Speedy Summer Hemp Power Salad

powersalad   Speedy Summer Hemp Power Salad

One of the things I love about summer is that I can eat like a Queen without much effort. Mid July, our crisper is now overflowing with farmer’s market vegetables, none of which need much fuss or strategic planning in order for a memorable meal. Life gets a bit simpler (yet busier) in the summer and our meals tend to follow suit.

This salad is one such easy summer dish I made yesterday. It took about 10 minutes to prepare and it’s almost entirely raw. If there was such a thing as summer in a bowl this would be it. Tomatoes, corn, cucumber, red pepper, fresh dill, and green onion make up the base, while a creamy avocado lemon dressing ties it all together. The flavour is out of this world.

Instead of using a bean or legume for the protein (and requiring the stove-top!), I used hulled hemp seed, a complete protein containing all 10 essential amino acids and also an excellent source of B vitamins, folic acid, Chlorophyll, Vitamin E, potassium, and more (source). Hemp is easy to digest and a fun way to pump up any salad. A little bit goes a loooong way. You can find it in the natural food section of most grocery stores, as well as bulk food stores like Bulk Barn, online (see my vegan shopping guide here), and in health food stores.

IMG 2269   Speedy Summer Hemp Power Salad

Plus, it’s so darn pretty!

Each 2-cup serving of this salad contains 15 grams of protein, 11 grams of fibre, and 14 grams of healthy fats making it hearty and satisfying.

IMG 2263   Speedy Summer Hemp Power Salad IMG 2259   Speedy Summer Hemp Power Salad

It also goes fantastic with my newest chip obsession – Neal Brothers Tortillas!

IMG 2270   Speedy Summer Hemp Power Salad

Speedy Summer Hemp Power Salad

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Yield: 4 cups

for the vegetable base:

• 1 cup fresh or frozen corn (thawed & drained if using frozen)
  • 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1 & 1/2 cups chopped cucumber (about 1/2 an English cuke)
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 1 tbsp minced fresh dill weed
  • 3 tbsp hulled hemp seed

for the dressing:

• 1/2 cup avocado flesh (1/2 a large avocado)
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 3 tbsp water
  • 1 tbsp hemp seed
  • 1/4 tsp fine grain kosher salt, or to taste
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast

1. Chop vegetables and place into a large bowl.

2. In a mini processor, process the dressing ingredients together until mostly smooth. You can also mash/chop/mix the dressing ingredients by hand.

3. Pour dressing onto vegetables and stir well. Now, stir the hemp seed into the salad. Season to taste and serve. Sprinkle with hemp seed on top because it’s pretty! This salad is best served immediately. With time, water will release from the vegetables and pool at the bottom.

Nutritional Info: (per 2 cup serving) 332 cals, 16 grams fat (2 sat), 28 g carbs, 11 g fibre, 10 g sugar, 15 g protein.

IMG 2211   Speedy Summer Hemp Power Salad IMG 2217 2   Speedy Summer Hemp Power SaladIMG 2219   Speedy Summer Hemp Power Salad IMG 2223   Speedy Summer Hemp Power SaladIMG 2225 2   Speedy Summer Hemp Power Salad IMG 2227   Speedy Summer Hemp Power SaladIMG 2250 2   Speedy Summer Hemp Power Salad

Summer at its finest.

Enjoy!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 11, 2012

15g of protein is amazing! I love it! I’m not a huge corn fan, but I bet some frozen edamame would be incredible here – especially with the avocado dressing.

Hemp seed is a new one to be, but I am really loving the nutty taste it adds to dishes. I’ve been sprinkling it on everything, and even blending it into chilled summer soups.

Angela July 11, 2012

Edamame would be awesome and a great source of protein too…I was actually debating putting it in the salad! I can’t get enough of it.

