Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

IMG 3276   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

As much as I love dining at Fresh restaurant, trying new-to-me vegan restaurants is one of my favourite things to do, especially if it is close by.

Enter The Naked Sprout – Burlington’s (mostly) organic, raw & cooked, vegan, and gluten-free restaurant. It’s a 15 minute drive from me, making it the closest vegan restaurant in my area. My friend Heather took me here for my birthday a few weeks ago and I was excited to try it out after listening to her (and many of you) rave about it. Heather and I met through my Glo Bars a couple years ago. She was a regular customer and visitor to my stand at the Farmer’s Market in Oakville. We stayed in touch through email and when I moved to Oakville (where she also lives) I suggested we meet up. It’s been a lovely friendship ever since.

IMG 3267   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

Here’s what intrigues me about The Naked Sprout: they offer raw and cooked vegan meals, reflecting how the owners eat in their everyday lives. I enjoy raw food quite a bit, but I also love my cooked food and was happy to see this flexibility on their menu. Oddly enough, my first two meals here were raw. I guess I can thank the summer heat for dictating what I crave!

Some raw menu items include:

• kelp noodle salad
  • zucchini pasta
  • pizza
  • rawsangna

Some cooked menu items include:

• BBQ burger
  • soba noodle bowl
  • protein power bowl
  • pesto allergro

IMG 3221   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

For an appetizer, we shared the Skinny Dip Platter made up of parsnip hemp thyme bread sticks, lemon dill pate, creamy garlic hummus, spiced olives, sun dried tomato tapenade. It was excellent and so flavourful. I need to figure out how to make those raw bread sticks stat.

IMG 3222   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

For my main, I ordered the Big Green Earth Salad.

IMG 3223   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

Inside this huge bowl: Mixed greens, massaged kale, lemon dill pate, red kidney beans, carrots,
tomatoes, shredded beets, avocado, tempeh.
I got it without tempeh because I’m not a fan. The salad was great…filling and delicious!

IMG 3224   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

The restaurant is quite spacious and they take reservations (bonus!), so I figured it would be a fun spot for a get together. I emailed the running group (the one I started to organize prior to my knee injury) to see if anyone wanted to join me and about 10 of us made it out. I was excited….and scared all at the same time! I always get extremely anxious before these types of things, but as always, I had a great time and everyone was super friendly. When will my anxiety ever learn?

20120609 145805   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

A group shot:  Natalie, Julie, Jennifer, Char, Ange, Vanessa, Rachel, Daniela, and Chelsea.

IMG 3265   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

I started with the Green Scene juice made up of Cucumber, cilantro, kale, celery, romaine, lemon.

It looked green and it tasted green…just the way I like it!

IMG 3266   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

For my entree, I ordered the taco salad. The base is a bed of mixed greens, with a huge scoop of guacamole in the middle, salsa fresco, sprinkled with sunflower taco meat all topped off with cashew sour cream. It comes with a salad dressing, but I didn’t find it necessary. It was flavourful and quite dense without being heavy.

IMG 3271   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

Keep your eyes peeled for a Naked Sprout inspired taco salad recipe coming up!

IMG 3272   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

A couple ladies enjoyed the raw tacos (heard they are great!)

IMG 3268   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

and the Protein Power Bowl was a hit too.

IMG 3269   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

For dessert, Vegan Cupcakes via Kind restaurant in Burlington were quite popular at our table!

IMG 3273   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

This chocolate peppermint tastes just like Grasshopper pie. Yum.

and I heard the Chocolate Coconut was amazing too.

IMG 3274   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

Thanks again to everyone for coming out!

The rest of the weekend was spent working on a to-do list: mountains of laundry, recipe testing, cleaning, and eating watermelon.

IMG 0577   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

Lots and lots of watermelon.

IMG 0615   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

I also went on a couple runs and enjoyed some evening walks with the hubby.

IMG 0610   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

The weather was amazing on Sunday…sunny and 30C! Pinch me.

IMG 0586   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

If you are in the area and would like to be put on the email list for future meet ups, let me know below. I’m also starting a running group that will meet on Sunday mornings in different places around the city. The first one kicks off next Sunday, so if you are up for it, let me know in the comments and I’ll add ya!

