Spicy Potato ‘n Black Bean Burritos

IMG_0553

My potato kick is still going strong.

IMG_0542

It started innocently enough with my Chocolate Chip Cookie Pota’Dough Dip and since then I’ve fallen in love with potatoes all over again. They are so filling and comforting! I don’t know why I ever fell off the potato bandwagon. If I had a dime for everytime I forgot about a favourite food and then discovered it all over again, I’d be rich.

We love our burritos around here, so last night I made potato and black bean burritos…with a spicy kick. Potatoes are tricky; they can make an entire dish bland if we’re not careful. I made sure to amp the burrito mixture up with jalapeno, chili powder, and cumin to pack in some heat and flavour. I don’t suggest going skimpy on the toppings either. I added a spoonful of salsa, a few slices of avocado, and handful of cilantro. Without the toppings it was decent, but with the toppings it’s now a recipe I want to tell you about.

Oh and shredded kale thrown in for good measure. I’m also on a shredding kale kick and I can’t seem to stop.

IMG_0545IMG_0548IMG_0551

Spicy Potato ‘n Black Bean Burritos

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Yield: 3-4 servings

Ingredients:

• 200 grams yellow-skinned potato, not peeled and chopped into 1” pieces (about 2 small potatoes)
  • 150 grams sweet potato, peeled and chopped (about 1/2 large)
  • 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup diced red onion
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 small tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 1 cup shredded dinosaur kale, large stems removed
  • 1.5 cups cooked black beans (one 15-oz can), drained and rinsed
  • Fine grain sea salt (or Herbamare) & ground pepper, to taste
  • toppings: Avocado slices, salsa, cilantro

1. In a medium-sized pot, add the chopped potatoes and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium. Gently boil/simmer for about 12-15 minutes, or until just tender.

2. Meanwhile, preheat a large skillet with 1 tsp oil and sauté the red onion over medium heat for a few minutes. After boiling the potatoes, drain and gently mash them up a bit, leaving some chunks for texture.

3. Add potatoes to the skillet mixture and sauté for another 5-10 minutes or so, reducing heat if necessary.

4. Add in the diced jalapeno, tomato, chili powder, lime, and cumin. Season generously with salt and pepper and stir well, heating for a few minutes more.

5. Finally, stir in the kale and black beans and sauté until heated through. Adjust seasonings to taste and portion on large or x-large tortilla wraps. Top with avocado, cilantro, and salsa…or whatever you wish! Use leftovers on a salad for a fun twist.

IMG_0562

If you find yourself with any leftovers, I suggest spooning the mixture (heated, if you’re down with that) over a salad for lunch. Top it with avocado and salsa and you have yourself a filling burrito in a bowl.

For other burrito recipes see…

Black Bean and Butternut Squash burritos

and

High Protein Breakfast Burritos

Have a great weekend!

1 Helene June 8, 2012

Yum, I have to have these this weekend!

2 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh June 8, 2012

That’s it, I’m buying potatoes this grocery trip. For some reason they’ve fallen off the “to buy” list the past month and I miss them too. :)

3 Stephanie @ Legally Blinde June 8, 2012

Ooh, these sound really good! I love baking sweet potato and black bean burritos, and then freezing a bunch to have on hand for a quick, ready-made meal. Great idea to add salsa and avocado as toppings!

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2012

that is a great idea about freezing the potatoes and black beans :)

5 Sharon June 8, 2012

That looks delicious!

6 Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures June 8, 2012

I have made my own sweet potato and black bean burritos several times, but pureed them…my husband thought the texture was gross. I will have to try your method, it seems like it would make for a more chewy texture.

7 Genia June 8, 2012

I have only one word….. YUM!

8 Laura @ She Eats Well June 8, 2012

These looks so good…and they have two of my favorite things! Sweet potatoes and avocado! Yum. The perfect dinner or easy leftover-for-lunch kinda thing!

