Rooms & Random Ramblings

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on March 30, 2012

Sadly, the super tidy “after” living and dining room didn’t last very long!

IMG_8708

Real life happened. Or should I say I happened.

I always have good intentions when it comes to cleaning up clutter, but often, more important things just get in the way. I’m trying to start a daily habit to tidy up clutter though. I’ll let you know how that one goes…

Here is a another angle from the other day when it was all tidy looking. Boy, that didn’t last long.

IMG_2822

See the staircase to the basement? The basement is rented out to someone else and we don’t have any access (there is a fireproof door locked from both sides). It would be nice if we had it for storage, but I think we’ll be ok since we got rid of so many things before the move.

The hallway:

IMG_2823

When we were staging our house before we put it on the market, we put long mirrors in hallways to make them look bright and big. It’s a fun trick that we carried over into this place.

By the way, if any of you are interested in a post on staging please let me know. We picked up several great tips from a stager that our realtor brought in. I also have lots of pictures (after staging) from the old house. If there is interest I will write a post on it, so please let me know!

Here’s peek at our old house’s entry way after staging:

IMG_1538

The entry way was previously empty (and I mean empty!), so we added the sofa table, big mirror, faux flowers, rug, plant, and small accessories on the shelves. It made a huge difference.

Ok, back to the new place.

If you walk down the same hallway, you’ll come to a small powder room:

IMG_2827

It needs some sprucing up…I might even paint it if it drives me crazy enough. Anyone have a good colour for a small bathroom?

At the bottom of the stairs you’ll find our cute little giraffes to greet you.

IMG_8470

Now, we’ll go upstairs for a peek!

IMG_8710

This is the view looking to the right from the top of the stairs:

IMG_2840

We put another piece of art up and another mirror in this hallway.

The door to the right of the mirror is our bedroom and the door to the left is the bathroom.

IMG_2841

The bathroom is quite modern looking and flooded with light. It’s definitely one of my favourite rooms.

IMG_2609

This pic was from before we moved in. We have plans to put up art and pictures in there, so I will show you those when it’s finished. It also needs a bright pop of colour!

If you turn right out of the bathroom, you’ll come to the laundry:

IMG_2839

I guess it’s more common these days for homes to have the laundry on the second floor and I must say it’s GENIUS. I’ve never had laundry on the second level and I’m loving the convenience. No more lugging baskets of dirty clothing down the stairs.

Here’s what you’ll find inside the doors…

IMG_2765

One of the hardest things I parted with in the old house was our new front loading whirlpool washer and dryer. I cry at night for them. Ok, not really, but man do I miss them!

Eric had a vision for this laundry space.

IMG_2830

Last weekend, he installed a shelf and he’s also putting a small one on the far left side a bit lower down.

IMG_2829

It took us over an hour to pick the shelving, figure out the parts, and then find someone to cut the wire. Remind me again why I let him talk me into going to Home Depot on a Saturday? If it weren’t for those energy bites, a meltdown may have occurred.

IMG_2810  IMG_2809

We plan on putting our cleaning supplies, laundry soaps, toilet paper, paper towel, etc up there. The shelf is just low enough for me to reach on my tippy toes.

IMG_2844

It also doubles as a clothes drying rack…which is why he put the shelf a bit higher up!

IMG_2835

I originally wanted to purchase one of those free-standing clothing racks (the big clunky ones), but I like Eric’s idea much better. It’s a 2-in-1 laundry “room” now and takes up no extra space in the house. He’s a keeper.

Across from the laundry is a linen closet:

IMG_2842

Something you may not know about me (but may not surprise you): I simply have no patience for folding. Don’t even get me started on those fitted elastic bed sheets! I know how to fold properly, I just don’t like spending time on folding and could care less what my linen closet looks like. That’s also why I hang up 95% of my clothing.

Immediately next to the laundry and linen closet is the 2nd bedroom, which we’ve turned into a shared office. Well, we will be turning into a shared office.

Right now, it’s a scary, scary place.

IMG_2776

Oh and you know how I said I loved the central vac? Well, after using it for 2 weeks, I now have mixed feelings about lugging around the hose and having it take up all the closet space. I think someone needs to invent a retractable hose for a central vac…one that retracts right into the wall. Do they make those? That would be pretty fun, but only if the hose came out of the wall easily and it was on each level. Probably not the most practical idea.

IMG_2846

Our desks are due to arrive in another week or so. Right now, we’re trying to do our personal and business taxes among this mess and it’s not working out so well, especially because we put one of our files in storage by mistake.

IMG_2780

Our bedroom is also not finished, so those pics will have to wait for another time too.

By the way, I forgot to mention in my Kitchen before and after post that I’m challenging myself to stop using a microwave. Our microwave in the last house is staying with the new owners, so I took this opportunity not to buy a new one. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time now, so I figure now is the time. I’ve missed it a few times already (mainly for reheating leftovers and melting chocolate), but it is nice having the extra counter space too. I’m sure I will get used to it after a while!

Carrie March 30, 2012 at 9:24 am

Wow your new place has really come together! I’d find it interesting to read a staging post, for what it’s worth.

Jena March 30, 2012 at 9:29 am

I’d love to hear more about staging your house! We will be putting ours on the market soon and could use some tips!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 30, 2012 at 9:34 am

Oh woooooow. Can I move in? Specifically, into your shower because I LOVE it!?!? The house looks wonderful so far Ange! I love how you guys have decorated the ‘finished’ rooms. It must have felt SO good to get rid of a lot of stuff during the move. I like your no-microwave challenge. I’ve read about how bad it is recently and how much better food is nutritionally when it’s cooked using methods other than zapping in a box, so I’ve been using ours less as well. Can’t wait to see more of the house!

Tara March 30, 2012 at 9:34 am

I stopped owning a microwave a few years ago – it takes some getting used to but then you stop noticing it.

A tip for reheating things without a microwave? Use your steamer basket set over simmering water! I used to heat everything in the oven, but stuff dried out – the steamer basket works really well for most things!

Angela March 30, 2012 at 9:38 am

I love that tip..I need to pick up a steamer basket. I imagine it would add a lot of moisture!

So far, I’ve just been reheating on the stove top in a skillet or small pot, bu I had to add a bit of oil or water so it didn’t dry out (it was a pasta casserole)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh March 30, 2012 at 9:34 am

It looks gorgeous, regardless. The house never stays as tidy as when you’re getting things together from a new move or cleaning for company! HA!

And uh YES PLEASE on the staging post!