Gina @ Walk to the Mailbox January 16, 2013

Hilarious! I am just logging on because I have made this recipe so many times I have memorized it. Hardly a day has gone by in months that my fridge isn’t stocked with atleast 12-16 cups of this deliciousness. The other day I had saw some frozen edamame in my freezer and decided to add. I’m so excited eating it now that I wanted to log onto the comments and add that it would be a great addition. Looks like a TON of people had the same thought! Yippee! <3

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 11, 2012

I love the tomato + corn combo! I’ve never tried any hemp food product before but I keep hearing about how amazing it is. I’ll have to check out our local health food store next time to see if I can find any!

Christa @ Edible Balance July 11, 2012

I am loving the stats on that salad! Avocados are my obsession right now, I really need to get some groceries in my fridge and make this immediately! The weather has been so amazing I haven’t wanted to do anything but sit outside, but my fridge is so very empty ;)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh July 11, 2012

Wow! I’m super impressed with the nutritional info on this bad boy! Definitely bookmarking this one!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 11, 2012

Looks pretty! I agree with Laura above and would add edamame too, but I love the hemp seed addition! I think the people at Bulk Barn are going to think I’m hoarding it somewhere because I’ve purchased so much lately!! Have a great day Ange!

raechel @the rebel grrl kitchen July 11, 2012

Gorgeous, Ang! I don’t love dill, so do you think cilantro would work?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2012

Any herb you like would probably be great in this! I just used dill because Im a huge fan :)

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! July 11, 2012

I really love the nuttiness of hemp seeds so I’m sure they taste amazing in this salad! Love all the summery produce included as well!

Jo @ LivingMintGreen July 11, 2012

Be still my heart. I love meals like this, esp in the summer when all I want to eat is fresh veggies & fruit. <3

Ellen Allard (Gluten Free Diva) July 11, 2012

Ooooh, I love the “gluten free” status of this recipe. Can’t wait to try it! Thanks for sharing!

LizAshlee July 11, 2012

I love simple summer salads too..I am definitely saving this recipe to make this weekend!

Faith @ For the Health of It July 11, 2012

I’ve never used hemp seeds in salads, but it looks like a fantastic add-in, especially when countered with the creamy avocado! Hemp is awesome though – I put it on top of a vegan high-protein cauliflower mash and thought I was in heaven. That reminds me – maybe I should make that dish again!

Danielle July 11, 2012

I love hempseeds and avocado on my salads! I have one packed for lunch today :)

Joanna July 11, 2012

I got hooked on hemp seeds a few months ago and can’t get enough. Can’t wait to try it with avocado dressing.

Janae @ Bring-Joy July 11, 2012

Love hemp, but have always had a heck of a time finding it anywhere (I’ve had to order it) & I wish it wasn’t so expensive, but I love the stuff, so I buy it anyway. I like sprinkling on pasta b/c it kinda reminds me of parmesean cheese (used to love the stuff).

nicole @ its about the journey not the destination July 11, 2012

mmm this looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it =)

Kathy Steger July 11, 2012

Your pictures always look amazing. I cant wait to try this salad tonight. Love love avocadoes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2012

Thanks Kathy! I hope you enjoy it.

Sarah July 11, 2012

Yum! I love hemp too. They now sell it at costco in canada in the big bags, it’s the cheapest I’ve seen!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2012

Do they really?? That’s exciting! I will keep my eyes peeled for it.

Sarah July 11, 2012

Yep, in the cereal aisle :) its the Manitoba harvest brand.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2012

I wouldnt have thought to look for it there. Thanks for the tip

Anna July 11, 2012

Hulled hemp seeds. Hmmm. I’ve never used them before — but they make a pretty salad (not to mention all the nutritional qualities! I’m going to have to give it a shot.
I completely agree about summer being more simple but somehow busier, and food reflecting it. We’ve been eating lots of salads and grilled veggies in my house, and I think we should give this a try!

Heather @ Fit Mama Real Food July 11, 2012

I have a huge bag of hemp seeds ready for something like this!

Jody July 11, 2012

We love hemp in our house. Hemp seed, hemp oil, and hemp protein/fiber powder. All of these are used daily in our house, especially by my vegetarian daughter.
This salad looks delicious. I have all the ingredients (happy dance!) so i am going to make this for lunch.
Avocado and hemp seed make a super yummy combination!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2012

I’ve been wanting to try out hemp oil for ages now. I’ve heard it’s one of the healthiest oils to take daily!
Hope you enjoy the salad Jody.

