Veggie Summer Rolls with Spicy Peanut Lime Sauce: Two Ways

IMG_2555 IMG_2463

This is the first time I’ve featured a summer roll or lettuce wrap recipe on the blog, so today, I’m giving you both. A 2-for-1 deal rarely disappoints! Unless of course, you were hoping for a 2-for-1 chocolate recipe to kick off the weekend. Maybe this will help. Anyway, I’m not sure how I haven’t made a lettuce wrap recipe on here because I really do adore them. I just never think to make them at home. This recipe is going to quickly change all that.

Summer rolls, on the other hand, I haven’t always been so sure of. I tried them a couple years ago and wasn’t a fan of the sticky rice paper wrappers. It also didn’t help that I tried the rolls plain without a dipping sauce.

I finally got the nerve to make them recently – some two years later – and much to my great surprise, I really enjoyed them. The rice wrappers weren’t as scary as I remembered (although still a bit scary) and I found when paired with a great dipping sauce, I just couldn’t get enough. If you aren’t down with the rice wrappers I have a lettuce wrap option for you to enjoy too. Lettuce wraps are also good for those times when you don’t want to fuss with rice wrappers.

Really, the show stopper of this entire recipe is this peanut lime sauce. Oh my word, it’s good. I used roasted peanut butter, low-sodium tamari, fresh lime juice, sesame oil, fresh ginger & garlic, and a touch of sugar to balance it all out. Fresh ingredients make the best peanut sauces so I don’t recommend using powdered garlic or ginger for this one. You’ll be rewarded with a sauce so good it could make cardboard taste like a delicacy!

IMG_2469

Like many sauces that have come out of my kitchen, I could not stop dipping my greedy little finger in for a million tastes!

IMG_2556

For the filling, I used extra-firm tofu (pressing it for about 20 mins while prepping the veggies and sauce), cucumber, red pepper, roasted salted peanuts, carrots, Thai basil, cilantro, and green onion. You’ll want to julienne the filling ingredients, slicing into matchstick like pieces. I’m not very patient, so I’m sure yours will turn out looking better than mine.

IMG_2520

To make the veggie rolls, start by placing a rice paper wrapper into a large bowl of hot tap water. When it’s soft and bendy, place it carefully onto a tea towel as shown below. My wrappers kept folding up on me and my first one ripped, so I suggest keeping a few extras on hand if it’s your first time working with rice wrappers. If this happens, just unfold the edges carefully. No big deal. Now, start layering the veggies and tofu on, keeping everything near the centre.

IMG_2522-2 IMG_2535IMG_2536 IMG_2537-3IMG_2538 IMG_2539IMG_2540 IMG_2541

When the filling is all on, fold the two sides inward and then scoop one end over top the filling and roll forward. Repeat for the rest!

IMG_2542 IMG_2543IMG_2544 IMG_2545-2

It took me a while to get the hang of rolling these, but in the end they turned out decent looking. Next time, I will definitely roll them a bit tighter, but I guess that comes with practice.

If you have leftover veggies like I did, just serve them on the side – another great vehicle for peanut sauce!

IMG_2554

Summer Veggie Rolls with Spicy Peanut Lime Sauce

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Yield: approx 8 rolls + 1/2 cup peanut sauce

For the filling:

• Spring Roll Wrappers (at least 8-10)
  • 1 block firm or extra-firm tofu
  • 1/2 English cucumber, julienned
  • 1 red bell pepper, julienned
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled & julienned
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 3-4 lettuce leaves, julienned
  • 1/4 cup fresh Thai basil leaves, minced
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, thick stems removed and minced
  • 1/3 cup roasted & salted peanuts
  • Herbamare or sea salt, to season

For the peanut lime sauce:

• 1-2 garlic cloves
  • 2 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1/4 cup natural roasted peanut butter
  • 1/2-1 tbsp peeled & roughly chopped fresh ginger
  • 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 2 tbsp low sodium tamari
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1-3 tsp water, to thin out as needed

1. Press the tofu while you prepare the filling and sauce. For pressing instructions, see here.

2. For the filling: Julienne the vegetables (slice into long thin strips). Set aside, along with peanuts.

3. For the sauce: In a mini processor, process the sauce ingredients until smooth. Adjust to taste. You may prefer more sweetener, tamari, oil, or lime juice. Or mince everything by hand and whisk.

