An Injury Update & Finding The Silver Lining

IMG_5612

It’s now been about 3 weeks since I decided to take a break from running due to aggravating my knee while lifting a heavy box during the move. I thought I would give you guys a bit of an update and let you know how things are going. Of course, running on an already sore knee wasn’t going to improve the situation no matter how badly I wanted to keep up with training for my races. I decided to drop out of my planned 10km races (one last Sunday and one this weekend). It just isn’t worth it to me to go against what my body is telling me. In fact, the more I listen to my body, the better I feel.

My knee is feeling a bit better each day, granted much slower than I’d hoped it would. We all know our bodies the best and it’s pretty easy to feel when something still isn’t 100%. I did a short test run a couple weekends ago (with Eric who is actually getting into running believe it or not) and it felt pretty good during the run, but a bit sore for my liking following the run. I’ve been icing, doing strengthening exercises (as suggested by a PT), and lots of yoga. It’s never fun to get excited for races and then realize that you can’t take part, but I’m just trying to stay positive and focus on what I CAN do with my body.

Like yoga and strength training! If you were reading this blog last May, you may recall that I fell in love with hot yoga. It was one of those moments when I asked myself, what the heck took me so long to try it? This came as a huge surprise to me because I previously tried yoga at home with DVDs for a couple years and I could never get into it. Trying to teach myself at home was like nails on a chalkboard most of the time and I felt like I was forcing myself to get through just 15- 20 minutes.

Many of you told me that my entire perception of yoga would change when I practiced in a class setting. Boy were you ever right. After I stepped out of my first class at Moksha last April, my perception of yoga was forever changed. I felt invigorated, calm, and happy and I already couldn’t wait to go back the next day. Everything finally clicked.

This experience made me realize that sometimes the things we resist the most are the things we actually need the most. As someone who struggles with a ton of anxiety and a mind that never sleeps, I naturally resisted yoga because I was scared. Of slowing down, perhaps? Was I worried about being still? As it turns out, it was the best thing I could have done for myself.

"Be open to everything. Your most valuable lessons may well come from the things you’re resisting the most." ~Melody Beattie

At first, I took about a week and a half off of all exercise until my knee told me it could do a bit more. After my time off, I decided to try out many of the wonderful yoga studios in my new town. So far I’ve tried Some Like It Hot and Clarity yoga studios and I plan to try others eventually. The great thing about trying yoga in a new area (or for the first time) is that you can take advantage of all of the cheap intro offers that many yoga studios offer. I can basically do several months of yoga for $1 per class if I take advantage of all the studios intro offers. I’m going to ride the intro train as long as I can! hah. After that, I plan on finding deals on Wagjag and other daily deal sites.

I’ve also challenged myself to step outside of my “yoga comfort zone” as I used to be quite comfortable with Moksha’s style. So far, I’ve tried Power yoga, Vinyasa, Hatha, and even hot Pilates (which was amazing for the core). Other classes I want to try include spinning yoga, a barre class, and maybe (if I can get over my fears) aerial yoga! Still can’t quite wrap my head around that one. Thankfully the yoga and strength training hasn’t been bothering my knee, so it’s a safe way for me to enjoy moving my body and clearing my head.

When things happen in our lives that take us off our planned course (and they will), it’s a great time to stop and think about what other doors have opened. It can take time to figure out, but that’s ok too. Do a bit more of what feels good to you each day, and a bit less of what doesn’t.

Have you ever found yourself with a sudden closed door, only to discover other open doors in the process? Or have you resisted something for a long time and then discovered that it was something you enjoyed?

1 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh April 17, 2012

Isn’t it funny how life works? When you’re forced to do something different you can find you really love something you might’ve written off before. I sprained my thumb about a year ago and while I still have flare ups, there was nothing more frustrating than having to dial back my workouts. But we had nice long walks as the alternative and it was a good was to get back to basics.

I WILL try yoga sometimes. Lord knows I have plenty of DVD’s that include it!

2 Angela April 17, 2012

Yes it is nice to get back to the basics :) We’ve been walking some nights too…must be spring!

3 laurie April 17, 2012

Thanks for this, Ange! I too have been avoiding taking a yoga class because, well . . . I’m scared. I’m worried since I’ve never done it before and afraid I’ll look stupid or won’t be flexible. You have motivated me to go for it! You are so inspirational!!

4 Angela April 17, 2012

That was one of my fears too. The great thing about yoga, I’ve found, is that other people are very much into their own practice. It gets you inside your own mind and you’ll find that others aren’t preoccupied looking at people around them. I still screw up all the time and I find that no one even notices! ha

5 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca April 17, 2012

I love your positive perspective on something so unfortunate. Yes, your body will heal, and it is best to focus on what you CAN do! :)
Last year I broke my tailbone after falling while snowboarding. It hurt to sit, walk, or do anything that wasn’t lying down. The only thing I could do for exercise was mild, at-home yoga, and even then I had to modify much of it. But yoga helped my body heal quickly, and it felt so good to slow down & listen to my body.
Hope you heal quickly, Angela. Enjoy the process!

6 Angela April 17, 2012

Ouch. I’m happy to hear that you have healed! Snowboarding can be a tough sport.

7 Cait's Plate April 17, 2012

I can definitely relate to this. I injured my back and was forced to do other things and re-fell in love with yoga and other forms of cardio! I love your positive attitude :)

8 Anna @ The Guiltless Life April 17, 2012

I found it really hard to stop running too but I injured my knee as well and finally had to look at the facts – none of my other fitness interests (yoga, Zumba, dance, weight training) strained my body as much as running did. So I said goodbye and it was scary but I’ve never felt better! Hope your knee continues to heal :).

