Layered Raw Taco Salad for Two

IMG_0645

If you ever find yourself in a salad rut, this raw taco salad is a great way to break out of it. Hearty and flavourful, every bite is a fiesta in your mouth. It’s a bit (ok, a lot) different from the taco salad of my youth, but certainly no less tasty!

My inspiration comes from the taco salad that I enjoyed at The Naked Sprout meet-up over the weekend. Layered with greens, guacamole, salsa, sunflower taco meat, and a cashew cream, I knew this was something I would be making at home real soon. As in, within 24 hours of consumption. I don’t mess around during the salad-a-day challenge…no sir-ee.

IMG_3272

Here are a few ways that I changed up this salad:

• I used walnuts instead of sunflower seeds for the taco meat. I’ve had success making walnut taco meat in the past, so I stuck with that recipe, only simplifying it to just a few ingredients.
  • I made a macadamia cream sauce instead of a cashew cream sauce. Feel free to use whichever nut you wish.
  • Red leaf romaine instead of flat-leaf mixed greens because I think the romaine has a better texture to serve as the base of such a hearty salad. Again, use any green you prefer.
  • I used my Endurance Crackers because I had some in my freezer just waiting to be used. I absolutely loved them in this salad.

I put together a step-by-step assembly of the salad in photos for us visual people. The recipes are below!

1. Add a hearty base of greens in a large bowl.

IMG_0624

2. Add a heaping 1/4 cup scoop of 3-minute guacamole (recipe below) in the middle of the lettuce.

IMG_0629

3. Spoon on a couple tablespoons of your favourite salsa.

IMG_0634IMG_0628

4. Add half of the walnut taco meat.

IMG_0636

5. Spoon a couple tablespoons of cream sauce into a baggie, snip off the end, and “pipe” it onto the salads. Fancy. Or, simply spoon it onto the salad directly.

IMG_0638

6. Add chopped tomato, red onion, and green onion on top.

IMG_0642

7. Finally, stick your favourite crackers in! I used my Endurance Crackers. Feel free to use tortilla chips or any cracker you see worthy.

IMG_0650

I like to think of this salad as a vitamin in a bowl. It’s not only delicious, but literally bursting with nutrients and health. It lasted all of 3 minutes in front of me…maybe less. Eric, who is not a guacamole fan, surprised me by devouring it also.

Layered Raw Taco Salad for Two

Don’t let the long ingredient list put you off; the entire recipe took me about 30 minutes or so. Feel free to adapt this salad depending on what you have in your kitchen.

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Inspired by : The Naked Sprout’s Taco Salad

Walnut Taco Meat: (adapted from my taco meat recipes) (yield: scant 1/2 cup)

• 1/2 cup walnuts, soaked for 2-8 hours
  • 1 & 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp cumin powder
  • fine grain sea salt, to taste
  • cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)

Cashew or Macadamia cream: (yield: 1 heaping cup)

• 1 cup macadamia (or cashew) nuts, soaked in water for 2-8 hours
  • 11-12 tbsp water (use as needed to achieve desired consistency)
  • 2-3 tbsp fresh lemon juice, to taste
  • fine grain sea salt, to taste (I used just over 1/4 tsp)

3-Minute Guacamole: (yield: 3/4 cup)

• 1 large ripe avocado
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 1/2 small tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tbsp + 1 tsp fresh lime juice
  • scant 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste

Other salad ingredients:

• greens of choice
  • salsa
  • green onion (optional)
  • crackers

Taco meat: In a food processor (or by hand), pulse (or chop) the ingredients until combined. Make sure to leave the walnuts chunky. Remove and set aside.

Cream sauce: Drain and rinse the soaked nuts. Add them into a processor and process. Stream in about 1/2 cup water and a couple tbsp of lemon juice. Add more water as needed to achieve your desired consistency. The nut sauce should be super smooth and not grainy. Add salt to taste.

Guacamole: In a medium-sized bowl, mash the avocado flesh with a fork, leaving some chunks. Stir in the chopped tomato, red onion, lime juice, and seasonings to taste.

To assemble: (per bowl) Add a hefty base of greens in a large bowl followed by a heaping 1/4 cup scoop of guacamole in the middle. Spoon on 2 tbsp of salsa over the greens followed by half of the taco meat. Add a couple tbsp of cream into a plastic baggie, snip off end, and pipe over top the taco meat. Garnish with a chopped green onion and leftover chopped tomato and red onion. Place a few crackers into the salad before serving. If you find yourself with leftover lemon and lime juice like I did, place juice into a glass, fill with water, add liquid sweetener to taste, and serve over ice.

IMG_0662

Strawberry Nut Cream

The nut cream recipe makes a cup’s worth, so you might be wondering what to do with it the leftovers like I was. You can actually use nut cream as a sub for thick dairy cream in so many recipes. Think pasta sauces, cream-based soups, mashed potatoes, a spread on sandwiches or wraps, etc. Feel free to add herbs, spices, and seasonings to jazz up the flavour. I’ve also read that it can be frozen for a couple months.

I decided to use some of the nut cream as a base for a sweet strawberry dessert and breakfast cream. Yummy.

Enjoy this strawberry cream over top of oatmeal, vegan overnight oats, pancakes, desserts, or even in smoothies!