4. Slice pressed tofu into long thin strips. You likely won’t need the entire block.

5. Set up a roll making station and gather all of your ingredients in one area. Place a tea towel on the counter and fill a very large bowl with hot tap water. Dip one rice paper wrapper into the water and carefully submerge it once it gets soft. Hold it under water for about 10 seconds, or until soft, and remove from water carefully. Place it onto the tea towel and unfold any corners that may have rolled up.

6. Add the filling ingredients in the centre of the wrapper (see pictures in post). Be careful not to overfill or the wrappers will tear. Sprinkle with peanuts and a sprinkle of salt.

7. Roll the two sides of the rice wrapper inward and then flip the bottom over top the filling and roll forward. Place roll on a plate and cover with damp paper towels. Repeat for the rest.

8. Serve the rolls immediately with the peanut dipping sauce. If you have any leftover vegetables enjoy them dipped in the sauce on the side. Sauce should keep for at least a week in a sealed container in the fridge. Rolls will keep for 1-2 days in the fridge.

IMG_2415 IMG_2419

If you aren’t down with the rice wrappers, feel free to try this with lettuce wraps! I used President’s Choice Crispy Wraps, but use any kind of lettuce you prefer. Bibb/Butter lettuce would also work well. Lettuce wraps are certainly much quicker and less fussy than the rice wrappers, so it’s a good option if you are short on time.

IMG_2452 IMG_2455IMG_2457 IMG_2461

Thanks to those of you checked out the “Speak out against Walmart’s cruelty to pigs” petition and spread the word on Facebook yesterday. I always feel so hopeless and sad regarding factory farming issues, but thanks to grassroots organizations and committed individuals, change is possible no matter how large and overwhelming the problem. As some of you noted, the issues at the root of this are the incredibly low animal welfare standards. These industry standards need to change. No animal should have a life like that. Of course, let’s not forget the power in voting with our forks.

I don’t mean to end on a sad note, but this weighs heavily on my heart! I hope you all have a great weekend.

1 Kerry July 20, 2012

YUM, can’t wait to try these!! And I feel the same way about farm animal issues… but incremental changes (like all these companies banning gestation crates) will lead to BIG changes down the road. Every little bit helps (especially the power of voting with our forks!)

2 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama July 20, 2012

These look fantastic-especially with that sauce! Have a great weekend. :-)

3 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 20, 2012

I’ve always been so apprehensive to try making these as well. I have no excuses now that you’ve done such an amazing tutorial!

4 Christa @ Edible Balance July 20, 2012

so, I’ve had rice wrappers sitting in my pantry for EVER not knowing what to do with them… plus I admit, they scare me a little. I think I’m going to have to bite the bullet and finally crack that package open! Thanks for the delicious recipe :)

5 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 23, 2012

Definitely do it! It’s a great way to eat tons of veggies :)

6 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 20, 2012

Oh and I think ‘finger’ is supposed to be ‘ginger’ in the sauce ingredients!

Don’t want people slicing off parts of their hands to recreate this delicious recipe ;)

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2012

ah that’s a funny typo. Fixed now :)

8 Ashley July 20, 2012

Haha Ang, you accidentally wrote “Fresh Finger” instead of ginger. lol!

Recipe looks drool-worthy!! :)

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2012

No matter how many times you read over something, sometimes a finger still sneaks in! lol

10 Bradly July 20, 2012

I was starting make this recipe, but couldn’t continue due to the following ingredient:

1/2-1 tbsp peeled & roughly chopped fresh finger

Since I was forced to remove my finger, I had to stop chopping veggies and rush to the first aid kit we keep in the kitchen to repair my peeled and chopped finger. Later, at the ER, they were able to reattach most of it. Is there anything else I can use in place of finger, or should I peruse the morgue next time instead?

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2012

hahahah omg I hate you! just joking. Thanks for the laugh.

12 Bradly July 20, 2012

It looked so good and I was so excited I just got caught up in the directions!

Really, it looks amazing and I can’t wait to get home tonight and give it a test, thanks for the awesome recipe!

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2012

I’ll never live that one down. ;)

Enjoy!