9 Ashley S. April 17, 2012

Thank you so much for sharing this! Recently after about mile three on my runs my left ankle starts to flare up to the point where it hurts to rotate it and I have to walk. This has been such a setback for me because my heart wants to get out and run SO bad but I know I can’t do it as frequently anymore. I love your positive attitude and ability to search for other ways of fueling your spirit for exercise. You are such a role model for me – honestly not a day goes by that I don’t check to see what you’ve written haha. I always look forward to hearing your positive thoughts and creative advice! I hope your recovery goes as quickly as possible and i’m excited to attempt new sports with you! (Also, I just made those coconut breakfast bars the other day… I can always count on your recipes to be so delicious) Thanks Angela :)

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 17, 2012

Thank you Ashley, I’m so happy to hear that you enjoy the post. I’m sorry about your injury! I wish you a speedy recovery & finding new fun things to use your “free” time :)

11 Alex @ Raw Recovery April 17, 2012

I’m sorry to hear about your injury but really glad to hear that you are listening to your body, which is so crucial.

I actually have a very similar situation with yoga. The DVDs never did it for me and I felt self-conscious even on my own. A class setting allows for a flow of energy that comes from each person and I really believe there is a special yoga vibe that you get from practicing with others. It has helped my self-esteem and body consciousness a lot, even though I still occasionally struggle. I’m falling in love with yoga and through that, falling more in love with my body. It was hard to give up my sick, eating disordered body but yoga makes me realize that strength is sexy! I don’t practice to get a “yoga body” but to feel strong, connected, and invigorated. It’s not really so much a workout for me as it is a spiritual practice, and I realize everyone has their own connection with it, which I respect. This is just mine.

12 Angela April 17, 2012

What a beautiful comment Alex. I can relate to that a lot.

13 Amy April 17, 2012

I love your positive outlook on your injury. It is refreshing to hear someone listen to her body despite a desire to run. In my recovery from anorexia and compulsive exercise, this has been one of the most difficult things for me to learn. Thank you for sharing your experience and being such a good role model!

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 17, 2012

Thank you Amy, that means a lot to me. All the best with your recovery!

15 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 17, 2012

You have to give Aerial Yoga a try! I have zero acrobatic or dance background and I love it. You will feel graceful in every pose. It’s a hard workout (hello core!) but it is very relaxing and peaceful. How can you not feel calm as you are gently swaying in a cocoon during Savasana?

16 Angela April 17, 2012

It does sound quite elegant :)

17 Cady April 17, 2012

Sorry to hear about your injury, but it’s great to read your positive attitude during your recovery.
I have the opposite feeling about yoga – I never really enjoyed the few classes I’ve taken but I
love my dvds. It might be that I don’t have a lot of options for classes where I live, or that
I feel too self-conscious.

18 Angela April 17, 2012

I say do what works for you and you can’t go wrong. Although, I must admit, I’m curious to try a DVD at home and see how I find it now that I’ve grown to enjoy it so much.

19 april April 17, 2012

I love the intro prices!!! Ride that train as long as possible. I have been doing the same thing with massages! :) Happy Yoga!

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 17, 2012

massages? Do tell :)

21 Amanda April 17, 2012

I used to be so intimidated by yoga, for whatever reason. Fear of not being flexible enough, not knowing the poses, just generally embarrassing myself. I finally worked up to trying it about a year ago and couldn’t believe I had made such a big deal about it in my head. Since then, I’ve tried a handful of other classes (pilates and barsculpt being the latest) and I’m getting better and better at just giving something new a try without getting all worked up over it. You have to start somewhere, right? :)

22 Carrie April 17, 2012

How great that you are pushing yourself to try all sorts of yoga instead of sticking in your comfort zone. I wish you a speedy recovery!

23 Andrea @ Vegvacious April 17, 2012

This post comes at a perfect time for me! I aggravated my right knee on Thursday during a power spin class and last night was the first time I’d tried running since. It’s really aching and stiff today and it is really, really frustrating because I have plans to run my first 5K in May or June. I don’t want to end up with a serious injury, so I am reluctantly taking it easy — I just hate it when you’re motivated and excited for new goals! Thanks for the tip on some possible cheap yoga classes — I’m going to check that out to give me something to do over the next few weeks! I also have received a coupon for 1 month of Jazzercise for $29 so once my knee starts feeling stronger, I might give that a try as well.

24 Ally April 17, 2012

You should totally do aerial! I did it in Toronto recently. It’s a blast – but definitely weird at first. I also found it’s not very relaxing/doesn’t have the whole ‘calming/centering’ aspect of regular yoga…but it’s fun!

25 Katie @ Creature of Habit April 17, 2012

I tried yoga a long time ago but it just didn’t do it for me. I have recently started thinking about going back. Just need to find some time. I have a really bad mentality that I need to be dripping in sweat for it to have been a good work out but I’m slowly changing that as I see more and more positive results from strength training. I think yoga will be the next new addition once I’ve reached a positive approach to it.

26 Shannon Watson April 17, 2012

I’m so glad I stumbled across this post today. I’ve been off of running for a while due to a stress fracture in my foot and the desperate need for new shoes. It’s hard for me to take breaks and I usually thrive with a routine, so I’ve felt completely out of sorts as well as stressed with my 10k coming up next month. Reading this post made me stress a little less and reinforce that I need to take it slowly. I tend to throw myself in to training hard and I’m trying to learn to not kill myself every time I train. Thanks ^__^

27 Liz April 17, 2012

Last year I finally gave up running because every time I’d train for a race longer than a 10K my right knee would just completely give out and lay me up for weeks at a time. So instead of fighting my body, I’m listening to it. I threw my energy into spinning and cardio kickboxing and found true workout love! I’m now a Schwinn Cycle certified instructor and I’m going for kickboxing certification this weekend! This has also inspired me to attain certification in other formats in the coming months too! I’m fitter (and happier) than ever and it’s all because that one door closing blew open a whole bunch of windows! Thanks for all that you do, Angela – you’ve always been an inspiration to me! :-)

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 17, 2012

Liz, I love your story! Thanks for sharing :)

29 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 17, 2012

I hope your class this AM was good (and somewhat restorative!) ;) I didn’t know Eric was getting into running too – that’s great! My latest new-to-me activity that I’ve wanting to try for a while but kept putting off was rock climbing, and I love it! I’m planning to go a lot more often when I get back from Australia in May. This is all indoor climbing I’m talking about though…. not sure I really want to do any of the outdoor sort just yet! Have a great afternoon Ange!

