An Injury Update & Finding The Silver Lining

IMG 5612   An Injury Update & Finding The Silver Lining

It’s now been about 3 weeks since I decided to take a break from running due to aggravating my knee while lifting a heavy box during the move. I thought I would give you guys a bit of an update and let you know how things are going. Of course, running on an already sore knee wasn’t going to improve the situation no matter how badly I wanted to keep up with training for my races. I decided to drop out of my planned 10km races (one last Sunday and one this weekend). It just isn’t worth it to me to go against what my body is telling me. In fact, the more I listen to my body, the better I feel.

My knee is feeling a bit better each day, granted much slower than I’d hoped it would. We all know our bodies the best and it’s pretty easy to feel when something still isn’t 100%. I did a short test run a couple weekends ago (with Eric who is actually getting into running believe it or not) and it felt pretty good during the run, but a bit sore for my liking following the run. I’ve been icing, doing strengthening exercises (as suggested by a PT), and lots of yoga. It’s never fun to get excited for races and then realize that you can’t take part, but I’m just trying to stay positive and focus on what I CAN do with my body.

Like yoga and strength training! If you were reading this blog last May, you may recall that I fell in love with hot yoga. It was one of those moments when I asked myself, what the heck took me so long to try it? This came as a huge surprise to me because I previously tried yoga at home with DVDs for a couple years and I could never get into it. Trying to teach myself at home was like nails on a chalkboard most of the time and I felt like I was forcing myself to get through just 15- 20 minutes.

Many of you told me that my entire perception of yoga would change when I practiced in a class setting. Boy were you ever right. After I stepped out of my first class at Moksha last April, my perception of yoga was forever changed. I felt invigorated, calm, and happy and I already couldn’t wait to go back the next day. Everything finally clicked.

This experience made me realize that sometimes the things we resist the most are the things we actually need the most. As someone who struggles with a ton of anxiety and a mind that never sleeps, I naturally resisted yoga because I was scared. Of slowing down, perhaps? Was I worried about being still? As it turns out, it was the best thing I could have done for myself.

"Be open to everything. Your most valuable lessons may well come from the things you’re resisting the most." ~Melody Beattie

At first, I took about a week and a half off of all exercise until my knee told me it could do a bit more. After my time off, I decided to try out many of the wonderful yoga studios in my new town. So far I’ve tried Some Like It Hot and Clarity yoga studios and I plan to try others eventually. The great thing about trying yoga in a new area (or for the first time) is that you can take advantage of all of the cheap intro offers that many yoga studios offer. I can basically do several months of yoga for $1 per class if I take advantage of all the studios intro offers. I’m going to ride the intro train as long as I can! hah. After that, I plan on finding deals on Wagjag and other daily deal sites.

I’ve also challenged myself to step outside of my “yoga comfort zone” as I used to be quite comfortable with Moksha’s style. So far, I’ve tried Power yoga, Vinyasa, Hatha, and even hot Pilates (which was amazing for the core). Other classes I want to try include spinning yoga, a barre class, and maybe (if I can get over my fears) aerial yoga! Still can’t quite wrap my head around that one. Thankfully the yoga and strength training hasn’t been bothering my knee, so it’s a safe way for me to enjoy moving my body and clearing my head.

When things happen in our lives that take us off our planned course (and they will), it’s a great time to stop and think about what other doors have opened. It can take time to figure out, but that’s ok too. Do a bit more of what feels good to you each day, and a bit less of what doesn’t.

Have you ever found yourself with a sudden closed door, only to discover other open doors in the process? Or have you resisted something for a long time and then discovered that it was something you enjoyed?

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh April 17, 2012

Isn’t it funny how life works? When you’re forced to do something different you can find you really love something you might’ve written off before. I sprained my thumb about a year ago and while I still have flare ups, there was nothing more frustrating than having to dial back my workouts. But we had nice long walks as the alternative and it was a good was to get back to basics.

I WILL try yoga sometimes. Lord knows I have plenty of DVD’s that include it!

Angela April 17, 2012

Yes it is nice to get back to the basics :) We’ve been walking some nights too…must be spring!

laurie April 17, 2012

Thanks for this, Ange! I too have been avoiding taking a yoga class because, well . . . I’m scared. I’m worried since I’ve never done it before and afraid I’ll look stupid or won’t be flexible. You have motivated me to go for it! You are so inspirational!!