14 Misty July 20, 2012

Hey I was gonna make summer rolls this weekend too!!! :)

15 Edan July 20, 2012

1/2-1 tbsp peeled & roughly chopped fresh finger

Ahahahahaha!! This made my day!! ; )
OWWW!!

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2012

Glad it gave you a chuckle! Not the sauce I was hoping for.

17 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh July 20, 2012

These look sooo good! Perfect appetizer for a party or perfect lighter dinner! Nice! :-)

18 Melanie July 20, 2012

Uhhh, does that say “1/2-1 tbsp peeled & roughly chopped fresh finger” in your sauce recipe? I’m SURE this is supposed to be ginger :)

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2012

Unfortunately yes it did. haha. fixed now!

20 Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy July 20, 2012

Holy Batman. These look good. Of course I am stuck in Hickville Alberta and will not be able to find Rice paper for the life of me.

21 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 20, 2012

Love this idea – I’ve been doing nori rolls lately – they are good, but the nori is really hard to wrap tightly and cut. I need to do the rice paper! love lettuce wraps too – especially with giant collard greens.

Thanks for the heads up on Wal-Mart. i’m so disappointed with companies lately. I just posted this morning about Chick-fil-a discriminatory statement against the gay population. when will we learn to be better citizens of the world?

22 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 20, 2012

Coming from being vegan for oodles and oodles of years, it was hard for me to accept that my body did better on animal protein. As I transitioned to what I referred to as ‘the dark side’ I tried to make sure that the proteins I was choosing came from animals that were loved and taken care of as much as possible.

I will never understand why animal rights are basically nonexistent. I guess it’s the ‘out of sight, out of mind’ mentally that we’ve been stuck in for so long. The more we talk about it, the more people will know and learn that they have a choice in the matter and can make a difference by the foods they feed their families. Ah, I could talk about this forever…

On a lighter note, can’t believe this is the first time you’ve put lettuce wraps on the blog! They look delicious :)

23 Liza July 20, 2012

THANK YOU for sorting this out! I was just walking by PF Changs the other day, noticed someone eating their chicken lettuce wraps and thought “I’ve got to figure out the veggie version” – and here you are! Thanks again for making my world a little easier and more delicious.

24 Britny July 20, 2012

I am intolerant to peanuts. Do you think I could make the sauce with almond butter or do you think that would change the flavor profile too much?

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2012

I’ve seen some almond butter sauces around the internet, so I would guess it would still turn out! It’s probably worth trying to see if you like it.

26 Ksenija July 20, 2012

Thai spring rolls are one of my favorite summer dishes! And I’ll always have them with almondbutter sauce on the side – so yeah, that works fine and the flavor is a nice change to the usual peanut-thai-sauce.

27 Steph Borutski July 20, 2012

Isn’t that peanut butter to die for ?? Its definitely my favourite now – sooo silky and delcious !!

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2012

yes it’s so good!

29 Cait's Plate July 20, 2012

Another recipe winner! Love these (as always!)

30 Rachel July 20, 2012

I’m so gonna try this out! I have some of that lettuce at home :)

Ever since I became a vegetarian (almost 6 years now) it always makes me sad to hear about animals being abused. Sometimes you can’t help but take it to heart. It’s horrible the way they are treated :/

31 Alex @ Raw Recovery July 20, 2012

This is making my mouth water. I love peanut sauce on lettuce wraps and I bet it would make a great dip with raw crudités even without a wrap. One of my favorites though is at the Cheesecake Factory and I get the Thai Lettuce Wraps and sub out the meat for avocado slices. It’s delicious!

32 Sarina @ Earthgiven July 20, 2012

Yum, I love rice paper rolls! I also add avocado to mine. Yours look beautiful!

33 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets July 20, 2012

This looks so delicious! And your food photography is absolutely beautiful.

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2012

Thanks Ashley!

35 Michele July 20, 2012

In vietnamese restaurants, they often serve avocado, pineapples, vermicelli noodles, and daikon to add crunch, body, and texture.
tip: use just boiled water next time, let the wrappers sit for 5 seconds and then pull them out. The higher heat distributes the heat on the wrapper more easily and more consistently. (also helps when making a lot of rolls)
Also, this is great for a party! Everyone can make their own to their preference.
– Korean American living in NYC

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2012

Thanks for the tips! I was wondering about the temp of the water – wouldn’t boiling water hurt your fingers or do you use something to pull it out?