30 Bess April 17, 2012

So sorry to hear about the injury! I was recently training for a half marathon (my first) and was so so excited…until, while I was on a 9-mile run, my knee seized up and hasn’t been the same :( I tried running on it a couple of time, but after about 1.5 mi, I felt a deep soreness. It was my body telling me to take a step back and evaluate.

I took time to look at all the positive things going on in my life. I am fortunate to have recently been accepted to a Ph.D. program across the country and am getting ready to move! I also have a great group of people around me and feel so loved. And, I know this sounds cliche, but I feel fortunate that I can go outside, walk, breathe, and do the mundane–but beautiful!–things I normally do. Vinyasa yoga has definitely encouraged me to be mindful, strong, and present. Although I miss running a lot (and am not sure whether I will be able to do it again, at least not for a while), I am doing my best to focus on the positive side of life. It is difficult, but it is worth it!

Many hugs and love your blog! xo

31 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 17, 2012

Glad your knee is improving! Mine is still giving me a ton of trouble… though I am admittedly not as good about keeping up with my PT exercises and icing.

That’s really neat to hear about yoga. I’m not as into it myself, but I think that is such a true observation with other classes. I always hit the bag a little harder in a kickboxing class that on my own!

32 kaila @ healthyhelper April 17, 2012

Yoga has become such a passion of mine lately! I have fallen in love with hot power yoga! I wish my area offered some of those other classes you mentioned though….they sound SO awesome!!!

33 Meg @ Maknwaves April 17, 2012

I hope your knee gets better soon! I also found yoga during I time I was injured during running. At first I thought that yoga wasn’t for me and was too easy. Then I took a hot yoga class and got my butt kicked and fell totally in love with it! I am about to finish my certification to become a yoga teacher this spring. Great things really can come from less than perfect circumstances :) Feel better soon!

34 Alana April 17, 2012

Just wanted to say that I’ve been doing Synergy (aerial) yoga for a month or so now and it is truly amazing. Its a little scary going into some of the poses at first, but you really gain a trust level with your yoga partner, and it becomes really fun. It also incorporates thai massage and partner stretching (hello free massage!) and that “canadian personal bubble” that we have is sort of broken down in a really lovely way. I feel more in tune, and balanced than after any other yoga class. You should try it!
P.S. your cookie dough blizzard recipe is one of my all time faves!!

35 Angela April 17, 2012

Congrats Alana, that is awesome!
I didn’t know that it incorporates massage and partner stretching. I laughed about your bubble comment. I did a class the other day in a studio that is smaller and the mats are literally right next to each other. At first I was so uncomfortable being so close to others (I like my space), but I did get used to it. I think we can be so afraid of touch we forget it’s a good thing.

36 Ash April 17, 2012

I feel as though I can relate to your story. I messed up my knee last August from running too much after my mom had passed away in July. I was devastated, almost depressed because running was the only thing that helped with grieving. It was the only way I could somewhat escape from reality. I attempted to run on a sore knee, which only made thighs worse. I went from running 15k to less than 1! It was hard accepting the fact that I could no longer run. In the time being, I found a new love for spinning, and step. I took 6 months off from running and began focusing on strength. Since then I’ve strengthened my leg muscles, toned areas and gained more confidence in my appearance. Today I can finally run again! I’m faster, stronger, and can run longer than ever before. Throughout my experience ive realized that it’s important to listen to your body, and rest, rest, rest!!! I wish you a speedy recovering and I’m sure within time you’ll be right back at it!

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 17, 2012

Thanks for sharing your story Ash! So glad to hear how well you are doing now.

38 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning April 17, 2012

Hot yoga is one of those things that has been on my to-do list for so long. I really love yoga- love everything about it- and how great it makes me feel afterwards. I used to incorporate it into my schedule 2-3 times a week. But I don’t do it nearly enough anymore! I’m really bad about NOT ditching cardio to do yoga, because I just have that cardio addiction. I still squeeze it in about once a week, but could do better… And of course, trying hot yoga would be good….

39 Nicole April 17, 2012

I had been training for a 5k that was last week and litterally, the night before the race I took my dog to the dog park and another dog ended up barrelling into my right knee. I was so upset to not be able to run. Now I have to take a few weeks off to let it heal and do some PT exercises. I have a free pass to a hot yoga studio in my town, I need to just bite the bullet and go try it. I’ve been too scared!

40 AGS @ west with flight April 17, 2012

It takes a lot of courage to set something aside and pick up something else. A lot of our identity gets tied up in things we love (and blog about). But it’s not all of us. I wonder if even yoga itself is helping you to open up and consider new directions. This is very encouraging to me, as I have only just learned this weekend that I am making progress with both my flight training and my running. Very slow — but it’s coming.

41 Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe April 17, 2012

Glad to hear that your knee is starting to feel better Angela. I am experiencing something similar with my hip. I was training for a half marathon (to take place in a few weeks), but started to have major discomfort in my right hip. The discomfort became so intense that I actually had to stop running. It’s been a couple of weeks since I last ran, and my legs are feeling so restless! I was feeling very discouraged, but realized that my body was clearly trying to tell me that I was pushing too hard, too fast. In my time off from running, I have been doing at least 3 hot yoga classes per week (LOVE IT!), and have been trying to keep things moving by walking my big pooch on a daily basis. Things are just starting to feel back to normal, but I’m going to be careful not to jump back in too fast. Let me tell you though, it is challenging to keep so still!

42 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed April 17, 2012

I’m training for my first half and there have a been a few weeks where I felt an injury coming on, so I backed off and took some extra rest days. It’s hard to stop when you really want to improve/not fall behind on your plan, but I know those rest days made a difference in the end! Good job listening to your body!