Angela March 30, 2012 at 9:36 am

Glad Im not the only one! ;)

Sarah March 30, 2012 at 10:10 am

I second that! I’d love to hear some staging tips.

Megan @ MegGoesNomNom March 30, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Me toooo!

[email protected] March 30, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Me too! I totally want a staging post! I am just starting to try and get into making things look better around here and have absolutely no eye for it!

P.S. I always read in my google reader so haven’t seen the new winter header yet, it’s gorgeous! So satisfying on the eyes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Thank you! Im going to have to come up with a spring one soon…

mc March 30, 2012 at 9:34 am

I’m rather impressed with what you’ve done so far – you should be too. And your linen closet looks pretty neat and the sheets well folded to me!

Jill March 30, 2012 at 9:37 am

Yes please, I would love to read a post on staging! Your linen closet looks better than mine and I DO like to fold things :)

Mykala March 30, 2012 at 9:40 am

So, I think it’s a little strange that this is the post that makes me de-lurk and actually comment on your site (which I have read daily for the last 9 months, at least!). But.. BUT! They do have a retractable hose central vac system! My husband is very, very excited about building a house and is slowly compiling a list of all of the must-haves. This is definitely in it:

Thanks for sharing your life and recipes with us. When we went vegan in August of last year, your site filled the void of all of the other foodie blogs I could not relate to anymore! :) I appreciate not only your delicious recipes, but also the voice with which you share them. Your site is the first thing I visit when I open my computer in the morning!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2012 at 9:49 am

omg that just made my day! haha. Awesome. I guess they have something for everything these days. ;)

Thanks for your comment, so glad to hear you enjoy the blog! Take care

Stepf March 30, 2012 at 9:40 am

Love the new place, Angela.
I haven’t had a microwave for more than a couple of months since 2005. I don’t miss it, and though we do have one at the office, I rarely use it.
I’ve gotten used to eating room-temp leftovers (removing them from the fridge an hour or so before eating) or reheating on the stove.

Kait April 1, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Interesting tip re: the room-temp leftovers! I could do without the microwave at home but at school or work, especially in the winter, its hard! I’m figure even cutting back on its use is a good step, right?

Tracy March 30, 2012 at 9:41 am

I would love to read and see pics of your staging tips and tricks!

I really like sage as a bathroom color, but be careful, my fiancé and I painted our bathroom a shade of sage that looks more like a sea foam, not the biggest deal, but it looked nothing like the color swatch.

Those metal shelf racks are lifesavers aren’t they?! Last summer I begged my fiancé (and eventually won) to put some up in a closet we have on our patio. It was kinda a free for all of things piled on the floor- now all of my cookware and baking pans (along with my kitchenaid, crockpot, chocolate melter that I have never used, coffee pot, my beloved waffle maker, etc) are somewhat neatly placed (and piled…) on the shelves. I think I was eating a Larabar and tap dancing around the isles trying to keep myself occupied when we were picking out the shelving……………………..

Morgen March 30, 2012 at 11:06 am

Ha ha I’m glad I’m not the only one who tap dances stores when I’m bored :) yes, please, Angela on the staging post!

Tracy March 30, 2012 at 2:57 pm

We could start a club, the bored tappers club! Lol.

Krista J. March 30, 2012 at 9:42 am

I have to comment on the microwave thing. I’ve been using microwaves for me entire life, up until about 3 years ago when I moved in with my fiance. He never thought they were necessary, so he never got one. It was definitely hard to adjust at first (especially like you said, for heating up leftovers!), but now I don’t even miss it! I’ve just learned to get used to taking a little extra time to heat things up in the oven or on the stove top. You can do it!

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites March 30, 2012 at 9:43 am

I don’t use a microwave. See this blog I published back in 2009

After reading your blog through and through (and you know I have viewed all your pages…like it was a book, I know, I’m silly) and wish I’d continued blogging from when I fist began back in 2009.

Nonetheless, you’re new living space is gorgeous and you deserve it to feel as warm a nest as any. You really have style and vision Angela.

Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride March 30, 2012 at 9:44 am

That bathroom is gorgeous! I absolutely love when bathrooms are flooded with light. Since it’s the first place I spend time in the morning (between showering, drinking my coffee and getting ready) it just makes me so happy when it’s bright and light.

Varsha March 30, 2012 at 9:45 am

Definitely YES on a STAGING POST!!

Gorgeous shower by the way, specially love the light – it makes everything so … so :)

Andrea M. March 30, 2012 at 9:45 am

wow! your house is lovely..i love how you decorated every corner of it. It’s looking really good now, great work. I’m excited to see how you’ll decorate your shared office. I’d love to have an office in our house to.

Kat March 30, 2012 at 9:46 am

Would definitely be interested in a staging post and where you purchase some of the items. Our house is in dire need of wall art & some accent items (speaking of which where did you get the long mirrors & the bench with all the great baskets shown in your shared office).

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2012 at 9:47 am

The sofa table is from Ikea (I think it comes in another gray-brown shade too) As for the mirror, I will have to get back to you on that one

Angela March 30, 2012 at 10:00 am

I *think* it’s this mirror from Ikea, but I will ask Eric tonight to confirm:

Kat April 3, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Thinking it’s a trip to IKEA ASAP :) Homesense and Winners are next on my list :) Thanks!

Kat March 30, 2012 at 12:15 pm

ah IKEA…thank God for a significant other who seems to like putting those 6 million pieces together…i just want the finished product! trying to find good places to pick up little accent pieces without spending a fortune is a bit of a challenge as well!

sarah March 30, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I’ve seen some really nice long mirrors at Winners and Homesense lately. Don’t think they were too expensive. We have one in our entry and with a family, it’s a nice item to have when we are all trying to rush out the door in the morning!

heather March 30, 2012 at 9:46 am

Looking good! I too refuse to fold sheets, ergo our linen closet is more like balls of bedding. Then again, I’m not real great at folding my own clothes either. It’s tedious. I (still) have a microwave over the stove but I unplugged it a year and a half ago, and have not really missed it. I reheat a lot of food in my warming drawer, electric kettle for soups, or toaster oven, which I had NEVER used before I unplugged the m/w. And I’ve managed to melt chocolate on the stove on my warming burner. When all else fails, a skillet over medium low heat will work for a lot of leftovers (<—plus keep it crispy!)

Sarah C. March 30, 2012 at 9:47 am

I love your blog and I love your new home! We have recently been painting and have fallen in love with Cavern by Martha Stewart. It is the prettiest color (smoky grey with a warm lavender hint).