1. Add 6-7 large strawberries into a processor along with 1/4 cup nut cream and 1 tbsp pure maple syrup. Remove strawberry cream and store in the fridge in a sealed container for up to a few days.

IMG_0653

2. I made Banana Soft Serve with the strawberry cream. I added 2 tbsp of the strawberry cream into the processor with a frozen and chopped banana and 1/2 tbsp almond butter.

IMG_0654

3. Instant “Strawberries ‘n Cream” banana soft serve!

IMG_0657

4. Serve with chopped strawberries in a mini parfait glass for a cold & creamy summer dessert.

Strawberries ‘n cream vegan overnight oats will also be happening. :)

1 Anjali @ The Picky Eater June 12, 2012

LOVE the idea of making taco meat from walnuts! I’d probably make cashew cream since I’m partial to cashews, and maybe add some fresh corn off the cob too, but otherwise I’m totally recreating this at home! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

I hope you enjoy it! Corn on the cob is a KILLER idea!!!

3 Gail March 23, 2013

Just wondering where the garlic is? I want to make the taco salad but it reads a little bland to me!! Do you think garlic in the guacamole would be enough or maybe in the nut cream sauce?? I’m a new vegan with a “spicy” tooth!! :)

Gail

4 casey October 26, 2013

I am kinda disappointed that all the reviews talk about how it LOOKS amazing and cant wait to TRY…. Reviews should be actual reviews and suggestions of the recipes.

5 Lindsay June 12, 2012

These both look amazing! Can’t wait to try em :)

6 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } June 12, 2012

I just told my boyfriend that I was craving Mexican tonight but wasn’t sure what to make – such perfect timing!

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

I hope you both enjoy it Erica :)

8 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 12, 2012

What a beauty!! I’d never thought to replace cashews with another nut to make creamy sauces. I’ll have to give it a try! About the walnuts.. yes, I agree, you do have a way with walnuts! I remember the lentil walnut loaf from Thanksgiving and that was phenomenal! Happy Tuesday lady! :)

9 Georgina June 12, 2012

I am making that salad tonight! I think I’ve got all the ingredients. Lucky me, I also stopped at the fruit farm for the first berries of the season here in Ottawa. Thank you for giving us a great salad an dessert! Do you prefer macadamia or cashews for the cream?

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Hey Georgina, Let me know what you think of it! I think I prefer mac nuts (they are just so luxurious tasting), but I do find cashews to be cheaper so I use those most often. I also think cashews puree smoother in texture. It really doesn’t matter much either way!

11 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh June 12, 2012

I have never heard of the walnut taco meat but you can bet I’m gonna see if I can sneak it past the Mr!! Can’t wait to try it!

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Goodluck, I hope he likes it. It adds a nice texture and flavour.

13 Somer June 13, 2012

Walnuts are the meatiest and sneakiest. I think your Mr. may approve!!!

14 Faith @ For the Health of It June 12, 2012

I’m so excited about this walnut taco meat! I’ve been looking for a replacement that wasn’t TVP or a crumbled soy product. Should be delicious…as is anything with guac!

15 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 12, 2012

you’re right! that is a vitamin in a bowl! and it looks crazy delicious too! i love the piping of the cream:) and that strawberry cream — swoon! thanks for sharing!

16 Kristin June 12, 2012

This looks amazing, one of my favorite things to do is recreate meals from restaurants! I will be making this very soon! Oh and if I don’t stream the water into the food processor while making the nut sauce will it still come out right?

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Yup! :)

18 Kathy June 12, 2012

Your salad looks very similar to one I recently duplicated at home after a visit to Chipole Restaurant. I added black beans to mine though instead of the taco meat. It was delicious. But the taco meat looks really interesting. I am going to give that a try also. The strawberry cream also looks awesome.

19 B @ Crags and Veggies June 12, 2012

I am absolutely loving watching all these salads! Great challenge!

20 Brittany June 12, 2012

Oh, this looks AMAZING! We’ve been making taco-seasoned chickpea salad with spicy dressing and it’s kind of a taco-themed salad, but it would be nice to try this one with the walnut “meat.” I have gotten bf hooked on salads this year and want to keep trying more veggie-based ideas. Thanks so much!

21 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

I love the idea of using chickpeas in the taco meat. I will try that next time :)

22 Brittany June 12, 2012

Ah! We’ve actually just been drizzling chickpeas in olive oil, sprinkling them with taco seasoning, and then roasting them at 400* for 30 minute or so. Makes them nice and crunchy and super spicy/taco-flavored! But using chickpeas instead of walnuts would probably make good taco “meat”? Hmmm…now you have me curious, as well!

I’m a new-ish reader and you may have this mentioned somewhere, but what kind of food processor do you have?

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

That also sounds amazing. Man, I wish I had you guys in my kitchen! :)

I have a fairly new Cuisinart 14 cup processor. I spoke about it briefly here: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/04/27/kitchen-sink-nut-butter-cuisinart-food-processor-review/

24 Brittany June 12, 2012

Excellent, thank you!!

25 Danielle June 12, 2012

This looks FANTASTIC!