43 Ellie @ healthy belly ellie April 17, 2012

I practice Bikram Yoga (which I love) and that quote reminded me of what the teachers always say in class – the postures you most dread and resist, are the ones your body needs. It’s quite interesting to think about, but it’s so true!! Have you ever tried Bikram? It’s really great.. I’ve never tried any other hot yoga classes though so I have nothing to compare it too.
Thanks for the post :)

44 Kindal Boyle April 17, 2012

Angie sorry about your knee, mine is going through the same thing. I hurt it at the end of a 10K race and made it worst twisting my ankle. it’s been swollen and keeps getting stuck but the doctor wants me to give some time. It’s so frustrating as you know! As a personal trainer, I hate not being able to do the things I love! I am still not able to do any lower body moves or even walk up stairs… but there’s a bright side, right!?

Thanks!

45 Sonia the Mexigarian April 17, 2012

I love doing yoga. I stick with ot for a while and then fall off the wagon and my body craves it. After this weekend (the big move), I plan I doing a month of hot yoga by the studio near my work. I got a coupon that expires soon so it must be done :)

46 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 17, 2012

Aerial yoga scares me too. I never liked gymnastic type things. In India, it took me 2 weeks just to feel comfortable in doing a headstand against a wall. Now I can do them away from the wall and with 100% confidence. Just takes time. I’m excited to see how you like it when you try it… cause we all know you’ll give it a go cause you’re gutsy!
Happy to hear you’re listening to your body. It’s so hard to do but you’re right, once we do we magically end up feeling better!

47 Crystal Desruisseau April 17, 2012

Hi Ange!
Well a huge door opened for me when a door closed (I lost my job) currently I am working part time at a cafe and on unemployment until I find a job however all this time off has lead me to the most amazing group of people…I joined the running room 10km run club. Ive met many great people and also have my first ever half marathon planned for Nassau Bahamas…I am running for The Arthritis Society and trying to raise $5,000 by December 2012!! Race day is January 20 2013!! I am taking time really figuring out what job I want to do and what will make me happy it is stressful sometimes but I have gained a new love for running and continue to meet amazing people along the way!! Please send some luck my way for the job hunt and training :) Happy Tuesday!!

48 Kelly April 17, 2012

Listening to your body is the best thing you can do! I learned this the hard way a few years ago. I was training for my first full marathon & hurt my hamstring & continued to run through it for several weeks. I did more damage & had to stop running completely for 3 months which of course killed my marathon attempt. I did go on a couple of years later to finish one. If I had only listened at the first sign of pain & taken a few days off it all could have turned out differently. Glad your knee is feeling better!

49 Elizabeth April 17, 2012

About 4 months ago, I fell in love with hot power yoga. I finally found the yoga fit for me! I do 2 classes a week and my goal is to take more classes or start practicing at home if time doesn’t allow. I come out feeling like a new person. It has allowed me to feel strong and empowered, but calm and centered at the same time. Our instructor shares a quote at the end of each class. Here is one of my favorites.
Watch your thoughts, for they become words
Watch your words, for they become actions
Watch your actions, for they become habits
Watch your habits, for they become character
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
Unknown
Have a great day week. I hope your injury feels better soon. Running injuries are such a buzz kill!!

50 Emily April 17, 2012

Ugh I hate injuring myself so I can’t work out, get healed up soon!

51 Anna April 17, 2012

Sorry about your injury!
Right now I’m struggling with anemia and not being able to work out at all. In addition to just having no energy to go out and do anything, I need to get stronger before I try anything.
It’s making me a bit crazy, being cooped up, not being able to run or go to the gym when I’m stressed — but I’m making it work, I think.
I hope that your knee is better soon! Listening to your body is such good advice, I think I need to repeat it to myself a little bit more.

52 Yellow Haired Girl April 17, 2012

Aerial yoga terrifies and amazes me at the same time. Try it and let us know!

53 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon April 17, 2012

Wonderful post. I’m sorry about your knee and I hope that it is back to racing in no time!
I am no stranger to knee issues and I understand how frustrating it is!

That being said, my knee issues, which prevented me from running, allowed me to fall in love with biking and strength training! Now, back pain has me switching up my fitness routine yet again, from a strength training heavy regimen to a more cardio focused one.

It’s so important to be able to see the good in the bad!

54 Willow April 17, 2012

Sorry to hear you knee is healing so slowly. I know how hard it is to take it easy on something like that, but it really is best to just let it take its time.

I, too, love hot yoga! I did Bikram for over a year awhile back, but haven’t gone in a while… I’ve been recovering from a lot of physical things that have closed a MANY doors for me. I’m just beginning to be well enough to move again, and I’m so glad you reminded me about yoga. I crave that feeling of serenity as I leave the class!

55 Izabela (yoginiselfportrayal.wordpress.com) April 17, 2012

HI am glad you are enjoying Oakvile’s hot yoga studios;)Hope to see you in one of my classes.

56 Averie @ Averie Cooks April 17, 2012

“the things we resist the most are the things we actually need the most” — isn’t that so true about most everything in life.

Yoga came to me about 12-13 years ago at a time when I was a party girl, going on, never able to sit still, thought that a workout meant running 6 miles rain or shine, couldn’t quiet my mind or ever be really present; and I went to yoga because the girl that did my nails went. Seriously. And it changed my life. Became a yoga teacher, and could not imagine a day in my life without yoga today; both the asana practice and the gift of yoga that I carry around with me. The yoga off the mat stuff :)

57 Ally April 17, 2012

Hi Angela! I struggled with ED for over ten years, and about six years ago discovered yoga. It was a life saver…literally. Almost a year ago I left my professional job to become a full-time yoga teacher. Outside of marrying my husband, it was the best life decision I have EVER made.

Thank you for always sharing your musings. I love your blog!

58 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 17, 2012

Wow, good for you! That is an amazing story. :) I’ve also found that yoga is healing in many ways. The other day I had tears streaming down my face as an instructor read a passage that really hit home with me. I must say, I don’t usually feel such a change mentally & spiritually with any other exercise that I’ve done. I bet you are a great yoga teacher!

59 Leslie April 17, 2012

Core, core, core! When you’re walking, running, swimming, living life full out. Add a little Pilates to your routine and read, ChiRunning, so you’re ready with a new foundation. And keep eating ofsohealthy! You’re an inspiration and one of the few blogs I read.