Happy decorating =)

Jessica @ Chockohlawtay March 30, 2012 at 9:49 am

I feel like I can smell that “new house smell” from your pictures! Your house looks amazing! I love your kitchen… I want my own some day :)

Carly March 30, 2012 at 9:50 am

I love the bathroom. It’s gorgeous.
And yes please, I’d love a post on staging – we are looking for a new house in the next year and I’m super worried about having to stage this house, esp will 2 (or 3) dogs and 2 cats.

ARPL March 30, 2012 at 9:57 am

Staging – yes.

Also, am I the only person who doesn’t like front-load washers? You can’t add in the sock that you forgot once the cycle has started plus ours has a small hole so when the clothes are coming out, stuff always fall on the floor. I know they use less water and come in fun colours, but I miss top load.

Angela March 30, 2012 at 10:03 am

I know what you mean about not being able to load things after the fact but I did it usually anyways (but I had to hit stop first) :) Just would have to deal with a bit of water pouring out!

Somer March 30, 2012 at 9:58 am

I used to work in Real Estate, some of the biggest trouble my clients had with staging is that they could not get rid of enough personal things, clutter, nick-knacks, and family photos. The key with staging is all about emotion, personal things detract from allowing a potential buyer to envision themselves in your home. That being said, you look like you are all ready doing an amazing job! Your home looks beautiful and show ready! Oh and Ralph Lauren makes a color called Solomon’s Seal in the Greenhouse Collection that I think would be interesting in your powder room should you get the inclination to paint.

Angela March 30, 2012 at 10:03 am

Totally agree…that’s what our stager said too. We took down every single photo in the entire house. How sad! But I can see how it works. Thanks for the tip about the paint colour.

Maureen March 30, 2012 at 12:12 pm

You do have to be carefulmwhen the real estate agent wants to stage because their owns a staging company. I had done a lot of work on my house preparing it for sale itnwas de cluttered and no personal photos anywhere. The realmestate agent insisted on staging it and the junk they used was not to my liking at all. They took my real plants and removed them, put them outside and replaced with fake flowers, added a stained rug in the living room that did not enhance the harwood floors, hung cheap art and even put two mirrors in one room. Thye did not like my group of seven prints by AJ Casson and wanted to replace with modern canvases. Not only that my feshly painted walls were destroyed by the hardware used to hang this stuff, I was embaraced to leave the walls in that state for the new owners. Having said that I agree with decluttering and taking out the personal objects so that a new owner can envision their stuff in the house. I must say that your entryway was made to look very beautiful, and from pictures of the rest of your house, well lets just say I loved what you did to your old house.

Ashley March 30, 2012 at 9:59 am

Hey Angela! Your place is FABULOUS! And is soooo similar to my style! My apartment is about 1/16th of your house lol, but I am trying to make it look bigger with mirrors. I rent, so I don’t ant to damage my walls…but I was wondering, how did you get your hallway mirror up? I saw some great priced mirrors at Homegoods, but thy are just so darn heavy I’ve been intimidated!

Enjoy your new place! It looks so relaxing and inviting!

–Ashley

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I think Eric used wall plugs but Ill have to check with him

Jamie March 30, 2012 at 9:59 am

I’d love to see a post on staging! My husband and I plan to sell our condo in Toronto this summer and any tips on how to increase the value would be great!

char eats greens March 30, 2012 at 10:03 am

New place really looks great. So, since you guys are currently renting, do you have the right to paint it? We’re renting right now, and the agent would rather us not paint anything, which I understand, especially if we only end up staying there a year, but it looks SO bland. Not to mention, if you brush a bag on the wall going out the door, it marks it up!

Maybe I’ll just buy a bunch of BSB posters and start lining the walls with them ;) haha

Angela March 30, 2012 at 10:07 am

Thank you!
I know what you mean…I’m not a fan of plain walls either. We can paint, but if I remember correctly, we need to clear it with the landlord first. Thankfully he’s very easy going so unless we want neon pink I don’t think it will be an issue. I would approach your landlord with the colour you have in mind…you might find it’s not an issue.

Angela March 30, 2012 at 10:08 am

ps- lol @ BSB

Jennifer March 30, 2012 at 10:04 am

I’d love to see a post about staging! My husband and I are considering selling our home here in the States and any tips would be helpful! Love the new place, btw. And I love that your hubby has some great ideas for it!

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 30, 2012 at 10:05 am

Good luck on your microwave-less challenge. I love mine for melting things, reheating tea or coffee, kids’ snacks, there would be no way I’d want to give mine up…but way to go if you can pull it off!

And that bathroom…if you ever need a really light place for food photography when all else fails, I am thinking that’s the spot. lol :) GORGEOUS light in there though!

Janae March 30, 2012 at 10:07 am

I love my HE front loading washer and dryer. I understand the nostalgia for top-loaders, but I’m completely content with my front loading one. (and my baby loves to stand in front of it when it’s on and watches the clothes swish).

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 30, 2012 at 10:08 am

A retractable hose for the central vac would be beyond genius! Our inevitably ends up curled in the corner of one of our less frequently used rooms.

Ashley March 30, 2012 at 10:08 am

Hey Angela,
Just to let you know, they do have a central vacuum system where the hose retracts into the wall. My parents have it and it’s pretty awesome. They have a system for the upstairs and down stairs so all they have to do is carry the actual attachment up or down. Here’s a link that shows a video of how it works. http://www.hideahose.biz/

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Thanks! Someone else linked to it too…crazy!

Yellow Haired Girl March 30, 2012 at 10:10 am

That bathroom is lovely! I especially like that bathtub…

Also, very cute giraffes :)

Willow March 30, 2012 at 10:11 am

Looking good so far! I would definitely be interested in a post about staging – I used to watch home decorating shows all the time (back when I watched a lot of TV) so would love to see what tips you have.

Also – congrats on going microwave free! I don’t think I could do it… there are just too many times when it’s so convenient to heat something in a bowl rather than dirty a whole pot or pan. I’m a wuss, for sure. :P

Crystal G March 30, 2012 at 10:13 am

We have lived without a microwave for over three years. It really isn’t that big of a deal. However, I do use my pots and pans much more often. As for the linen closet, try rolling your towels instead of folding. I fold my towels in half and then roll them up. They stack nicely in the closet and look good too. I keep all my extra sheets inside the matching pillow cases. This doesn’t take long, but looks more organized because there is only one item instead of three or four non-folded items. Thanks for the tour!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty March 30, 2012 at 10:19 am

VERY cute- I love your style!!

