the pumpkin gunk separates if you set the water level hughg enough…pumkin seeds float! Straining through paper towel after colander helps too.

Eve Abernethy October 19, 2013

I am trying this out now and have found an extremely easy way to separate the seed from the pulp. It was really an accident, I was pondering how to clean them, (carved the pumpkin first), then scooped out with a stainless spoon onto the counter top. While asking myself what would be the easiest method to clean the seed I reached down and grabbed a handful of pulp, VIOLA!!!!!! The seeds squeezed right out of the pulp and what I didn’t catch stuck to my hand. I started just picking up the pulp and squeezing. Amazing results. Now to roast. TX

Teri December 1, 2013

I wear a pair of gloves to make cleanig seeds easier and keeps my hands from itching. Soaking seeds for about an hour first makes cleaning a snap. I rub seeds against each other. I’ve attempted seeds before and failed. No one would eat them. This receipe is awesome. Thanks!

christian dath January 30, 2014

Your method required to use a silver spoon to scoop out the pumpkin seeds I only own golden spoons. Are you suggesting I go out and purchase some silver spoons. Please respond as soon as possible

Jonathan Halini January 31, 2014

This is a very good point since I only own yellow and red spoons and would be very interested to see how the spoon color affects the scooping of the pumpkin seeds.

Alex March 4, 2014

Not sure if troll.

Laura B October 20, 2013

I found this also that the seeds are buoyant and the pumpkin guts are not.

Jay R. Smith January 5, 2014

Good observation. Cut the top off the pumpkin. Cut the rest into quarters, put the quarters in a clean sink full of water and the process will be a breeze because the seeds float. Just scrape them out and scoop up the floating seeds in a colander.

christian dath January 30, 2014

will soaking the seeds affect the roasting of the pumpkin seeds. I am an eager at home cooker and am looking for the best way to roast pumpkin seeds.

keeton October 25, 2013

I like the curry powder idea!

Tracy October 27, 2013

They came out wonderful! Thank you.

Janthebaker November 6, 2013

I am roasting pumpkin seeds for German Seedy bread- Dreikernebrot- right now!.

Turns out the pumpkin seeds i bought at the store are coming from China and I worry they have heavy metals or something worse-though they look at taste ok.

love this new found dark German seedy breads- also calls for seseme and sunflower seeds, dk rye, and whole wheat flours.

Deb Sue February 5, 2014

No need to rinse. Pick out what you can and spread out onto sheet or counter and let dry overnight. They taste BETTER if you don’t bother cleaning them up too much. I get most of the stuff off by squeezing them out of the pulp and whatever little bits there are I leave on.

Kate April 21, 2014

The German bread sounds great! The title literally means three seed bread. :) Can you send me the recipe please?

Andrea @ Vegvacious September 17, 2012

Lucky for me, I have my own little pumpkin patch growing like crazy in my garden right now! The pumpkins aren’t quite ready for picking, but now I can’t wait until they are! I personally will love adding spicy Herbamare to my seeds, but my husband isn’t a huge salt fan, so I’m thinking I might make him a spicy batch seasoned with cumin and chili powder!

Kaylee N October 27, 2013

When i was in kindergarden i tried this before and they tasted so good. But since i always visited family to celebrate Halloween i ever acually tried it. But now we stayed home and i finally got to make them.. thanks SO much, this way was faster(:

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh September 17, 2012

I haven’t done this since I was a kid!! I’m thinking I need to channel my inner child and get my hands dirty! Oh yeah, I’ll have you know I bought 2 sugar pumpkins yesterday thanks to you and I’m going to roast them and make something yummy! Thanks!!

kayla vanmeter October 28, 2013

thanks so much!! helped me a lot!!

GetSkinnyGoVegan September 17, 2012

One of my favorite things!

Natalie September 17, 2012

Why be so complicated? When I roast my seeds, I leave the pumpkin guts on the seeds, adds a bit of pumpkin flavour to them! I toss them with a bit of soy sauce (or use tamari), and slow roast them in the oven, checking often. They are so yummy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2012

Really? Interesting – didn’t think that would work! Do they take longer to roast?