9 Lauren June 8, 2012

I used to work with a girl who swore by eating a potato every day for lunch because of how high the mineral content is. They’ve had a bad reputation since the low carb craze, but I’m glad to see you incorporating them into your meals!

10 Anna @ The Guiltless Life June 8, 2012

I LOVE burritos. This recipe has me very excited (and hungry for a burrito, even though it’s 8:30am in the morning here in Van)! I’m going to pin this right now!

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2012

I understand- I had a burrito for breakfast this morning :)

12 Stephanie June 8, 2012

Yum!! We are having smothered burritos for dinner tonight, and you just convinced me to fill them with potatoes and black beans and kale!! So, thank you! :D And FYI, my (non-veg) husband and I LOVE your recipes.

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2012

I’m so happy to hear that Stephanie, enjoy!

14 Lea@GreenSeasons June 8, 2012

Looks SO delicious. Will try it straight away! :)

15 Monsterscircusmon June 8, 2012

What a Nice mix, really nice ingrediences! Must try that, cause I just love burritos. Have a wonderfull weekend.

16 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 8, 2012

That looks so delicious! I love a good burrito!! And you’re right, that would be delicious on a salad the next day! thanks for sharing!

17 Trish June 8, 2012

That looks soooo good!!

18 j3nn June 8, 2012

That looks so delish! I’m on an avocado frenzy the past few months; they’re so fantastic.

19 Ileana June 8, 2012

This is my kind of burrito. Now can you teach me how to wrap one correctly? :)

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2012

I’m kind of a hot mess when I wrap burritos…haha. I did a quick photo tutorial here: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/24/black-bean-and-butternut-squash-burritos/

21 Sharon June 8, 2012

Hi Angela,

Any suggestions on a good food processor?

Regards,

Sharon

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2012

Hi Sharon, You can check out my food processor review here: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/04/27/kitchen-sink-nut-butter-cuisinart-food-processor-review/
in short it’s a decent machine, although needs a few improvements in my opinion. I still like it better than my old kitchenaid though.

23 Jill @ Fitness, Health and Happiness June 8, 2012

Angela I’ve been a OSG stalker for so long I decided it was time to let you know how much I enjoy your recipes. Rarely do I blog a food related post that OSG isn’t mentioned.

Thank you for sharing what is clearly a talent :)

[Fitness, Health and Happiness]

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

Thank you so much Jill! I’m off to check out your blog :)

25 Julieanne June 8, 2012

I am so excited to do so many of the recipes on your blog. My partner and I are slowly moving into the vegan world… and we are super excited because before we found your page we thought about all the food we would miss and NOW… I am feeling like this is totally doable and exciting. Thank you for writing this BLOG!

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2012

That is wonderful to hear. I remember when I discovered the same thing. I hope you enjoy the recipes Julieanne!

27 Beth June 8, 2012

My favorite burrito combination is black beans, diced sweet potatoes, spinach, and chipotle pepper in adobo, but I think I’m going to have to try this one! I never eat white potatoes but could probably eat them in this!

28 Averie @ Averie Cooks June 8, 2012

Great looking filling…the avocado slices are just gorgeous on top, too!

29 Alisha @ Pink Spatulas June 8, 2012

Oh, this looks like something I will love! Yum.

30 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 8, 2012

I can’t believe you managed to cut it like that and position the halves in the last photo so neatly!! This looks delicious! I don’t eat a whole lot of potatoes for the same reasons that you listed. White ones are a little bland for my liking but I love the sweet kind. Now when you introduce yourself to people you should say, “Hi, my name is Angela Liddon. I write the blog Oh She Glows, and I make potatoes look sexy.” ;)

31 Taylor June 8, 2012

Looks great! Simple and healthy. This will be dinner tonight :)

32 Taylor June 9, 2012

It was amazing! Adding some vegan sour cream as a topping to help cool it off (added too much cayenne and jalepeno!) ;)

33 Jessica @ GardenGastronomy June 8, 2012

These look delicious! I love sweet potatoes in burritos. I normally make a sweet potato/black bean/kale enchilada dish, but this look much less time consuming! I’m bookmarking it for the perfect weeknight dinner. Thanks!