Milk Pail by Martha Stewart – such a lovely color (although don’t look it up online, it doesn’t do it justice) we have it in our living room and a friend has it in her tiny bathroom and it’s gorgeous!!

Stephasaurus March 30, 2012 at 10:21 am

Love what you’ve done with the place!

By the way, when my fiance and I moved into our first apartment together last summer, there was no microwave and we never bought one. Honestly it was a great move not buying one, because we get by just fine with the oven, stovetop, and toaster/convection oven. People are always a little incredulous when we tell them we don’t have a microwave — they must not realize how easy it is to live without one! ;) (Not to mention we really don’t have space for one!)

Destini March 30, 2012 at 10:22 am

Your new place is looking awesome! You sound like me…folding is annoying and clutter…yeah. I just always have a million and 5 projects running at the same time. Which causes for stuff to get scattered. My mom always told me it only takes a moment to pick up after yourself. But that min can be pretty valuable most days.

Friday evenings are my week tidy ups. I work during the day and come home and evenings dedicated to my design business. So I honestly don’t see the clutter as much. But on the weekends…thats when it stresses me out.

BTW love the mirror idea. gonna pick one up this weekend. Please do a staging post. We live in a small condo while our house is being built and any tips to make it look bigger or prettier would be wonderful.

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming March 30, 2012 at 10:24 am

The house is definitely really coming together! It looks great!

Nicole March 30, 2012 at 10:24 am

I would definitely like to read all the tips on staging that you have to share. Thanks!

ellen March 30, 2012 at 10:26 am

It looks great! I’m impressed that you’ve gotten that lived in feeling in such a short time! I’d love to hear about the professional staging tips!! And how’s Mr. Sketchy doing in his new digs? My car *loves* carpeted stairs. She makes me race her up them constantly!

Audrey March 30, 2012 at 10:26 am

I love these updates! I would be interested in the post on staging. I love all of the bright, natural light your new house has.

I stopped using our microwave a few months ago. The only thing I really miss it for is heating up casseroles, pasta, rice and things like that. Soups are easy to do on the stove and veggie burgers work well in the toaster, but if I put those other items on the stove or oven they have a tendency to dry out a bit (or else I’m just not patient enough to wait for them to heat). So I end up eating some of those things cold.

Laura March 30, 2012 at 10:26 am

Your posts give me motivation to continue my unpacking and cleaning as we just moved as well.

Love the giraffe photo. Where did you pick that up? I’m trying to find jungle-themed art for the nursery walls that isn’t “cartoony”.

Fiona March 30, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I love Eric’s idea of the bar that holds clothes for air-drying!!! I told my Eric (my husband is named Eric too and is from Toronto!), “Oh She Glows’ Eric built her a really cool bar for air drying clothes in their laundry so I want my Eric to build me one too!” He agreed; yay! I love the giraffe picture too! And the long mirror idea! But I couldn’t live without a microwave! I agree with another commenter that sage green would look nice in your little bathroom! Loving these home posts!

Fiona March 30, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Oops I didn’t mean to post my comment as a reply! Sorry!

Andrea March 30, 2012 at 10:26 am

Please, please, please do a post on staging! We are going to be selling our house in the near future and we need it to sell quickly! Any help you can provide would be a lifesaver!

It is funny, in the U.S., at least in the part where we currently are, appliance stores will not deliver and set up appliances on the second floor! We had to have them delivered and then have a second guy come out and install them for us on the second floor. You are right, they are awesome on the second floor!

It looks great and I love your bathroom!

Moni Meals March 30, 2012 at 10:28 am

wow, such great progress! I LOVE your bathroom/shower. So spacious. I love the wood floors too. Great style!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 30, 2012 at 10:28 am

I have a tiny bathroom on the main floor of my house that was covered in the ugliest wallpaper in the world when we moved in (it had raspberries and blueberries on vines all over it- we called it the berry hideous room). We stripped it and painted it light blue. I LOVE IT. It looks great with the white sink.
My home office is full of boxes and crap that I have yet to unpack. And we’ve been in our home for a year and a half…

Katie @ Creature of Habit March 30, 2012 at 10:29 am

My fiancé and I are looking at houses right now and one of my major requirements is a microwave. Lol maybe I should take all these great tips and be less rigid about it. It sure would expand the number of possible housing options.

Natalie March 30, 2012 at 10:31 am

Would love a staging post!

Jill March 30, 2012 at 10:33 am

Retractable central vac hoses do exist…they’re just really expensive. They put them into lots of luxury homes now. The convenience would be pretty awesome! I had central vac in my home growing up and I definitely miss it. I live in a tiny apt but I still hate lugging the vac around (which is maybe partially why I don’t vacuum nearly as often as I should!)

Jenna March 30, 2012 at 10:45 am

I’d love to see your information on “staging”, I keep a file of tips and ideas for when we get ready to sell this house….****************pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee……noooooooooooooo neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*

thanks and always love reading your blog,

Jenna

Leah March 30, 2012 at 10:59 am

I lived without a microwave for 2 years and honestly didn’t miss it too much. The only thing that was hard to live without was the convenience of microwave popcorn, but I don’t eat that too often anyways. Thanks for the updates and I would love to read a post about the staging process!

Christine Gillis March 30, 2012 at 11:20 am

HI Angela. Thanks for your updates. I love reading all of them and really love everything I’ve ever made from your site! Endurance crackers, S&V chick peas, Overnight Oats, Green Monsters and your SuperBowl Chili are all consistent staples in my house….just last week when I was reading your post about snacks to have on hand I was literally shovelling S&V chick peas in my mouth. As for folding sheets, I heard a great tip a few years back and thought I’d share. Take the fitted sheet, the matching flat sheet and the two pillow slips and fold them all together. Use the fitted sheet as a type of “bag” that holds the matching linens. Does that make sense? Then, when you need them, all you have to do is take out the bundle that you want and voila…all together.

Tash (Dairy Free Chick) March 30, 2012 at 11:25 am

Hmm… so now you reheat leftovers on stovetop? Or eat cold?

Sam March 30, 2012 at 11:28 am

I have a friend who has done away with her microwave and she uses a toaster oven a ton. It takes up a lot less space on the counter.
I would love a staging post!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes March 30, 2012 at 11:31 am

our family lived without a microwave for a long time, now we don’t even miss it anymore! The house looks fab :)

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats March 30, 2012 at 11:32 am

Angela,

I would love a post on staging! Tips for opening spaces is always helpful!

K March 30, 2012 at 11:38 am

toaster oven works great for re-heating, I bake in there too sometimes!
Made some carrot cake oh mega cookies yesterday in it!