Robin September 17, 2012

I usually leave some guts on as well, and have never boiled them. They take about the same time, as I recall (it’s been a year, so hard to say). I usually roast at 350.

deyonce September 22, 2013

i baked My pumpkin seeds an i put parsley on them they were so good

catherine September 17, 2012

yep me too. no need to rinse and clean. way more yummy flavour with a bit of guts on there :)

Angela September 25, 2012

I just tried the method you mentioned above last night – (didn’t boil the seeds in salt and left some guts on). It worked, but I have to say the seeds had less flavour (even when sprinkling on salt) and they didn’t get as crunchy compared to the boiling method. I would definitely recommend giving the boiling method a shot! I’ve also heard you can add spices when boiling and it infuses the seeds. I’ll be trying that next.

Kate K October 19, 2013

Thanks for trying the non-boil, leave some guts on method, Angela! We appreciate you testing and reporting back. I’ll definitely try them YOUR way.

Dana October 31, 2012

I have never boiled my pumpkin seeds either. They taste much better with the pumpkin bits baked on and it’s much less work. I’m also concerned that boiling them will drain them of the nutrients they provide.

AJ October 20, 2013

Dana, how do you know they taste better if you have never boiled the?

Julie October 29, 2013

She said they taste better with the pumpkin bits left on. Not that they taste better not having been boiled.

tasha December 1, 2013

read it!

Daniel October 27, 2013

I agree with Natalie. My mother and I used to use the same methowhen I was a kid and I always took them to school. Now that I’m grown and have a newborn daughter, I am keeping this tradition/recipe going. However, rather than school I take them to work and more often hunting with me. It doesn’t matter how big of a bag I take, they never last long enough.

J.Lee October 30, 2013

Ok last year I gutted pumpkins first and then spent hours rinsing the guts off. This year I pulled seeds out first. The seeds come right out with a little squeeze and the majority of guts stayed in place. It took all of five minutes to rinse off! Thanks for the boil advise. I make three batches using extra fine popcorn salt, then creole mix and finally garlic powder with Lawrey’s.

Janae @ Bring-Joy September 17, 2012

I’d like a chipotle lime flavor to my seeds, or maybe something sweet like cinnamon & agave?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2012

chipolte lime sounds great. :)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } September 17, 2012

I will seriously carve an absolutely horrible design into a pumpkin (4 year olds can carve better than me) just to get to the pumpkin seeds. They are like little pieces of delicious healthy crack!

hah I feel ya!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 17, 2012

It’s great to know that the best of cooks even burn their seeds ;) My very first recipe on the blog was roasted squash seeds, one of my favorite things about Fall. I still do it every now and again. My favorite seasoning is probably herbamare. Can’t (ever) get enough of the stuff!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2012

Glad to see the Herbamare love – it will make anything taste good.

Erica September 17, 2012

Easy way to clean the seeds: soak them in water for an hour, then rinse them in a pasta strainer. The holes should be large enough to let the pumpkin out and small enough to keep the seeds in. Massage the seeds while rinsing and pick out the larger clumps of pumpkin, and they will be perfectly clean in less then 5 minutes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2012

Ah I love it, thanks!! :)

Pete September 19, 2012

I believe that when you soak them, they float and you can just (mostly) skim them off the top!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2012

A couple others mentioned this too – great idea. I will try this next time :)

Carol October 8, 2013

I just dumped them into a large mesh strainer and as I rinsed them I rubbed them against the mesh. They were clean in a matter of minutes!

Amy September 17, 2012

I make a version with rosemary, olive oil, garlic, salt and cayenne- people raved about them at my halloween party last year! I’ll have to try the salt water boil trick this time when I make them!

Rachel September 17, 2012

I only made pumpkin seeds once and followed a recipe I found, only they ended up being way too spicy and since I’m not a fan of spicy they went to waste haha I need to try it again this year :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks September 17, 2012

I’ve only ever tried roasting pumpkin seeds once and they turned out very meh. So I’ve never done it again and now I need to try your method and try again!

Brigid September 17, 2012

I usually rock a salt or cinnamon flavour but maybe nutritional yeast is in order this year!
Really anxious to put my favourite popcorn topping flavours on pumpkin seeds:
chili powder, cayenne, cane sugar and cocoa powder
OR
lime zest, cane sugar, chili powder, cayenne

Great tutorial, I’d never heard of boiling them first. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2012

Those combos sound perfect! LOVE the idea of using nooch too.

Kate September 23, 2013

I’m having a Halloween party and was having a hard time finding healthy treats for everyone (I have cookies, cupcakes, cakepops, etc). This will help so much! Who doesn’t love roasted pumpkin seeds? The sweet and spicy combinations sound delicious!

