Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

IMG_3276

As much as I love dining at Fresh restaurant, trying new-to-me vegan restaurants is one of my favourite things to do, especially if it is close by.

Enter The Naked Sprout – Burlington’s (mostly) organic, raw & cooked, vegan, and gluten-free restaurant. It’s a 15 minute drive from me, making it the closest vegan restaurant in my area. My friend Heather took me here for my birthday a few weeks ago and I was excited to try it out after listening to her (and many of you) rave about it. Heather and I met through my Glo Bars a couple years ago. She was a regular customer and visitor to my stand at the Farmer’s Market in Oakville. We stayed in touch through email and when I moved to Oakville (where she also lives) I suggested we meet up. It’s been a lovely friendship ever since.

IMG_3267

Here’s what intrigues me about The Naked Sprout: they offer raw and cooked vegan meals, reflecting how the owners eat in their everyday lives. I enjoy raw food quite a bit, but I also love my cooked food and was happy to see this flexibility on their menu. Oddly enough, my first two meals here were raw. I guess I can thank the summer heat for dictating what I crave!

Some raw menu items include:

• kelp noodle salad
  • zucchini pasta
  • pizza
  • rawsangna

Some cooked menu items include:

• BBQ burger
  • soba noodle bowl
  • protein power bowl
  • pesto allergro

IMG_3221

For an appetizer, we shared the Skinny Dip Platter made up of parsnip hemp thyme bread sticks, lemon dill pate, creamy garlic hummus, spiced olives, sun dried tomato tapenade. It was excellent and so flavourful. I need to figure out how to make those raw bread sticks stat.

IMG_3222

For my main, I ordered the Big Green Earth Salad.

IMG_3223

Inside this huge bowl: Mixed greens, massaged kale, lemon dill pate, red kidney beans, carrots,
tomatoes, shredded beets, avocado, tempeh.
I got it without tempeh because I’m not a fan. The salad was great…filling and delicious!

IMG_3224

The restaurant is quite spacious and they take reservations (bonus!), so I figured it would be a fun spot for a get together. I emailed the running group (the one I started to organize prior to my knee injury) to see if anyone wanted to join me and about 10 of us made it out. I was excited….and scared all at the same time! I always get extremely anxious before these types of things, but as always, I had a great time and everyone was super friendly. When will my anxiety ever learn?

20120609_145805

A group shot:  Natalie, Julie, Jennifer, Char, Ange, Vanessa, Rachel, Daniela, and Chelsea.

IMG_3265

I started with the Green Scene juice made up of Cucumber, cilantro, kale, celery, romaine, lemon.

It looked green and it tasted green…just the way I like it!

IMG_3266

For my entree, I ordered the taco salad. The base is a bed of mixed greens, with a huge scoop of guacamole in the middle, salsa fresco, sprinkled with sunflower taco meat all topped off with cashew sour cream. It comes with a salad dressing, but I didn’t find it necessary. It was flavourful and quite dense without being heavy.

IMG_3271

Keep your eyes peeled for a Naked Sprout inspired taco salad recipe coming up!

IMG_3272

A couple ladies enjoyed the raw tacos (heard they are great!)

IMG_3268

and the Protein Power Bowl was a hit too.

IMG_3269

For dessert, Vegan Cupcakes via Kind restaurant in Burlington were quite popular at our table!

IMG_3273

This chocolate peppermint tastes just like Grasshopper pie. Yum.

and I heard the Chocolate Coconut was amazing too.

IMG_3274

Thanks again to everyone for coming out!

The rest of the weekend was spent working on a to-do list: mountains of laundry, recipe testing, cleaning, and eating watermelon.

IMG_0577

Lots and lots of watermelon.

IMG_0615

I also went on a couple runs and enjoyed some evening walks with the hubby.

IMG_0610

The weather was amazing on Sunday…sunny and 30C! Pinch me.

IMG_0586

If you are in the area and would like to be put on the email list for future meet ups, let me know below. I’m also starting a running group that will meet on Sunday mornings in different places around the city. The first one kicks off next Sunday, so if you are up for it, let me know in the comments and I’ll add ya!

IMG_0594

Eric and I also want to get into sailing. How does one go about sailing without a boat? If any of you might know how to get started sailing in Oakville or if you know anyone who is looking for help, we’d appreciate the tips.

Have a great start to your week!

