Easy St. Patrick’s Day Appetizer: Sneaky Shamrock Spinach Crackers & Green Dip

IMG 8198   Easy St. Patrick’s Day Appetizer: Sneaky Shamrock Spinach Crackers & Green Dip

This has to be one of the easiest green recipes I’ve ever made, aside from the Green Monster. I’ve wanted to make green crackers for a while now, using spinach for the lovely green colour and burst of nutrition. Attempt #1 was adapting the gluten-free crackers with spinach. The dough was super sticky and it was just a big flop. I’ll have to work on that one a bit more.

For attempt #2, I adapted the Homemade Wheat Thins I made a while back:

IMG 1159   Easy St. Patrick’s Day Appetizer: Sneaky Shamrock Spinach Crackers & Green Dip

If you’ve made those crackers you’ll know that the dough rolls easy and they taste much better than the store-bought version. It’s almost impossible not to eat the entire batch in a day…or maybe that’s just me.

The dough isn’t the sticky, annoying dough that you fight with either. I was happy that the spinach crackers also followed suit…

IMG 8187   Easy St. Patrick’s Day Appetizer: Sneaky Shamrock Spinach Crackers & Green Dip

I picked up this shamrock cookie cutter at Bulk Barn the other day and somehow resisted the strong urge to buy Easter stuff…(help me)

IMG 8191   Easy St. Patrick’s Day Appetizer: Sneaky Shamrock Spinach Crackers & Green Dip

As you can see, the dough is a lovely bright green before baking! It’s amazing what 1 cup of spinach can do. Imagine all that green power inside your body…

IMG 8193   Easy St. Patrick’s Day Appetizer: Sneaky Shamrock Spinach Crackers & Green Dip

After baking, they are more of a pale green, but beautiful nonetheless.

IMG 8200   Easy St. Patrick’s Day Appetizer: Sneaky Shamrock Spinach Crackers & Green Dip

Sneaky Shamrock Spinach Crackers

Another sneaky way to get in your greens…and no one will be the wiser, especially kids! Crispy but chewy, wholesome, green, and the perfect vehicle for your favourite festive dip or spread.

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Adapted from Homemade Wheat Thins.

Yield: ~32 shamrock crackers (or 64 small rectangles)

Ingredients:

• 1 & 1/4 cups (5 oz) 100% whole wheat flour
  • 1 & 1/2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus extra for sprinkling on
  • 1 tsp dried dill weed (or other herbs/spices of choice)
  • 4 tbsp Earth Balance (I used soy-free)
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp water
  • 1 cup fresh spinach (30 grams)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a non-stick mat. Or just use 1 baking sheet and bake 2 separate batches like I did.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, dill).

3. With a pastry blender (or two forks), cut in the Earth Balance into the flour mixture until crumbly. See image below.

4. In a blender, blend the water and spinach until smooth. Now pour this into the flour and Earth balance mixture. Stir this mixture until it just comes together and then gently knead with hands until it forms a ball. Be sure not to over handle the dough.

5. Split the dough in half. On a non-stick mat or lightly floured surface, roll out one half of the dough very thin (1/16th inch). Cut with cookie cutters or with a pizza roller. Gently lift off with fingers and place on prepared sheet. Repeat as necessary. Sprinkle with more salt (I used Herbamare and it tasted amazing!)

6. Bake for 9-10 minutes, rotating pan half way through baking to ensure more even baking. Crackers should be lightly golden when ready. My crackers took 10 minutes, but watch closely after 8 minutes. Be careful because they burn quickly. Cool completely on baking sheet and serve immediately. Store leftovers in a glass container.

IMG 1142   Easy St. Patrick’s Day Appetizer: Sneaky Shamrock Spinach Crackers & Green Dip

Don’t be fooled by the long directions…this recipe took me just 10 minutes to throw together! I just like to be detailed for you. :)  I was in and out of the kitchen in 30 minutes flat.

To pair with the crackers, I added some hummus into my blender along with a touch of water and some spinach to make this gorgeous BRIGHT green dip!

IMG 82011   Easy St. Patrick’s Day Appetizer: Sneaky Shamrock Spinach Crackers & Green Dip

If you don’t want to make green hummus, you can try making my favourite guacamole for another pop of green.

