Sun-dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

IMG 9737   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

Eric has this new thing for kale chips.

Specifically, “cheezy” kale chips. The guy is practically obsessed. Every time we find ourselves in Organic Garage, he sneaks a bag of kale chips into the cart and then gets annoyed with me if I eat too many of “his” chips. I never thought I’d have to fight him for a dried up green leaf! When we first met, his vegetable consumption consisted of potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, and corn. Eleven years later, I don’t think there’s a vegetable he won’t eat. Give me time and I can wear down even the toughest critic.

Well, this kale chip obsession motivated me to dig out my rarely used dehydrator and start making kale chips again. Have you ever had cheezy kale chips? They are basically “chips” made from torn kale leaves which are coated in a “cheezy” cashew sauce and then dehydrated until crisp. They are ridiculously addictive. I personally cannot figure out how to make a batch last more than 1 day.

IMG 9742   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

I’ve made Doug McNish’s sour cream and onion kale chips many times in the past and they are always incredible. For this batch, I decided to make a new flavour with sundried tomatoes, basil, and other seasonings for a fun twist. Very tasty idea. I found myself just eating the sauce-covered pieces of raw kale before they even were put into the dehydrator. Always a good sign the recipe will be a success!

IMG 9723   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

I spread out the batch on 3 trays and set the temperature to 105-110F. Then I left it overnight for about 12 hours until they were nice and crispy. I awoke to this.

Breakfast?

IMG 9725   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

Sun-dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

Like nachos only better tasting and better for you. Satisfy your every chip craving with these cheezy, salty, green, and crispy kale chips!

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Ingredients:

• 1 large bunch of kale, stems discarded and leaves ripped up
  • 30 grams organic sundried tomatoes, soaked in water to soften for at least 1 hour (see note)
  • 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 1 hour
  • 2 large garlic cloves
  • 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp soaking water from tomatoes
  • 2-4 tbsp fresh basil
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 3/4 tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste

1. In two separate bowls, soak the sundried tomatoes and cashews in water for at least 1 hour, but preferably 1.5-2 hours if possible. After soaking, reserve the tomato soaking water and set aside. Drain and rinse the cashews.

2. In a food processor, with the machine running, drop in the garlic and process until minced.

3.. Add in the rest of the ingredients except the salt. Process until smooth, scraping sides as necessary, and add salt slowly to taste.

4. Wash the kale leaves and tear the kale into pieces, discarding the stems. Dry the leaves in a salad spinner (this helps the sauce stick). Place greens into a large bowl. Pour the cheeze sauce on top of the kale and stir with a spoon. Then toss the spoon and get in there with your hands to massage the sauce into the kale until well coated. Season with salt to taste. I used a few shakes of Herbamare.

5. Dehydrate for about 12 hours at 105-110F. Kale chips are ready when they are super crispy and taste magnificent. I dare you not to eat a full batch in 1 day.

Note: My sun-dried tomatoes were very hard and dry so I had to soak them first for about 1-2 hours. If you are using oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, you obviously won’t have to soak them first. I would add them to taste and then use filtered water as needed, rather than the soaking water

IMG 5971   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

I bought my Excalibur dehydrator a few years ago when I was running the bakery. I have one of their largest models because I was making over 200 raw bars at a time in it. It was a bit insane. If I could do it again I would have a smaller model for personal use (they do have many sizes too). The Excalibur works well and I haven’t had any issues with it. I do find the “humming” noise to be a bit annoying, so I like to dehydrate overnight whenever possible.

IMG 9335   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale ChipsIMG 9727   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

If any of you have a dehydrator, feel free to leave a comment with the brand and model as a few readers have asked me for recommendations. Bonus points if you have a recommendation for a reliable dehydrator at a low price!!

Now, I know you are wondering…well, can I use my oven if I don’t have a dehydrator? I’ve been told that it’s possible. If some of you have made cheezy kale chips in the oven, please leave a comment below and let us know what temp, method, and duration you used. Merci!

Jenna A. | The Paleo Project May 4, 2012

I love sundried tomato, what a smart twist to the classic! Can’t wait to try

Giorgia May 4, 2012

Yes, you can if your oven has a low temperature setting. I once made raw veggie burgers at 40C and they were just perfect.