1 Earthy Nicole June 11, 2012

Well, I have no idea about the sailing, sorry! :( Where I live you can rent canoes and kayaks though to go down the rivers… I need to do that sometime!
Anyways, all the food at The Naked Sprout looks amazing! I love finding great restaurants because as much as I love to cook, it’s so nice to just let someone else do the work sometimes! I want the Skinny Dip platter… for some reason the name cracks me up, but I really want that lemon dill pate! Also, I get bad anxiety and I always feel the same afterwards… what was I so nervous about!? It’s awful but I’m glad to see you overcame it, looks like you had a great weekend! xx

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

That’s a great point about renting canoes or kayaks…we’ve been meaning to do that! I assume we can rent them here too. :)

3 janet @ the taste space June 11, 2012

I love the Naked Sprout! Even if you dont like tempeh, you may want to see if you are converted by their delicious Tempeh Reuben! I want to go back for their Sunday brunch which looks spectacular. Let me know if you make a Sunday play-date. :)

As well, I have done raw tacos before and this is a great recipe if you need inspiration:

4 Alana June 11, 2012

I’m would love to be part of the meet ups and running groups! My boyfriend is also a big sailing nut and we’re in the area too. Drop us a line and we can connect! Can’t wait to try the Nake Sprout too – I’ve heard great things about it.

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

Awesome, will do & chat with you soon!

6 Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition June 11, 2012

Reminds of of One Lucky Duck here in NYC! I love eating Raw (although I could never do it 100%.) I work with Carol Alt who is a big advocate of Raw Food (she’s written lots of books on this) and she always shares fabulous recipes with me and had gotten me to about 70 % raw diet

7 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 11, 2012

Lovely meet-up as always Ange! :) I can attest – the Big Green Earth Salad was divine. For any tempeh fans, I’m sure it will not disappoint! It was so great to meet the other ladies and I think we definitely need another one soon because I need to try that zucchini wrap! Your watermelon, by the way, looks so amazing! And ps.. is that the pink Practice Freely tank that I spot in the watermelon shot? Or the No Limits? ;)

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

I think it’s the same one as you have? I’m not sure of the name…got it for my bday :)

9 Jenna@redheadrunningwild June 11, 2012

All of this food looks AMAZING! I am so jealous we don’t have any restaurants like this where I live! I will definitely be looking for that taco salad recipe, sounds yummy!!!!

10 Noelle (@singerinkitchen) June 11, 2012

That looks like a great place to eat! I miss out meet-up from Toronto, 2 years ago! :)

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

I know that was so much fun!! We have to do it again :) I cna’t believe it was 2 years ago now. Any plans to come this way this summer?

12 Noelle (@singerinkitchen) June 11, 2012

I wish! My hubby is on the middle of interviews for college positions so we could be anywhere by the end of July or in August. eek!

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

Please send him my best wishes! Im sure it will all work out for you.

14 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh June 11, 2012

That looks like a great restauarant and can’t wait for the taco salad recipe!

We’re renting a place in MI and some offered a boat with rentals. I would be so afraid I’d crash it. I hear they have classes and such for those wanting to learn. Might not be a bad thing even if it’s only for info purposes!

15 Laura (Five Focus) June 11, 2012

LOVE LOVE LOVE Naked Sprout! Twisted Tacos and the Zucchini Pasta are my fav!

Would love to be in the meet up group…i don’t think I’m a strong enough runner yet to join a running group tho :(

For sailing my boyfriend is really into it and has a small 2 man boat that he takes out. He is always looking to take people out and introduce them to the sport. He’s also a member at the Sailing Club and LOVES it! If you are really interested you can become members at many of the learn to sail programs.

p.s- I have one of Carol Alt’s books for Raw Foods— LOVE it!

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

Hey Laura, Thank you for all the great info! I will drop you a line soon!

Twisted Tacos are def. on my next to try list :)

17 Megan June 11, 2012

Wow, The Naked Sprout sounds really great. The protein bowl looks so yummy, everything in it seems like it would go together perfectly…but the cupcakes looks mouthwatering! I think I may venture out there. I like how you did a restaurant review, I actually did my first one last night on a place called The Organic Oven!

18 Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures June 11, 2012

I can’t wait until you figure out the raw breadstick recipe too! They look delicious and nutritious my favorite.