Angela April 17, 2012

That was one of my fears too. The great thing about yoga, I’ve found, is that other people are very much into their own practice. It gets you inside your own mind and you’ll find that others aren’t preoccupied looking at people around them. I still screw up all the time and I find that no one even notices! ha

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca April 17, 2012

I love your positive perspective on something so unfortunate. Yes, your body will heal, and it is best to focus on what you CAN do! :)
Last year I broke my tailbone after falling while snowboarding. It hurt to sit, walk, or do anything that wasn’t lying down. The only thing I could do for exercise was mild, at-home yoga, and even then I had to modify much of it. But yoga helped my body heal quickly, and it felt so good to slow down & listen to my body.
Hope you heal quickly, Angela. Enjoy the process!

Angela April 17, 2012

Ouch. I’m happy to hear that you have healed! Snowboarding can be a tough sport.

Cait's Plate April 17, 2012

I can definitely relate to this. I injured my back and was forced to do other things and re-fell in love with yoga and other forms of cardio! I love your positive attitude :)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life April 17, 2012

I found it really hard to stop running too but I injured my knee as well and finally had to look at the facts – none of my other fitness interests (yoga, Zumba, dance, weight training) strained my body as much as running did. So I said goodbye and it was scary but I’ve never felt better! Hope your knee continues to heal :).

Ashley S. April 17, 2012

Thank you so much for sharing this! Recently after about mile three on my runs my left ankle starts to flare up to the point where it hurts to rotate it and I have to walk. This has been such a setback for me because my heart wants to get out and run SO bad but I know I can’t do it as frequently anymore. I love your positive attitude and ability to search for other ways of fueling your spirit for exercise. You are such a role model for me – honestly not a day goes by that I don’t check to see what you’ve written haha. I always look forward to hearing your positive thoughts and creative advice! I hope your recovery goes as quickly as possible and i’m excited to attempt new sports with you! (Also, I just made those coconut breakfast bars the other day… I can always count on your recipes to be so delicious) Thanks Angela :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 17, 2012

Thank you Ashley, I’m so happy to hear that you enjoy the post. I’m sorry about your injury! I wish you a speedy recovery & finding new fun things to use your “free” time :)

Alex @ Raw Recovery April 17, 2012

I’m sorry to hear about your injury but really glad to hear that you are listening to your body, which is so crucial.

I actually have a very similar situation with yoga. The DVDs never did it for me and I felt self-conscious even on my own. A class setting allows for a flow of energy that comes from each person and I really believe there is a special yoga vibe that you get from practicing with others. It has helped my self-esteem and body consciousness a lot, even though I still occasionally struggle. I’m falling in love with yoga and through that, falling more in love with my body. It was hard to give up my sick, eating disordered body but yoga makes me realize that strength is sexy! I don’t practice to get a “yoga body” but to feel strong, connected, and invigorated. It’s not really so much a workout for me as it is a spiritual practice, and I realize everyone has their own connection with it, which I respect. This is just mine.

Angela April 17, 2012

What a beautiful comment Alex. I can relate to that a lot.

Amy April 17, 2012

I love your positive outlook on your injury. It is refreshing to hear someone listen to her body despite a desire to run. In my recovery from anorexia and compulsive exercise, this has been one of the most difficult things for me to learn. Thank you for sharing your experience and being such a good role model!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 17, 2012

Thank you Amy, that means a lot to me. All the best with your recovery!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 17, 2012

You have to give Aerial Yoga a try! I have zero acrobatic or dance background and I love it. You will feel graceful in every pose. It’s a hard workout (hello core!) but it is very relaxing and peaceful. How can you not feel calm as you are gently swaying in a cocoon during Savasana?

Angela April 17, 2012

It does sound quite elegant :)

Cady April 17, 2012

Sorry to hear about your injury, but it’s great to read your positive attitude during your recovery.
I have the opposite feeling about yoga – I never really enjoyed the few classes I’ve taken but I
love my dvds. It might be that I don’t have a lot of options for classes where I live, or that
I feel too self-conscious.