IMG 6160 thumb   Easy St. Patrick’s Day Appetizer: Sneaky Shamrock Spinach Crackers & Green Dip

This batch made about 32 crackers…and they go fast! My suggestion is to double the batch if making for a group. No one wants fight club to break out on the dining room table.

IMG 8203   Easy St. Patrick’s Day Appetizer: Sneaky Shamrock Spinach Crackers & Green Dip

Serve with Homemade Baileys on its own or in a Green Monster, as some of you suggested the other day (really good!). Breakfast on Saturday morning? I think so.

IMG 8170 2   Easy St. Patrick’s Day Appetizer: Sneaky Shamrock Spinach Crackers & Green Dip

~~~

Remember when I told you that I have news to share, but I wouldn’t know exactly when that would be? In the words of Stephanie Tanner, how rude. bahah

Well, I can finally share the news this weekend…..finally! I don’t know how I’ve waited this long because I’m an incredibly impatient person. By the way, it’s not baby-related news, just in case the Baileys didn’t confirm that for you…More deets to come!

Karen March 15, 2012

Haa was going to ask if it was baby related! I have a birthday party this weekend just in time for St.Patrick’s day! I ‘ll make a double batch tomorrow – can’t wait!

Angela March 15, 2012

Enjoy Karen :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 15, 2012

Dill in the crackers must be so good with that hummus too! Great idea to color with spinach. Do you think it would work with kale too?

Can’t wait for the news… glad you clarified about it not being baby news. there seems to be something in the water! :)

Angela March 15, 2012

I was thinking about trying it with kale too. I think it would work, but I’d worry it might be bitter? Worth trying probably!

Faith @ For the Health of It March 15, 2012

You’re so great at coming up with themed goodies for each season – they’re so cute and put me in such a great holiday spirit! Bring on St Paddys!

Angela March 15, 2012

Thanks Faith, have a great one

Audrey March 15, 2012

These crackers are so cute! I’ve made your wheat thins before and love them! I also have tried them with oil (using about half the amount) and they are great (just a bit more crispy and harder to roll out).

I actually think the teasers are kind of fun. I like a little healthy anticipation as long as I do find out *eventually*. ;)

Nicole March 15, 2012

I have a feeling I know what the news is… Congrats! :)

I will be making that hummus soon!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 15, 2012

How cute are those crackers! You’re so crafty and clever.
I have to say also – that I’ve made homemade crackers quite a few times, and they always taste great, but NEVER look as pretty as your wheat thins pictured above!

Oh- and love the Steph Tanner quote. Full House was my absolute favorite show as a kid. I lived for the Friday night “TGIF lineup!”

Can’t wait for the news! Whenever I say that I have a secret or big news, everyone assumes it’s a baby announcement. All in due time, guys.

Andria Smith March 15, 2012

Don’t you just LOVE spinach?? I just posted a recipe where I made green pancakes in honor of St. Patty’s Day. Who needs green food coloring when you have nature’s hidden green-tinting treasure ;) I have been following your site for a while now. Can’t wait to hear the big news!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 15, 2012

Your shamrock crackers are SO adorable Ange!! And I’m super excited about (and very anxiously awaiting) your news!

Siri @ The Herbivoress March 15, 2012

This is GENIUS, Angela! I’m going to go on a spinach frenzy now… so many possibilities!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh March 15, 2012

How cute are those!? I always forget that I can make my own crackers. I’ll have to peruse and see if you have a recipe that is comparable to those little oyster crackers for chili. If not, perhaps something to ponder for the future? ;-)

Ruth March 15, 2012

Excited to hear the news! Thanks, as always, for the inspiring & creative recipe.

Amanda March 15, 2012

These crackers are adorable! I used to LOVE wheat thins and can’t wait to give these a try. I will definitely be doubling the batch. :)

katie@ KatieDid March 15, 2012

such a cute idea! I’ve been getting in my green foods lately as well- in the form of an avocado soup yesterday and kale this morning.

Cait's Plate March 15, 2012

ADORABLE!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 15, 2012

Oh these crackers are sooo cute! And so green, but naturally, and not with food coloring. You go girl!

I want a big bowl of dip and could sit back and go to town with these!

Becca March 15, 2012

What cute and festive photos! You are so creative. Spinach pureed into hummus, who knew?

