The Weekend Snapshots : Food, Food, Randomness, and more Food

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 4, 2012

You know a weekend was fun when you wake up on Monday morning feeling like you need to sleep for 53 hours. (That’s also the sign of a good vacation!) It’s the classic weekend hangover and it often lingers well into Tuesday. My solution is to relive random phone photos, creep other people’s weekend on Facebook, and make plans for next weekend. It’s sometimes the only way that Monday can be tolerated.

1. Dairy-free gelato. Chocolate Alphabet & Casa del Gelato in Oakville, is becoming a problem. And by problem, I’m referring to the mountain of cute bowls and spoons that I insist on hoarding and washing for future photography purposes. Don’t ask.

20120521_151147

ps- lemon for the win!

2. Mums that last for 3 weeks (what the….?), repurposed in a couple jars.

20120603_121458

3. Beautiful roses from my niece and nephew. xo

20120602_171556

4. Seeing dogs so disgustingly perfect, I had to snap a pic immediately. Cannot handle the cuteness!

20120528_200914

5. Enjoying one of my favourite vegan meals at Paradiso restaurant. It’s a Portobello steak and was frickin’ fabulous.

Must recreate.

20120602_193105

6. wine & loved ones

20120602_190050

7. Cards. Note: Trying to teach someone Euchre at the end of the night is probably not the best idea. Just throwing that out there. ;)

20120602_233053

8. Getting a tweet that KD Lang & crew are enjoying my vegan recipes via a caterer backstage! [Image via @clcampbell1271]

AuWGu9lCIAE3Rqz.jpg large

9. Blurry couple portrait #645364.

20120602_225923

10. Tequila shots gone wrong. Thank you broken salt container.

20120602_231045

11. Sunday morning.

20120603_085651

12. Homemade brunch & a Timmy’s coffee run!

20120603_101834

13. Served with Raw Triple Berry Fruit crisp.

20120603_101000

14. Whole Foods Salad Bar.

20120603_135320

15. Necessary hangover food. PS- You were right about the baked S&V Kettle chips!! New fav.

20120603_122732 20120602_163514

16. Repurposing the raw triple berry crisp into a salad with shredded kale, coconut oil, and balsamic vinegar. Very good idea.

IMG_3248

17. Enjoying the sun and a wonderful new book after a rainy weekend. Note the highlighter. ;)

20120603_183738

Until next time!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 4, 2012 at 10:22 am

Whaaaat? You fed KD Lang? I just saw her Friday night in Atlanta. I wonder if she was snacking on some OSG treats down South? :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2012 at 10:51 am

I think that was the show actually! I had no idea, but a caterer tweeted me with all the pics. How was the show?

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 4, 2012 at 11:49 am

Too funny! The show was amazing – it was outdoors at the botanical gardens. Hearing her sing Hallelujah out there under the moon was hauntingly beautiful.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I can only imagine :)

Destini June 4, 2012 at 10:30 am

That looks like a wonderfully crazy weekend! That berry breakfast….i want right now!!

Great photos :)

Fanta June 4, 2012 at 10:31 am

This was a great post! Thanks for sharing :)

KD Lang for the win!

Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana June 4, 2012 at 10:34 am

What a fun weekend! Those mums are gorgeous, love the color and can’t believe they’ve lasted for that long!

Shannon @ Urban Moda Photography June 4, 2012 at 10:38 am

I love gelato!! And now I want to make my very own berry crisp…and not share with anyone.

Katie @ Creature of Habit June 4, 2012 at 10:42 am

Looks like fun! I like creeping on other people’s weekends too. I think we all enjoy living vicariously through the internet ;)

Earthy Nicole June 4, 2012 at 10:44 am

Omigosh, those dogs really are perfect! So cute! Also, that gelato looks amazing! xx

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh June 4, 2012 at 10:44 am

Is that a “happy birthday” card from the niece and nephew? Happy Belated Birthday if I missed it! It looks like a WONDERFUL weekend!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 4, 2012 at 10:49 am

Looks like an AWESOME weekend! I’ll happily taste test that portobello steak when you decide to re-create it. The blurry photo of you and Eric made me laugh – what a beauty!! :)

Trainerpack June 4, 2012 at 10:49 am

Hope the book is good! On my to read list.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2012 at 10:52 am

It’s really good so far. I have highlighted so many things!! I might do a review on it when Im done.

Karen June 5, 2012 at 9:47 am

The title of that book piqued my interest too! I’d love to hear a brief summary/opinion of the book once finished if you can manage to incorporate into one of your posts (and in the end you find the book as awesome as it appears.) I prefer reading mostly nonfiction for pleasure too, w/the occasional “substantial” fiction thrown into the mix.