19 Karen June 11, 2012

I’d love to do a meet up! Please add me to the list.. I have been dying to try the Naked Sprout.. had a sample at the Niagara Veg Fest a few weeks ago. Love KIND FOOD! The Red Velvet cupcake is made with beets and is delish.

Hubby and I walked along the lake on Sunday night and just sat and chatted for hours.. gotta love living by the lake!

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

Adding you now :) Thanks Karen.
Ah I wondered what the red velvet was made with..that’s such a great idea to use beets!

21 Amelia June 11, 2012

While I love living in Charleston, SC, I am quite jealous of all of the great restaurants that surround you!! I live in the ‘biscuit, bacon fat, cheese, bbq’ capital and it is so hard to eat out. Anymore, Kevin & I stay in and cook from all of the fresh produce from our garden/farmers market/ csa.

Your taco salad looks DIVINE! I look forward to the recipe!! :)

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

I can imagine that would be difficult. That’s great that you have a garden, market, and csa to use though…I’m sure you come up with some great meals (for much less money!)

23 Shawna June 11, 2012

Im a big fan of the Naked Sprout…have been going since they opened. I haven’t been in a while and really need to get there and try their brunch menu which looks amazing. Would love to be added to added to your list for future meet-ups/running groups. I live in Milton but work in Oakville so can probably make it out from time to time.

24 Kat June 11, 2012

I’m a huge fan of Naked Sprout….and I live in the area. I would love to be added to your list for future meet-ups/running groups. Is anyone in the running group training for any races coming up?

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Yes, I think there are :) I will add you!

26 Dara June 11, 2012

I have a friend who built his sail boat when he first got into sailing. He recently sold the boat but when he had it he put many hours into sailing it. The boat was 29ft and made entirely of wood. I know Eric enjoys building so maybe you two can build a boat together.
My friend built his in a tiny apartment garage with his triplets while working as an RN so I KNOW you and Eric can do this at your place. If you are interested I am sure he would not mind giving you the details.

Here is a picture: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=229860446574&set=a.214070906574.134398.503746574&type=3&theater

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Wow, that is quite the undertaking indeed!!
That link didn’t work for me unfortunately. I imagine it’s spectacular though.

28 Dara June 12, 2012

Can I email you the picture?

29 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

sure! send to angela [at] ohsheglows [dot] com

30 Laura @ My Pink Thumb June 11, 2012

Ohh how I wish I lived on that side of the city!! (I’m in Clarington – at the far east end of the gta) The Naked Sprout looks fantastic!

31 Heather June 11, 2012

Ahh – thanks for the shout out! Looks like you guys had a great time – sorry to have missed it but Tyler kept me busy :)

They offer sailing lessons for adults in Bronte right in the pier area. My sister actually did evening lessons a few summers ago and loved it. Keep me on the list and hopefully next time I can make the meet up :)

Here’s the link to the school: http://bhyc.on.ca/learn-to-sail/courses/adult/

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

Thanks Heather! I will check it out. :) Hope to see you this week!

33 Heather June 11, 2012

I sent you an email about that :)

34 Minerva June 11, 2012

That minty green cupcake looks amazing!

35 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 11, 2012

How fun!! It sounds like an amazing restaurant! The presentation on the raw tacos is incredible! and those cupcakes look delicious! thanks for sharing!

36 Anna June 11, 2012

Those raw tacos look just amazing! Looks like a super fun place to hang out and eat!
Thanks for sharing! Everything looks delicious — and has inspired me to make some cupcakes later this week!

37 Erin @ The Grass Skirt June 11, 2012

Hmmm…when my friend wants to go sailing, she starts to date a guy who owns a sailboat. I wouldn’t recommend that option to you though. Haha. All of this food looks delicious. You are so lucky to have a restaurant like this so close to home!

38 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

hah, well maybe we will have to make some friends by the marina! ;)

39 Diana@run4life June 11, 2012

That restaurant looks amazing! I just wanted to let you know that your “perfect veggie burger recipe” has been on my must make list for a long time and I finally made it last night. My roommate literally high-fived me after trying one. I’d say that’s another Oh She Glows recipe winner. Can’t wait to enjoy one on top of a salad for lunch (still going strong with the June salad challenge!) Keep the great ideas coming!

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

haha love the high five :) So glad you both enjoyed it! Thanks Diana :) It’s GREAT on top of a salad!

