Speedy Three-Bean Salad

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 23, 2012

3 bean salad-4201

One of my favourite things to do is recreate a dish or meal that I’ve enjoyed at a restaurant or purchased in a store.

IMG_0428-2 IMG_7490

I’ve recreated the Detox salad and Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing from Whole Foods, the Adzuki Bean & Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad and Pink Flamingo Smoothie from Fresh restaurant, Endurance Crackers from Chocolatree Café, and the Layered Raw Taco Salad from The Naked Sprout, to name just a few.

This time, I had my sights set on a Fontaine Santé Three-Bean Salad.

3 bean salad-4140

In addition to hummus that rocks my face off, Fontaine Santé also makes hearty salads – and many of them are vegan. You can find these pre-made salads at Costco and various grocery stores in the refrigerator section (however, I’m not sure if they are sold in the US?). Sometimes when I’m in a crunch for dinner, I pick one up and pair it with a simple salad.

A peek inside…

3 bean salad-4142

It tastes better than it looks…I swear. Am I the only one who loves mushy bean salads?

Well, have no fear this version is bursting with fresh, crisp vegetables. My version has the same ingredients (with the addition of jalapeno), but the nutrition stats turned out quite a bit better with half the fat and calories per serving. Another advantage of preparing food at home – it’s often healthier without even trying. This recipe has more bite from the lemon, Dijon, and apple cider vinegar, but I countered the acidity with a bit of pure maple syrup. It’s also a better bang for your buck and you can save even more money if you make the beans from scratch. This recipe makes 5 cups worth, whereas the one I pick up from the grocery store has about three 1/2 cup servings per 350g container (granted, the salads from Costco are much larger and a better deal). Plus, who only eats 1/2 cup of bean salad anyway? Certainly not this girl.

3 bean salad-4149 3 bean salad-41513 bean salad-4152 3 bean salad-4155

Speedy Three-Bean Salad

Like many bean salads, it tastes better as it sits and is even better the next day once the dressing has mingled with the beans and veggies. If you can make it in advance I suggest doing so. It should keep for at least 3-4 days in an air-tight container or jar, perhaps longer.

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Yield: ~5 cups

for the salad:

• 1 cup chopped green beans, stems removed
  • 1 (15-oz) can chickpeas (I use Eden Organic BPA-free), or 1.5 cups cooked
  • 1 (15-oz) can Red Kidney Beans (ditto above), or 1.5 cups cooked
  • 1 orange bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
  • 1/3 cup packed fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • 3 green onions, finely chopped
  • Salt & pepper, to taste

for the dressing:

• 8 tbsp fresh lemon juice (about 1.5 lemons)
  • 1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, or more to taste
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt

1. Add several cups of water into a medium-sized pot and bring to a boil. Add chopped green beans and blanch for 2-3 minutes in boiling water. Drain and rinse with cold water. Place into a large bowl.

2. Drain and rinse chickpeas and kidney beans and place into a large bowl along with the green beans, bell pepper, optional jalapeno, parsley, and green onion. Mix.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients until combined. Adjust to taste if needed.

4. Pour on dressing over salad and mix well. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow the flavours to develop. Season with salt and pepper and adjust dressing to taste. Salad will taste even better the next day. Store in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.

For nutritional info, see here.

3 bean salad-4182

Next on my list? The 3-Lentil Cranberry Salad. Quite possibly my all-time fav.

What do you think I should add to my “recreate” recipe list?

Katie G August 23, 2012 at 9:13 am

BE RIGHT BACK, going to the grocery store now to buy the ingredients to make this tonight! ;)

Angela August 23, 2012 at 9:32 am

hah – enjoy Katie!

susan c September 15, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I have to say that is the best bean salad I have ever had! Your recipes are wonderful, you are such an inspiration!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 23, 2012 at 9:14 am

I love bean salads – and yes, I like it a little mushy too. :)

Since beginning competition training, I’ve been recreating more of my restaurant favorites at home. The sodium, sugar, and fat that is unnecessarily added to foods can be scary. There’s no reason any meal should have 1000mg+ sodium.