Angela April 17, 2012

I say do what works for you and you can’t go wrong. Although, I must admit, I’m curious to try a DVD at home and see how I find it now that I’ve grown to enjoy it so much.

april April 17, 2012

I love the intro prices!!! Ride that train as long as possible. I have been doing the same thing with massages! :) Happy Yoga!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 17, 2012

massages? Do tell :)

Amanda April 17, 2012

I used to be so intimidated by yoga, for whatever reason. Fear of not being flexible enough, not knowing the poses, just generally embarrassing myself. I finally worked up to trying it about a year ago and couldn’t believe I had made such a big deal about it in my head. Since then, I’ve tried a handful of other classes (pilates and barsculpt being the latest) and I’m getting better and better at just giving something new a try without getting all worked up over it. You have to start somewhere, right? :)

Carrie April 17, 2012

How great that you are pushing yourself to try all sorts of yoga instead of sticking in your comfort zone. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Andrea @ Vegvacious April 17, 2012

This post comes at a perfect time for me! I aggravated my right knee on Thursday during a power spin class and last night was the first time I’d tried running since. It’s really aching and stiff today and it is really, really frustrating because I have plans to run my first 5K in May or June. I don’t want to end up with a serious injury, so I am reluctantly taking it easy — I just hate it when you’re motivated and excited for new goals! Thanks for the tip on some possible cheap yoga classes — I’m going to check that out to give me something to do over the next few weeks! I also have received a coupon for 1 month of Jazzercise for $29 so once my knee starts feeling stronger, I might give that a try as well.

Ally April 17, 2012

You should totally do aerial! I did it in Toronto recently. It’s a blast – but definitely weird at first. I also found it’s not very relaxing/doesn’t have the whole ‘calming/centering’ aspect of regular yoga…but it’s fun!

Katie @ Creature of Habit April 17, 2012

I tried yoga a long time ago but it just didn’t do it for me. I have recently started thinking about going back. Just need to find some time. I have a really bad mentality that I need to be dripping in sweat for it to have been a good work out but I’m slowly changing that as I see more and more positive results from strength training. I think yoga will be the next new addition once I’ve reached a positive approach to it.

Shannon Watson April 17, 2012

I’m so glad I stumbled across this post today. I’ve been off of running for a while due to a stress fracture in my foot and the desperate need for new shoes. It’s hard for me to take breaks and I usually thrive with a routine, so I’ve felt completely out of sorts as well as stressed with my 10k coming up next month. Reading this post made me stress a little less and reinforce that I need to take it slowly. I tend to throw myself in to training hard and I’m trying to learn to not kill myself every time I train. Thanks ^__^

Liz April 17, 2012

Last year I finally gave up running because every time I’d train for a race longer than a 10K my right knee would just completely give out and lay me up for weeks at a time. So instead of fighting my body, I’m listening to it. I threw my energy into spinning and cardio kickboxing and found true workout love! I’m now a Schwinn Cycle certified instructor and I’m going for kickboxing certification this weekend! This has also inspired me to attain certification in other formats in the coming months too! I’m fitter (and happier) than ever and it’s all because that one door closing blew open a whole bunch of windows! Thanks for all that you do, Angela – you’ve always been an inspiration to me! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 17, 2012

Liz, I love your story! Thanks for sharing :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 17, 2012

I hope your class this AM was good (and somewhat restorative!) ;) I didn’t know Eric was getting into running too – that’s great! My latest new-to-me activity that I’ve wanting to try for a while but kept putting off was rock climbing, and I love it! I’m planning to go a lot more often when I get back from Australia in May. This is all indoor climbing I’m talking about though…. not sure I really want to do any of the outdoor sort just yet! Have a great afternoon Ange!

Bess April 17, 2012

So sorry to hear about the injury! I was recently training for a half marathon (my first) and was so so excited…until, while I was on a 9-mile run, my knee seized up and hasn’t been the same :( I tried running on it a couple of time, but after about 1.5 mi, I felt a deep soreness. It was my body telling me to take a step back and evaluate.

I took time to look at all the positive things going on in my life. I am fortunate to have recently been accepted to a Ph.D. program across the country and am getting ready to move! I also have a great group of people around me and feel so loved. And, I know this sounds cliche, but I feel fortunate that I can go outside, walk, breathe, and do the mundane–but beautiful!–things I normally do. Vinyasa yoga has definitely encouraged me to be mindful, strong, and present. Although I miss running a lot (and am not sure whether I will be able to do it again, at least not for a while), I am doing my best to focus on the positive side of life. It is difficult, but it is worth it!