41 Beks June 11, 2012

I wish there were more restaurants like that in my area. I live on the Iowa/Nebraska border, and these people LOVE their steaks. I’m not vegan or vegetarian, but I love having different options, especially when they look as amazing as the foods you’re showing.

42 Erica June 11, 2012

Well, I’ve officially drooled all over my keyboard now!

43 Nikki @ Fresh Young Coconut June 11, 2012

I love trying out new veggie places, too. Especially those that serve big bowls of healthy veg. Everything here looks awesome!

44 Julie Boyer June 11, 2012

It was great to meet so many amazing women and to reconnect with you Ange! I would love meet-up again, although I’m not ready for the running meet-up. I’m always open for a walking group though. Or a picnic and a walk …. so many fun ideas for the summer!

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Definitely :)

46 katie@ KatieDid June 11, 2012

Looks like there’s lots of fun to be had in your new city, with lots of like minded friends around. Awesome, creative meals there too!

47 Rachel B June 11, 2012

that meal looks amazing!! i love taco salad.. i usually use black beans but sunflower taco meat sounds incredible!! i’ve tried making taco meat with tvp but i wasnt a big fan. cant wait for your recipe!! :)

ps i was just telling someone it doesnt feel like summertime unless there is watermelon involved.. i can HOUSE watermelon haha

48 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

I agree, there’s nothing better than coming in from the heat outside and cracking open a juicy watermelon. I think I may have some more now…

49 Laura June 11, 2012

I just moved to burlington and have been wanting to scout out some yummy vegetarian/vegan places (dbf often has very different views on places that look good). I know where I’m going on Saturday for lunch!

50 Sonal June 11, 2012

Oh gosh i need to get to a vegan restaurant asap! The pictures look sooo good! There are none in the area but when I go travelling i’ll definitely look some up! :) I love what your doing with the group jogs, wish i could join you guys!

51 Lauren June 11, 2012

The look of all the food you posted. Your recent trip to Scottsdale at Dr. Weil’s restaurant had me really wanting to go there (as I am in Tucson). It’s really interesting to see the unique dishes people can come up with! Especially raw ones!

52 Lynn West June 11, 2012

I look forward to your adventures, and your photographs. Eating Vegan is a Beautiful thing. It’s nice new places are opening up for us. I eat most meals at home, so I know what a treat it is to dine out AND have amazing choices. We are Blessed!!

53 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

yes, truly. I couldn’t agree more Lynn

54 Alysha @Shesontherun June 11, 2012

That skinny dip platter looks amazing! I almost thought it was ice cream at first glance :)

55 Averie @ Averie Cooks June 11, 2012

What a great looking menu and even better, what an awesome meetup. So many of you awesome ladies in one place and there is nothing better than connecting with others who share the same passion for blogging and food and being able to chat in person about it all and life. I love meetups like those!

56 Kitchen worktops guy June 11, 2012

Awesome menu, awesome meetup – what more could you want?

57 K June 11, 2012

I’d love to be in the next meet up!
Also, when in Toronto, you should try live food bar and rawlicious! You should do a downtown meet up :)

58 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

I just added you, thanks!

59 veganlisa June 11, 2012

Definitely add me to the list – it has been far too long since our last meet-up.

xoxo

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Definitely I would LOVE to see you!

61 Gillian June 13, 2012

Add me too please ;)

62 kaila@ healthy helper blog! June 11, 2012

That restaurant looks fantastic! My dad has a baseball tournament up that way near the end of the Summer so I will have to check it out!!

63 Sheena June 11, 2012

That place looks great, can’t wait to try it next time I am in the Burlington area!
By the way, there is a great raw restaurant in Port Credit called ‘Raw Aura’. Sounds similar to the Naked Sprout and worth checking out. They have a avocado tartar dish that is amazing!

64 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

I’ve been to raw Aura and it was great! Have you had their cashew kale chips? omgggg.

65 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers June 11, 2012

What fun! On a side note – any dessert that resembles grasshopper pie has gotta’ be good. ;)

66 Melanie June 11, 2012

I would love to be added to your list for a future meet up. I live in the area, and while I frequent Kind Food (ALOT), I’ve always wanted to try the Naked Sprout. Thanks for the review and pics!

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Awesome, I just added you Melanie.