Robyn August 23, 2012 at 9:14 am

This sounds right up my alley!! Been chowing down on green/yellow beans by the fist full for weeks…so crisp and crunchy,,,yum! Dinner is figured out now, thank you :))

Robyn August 25, 2012 at 5:59 pm

This was so good,,,I had a base of romaine,,,didn’t cook the beans, I only had basil djon, topped it with some baby tomatoes, brewers yeast and zucchini spiced chips

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh August 23, 2012 at 9:17 am

I love doing that too! I recreated a corn potato chowder last night that was actually better than the restaurant’s version where we tried it.

This looks great!

Natalie August 23, 2012 at 9:18 am

Please, please, please create a vegan pad thai! My most favourite and unhealthiest (from the restaurant) meal! I’ve stopped eating it because of how heavy the Thai Express version feels in my stomach – and the nutritional stats, yikes. I know you can work your magic and make a delicious, vegan and healthy version!

Angela August 23, 2012 at 9:34 am

I have that on my list – great minds think alike! I’ve thought about making one that is zucchini noodle based (had one at a restaurant that was great), but I need to get a julienne peeler first.

Alex @ Brain, Body, Because August 23, 2012 at 10:34 am

Vegan pad thai – that’s a great suggestion!

janet @ the taste space August 23, 2012 at 10:54 am

I have a super pad thai recipe here. I just omit the eggs for me. Because I don’t eat pasta, I sub kelp noodles. (I have found zucchini noodles not to work as well… and I also tried a quinoa version, too).

To get that authentic flavour, do not skip the tamarind concentrate. That’s the secret. Plus, love. :)

Recipe here: http://www.freepantsonline.com/?p=97

Gosh, I should really post my version. ;)

Sarah L. August 23, 2012 at 9:27 am

Totally had this salad at Organic Garage a few weeks ago!! Yours looks way better, obviously. :)

Sarina @ Earthgiven August 23, 2012 at 9:30 am

Oh yum! I’m always looking for more ways to eat beans. Thanks, Angela

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 23, 2012 at 9:31 am

I’m in the mushy bean salad club too!! :) This looks great Ange. I’ve been boiling the raw beans lately since I know a lot of canned ones have tons of sodium in them (so it’s either that, or rinsing really well). It does take a lot of time though! I love your cute little bowls! And really, really can’t wait until Saturday! :)

Ash August 23, 2012 at 9:35 am

I love bean salad too, Angela! I have this white bean salad that’s a mix between pico de gallo and guacamole (the avocados are chopped, not mushed) and it’s amazing! I’ll have to try your bean salad recipe, because I’ve never been a fan of green beans, but I have 4 cans of them in my pantry! I have to do something delicious with them! :) Your recipe looks delicious!

Hillary August 23, 2012 at 9:42 am

I made the detox salad on Sunday and have been enjoying it at lunch (and sometimes breakfast – like right now) all week. I have added a tahini dressing some days too. Thanks for the great recipe!

Averie @ Averie Cooks August 23, 2012 at 9:46 am

Love the brightly colored bowls and top down shots and oh yes, the bean salad in the bowls doesn’t look too shabby :)

Rachel August 23, 2012 at 9:57 am

oo yum! I need to try this.. I love bean salads!

Alissa N August 23, 2012 at 10:09 am

Yumm!!!! I am obsessed with Eden’s beans, their texture is amazing and I love that they are BPA free. I never knew my love for beans was unusual, I assumed everyone wrote sonnets about chickpeas!!

Jasmin August 23, 2012 at 10:10 am

I love bean salads!! Thanks for the recipe! I also love all your restaurant re-creations! :)

Andrea @ Vegvacious August 23, 2012 at 10:14 am

Love this! Bean salads are so quick & easy in a pinch and I love that they keep well so that you can make it on the weekend and enjoy it throughout the week!

There’s one salad at Costco that I absolutely love but I can’t remember exactly what it’s called — it some sort of ancient grain salad that you get in the refrigerated salads area. TO DIE FOR – I never buy it because it’s a little higher in fat than I like and it’s one of those things you can eat with a fork right out of the container! I need a healthier version!

jenna August 23, 2012 at 10:14 am

I love bean salad! this looks great!

kaity August 23, 2012 at 10:20 am

omgg i love this salad! i dont get that brand but they have a diff one in the costco by me and its delish i eat the whole thing in a few days not gonna lie haha cant wait to make this!!