37 Michele July 20, 2012

Absolutely! haha, the tearing comes from a not enough heated water bowl.
For these purposes, we have these wide wood tongs that can easily take the wrapper out of the bowl. If impatient, a little burn won’t hurt =P
To prevent curling or tearing, I usually push the wrapper down to the bottom of the bowl (the curling happens because the heat is not distributed evenly).
And the process is very delicate so delicate fingers are needed ^^

38 Andrea @ Vegvacious July 20, 2012

Yummy!!! I have some collard greens at home that these will work well with too!

39 Lauren July 20, 2012

I love the taste of rice paper and making wraps with it. The only problem is I have a difficult time not tearing it, but this peanut sauce alone makes me want to try again! Thanks for another healthy meal idea!

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2012

I agree, it’s a bit fussy for my liking (I’m so not patient) but in the end I enjoyed it for a change. I’ve been using some leftover sauce, thinned out, on salads! It’s really nice. You could always chop all the ingredients and make it into a salad.

41 Lauren July 20, 2012

Thank you for replying! I’ll definitely keep the salad idea in mind. :)

42 Margaret M. July 20, 2012

Oh, these looks delicious, love the rolls and the lettuce wraps. I have to try this, perfect for a healthy snack at home. Thanks for sharing Angela.

43 Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings July 20, 2012

These look delicious! I love wraps of all kinds and I need to buy some spring roll wrappers.

44 Amanda July 20, 2012

I’ve had rice paper sitting in my pantry for months – thanks for the reminder to actually use it! I don’t have any pb on hand, but I think I will give this a try with almond butter. :)

I couldn’t bring myself to watch that Walmart video (reading the summary on the petition site was enough to make me sick to my stomach), but I did sign the petition. Thank you for sharing it with your readers. It’s heartbreaking the way animals are treated, all in the name of mass-produced, cheap food. People need to stop turning a blind eye to where their food is coming from and demand better for the animals that don’t have voices.

45 Carrie @Shrinkingcarrie July 20, 2012

Ohhh, these look delicious and I can’t wait to try them!!!

46 Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! July 20, 2012

goodness – that peanut lime sauce looks amazing! summer rolls are one of my absolute favorite things to make. I’ve never tried peanuts in them, looks amazing!
(and fabulous photography, as usual :-)

47 Suzanne P July 20, 2012

This is exactly the recipe I was looking for!! Thank you Angela!

48 Amanda July 20, 2012

These look so fresh and I love the colors! I helped make some similar wraps to these at a friends house, but she put the wrappers in the water all together for too long, plus the filling was way too hot. So they stuck and ripped and it was a mess. I’ll have to be more careful and patient when I try!

49 Kasandra July 20, 2012

Haha, isn’t it all about the sauce, all the time?! Yum. Glad you’re matching my peanut butter cravings as of late! This is definitely a standby and perfect for our hot Ontario weather! Thanks for sharing Angela :)

50 Christine Kay July 20, 2012

I’m not vegan but I LOVE having vegan meals a few times a week! This looks delish and I can’t wait to make it! Le Yum.

51 Amy July 20, 2012

I LOOOOVE spring rolls with peanut sauce and make them all the time. I usually soak the rice wrappers in warm water for just 10 seconds, put them on a plate, and then fill. They won’t be very bendy, but by the time I’m done filling they’re the perfect consistency for rolling – still just stiff enough that I can wrap tightly without tearing them, and then after sitting for a few more seconds they thin out all the way. That said, I’ve used a few different brands and sometimes they vary – weirdly enough I’ve had some that tear no matter how careful I am, and some that hold up incredibly well. It definitely takes practice to get them tight!

This sauce looks delicious! Definitely trying it next time :)

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 22, 2012

Ive heard it can vary by brand too! I will have to try other to compare. :)

53 Christina July 20, 2012

I absolutely LOVE Spring rolls! They can be tricky due to the delicate nature of the rice paper, but they are fun to make. I feel that lots of cilantro is key inside spring rolls, and of course a tasty peanut dipping sauce is the highlight! Yum!