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 17, 2012

I agree, the core is in everything we do. Maybe I wouldnt have hurt my knee if my core was properly conditioned! It sure will be soon :)

61 Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles April 17, 2012

I’ve been doing similar re-evaluations as far as fitness goes since I’ve noticed my energy levels decreasing lately…trying to give myself a rest and trust that pushing myself at this point isn’t going to help anything! Instead, I’m looking into trying yoga again, along with more moderate forms of activity until I’m back up and running 100% again!

62 Robgn @ Blueberries and Oats April 17, 2012

I’m sitting here on the bus reading your beautiful post and suddenly there’s tears in my eyes. Thank you for sharing your wisdom in every post you write with us.

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 17, 2012

Thank you for your comment, that means a lot to me!

64 Nadiya @ Milk and Honey April 17, 2012

I have recently had to take 3 weeks off of running too :( It was more due to a virus though :P Then I had this cough that persisted forever!!! So I just had to wait it out and give my body time to heal. In the meanwhile instead of yoga I was stuck studying for my exams :( But hey I discovered greek yogurt in the process and spent a lot more time with my family while being sick (despite being in a half conscious state) :D

65 Amanda April 17, 2012

This post couldn’t have come at a better time. I have been thinking about taking yoga for the longest time because like you I need to slow down and relax. I have been afraid to take it because I have never done it before and didn’t want to look bad. This Saturday will be my first class at a studio in my area (Grimsby) and I am super excited about it. Thanks for post and for making it easier to have the confidence to go :)

66 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

You will do great! Don’t worry about getting everything right…I’ve taken a lot of yoga classes now and I still “mess up” poses or lose my place in class. It’s really no biggie. You will probably find that no one is looking around anyways. :)

67 Ilana April 17, 2012

This time last year my boyfriend dumped me out of nowhere, and I went into a crazy downward spiral for two weeks, until I stumbled my butt into a hot vinyasa class for the first time because it was the only thing I could think of that would be more intense than what I was going through. The next day I went again, and again, and again. Eight weeks after that I signed up for a yoga teacher training program, and my life has been thoroughly recreated ever since…except one thing. My ex and I got back together. And, wouldn’t you know it, like some sick twisted de ja vu, here we are again and he and I are definitely in the middle of breaking up and it’s awful and bitter and really painful but now I have the practice of yoga and that helps keep me balanced, present, and most of all kind to myself, because I really could be sitting here beating myself up for being so stupid but instead I went to my favorite teacher’s class today and she started to talk about what it’s like to share something with someone for a long time, have a really serious connection somewhere, and then just have it end- and the fact that although at the time the ending feels like absolute death, absolutely the worst thing on earth that could have ever happened, in time we will come to regard it as the seed from which so much positive change grew- and even if we can’t see that now, to embrace the hardship and pain and the letting go and the changing of identity that comes with loss. So yeah, I’m not less hurt but I am much more comfortable with what I’m feeling. And in the past year my life has flourished SO freaking much that I know there can only be up even though right now I’m in so much pain.

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

Thank you for sharing Ilana. It’s amazing the transformation that can happen on the mat. I think you are right that it’s ok to just feel the pain when we experience it, instead of thinking there is something wrong for feeling that way.

69 Ilana April 18, 2012

<3 Sending you wishes for a speedy speedy recovery for your knee. Physical injuries are just about the worst!!!

70 sarah @ climbinvegan April 17, 2012

I’ve totally been going through this with climbing. Because of my shoulder injury, and my recovery time after I have surgery in May, I haven’t been able to climb; which is my true passion. Through this, I forced myself to start biking. Now, although I’d pick climbing over biking, I couldn’t imagine my life if I didn’t cycle. I’ve gotten stronger, and I’m really proud of myself for doing something I never really thought of doing. This post hits home with me :)

71 Emily April 17, 2012

Hey Angela I just saw this link (http://thefloursack.blogspot.ca/2012/03/swiss-chard-sweet-potato-feta-tart-with.html) on tastespotting and i immediately thought “wow angela would be great at making a vegan version of a tart!” so i wanted to share and inspire!

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

mmm looks good!

73 Leesasee April 17, 2012

This post spoke to me in so many ways I can’t even describe it! First of all, I am so sorry to hear that your knee is taking longer to heal than hoped, but I definitely think that there is a silver-lining there. Yoga, in all it’s forms, is AMAZING!!!! I myself have been training for a half marathon since December, and now it is only 7 weeks away… But I haven’t been able to run for 5 weeks! I have achilles bursitis and what should have only taken 2-3 weeks to heal will probably end up taking 6 weeks because I did not rest when I was told to. My GP told me not to run, and also sent me to an orthopedic surgeon (to make sure it wasn’t torn) who told me not to run, and the orthopedic surgeon sent me to a physiotherapist, who also told me not to run. So you’d think with 3 different medical professionals telling me not to run, I’d listen. Unfortunately, everytime I thought it felt better I’d get right back on the treadmill at full speed and within a mile I had to stop. So finally after 4 weeks of the same routine, I decided to listen. My physiotherpaist is confident that after another week I should be ok to finally start back running, but SLOWLY. The good news is that I have been able to keep up training by cross-training (I absolutely love spin and had been missing it since I had to give it up in Dec. for my running) and I have also been using the elliptical, both of which don’t bother my achilles. The silver-lining? My physiotherapist thinks that the reason behind my achilles injury was because my left hip was locked and not moving at the same extent of the right. So what does that mean? More yoga!!! (Not exactly doctor perscribed, but it makes sense to me as there are so many “hip-openers” in Yoga) I love everything about Yoga, from how much more flexible I have become, to how “zen” I feel after a class. I would love to try ariel yoga but it isn’t offered anywhere close to me.
Good luck with your healing, and in the meantime, enjoy Yoga! :)

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

Thanks for sharing! I’m glad you are finding relief with yoga…I hope you find relief soon.

75 Meg April 17, 2012

I hurt my hip flexor at hot yoga last year. It put all my marathon plans on hold up until recently when I started to be able to increase distance. Be careful!