Andrea @ Vegvacious July 11, 2012

I love this time of year too! There really is nothing better than fresh from the vine, local produce. Great idea about adding hemp seeds — I need to increase my protein intake and I never thought about using hemp seeds and I just happen to have some in my refrigerator :)

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See July 11, 2012

I’ve been doing the same thing! Plenty of farmers’ market produce to make salad, homemade tapas (!!!), and even breakfast too :)

Emily July 11, 2012

I have never tried hulled hemp seed and this makes me want to run out the door for some right now! I just so happen to have all of those veggies in my fridge-lunch!!!
Great looking recipe-thanks!

Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 11, 2012

Love avocado-based dressings; that color is amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Kacie Phillips July 11, 2012

YUM! This recipe looks delicious! i am archiving it now. What a perfect summer treat.

Cait's Plate July 11, 2012

My boyfriend’s mom was recently in an accident and was told to up her protein for healing. I’m definitely going to make her this!

Carrie (Carrie on Vegan) July 11, 2012

Ohh, yummy yummy! I have started using hemp seeds so much more in my cooking. I made a salad similar to yours and used the seeds in a dressing, I just blended them with an avocado, apple cider vinegar and a few dates for sweetness. My other favorite way to use hemp seeds is in a raw cookie. Thanks for the continued inspiration!

amelia July 11, 2012

I love that I have every ingredient in my fridge from our CSA this week, including fresh sweet corn! I know what’s going to be for lunch, with a side of my Ezekiel wrap chips and some okra!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2012

that sounds lovely!

Lindsay July 11, 2012

This looks amazing and I only need a few more ingredients! Can’t wait to try it out!! This would be great with some raw bread, too.

Ann July 11, 2012

This looks fantastic and “so Angela.” Can’t wait to make it! Yummy yummers :)

Amanda July 11, 2012

I’ve been loving these types of meals lately, when it’s been way too hot to turn on the oven. The produce is so awesome right now – it can totally stand on its own. Looking forward to trying this salad!

Tracy July 11, 2012

Love this recipe! I actually do something very similar, I think the only difference is that I cube my avocado instead of using it as a dressing. Great flavors :)

Kim Oakes July 11, 2012

So, like a crazy person, I was at the grocery store at 7 when it opened to buy all of these ingredients. Let me just say… .YUM! I can’t wait for lunch.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2012

hah nice. ;) Hope you enjoy it Kim.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning July 11, 2012

I definitely feel like I eat like a queen in the summer too. The only problem is- there are TOO many good veggies at the farmers market! I tend to go way overboard and buy enough to stock up my entire fridge. My husband and I both love veggies, and can have a big serving with each meal- but there’s still only so much that 2 people can eat (and it KILLS me to throw away produce!)

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 11, 2012

power salad indeed! this looks incredible!

Jesse (Out To Lunch Creations) July 11, 2012

This salad sounds amazing! I LOVE avocado dressings, they are so creamy and delicious.

Willow July 11, 2012

Mm, I’d love a bowl of this for picnicing this afternoon! I’ve just recently started using hemp seeds, and their nutritional power still boggles my mind… they’re incredible! Will definitely be making this salad soon. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 11, 2012

oooooh this sounds SO fresh and delicious! i love the dressing too…something i think i’d use on just about anything!

Fran July 11, 2012

Please forgive me if this was asked earlier or mentioned but I am new to using different grains and seeds. Did you use both hulled hemp seeds and hemp seeds for this? The recipe I printed mentions both. Many Thanks~I love your recipes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2012

Hey Fran, Sorry if I confused you! I used shelled (or hulled) hemp seeds throughout. Enjoy :)

Meredith July 11, 2012

Hey Ange! Can this avocado dressing be made up ahead of time and stored in the fridge or it it best used immediately?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2012

I wouldn’t expect the dressing would last more than a 1-2 days. I find avocado can “go” pretty quick once prepared. I’m sure it would be fine for a couple days though.

Page 1 of 3123»