Naked Sprout Meet Up & Other Weekend Fun

IMG_3276

As much as I love dining at Fresh restaurant, trying new-to-me vegan restaurants is one of my favourite things to do, especially if it is close by.

Enter The Naked Sprout – Burlington’s (mostly) organic, raw & cooked, vegan, and gluten-free restaurant. It’s a 15 minute drive from me, making it the closest vegan restaurant in my area. My friend Heather took me here for my birthday a few weeks ago and I was excited to try it out after listening to her (and many of you) rave about it. Heather and I met through my Glo Bars a couple years ago. She was a regular customer and visitor to my stand at the Farmer’s Market in Oakville. We stayed in touch through email and when I moved to Oakville (where she also lives) I suggested we meet up. It’s been a lovely friendship ever since.

IMG_3267

Here’s what intrigues me about The Naked Sprout: they offer raw and cooked vegan meals, reflecting how the owners eat in their everyday lives. I enjoy raw food quite a bit, but I also love my cooked food and was happy to see this flexibility on their menu. Oddly enough, my first two meals here were raw. I guess I can thank the summer heat for dictating what I crave!

Some raw menu items include:

• kelp noodle salad
  • zucchini pasta
  • pizza
  • rawsangna

Some cooked menu items include:

• BBQ burger
  • soba noodle bowl
  • protein power bowl
  • pesto allergro

IMG_3221

For an appetizer, we shared the Skinny Dip Platter made up of parsnip hemp thyme bread sticks, lemon dill pate, creamy garlic hummus, spiced olives, sun dried tomato tapenade. It was excellent and so flavourful. I need to figure out how to make those raw bread sticks stat.

IMG_3222

For my main, I ordered the Big Green Earth Salad.

IMG_3223

Inside this huge bowl: Mixed greens, massaged kale, lemon dill pate, red kidney beans, carrots,
tomatoes, shredded beets, avocado, tempeh.
I got it without tempeh because I’m not a fan. The salad was great…filling and delicious!

IMG_3224

The restaurant is quite spacious and they take reservations (bonus!), so I figured it would be a fun spot for a get together. I emailed the running group (the one I started to organize prior to my knee injury) to see if anyone wanted to join me and about 10 of us made it out. I was excited….and scared all at the same time! I always get extremely anxious before these types of things, but as always, I had a great time and everyone was super friendly. When will my anxiety ever learn?

20120609_145805

A group shot:  Natalie, Julie, Jennifer, Char, Ange, Vanessa, Rachel, Daniela, and Chelsea.

IMG_3265

I started with the Green Scene juice made up of Cucumber, cilantro, kale, celery, romaine, lemon.

It looked green and it tasted green…just the way I like it!

IMG_3266

For my entree, I ordered the taco salad. The base is a bed of mixed greens, with a huge scoop of guacamole in the middle, salsa fresco, sprinkled with sunflower taco meat all topped off with cashew sour cream. It comes with a salad dressing, but I didn’t find it necessary. It was flavourful and quite dense without being heavy.

IMG_3271

Keep your eyes peeled for a Naked Sprout inspired taco salad recipe coming up!

IMG_3272

A couple ladies enjoyed the raw tacos (heard they are great!)

IMG_3268

and the Protein Power Bowl was a hit too.

IMG_3269

For dessert, Vegan Cupcakes via Kind restaurant in Burlington were quite popular at our table!

IMG_3273

This chocolate peppermint tastes just like Grasshopper pie. Yum.

and I heard the Chocolate Coconut was amazing too.

IMG_3274

Thanks again to everyone for coming out!

The rest of the weekend was spent working on a to-do list: mountains of laundry, recipe testing, cleaning, and eating watermelon.

IMG_0577

Lots and lots of watermelon.

IMG_0615

I also went on a couple runs and enjoyed some evening walks with the hubby.

IMG_0610

The weather was amazing on Sunday…sunny and 30C! Pinch me.

IMG_0586

If you are in the area and would like to be put on the email list for future meet ups, let me know below. I’m also starting a running group that will meet on Sunday mornings in different places around the city. The first one kicks off next Sunday, so if you are up for it, let me know in the comments and I’ll add ya!

IMG_0594

Eric and I also want to get into sailing. How does one go about sailing without a boat? If any of you might know how to get started sailing in Oakville or if you know anyone who is looking for help, we’d appreciate the tips.