Liz May 4, 2012

I have a question – how do you store kale chips?? I have made them in the oven (just sea salt, olive oil and occasionally nutritional yeast), but when I put them in a tupperware container they soften and aren’t as crisp. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2012

They usually don’t last more than a day over here. haha. I think a glass jar might hold their crispness a bit better, but I’m not sure. I have had the baggie problem too!

Liz May 4, 2012

Glass jar hunting it is then!! Be curious to know if you find an alternative. And the plastic bag thing does not work. Leaving them on the tray works, but then you have the problem of not last more than a day (which you seem to be familiar with – husbands!! :)).

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2012

hah well that’s if Eric gets to them in time!

Trish Adams May 7, 2012

what about paper bags??

Liz May 8, 2012

So obvious – why didn’t I think of that? Thanks Trish!

Jasmine May 4, 2012

I know its not vegan but I always add a few marshmallows to my brown sugar because they absorb the moisture….maybe it would work the same in a container of kale chips?

rachel May 28, 2012

Rice grains absorb moisture in salt shakers. Maybe that would work in a glass or plastic jar.

alan schechner August 11, 2012

Store them in the freezer and they stay crisp

Jill August 13, 2014

Try the freezer. I just put them in a tupperware and it works amazingly… i can keep a batch for a couple weeks (if they last that long!!).

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 4, 2012

Looks yummy!! Next time Eric gets annoyed at you for eating too many of ‘his chips’ just tell him that he owes you because your ability to convert him into a veggie eater has made him so much healthier! I haven’t made kale chips in a while but you’ve triggered a craving now! I don’t have a dehydrator and usually make them in the oven. They seem to turn out just fine, but I’ve never tried the cheezy version so if I do I will let you know! :)

Cindy May 4, 2012

We have a Nesco dehydrator and really like it. I suggest buying extra trays.

Amy May 4, 2012

We have the same deydrator – you can get it through Lee Valley. The price is right, it works well and you can get both extra trays and liners (i.e. for making fruit leathers, crepes, etc.)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2012

Aw thanks for the tip! I am going to check out their liners… :) thanks

jaime collins May 4, 2012

Ive tried making kale chips in the oven but they didnt turn out good. Does anyone have a recipe for this?

li May 18, 2012

Jaime – my husband and i have been making kale chips non-stop since the New Year. Our 3 kids under 5y love them too. We bake them in the oven – spray of olive oil, sprinked with truffle sea salt and nutritional food yeast – bake for 30-35minutes until dry at 250F (convection or regular bake mode – both work and there doesn’t seem to be a difference in the speed of cooking or perfection of the chip!). I have not had issues with the kale burning even if left in a little longer. We store in a wooden salad bowl (no lid) – chips rarely last a day unless i make them when the kids are in bed and then they get gobbled up before breakfast!

jaime collins May 4, 2012

PS. I think your website is great. I’m having a lot of fun trying all the delicious recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2012

Thanks Jaime!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 4, 2012

I love how much of the coating you got on these! It makes me want a dehydrator… so much more effective than the oven!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset May 4, 2012

Yumm what a delicious looking new take on kale chips! I need a dehydrator, and you and this recipe just allowed me to realize it eve more :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape May 4, 2012

These look fantastic!! I’ve never had kale chips before, but I’ve always wanted to try them!

LizAshlee May 4, 2012

Sun dried tomatoes are the best…especially when you add cheese…yum yum yum!! I haven’t made kale chips in awhile..I think it is time! :)

marla May 4, 2012

These are such inventive kale chips ~ must try soon!

Nadiya @ Milk and Honey May 4, 2012

Everyone keeps talking about kale chips but I’ve never actually tried them before. I guess I’ll have to give it a try in the oven because I don’t have a food dehydrator though :(

Raychel May 4, 2012

I make kale chips in the oven (actually a convection toaster oven in my dorm room) all the time. I make giant plates of it (salad size!) and make it a meal with toast and cashew “cheese” on top. Here’s my recipe for cashew cheese (I add chickpeas to make it lower fat)

1 bunch kale

Cheese sauce (makes ~2.5-3 cups)
1 can chickpeas
2-4 TB nutritional yeast (2 for the very finely grated kind, 4+ for the flaky kind)
3/4 cup raw cashews
1+ cup almond milk unsweetened
1/2 tsp salt (or Herbamare)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
other seasonings if desired: onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, kelp flakes, etc.

Add 1/4 cup of “cheese” sauce to kale, massage in with hands and then put on a tray in the oven. Set it to ~400 degrees (it might be different for other people’s ovens since mine is a toaster oven) and cook for ~10-12 min. Enjoy immediately after!