Love this weekend snapshot series…much more of an interesting narrative than most other similar posts from other bloggers. Great job!

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition June 4, 2012 at 10:57 am

Great book! I’m a big fan of Chris’s Blog also

Looks like you had a lovely weekend.

It was my birthday and I went white water rafting- so much fun!

Bree June 4, 2012 at 10:59 am

Just read The Fire Starter Sessions by Danielle Laporte and heard about that book – is it good??? :-)

Alisha @ Pink Spatulas June 4, 2012 at 10:59 am

What a fun summer weekend! That gelato does look delicious… I love combining raspberry and lemon flavors. So refreshing!

Keri June 4, 2012 at 11:06 am

Those two Goldens are ridiculously cute! And can’t wait till you re-create the Portabello steaks :)

Andrea @ Vegvacious June 4, 2012 at 11:10 am

How cool about the KD Lang tweet – that’s pretty exciting! You did have a truly awesome weekend by the looks of it — busy, fun-filled weekends are the best; especially during the summer months :)

PS – how do you like that book – it definitely looks like something right up my alley (even if it is the size of ginormous university textbook!!!)

Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures June 4, 2012 at 11:14 am

Looks like you had a wonderful weekend. I love, love, love fruit based gelato (and the cute little bowls and spoons that they come in)!

Sana June 4, 2012 at 11:15 am

Lovely weekend! Thanks for sharing!

Erin Motz June 4, 2012 at 11:15 am

I laughed out loud at that salt picture! So funny! ;-)

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 4, 2012 at 11:15 am

wow, fabulous weekend!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 4, 2012 at 11:17 am

Wow, what a fabulous weekend! DAIRY FREE GELATO!!??!!?? *amazing!* wow…simply wow!! and that portobello steak looks outrageous! thanks for sharing your fun weekend!

Karen June 4, 2012 at 11:21 am

RE OAKVILLE GELATO!! Tell me about it! My hubby and I went on Saturday night as well! For Basil Strawberry and Pineapple.. he had Roasted Almond and said it was his new fave!
It’s bad I think we go once a week! haa .. we also go to Stoney’s Bread Company just up the road for salads before hand and they are HUGE !

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Strawberry basil is my second fav :) We have been meaning to go to Stoney’s for a while. glad to hear it’s good! The patio is always packed.

Karen June 4, 2012 at 12:55 pm

You need to go- truly! It’s delicious! and they are more than happy to “hold the cheese” on items to make them vegan friendly. My hubby loves the pizza and their tomato sauce is a fire roasted one- the hubs loves it.
Enjoy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 5, 2012 at 7:57 am

Thanks Karen, that’s good to know!

Sarah L. June 4, 2012 at 11:23 am

Umm…why are you so much taller than the overly salted guy? :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks June 4, 2012 at 11:26 am

KD Lang enjoying your recipes?! AWESOME!

And flowers that last 3 weeks? 3 days is usually more like it for me! Lucky girl :)

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! June 4, 2012 at 11:28 am

What an awesome weekend! Next time I’m in Oakville I am definitely stopping by those gelato places!!!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life June 4, 2012 at 11:30 am

1. That coconut bliss ice cream is my FAVOURITE. On another ice cream note – do you find dairy-free gelato is easy to find? I have realized that I am slightly lactose intolerant and so although I don’t have much dairy in the house, it will be hard forgoing my gelato/fro-yo treats when out :(.

2. kd lang enjoying your treats from a caterer? Amazing. I can’t imagine how that tweet felt to get!

3. Yes yes yes to portobello steaks. Please, really DO recreate that one! I love em to death.

Heather @ For the Love of Kale June 4, 2012 at 11:35 am

Looks like a fab weekend, Angela! I totally agree with the sweet and salty mix of snacks to cure that hangover. It just needs to happen. ;-) THOSE DOGS ARE ADORABLE! Melted into a puddle upon seeing them.

Ellie @ healthy belly ellie June 4, 2012 at 11:35 am

Love these picture posts! SO cute!! Must try those salt and vin chips!! AHHH

Lauren June 4, 2012 at 11:37 am

I can’t believe that’s a portobello in that pic. It really looks like steak! Just curious, what’s the gelato made from if it’s dairy-free?