Have a great start to your week!

Page 3 of 3«123
chantale February 26, 2013

I just went to the Naked Sprout yesterday and it was amazing. I know I’m a bit late on this post but can you add me to your meet up list? Thanks!

Chantale Oliveira

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 1, 2013

Hey Chantale, For sure, I just added you to the email list! Thanks :)

Victoria February 24, 2013

Do you guys meet up often still? I’m from Oakville and would love to go to some of the local places etc. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 1, 2013

We haven’t in a long time, but I will certainly add you to the email list! I’m hoping to organize something when my manuscript is done and things die down on my end a bit. Talk to you soon!

jyoti December 18, 2012

My friends took me here for my birthday as well!
The cupcakes and raw taco are amazing!

Jen August 16, 2012

please add me to the mailing list for future meet-ups!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 31, 2012

done and done!

Lindsay August 7, 2012

Hi Angela,

I’ve followed your blog for a while and in the midst of regular life-craziness I happened to miss out on your more recent posts, until the other day I was browsing around and noticed that you’ve moved to Oakville! We are in the city as well. I’m a Pilates instructor but mostly keep busy with my 3 little ones, and always love to talk healthy lifestyle. :) Anytime you are looking for someone to hang with I’m always game for a Naked Sprout or Kind Food lunch. Feel free to email! :)

Jackie June 30, 2012

Husband’s family are sailors (we don’t live in Oakville, though). He suggests you contact the local yacht clubs and join a crew! Also, love your site…I’m not vegan but I love your ideas. You got me on green monsters a year ago, and that was a valuable staple I relied on while I lost 30lbs :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2012

Thanks, will do. :) We are thinking of taking some lessons too. We shall see!

Claudia June 27, 2012

Hi Angela. I live in Oakville as well and would love to be put on the email list for future meet ups!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2012

Ok I just added you! Thanks :)

Amy Spano June 27, 2012

Hey Angela! I would love to join your meetup group! I have eaten at Raw Aura and Naked sprout numerous times and love their food :) Also kindfood in Burlington is amazing with all their delicious deserts! :D I like in Oakville, will the runs be in Oakville or Mississauga? No that it matters …..:)

eedit June 19, 2012

There are sailing clubs in different parts of the city that are like membership – doesn’t cost much and they supply the boats. worth checking :)

lara parent June 18, 2012

Any advice on how to sprout sunflower seeds? Sunflower sprouts are my absolute favorites!
Love your blog!
:)Lara

Joann@womaninreallife June 18, 2012

Great to know about a vegan restaurant in Burlington. We often pass through there on our way to visit family in Hamilton and area. Now I know where to stop!

Angie June 17, 2012

I love your blog and have found great info and inspiration during my own quest for a healthier diet & life. I actually live in Burlington, just a couple of blocks away from the Naked Sprout – my favourite restaurant, and within walking distance, the perfect combination!

I would love to be included in future meetups in the area or at the Naked Sprout – please count me in!
Angie

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2012

Awesome, just added you!

Willow June 14, 2012

What a perfect weekend! I’m so incredibly jealous of how close you are to these fabulous places… the nearest raw/vegan restaurant to me is 120+ minutes away, are crazy expensive, and only okay taste-wise. Also, I would love to go jogging with you! Wish I lived in Canada, haha!

Jennifer June 13, 2012

Thanks again for organizing the meet up. I had a great time and can’t wait to try a group run with you all.

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See June 13, 2012

I’ve only been sailing a few times but absolutely love it! SO peaceful, yet beautiful :) The college I go to even has a sailing team, but I don’t quite think I have that sort of skill haha!

Rachel@closertome.net June 13, 2012

I would love to be added to the list, I’m from Niagara Falls but would totally make the drive for good food! (and good company of course!)

The Naked Sprout June 12, 2012

Hello Angela!

We love your blog post and thank you to you and your friends for stopping in to dine at our restaurant! The pictures are fabulous and the write up is simply flattering. We love what we do and we do it for those who are open minded, open hearted and openly talking about us :)

Please email us today – We have a little something for you and hope to see you again real soon.

The Naked Sprout

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2012

Well, thank you for your lovely comment! That just made my day. Will email you soon. :)