Many hugs and love your blog! xo

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 17, 2012

Glad your knee is improving! Mine is still giving me a ton of trouble… though I am admittedly not as good about keeping up with my PT exercises and icing.

That’s really neat to hear about yoga. I’m not as into it myself, but I think that is such a true observation with other classes. I always hit the bag a little harder in a kickboxing class that on my own!

kaila @ healthyhelper April 17, 2012

Yoga has become such a passion of mine lately! I have fallen in love with hot power yoga! I wish my area offered some of those other classes you mentioned though….they sound SO awesome!!!

Meg @ Maknwaves April 17, 2012

I hope your knee gets better soon! I also found yoga during I time I was injured during running. At first I thought that yoga wasn’t for me and was too easy. Then I took a hot yoga class and got my butt kicked and fell totally in love with it! I am about to finish my certification to become a yoga teacher this spring. Great things really can come from less than perfect circumstances :) Feel better soon!

Alana April 17, 2012

Just wanted to say that I’ve been doing Synergy (aerial) yoga for a month or so now and it is truly amazing. Its a little scary going into some of the poses at first, but you really gain a trust level with your yoga partner, and it becomes really fun. It also incorporates thai massage and partner stretching (hello free massage!) and that “canadian personal bubble” that we have is sort of broken down in a really lovely way. I feel more in tune, and balanced than after any other yoga class. You should try it!
P.S. your cookie dough blizzard recipe is one of my all time faves!!

Angela April 17, 2012

Congrats Alana, that is awesome!
I didn’t know that it incorporates massage and partner stretching. I laughed about your bubble comment. I did a class the other day in a studio that is smaller and the mats are literally right next to each other. At first I was so uncomfortable being so close to others (I like my space), but I did get used to it. I think we can be so afraid of touch we forget it’s a good thing.

Ash April 17, 2012

I feel as though I can relate to your story. I messed up my knee last August from running too much after my mom had passed away in July. I was devastated, almost depressed because running was the only thing that helped with grieving. It was the only way I could somewhat escape from reality. I attempted to run on a sore knee, which only made thighs worse. I went from running 15k to less than 1! It was hard accepting the fact that I could no longer run. In the time being, I found a new love for spinning, and step. I took 6 months off from running and began focusing on strength. Since then I’ve strengthened my leg muscles, toned areas and gained more confidence in my appearance. Today I can finally run again! I’m faster, stronger, and can run longer than ever before. Throughout my experience ive realized that it’s important to listen to your body, and rest, rest, rest!!! I wish you a speedy recovering and I’m sure within time you’ll be right back at it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 17, 2012

Thanks for sharing your story Ash! So glad to hear how well you are doing now.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning April 17, 2012

Hot yoga is one of those things that has been on my to-do list for so long. I really love yoga- love everything about it- and how great it makes me feel afterwards. I used to incorporate it into my schedule 2-3 times a week. But I don’t do it nearly enough anymore! I’m really bad about NOT ditching cardio to do yoga, because I just have that cardio addiction. I still squeeze it in about once a week, but could do better… And of course, trying hot yoga would be good….

Nicole April 17, 2012

I had been training for a 5k that was last week and litterally, the night before the race I took my dog to the dog park and another dog ended up barrelling into my right knee. I was so upset to not be able to run. Now I have to take a few weeks off to let it heal and do some PT exercises. I have a free pass to a hot yoga studio in my town, I need to just bite the bullet and go try it. I’ve been too scared!

AGS @ west with flight April 17, 2012

It takes a lot of courage to set something aside and pick up something else. A lot of our identity gets tied up in things we love (and blog about). But it’s not all of us. I wonder if even yoga itself is helping you to open up and consider new directions. This is very encouraging to me, as I have only just learned this weekend that I am making progress with both my flight training and my running. Very slow — but it’s coming.

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe April 17, 2012

Glad to hear that your knee is starting to feel better Angela. I am experiencing something similar with my hip. I was training for a half marathon (to take place in a few weeks), but started to have major discomfort in my right hip. The discomfort became so intense that I actually had to stop running. It’s been a couple of weeks since I last ran, and my legs are feeling so restless! I was feeling very discouraged, but realized that my body was clearly trying to tell me that I was pushing too hard, too fast. In my time off from running, I have been doing at least 3 hot yoga classes per week (LOVE IT!), and have been trying to keep things moving by walking my big pooch on a daily basis. Things are just starting to feel back to normal, but I’m going to be careful not to jump back in too fast. Let me tell you though, it is challenging to keep so still!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed April 17, 2012

I’m training for my first half and there have a been a few weeks where I felt an injury coming on, so I backed off and took some extra rest days. It’s hard to stop when you really want to improve/not fall behind on your plan, but I know those rest days made a difference in the end! Good job listening to your body!