Lauren August 23, 2012 at 10:33 am

That dressing looks killer! There are so many Whole Foods salads I love. I don’t usually do soy, but they have this spicy peanut butter tempeh that, as you aptly stated, ‘rocks my face off’. I could definitely get down with a recreated version of that!

Rachael August 23, 2012 at 10:35 am

Vegan pho!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy August 23, 2012 at 10:51 am

oooh that sounds lovely! i love a good bean salad!

janet @ the taste space August 23, 2012 at 10:51 am

As much as I don’t like eating out at restos, I always get inspired to make something better at home. :) I urge you to go to Saravanaa Bhavan, get the onion uttapam, and then tell me how to make it. :) That one is on my “recreate” recipe list right now. :)

Btw, I love how the lemon juice totally dominates the other dressing ingredients – that’s my kind of salad dressing! :)

Anna August 23, 2012 at 11:21 am

This looks delicious! I have a get-together this weekend that I need a dish for…and I think this might be a winner!
And I’m all about mushy salads — they’re just too great that way. I should start soaking some beans now…I’ve got a craving.

Vicki August 23, 2012 at 11:36 am

I would love you to recreate Fontaine Santé’s Tofu spread!! It’s SO delicious!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies August 23, 2012 at 11:51 am

This looks amazing! I seriously LOVE beans but I don’t know if I have ever made a three bean salad. I wonder why? Looks like I need to get on this ASAP! Thanks for another great recipe!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } August 23, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I am eagerly awaiting the lentil cranberry!!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers August 23, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I wish my copycat recipe skills were better. Working on it! :)

Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) August 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I love bean salads and I haven’t made one in a very long time, I can’t wait to try this one. Live Food Bar has a delicious Raw Mediterranean Tart; I would love to see a recipe for a non raw version that can be made in the over rather than in a dehydrator.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit August 23, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I have a rather large recreate list. It’s insane. I love the idea of adding the cranberry dish to the list, anything with cranberry is delicious! I also adore mushy bean salads, no judgement being passed here!

Erin August 23, 2012 at 1:11 pm

If you could recreate the Sweets from the Earth carrot cake it would be amazing! :)

My wallet and belly would both be so happy!

[email protected] August 23, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I’m in the US and I’ll keep my eye out for this brand next time I’m at Costco. However, if I can’t find it, I know where to get the recipe. :-) I love the looks of this for a quick and easy Summer side.

[email protected] Girl in Jordan August 23, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I love, love, love bean salads! Thanks for the new recipe!

Michal August 23, 2012 at 1:34 pm

3-Lentil Cranberry salad sounds YUM! Can’t wait to see the recipe!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar August 23, 2012 at 2:20 pm

This salad sounds fabulous! Yum!

Solveig @ gluten-free-vegan-girl August 23, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Delicious looking dish, and stunning pictures as always Angela! It always looks so colorful and beautiful :)

Ana August 23, 2012 at 2:59 pm

A question regarding beans: I put some garbanzo beans to soak yesterday morning before I left for work, intending to use some for a salad and sprout the rest. Unfortunately, when I got home from work yesterday, I became inexplicably dizzy. I could not even sit up without the room spinning. Thankfully that has passed, but it led to me completely forgetting about the beans soaking (at room temperature) until I was already at work today. By the time I get home they will have been soaking for probably about 36 hours. Does anybody have any experience with this? How can I tell if they’re bad…just the smell? I would hate to throw away good beans I wanted to sprout anyway!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 23, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Hey Ana,

I’ve definitely forgot about soaking chickpeas before and I figured if they smelled ok it was fine. I just rinsed them well and cooked as usual…I think they were soaking for a good day and a half. Not sure if thats bad to cook them anyways or not though! Hope you feel better soon!

Jill August 23, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I ran into the kitchen and made this right away since I have so many green beans from my garden! I subbed red pepper for yellow and basil for parsley as it’s also plentiful in my yard… Yummy! My daughters LOVE it. Thanks!