Sara June 4, 2012 at 11:46 am

Awesome pictures! Look like you had a great weekend! Can you please share how you created that beautiful berry crisp salad … is it just kale topped with berry crisp? Did you mix coconut oil and balsamic to make the dressing? What kind of kale did you use? Looks like dinosaur. The salad looks delicious!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Yup dinosaur kale! I just massaged shredded dino kale with coconut oil then drizzled it with balsamic. Finally, mixed in a hefty helping of the berry salad with extra oat/nut crumble on top. It was lovely!

Cara June 4, 2012 at 10:12 pm

how brilliant are you to turn a DESSERT into a SALAD???

Danielle @ Dish'n'Dash June 4, 2012 at 11:50 am

Love euchre! It is such a quintessential Ontario game. A difficult game to explain/teach (and made more difficult after a night of drinking!) but so much fun to play.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2012 at 12:29 pm

haha so true ;)

Laura June 4, 2012 at 11:55 am

Those dogs are ridiculous! But amazing. Love the post!

Karyn June 4, 2012 at 12:13 pm

You had me at Euchre! I am a Michigander transplanted to the South and no one here even knows what it is. (except for one fellow I met…from Ohio) A friend decided to teach me when we were younger at the end of a long night. Not sure if that helped or hurt!!!

Jenny June 4, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Looks like a wonderful weekend. I need to move to a town with Dairy free Gelato.

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes June 4, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Looks like a wonderful weekend. That is so crazy about KD Lang! I would’ve started screaming.
I love the new header too!

Francesca June 4, 2012 at 12:36 pm

You had me at “Timmy’s”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My boyfriend and I absolutely ADORE Timmy’s coffee. We live outside of DC now and there aren’t any Tim Horton’s around here. So, we always have to wait until we visit back home in Michigan to grab one or two coffees per DAY! Yummmmmmmmmmmmy! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 5, 2012 at 7:58 am

there’s a whole lotta love for Timmy’s over here! It must be such a nice treat when you do get it. :)

hannah alehandra June 4, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Hahaha the tequila shots with salt gone wrong made me literally lol. Looks like you had a fabulous weekend sweetheart! :) Much love, from your follower in England.x

Catalina @ Cake with Love June 4, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Love the dogs and the flowers, the food looks outstanding, that “steak” seems very real LOL I am sure it tasted amazing!

Sam @ Fit for My Fork June 4, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Awesome about KD Lang! What a compliment!
I like the picture of your dogs – they are almost mirror images of each other, too cute!

Grace @ Grace Dishes June 4, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I love these photos that capture the weekend perfectly. The gelato looks so divine! SUPER CUTE PUPPIES. I can’t resist the golden retrievers. The front door is so beautiful too!

Zestful Lou June 4, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I don’t take enough pictures.

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } June 4, 2012 at 1:57 pm

K.D. Lang was just in town last week – that must feel amazing to know she was eating your food!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers June 4, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Looks like a good time to me – lthough all the salt in that one tequila shot alone would give me a hangover! ha ;) I’m totally jealous of the gelato. I can hardly find it near me at all, much less in dairy-free form.

laura June 4, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Looks like a perfect weekend! :)

Kathy June 4, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Love that book!

I’m not a fan of dill – what other herb do you think would compliment the rest of the Asparagus Potato Salad well if any?

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 5, 2012 at 7:55 am

You could probably just add more chives?

Justyn June 4, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Our family of six is working our way through a lot of your recipes and blogging it as we go. I felt I should let you know ;) A very delicious experiment indeed.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 5, 2012 at 7:53 am

That’s great, I will certainly check it out!

Erin @ The Grass Skirt June 4, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Your weekend is making me hungry! :) The photo of those dogs should be in a calendar or something. Even the house looks picture perfect.

Angela June 4, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I laughed out loud at the tequila shots gone wrong photo. And the portabello mushroom steAk looks amazing

Michelle June 4, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Oh all of your photos and explorations are making me homesick for Oakville!! I used to live 2 seconds from that gelato place. It’s the best when it’s a warm summer night and sitting out on their “patio”. I’m currently in Halifax (which is nice too), but Oakville has a particular charm in the downtown area. Have you been to the Green Bean?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 5, 2012 at 7:51 am

Yes we really love the Green Bean…their vegan wrap is to die for!

B @ Crags and Veggies June 4, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Wow, those mums are gorgeous!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 4, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I love Paradiso too! I need to make another visit there soon so I can try that portabello dish – it looks amazing!

Jacqueline June 4, 2012 at 7:53 pm

That looks like the PERFECT weekend. Great food, awesome company, and fun festivities!! I want to visit that gelato shop – looks delicious!

katie June 4, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Looks like a fabulous weekend.