54 Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures July 20, 2012

I have always been nervous to make spring rolls, since my one try at rolling my own sushi didn’t turn out so great. I think I will go ahead and give it a try!

55 Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See July 20, 2012

Yum both types look great…though my mind is trained to love anything that is a vehicle for peanut sauce :)

56 Averie @ Averie Cooks July 20, 2012

They’re gorgeous! Once you get the hang of wrapping them, they are fabulous to make at home. Customizable, and about 100-fold cheaper than in the deli case from the groc store. And that peanut sauce. mmmm, Love peanut sauce on anything!

57 Janessa @ Epicurious Vegan July 20, 2012

Oh dang….. I have never been inspired to make salad rolls at home before, but you make it look actually doable… and that peanut sauce is enough to tempt me to try ANYTHING at home.

58 Janae @ Bring-Joy July 20, 2012

Angela, way to go for doing some activism against factory farming. I too, am hestitant & feel hopeless, but I know to sit back & do nothing is not the answer.

Great tutorial. A good Thai spring roll w/ a good peanut sauce is my definition of bliss. Good work, as always.

59 allison July 20, 2012

you can also use rice noodles in the salad rolls and serve them chilled….this vietnamese place here makes them and they are to die for. this is a great idea! can’t wait to make them for the kids…but need to modify a sauce for my one child who’s got a nut allergy. i wonder if sunflower seed butter would taste good in it. thank you so much. forgot about rice wraps :-) i roll a mean cabbage roll, i think i can do this ;-)

60 Devi - Playful and hungry July 22, 2012

Can he eat almonds? Almond butter sauce tastes great, too!

61 Nikki @ ActiveVegetarian July 20, 2012

Mmmm… I make a similar dressing, the peanut butter and lime combo is delicious!!
(Also good with a little coconut milk and chili paste… if you like spice.)
Nori wraps filled with veggies are good with the dip as well :-)

62 Lisa @ the raw serenity July 20, 2012

That sauce looks and sounds amazing!
This would be a good idea for a lunch for uni or on the road (minus the tofu unless you have cooler)
I’ve never tried making my own rice paper rolls before because I too was a tad scared x

63 Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife July 20, 2012

Omg! This looks so good – especially the peanut sauce!! Totally gonna make this soon!

64 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 20, 2012

These are so perfect for these warmer days. Love it!

65 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 20, 2012

I love summer rolls but I’m always too intimidated by the rice wrappers to make them at home. Really need to get over it and try it soon – this dipping sauce recipe might be the kick in the butt I need, it sounds so good!

66 Christine July 20, 2012

So we were on the same page apparently because yesterday I bought basil, cilantro, limes and mint at the grocery store!! I made this for lunch and turned it in to a salad… Added a little chili sauce to the dressing too. Amazing! Next time I would add some rice noodles too for a heartier meal. Thanks Angela! Have a great weekend!

67 Moni Meals July 20, 2012

One of my favorite meals. I have a recipe very similar to this, also I make a similar dressing but I always add it with a hit of cayenne! I love your lime here and would love to make yours. Have a great weekend!

68 Emily July 20, 2012

I’m pretty sure within the first 30 seconds of that video I was crying…it makes me sick!!! Thanks for the lettuce wraps, they look awesome

69 Tanya July 20, 2012

These are just the thing I have been looking for! Cannot wait to use my fresh farmer’s market veggies for this!

70 Fiona July 21, 2012

Whole Foods sells brown rice paper spring roll wrappers and they are AWESOME! They are made by Happy Pho. Also I only dunk my wrappers in water for a second and the texture is much better. If they get wet for too long they seem to get too soft and bendy. Can’t wait to try your dressing!! Thank you!

71 Nancy Stern July 21, 2012

I have started putting a little sauce inside because dipping a second bite is not nice!

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 22, 2012

That is a great idea!

73 Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen July 21, 2012

Mmmmmm…I love summer rolls, and I make them all the time! It’s amazing how easy they are once you get the hang of them!

74 R.A. July 21, 2012

These look delicious, thanks for the lettuce version as the rice paper wrappers are a bit time consuming. I have found that the easiest way to soften the wrappers is to use a pie plate to put the water in. I have a ten inch one that is the perfect size and since I no longer make pies I am glad to have found an alternate use for the dish. I always tell my family it takes longer to make these than it does to eat them!