Can’t wait to hear the big news! I’ve been wondering ever since you first mentioned it…

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 15, 2012

These are so cute! I need cute cookie cutter shapes in my life for things like this.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes March 15, 2012

Love this!! I need a cookie cutter like that :)

Izzy March 15, 2012

Oh why oh why must you make me love and hate you.

Yet another recipe I’m just going to HAVE to make.

Love that I can sneak spinach to my now-picky.-as-heck-foster-toddler-that-used-to-eat-every-single-veggie-i-put-in-front-of-him-and-now-wont-touch-anything-that-remotely-looks-like-a-vegetable.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 15, 2012

haha! love that

Brittany March 15, 2012

Those crackers look amazing! I’m going to definitely try those

Elizabeth March 15, 2012

Love this recipe! Can’t wait to try it. Can I use 100% whole wheat bread flour or does it have to be regular 100% whole wheat flour?

Angela March 15, 2012

I’m not too sure Elizabeth! It might be worth a shot, although Im not sure if it would roll any different.

Laura Peill March 15, 2012

With St. Patrick’s so quickly approaching my mind this week has been so preoccupied with how I can make everything green. And often it turns to spinach as the best option. Glad we agree and thanks for sharing!

Heidi Bundles Of Hugs March 15, 2012

Okay love this! Will be making this for sure :) Cant wait to hear what news you have to share!!!

Beth March 15, 2012

So cute! And I just got a big bag of spinach through the produce co-op yesterday. Great timing!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats March 15, 2012

What adorable crackers!! Can’t wait to hear you’re long anticipated news!

Kris | iheartwellness.com March 15, 2012

Well what am I more excited for these friggin crackers, booze for breakfast or the Special News???? I would love a hint….I’m impatient! LOL!

xxoo

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy March 15, 2012

Those shamrock crackers are adorable! Everything looks delicious!

Deirdre @ Ladies Holiday March 15, 2012

Those are so cute…will try this weekend!

Hailey March 15, 2012

Oh my goodness, I cannot wait to make these!! They’re so cute! I’m pretty sure I would eat the whole batch in a day too, easy. :-)

Joann@womaninreallife March 15, 2012

These look amazing! I never celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, but I really should give it a try.

Varsha March 15, 2012

The clover shape is sooo cuuuuute :)

Just so you know, your wheat thins are a regular snack at home here.
They are ‘a-crackin’ Angela :)

Andrea @ Vegvacious March 15, 2012

I’ve been wanting to make your homemade wheat thins for a while now…I love that you added spinach; what a great idea!!!!

Can’t wait to hear your news :)

Heidi @ Food Doodles March 15, 2012

Awesome! I think my kids will love green crackers any time of year :D Must try these!

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming March 15, 2012

These look amazing and totally something I could bring to a get-together someone is having next weekend!

Christine (The Brighter Side of Life) March 15, 2012

Perfect – thank you!!! We’re attending a St. Paddy’s Day party this weekend and I was trying to decide what to bring. I was contemplating making soft pretzels but had not figured out how to make them green, so I love this option of something quick and really festive! Woohoo!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles March 15, 2012

I love that you’re fully on board with the green theme today! Gotta love that St. Patty’s Day! =)

Gulcan March 15, 2012

I am now more curious than ever! I will be going away for the weekend, and may not have access to internet. Bummer :(

Ok, it is best to guess I suppose: given that you are currently working on your cookbook, it cannot be that one. Hmm, what about a TV program on vegan baking? Or are you expanding your business? Writing in a cooking magazine? Or simply, you are going to be an aunt! (as if anything good should be related to babies ;))

Maybe I am not that creative d’oh!

Heather March 15, 2012

Those crackers and dip look awesome. Yummy!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner March 15, 2012

wow, these look really good! I love the idea of making them “green” and sneaking that spinach in there!

Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air March 15, 2012

I love that you used spinach to color the crackers! Saw someone do this technique to make green eggs and ham for Dr. Seuss’ bday, but this idea looks even better. Yum!

Page 1 of 3123»