76 Brittany April 17, 2012

I’m so sorry you are injured! I injured my knee over a year ago, and I still can’t run. :( I’m going to try out my first yoga studio class next week. I have done yoga at home, but never in a class setting. I’m intimidated! lol!

77 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

You will be fine! I like to place my mat at the back of the room when I’m taking a new class. I just feel more at ease until I get used to it, but I find no one really looks around anyways. Hope you enjoy it!

78 Kara A. Forrest April 17, 2012

Wow, your post today is so fitting of where I am right now with my own body and running. I am suffering from a sore hip flexor on my right side. It is so hard at times to listen to your logical thinking brain when all your heart wants to do is run, run, run. I am a 3rd grade teacher by day and former sprinter turned 10k racer by night. My heart is wanting to run off the busyness of the day and cleanse my mind with a good run, but some days I take off to prevent further aggravation of the soreness. Your post today was a hint, a reminder, to listen to your body. Thank you!

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

I’m happy it helped Kara! Hope you heal quickly.

80 Sarah April 17, 2012

your reasons for yoga resting are the same as mine but now I find I need my weekly yoga as a time to just relax and enjoy slowing down.

81 dee April 17, 2012

I tried aerial yoga recently and was disappointed, it wasn’t a very good experience. Unlike other yoga classes there wasn’t much purpose or unity to the class as a whole, it was almost all simple calisthenic (sp) moves on the floor holding the hammock. The only pose actually in the hammock was tree which was just awkward. By all means try it but a good teacher and your own hammock at home to try out the cool stuff is maybe a better way.

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

I’ve heard similar things about it, thanks for sharing your experience!

83 Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition April 17, 2012

The same thing happened to me. For years I didn’t understand why everyone was so into Yoga. My friends in college used to always try to get me to go to a class but I thought it wasn’t enough of a work out or I’d get bored. Boy was I wrong! When I moved to NYC I couldn’t’ afford the gym or any classes so I decided to give Yoga a try because they have a donation based studio here- and I feel in LOVE! And it completely changed my life- everything started to align and fall into place.

xo

Jocelyn

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

Oh that was so me too :)

85 Laura @ She Eats Well April 17, 2012

“…the things we resist the most are the things we actually need the most.”

Wow. This was such a beautifully written, thought-provoking post and it really resonated with me. I totally agree with your words above. I think sometimes it’s not just that we resist certain things/people/experiences because we might actually be scared or enjoy them, but also because they may be painful…but like, the type of pain we need to grow and persevere through them. In regards to yoga, I often have to force myself to go, even though I LOVE it and I always feel so great after. Getting there can be hard and knowing that when I’m there, I have to kind of…just, breathe and focus on the breathing/postures, and not think about life, is daunting. Wishing you lots of yoga in your future…!

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

Thanks for sharing Laura, beautiful story!

87 kristen fiola April 17, 2012

I’m pretty sure we live parallel lives…i also recently broke up with running due to knee and hip problems. It’s been 3 weeks now and i’ve been surviving via yoga…loving bikram, and hot vinyasa…they both really seem to help me tune into my body and balance…not to mention abs like whoa! i have also been experimenting with fun “granny” runs as I call them…carioca, running backwards, side shuffles…reallly anything goes until i can get to the beach for some lower impact running. I have to thank you too, because I have been using the circuit workout you posted last year 2-3 times/week and just love it! (espeially because I can do it while watching the today show :) ). I would recommend trying rollerblading too! super fun!
thanks again and best of luck with your knee! :)

88 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

Thank you Kristen! I’m happy that you are finding happiness with so many other exercises. It’s funny you mentioned rollerblading- Eric and I were just saying how we can’t wait to rollerblade around here once the weather is warmer.

89 Holly W April 17, 2012

What a great reminder post. I’ve been pretty down lately due to illness and an upcoming surgery that has gotten in the way of my running and other exercise. I have been meaning to delve into yoga while I recover from surgery, so this is a good reminder.

90 Leanne April 17, 2012

I actually love yoga but for some reason am scared of trying hot yoga. I already sweat enough as it is (I inherited the unfortunate gene from my dad) so I’m worried that hot yoga might be overkill!

91 Madeline April 17, 2012

I’m such a fan of Moksha Yoga! I live in Cincinnati, OH! How random that that’s where one of the Moksha studio’s is!

92 Jen P. April 17, 2012

Hi Angie – I can totally relate. I used to LOVE zumba and aerobics, but after I got plantar fasciitis (heel spur), I was out of commission. I still tried to power through the pain, but when it started getting worse, I had to listen to my body & eliminate those exercises. Because of this, I rediscovered my love for biking, yoga & swimming.
I’m glad you’re doing better & hope you’ll be running those marathons in no time!! :)

93 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts April 18, 2012

This is a really motivational post because I share your (once) fear of yoga. It truly is fear and whilst I can see the benefits, and even encourage others to try it!, I find it really hard to let myself go with it. I do need to keep trying, and perhaps a class is the way to go. At home doesn’t get me anywhere, that is for sure!

94 barefootandfrolicking April 18, 2012

Yoga is such an amazing gift, isn’t it? I just completed my 200-hr Hatha yoga teacher training, and I am even more convinced of yoga’s positive health benefits. I’m happy to hear that you’ve found yoga, or yoga has found you, as a method of healing :)

95 LizAshlee April 18, 2012

Very insightful post…thanks! I am the same way..a mind that runs non stop filled with endless ideas and I was also a bit nervous when I started yoga..like I wasn’t doing enough. Now I am happy happy happy when I can go to a Vinyasa yoga class..I still get to move yet practice stillness in some poses and really breathe…the breath has become so much greater to me since starting yoga! Happy Wednesday!

96 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 18, 2012

I sometimes do yoga on my own, but like you, I’ve never really been able to get into it! I’ve been wanting to try going to some classes though – I actually have a 30 day pass for Kula in Burlington that I’ve been meaning to use. I hope it changes my mind about yoga!