Deirdre @ Ladies Holiday March 30, 2012 at 11:51 am

YAY microwave free. I’m waiting for ours to break, then not buying a new one. Any tips, tricks, etc. to living micro-free- please post!

Deanna March 30, 2012 at 11:57 am

I would LOVE to see a post on staging!! We’re hoping to put our house on the market in a couple months and I’ve been seeing more posts about staging and I know more examples will be helpful!

Tonya March 30, 2012 at 12:09 pm

3 things;

– Please do a staging post!

– I’ve been without a microwave for 3 or more months. Thought I would miss it, I do not. Love the extra counter space. Tea water tastes better boiled rather than nuked.

– Makin me some energy balls this weekend! a raw energy ball recipe was like the OSG recipe I ever made. Thanks for bringing me back to the basics with yesterday’s post!

Stacy March 30, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Your new place looks great! I love the green accent color in your living room, and of course your awesome bathroom. I would love to see a post on staging too!

I can see the appeal of the second floor laundry, but I learned from watching HGTV that it can create a major problem if you have a leak! It could drip through the floor into the first-floor ceiling and really be a mess. They recommended you use one of those tubs underneath the washer to catch any water – I couldn’t tell from your pics if you have one.

Life's a Bowl March 30, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Your place looks gorgeous! And your husbands idea for the rack above the washer/ dryer unit looks like it worked out perfectly :)

P.S. IDK if I would be able to live without a microwave… Thinking about it now, I use it multiple times a day to warm food!

Christina March 30, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I’d love to read a post on staging!

mia d March 30, 2012 at 12:24 pm

We have that same laundry room w/ the same shelving on the 2nd floor of our townhouse too! I do love it! Same w/d too…the trade off for convenience helps :) I store cleaning supplies up on the shelf in bins..and stack bins of things that I need to store and I go all the way to the ceiling!! One trick that I’ve found (b/c I am short!) is to put the laundry soap/fabric softener/bleach/dryer sheets right on the top/back of the w/d.. in small wire bins -or- not! They actually fit on there and they stay even w/ the washer going.. it’s really another shelf and is much more convenient!! Hope it works for ya. (Also the bigger sizes from Costco fit there perfectly..

Sylvia March 30, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I got rid of my microwave about a year ago and it did take some getting used to but I dont miss it at all! It was convenient since I have two young daughters and I do like to cook/bake a lot but it was ugly, old and taking up space.

I now use a little coffee pot – you know the kind that is just a lid-less metal container with a long black handle and holds about 1 – 1.5 cups of liquid? I melt chocolate in there, coconut oil, butter… you name it. Its so fast on the stove top! I also prefer stove popped popcorn (SO much tastier!!) so my microwave is officially something of the distant past.

Lovely house by the way! Youre too cute with the way you set up everything so perfectly! Oh and I LOVE your table!! I seen one like it years ago and have been lusting ever since!

Katie March 30, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Oh my gosh, my boyfriend and I moved into our (smaller) apartment last summer, and we knew our kitchen was going to be tight, so we lived the last 2 months in our condo NOT using our microwave. Like you, I didn’t want to clutter the [limited] counterspace we now have. I will tell you, 8 months into, we do not miss having a microwave at all. We just reheat leftovers on the stove or oven (which tastes 100 times better). It’s also a great excuse not to buy bad-for-you microwave meals. ;)

Sara N March 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Please write a post on staging!

Angela March 30, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I agree with you on the microwave bit. I reheat leftovers in our steamer basket. Buuuuutttt, I do use the microwave to sterilize my neti pot and for that reason I like to have one in the kitchen.

Ashley March 30, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Everything looks great! Looking forward to seeing the rest. :) I’d love to see a post on staging and your before and after pics of your old place when you did staging.

Laura @ My Pink Thumb March 30, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Loving the new place!!
My hubby and I are in the midst of re-decorating/reviving out home now that I’ve been in it for almost 5 years. So with that being said, I would just love to read a staging post! :)

Renee March 30, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Looks great, Angela! And I would definitely be interested in hearing your tips and tricks on staging.

Amy March 30, 2012 at 12:58 pm

A staging post would be great! We have our house on the market now and need some staging tips.

Natasha March 30, 2012 at 1:07 pm

your house looks so beautiful! I’m a little confused as to how that shelf is also a clothes-drying rack. do you just hang clothes on hangers there?

Stephanie @ Legally Blinde March 30, 2012 at 1:07 pm

It’s looking great! I love all of the natural light in your bathroom – how nice. I would definitely like to see a post about staging; that sounds really interesting and the mirror “trick” seems like a great idea. I don’t know if I could give up my microwave… definitely curious to see how it goes for you!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life March 30, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Staging makes SUCH a huge difference when you’re selling a place, for sure! We’re struggling right now because we have tenants in a place we are trying to sell and we’re nervous that not having it staged will impact its sale – which I think it will for sure. However, thankfully we have very neat tenants who are really helping us out!

Chelsea March 30, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Staging is so intriguing to me and I know nothing! I’d love to read your insights!

Both of our bathrooms are microscopic and have white tile halfway up the wall. One I painted a bright magenta and hung a black mirror and medicine cabinet and used brushed chrome fixtures. The sink is a white pedestal like yours. I love the bold color pop!

I gave up my microwave, too, when we moved into this house! I missed it often at first and had to learn to plan ahead with defrosting things, and had to shrug my shoulders at lukewarm coffee, but I’m glad we stuck with it! There’s so much controversy with microwaves and I’m feel like we made a good decision to be on the safe side. :-) You’ll definitely get used to it and hardly miss it!

osgmom March 30, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I would go with a blue tone for the half-bathroom to give it a Spa like feel – maybe a silver sage (more blue than green). I love your new furniture — very you!

AGS March 30, 2012 at 1:43 pm

You go, girl! My trick for sheets is to fold them mostly neatly (by which I mean, my husband thinks not at all — he’s a neat freak), and then slip them into one of the pilowcases. Then, when you go to make the bed, you just grab a pillowcase sack, and there you go. It looks way more neat stacked in our linen closet. . . and no extra folding for yours truly.

Sometimes, I’m so brilliant, I shock myself. Well, really, just myself, because no matter how many people I tell about this, they somehow don’t associate brilliance with pillowcases. . . oh well.

AGS March 30, 2012 at 1:45 pm

On painting: bold colors — try a dark blue or black (makes the white “pop”). We painted a lot of our trim black (lots of time/tape/etc.), but it looks very good. Plus, it lets you go minimalist. . . no extra decorating required if you just pick 2-3 strong contrasting colors.