Faith October 18, 2013

I always make many flavors each year…love them. My friend does like 10 pumpkins and brings me the seeds. I always leave a little gunk,as I call it, on the seeds taste yummy after it’s baked. I always make salt and pepper, garlic and salt, buffalo wing sauce(these take longer to roast,but so good), and once I even did tomatoes(small cherry tomatoes cut in half) with basil and olive oil. They are all so good. And I use the same method for chick peas that I roast when I have no seeds.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning September 17, 2012

Thank you for posting this!! I never really know what I’m doing when I roast pumpkin seeds, and just kind of hope for the best. I didn’t know that the inner seed cooks faster than the outer shell- good to know! I really hate cleaning the seeds… but the end result is so worth it. I’m going to throw some tamari on the first batch I roast this season. :)
I am trying to remember the specifics, but I experimented roasting so many different kinds of winter squash seeds last year. Some were awful – the “thicker” ones, but I can’t remember which were good and which were bad… I think kabocha was a bust.

Kara September 17, 2012

I can’t take the credit but my husband last year made a sweet batch with a little brown sugar and cinnamon. And a spicy with garlic, salt and cayenne. They were delicious! Also we weren’t too thorough on cleaning for the sweet batch and I agree with someone else who said this, but the pumpkin goo that was left on helped to make it sweet! They were still crunchy too!

Beks September 17, 2012

Thanks for this! Last time I had homemade pumpkin seeds, I was in second grade, after a field trip to the pumpkin patch, and they were super chewy and hard to swallow (literally!). I haven’t had a taste for them since, but I’m definitely going to try this when I get my pumpkin for Halloween! Do you know if seeds from sugar pumpkins and carving pumpkins differ in how they’re roasted?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2012

That’s a great question – I was wondering the same. Maybe someone else knows?

Urban Wife September 17, 2012

Not quite the same but it’s a subtle difference. The carving pumpkin seeds are a bit “chewier” so they don’t have quite the crunch as sugar pumpkin seeds. At least the ones I’ve tried. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2012

That’s really good to know! Mine were super crunchy…yum

julie October 29, 2013

a little vinegar in the cleaning water and most the pumpkin will fall off

Moni @ {Meals Meals} September 17, 2012

I could eat handfuls of pumpkin seeds. I have never done it this way. I want to see if there is a significant difference to my lazy but simple way! I just rinse, pat, and bake. I have a feeling your version is going to taste better though. ;) I will let you know! Thanks for the post Ang!

One thing I love is dividing the seeds and make a sweet version and a savory version!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2012

Enjoy! Ps Love your new pic :)

Brittany October 26, 2013

I used ur recipe and they turned out amazing. It was my first time making them And I didn’t burn any Thank you so much

Rachel September 17, 2012

if you put the seeds in a big bowl of water then swish them around with your hands and let them sit for a while, most of the pumpkin falls to the bottom and the seeds come up to the top! almost completely clean by then.

Kathy September 17, 2012

I roasted the pumpkin seeds I had last fall but I must have done something incorrectly. Do you eat the outside shell also? I guess I didn’t realize there was an outside and inside shell. I tried eating the outside shell and I couldn’t chew them. They were tough and stuck in my throat. I ended up throwing them all away.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2012

Someone commented saying the sugar pumpkins yield crispier seeds. Was it a carving one?

Kathy September 19, 2012

I’m not sure what it was. I thought it was pie, but maybe not.

Lindsey September 17, 2012

CARDAMOM!!!! Every thing is better with cardamom and cinnamon…

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2012

I always forget about it but yes so good!

Lauren September 17, 2012

Yum yum! My spice of choice would probably be smoked paprika. I recently found some at a specialty store and have been putting it on everything!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2012

Another great idea. :) I just bought a sweet smoked paprika and a hot one…can’t wait to try

Kate September 23, 2013

A few years ago my friend made some with seasoning salt. One of the BEST batches I’ve ever had!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco September 17, 2012

Oh Angela. How I love you and your wonderful brain. These look AMAZING!!

Perhaps curry powder and garam masala for curried pumpkin seeds?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2012

Yes that would be amazing too!

kim@hungryhealthygirl September 17, 2012

When my family does our annual pumkin carving, I’m totally making these. I always tell myself that I should, but throw out the seeds because I really didn’t know the best way to go about roasting them. Now I do….Thanks!!

Enjoy!