Julie Boyer May 6, 2012

This sounds really tasty!! Thanks for sharing.

Courtney December 2, 2012

Making these now! They really are yummy! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Kathlee Brophy May 4, 2012

Hi there Angela. I love your page. I also love Kale. My brother has a Kale company called Tasty Kale out of New Haven CT. All natural and really innovative flavors: Zatar, Zing Zang, Sweet Kale, Garlic, etc. http://www.tastykale.com Check him out!
Keep up the good work, I’m addicted to your website and love love love your recipes!

Jody May 4, 2012

I also have a nesco dehydrator, a square one,

I have added 4 trays for a total of 8.

It has been running nonstop in my house lately. I have been making apple crisps (thinly sliced apples, dehydrated to the point where they are crispy like a potato chip) and strawberry crisps from all the strawberries on sale lately.

I have made kale chips in the oven. There are lots of recipes out there for “baked kale chips”. I have not made them in the dehydrator. I am trying out this recipe next.

Lauren May 4, 2012

I’ve always wanted to try these but have been nervous! I need to go out and buy a dehydrator now!

Jill @ A Cook's Nook May 4, 2012

I recently have become obsessed with kale chips (a little out of season, no?). Patience isn’t my biggest strenght, so I’ve been baking them at about 300 degrees F for 12-15 minutes. They’re still pretty good, but these look much better. Do you think that the slow and low cooking time helps? If so…I could try and wait!

Nicole May 4, 2012

I make kale chips often, and I don’t have a dehyrator. I put my oven temp as low as it will go (mine goes to 170 F) and prop the door open and bake for about 1.5 hours. If you don’t leave the door open, it holds the moisture in the oven and they won’t dry out.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2012

Does this work with cheezy kale chips too?

Anniemac May 5, 2012

Gonna try this in the morning – I normally do mine in the oven with garlic and chilli flakes and they are soft (but delicious over rice)!!

Anna May 7, 2012

Yes, it does! :-)

Katie May 14, 2012

AHHHHH!!! Thank you so much, I was reading through all the comments because I wanted to do them in the oven and I was getting discouraged :) YAY!! Totally making these for my toddler who will only eat a select few veggies!

Amanda May 4, 2012

Another reason why I need to finally bite the bullet and get a dehydrator. Looking forward to reading through the comments to see what people recommend!

Katrina May 4, 2012

Mmm these sound like the perfect snack. Love this!

katie@ KatieDid May 4, 2012

Yes I’ve made them in the oven once or twice, a low setting and not very long. They are great! I do prefer sauteed kale though for some reason, I feel like when they get crunchy they lose their substance. Then again I haven’t tried them with this sauce!

Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) May 4, 2012

I make my Kale Chips in the oven at 250 for 30-40min. You really have to babysit them by flipping every 5min or so after the 25min mark and taking out all the the crispy chips. I might try Nicole’s method next time because that sounds a lot easier.

Mary Casaubon May 4, 2012

I was looking into the Sedona brand one, from tribest, anybody have that model? It is really nice but very expensive.
You can purchase these little packages to put in your bags of kale chips etc that help them to stay crisp. I think they are called Deyex packages.

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove May 4, 2012

My husband loves kale (he’s on a real kick lately) so I think I would come off as wife-of-the-year if I was able to whip these up for him! Thanks for the recipe!

Marianne May 4, 2012

It’s not cheap by any means, but I love the Sedona 9-tray dehydrator by Tribest. It looks much nicer than the Excalibur (I leave it out on my counter so looks matter) and it’s digital, so very easy to use. You can also set it to only use 1/2 the dehydrator (upper or lower trays) which saves electricity when doing a small batch. I make kale chips, granola, fruit leather, and yogurt in it all the time!

Mary Casaubon May 4, 2012

That sounds good! Is is quiet?

Marianne May 4, 2012

Yes, it’s quiet and there’s also a “night mode” which is even quieter (but will take things longer to dry since it slows the fans a bit). There are videos on YouTube comparing the Excalibur to the Sedona if you want to see a side-by-side.

Tracy May 4, 2012

I have made kale chips in the oven and I thought they turned out great! As one of the commenters above said, once you store them in an air tight containter they get soggy, so only make what you plan on eating right away (but make MORE than you think you need because they are addicting, delicious and nutritious!).

Steph May 4, 2012

Yes love the new website! (and kale chips of course!)