68 Lindsey June 11, 2012

ooooooh….i want to go to there….The Skinny Dip Platter may just be enough to snap me out of my own watermelon-induced coma…

Glad you mentioned you’re not a tempeh person…i’m not either and now i feel better about that. Liking tempeh is not a requirement…phew

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

heh I always feel like the odd one out too

70 Sana June 11, 2012

Social anxiety is not fun, but I think good experiences like this one make it a tas easier the next time around!

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

yes I totally agree :)

Action breeds confidence!

72 Cait's Plate June 11, 2012

Yum! Looks so delicious!

73 Lia June 11, 2012

That place looks really fresh and tasty! I love checking out new vegan spots nearby. I especially like discovering new ones I never knew of. Wish I could come to one of those meetups, but I’m all the way in Chicago!

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

mmm you just reminded me of Karyn’s on Green… :) Almost worth the trip just for that food!

75 Moni Meals June 11, 2012

What a lovely meet up. Talk about some good eats!! I have always wanted to go there. I believe SC got voted as “the nicest people” live there too. ;)

76 Jaime June 11, 2012

I agree with your comment about Tempeh…or did, until I tried Tempeh “F”acon. Have you tried it? It is so delicious. We use it to make our version of a BLT with tomato, spinach, avocado, daiya, and vegenaise. They are to die for. Mix 3 tbsp low sodium soya sauce, 3 tbsp maple syrup, and 1 tsp liquid smoke. Slice the tempeh very thinly lengthwise to create “F” acon strips. Marinate for at least 5 mins, the longer the better. Then heat a frying pan on high, place tempeh strips on. Let them really smoke, flip, repeat and you’re done. You can add the excess marinade to the pan as well. It’s phenominous ;)

77 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

I haven’t tried that Jaime, but that does sound good!

78 char eats greens June 11, 2012

That was such a great meet-up. I need another one just to sample more items on the menu. I totally need to get that taco salad next time…with a few other things ;) I think I can swing the whole “2” meals now…if you know what I mean! haha

And basically, if I could set up in the spare bedroom at your place after because I never like leaving Oakville…how could you! Especially if I need to be right back there on Sunday’s for the running group! lol

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

hah 2 meals is totally necessary always ;)
You are welcome here anytime Char!

80 Erin June 11, 2012

Count me in for a meet-up! :) I’m often in the Oakville area and would love to try out some new places.

81 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Great, I just added you :)

82 Christie @ Running Through Peanut Butter June 11, 2012

I live in Mississauga (or at least I will be living back in Mississauga when I finish school in less than 2 weeks) and would love to be part of a meetup group and running group! I was just thinking about how I wish I had people to run with – I was thinking of joining the Running Room for some of their runs, but this works too!

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

thanks Christie, I just added you to the list. Hope to meet you soon!

84 Leanne June 11, 2012

Hi Angela! That restaurant looks amazing! I love the presentation of the foods – they all look so yummy. I would love to be on the email list, i just started running this year and am in love. Also I want to thank you for letting me know about the PC organics almond milk – tastes identical to Blue Diamond, and is the same price. I have been trying out many different kinds, and some of them just don’t do it for me.

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

I’m glad you love the PC almond milk…it’s my new go-to and I LOVE that it’s organic and the same price. Hard to say no!

I will add you to the list too :)

86 Erin Motz June 11, 2012

How beautiful! I’ve only been to one vegan/raw restaurant that I like… all the others try really hard and kind of flop with flavorless, bland recipes. Wish this one would come to FL! :)

87 Emily S. June 11, 2012

Wow, that looks like a fabulous restaurant!

88 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 11, 2012

Thanks again for organizing that lunch Angela – I had such a great time! Also the two meals you’ve eaten there both look amazing. I want to give that Big Green Earth salad a try next time I’m there. It’s too bad you don’t like tempeh though since they use so much of it. I noticed they don’t really use tofu – I wonder why?

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

It was such a pleasure meeting you too! I hope to see you again soon. :)

I noticed that too about tempeh….I wonder why. I should ask them next time. I wonder if it’s possible to sub in tofu for some dishes?

90 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 12, 2012

I would love it if they could do that – I prefer tofu too! I guess we’ll need to go again soon to find out. ;)

91 Anna @ The Guiltless Life June 11, 2012

I need a place like that in my life – all of that food looks and sounds so great – tasty AND nourishing. You got a great group out too!