26 janet @ the taste space June 12, 2012

Looks great, Ange. I usually stick the same components into a chard leaf as a green taco, but salad works, too! Yum! :)

27 Kasandra June 12, 2012

yum! Reminds me of the Taco Salad at Rawlicious. Thanks for sharing your spin on Raw Taco Salad! Especially like the idea of Macadamia nut cream – Sometimes I feel cashews get overused in raw foods, which scares me a bit when it seems some are quite sensitive to them. I’ll have to try!

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

I will have to order that next time I find myself at Rawlicious…looove that restaurant.

29 Kasandra June 12, 2012

Me too.. So much that I work there ;) if you pop into the Yorkville location please say hi!!

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

oh lucky you!! I have yet to check out the new location, but I’ve been dying to. Hopefully I will get there soon. What are your fav menu items?

31 Kasandra June 12, 2012

Actually, the taco salad! … And the taco wrap.. And the pad thai. Clearly, I eat about as much as I make there ;) have you tried the macaroons? Another fav!

The summer menu just came out this past week-the summer fruit tart is mind-blowing!!!

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

haha ok now you are making me want to go there tonight! I think I will have to bring a group of friends so we can all share :)

33 janet @ the taste space June 12, 2012

Oooh.. a new summer menu sounds great! I adore Rawlicious’ choco banana cheesecake! The Rawitch is also fantastic!

34 Heather (Heather's Dish) June 12, 2012

no way i could miss the meat with this bad boy! yum!

35 Cookie and Kate June 12, 2012

I want this for lunch! Are those raw cacao chips in the first photo? Matthew Kenney OKC makes some that look just like that.

36 Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing June 12, 2012

Holy moly, those both look delicious!

37 Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures June 12, 2012

I have to try your walnut taco meat, I love walnuts and Mexican flavored anything.

38 Amanda June 12, 2012

I love all of the different textures and flavors you have going on in this salad, and I like that you used walnut taco meat instead of the frequently used soy crumbles. I can’t wait to make this!

39 K June 12, 2012

Perfect timing! Was looking for new salads to try!
Also, the strawberry sauce looks delish!

I have a request… I’d love to see some ideas for a summer BBQ. Side dishes preferably. I am going to try making your veggie burgers, but want something that will go nicely with them.
Thanks!

40 Amelia June 12, 2012

Ooooh I like this idea. Some grilled options would be cool (to use on the new George Foreman… hahahaha.))

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

This is one of my favourite BBQ salads: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/09/02/long-weekend-grilled-salad/ I hope to make more BBQ stuff too. You might want to also check out my recipage for other summer recipes.

42 Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) June 12, 2012

This is making me hungry! Good thing lunch is in 20min. I LOVE taco salad and tacos wrapped in lettuce so I can’t wait to try this.

43 Noelle (@singerinkitchen) June 12, 2012

That salad looks great. I promise I’ve been eating salads even if I have not managed to tweet or INstagram about them. I wonder if I have time to make this salad….baby is FINALLY down for a nap!

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

haha I forget to tweet them too. Often, I’ve consumed half of it before I remember to take a pic.

45 Julie @twosaucysisters.wordpress.com June 12, 2012

This looks so yummy! Taco salad was always a favourite when I was a kid, and strawberries and cream… mmmmm :) Definitely gonna give these a go! :)

46 Lauren June 12, 2012

Yummy! I actually made your endurance crackers recently, so I still have some left for this!

47 Yellow Haired Girl June 12, 2012

Walnut taco meat?! Cool! This recipe looks fantastic :)

48 Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen June 12, 2012

Sending this link to my vegan sis, pronto. She’s going to be all over this one. Looks amazing!

49 Amelia June 12, 2012

I have been on a taco-salad binge lately… except mine always has refried beans (vegetarian of course), fresh avocado because I’ve been a little lazy when it comes to guac, and a vegan mexi-ranch salsa type dressing I was inspired after waitressing at Applebee’s in my teenage years (hits the spot.) I really need to try making that sunflower or walnut taco meat though!

Also, when I’m not lazy and don’t mind heating up the house, making your own taco shells for salads is super easy and not to mention delicious! http://www.food.com/recipe/how-to-make-baked-taco-salad-shell-bowls-54417

50 Angela June 12, 2012

This looks so good! Taco salads are one of my all time favorite meals! Anything I can put gaucamole on is good is my book! I will have to try this!

51 char eats greens June 12, 2012

Yay for recreating the taco salad already! I really need to get a handle on my nuts, seeds, and grains collection. When you open the cupboard where all that stuff is, it looks like a scene out of Jumanji (oh yes, I used that as a reference!). So really, I have no idea what I even have for use in recipes. I think there’s walnuts! haha. I think it’s a sign I need to do something about that mess ;)

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

you should see my cupboards…I think I’d give you a run for your money! hah. I have the deepest corner cupboards known to man…that’s where I lay the blame. ;)

53 Averie @ Averie Cooks June 12, 2012

That strawberry nut cream….yum!

As for the taco salad, one of the first recipes I ever made for my blog 3+ years ago was raw taco meat/raw taco salad. I love the stuff and hate to even link back to it b/c the pics are bad (I should re-photograph it) but I just adore the flavors and yours looks delish!

54 Anna June 12, 2012

Yay! Thank you!
After seeing that taco salad yesterday, I was hoping for a recipe-inspired post. Looks super delicious — and know I know what dinner tonight will be!