IMG 0594   Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

Eric and I also want to get into sailing. How does one go about sailing without a boat? If any of you might know how to get started sailing in Oakville or if you know anyone who is looking for help, we’d appreciate the tips.

Have a great start to your week!

Earthy Nicole June 11, 2012

Well, I have no idea about the sailing, sorry! :( Where I live you can rent canoes and kayaks though to go down the rivers… I need to do that sometime!
Anyways, all the food at The Naked Sprout looks amazing! I love finding great restaurants because as much as I love to cook, it’s so nice to just let someone else do the work sometimes! I want the Skinny Dip platter… for some reason the name cracks me up, but I really want that lemon dill pate! Also, I get bad anxiety and I always feel the same afterwards… what was I so nervous about!? It’s awful but I’m glad to see you overcame it, looks like you had a great weekend! xx

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

That’s a great point about renting canoes or kayaks…we’ve been meaning to do that! I assume we can rent them here too. :)

janet @ the taste space June 11, 2012

I love the Naked Sprout! Even if you dont like tempeh, you may want to see if you are converted by their delicious Tempeh Reuben! I want to go back for their Sunday brunch which looks spectacular. Let me know if you make a Sunday play-date. :)

As well, I have done raw tacos before and this is a great recipe if you need inspiration:

Alana June 11, 2012

I’m would love to be part of the meet ups and running groups! My boyfriend is also a big sailing nut and we’re in the area too. Drop us a line and we can connect! Can’t wait to try the Nake Sprout too – I’ve heard great things about it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

Awesome, will do & chat with you soon!

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition June 11, 2012

Reminds of of One Lucky Duck here in NYC! I love eating Raw (although I could never do it 100%.) I work with Carol Alt who is a big advocate of Raw Food (she’s written lots of books on this) and she always shares fabulous recipes with me and had gotten me to about 70 % raw diet

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 11, 2012

Lovely meet-up as always Ange! :) I can attest – the Big Green Earth Salad was divine. For any tempeh fans, I’m sure it will not disappoint! It was so great to meet the other ladies and I think we definitely need another one soon because I need to try that zucchini wrap! Your watermelon, by the way, looks so amazing! And ps.. is that the pink Practice Freely tank that I spot in the watermelon shot? Or the No Limits? ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

I think it’s the same one as you have? I’m not sure of the name…got it for my bday :)

Jenna@redheadrunningwild June 11, 2012

All of this food looks AMAZING! I am so jealous we don’t have any restaurants like this where I live! I will definitely be looking for that taco salad recipe, sounds yummy!!!!

Noelle (@singerinkitchen) June 11, 2012

That looks like a great place to eat! I miss out meet-up from Toronto, 2 years ago! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

I know that was so much fun!! We have to do it again :) I cna’t believe it was 2 years ago now. Any plans to come this way this summer?

Noelle (@singerinkitchen) June 11, 2012

I wish! My hubby is on the middle of interviews for college positions so we could be anywhere by the end of July or in August. eek!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

Please send him my best wishes! Im sure it will all work out for you.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh June 11, 2012

That looks like a great restauarant and can’t wait for the taco salad recipe!

We’re renting a place in MI and some offered a boat with rentals. I would be so afraid I’d crash it. I hear they have classes and such for those wanting to learn. Might not be a bad thing even if it’s only for info purposes!

Laura (Five Focus) June 11, 2012

LOVE LOVE LOVE Naked Sprout! Twisted Tacos and the Zucchini Pasta are my fav!

Would love to be in the meet up group…i don’t think I’m a strong enough runner yet to join a running group tho :(

For sailing my boyfriend is really into it and has a small 2 man boat that he takes out. He is always looking to take people out and introduce them to the sport. He’s also a member at the Sailing Club and LOVES it! If you are really interested you can become members at many of the learn to sail programs.

p.s- I have one of Carol Alt’s books for Raw Foods— LOVE it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

Hey Laura, Thank you for all the great info! I will drop you a line soon!