92 Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings June 11, 2012

The naked sprout looks fabulous! Wish I had one near me :) Also I ate insane amounts of watermelon this weekend! It’s so light and refreshing but soo sweet and flavorful, my summer fav :)

93 Kaitlin June 11, 2012

I looove your site and your story is so inspiring! I struggle with some of the same things you did, but I’m getting better every day :) I was wondering if you’ve ever done/would consider doing a talk/speech of some kind. I know so many people who love your site and would love to hear your journey into veganism and your story.

94 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Yes I would love to do that at some point in the future! I actually want to do a toastmasters thing to get me comfortable with public speaking again. I hear they are great!

95 Vanessa June 11, 2012

I went there recently and LOVED it. My family made it a stop on the way back to my university after a bit of a struggle convincing my parents to try vegan food for the first time. This restaurant turned my very skeptical father into a lover of vegan food. He’s actually been experimenting with it quite a bit! I strongly recommend the Reuben, the tacos, and the key lime pie for dessert. Delicious!

96 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Dad’s can be the toughest critics! Glad it passed the test :)

97 Jacqueline June 11, 2012

I am not a runner, but I would love to do a meet up! I just relocated to Toronto from Saint John NB about 2 weeks ago and would love the opportunity to network. The first week I arrived I went straight to Fresh on Bloor, then to Freesen, and Live Organic Food Restaurants. While I was at Fresh I got my hands on a Vegetarian directory. I am a Raw/Vegan and ever since I read about it in the directory I have wanted to try the Naked Sprout. I was very excited to see the pics you posted from there – thank you!

98 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

great I will add you to the list! Hope to meet you soon :)

That must have been a big move!!!! I moved from Riverview NB to Milton ON and I found it a huge change! How are you liking it?

99 Jacqueline June 12, 2012

So far so good! Thanks for asking :) I really look forward to meeting soon! I just created a twitter account, my first tweet? Your taco salad recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

100 Gillian June 11, 2012

I went to university with Natalie – small world!!

101 Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) June 11, 2012

What a great looking resto and meetup, Ange! I’m excited to check it out- I’m moving to West Missisauga, close to the Oakville line, oh- TOMORROW so I would LOVE to be added to the list again! It’s been too long since I saw all your beautiful faces :)
xoxo

102 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Awesome, I would love to see ya soon!

103 Tara June 11, 2012

I live in Cambridge, but I pass through Burlington quite frequently on my way to Niagara to visit family and would love to meet up to try some tasty vegan food. I’d also love to meet to run but I’m just starting a learn to run clinic so maybe in the future! :)

104 Shelley June 11, 2012

Mmmm…looks delish, especially those vegan cupcakes! My hubby and I are sailors. We bought a 27 ft Catalina last year. It’s a great cruising starter boat, but we got started sailing dinghies. Look for a local sailing club through a local college or university for dinghy sailing (we live in Vancouver and took lessons with the UBC Sailing Club). It’s an incredible way to really learn how to sail a boat (though there is a chance you’ll get wet!). Also, racers are usually always looking for crew on their boat…you’ll be especially sought after if you have any White Sail or Basic Cruising CYA (Canadian Yachting Association) courses under your belt! The regattas usually end up with a dock party and drinks and boaters are a really friendly bunch! Look at bulletin boards at marinas and ask around at boat supply stores. Some yacht clubs will allow people to just hang out at the dock on race day, and they’ll just come and pick you up! My husband and I wish we crewed more often before we had kids because you learn so much…but alas, now we have our own boat (that can sleep our kids in it, which is great!). I would also highly recommend taking a Canadian Power Squadron course to get to know Aids to Navigation and other important boating safety stuff (if you take a CPS course, you will also get your Pleasure Craft Operator Card).

105 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Thank you so much Shelley for all the great info! Taking notes :) It sounds like you have found something you love. Good for you!

106 B @ Crags and Veggies June 11, 2012

Wow Angela! I love raw food when it’s done correctly and by these pictures, I’m in shock! I love the color and care in the presentation, so beautiful!

107 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

I was also blown away by the presentation too!

108 Laura June 12, 2012

I’m up for joining a running group and meeting you and new people! I know no-one in the area currently, and can’t wait to meet new ones. This weekend is a race, but hopefully next weekend I can join you!

109 Alex @ Raw Recovery June 12, 2012

Oh I wish I lived in Canada! I have no blogger friends to meet with here in Philly…or real friends yet but I’m sure that will change hopefully! That food looks utterly amazing. Oh my gosh. It makes me want a veggie burger at 9 am.