Lisa @ The Raw Serenity August 23, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I LOVE 3 bean salads by I have never made them myself and stoped buying them years ago due to them being quite high in fat and calories.
Im so excited that now they can be back in my life!
Thanks xx

Barb C August 23, 2012 at 4:14 pm

My Mom makes the best 3-bean salad, but it has a lot of sugar in the dressing. I have become sensitive to peppers and citrus, so I may try an altered version of this. I absolutely love 3-bean salad and yours looks great!

cibo matto August 23, 2012 at 4:35 pm

love that you used orange pepper rather than the hard-to-digest unripe green ones! ^_^ i fell in love with bean salads after some time in quebec this summer ^_^

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 23, 2012 at 4:56 pm

3 bean salad is always one of my favourite dishes at BBQs! I’m sad I haven’t encountered it yet this summer though. I guess it’s a good thing you posted this recipe! ;)

Noella August 23, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I love bean salads.. one of my go to salads in the summer. I have tried to recreate many different things. There are two that I just haven’t been able to nail yet. Maybe you will be more successful. 1. Renee’s Gourmet Poppy Seed dressing 2. New York Flatbreads ~ Everything. Looking forward to what you will make next. Cheers!

mamta August 23, 2012 at 6:35 pm

yep i too make my chickpeas and kidney beans at home from scratch …they have a far better taste . this one is on for my dinner menu tonite .i’ll probably add some tomatoes chopped in too . thanks fr the inspiration

Michelle August 23, 2012 at 8:04 pm

This salad looks great! It reminds me of one I used to make from Ingrid Hoffman (Food Network) called the Red Bean Beach Salad. Check it out, it’s a little different, but very yummy too. Hint: it includes sweet pickles! Would just need a little tweaking to substitute for the tsp of Worcestershire.

maya August 24, 2012 at 12:34 am

oh, please, pleaaase recreate the pasta shell and vegetable salad from the same company !

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 24, 2012 at 7:30 am

I dont think I’ve had that one before, I’ll have to check it out. Do you know if it’s vegan?

maya August 24, 2012 at 7:41 am

yes it is ! and with the royal couscous salad, it’s my favorite fontaine santé product.

Heidi kokborg August 24, 2012 at 2:06 am

I love bean salads, so I am definitely going to try this! :)

Tanya @ playful and hungry August 24, 2012 at 3:30 am

Yummy! I think yours looks even better then the store bought one!
And I totally understand – always when I am eating at a restaurant I think about how to recreate the meal… it’s so much fun!

Lauren August 24, 2012 at 6:13 am

Mmmm one of my face things to pick up at loblaws when I’m on a speedy lunch break.

You should try the Tangled Thai Salad from Fresh!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 24, 2012 at 7:30 am

I looove that salad :)

Shana August 24, 2012 at 6:14 am

This looks so good! I might have to re-do my menu planning for the week now!

Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy August 24, 2012 at 6:34 am

Yum – I love bean salads. So cheap and easy to put together.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers August 24, 2012 at 6:52 am

I love bean salad! It’s so easy to throw together!! Yours look super delish!!

Katie August 24, 2012 at 7:09 am

Thank you for a bean salad recipe without sugar in the dressing! My mother-in-law makes a delicious three-bean salad, but when I got the recipe from her, I saw that it was full of white sugar, so I never made it for myself.

As for a recipes I would love to recreate, there is this Mexican chocolate cake with chili-chocolate sauce served at my favourite vegan restaurant in Ottawa (Zen Kitchen) that is absolutely unreal! I`ve never even made an attempt, but you`ve inspired me to get on that!

lizforaday August 24, 2012 at 7:20 am

This is a keeper. I live on beans and always have them around. Thanks for the post. :)

Betty August 24, 2012 at 8:59 am

Looks SO good! I love how colorful it is. I haven’t seen any Fontaine Santé products here in the states – has anyone else seen it?

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife August 24, 2012 at 9:23 am

That dressing looks amazing…& I currently have every ingredient in my pantry :) obviously will be making this ASAP!

Rachel @ Almonds and Avocados August 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm

This look yummy! I love recreating my favorite restaurant dishes and get so much inspiration on the rare occasion that I eat out! To be honest, your version looks so much fresher and more delish!

Anna G August 24, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Love your colourful plates! Are they Fiestaware? I just started my collection, they are so fun :)

Mae August 24, 2012 at 9:00 pm

We do have that brand in the U.S., but it’s called “Fountain of Health.”

I’ve only had their hummus, but I’ll have to look for their salads – or make yours!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2012 at 6:47 am

Aw that’s interesting, thanks for letting me know.