75 Tracy July 21, 2012

I love spring rolls and don’t make them enough. Such a light but tasty meal! I will definitely try your dipping sauce recipe! Here’s something that might help the papers from folding – I put water in a flat dinner plate/platter with a little edge on it (kind of like the dark blue one you have in the picture) to soak the papers in. They seem to stay flatter and not try to roll or fold that way. Of course, it could just be a brand thing, and not really have anything to do with what you soak them in. :) And sometimes I even add a few cooked, rinsed and cooled rice noodles in the wrap – yum!

76 nyc2675 July 21, 2012

Hi Angela,
I dont have sesame oil. Do you think tahini (basically just roasted sesame seeds) would work?

77 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 22, 2012

That’s a great question. I’m not sure since this was my first time making it. Peanut oil would be a good sub although I know not very common either. Olive oil might work although the flavour will change. Im not sure about tahini since it’s so powerful, maybe you could use a combo of tahini and a touch of another oil?

78 Katrina July 21, 2012

Loooove that sauce! Yum!

79 Kristen July 21, 2012

I always found the rice paper hard to work with. I’m gonna try using the lettuce wraps for tacos… since I love tacos but try to avoid the tortillas! Thanks for the idea.

Kristen

80 Hollie July 22, 2012

Just made these tonight and everybody loved them. Thank you for the awesome recipe! I then whipped up your sinless sticky toffee pudding. Again, everyone loved it! Thank you for all of the great recipes! I love reading your blog :)

81 Devi - Playful and hungry July 22, 2012

I love those lettuce wraps! I’ve done lettuce and spinach wraps before…. I didn’t know that they actually sell special lettuce leaves for lettuce wraps in the US!

82 Jenny$1983 July 22, 2012

I’ve signed the petition and shared it on Facebook. I signed a similar one for UK companies, I’ve been signing a lot lately since I’ve discovered them. I get so angry and so sad that I just want to go on a murderous rampage, quite frankly. Ugh.

Excellent recipes, thank you :)

83 Lesley July 22, 2012

Just made the sauce today – amazing!!! You’re right, the fresh ingredients make it. The rice paper does take some practice to get right- I also appreciate all the tips from others. And I agree – your photography is gorgeous!!!

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 22, 2012

Glad you enjoyed the sauce Lesley! Thanks for your kind words about the photography. :)

85 Jenny July 22, 2012

Hi Ange, that video moved me to tears, it is heinous and I can’t believe that its tolerated. It makes me feel helpless as well, but thank you for sharing it, since awareness breeds change. I love your blog!!

86 Caitlin July 22, 2012

I love summer rolls! The sauce sounds amazing. :)

My friend used to work in her family’s Vietnamese restaurant and she gave me the best tip for rice paper wrappers — instead of soaking them in water, put them on a plate and brush with warm water using a pastry brush, then flip it over and repeat with the other side. Then fill. I’ve never had one tear, it works perfectly every time! :)

87 Monica July 22, 2012

I have prepared the wraps for dinner on Friday and they were just amazing!!! I added avocado in some, but other than that I followed your recipe. The sauce was so yummy!

88 Kelly @ My Love Affair with Running July 23, 2012

These look healthy, nutritious and amazingly delicious!!! So making these Wednesday night :D

89 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 23, 2012

I once worked in a Thai restaurant where I learned how to make these lovely treats. We made ours on cutting boards (not tea cloths) and the edges sorta stuck to the plastic. That may help with the edges curling. They look wonderful!

90 Janel July 23, 2012

I used to get so frustrated with those thin, flimsy rice paper wraps too, always folding and sticking and ripping. Then I just started doubling them up, since two rice paper wraps are still pretty thin. It holds things together MUCH better (keeping things together for leftovers the next day) and is less stressful. Rice paper should not be stressful!

91 Cheryl July 23, 2012

Just made these with my 14 year old…..a perfect summer activity, so healthy and delicious. These were AWESOME Angela. You are so talented……never made a recipe of your that I didn’t like or that my family didn’t like.

92 Claire @ green 'n' golden July 23, 2012

This sauce is a winner! I made it last night as a stir fry sauce, and the whole family loved it. Thanks!