55 1 large ripe avocado 1/4 cup chopped red onion 1/2 small tomato, chopped 1/2 tsp ground cumin 1 tbsp + 1 tsp fresh lime juice scant 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste June 12, 2012

Oh my – walnut tacos and macademia sauce? Nut heaven!

56 Anna @ The Guiltless Life June 12, 2012

(Hm maybe delete the above comment seeing as it pasted your recipe into the name field instead of my name…can you tell I am planning on making the recipe tonight?? Haha!)

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

lol…I just see “Anna” in the above name field. What are you seeing?

58 Anna @ The Guiltless Life June 12, 2012

Ah now I only see Anna too! Before it said “1/4 cup onion, tomatoes..” and so on hahaha. Never mind, must have been a glitch! Thanks Ange!

59 Angela January 14, 2013

wait I see it now!!! lol weird

60 Tonya June 12, 2012

I had a salad very similar to this for lunch today! I’m still going strong with the salad a day challenge. :-)

61 Kelli June 12, 2012

Hi Angela, this taco salad looks great!

Just wondering if you would use the same soaking & food processing method using sunflower seeds instead of walnuts? I love walnuts, but sadly, not everyone I cook for does…

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

I would imagine you could! Soaking helps release the enzyme inhibitors for nuts and seeds.

63 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers June 12, 2012

Yum! Sounds great. I wasn’t familiar with walnut taco “meat,” but it’s definitely interesting.

64 Ann June 12, 2012

Yummers!! I love the salad challenge. And hefty salads!
**I am SO going to make some swamp water, btw. You have so many great healthy ideas!!

65 Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 12, 2012

This looks so tasty!! Love it!

66 Heathy @ Sweetly Raw June 12, 2012

Yummm, love raw taco salad! I ate at the Naked Sprout in December (did a post here http://www.sweetlyraw.com/2011/12/naked-sprout-raw-restaurant.html) . While the salad was ok, it looks like they’ve worked in it since I was there. It was lacking in the guacamole/topping department. So nice that you had a meet up! Have you gotten to do a yoga class there? My boyfriend and I did a class and loved it.

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2012

No I haven’t done yoga there yet, but I’ve been meaning to. My friend Heather loves it there! And I’ve heard great things about it.
Just checked out your pics and yes the salad does look like it has improved. I guess food is a work in progress sometimes! ;)

68 Val @ Tips on Healthy Living June 12, 2012

I have some walnuts left over from an arugula and walnut pesto so this is the perfect reason to use them. I adore this recipe! I’d maybe add some black beans as well to give it some heft.

69 Amanda June 12, 2012

i’m sorry, but you can type “nut cream” and not make a joke about it? my goodness, i couldn’t stop giggling inside.

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

bahaha, I didn’t even notice it. But that’s funny. Serves me right for writing a post at 630am!

71 Jaime June 12, 2012

My husband and I became vegan 5 months ago. We have been tracking our grocery/take out bills to see the difference in our food spending. It has increased significantly. Has anyone else noticed this? I put all the food bills on my MC so it is easy to determine at the of the month. This past month we spent $730. I am sure there were also smaller amounts that I put on our debit card too. We eat everything that we buy too. I am not sure what to do or if this is normal. My husband is shocked and worried. We shop at the local Metro sometimes but most of the time at Planet Organic and the Bulk Barn for nuts, seeds, grains.

72 deirdre June 12, 2012

Looks so delish! Perfect for a warm summer’s evening dinner…will print out! Also the banana soft serve is soooo ultimate…hadn’t thought to add strawberries! YUM!

73 Lia June 12, 2012

That looks and sounds delicious! I teach cooking skills to a couple, and they’ve been wanting more raw recipes for the summer. I’m definitely going to do this one and print out the recipe from your site. I often refer them here for inspiration. I really like that you demonstrated how to use the leftovers in a really great way!I always end up just throwing it into a smoothie, but I like this rendition better for variety. Makes me crave pancakes now.

74 jo @ includingcake June 12, 2012

This looks sooo so good! inspired my salad making big time…one for the weekend methinks!

75 Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy June 12, 2012

Um. This may be the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen. I’m so glad I didn’t read this post until now. Otherwise I would’ve been drooling in front of all the kids at school.
Have I mentioned how much you rock?!

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2012

Thanks Madison, I hope you enjoy it!

77 Karyn June 12, 2012

I literally eat a version of this salad everyday. My twist is Hot and Spicy Taco seasoning and soy meat. Just like a taco and it hasn’t gotten old yet. (in fact I have half of my dinner salad in the fridge right now;)

78 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2012

I never get tired of anything Mexican or Tex Mex…it’s just so good!

79 Shira June 12, 2012

Wow Angela, this is a gorgeous salad! Your photos are amazing too – what a creative way to ‘do’ Mexican flavors that is healthy and not heavy like tacos can be! The nut meat looks delicious! :)

80 Kevin (Closet Cooking) June 12, 2012

I am really liking the sound of this raw taco salad!

81 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2012

Thanks Kevin, I’m sure you could put some kind of fabulous spin on it…your recipes always look amazing!

82 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy June 12, 2012

I was just telling my roommate about raw walnut taco meat! Now I can show her this for her newly found raw food diet. And hopefully she’ll ave leftovers for me too

83 Robyn June 12, 2012

Wow that was speedy ,,,yum!