Erica March 30, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Ha ha, I hate folding too! My husband won’t let me fold our laundry because I do such a sloppy job due to my lack of patience. I hang what I can, but inside my clothing drawers there are big messes and a lot of wrinkled garments!

Did you keep your treadmill?

Melissa March 30, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Yes, a post on staging would be most welcome!

jeanne March 30, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I got rid of my microwave about two years ago and I realized I really didn’t need one. Although I love popcorn so I bought a $15 hot air popper from amazon. You should get one if you find youself missing microwave popcorn!

Jennifer L March 30, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Place looks great! Would love a post on staging.

Jennifer L March 30, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Also just wanted to say I would recommend checking that the dryer venting is connected to an exterior vent and not just blowing the air/moisture into the attic (fire hazard, mould etc).

Jess March 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm

The house looks great. I am wondering where you got the sofa table in your entry way. It looks like the perfect size for mine.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Thank you, it’s from Ikea (called a sofa table on their site)

Rachael @ FreshlyMinted March 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm

We have that amazing IKEA picture in our living room – LOVE those colors! Everything looks like it is turning out beautifully…

:) Congrats on your fun, new space!

Tina March 30, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I would love to read a post on staging. I just moved into apartment and need some tips. I think Eric had a great idea on the laundry room. I think I will have to do that!

Melanie March 30, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Love all the pics and info on how your new home is coming together and would love to read a post about staging!

Lillian March 30, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Hi Angela! I’ve been reading for a few years now and wanted to come out of hiding to say a few things. One, my fellow blogger, Cristyn, and I love your blog (we tried your lemon dill tofu recently—delicious), two, you inspired us to start our own (part vegan!), and three, you’ve ALSO inspired me to leave a career that has been making me unhappy (I can’t tell you how big of a deal that is). Your energy is fantastic! Also—congratulations on the move!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Thank you Lillian, that is awesome to hear!! Congrats to you and Cristyn for the changes you’ve both made. Going to check out your blog now!

KellyB March 30, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Hi
I moved our microwave into a pantry to have more counter top space. And I haven’t looked back. It takes awhile to get use to heating items up on the stove, but now I can’t see why a microwave is consider so important. Food cooks/reheats more evenly on the stove and stays warmer longer.
House is looking great. I love decorating ideas, so would be inerested in the staging photos.
thanks

Tiffany March 30, 2012 at 4:31 pm

No microwave is really not hard ….chocolate melts so much better in a bowl over boiling/steaming water….HOWEVER I did have to cave and buy the cheapest micro so I could heat up my lavender neck warmer….how else do you do that???

love your blog and your posts/pictures…trying my first few recipes this weekend! Whole Foods (mason jar) salad tonight! Very excited! Thank you!

Jaime March 30, 2012 at 5:02 pm

This is a great documentary about the Food Industry called Hungry for Change. Apparently the free preview comes down tonight at midnight. http://vimeo.com/36441130

Jessica March 30, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Man, I love your bathroom. Just looking at that beautiful tub makes me want to draw a bath and read a good book. I’m all for the post about staging, maybe you’ll even draw in some unsuspecting home decor Googlers to your delicious vegan recipes! ;)

queenoffitness March 30, 2012 at 5:36 pm

angela, forget the shower…THAT BATHTUB is like whoa! (did you just use your best joey lawrence ‘whoa’ voice?!?!) we have a washer/dryer closet at our house with a rack over the washer/dryer. it never occurred to me to use the rack to hang stuff on to dry. however there isn’t even enough room to hang anything and i store some stuff on top of our w/d in baskets anyway. here’s another creative idea. when i hang dry my delicate items or my husband’s dress shirts, we hang them in our doorways to other rooms. put the c loop of the hanger over the wood trim around your doorway and voila. heat rises after all so the clothes end up drying quicker. you can also buy those cheap wood foldable drying racks at wal-mart for 10-12 bucks. we use one of those and store it after clothes are dry.

carrie March 30, 2012 at 5:37 pm

This is awesome! Love your place!!

Jen P. March 30, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Looks so great Angie! Oh I totally understand about how life happens & the nice, clean space you have is suddenly cluttered. I’m trying to find “homes” for everything, but it can be quite challenging at times…especially when I just want to kick back & relax. Anyways, have a great weekend! Your place is looking awesome!

Claire March 30, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I gave away our microwave about a year ago and have never looked back. I use a little extra water for re-heating and tend to cook pasta/grains al-dente to avoid overcooking. I use my bamboo steamer, kettle and pressure cooker more now and in summer I’ve taken to just eating leftovers cold. If I’m out/at uni and there’s a sandwich press I’ve been known to use them too…
Your house is looking great. Keep going, you’re almost there! xxx

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed March 30, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I LOVE that giraffe print, so cute! I also love that your laundry is upstairs, I dream of that one day hehe.

Bri Carpenter March 30, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Hey Ange,
I love how much light your new place has! If we ever move back to Ontario our plan is to look in the Burlington/Oakville area as its close to family but not too far from Toronto for work. I’d love to read a post on what you learned about staging. We currently live in a very small apartment (kitchen, living area and bedroom with bathroom attached) and I’d love to know how to make it appear bigger.

Can’t wait to see the rest of your place!

Anna March 30, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I just love seeing how your home is developing!
We live with no microwave and it’s usually just fine. I think that things taste better when heated up on the stove (although, this is probably just in my mind). I think the only time I really miss it is when I want to heat up coffee without getting out a pot. It does take some getting used to, but I’m sure that you’ll be all over it in no time!

lauren March 30, 2012 at 9:47 pm

your new home is beautiful!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Danielle March 30, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I also recently moved and decided to not buy a new microwave at the new place. I LOVE it! I steam a lot of our leftovers, it works pretty well. I have a pan that has a strainer that fits right on top and I just boil the water and then put the food in the strainer and let it steam until reheated. I also find that I throw out less food since we have less leftovers. I now focus on smaller meals made fresh instead of larger meals that I reheat for days afterwards.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Love that idea…will look for one!

Jennifer March 30, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Very smart to give up using a microwave. My husband and I haven’t had one since 2002 and we gave it away when we moved that summer as we couldn’t even remember when we had last used it. We have a cheap toaster oven and love it. It can do things that a microwave can’t do! Anyway, good for you and as always, I love reading your blog. It is something I do everynight before going to bed!