97 Kendalyn April 18, 2012

I totally feel your pain (no pun intended!) on taking a break from running. I’ve been struggling with a shin issue for a while and have had to take weeks off at a time, but you are 100% percent right in that listening to your body is more important. On the bright side, I’m glad it’s allowed you to pursue other activities! I started taking barre classes in the fall and am completely hooked – I have never found another workout that has increased my strength so quickly. If you have one in your area I hope you check it out. Just be careful, you might become a barre addict. ;) Hope you rknee gets better soon!

98 Catalina @ Cake with Love April 18, 2012

I am a firm believer that life is full of opportunities and if something didnt happen we have to look around get out of our comfort zone try something new and keep going!

99 Renee Buckley April 18, 2012

I could not believe what a vacation from my mind hot yoga turned out to be! It seemed so scary at first, but ended up blowing my mind. Here’s at link to the post I wrote on just how good it can be for over-thinkers like you and me: http://howtobeherenow.tumblr.com/post/18530055860/how-to-bikram-here-now

Enjoy!

100 Steph April 18, 2012

There are so many amazing life transformational stories out there about yoga, I was happy to read yours and hope that it continues to help you on your road of recovery!

Two years ago on maternity leave, a Moksha studio opened really close to my house. They were offering free yoga classes for the first week. So I went home and decided that I would go. Being overweight and always having hated those stiffling hot days fo summer, the thought did cross my mind more that once that I was crazy to go. But after finding some clothes that didn’t make me feel too self concious, off I went. I thought I was going to die that first class, the heat, the strain of the exercise, everything felt too much. But, it was FREE YOGA, so off I went the next day to try again. I remember after that, my first goal was to make it all the way through a class without stopping. Two years later I can’t imagine my life without Moksha yoga. I crave the heat, the physical asanas, the calm and being in the moment, the breathe, not having to think for an hour, just moving. Moksha has led my on a journey to being helathier than I think I have ever been. I am 40 pounds lighter, physically and emotionally stronger. I drastically changed my eating habits and now am happily vegan (thanks Angela for all the great recipes, you have been a life saver more than once).

For anyone who thinks they can’t do it, they don’t look like they think they should or can’t bend like they think a yogi should, you can! We all come in different shapes and sizes, even yogis. But we all share so many things when we enter into a yoga studio, we are all human, we are all coming together to celebrate our bodies, to breathe together, to PRACTICE together. There is something different about doing yoga in a group, give it a try, don’t think about it, just do it! And try the heat, you can’t go back :-)

101 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

Beautiful comment Steph! Thank you for sharing :) I couldn’t have said it better myself. I truly can’t imagine not having it in my life.

102 Somer Schmidt April 18, 2012

Hope your knee recovers soon! It’s super challenging to not be able to run! I am so glad you finally decided to take the yoga plunge. Running and Yoga are natural partners and doing yoga should speed your recovery! Last time I had a knee injury before a race that my chiropractor couldn’t manipulate he suggested I try his cold laser therapy. I guess Lance Armstrong’s chiropractic team uses the same cold laser therapy for his injuries. I went in for a couple treatments and ran my scheduled race pain free. I think it really works ;)

103 jess @athriftyfoodie April 18, 2012

Hi Angela, I’m sure i’m like a lot of your readers in saying that injury has plagued me too.
I have bad back and hip problems for 5 months, and the process of healing is long and tedious, I am avid runner and my training was thrown off course. Trying to prevent yourself from doing what you love is hard, but when the pain goes each day you remember that you will eventually be able to run pain-free you just need to be patient.

104 Catherine April 18, 2012

I am not sure if you live near these studios, but Kinndli is an amazing teacher! I do her podcasts and wish I could practice with her in person. It is the Baptiste Power Vinyasa yoga which is a great style or yoga…inspiring for self growth as well as for building strength and rinsing out!

105 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

Thank you, I have heard that! I plan on trying the studio out for sure :)

106 Bonnie April 18, 2012

I felt the same way when I stepped into my first private pilates lesson. What a huge difference having someone talk you through things, and make sure you have the right form. It made a huge difference in recovering from an injury last year too. Hope you continue to heal!

107 Whitney April 18, 2012

Angela,

I know people who have really hurt themselves doing arial yoga. Be aware. I love doing Vinyasa, Restorative, and of course the eliptical.

108 Helene April 18, 2012

I am a yoga teacher, and I didn’t discover yoga until I was 45 years old. I had been a runner, running marathons and I pulled my hamstring. My doctor told me to try yoga during the healing stage and to stop running. I started taking yoga classes and I LOVED it so much that I haven’t returned to running, and now I’m a yoga teacher. I believe the hardest thing about yoga is trying your first class.

109 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

Great story Helene! It’s amazing what twist and turns life throws our way.

110 Bella April 18, 2012

i tried aerial yoga recently (this is the one with the hammock things hanging from the ceiling, right?) – it is way less scary than i thought it would be, but make sure to position your hammock in the correct spot on your body, otherwise it is extremely uncomfortable!

111 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

aha yea I could see that…

112 Ellie@Fit for the Soul April 18, 2012

Oh mann there are SO many things closed up on me! But I always try to see the positive in it and see what God’s purpose is regarding that. And I’ve never been more BLESSED and happier to go with the alternative route rather than what I THOUGHT was best. One simple example is when I was about to go to college. I didn’t get accepted to my desired school, but in the school I did study, I met my now (super recently married) husband! :D What a great and inspiring post Angela!

113 CharmedYogi April 18, 2012

Take it easy, and let your body heal. I teach aerial yoga, so let me know if you have any questions. Check out this post, I recently wrote on my blog entitled, “Is Aerial Yoga Cirque du Soleil?” http://charmedyoga.com/2012/04/02/is-aerial-yoga-cirque-du-soleil/

114 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

Thank you I will check it out!

115 Helene April 18, 2012

Hope your knee is better soon. I’ve been battling with knee problem and now had to slow down. I do like walks and yoga. It’s more gentle on my knee. I felt in love with yoga years ago. Good luck!

116 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers April 18, 2012

Ah yes. I’m still recovering from hip pain from my half mary, so I’ve gotten into heavy lifting again. It’s great stress relief!