And KD Lang!!

Also, Coconut Bliss – love it.

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings June 4, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I love your re-cap. And I had a major weekend hangover this morning. It took two cups of coffee to get me going and even then I whined for a while. The berry crisp looks so refreshing I must make! And I love the tequila gone wrong shot, so funny. I hope you enjoy your week! I made sure to get in my salad a day :)

char eats greens June 4, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Ahhh, you just reminded me that I have Coconut Bliss ice cream in MY freezer…I think you know where I’m headed after I click ‘submit’ ;)

char eats greens June 4, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Nevermind, I lied. It’s actually So Delicious I have. But Coconut Bliss IS on sale at my health food store this week, so I plan to stock up on it haha

Cara June 4, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Ever read the Teany cookbook? (I think you’ve mentioned visiting the restaurant, although it’s been gone for some time now.) I’m not a hangover person, but I LOVE teany’s grilled cashew-butter sandwich (it’s definitely a food I’ve eaten obsessively) and it is–according to the cookbook–the world’s most perfect hangover food.

Moni Meals June 4, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Seriously, how do you top a weekend like this! Wow Ang. Are you serious, with Kd Lang?! How cool! Hope you catch up on some rest tonight. ;)

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See June 4, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Hahahahhaha the coconut bliss and brita picture is my fav. Such a classic ;)

Ashley (Taste for Healthy) June 4, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Looks like an excellent weekend! :) P.S. I LOVE that book! It, along with your blog, inspired me to ‘take a leap’ to follow my passion for all things nutrition, health, & wellness back in 2010! I ended up enrolling at Integrative Nutrition, and have never been more excited about everything in life! Thank you for being such an inspiration, Angela! xoxo

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 5, 2012 at 7:48 am

So glad to hear that Ashley! Congrats on your life change :)

Tamara June 5, 2012 at 12:16 am

Love that Portobello ‘steak’… can’t wait for your recipe of it to come out!

xox
T

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts June 5, 2012 at 4:55 am

This looks like a wonderful weekend – just beautiful!

[email protected] nutritious June 5, 2012 at 5:15 am

Cononut ice cream and salt and vinegar chops, two of my favorite things…yum!

kaity June 5, 2012 at 7:22 am

wat a awesome wknd! and im cracking up about the hoarding the cups i do the same thing with the whole foods icecream cups because there so cute !

Tiffany June 5, 2012 at 7:39 am

Wow, so cool about KD Lang! Looks like an awesome weekend. How is the book?

LizAshlee June 5, 2012 at 8:47 am

Sounds like a perfect weekend!!

Sarah S. June 5, 2012 at 8:57 am

Oh good LORD the variety of tasty-looking food photos in the post has made me so hungry!

Margaret M. June 5, 2012 at 9:06 am

Great photos! I can see that you really had a great weekend. I love the gelato and the dogs are so cute. How I wish I have one of those dogs as my own. huhu..they’re so cute can’t get enough of them.

Holly W June 5, 2012 at 9:06 am

oh my goodness – there is so much from your weekend that I want in my life! Portobella Steaks?! Please recreate and share! and KD Lang nom-ing on your recipes?!
and i LOVE that you play Euchre. I’m from Indiana, and since I’ve moved to Utah, no one has even heard of Euchre, so I miss playing it.
what a beautiful and enjoyable weekend!

Clare June 5, 2012 at 9:48 am

How cool that KD Lang is getting your recipes; love her! I’m in Oakville too and my husband and I often go to Paradiso for their yummy Vegan menu offering…I don’t know anywhere else downtown that does one so it’s made me a loyal fan. Also, those two Goldens are a regular sight when we go for walks down by the lake. My kids like to wave to them :)

K June 5, 2012 at 11:16 am

Love gelato! Next time you are in Toronto, you should check out Soma Chocolatiers (2 locations- King St. West and Distillery District). They have beautiful and delicious flavour combinations of gelato. College Street has tons of variety, Dolce gelato is my fav. there!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 5, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Thanks for the tip!

caren magill June 5, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Miss me some timmy ho’s!!!!! Happy b-lated.

Meister, Running While Smiling June 8, 2012 at 8:14 am

Jeez Louise, whatta weekend: You are basically showing the rest of us how it’s done, aren’t you?

Also? KD LANG FTW!

Al October 6, 2012 at 8:38 pm

YUMMMMMMM – that is some of the tastiest looking vittles I’ve seen in a while. It actually made me hungry – I will now go eat!