Michelle August 24, 2012 at 10:33 pm

MMMMM…bean salad…. I wonder if my fiance would let me get away with another bean dish for tomorrow night’s dinner… Beans and Rice with guacamole tonight and 3 Bean Salad tomorrow night. Nah, I’ll have to wait until he’s out on Sunday and that way I won’t have to share.

Do you have any thoughts on a Curry Lentil Salad?

Sheryl August 24, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Hi Angela,

Am thinking of buying a vegan cook book and I saw that you highly recommend Dreena Burton’s books. Do you suggest I get Let Them Eat Vegan or Eat Drink & Be Vegan.

Do the recipes in both books overlap?

Much appreciate your recommendation!! Thanks!!

Marisa August 25, 2012 at 1:18 am

I had carrot cake pancakes made from red lentils at Hugo’s restaurant in Agoura, California. They were delicious and hearty. I would love to re-create them.

Sonal August 25, 2012 at 2:43 am

Yumyumyum! This looks so easy to make and so convenient :) Thanks Angela!

Joanne @ threeunderthree August 25, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I love the convenience of bean salads. I like to prepare a batch at the weekend and use it for lunches. It’s great that they’re so portable too. I will definitely be trying your recipe this weekend as green beans are my daughter’s favourite so thank you

Kim August 25, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I would love a vegan coconut cream pie recipe :)

Julie August 25, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Angela, we do have this brand in Ohio…I think called Fountain of health of course, no French here:) I don’t recall the exact name but I know the logo!! I adore their hummus too! I’ve never seen any non-hummus offerings, so I guess I will have to make your salad! I just bought edamame hummus for the first time tonight at Trader Joe’s…doesn’t that sound fun?

Allie August 25, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I would really love a vegan caprese salad please

Lauren Clare August 26, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Hey Angela,
I actually just made this last week as a side for dinner! What a coincidence! I really like the Costco three bean salad, but it has so much sugar! I added dijon mustard to mine as well. We are on the same food wavelength, I tell ya….

Joan Murphy March 23, 2017 at 3:48 pm

Just made a similar one,,,no white sugar, 1,5 TSBP of natural honey is delicious

Adrianna August 26, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Vegan caesar salad.

Anne August 27, 2012 at 9:54 am

BTW, in the US the brand is labeled as “fountain of health”!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2012 at 11:29 am

good to know, thanks!

Allison M. Dickson August 27, 2012 at 11:50 pm

I made this for a cookout this weekend, and WOW! Super delicious. The leftovers are being eaten throughout the week for lunches. This was so simple to throw together and great flavors that didn’t overpower. I’ve had a lot of yucky bean salads, so this one was a real keeper.

Lori August 28, 2012 at 7:56 am

I LOVE bean salads and promptly made this one over the weekend. It was PERFECTION for lunch yesterday! Add to that your portable baked oatmeal (doubled up for breakfast) and I’m enjoying some great eats this week thanks to your amazing recipes. Thank you!

Annie August 29, 2012 at 1:31 pm

This was just wonderful! I had no green beans, so I used the snap peas in my fridge. And I am a huge fan of lemon, so i added the rind of the lemon as well. I have made “Mom’s” 3 Bean for years, but it has so much oil…this dressing had great flavor without being overbearing. Thanks

Kat August 30, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I made this for dinner tonight! It’s delicious–so much better than the ones you find at delis. Yet another successful recipe from Angela! I’ve also recently made the pumpkin pie with sweet & salty pecan crust and the ultimate vegan lentil loaf, to rave reviews. I can’t wait to try something else.

Lynn September 1, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Made this for dinner tonight. Loved the crunch and the dressing was fantastic. My 11 year old son said he would take this to school for lunch. Yeah! Keep the fantastic recipes coming.

Maggie September 2, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Made this today for my lunches this week. Delicious! Thanks!!