Mary September 17, 2012

Any thoughts about trying with raw Pumpkin seeds from a store? I think our whole foods sells them raw in bulk. Probably nowhere near as good as ones fresh out of the pumpkin, but maybe a good compromise for when pumpkins aren’t in season?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 17, 2012

Do they still have their shell? Might be worth a shot! I don’t think I’ve seen then in stores

Senator September 17, 2012

I love making pumpkin seeds! I do a paprika& cayenne w/ a sprinkle of sugar for that hot / sweet taste. Soooo good!!!

Lisa @ the raw serenity September 17, 2012

These look great!
I usually buy the pre shelled seeds but these look fun to try :)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty September 17, 2012

I make chai flavored ones sometimes – I take a roobis chai tea bag and put the contents in the blender – grind until it’s small bits – and then sprinkle over seeds!! A little salt can be added or a little sugar! The sugar caramelizes a bit on them – so tasty!

I also love curried ones too!

Ama September 17, 2012

Thanks for the salt-water boil tip. I need all the help I can get in the digestion department.

I always try to do different toppings, but always come back to cumin and cinnamon with a dash of cayenne! Cumin all the way, baby!

And I must say, throwing a batch of raw seeds into the garden one or two times can actually be just as satisfying; I have surprise pumpkin plants this year because I was too lazy to roast the seeds a few times! Score!

Robyn October 14, 2013

About the boiling in water. Did u check if that does take out nutrients. But from what I’ve heard, soaking nuts is a better way to digest as they are rough on your stomach so maybe this same principle applies to seeds, soaking helps with the digestion. I only soak my nuts when eaten raw & not for long but perhaps we could soak the pumpkin seeds rather than boil? Did u happen to research this at all & find out any info on nutrients being lost due to the boiling? Thanks! Robyn

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 17, 2012

Mmm I love pumpkin seeds on salads!! I also love these fall food how-to’s lately! :) Last fall I made a sweet-n-salty batch of pumpkin seeds by whisking some stevia into egg whites, brushing that over the pumpkin seeds, then sprinkling them with sea salt. In fact, I’m craving some now!

Lia September 17, 2012

What a happy coincidence! We just roasted a spaghetti squash and “roasted” the seeds in a pan because I was lazy and time crunched. They turned out better than any I had made previously, but I’m interested in your methodology here! I like the sound of really crispy shells!

Lia September 17, 2012

Oh, and my best advice for cleaning seeds is to actually put them into a regular bowl of water and the guts float to the top. I just scoop them out and pick the ones that are attached to seeds.

Lindsay September 17, 2012

I also love roasting butternut squash seeds. I’ve never boiled them first though.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 17, 2012

I remember doing this as a kid at Halloween with the seeds from our carving pumpkins – I almost looked forward to the roasted seeds more than the actual pumpkin carving! :P

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings September 17, 2012

I made pumpkin seeds last fall and they were great! I definitely want to make them this year and love the flavor ideas you have! There are so many ways you can roast them :)

Andrina September 18, 2012

Hi! Been a silent reader for quite some times but I can’t help not to comment this post. I literally salivating just by reading the instructions. Guess I will stop by the nearest market that sells pumpkin and try to roast the seeds. Wish me luck! :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 18, 2012

Thanks for your comment! I hope you enjoy them, let me know how it goes. :)

LizforaDay September 18, 2012

I love pumpkin seeds. I will not have a chance to try to prepare them this season. I don’t think they have punkins here in Afghanistan. I am going to have to check on that.

Sonal September 18, 2012

This is tooo exciting! I can’t wait until we get pumpkins in our local supermarket – then I am going to be up to my elbows in delicious pumpkin :) Thanks Angela!

A September 18, 2012

Can these be dehydrated instead of roasted? If so, how?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 18, 2012

Good question – Im sure they can be! I would try looking online as Im sure others have tried it out before. Goodluck!

Shana September 18, 2012

I just read the link to the ironwoman gingerbread smoothie. I need to get some blackstrap molasses in my life! I’ve been looking for it but can’t find any locally so I might just have to order some. Is there a particular brand that you like? Thanks for all the great info on getting proper nutrients with a vegan diet!

Girlytoes September 18, 2012

Cannot wait to try. Mmmm, crunchy. As far as cleaning goes, what if you did the boiling step with the guts on — maybe they would come off easier after the boiling step, sort of clean themselves? Worth a try :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 18, 2012

I will have to try that out, great idea!

Page 1 of 812345»...Last »