Twisted Tacos are def. on my next to try list :)

Megan June 11, 2012

Wow, The Naked Sprout sounds really great. The protein bowl looks so yummy, everything in it seems like it would go together perfectly…but the cupcakes looks mouthwatering! I think I may venture out there. I like how you did a restaurant review, I actually did my first one last night on a place called The Organic Oven!

Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures June 11, 2012

I can’t wait until you figure out the raw breadstick recipe too! They look delicious and nutritious my favorite.

Karen June 11, 2012

I’d love to do a meet up! Please add me to the list.. I have been dying to try the Naked Sprout.. had a sample at the Niagara Veg Fest a few weeks ago. Love KIND FOOD! The Red Velvet cupcake is made with beets and is delish.

Hubby and I walked along the lake on Sunday night and just sat and chatted for hours.. gotta love living by the lake!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

Adding you now :) Thanks Karen.
Ah I wondered what the red velvet was made with..that’s such a great idea to use beets!

Amelia June 11, 2012

While I love living in Charleston, SC, I am quite jealous of all of the great restaurants that surround you!! I live in the ‘biscuit, bacon fat, cheese, bbq’ capital and it is so hard to eat out. Anymore, Kevin & I stay in and cook from all of the fresh produce from our garden/farmers market/ csa.

Your taco salad looks DIVINE! I look forward to the recipe!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

I can imagine that would be difficult. That’s great that you have a garden, market, and csa to use though…I’m sure you come up with some great meals (for much less money!)

Shawna June 11, 2012

Im a big fan of the Naked Sprout…have been going since they opened. I haven’t been in a while and really need to get there and try their brunch menu which looks amazing. Would love to be added to added to your list for future meet-ups/running groups. I live in Milton but work in Oakville so can probably make it out from time to time.

Kat June 11, 2012

I’m a huge fan of Naked Sprout….and I live in the area. I would love to be added to your list for future meet-ups/running groups. Is anyone in the running group training for any races coming up?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Yes, I think there are :) I will add you!

Dara June 11, 2012

I have a friend who built his sail boat when he first got into sailing. He recently sold the boat but when he had it he put many hours into sailing it. The boat was 29ft and made entirely of wood. I know Eric enjoys building so maybe you two can build a boat together.
My friend built his in a tiny apartment garage with his triplets while working as an RN so I KNOW you and Eric can do this at your place. If you are interested I am sure he would not mind giving you the details.

Here is a picture: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=229860446574&set=a.214070906574.134398.503746574&type=3&theater

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Wow, that is quite the undertaking indeed!!
That link didn’t work for me unfortunately. I imagine it’s spectacular though.

Dara June 12, 2012

Can I email you the picture?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

sure! send to angela [at] ohsheglows [dot] com

Laura @ My Pink Thumb June 11, 2012

Ohh how I wish I lived on that side of the city!! (I’m in Clarington – at the far east end of the gta) The Naked Sprout looks fantastic!

Heather June 11, 2012

Ahh – thanks for the shout out! Looks like you guys had a great time – sorry to have missed it but Tyler kept me busy :)

They offer sailing lessons for adults in Bronte right in the pier area. My sister actually did evening lessons a few summers ago and loved it. Keep me on the list and hopefully next time I can make the meet up :)

Here’s the link to the school: http://bhyc.on.ca/learn-to-sail/courses/adult/

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

Thanks Heather! I will check it out. :) Hope to see you this week!

Heather June 11, 2012

I sent you an email about that :)

Minerva June 11, 2012

That minty green cupcake looks amazing!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 11, 2012

How fun!! It sounds like an amazing restaurant! The presentation on the raw tacos is incredible! and those cupcakes look delicious! thanks for sharing!

Anna June 11, 2012

Those raw tacos look just amazing! Looks like a super fun place to hang out and eat!
Thanks for sharing! Everything looks delicious — and has inspired me to make some cupcakes later this week!

Erin @ The Grass Skirt June 11, 2012

Hmmm…when my friend wants to go sailing, she starts to date a guy who owns a sailboat. I wouldn’t recommend that option to you though. Haha. All of this food looks delicious. You are so lucky to have a restaurant like this so close to home!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

hah, well maybe we will have to make some friends by the marina! ;)

Diana@run4life June 11, 2012

That restaurant looks amazing! I just wanted to let you know that your “perfect veggie burger recipe” has been on my must make list for a long time and I finally made it last night. My roommate literally high-fived me after trying one. I’d say that’s another Oh She Glows recipe winner. Can’t wait to enjoy one on top of a salad for lunch (still going strong with the June salad challenge!) Keep the great ideas coming!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

haha love the high five :) So glad you both enjoyed it! Thanks Diana :) It’s GREAT on top of a salad!