34 Sam @ Fit for My Fork June 8, 2012

Yum, these look delicious!

35 Cammy June 8, 2012

Just started Eat to Live program- these look PERFECT for dinners next week served over salad- Excited just thinking about it Hopefully I can find dinosour kale at the farmers market tommorrow morning! Thank you so much for the recipe-you are a doll!

Cammy

36 Susanne June 8, 2012

Looks delicious.

37 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning June 8, 2012

Shredding kale- what the what?! I’m all over that!!
These look SO GOOD.

38 Katrina June 8, 2012

These look absolutely fabulous! Love this idea!

39 Wendy Irene June 8, 2012

I wish we could buy your meals in the freezer section! ;) Maybe one day… I hope you have a great weekend, Angela!

40 Stefania @ Revitalize with Stefania June 8, 2012

omg i just ate and now i want to eat again. yum

41 Ann June 8, 2012

We had sweet potato and black bean burritos with shredded kale last night for dinner! It was actually inspired by your sweet potato and black bean enchilada recipe. One of my favorites!

42 Tonya June 8, 2012

IF I HAD A DIME for every time your blog has shaped my grocery list….LOL

This is perfect. i just turned in final projects at school and I don’t have the time/creativity/space of mind to figure out a meal plan for this week. Stuff-n-go burritos with lots of leftovers it is!

43 Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy June 8, 2012

Thanks for making my stomach growl! Loudly!

44 The Purple Carrot June 8, 2012

Yes, please!

45 Heather (Heather's Dish) June 8, 2012

earlier this summer i totally jumped back on the potato bandwagon again too – my favorite way is roasting with lots of onions and serving with pesto!

46 LeeAnn June 8, 2012

Angela, what’s your method for shredding kale?

47 Maria@sinfullynutritious June 8, 2012

Your burrito looks amazing. I am currently obsessed with avocado!

48 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 8, 2012

My gosh, I’m in love with potatoes right now too! I can’t get enough of them. I love that you added them to a wrap. I’ve just been throwing a whole sweet potato in the BBQ for 45 minutes then eating it with a fork, hemp seeds and coconut oil. Nothing fancy and definitely not that pretty looking. As always, your lunch totally outdoes mine on presentation. I love the kale mixed in there, so colorful!

49 Linda Donohue June 8, 2012

I am cooking these right now! I had to take a taste….who would have thought that black beans and potatoes would become my new best friend. Without any of the toppings, wrap or anything, the guts of these taste phenomenal!! Thanks Angie for a great new recipe! I am trying the Eat to Live program as I was recently diagnosed with very bad arthritis (no wonder it was hard to work out). This program is supposed to help alleviate all kinds of various medical issues including inflamation as well as hormonal imbalance. Hope it works! I have been scouring all your recipes again (even though I already make so many of yours)….looking for further inspiration.

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 10, 2012

Hey Linda, I’m happy you enjoyed it so far! Thanks for your kind words, I’m honoured that you enjoy the blog so much.

51 cammy June 10, 2012

Hi Linda,
I just started the ETL program as well. Would love to hear how its going for you? A lot of OSG fit the program as is and some can be tweaked a bit Its been a bit challenging but the longer I keep at it the better I feel

52 Linda Donohue June 10, 2012

Hi Angela,
The ETL program is going well. As always, eating vegan/vegetarian takes a lot more planning and preparation than your typical meat laden diet. It is just so easy to throw chicken on the BBQ and put a salad together. I work really long hours and strange shifts so all the prep takes its toll. Having said that this past week I spent a bit of time on my 3 days off. I made the “anti-cancer” soup and it is fabulous. I now have enough soup to last me for a few weeks I think. I made your burritos, your veggie burgers (love), your tahini dressing and a few of your salads. Now I have enough food in the fridge for my lunches for this week. As far as how I feel, I have to say I had TERRIBLE headaches this week but I am not sure if they are related. I have Dr. Fuhrman’s book and I haven’t learned a ton more than I knew from your blogs and other blogs I follow (truthfully). I am REALLY hoping it helps my hormonal imbalance and my arthritis though. He seems very confident that his program will do both and then some! Will touch back with you in a couple of weeks! Good luck on your continued passion for great health Angela. You are a rock star, seriously

53 Brittany June 8, 2012

This looks absolutely delicious!