93 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 24, 2012

I’m happy to hear that Claire! Enjoy

94 Melisejane July 24, 2012

Yum! I just made these, but I got too exited and left the tofu out!!!! It was patiently being pressed:) that sauce was Oh my lordy, so good!! Had a litle but that I couldn’t soak up so I had some with a few corn chips, hehehehe. Thank you :)<3

95 Melisejane July 24, 2012

Oh Mann I just relied I left the peanuts out too!!! Haha. Looks like I am going to have to make them again… What a chore!

96 Kathryn July 24, 2012

I love summer rolls! I’ve had rice papers in my pantry for FOREVER. I need to just make some already. I’ve had them from the grocery store with avocado and strawberries. The strawberries make them so pretty!

97 Allie July 25, 2012

Made these tonight for 7 people…5 kids 2 adults! Added vermicelli and soaked my cukes in rice wine vinegar and sea salt. Made the peanut sauce with sunflower seed butter! Only 4 rolls left, we have awesome kids!

98 allison July 26, 2012

i wanted to add if you want a tighter roll, put your filling in the bottom half of the wrap, fold ends over filling then tightly lift up bottom half and pull over and tuck under filling then wrap tightly. Just like cabbage rolls :-)

99 Sarah @ whatdoyoueatthen.wordpress.com July 29, 2012

Made these tonight and they were ohhhh sooo yummmy and fresh! Made your peanut dipping sauce as well as a cilantro lemon tahini sauce and they complimented eachother really well! Thanks for reminding me how good rice paper wraps are!

100 Mary July 29, 2012

You have some really great vegan recipes on this blog. Am not a vegan myself but i enjoy some vegan meals. The rolls above look really tasty for sure!

101 Amy Johnson July 30, 2012

I loved these SOOOO much, I’ve made them for a second time. I also used the ingredients on top of some brown rice vermicilli to make my own salad/ thai noodle bowl (think more lettuce and sauce as the dressing!) I think it was an excuse to have more sauce, so delicious!

102 Evie July 30, 2012

These are really delicious! I like to eat it with sweet thai chili sauce to dip! Have you tried it? Yum!

103 Candice July 31, 2012

I bought the President’s Choice crispy wraps once but after eating a few realized that they were COVERED in small red bugs (aphids?). The package even said that the wraps were “triple washed.” I haven’t bought them since. Be sure to look carefully and wash them.

104 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2012

*shudder* My worst nightmare…I’ve had this happen with produce before and it makes me literally nauseous. I dont blame you for not eating it again!!

105 Laura July 31, 2012

Try either in a sushi nori (seaweed) wrap. You can get a huge pac at PAT central in Koreatown. I’ve been wrapping sprouts & spinach in them for snacks, dip it in some sauce & it’s delicious!

106 Regan August 10, 2012

I just made these today. They were super easy and absolutely delicious!
I just wanted to point out that they’re labeled as “raw vegan” but since the recipe calls for roasted peanuts, peanut butter and tofu they aren’t actually raw vegan.

I highly recommend trying these out if those three things don’t restrict you.

107 Ann-Louise August 26, 2012

What gorgeous food! Spring rolls are one of my favorite foods and I’ve been on the look-out for a tastey peanut sauce to have with them. I’m definately making this tomorrow!

108 Lacey Outlaw August 28, 2012

Hi! I’m so happy I came across your site…thanks to Pintrest! I just started eating no meat, no dairy, and was getting deperate for some help. Then…ahhhhhh! Your site if FULL of ideas!
So I’m new to all of this, and especially tofu, I have a stupid question……is there any cooking involved in the tofu strips? Or do you just press it and slice it?
Thanks!

109 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 28, 2012

Hey Lacey, I just pressed it and sliced it, as I dont mind cold tofu. If you do, you can cook it first (a simple pan fry would do) enjoy!

110 Jill September 2, 2012

I made this recipe tonight and I felt like two cloves of garlic was WAY too much. I might smell like garlic forever! Is it me?

111 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2012

It is very garlic-y!! I will edit the recipe to say 1-2 cloves :)

112 Jill September 3, 2012

It’s so good though. That peanut sauce is amazing. Thx for the response! (PS I’m a big fan of yours and have been for a few years now. Thanks for all the great ideas!)