84 Amanda June 12, 2012

Oh my goodness this was delicious. I made it for my honey and we just loved it. You have inspired us to stop buying the fake meat crumbles and use nut meat from now on!

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2012

That’s awesome to hear Amanda, so glad you enjoyed it. :)

86 Sarah Campbell June 12, 2012

Stoked on the walnut taco ‘meat’. I usually cook up some spicey lentils as the base of my Mexican dishes but the walnuts would add such a nice texture. Going to make this on the weekend for my Fam. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

87 Sonal June 13, 2012

This post has taught me so much! I would never have thought to make taco meat out of walnuts! It looks complex but the steps are quite simple so I am definitely inspired to make this during the weekend :)

88 Alex @ Raw Recovery June 13, 2012

Oh this looks delicious! I love taco salads!!

89 Melissa June 13, 2012

This looks fantastic. I absolutely love making raw tacos, & a raw taco salad sound even better! Perfect warm weather fiesta food!

90 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers June 13, 2012

The salad looks amazing and I love how you can take your basic salad and change it up with a few tweaks. It looks super delish!

91 Katie Flores June 13, 2012

I love me some tacos! I could totally do this for dinner tonight. Thanks for the inspiration :)

92 Moni Meals June 13, 2012

Yum, both of these look so good! I agree, you’ll have the best overnight oats on the planet with that strawberry n cream! :)
Great remakes.

93 Laura June 13, 2012

I’m in awe of how versatile the nut cream is!!! I’m trying this all! You’re an inspiration to me… seriously :)

94 Jennifer p June 13, 2012

Made this last night for dinner for my bf and I. He was excited just by the look of it but after his first bite he declared “she’s outdone herself again” meaning you! Haha it was great! I used cashews too only because we had tons of them! I loved it and I seriously hate salad! Thanks so much!

95 Ellie@Fit for the Soul June 13, 2012

Great recipes Angela! As always ;)

96 Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition June 13, 2012

I’m feeling this raw dish! As I’ve mentioned- I work with Carol Alt so raw is my life : )

97 Melanie McDaniel June 13, 2012

You’ve done it again. This is amazing!! Soooo yummy. You continue to keep my tummy full and happy. My husband loves your recipes too!

98 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2012

Thank you Melanie, soooo glad you love it as much as we do. :)

99 Jane June 13, 2012

This looks so yummy! I just wanted to thank you for your amazing website! It had been so helpful in my transition from vegetarian to vegan! I have a green monster or overnight oats everyday for breakfast! I am so looking forward to your book!! Thanks for your help and inspiration!! =)

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2012

Thank you Jane, I’m so glad to hear that! :)

101 Vicki June 13, 2012

Honestly – I’m just a little bit in love with you right now! This was SO DELICIOUS! I can hardly wait for my husband to get home and try his half of it. OH! and last night, I made your Tomato Basil Pesto Pasta, (which I say with reverence). You are a miracle worker. Seriously – it’s all just so yummy! and healthy! and vegan! and NO FAKE MEAT! (That stuff gives me the heebs.) I mean, the walnuts are kind of pretend meat, but not fake meat, y’know?

THANK YOU! I’m a believer.

102 Angela@veggievinyasa June 13, 2012

Cashew cream sauce is amazing, and I’m glad to try a new nut (I bought macadamia nuts a while back for some mystery reason and I’m glad to find a useful purpose before they go bad). Sounds awesome!

103 Allison @ Decadent Philistines Save the World June 13, 2012

I often do a similar salad, but instead of any taco meat, I tend to use leftover rice and beans that I heat a bit, which wilts the greens ever so slightly. Since The Husband has this insistence that our house will implode if we don’t have some sort of chips, I have only used tortilla chips, but a heftier cracker sounds rather lovely, too! Thanks for the post – yum!

104 Christine (The Raw Project) June 14, 2012

Yum, the raw taco salads sound divine. It’s been awhile since I’ve made walnut taco “nut” meat.

105 Lexi June 14, 2012

This salad looks absolutely delicious (as does the strawberry banana soft-serve!)
And I almost want to cry, I’m so happy; I’ve been looking for a nut-cream that doesn’t use cashews (found out I’m somewhat intolerant to cashews), and your macadamia cream sounds divine! Can’t wait to try this (probably this weekend)!!

106 Monique @ Fork Off, Heart Disease! June 14, 2012

Nom! Nom! Nom! On my to-do list!

107 Willow June 14, 2012

Wow, you nailed this recipe! I love everything about it – can’t wait to try this!

Also, I have been LOVING the salad-a-day challenge. Thank you so much for initiating it!! :)

108 Lauren Deck June 14, 2012

This was amazing!! First time I used sunflowers as “meat”. (I think I am allergic to walnuts :(…) I have never really missed meat, but I loved it :) The perfect crunch to this salad. You make it so easy to be a Vegan. Every time I am thinking, what can I eat? I just spend hours on your website. I tell everyone I know about you. Most aren’t vegans, so they just look at me like I am crazy :)

109 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2012

Thank you Lauren! I really appreciate it :) So glad you enjoyed it!

110 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana June 14, 2012

Your salad looks just as good, if not better than the restaurant original :)

111 lauren @ the talking kitchen June 14, 2012

This looks amazing! I’ve been seeing a few raw tacos recipes around and now I must make them! Thanks!