54 Alysha @Shesontherun June 8, 2012

Yum! I love wraps that feature black beans as a base. I tasted a coworker’s wrap at lunch the other day and it was all shredded cheese and dressing – gag!

55 Ruth June 8, 2012

Ah, this looks amazing! I feel very blessed to have your creative recipes shared with me!! YUM!

56 Moni Meals June 8, 2012

This is exactly how my burritos somehow usually end up being in my house. We think alike! I love that you used jalapeno pepper, I might make it two, i love that heat. ;)
Potatoes are what make it. ;) Great recipe!

You to also have a lovely weekend. ;)

57 Lisa @ The Raw Serenity June 8, 2012

This looks perfect for the weather today! sunny but chilly.
Potato, avocado, beans; you really cant go wrong here!
Great recipe x

58 Susan June 8, 2012

Can’t wait to make these… I love that you added shredded kale to boost the “green” superfood content! Probably the only way I can sneak kale into the diet of my partner :)

59 Katie June 9, 2012

Mmmmm, these look so good! I love the idea of using potatoes in burritos instead of rice, and the idea of using the leftovers in a burrito bowl is so tempting to me that I may skip the tortilla and go straight for the bowl!

60 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } June 9, 2012

Growing up our family was so poor we’d eat nothing but potatoes for weeks on end … Mom would buy them buy the bag since they were so cheap and filling!

61 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers June 9, 2012

I love it!! I have a new love for avocados and they are so perfect with black beans. Your burritos always look so good. What brand of whole wheat tortillas do you use?

62 Sonal June 9, 2012

I never tried black beans until i started reading this blog! And i’m a big fan of sweet potatoe and avocado so this recipe definitely is on my must try list! :)

63 Kristina June 9, 2012

Hi Angela! I’m so excited I just found your site, I love your blog! I’ve just been trying to get into vegan/vegetarian cooking so I can’t wait to try out some of your recipes! Starting with these burritos :) I’m still not a big kale fan but I’m willing to give it another try!

64 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 10, 2012

Hey Kristina, Im glad you found the blog, thanks for your kind words! I hope you enjoy the recipes.

65 carol June 9, 2012

Ooh, this looks yummy. I love potatoes in tacos and burritos!

66 Erin Motz June 9, 2012

Anything with the picture of an avocado makes me swoon lately! You potato kick = my avocado kick. Can’t. Get. Enough. I’ll probably make these then just pick all the ‘cados off. hahah, how adult! ;)

67 brianna June 9, 2012

These sound awesome, and now you’ve got me craving Mexican food, which isn’t hard to do.

68 Vanessa June 9, 2012

just made these. AMAZING.

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 10, 2012

Hey Vanessa, Im happy you love them too!

70 char eats greens June 9, 2012

Mmm…I’m still on a potato kick too (or maybe it’s a potato high haha). I definitely see some sort of burrito in my future. I might be turning to a rice kick as well…mainly because it’s been a long time since I’ve made some and it’s time to get back into it!

71 Cady June 10, 2012

Thanks for the recipe! I made this last night and it turned out great. I didn’t have any kale so I used chard instead.
Your butternut squash burrito recipe is one of my favorites -this can be a good substitute when squash is out of season.