Jacquie May 4, 2012

For storing kale i have to say the best way seems to be simply in a big bowl, don’t crowd them .They do last a few days,sometimes i think you just can’t “store”some things?!Plus if they are on yor table they do get eaten by passing children!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2012

thats a good idea…not like they can really get stale I guess? hah

Anne May 4, 2012

Hey -
I make them in the oven – although I have not tried the Cheezy version. I actually just put some kale leaves (plain) on parchment paper at 250 and watch until they crisp up. Maybe 12-15 minutes. Be careful on burning, but I watch mine pretty closely.

Christine Gillis May 4, 2012

I know that cooking things at too high a temp kills the enzyemes, hence the low temp however, I make kale chips in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes with olive oil and sea salt. They are light and flakey, perhaps avoided if I were to use a very low oven. Do your kale chips get crispy? As in, could you actually take a bite of a kale chip or do you have to eat one in one bite sort of thing?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2012

I’ve baked regular kale chips in the oven too…they work great! However, Im not sure how it would work with the cheezy coating. I tried once and they burned along the edges so I think I had it at too high a temperature. Yup, the kale chips get super crispy in the dehydrator.

Raychel May 5, 2012

I bake mine in the oven with a cheezy coating and they don’t burn, but get nice and crispy

Sarah May 6, 2012

I make my kale chips in the oven with the temp. at 200 degrees F. They seem to take a long time to get crispy though…..something like 2 to 2.5 hours. But I saw that someone mentioned propping the oven door open so that might speed the process along. I haven’t tried this recipe, but I do make cheezy kale chips and they do get crispy without burning!

I experimented last week with a new batch of kale chips. If you blend an avocado with the cashews for the cheesy coating you get a slight hint of avocado which is oh so good!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

Oh wow that sounds to die for!

Carrie May 4, 2012

YUM! These look amazing!

Zestful Lou May 4, 2012

I’ve been eyeballing your sour cream and onion kale chip recipe for a while now! I’ll have to head out to the farmer’s market this weekend to pick up a few bunches of fresh kale!

Stacie May 4, 2012

Thanks for your post on NYC a while back. We just returned from a trip there and John’s Pizzeria was a huge hit with my husband (among other suggestions from you)! Never would have guessed from the outside how awesome and huge it was on the inside. Plus the yummy food!

Thanks for the tidbits and your posts…and the wonderful work you do….as always :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2012

Hey Stacie, I’m glad you enjoyed it! I think Eric is still full from eating that pizza…hah. Thanks for your kind words.

Stacie May 5, 2012

tee hee hee….Brian said the same thing!

Tricia May 4, 2012

OK. I’m sold. I’ve been putting off buying a dehydrator (small kitchen – no storage), but you’ve inspired me :-) Those kale chips look fab. If I follow through with my purchase, I intend to dry seasonal fruits, too, for use a snacks or in oatmeal. Thank you!

Willow May 4, 2012

LOVE me some kale chips, haha! I’ve made them many times, but have never made them different flavors like this. Great idea!

Katie @ Creature of Habit May 4, 2012

What a fun flavor combo! I would love to get a dehydrator but I don’t think I would use it enough to justify the expense :(

Alex @ Raw Recovery May 4, 2012

I was so hesitant to try kale chips but I’m hooked now!! It’s been 8 months of luv :) I’m becoming increasingly aware that I would like a dehydrator as I’m eating more raw foods now.

Yellow Haired Girl May 4, 2012

You’re a genius. That is all. These look amazing!

Averie @ Averie Cooks May 4, 2012

Angela, these look so incredible! I love love love sundried tomatoes, and haven’t made anything with them in awhile. Must change that! My usual kale chip coating recipe involves red peppers and I can see how the sundrieds are perfect in your coating mixture. I want to eat kale chips for breakfast after this post :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2012

Hey Averie, Thank you! I think I remember you saying that you can bake cheezy kale chips in the oven? Do you remember what temp and for how long?

Averie @ Averie Cooks May 4, 2012

There are different variables and ways to do it, i.e. 350F for maybe 20-25 minutes or 200-250F with the oven door ajar for maybe an hour or more. I have made chips with the door open at 200F and it takes quite a long time, especially if the coating mixture is really drippy and the chips are very saturated.

Best advice is to flip every 20 minutes, and carve out a block of time where you can “babysit” them. I find slower/lower temps are better than faster/higher temps.

Page 1 of 3123»