112 Angie June 14, 2012

I made these for a non-vegan friend tonight. She didn’t realize the “meat” was nuts and not fake meat until I told her. I thought these were amazing. And so did my fairly meat loving friend! Yum yum yum. I made a double batch of everything, including the cream which I didn’t use even 1/4 of. So, I have a ton of cream … suggestions for use?

113 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 15, 2012

Hey Angie, Glad you enjoyed it! See the bottom of my post for ideas on how to use the cream. :)

114 Bria June 15, 2012

I made this last night and my boyfriend and I were incredibly impressed!! I was SO amazed at how spot on the flavor profiles of every component were with what is to be expected in a taco salad. We enjoyed every bit of it!! I didn’t have crackers on hand, but I did have some Garden of Eatin’ Red Hot Blues tortilla chips….I crushed them up on top of my salad and it was amazing!

Thank you for your amazing work…I am a huge fan! :)

115 isa June 15, 2012

i have been obsessed with creating this salad since i saw this post…this weekend i’ll be making it…can’t wait!!

116 Jackie June 15, 2012

My fiancee and I are not vegans but I came across your website and am in love with it. I just cannot believe it’s all vegan. I was a little skeptical at first,gave this recipe a try and OMG! We LOVED it! Taco meat with walnuts?!?! What the….now we are going to substitute our taco meat with this recipe because we actually like it better!!!! If vegan food taste this good you may just win us over so keep the recipes coming! I will be trying out more of your recipes soon.
From your new “I CAN’T BELIEVE IT’S VEGAN” fan, Jackie

117 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2012

Thank you Jackie! So glad to hear that the taco salad was enjoyed so much. I hope you enjoy many more recipes to come!

118 Jamie June 20, 2012

I made this for lunch this week, and it. is. amazing. I LOVE a good taco salad. I think the walnut “taco meat” really takes it over the top; such a great idea! I try to avoid “fake meats”, so this was a really great alternative. I wish I’d had cashews/something that would work for the cream sauce on hand because I missed the tang of having (vegan) sour cream, but I used some of Nacho Mom’s Voodoo Queso instead, which I just discovered and is AMAZING. It’s vegan, soy-free, queso dip made from nutritional yeast. (http://fatgoblin.com/) <—-Interesting website name, I know lol. The Voodoo Queso also includes black beans, but the regular is delicious as well. AND they have 10-15 calories in a serving, making the whole jar about 150-160. Just wanted to share in case you hadn't heard of it! I love finding new foods :)

119 Robyn June 20, 2012

That was a very delishes salad…love raw :)

120 Cindy June 22, 2012

The raw taco salad was beyond amazing! I was a little weary of the macadamia cream sauce but when everything is all put together it compliments everything! The endurance crackers were a great addition! I’m truley in love with this recipe, easy, fast, filling and flavorful!!

121 Hilary June 24, 2012

I made the salad earlier this week and my boyfriend and I loved it. I just made the strawberries n’ cream soft serve. I was out of nut butter so I just used the whole amount of the strawberry cream. So delicious! What a great idea.

122 Rachel July 11, 2012

I LOVE The Naked Sprout! I’ve also had this salad there – can’t wait to try your version!

123 Tisha July 21, 2012

I just made this entire meal for my family of 6, and everyone loved it – even my kids! The walnut taco filling was fantastic and had a terrific punch of flavor that we have all loved about the veggie ground we used to use. I plan to use this walnut ground for other dishes too – maybe even in a pasta sauce! Thanks as always for your incredible recipes! You are my go-to website for meal ideas for my large family and we have never been dissappointed!

124 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 22, 2012

Hey Tisha, So glad to hear you all enjoyed it!! Take care :)

125 Leah August 5, 2012

I just had this for dinner. It’s amazing! I’m definitely adding it to my dinner repertoire. Thanks for posting, I’m a big fan of your site.

126 Kristy October 1, 2012

I made this today for the first time. Delicious! Loved everything about it. I used cashews instead of the macadamia nuts. The walnut taco meat was very tasty!

127 Rebecca October 5, 2012

I LOVE this salad. My mom eats completely raw and I am always looking for new recipes I can share with her….I tested it out before I served it to her and it has become a favorite for both my husband and I. Thanks so much for your wonderful recipes!

128 Teri November 4, 2012

I’m in love! I am not a vegan–not even a vegetarian yet–but I’m really working on more healthy meals for my family. We’ve added green smoothies and more salads and fruits overall. I’m leaning towards vegetarianism, but so many recipes just were too difficult, had strange ingredients, etc. Your site is amazing!! I am excited to try your recipes. Thanks for sharing!

129 Nina December 2, 2012

Made this for my daughter. Delicious! I used cashew butter for the nut cream and added the water and lemon juice to thin it and processed in Cuisinart. It was great. I did put some olive oil and lemon juice over the lettuce because I knew my daughter would like it better with some dressing on it. I used a ice cream scoop to put two scoops of guacamole on the lettuce. It was so cute and pretty and whole thing was incredibly tasty. She was surprised by how much she liked the walnut taco meat. The soaking of walnuts made all the difference and it was only for 2 hours. Thanks again for your creativity Angela!

130 Marianne s December 14, 2012

After you finish writing your book, please develop an app. I love your recipes!