Beks June 11, 2012

I wish there were more restaurants like that in my area. I live on the Iowa/Nebraska border, and these people LOVE their steaks. I’m not vegan or vegetarian, but I love having different options, especially when they look as amazing as the foods you’re showing.

Erica June 11, 2012

Well, I’ve officially drooled all over my keyboard now!

Nikki @ Fresh Young Coconut June 11, 2012

I love trying out new veggie places, too. Especially those that serve big bowls of healthy veg. Everything here looks awesome!

Julie Boyer June 11, 2012

It was great to meet so many amazing women and to reconnect with you Ange! I would love meet-up again, although I’m not ready for the running meet-up. I’m always open for a walking group though. Or a picnic and a walk …. so many fun ideas for the summer!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Definitely :)

katie@ KatieDid June 11, 2012

Looks like there’s lots of fun to be had in your new city, with lots of like minded friends around. Awesome, creative meals there too!

Rachel B June 11, 2012

that meal looks amazing!! i love taco salad.. i usually use black beans but sunflower taco meat sounds incredible!! i’ve tried making taco meat with tvp but i wasnt a big fan. cant wait for your recipe!! :)

ps i was just telling someone it doesnt feel like summertime unless there is watermelon involved.. i can HOUSE watermelon haha

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

I agree, there’s nothing better than coming in from the heat outside and cracking open a juicy watermelon. I think I may have some more now…

Laura June 11, 2012

I just moved to burlington and have been wanting to scout out some yummy vegetarian/vegan places (dbf often has very different views on places that look good). I know where I’m going on Saturday for lunch!

Sonal June 11, 2012

Oh gosh i need to get to a vegan restaurant asap! The pictures look sooo good! There are none in the area but when I go travelling i’ll definitely look some up! :) I love what your doing with the group jogs, wish i could join you guys!

Lauren June 11, 2012

The look of all the food you posted. Your recent trip to Scottsdale at Dr. Weil’s restaurant had me really wanting to go there (as I am in Tucson). It’s really interesting to see the unique dishes people can come up with! Especially raw ones!

Lynn West June 11, 2012

I look forward to your adventures, and your photographs. Eating Vegan is a Beautiful thing. It’s nice new places are opening up for us. I eat most meals at home, so I know what a treat it is to dine out AND have amazing choices. We are Blessed!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

yes, truly. I couldn’t agree more Lynn

Alysha @Shesontherun June 11, 2012

That skinny dip platter looks amazing! I almost thought it was ice cream at first glance :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks June 11, 2012

What a great looking menu and even better, what an awesome meetup. So many of you awesome ladies in one place and there is nothing better than connecting with others who share the same passion for blogging and food and being able to chat in person about it all and life. I love meetups like those!

Kitchen worktops guy June 11, 2012

Awesome menu, awesome meetup – what more could you want?

K June 11, 2012

I’d love to be in the next meet up!
Also, when in Toronto, you should try live food bar and rawlicious! You should do a downtown meet up :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

I just added you, thanks!

veganlisa June 11, 2012

Definitely add me to the list – it has been far too long since our last meet-up.

xoxo

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Definitely I would LOVE to see you!

Gillian June 13, 2012

Add me too please ;)

kaila@ healthy helper blog! June 11, 2012

That restaurant looks fantastic! My dad has a baseball tournament up that way near the end of the Summer so I will have to check it out!!

Sheena June 11, 2012

That place looks great, can’t wait to try it next time I am in the Burlington area!
By the way, there is a great raw restaurant in Port Credit called ‘Raw Aura’. Sounds similar to the Naked Sprout and worth checking out. They have a avocado tartar dish that is amazing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

I’ve been to raw Aura and it was great! Have you had their cashew kale chips? omgggg.

Page 1 of 3123»