117 Stefani April 18, 2012

I ran the Chicago marathon in 2010, and then was training for the 2011 Ottawa full last May. At the beginning of May, I had to make the difficult decision to stop training due to an IT band injury. I was devastated, especially being so close to the race. I took the rest of last year off, started pilates, and TRX. I love pilates, but TRX has seriously become a new love. I’m addicted to it! And it’s made me a stronger runner… I’m running the Ottawa half next month, and will run the Philly marathon in November. I love discovering new things! Good luck with your recovery!

118 Karen April 18, 2012

Fantastic thoughts, Ange! I have been where you are too many times, but too stubborn to listen to my body. You are much smarter than I was at your age (and we both have similar ED histories.) Focusing on what you CAN do is the way to go – both physically and mentally the wise choice. All best for quick healing (and much enlightenment in the meantime!)

119 suzanne April 18, 2012

What a beautiful message – you are taking the ultimate – taking a curse and turning it into a blessing – learning to listen to your body more and more and that ‘slowing down’ (no matter what we replace running with it initially feels that way – even though it is not necessarily so) can be so healing….and that maybe that injury happened for a reason…our bodies are so wise and can tell us so much if we are willing to listen… Thank you for a wonderful post once again

120 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

What a lovely comment, thank you Suzanne!

121 Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner April 18, 2012

I have always wanted to try hot yoga! I think that’s so neat that you’re exploring different classes and seeing what’s out there. Sometimes a change is good for us all!

122 Jenna @ Free Online Yoga April 18, 2012

I’m such a wimp when it comes to working out. I can’t stand being hot. Not sure how people can do hot yoga.

I might add, I couldn’t help notice the comments from all the people who have had injuries from running. There are better ways to workout, no?

123 Helen April 19, 2012

I got injured a while ago, and I am still healing so having to give BodyPump classes a miss at the moment as their vigorous squat routines and lunges aggrevate my poorly leg :( At first I was raging about it, so disappointed, but now I am actually enjoying doing my own thing in the gym and adapting the techniques and principles I learnt doing Pump but in my own kind of way. It’s actually working, I feel a lot less restricted as I can go at anytime and I am not losing any of the condition I got from 2 Pump classes a week.

I have a blog article awaiting some pictures on this very topic, that I am going to post asap. You beat me to it! I am glad though that you are able to find fulfillment in yoga and enjoy it so much. Having to take a break from running is hard….

Glad that you have been able to

124 Jenna A. | The Paleo Project April 19, 2012

I am not a big runner by any means. The furthest I have ever run was 5 miles. I signed up for my second 5k a few weeks ago. Excited to add a third road race to my list. On Tuesday, I suffered a really bad sprain and torn ligaments in my ankle. I will not be able to race. I was at first devastated, that I couldn’t run or walk for a few weeks. Embarrassed that the injury took place. And finally, lucky that it wasn’t broken. Thanks for always being so inspiring Angela. Xo Jenna

125 Rosa April 19, 2012

It’s so strange… I’ve followed your blog on and off for the past two years, but I moved to Oakville in late 2010 and over the last few months, I’ve walked past you three times!

I thought I recognized you at the Valentine’s Day run, but I wasn’t sure until you posted about it. Then I thought I saw you at Some Like It Hot on Saturday morning, but I was chatting with a friend after our class in the changeroom as you were heading into your class. And finally, I spotted you and Eric leaving Whole Foods on Sunday evening as I was entering with my boyfriend.

The next time I pass you, I’ll have to stop and say hi. I really appreciate all of the recipes you provide and I’ve recommended your site to many of my friends over the past few years.

I made the mini peanut butter cups a few nights ago and they were fantastic! Thanks for all of your healthy inventions!

126 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 19, 2012

Hey Rosa! hah that’s awesome…sounds like we have many things in common! Please do say hi if you see me again. I’d love to meet you!

127 Mel April 20, 2012

For me I have Patella Tendonitis, which basically means runners knee and I was told to lay off exercise, that moment was in slow motion. However I’ve just had to adjust my exercise, I’ve been Belly Dancing for seven years so I get to keep doing that but I found gentle yoga has been a blessing whilst my injury heals.

128 Stephanie April 20, 2012

I would love to know what knee exercises(pt) you were doing to help strengthen your knee.
Love your site and you fun, enjoying life, attitude! Thanks!

129 So April 20, 2012

I also fell in love with hot yoga when trying to recover from a running induced fasciitis. That was in 2009, and I have quit running for good about a year ago. I now walk and do power and yin hot yoga -2-3 times a week and never felt (or looked!) better. I realized that I was not running for the good reasons (e.g. to do like others), but I hated it. Down side of becoming a yogini: Lululemon is not good for the bank account!

130 Meister, Running While Smiling April 22, 2012

Ack, I’m so sorry your knee is still tweaked — knee injuries are so frustrating and debilitating. (I had a rough case of ITBS in January, and MAN was it pesky!) But it’s pretty badass of you to let it push you out of your comfort zone and try new things, or at least get a chance to focus your energy on fun nonrunning things.

I’m really intimidated to try yoga, but bikram is really appealing to me. I wish I could just get over that self-consciousness! You’ve gone at least a little of the way toward inspiring me to conquer that feeling…

131 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2012

I want to try Bikram too!

132 Sadie April 27, 2012

As an avid runner, I get knee injuries frequently. I’ve found that by wearing an open patella neoprene sleeve on my knee when I run eliminates any issues I may have. Give it a try!

133 jen April 27, 2012

I’m an aerial yoga teacher. It’s really not that scary! You just have to trust the hammock and yourself.

134 Abigail October 10, 2012

I admire how reasonable you are in dealing with any injuries. As a still recovering anorexic, who runs cross country competitivly in high school, and has dealt with compulsive exercise, in particular with running since the age of 12, I find it very near impossible to back off even in the face of health issues and injuries. Although throughout my running career I have managed to stay relatively injury free, I need to take a break from running for other health issues. Thank you for demonstrating such a positive outlook while dealing with injuries. Hopefully I’ll be able to take a page from your book and give my body a rest.

135 Kelly October 31, 2012

I swear by yoga. It’s such a great exercise and therapeutic.

x Kelly