131 Karen December 21, 2012

I just made this and it is awesome! The walnut taco meat is the BEST!

132 Erin January 14, 2013

I have a question about soaking the nuts – I’ve never done it before but think I read that when you do that you have to soak with salt and then dehydrate for 12-24hrs…. is that what you did here? Or did you simply put nuts in water and let sit for a few hrs and then rinse and immediately put in the food processor? Thanks for your help – I can’t wait to try this recipe out!

133 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 14, 2013

Hi Erin, I try to soak overnight whenever possible! If Im short on time though I only soak for 30-60 minutes. Seems to always work out fine for me.

134 rachel January 14, 2013

This looks amazing! I love trying your recipes-they always turn out delicious. One question about the walnut “meat:” can you be a little more specific about how long to soak the nuts? How can you tell when they’re done?

Thanks!

135 Catherine January 14, 2013

Oh, wow – this looks incredible! I’ll definitely be giving this a try in our hot weather…

This is probably a bit cheeky, since I’ve only found your blog recently, but would you be willing to submit this (or another recipe! but I must admit, this one is calling me!) to my Substantial Salads Challenge over on my blog this month? (http://www.catescates.com.au/anyone-can-cook-vegetarian-a-salad-challenge/)

I’m trying to start a series of monthly challenges to encourage people – including myself! – to cook more vegetarian and vegan food, because as an omnivore myself, I’m trying to eat less meat, but find that when I get home from work, it’s easy to be overwhelmed and just revert to what is easiest. I’m hoping that slowly getting together an index of non-intimidating but delicious vegetarian recipes will help with that!

Catherine

136 Heidi Cullinan January 15, 2013

Made a version of this last night for our dinner–didn’t have time to soak, so I boiled the cashews for fifteen minutes and used Upton Naturals Ground Chorizo instead of the walnuts (though I’m so trying them next time). Wonderful!

137 Vegan Radhika SArohia January 16, 2013

Walnut taco filling and I live on salads
Gonna have to make this one soon, looks delicious!

138 Melissa January 17, 2013

Made the raw taco tonight! Amazing!! Using walnuts as the “meat” is GENIUS!

139 suzie January 22, 2013

Angela, I love the ingredient list of your endurance crackers. I am dipping my toe into the raw world, do you think it would be possible with your for me to dehydrate the cracker.

Thank-you for all your wonderful recipes.

140 Aimee January 23, 2013

I made this last night and my husband and I both LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it! I will be making a double batch next week for my husband to take for his lunches. Thanks so much for the recipe!

141 Christine January 31, 2013

Dee-lish. This is a keeper. This was my first time to try cashew nut cream. My non-vegan friend even liked it!

142 LJ April 10, 2013

WOW! Just WOW! My husband and I just finished this and it was Fannnntastic! I actually think I beat your three minute time. :)
It’s already starting to get too warm here in the Southeast US, and my husband the non vegan suggested that we have this several times when it’s too darn hot to cook :) Yippeee!

143 Lisa May 8, 2013

I just made this for the first time. I have to say that I had my doubts about using walnuts as a substitute for meat (I had never had it before) but it was SO good! It wasn’t really that time consuming either….it just looks hard. I love your website and your recipes. Thank you so much for sharing with us. :)

144 Lindsey May 17, 2013

Hi Angela,
Just wondering if you used raw walnuts and macadamias in your recipe or roasted? Thank you!

145 Lindsey May 17, 2013

Also, do you think pecans would work instead of walnuts?? Thank you again!!!

146 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2013

Hi Lindsey, I think I used raw, but honestly they might be even better roasted! yes I do think pecans would work, but I haven’t tried it yet myself. Let me know how it goes!

147 Lindsey May 20, 2013

Thank you so much for your reply:) I will give it a whirl. P.S. Surely you hear this often but I absolutely LOVE your site. I am a huge fan:) You are my inspiration to cook, I never really took on cooking until my mom stumbled upon your site and pointed it out to me. Thank you for all your amazing and inspiring recipes and writings. All the best to you!:)

148 Brittney C May 28, 2013

Just curious how long do you normal soak the nuts for. I’m new to the whole vegan thing and could use some help. Also does it matter how much water you use?
Thanks!

149 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2013

I usually soak for a minimum of 4 hours for cashews and overnight for almonds (since they are firmer). In a pinch, 1 hour works for cashews.

150 joanne June 14, 2013

I love this! I made this salad tonight and it tasted phenomenal. Even my carnivorous husband loved it. I’ll definitely make it again, although it took me longer than 30 minutes!
Thanks for this x

151 Nick June 18, 2013

Hey Angela! I made this recipe yesterday for my girlfriend (non-vegan) and myself, and she absolutely loved it, and I fell in love with it as well, it’s simply amazing!

I wanted to ask you, I often look up recipes on http://www.vegweb.com, would you agree for me to post your recipe there, and give you full credits (along with the link)? I feel like this recipe should be shared with the vegan community on this website as well!

152 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013

Hi Nick, So glad to hear that! Thanks for trying it out.
As for re-posting recipes, I ask that they aren’t copied and re-posted (only because they take a great deal of work to create for my blog) – but feel free to post the link if you’d like to share. Thanks and let me know if you have any other q’s.

153 Beka June 22, 2013

Made this for lunch today and OMG it was amazing. Thank you so much.