113 Claudia September 3, 2012

Mmmmm, I have made these countless of times now since finding this recipe and have to say that they are absolutely delicious! Thank you, Angela.

114 Hil September 9, 2012

Hi Angela,

These are delicious! I have made them at least 4 times. The last time I made a double batch! I am curious if you have the same problem as me when making the sauce. The first time I made it I used a regular sized food processor and the soy sauce leaked out from the lid. So I bought a mini food processor and the same thing happened. Does this happen to you? Any tips on how to avoid it?

I love your recipes! Thank you so much :)

hil

115 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2012

Hey there, Sorry to hear that happened to you – it often happens with my Cuisinart and I agree its frustrating!
I now use my mini food processor for my sauces – no leaking problems so far!

116 Magda Young September 24, 2012

I made these last night for dinner and to have for lunch today… and oh boy, I can’t possibly wait 3 more hours to have them for lunch!!! So simple and delicious! This is going to be my new staple….these are GF and I can fill it with all the veggies I like. So convenient as well as it can be pre-prepped by cutting the veggies beforehand. (I don’t tolerate peanuts well, so I used GF sweet hot chili sauce).

117 Shawna November 2, 2012

I have just recently become a vegetarian and just bought some tofu for the first time (I have never had it before- eek!) I could only find medium-firm tofu, but have realized that not many recipes that I have looked at anywhere use that kind of tofu. Does it really matter if it’s medium or firm or extra firm?

118 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 3, 2012

Hey Shawna, It’s a personal preference when it comes down to it. I prefer firm tofu (I drain it too) because the texture is nicer to me. You can experiment with what you enjoy though! Goodluck

119 Sarah July 10, 2013

I have never liked tofu, but this looks so good I have to try it. I was surprised the tofu was raw. I had to look up whether it was safe to eat raw.

By the way, I love your site! It is so inspiring!

120 Cory August 5, 2013

My fiancé told me…this sauce is highly addictive.Great spring rolls and that sauce…yumm,I could slurp it with a straw ;)

121 Julie T. August 19, 2013

I made these last week, yum! The sauce was so good we’re having it on cold rice noodles with some blanched and chilled broccoli for a light summer dinner tonight. Thanks!

122 Morgan January 4, 2014

I found that using a Silpat, vs a tea towel, worked fabulous. I fill a 12 inch skillet with luke warm water. After sliding the paper through the water 2 times, just let it sit for about 30 seconds on the Silpat. It will naturally soak up the excess water and become pliable. Here is a great link that had great tips and brand suggestions: http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/06/how-to-wrap-rice-paper-rolls-summer-rolls.html

123 Noreen January 13, 2014

Made these spring rolls this evening. They were simple to prepare and delicious. Thank you for sharing.

124 Sonya February 11, 2014

Wow! You did a fabulous job with this recipe, “Veggie Summer Rolls with Spicy Peanut Lime Sauce”. I can’t wait to try it. I am very impressed by your efforts in posting all of the detailed instructions and clear, concise pictures to follow. So well done!
Thanks again :) Blessings

125 Q February 27, 2014

Protip: Don’t soak the rice paper so long. 10 seconds or until soft is too long. You want to quickly get it wet in hot water which will take maybe 3-5 seconds. The paper will still feel stiff but it quickly becomes saturated as you start gathering things To place and roll. By the time you’re ready to roll it up it should be soft enough but not soggy and easily prone to ripping. If you start when it’s soggy, it will only get soggier.

126 Stephanie April 29, 2014

Thank you for this super easy and delicious recipe! Once my coworkers found out I am vegan, we started spending a lot of time talking about food. One of them suggested I try making spring rolls with rice paper as I have never tried this. She brought me some from an Asian store and wow are they delicious! I have to admit I was afraid of the rice paper but it turned out to be very easy to work with. Thanks again!

127 Karan Kumar January 17, 2015

its too good way to earn the knowledge about the cook things from here
I love to cook these things
And I love to spend time here

128 Claire March 30, 2015

I have everything ready to make these, so will do it this week :) If you’re on Instagram I’ll take a photo and tag you :)

129 Denise May 1, 2015

Is it okay to use honey or some alternative in the peanut sauce if I don’t have sugar?