I did a sailing camp when I was little and I’m sure there are places where you can rent sail boats!

110 Annemarie June 12, 2012

Hi Angela! That’s so weird, my boyfriend and I were just at the Naked Sprout yesterday! We really liked it, but they were unfortunately sold out of key lime pie. :( I would definitely be interested in future meet ups, so please add me to the list!

111 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

I hear that key lime pie is amazing. I will add you to the list, looking forward to meeting you sometime!

112 Meg @ Sweet Twist June 12, 2012

I have been meaning to try that place. It is just 10 minutes from me too and my acupuncturist was always telling me about it. I will definitely have to check it out now. Looks good!

113 Catalina @ Cake with Love June 12, 2012

Everything looks delicious but those cupcakes are calling my name!

114 Emily June 12, 2012

That food looks absolutely delicious! You’re blog has definitely convinced me that vegan food can and is delicious! I’ve tried quite a few of your recipes, and they’ve been amazing!

I was also going to recommend a new Fitness Application for any Iphone/Ipad users on here. My brother just came out with an app called “Fitness Friend.” It’s a really simple, easy to use motivation app that connects you and your fitness friends via Facebook, letting them know what workouts you did. Check it out and review it for him! :) It’s free! http://www.creativejaguar.com/FitnessFriend

115 Adina June 12, 2012

Oh my gosh, if you grace us readers with a recipe for those raw bread sticks I will kiss your feet. They look fab! As does that taco salad – can’t wait for that post!

I love hearing about vegan restaurants in other places! If you’re ever in Williamsburg, Brooklyn come meet me at Foodswings! It’s a vegan fast food joint – meaning, okay, it’s not the healthiest of vegan restaurants. But their “metal fries” with hot sauce and fake bleu cheese are so good that eating them, for me, is on the same plane as a religious experience.

Happy travels!

116 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

haha that sounds like a can’t miss dining experience!

117 LizAshlee June 12, 2012

I have a feeling I would love this place!! Sailing always intrigues me!

118 Robyn June 12, 2012

All the food in the Naked Sprout(love the name/look) looks fantastic for restaurant food(it’s great when you can find a place that makes it look and taste as good or better then you can do at home). Our population is only 10,000 and are very limited to vegatarian, vegan even harder and raw(other than salad) is next to no choice :(
If I lived closer I would absolutely join your running group :))
And sailing sounds so nice and it’s always great to try something new! Enjoy your running and water time…Oh yeah and I too look forward to your version of a taco meal <3

119 Sarah S. June 12, 2012

Hi Angela! As a 29-year-old who also gets social anxiety, I just wanted to thank you again for being so open about it! I feel normal whenever I read that you suffer the same thing – if such a beautiful, creative person can feel that way, maybe I’m not so bad myself :)

120 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Hey Sarah, Thank you so much for your kind words! That means a lot to me. I’m sorry to hear that you struggle with it too, but there is strength in numbers. It’s such a frustrating thing to deal with (I’ve been dealing with it my entire life) so I can relate to how you feel. I also find it’s hard for others to understand. We toss the word “anxious” around so much these days, I think sometimes people do not understand how debilitating a clinical level of anxiety can be. All the best to you! Remember the hardest part is showing up… ;)

121 Elizabeth June 12, 2012

I am pretty local as well (in Hamilton). I would love to be on the email list for future events – if I can get my hubby to stay with the kids it is easy to slip away to Burlington or Oakville :)

122 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Hey Elizabeth, that sounds great. Adding you :)

123 Kaitlyn June 12, 2012

I so admire anyone who can make traditionally cooked meals raw and make them delicious! I’m not quite there yet, but I like a mix of raw and cooked so that’s okay by me.

124 Kassidy June 12, 2012

I e-mailed you a while ago about joining a running group and I’m still interested :).

125 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2012

Hey Kassidy! Did you happen to get my first email? I wonder if I missed you…if that’s the case I’m sorry! Adding you again :)

126 Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen June 12, 2012

Ok, 12 things: First off, what on Earth is “massaged kale” like seriously…never heard of it. 2nd, that taco salad looks awesome!!! What are the giant crispy thingys? And #12…where did you find watermelon that gorgeous?!? I live IN THE SOUTH and haven’t seen watermelon that beautiful around here yet! J.E.A.L.O.U.S. Now I’m on a mission to find it!