Ellie @ healthy belly ellie April 17, 2012

I practice Bikram Yoga (which I love) and that quote reminded me of what the teachers always say in class – the postures you most dread and resist, are the ones your body needs. It’s quite interesting to think about, but it’s so true!! Have you ever tried Bikram? It’s really great.. I’ve never tried any other hot yoga classes though so I have nothing to compare it too.
Thanks for the post :)

Kindal Boyle April 17, 2012

Angie sorry about your knee, mine is going through the same thing. I hurt it at the end of a 10K race and made it worst twisting my ankle. it’s been swollen and keeps getting stuck but the doctor wants me to give some time. It’s so frustrating as you know! As a personal trainer, I hate not being able to do the things I love! I am still not able to do any lower body moves or even walk up stairs… but there’s a bright side, right!?

Thanks!

Sonia the Mexigarian April 17, 2012

I love doing yoga. I stick with ot for a while and then fall off the wagon and my body craves it. After this weekend (the big move), I plan I doing a month of hot yoga by the studio near my work. I got a coupon that expires soon so it must be done :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 17, 2012

Aerial yoga scares me too. I never liked gymnastic type things. In India, it took me 2 weeks just to feel comfortable in doing a headstand against a wall. Now I can do them away from the wall and with 100% confidence. Just takes time. I’m excited to see how you like it when you try it… cause we all know you’ll give it a go cause you’re gutsy!
Happy to hear you’re listening to your body. It’s so hard to do but you’re right, once we do we magically end up feeling better!

Crystal Desruisseau April 17, 2012

Hi Ange!
Well a huge door opened for me when a door closed (I lost my job) currently I am working part time at a cafe and on unemployment until I find a job however all this time off has lead me to the most amazing group of people…I joined the running room 10km run club. Ive met many great people and also have my first ever half marathon planned for Nassau Bahamas…I am running for The Arthritis Society and trying to raise $5,000 by December 2012!! Race day is January 20 2013!! I am taking time really figuring out what job I want to do and what will make me happy it is stressful sometimes but I have gained a new love for running and continue to meet amazing people along the way!! Please send some luck my way for the job hunt and training :) Happy Tuesday!!

Kelly April 17, 2012

Listening to your body is the best thing you can do! I learned this the hard way a few years ago. I was training for my first full marathon & hurt my hamstring & continued to run through it for several weeks. I did more damage & had to stop running completely for 3 months which of course killed my marathon attempt. I did go on a couple of years later to finish one. If I had only listened at the first sign of pain & taken a few days off it all could have turned out differently. Glad your knee is feeling better!

Elizabeth April 17, 2012

About 4 months ago, I fell in love with hot power yoga. I finally found the yoga fit for me! I do 2 classes a week and my goal is to take more classes or start practicing at home if time doesn’t allow. I come out feeling like a new person. It has allowed me to feel strong and empowered, but calm and centered at the same time. Our instructor shares a quote at the end of each class. Here is one of my favorites.
Watch your thoughts, for they become words
Watch your words, for they become actions
Watch your actions, for they become habits
Watch your habits, for they become character
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
Unknown
Have a great day week. I hope your injury feels better soon. Running injuries are such a buzz kill!!

Emily April 17, 2012

Ugh I hate injuring myself so I can’t work out, get healed up soon!

Anna April 17, 2012

Sorry about your injury!
Right now I’m struggling with anemia and not being able to work out at all. In addition to just having no energy to go out and do anything, I need to get stronger before I try anything.
It’s making me a bit crazy, being cooped up, not being able to run or go to the gym when I’m stressed — but I’m making it work, I think.
I hope that your knee is better soon! Listening to your body is such good advice, I think I need to repeat it to myself a little bit more.

Yellow Haired Girl April 17, 2012

Aerial yoga terrifies and amazes me at the same time. Try it and let us know!

Page 1 of 3123»