72 DORIS @vanillacocoberry June 10, 2012

that wrap looks delicious!! this avocado on top will be the guest star in my dreams tonight hahahha

73 Dara June 10, 2012

I did a little experimenting yesterday and I would like to share this:
Adapted from VitaMix Dutch Apple Baby recipe
serves 4 or 8 (depending on how it is sliced)
Apple Filling:
2 medium to large apples ( I used Fuji and Red Delicious), cored, peeled, and sliced into thin rings
1/8 c. blueberries
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 c. sugar
1 T. coconut oil

Coat the apples in the cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl. Saute the apples over medium-high heat in a skillet in the oil until soft, add in the blueberries the last five minutes of cooking.

For the cake:
1/2 c. oat flour
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. cloves
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. sea salt
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/2 – 1 c. almond milk (you want the batter to be a bit runny)
1/2 T. yogurt
1 T. flax meal
1 T. chia seed
6 T. water

Mix the flax and chia with 6 T. water in a bowl and let sit for 5 minutes.
In the bowl used to coat the apple, mix together the oat flour, spices, and salt. Add the vanilla extract, yogurt, and almond milk. Stir to combine. Mix in the chia/flax mixture last.

Pour the apple/berry mixture into a greased pie pan (or cast iron skillet can work). Even out the filling. Pour the batter over the fruit last. Make sure the batter is evenly coating the fruit and level on all sides of the pan.

In a pre-heated oven at 450F, bake the apple baby for 20 minutes.

Serve with sliced fruit, agave or honey and a dollop of yogurt. OR sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Makes a great 450 kcal (2 slices) breakfast!

74 Ulli June 10, 2012

mmh, I love burritos!! They sound great, I’ll try them for sure!!! Thanks!!

75 Kalee June 10, 2012

I love burritos in the summer! These look so yummy!!

76 Nick June 10, 2012

I got told about this fitness site by a friend and it really is very good. Keep up the good work. Training is my life so I love to read anything that relates to the fitness world

77 Grace (Graceful Eats) June 10, 2012

I <3 black beans and any kind of burritos – but this looks especially delicious! Can't wait to try it, Angela! Thank you so much for your amazing recipes. I love, love your blog even though I'm not vegan! :)

78 Megan June 10, 2012

Hi Angela!
I love the combination of avocado and blackbeans! These looks so great, I definitely have these on my to-do list to make for dinner this week. I also like your idea of adding potato…you’re always thinking!

79 B @ Crags and Veggies June 11, 2012

Can’t wait to make these girl!

80 LizAshlee June 11, 2012

This looks so satisfying!

81 Kristin June 11, 2012

Made these tonight and had them for dinner and lunch! They were delicious!!!,,. Just started following your blog and am loving it! Trying your vegan burgers later this week !!! Can’t wait!!! Love your vibe and what you are all about!!!

82 Brooke June 13, 2012

I made these burritos last night, and they are kid tested and approved! It is huge when I can make something the whole family will eat. Thanks!!

83 Willow June 14, 2012

Yum, love the flavors in this. I always have potatoes on hand for quick throw-together dinners, and almost always end up kicking up the spice with cumin or chili powder. Unfortunately, my boyfriend is NOT a fan of sweet potatoes… but that hasn’t stopped me so far. “Here honey, I made you a bowl of cereal… now I’m going to eat my tasty, tasty sweet potato dinner!” LOL

84 Leigh June 14, 2012

I made these last night, and they were great! My boyfriend recently started eating primarily vegan and I’ve been trying to find delicious things to make for him. Your blog has been a huge help! Thank you! :)

85 Tamara June 17, 2012

Greetings from Australia.
Angela I have made several of your recipes and love them all. I have been vego for a few years and after doing a fasting juice detox a couple of months ago I have been whole food, mostly wheat free vegan with no desire for rubbish food. I’ve made lots of your recipes with some of my faves so far being the Red Quinoa Salad, the oat squares, ooh the raw energy cookies, the overnight oats and green monsters, the banana spelt oatmeal cookies, the veggie burgers and the maple baked beans. And now these burritos. I made them tonight and love them! I added some fresh corn cut off the cob and some red capsicum. I am still a bit scared of kale so subbed in silverbeet.
So thankyou, you have helped me be more adventurous with ingredients and recipes and I love that all of your ingredients are body and environment friendly.
Looking forward to the next ones!
Tamara.