127 Kristen June 12, 2012

I’d love to be added to the meet ups. A fan of naked sprout and live close by :)

thanks!

128 The Naked Sprout June 12, 2012

Hello Angela!

We love your blog post and thank you to you and your friends for stopping in to dine at our restaurant! The pictures are fabulous and the write up is simply flattering. We love what we do and we do it for those who are open minded, open hearted and openly talking about us :)

Please email us today – We have a little something for you and hope to see you again real soon.

The Naked Sprout

129 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2012

Well, thank you for your lovely comment! That just made my day. Will email you soon. :)

130 Rachel@closertome.net June 13, 2012

I would love to be added to the list, I’m from Niagara Falls but would totally make the drive for good food! (and good company of course!)

131 Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See June 13, 2012

I’ve only been sailing a few times but absolutely love it! SO peaceful, yet beautiful :) The college I go to even has a sailing team, but I don’t quite think I have that sort of skill haha!

132 Jennifer June 13, 2012

Thanks again for organizing the meet up. I had a great time and can’t wait to try a group run with you all.

133 Willow June 14, 2012

What a perfect weekend! I’m so incredibly jealous of how close you are to these fabulous places… the nearest raw/vegan restaurant to me is 120+ minutes away, are crazy expensive, and only okay taste-wise. Also, I would love to go jogging with you! Wish I lived in Canada, haha!

134 Angie June 17, 2012

I love your blog and have found great info and inspiration during my own quest for a healthier diet & life. I actually live in Burlington, just a couple of blocks away from the Naked Sprout – my favourite restaurant, and within walking distance, the perfect combination!

I would love to be included in future meetups in the area or at the Naked Sprout – please count me in!
Angie

135 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2012

Awesome, just added you!

136 Joann@womaninreallife June 18, 2012

Great to know about a vegan restaurant in Burlington. We often pass through there on our way to visit family in Hamilton and area. Now I know where to stop!

137 lara parent June 18, 2012

Any advice on how to sprout sunflower seeds? Sunflower sprouts are my absolute favorites!
Love your blog!
:)Lara

138 eedit June 19, 2012

There are sailing clubs in different parts of the city that are like membership – doesn’t cost much and they supply the boats. worth checking :)

139 Amy Spano June 27, 2012

Hey Angela! I would love to join your meetup group! I have eaten at Raw Aura and Naked sprout numerous times and love their food :) Also kindfood in Burlington is amazing with all their delicious deserts! :D I like in Oakville, will the runs be in Oakville or Mississauga? No that it matters …..:)

140 Claudia June 27, 2012

Hi Angela. I live in Oakville as well and would love to be put on the email list for future meet ups!

141 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2012

Ok I just added you! Thanks :)

142 Jackie June 30, 2012

Husband’s family are sailors (we don’t live in Oakville, though). He suggests you contact the local yacht clubs and join a crew! Also, love your site…I’m not vegan but I love your ideas. You got me on green monsters a year ago, and that was a valuable staple I relied on while I lost 30lbs :)

143 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2012

Thanks, will do. :) We are thinking of taking some lessons too. We shall see!

144 Lindsay August 7, 2012

Hi Angela,

I’ve followed your blog for a while and in the midst of regular life-craziness I happened to miss out on your more recent posts, until the other day I was browsing around and noticed that you’ve moved to Oakville! We are in the city as well. I’m a Pilates instructor but mostly keep busy with my 3 little ones, and always love to talk healthy lifestyle. :) Anytime you are looking for someone to hang with I’m always game for a Naked Sprout or Kind Food lunch. Feel free to email! :)

145 Jen August 16, 2012

please add me to the mailing list for future meet-ups!

146 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 31, 2012

done and done!

147 jyoti December 18, 2012

My friends took me here for my birthday as well!
The cupcakes and raw taco are amazing!

148 Victoria February 24, 2013

Do you guys meet up often still? I’m from Oakville and would love to go to some of the local places etc. :)

149 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 1, 2013

We haven’t in a long time, but I will certainly add you to the email list! I’m hoping to organize something when my manuscript is done and things die down on my end a bit. Talk to you soon!

150 chantale February 26, 2013

I just went to the Naked Sprout yesterday and it was amazing. I know I’m a bit late on this post but can you add me to your meet up list? Thanks!

Chantale Oliveira

151 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 1, 2013

Hey Chantale, For sure, I just added you to the email list! Thanks :)