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See September 2, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Looove simple vinaigrettes with vinegar and maple syrup! Mushy bean lovers unite :)

Lynne D September 3, 2012 at 1:27 am

Yum, this dish was such a hit at our bbq, next time I think I may kick it up a notch and add more jalepeno :). We didn’t have any dijon mustard but did have some spicy sweet pepper miso mayo (mayo alternative) and it was delish.

christina September 3, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Hello Angela, new reader here. Saw your last sentence and just had to chime in. That 3-lentil salad is my absolute favourite!! I’ve re-created a fairly promising version of it a couple summers ago. Here’s the recipe I used (that you could always try as a first pass attempt):
1/4 c slivered almonds
1 c lentil
3 c + 1 TBsp peach juice (I have made it using half peach, half water)
1/4 c parsley, chopped
1 slice of lemon, juice
1/4-1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp vinegar
1/2 c dried cranberries.
Cook lentils in peach juice (or peach-water mixture) for 15-20 min (lentil-dependent) or until tender but not mushy. Drain and stir in lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar and salt. Mix in cranberries almonds and parsley.
Enjoy!

Kara Bethea September 9, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I just made this today and it is sitting in my fridge while I anxiously wait to eat it later! I nibbled on it of course and it tasted awesome! Very fresh and gorgeous to look at! Thanks :)

Samantha September 13, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Love bean salads. If I have them I crave them and could easily eat a gigantic portion.

zbyszek September 17, 2012 at 11:15 am

This looks yummy and easy. Thanks for sharing.

Laura September 17, 2012 at 8:36 pm

This recipe is fantastic and very easy to make! For those who are interested in a variation, I added a diced navel orange to the recipe and think it really compliments the flavors well (I got the idea because at first I thought the yellow pepper in the picture was an orange).

Thank you for posting another great recipe!

Marjolaine November 18, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Hi

Just made you salad recipie . It is delicious the vinaigrette is amazing I omited the maple syrup because I have a sugar intolerance but the rest I did as recipie. Was amazing. It was my daughter Sara who shared this website and so far love your recipies. Simple but good. Keep up the good work.

Asiya December 6, 2012 at 2:36 pm

We love love LOVE Fontaine Sante 3 bean salad. When my 6 year old takes it for lunch he takes more than half of that container..I’ve tried to recreate it at home but have been unsuccessful. Can’t wait to try your recipe..so excited I can do this at home now! I also love their couscous!

Liz December 13, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Made this for dinner tonight, just used different beans and added cherry tomatoes yum thanks:)

rochelle February 12, 2013 at 4:46 pm

good recepes

Megan @ MegGoesNomNom March 4, 2013 at 11:35 am

Oh goodness! I made this recipe yesterday and it is fantastic! The dressing is really bright and flavorful and I love the three beans chosen, with the addition of orange bell pepper. I added half of a jalapeno, sans seeds, which was the perfect amount of subtle heat for this dish. I can see myself whipping up batches of this every weekend to enjoy as lunches during the week. Thanks for the recipe!

Erin C. March 19, 2013 at 9:45 am

not sure how speedy it is…still took me 30 minutes to prep. came out pretty good if a tiny bit bland…may add cilantro next time. also, the amount of dressing was a bit much until i added almost a whole bag of [defrosted] shelled edamame beans.

cilla April 25, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Just made this and am eating it right out of the bowl very happily! So delish. My sister and I used to eat three bean salad all the time after the farmer’s market with fresh goat cheese. I don’t even miss it!

Sar May 3, 2014 at 4:09 pm

How did you store this in the fridge so that the juice is evenly distributed among the bean mix? I found an airtight glass jar but all the juice is at the bottom.

Jenny April 3, 2018 at 12:57 pm

You don’t. Just mix it before serving.

marilyn May 5, 2014 at 12:03 pm

i love this recipe , now i won’t have to go to Costco

Ella May 14, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Hey angela, this dinner was delicious! LOVE 3 bean salad and this was a fantastic rendition w/ the mustard and jalapeno. Thanks so much for the awesome recipe!

Laura May 24, 2014 at 10:02 pm

This salad is excellent. I made it for a picnic and it was well liked. I thought I would find the dressing too lemony, but it was just right.

cdnbgirl July 13, 2014 at 7:01 pm

This is probably one of the best three beans salads I have ever had, Really quick and simple too. Sometimes I am tempted to pick up some pre-made at the grocery store and then I think that I will be disappointed when I get home as it will not be as healthy and tasty as this recipe so I always end up making my own and I am so glad I do! Definite keeper:)

Jessica September 8, 2014 at 9:46 am

I’ve made this salad on multiple occasions and it is DELICIOUS! The dressing has just enough tang. I love it! Also, I’ve tried with and without jalapeños and thought they were both delicious.