Karen Wapinski March 30, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Your home looks so beautiful! And I love the giraffes by the stairs.
The light is so amazing, it’s just gorgeous; congrats ^_^

Katelyn March 30, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Since moving in to my super cute, but old, suite, I’ve barely used my microwave. Due to limited counterspace and outlets, I keep my microwave stored on top of my fridge, unplugged. If I want to use it, I have to take it down and carry it across the kitchen to plug it in! A nice deterrent, for sure. You’ll do just fine without one :)

Also, I would love to see a staging post.

Cheers.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2012 at 3:37 pm

haha that would be a deterrent for sure. Good idea :)

Dominique March 30, 2012 at 11:51 pm

The only time our condo is tidy is just before we have company or after a week when all the clutter starts to drive me crazy. We also have two cats who shed like crazy. I’m loving the before and afters! I’d also love to see a post on staging though I’m not looking to be a homeowner anytime soon. Your master bathroom is amazing! I would totally love something like that.

Dominique March 30, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Oh I also forgot to mention that I hate our microwave and I want to get rid of it all the time but Sean won’t let me. He says we need it but I don’t like the fact that it takes up so much counter space. It was a leftover from the previous owners so it didn’t cost us anything but Sean likes to reheat things in the microwave because it’s more convenient than stove-top heating.

Natalie Boenker March 31, 2012 at 6:13 am

I grew up with a Mom who didn’t believe in microwaves in her own kitchen and it honestly was the best, now I do have one now in my own kitchen, but I rarely use it which I think is a good thing. Your home looks great!

HeathersCreativeConcoctions March 31, 2012 at 6:45 am

Your new home looks great! I can’t wait till I have washer and dryer at all in my apt, but I totally agree with you on the central vac, that really needs some modernizing.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 31, 2012 at 6:47 am

I love your new home! I love the idea of the mirrors in the hallway, that is so perfect!!

L March 31, 2012 at 7:05 am

hey Angela,
One thing I did that might be helpful regarding the microwave was put it in a cupboard above my fridge. I had a large empty cupboard there and wanted the counterspace for other things. I bought an appliance extension cord at Home Depot and shove it in the cupboard. I never use the microwave except when I need to melt something quickly and my stove is in use, but didn’t want to give it up completely. I use it just a couple times a year but it is handy there. If you hvae a similar cupboard (most kitchens do), that might be helpful. The cord was just about $7.

Lesley B. March 31, 2012 at 8:15 am

Yes! Give up the microwave!! To wean yourself off it, move it at first. I put mine on a table in the garage for a while, so I was giving myself more kitchen counter space, but I knew it wasn’t completely gone if I REALLY needed it. I made a few trips to the garage to use the microwave (melting chocolate and warming honey were the two big reasons to use it), but then it just became inconvenient, and I started using my saucepans for things like that again. One day I realized that I hadn’t used the microwave in over six months, so out it went!! I feel so much better having it out of the house…..they scare me!

Katrina March 31, 2012 at 8:19 am

I am loving all this home inspiration as we fix up our own house right now for a possible future move too. I would really appreciate a post on staging (although I have no idea how to balance the need for “staging” and the ongoing “stuff” that we would still need to keep for the 2 little kids!).

Valarie March 31, 2012 at 8:25 am

I love the furniture you have chosen and absolutely love your dining table. It is exactly what we are looking for but unfortunately ordering from CA is a little too expensive.

Aloe Vera Green…a beautiful green that actually has brought out the pale lavender in our ceramic tile so that my towels are yellow, pale green and a dark lavender. It is bright, cheery, yet “spa” like and relaxing.

Staging tips would be wonderful.

Valarie March 31, 2012 at 8:26 am

Oh, and I haven’t had a microwave, dishwasher or garbage disposal for 5 years…you won’t miss it.

Brittany March 31, 2012 at 11:25 am

Love the look of the house! Would be interested in staging post for sure! Stripes are amazing for small bathrooms – really opens things up and gives the illusion of a bigger space! Check it out here: http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-space/Bathrooms/Stripes-expand-Small-Bathroom/detail.esi?oid=13528341

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2012 at 3:37 pm

wow that look incredible!

Katie Williams March 31, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Love hearing about your new house! I’ve nominated you for a versatile blogger award, come check it out: chemegirlcooks.blogspot.com

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Thank you Katie!

Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life March 31, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I am LOVING the casa pictures!!!

Kristin March 31, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Yes I would love a post on staging!!!!!!

Jacqueline March 31, 2012 at 5:42 pm

We moved into our place 2 years ago and didn’t have a microwave. Our kitchen is microscopic so we decided not to buy one altogether. Now, we seriously don’t even miss it. Ever. We have every other appliance: food processor, steamer etc. but are quite happy to cook everything fresh or else warm it in the oven.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2012 at 3:36 pm

so happy to hear that, I think I am already feeling the same!

Pam Bunting March 31, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Hi again, I saw your vegan brownies and “bio ” profiled on Healthy Bitch Daily. That’s so great. I can’t wait until your cookbook comes out. I will be ordering it for sure!

Val March 31, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Yes please, i would love more staging tips…especially from someone with your taste. Your new place is spectacular!

Amanda @ Sweet Release March 31, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Everything looks so nice! I love how you’ve decorated the new place :)

Sarah March 31, 2012 at 10:47 pm

As someone who plans on putting their house on the market next year I would LOVE to hear all about the process of putting a house up for sale: first steps, staging, cleaning and storing stuff for house views, how to have a place when you don’t know when a house will be sold. All the details!

Also, this is random but I’ve been eating a more vegan lifestyle lately. And love it. More recently I have been incredibly stressed with a lot of different things (one major one is getting married in 6 months) I don’t know if you could help me with this but I’ve began tracking calories to see if I’m eating enough(been veeeery veeeery run down)- would you happen to know how many calories you aim for in a day?? Also, I know you mentioned you’ve suffered/suffer from anxiety. As do I. Have you ever read any books on combating it or anything?

Alyne Tamir March 31, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Hey Angela!

I am speaking on behalf of myself, Rachel Davidson, her new husbandy Steve-kins, and Cameron Manwaring. We are all vegetarian/vegan-ish AND have made about 500,000 of your recipes :D nomnom.

anyways, we just made a raw cashew based cheese cake and now we are (literally) lying on the floor in food baby comas, because it was soooo heavy! So we just wanted to suggest, if you have time/inclination, that you make a not crazy heavy vegan cheesecake-ish type thing?

ALSO Rachel and Steve have been wanting you to make a curry :D so just some suggestions for le FUTURE!

you are a gem <333
xoxoxoalyne rachel steve and cam

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Hey Alyne! I didn’t know I had a vegan cheesecake recipe! Are you sure you aren’t confusing me with another blog? Or maybe I am just getting senile after 3.5 years.