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2012

Thank you Tamara, it’s a pleasure to meet you!

87 Annie June 27, 2012

I made these for dinner tonight and my fiance and kids loved them! Thank you so much for sharing all of your wonderful recipes, I can’t wait to try more!!

88 Jackie Kegler June 30, 2012

I made these for my boyfriend and his friend who are the furthest thing from vegan and it was a hit! Definitely making them again

89 MamaJen July 17, 2012

I used red potatoes (new) w/ skin on and a pretty big sweet potato… and I cut the corn off a cob and threw that in too. YUMMMM……. I just put it over some of the extra kale I had, w/ avocado on top. Super delicious!

90 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2012

I’m so happy you enjoyed it! Great call on the subs, I’ll have to try that!

91 Kara Swan July 18, 2012

This filling is a new favorite in my house. I wrap it up in Trader Joe’s whole grain and flax tortillas with avocado. I just made ten and wrapped them for freezing, for a quick lunch :)

92 Emily August 1, 2012

First off I’m newish (within the last week) to your blog. Loving it :)

I just made this for dinner. Oh my! I will be adding this to my list of favorites!

93 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2012

Hey Emily,

Welcome! So glad you enjoyed the recipe. Thanks for letting me know :)

94 Andrea August 30, 2012

This was the first vegan meal I’ve ever made and it was delicious. My husband and I are not vegan and both loved it! It was a nice change and it was a combo I wouldn’t have thought of. But anything with Avacado, cilantro and black beans, YUM! Consider me a loyal fan of your blog. Off to find my next vegan recipe!

95 Lindsay Anne September 3, 2012

This was amazing. My fiancé and I both loved it and we are full on meat eaters! Thanks for sharing.

96 Collette October 24, 2012

Thank you again for a great recipe. I finally made these last night adding mushrooms, corn, and mixed peppers to bulk it out a bit. This was really delicious and we’ll be making it again and again. We don’t typically enjoy sweet potatoes, but in this combination their sweet flavor really balanced the dish out nicely.

97 Kim October 27, 2012

I want to thank you so much I want to cry. It has been so hard to remain diligent with just eating a plant based diet because of sheer boredom (I end up eat veggie chili for a week and then began with rice and beans) you have given me the spark I need to keep it going for myself and my son. I sooooo need this. I wish you many thanks and blessings and as soon as the cookbook is published I will have a copy for myself and one for my mom who wants to do the same. I would hug you if I could!!

98 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2012

Hi Kim, Thank you so much for your lovely note! That means the world to me. Goodluck with your efforts! I have the tendency to get into food ruts too and it’s amazing what a couple new recipes a week can do for a boost. Take care!

99 Kim November 6, 2012

Made this today I add extra tomatoes (I love them so much) and my 2 year old mini me eats it up like it’s candy. He loves, loves beans. Thank you so much!

100 Jamie March 12, 2013

Made these for dinner tonight and try were absolutely delicious & a huge hit with my kiddos!

101 Ciera September 4, 2013

Amazing as always…we had these last night and left overs today. SO GOOD!!! I added red and yellow peppers and mushrooms. Going in the recipe box!!!

102 Hannah February 23, 2014

These are absolutely delicious. Can’t wait for your cookbook to get to my house. Thank you Angela.

103 Kelly March 25, 2014

These are amazing! The only thing I altered was adding some coconut nectar (honey would work great, too) to bring out some of the sweetness in the potatoes. Oh and I used all sweet potatoes because that’s what I had on hand. My hubby is going to be in heaven when he gets home ;)

104 Emily July 31, 2014

I was wondering if you’d know how I could freeze these. I’d like to keep these in the freezer for emergencies but don’t want that freezer burn taste. I buy Amy’s but they’re pricey

105 Sylvie January 29, 2015

These burritos are amazing!! Not only does it taste incredible but my house smells beautiful! Easy and fun to make, this recipe is a definite repeat. Thank you!