154 Danielle August 7, 2013

I just tried this salad, minus the nut cream because I didn’t have those nuts on hand, and it was so delicious. It definitely satisfied me and my craving for something Mexican. I’ve tried a handful of your recipes since discovering your site about a week ago and everything has been to die for. Thank you Angela!

155 Emily September 2, 2013

Made this tonight and it was super yummy!! I’m just wondering if you ever worked out the nutritional content for this meal?? Trying to add up how much protein we are getting. If you know that would be great!

156 Dave September 28, 2013

This recipe rocks. It tastes like it should be bad for you!

157 Danielle September 29, 2013

I just made this for dinner and it was so delicious! I was nervous about the walnut taco meat, as I’ve never used them this way before, but it turned out amazing. It was so fast too.

158 Emily January 8, 2014

Hello –

If I wanted to use raw sunflower seeds instead of walnuts would I increase the amount to 1 cup? And do I need to do any soaking for sunflower seeds? If I wasn’t trying the Whole30 challenge I’d go for the walnuts myself!

Thanks!
Emily

159 sarah January 14, 2014

wow! I just made the taco salad and my goodness it is incredible ! seriously recommend anyone making this…so so tasty. Thank you for the recipe!

160 Nina February 21, 2014

This was a HUGE hit with my 15 yr. old daughter! Didn’t have time to soak any nuts. Walnut meat and cashew cream came out gorgeous. Used sprouted walnuts from store (I didn’t sprout) and roasted cashews – both unsalted. Added garlic to the guacamole because huge garlic fans. We put in romaine hearts and made little taco boats. All the flavors came together so well – Amazing!

161 Gabe March 23, 2014

I just made this Taco Salad for my wife and me. I followed the recipe exact, and I have to admit, this is one of the best salads I have ever had. My wife and I both LOVED it!! My wife stated that she felt like we were at a high dollar raw food restaurant. Absolutely great recipe. Will definitely be including this meal in our meal rotation. Thanks.

162 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 23, 2014

Hi Gabe, Wonderful news! Thanks for sharing :)

163 Erica April 22, 2014

I just made this and it was REALLY delicious. I’m transitioning to a vegan lifestyle, and my friend introduced me to your website. It is brilliant. There are quite a number of vegan recipes out there that make me feel like I’m being punished when I eat them. All of your recipes I’ve tried have rich flavor profiles and satisfying consistencies. I think this one will be popular in my rotation!

164 Habitat for Herbivores May 7, 2014

WOW!!! I just made this for dinner and it is truly the best salad I’ve ever tasted! This is Devine! Thank you so much Angela!

165 Krysta Siemon May 7, 2014

I FREAKIN love you! That is all…as you were.

166 Jessica Fig May 31, 2014

Had this for dinner a couple nights ago… Just AWESOME! So much flavor and deliciousness… I have been making vegetarian taco salad for years using the vegetarian soy crumbles, but lately I have been trying to eat more real, plant-based foods. I loved the idea of a raw vegan taco salad and it definitely surpassed my expectations. Sadly my fiance will rarely participate in my vegan meal experiments so I made him his own meat to go on his salad. I was surprised by the cashew (did not have macadamia nuts) cream – this was my first time soaking and blending cashews. It worked very well on the salad. I even brought leftovers for lunch at work the next day and it was yummy once again! I also took you up on the idea for strawberry nut cream blended into banana soft serve. My fiance and I BOTH enjoyed that creation! Thank you once again for making eating vegan fun!

167 Deborah H July 27, 2014

I just had this for a late lunch today and it was AMAZING! The amount of spice in the walnut taco “meat” was just perfect, and the cashew cream took the whole creation to another level. Thank you so much for sharing this terrific recipe :)

168 Kathy December 21, 2014

My neighbor made this last night for dinner, they are all meat eaters and I am vegan. It was absolutely delicious and everyone including her husband and picky 8 yr old daughter loved it. We will definitely make this again and again.

169 Aarti March 28, 2015

I’ve made this salad multiple times for lunch and both my husband & i LOVE it! I make it ahead for the week in our mason jars & it works great! I skipped the cashew cream (read i got lazy) and added some green chilies and tiny bit of garlic to the guac. it turned out just perfect for us! Thanks for this & many other wonderful recipes on your blog!

170 Casey April 24, 2015

I made this recipe awhile ago now, and I have to say it is absolutely FANTASTIC!

171 Sandi July 2, 2015

Where is the recipe for “Nut Cream?”

172 rick millward August 17, 2015

Do you have a newsletter email?

173 Candace August 18, 2015

This has to be the most delicious taco salad I have ever eaten.

174 Brittney September 20, 2015

I cannot wait to make this! Already had lunch, but pretty much drooling looking at the recipe. Any ideas on the longevity of the cashew cream in the fridge once you’ve made it? Thanks!

175 Nicole November 18, 2015

This was delicious! My husband and I had it for dinner, except I used yogurt instead of the vegan sour cream and added cheese because we aren’t vegan. I love eating vegetarian meals because they make me feel wonderful and they save me money!!! I had basically everything I needed on hand. I added homemade salsa and garbanzo beans (for extra protein) and just did diced avocado instead of guacamole to save time. The walnut mixture was great and easy, and so much cheaper than ground beef! Especially if you like to buy organic/grass-fed.