Alex April 1, 2012 at 6:47 am

I LOVE your giraffe painting it is absolutely adorable and works so well with your house.

P.S you should get an electric vacuum. You just plug them in to charge ’em up and then you can whip them around the house, completely CORDLESS!

LizAshlee April 1, 2012 at 9:27 am

I love your new space..so much natural light!!

Char April 1, 2012 at 11:35 am

I love love love your new home. I really hope someday that I can decorate my home like this. For now, it’s particle board and mismatched furniture for me!

Leah @ DeLeahLicious April 1, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I am loving the new house! It makes me excited to get one of my own! :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) April 1, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Nice place!!! Very spacious!

Kat April 2, 2012 at 2:49 am

I haven’t looked at the website for awhile because we just moved like you guys. My hubby also had a 3.5 hour commute to and from work everyday so we had to move! And our new place has wood floors and a second floor laundry room like your place. :)

Please post more pictures and tips on staging!! I love looking at all of your house pictures.

Ruth April 2, 2012 at 9:19 am

I’d love to hear about staging. I had a heck of time doing so with a house we sold last year, and I’m not looking forward to doing it again (which I will probably be doing in the next year or two). I have no gene for decorating. From what I hear, though, a “staged” house is a pretty good way to keep a house day in and day out because…it looks nice!

Kathryn April 2, 2012 at 10:45 am

Unpacking is a bear! Once you get one room done another one gets trashed, it all gets worse before it gets better huh! It’s fun to see how you are decorating and making the most of the space since I’m doing the same thing right now too!

I didn’t have a microwave for the better part of of my life growing up. Ours broke and my parents just never bought one again. We have a built in one which is nice because it doesn’t take up counter space, but I try not to use it if possible. I do, however, use the timer on it all the time and would miss that dearly. The only time I have to use a microwave is to heat food up at work, but now I’m walking distance from home so I don’t even have to do that anymore!

We have a puzzle of your giraffe painting here at work (we like to do them during breaks – super fun) – IT IS SO HARD!

Sonia the Mexigarian April 2, 2012 at 11:53 am

Would love to see a staging post as well :) My Eric has a nickname for me and my messiness. Hurrican Sonia (of course), because I am such a clutterbug. I hope with the new house I can de clutter.

Misty April 2, 2012 at 11:53 am

It looks great Angie!
I’d love to hear about staging tips! One of my fav websites with home decor tips is younghouselove.com. They do some really awesome things!! And the trick to fitted sheets is fold it and the regular sheet any ‘ol way and stick the sheets in one of the pillow cases…then store. The mess is all hidden away in the pillow case :)

Katie April 2, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Hi Angela! Congrats on the new place. I am moving soon so I have really been liking your posts lately. And I am REALLY intrigued by your lack of microwave, and other people’s comments about not having a microwave. It never occurred to me before.

We have a toaster oven and no toaster, and are moving to NYC (read:tiny apt) in the next few months so I am considering getting rid of the toaster oven. Especially since we are like 95% gluten free there never seems to be much to toast.

Speaking of moving and getting rid of stuff– Angela, I would love if you could share some tips on your experience with throwing stuff out when you moved. I know you mentioned before you donated a lot of items before moving. Do you have any advice on how to decide what to get rid of? Or at least some inspiration / kick in the butt?! I get really excited about cleaning and throwing things out but then when I start doing it, my inner hoarder comes out :/

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012 at 12:38 pm

haha I know what you mean, it’s always hard to part with things!

What worked the best for me was to go through things in rounds. The first round is always the most difficult- if you’re like me, you don’t want to get rid of much! Only get rid of things you know you don’t want or need. The things you are on the fence about- put them in another pile and come back later. The second round- done at least a week or two later- things start to become more clear what you want to keep. That pile of “on the fence” things is easier to part with, but maybe you will end up keeping a few things and thats ok too.

Round three, was sometimes a full month or two later, I really discovered which items could really go for good. By then, I barely had a hard time giving away by the 3rd round! I just wanted the junk gone!

katie April 2, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I love your bathroom! SO elegant! The tub is awesome :)

I like the mirror idea, will have to do that!

Nd April 2, 2012 at 10:14 pm

A post on staging a home for sale would be great. We are just stepping into the real estate selling market and need all the tips we can get.

Savs April 3, 2012 at 1:49 pm

My parents’ guest bathroom is a nice lemon yellow– I think it’s such a nice 1/2 bath color, especially with white floors and fixtures!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 4, 2012 at 6:21 am

I like that colour too :)

Julia Kent April 5, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Hi Angela,

I would DEFINITELY like to see a post on staging. My family is desperately trying to sell a beautiful home and it’s just not working! I would find this really helpful and my mom would too!

Love the blog. Look forward to your posts every day in my Google Reader! Hope you’re settling into the new place :)

Thanks,

Julia

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Thanks Julia, I think based on the interest I will try to put one together. Just need to find all my pictures…gulp

Violet April 6, 2012 at 11:14 am

We downsized into a small condo from a family home 6 months ago. Had to get rid of two thirds of our stuff, but it was very good feeling. We had a microwave that was only a few months old but there was NO room in the new kitchen, so it had to go. I missed it at first, but now rarely do. I have “waterless” cookware and I find it works really well for reheating leftovers. I heat the pot with a tiny bit of water in the bottom (leftovers are drier) and then I add the food and cover with the tight lid. Just another version of steaming. I am pleased that I am now microwave free!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2012 at 8:56 am

That is such a great tip. Others mentioned reheating this way too. I’ll have to try it out! HOw would you defrost? By steaming perhaps? I ran into this issue yesterday and just ended up letting them thaw on the counter (frozen samosas). If you have any tips Id love to hear them!

Violet April 7, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I think defrosting has to be done the old fashioned way. In a pinch I have put stuff into a ziploc bag (tightly sealed) in a sink-full of cool water. It still takes time though. I guess one has to be more organized and pre-plan!

Jaime April 10, 2012 at 11:07 am

For the little powder room I would definitely go for a bright color because dark colors make spaces seem smaller. Nice blog, thanks for sharing!

Georgia July 1, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I would LOVE to hear about staging!!!

Lara January 10, 2013 at 3:39 pm

:D that just left me with a big smile. A few years ago, my bestestest friend and I dreamed of opening a boutique together when we were adults. We decided to hang up all the clothing we would sell because both of us hate folding so much! ;)