Melanie September 28, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Hi i just stumbled upon your website while looking for fontaine sante copycat recipes… Have you made the copycat 3 lentil and cranberry salad? Im looking for that recipe. P.s. i can’t wait to try out this bean salad recipe.

Candace April 13, 2015 at 10:47 am

This is one of my favorite salads, I make it all the time and it is great for cookouts! My friends and family love it as well. I can’t even enjoy the store bought salads anymore. Thank you so much for sharing.

Blake June 20, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Hah! I love the Fontaine Sante three-bean salad, but it’s pricy for what amounts to a bunch of beans – definitely bookmarking this for next time it’s cookout night!

Andrea July 2, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Does this freeze well? It would be great to be able to make a big batch for make ahead lunches

Allison July 6, 2015 at 10:39 am

I made this for July 4th, and everyone loved it. It was the first dish gone, and I made a double batch! Thank you! :)

audrey September 1, 2015 at 8:51 am

Check out my latest blog about your tasty 3 bean salad! http://thehypothyroidismchick.com/2015/09/01/3-healthy-3-bean-salads-from-my-3-of-my-favorite-bloggers/

Marie Szczesny September 13, 2015 at 10:00 am

i am a health care practitioner being introduced to functional medicine and wishing there was a way to become certified. My practice is allopathic; but, I do incorporate a good bit of dietary advice and supplement guidance to my patients. It’s terrible watching people spiral down the “sick” vortex and not having all the tools at my fingertips to use to bring them out.

New to vegan and gluten free lifestyle myself but feeling amazing in 3 months. Haven’t tried these recipes yet, but Sunday is my kitchen day and I will be trying several of these. I do all of my cooking on Sunday for. Rey busy work weeks.

These all look appealing and husband friendly. Except for tofu and green beans, all else are on his tried and approved list (and he WAS a hard-core Atkin’s guy)! He was sure he would die if he had to eat like this. Forks over knives and Sick, fat, and nearly dead videos helped me move him off the fence.

Except for tofu (jury is still out on that one) all ingredients are on my approved list. Lots on new ideas to shake my boredom tree. Thank you for these and REALLY thank you for the chocolate treats. I’ve been missing those and love to have a little in the evening for the anti-oxidant value and to smother my sweet tooth.

Loving the new lifestyle and the body that comes with it. No afternoon crash and burn from processed and refined sugar contents… just steady, wonderful energy all day and much better sleep quality. Already have had about 90% fewer migraines. Feeling depression slip away. Buying more dietary supplements than prescriptions these days. Cost benefit analysis… insurance doesn’t cover cost of healthy eating; but, I haven’t been “sick” in over one year so it is a net gain in my estimation. No substitute for feeling good everyday, not needing naps to get through the day, and 70 pounds lighter in a little over one year. Still have 20 pounds to go. It’s slow and sometimes frustrating; but, gradually coming down. Admittedly, I had to have some extra skin removed and a little bit of lipo for breast reduction. Bonus…. stem cells are banked in the event of some un-Godly event.

Working on my own substitution list for gluten free which simply feels better. All along, I thought it was higher carbs causing my brain fog. It was gluten causing the neurological derailment that left me with a complete inability to process words that others spoke for hours after contact with gluten. Perhaps the fog was due to a little bit of both.

I have corrected all nutritional deficiencies identified through blood work. I am now “optimal”; not “deficient” or “normal”. I still have some inflammation going and a little hormone imbalance going on. I expect that will come down gradually as well.

Thanks again for the new ideas.

Marie

Lynn carlson April 13, 2017 at 1:19 am

Hi I love the opportunity to be able to make a difference between these two life long learning about food good and bad for me I have been on the same thing and I am doing great with my new eating habits most days and I have lost 30lbs so far and I am going for the next 30+ to help me to walk better and feal better to I love vegan food to eat and I feel better to .this is the first time I have been on this site so I will be back on soon keep going with new ones too

Jenny April 3, 2018 at 12:56 pm

I made this salad to go with one of your veggie burgers last night, and oh my goodness. It is SO GOOD. I will officially be making this for every summer party ever. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 3, 2018 at 2:38 pm

Hey Jenny, I’m so happy you love it! I agree that it’s such a good summer bean salad option. Easy too. :) Enjoy!