Easy St. Patrick’s Day Appetizer: Sneaky Shamrock Spinach Crackers & Green Dip

IMG_8198

This has to be one of the easiest green recipes I’ve ever made, aside from the Green Monster. I’ve wanted to make green crackers for a while now, using spinach for the lovely green colour and burst of nutrition. Attempt #1 was adapting the gluten-free crackers with spinach. The dough was super sticky and it was just a big flop. I’ll have to work on that one a bit more.

For attempt #2, I adapted the Homemade Wheat Thins I made a while back:

IMG_1159

If you’ve made those crackers you’ll know that the dough rolls easy and they taste much better than the store-bought version. It’s almost impossible not to eat the entire batch in a day…or maybe that’s just me.

The dough isn’t the sticky, annoying dough that you fight with either. I was happy that the spinach crackers also followed suit…

IMG_8187

I picked up this shamrock cookie cutter at Bulk Barn the other day and somehow resisted the strong urge to buy Easter stuff…(help me)

IMG_8191

As you can see, the dough is a lovely bright green before baking! It’s amazing what 1 cup of spinach can do. Imagine all that green power inside your body…

IMG_8193

After baking, they are more of a pale green, but beautiful nonetheless.

IMG_8200

Sneaky Shamrock Spinach Crackers

Vegan, nut-free, soy-free

By

Another sneaky way to get in your greens…and no one will be the wiser, especially kids! Crispy but chewy, wholesome, green, and the perfect vehicle for your favourite festive dip or spread.

Adapted from Homemade Wheat Thins.

Yield
32 shamrock crackers or 64 small rectangles
Prep Time
Cook time
Total Time

Ingredients:

• 1 1/4 cups (5 oz) 100% whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 - 1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus extra for sprinkling on
  • 1 tsp dried dill weed (or other herbs/spices of choice)
  • 4 tbsp Earth Balance (I used soy-free)
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp water
  • 1 cup fresh spinach (30 grams)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a non-stick mat. Or just use 1 baking sheet and bake 2 separate batches like I did.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, dill).
  3. With a pastry blender (or two forks), cut in the Earth Balance into the flour mixture until crumbly. See image below.
  4. In a blender, blend the water and spinach until smooth. Now pour this into the flour and Earth balance mixture. Stir this mixture until it just comes together and then gently knead with hands until it forms a ball. Be sure not to over handle the dough.
  5. Split the dough in half. On a non-stick mat or lightly floured surface, roll out one half of the dough very thin (1/16th inch). Cut with cookie cutters or with a pizza roller. Gently lift off with fingers and place on prepared sheet. Repeat as necessary. Sprinkle with more salt (I used Herbamare and it tasted amazing!)
  6. Bake for 9-10 minutes, rotating pan half way through baking to ensure more even baking. Crackers should be lightly golden when ready. My crackers took 10 minutes, but watch closely after 8 minutes. Be careful because they burn quickly. Cool completely on baking sheet and serve immediately. Store leftovers in a glass container.

Tips:

IMG_1142

Don’t be fooled by the long directions…this recipe took me just 10 minutes to throw together! I just like to be detailed for you. :)  I was in and out of the kitchen in 30 minutes flat.

To pair with the crackers, I added some hummus into my blender along with a touch of water and some spinach to make this gorgeous BRIGHT green dip!

IMG_8201

If you don’t want to make green hummus, you can try making my favourite guacamole for another pop of green.

IMG_6160_thumb

This batch made about 32 crackers…and they go fast! My suggestion is to double the batch if making for a group. No one wants fight club to break out on the dining room table.

IMG_8203

Serve with Homemade Baileys on its own or in a Green Monster, as some of you suggested the other day (really good!). Breakfast on Saturday morning? I think so.

IMG_8170-2

~~~

Remember when I told you that I have news to share, but I wouldn’t know exactly when that would be? In the words of Stephanie Tanner, how rude. bahah

Well, I can finally share the news this weekend…..finally! I don’t know how I’ve waited this long because I’m an incredibly impatient person. By the way, it’s not baby-related news, just in case the Baileys didn’t confirm that for you…More deets to come!

1 Karen March 15, 2012

Haa was going to ask if it was baby related! I have a birthday party this weekend just in time for St.Patrick’s day! I ‘ll make a double batch tomorrow – can’t wait!

2 Angela March 15, 2012

Enjoy Karen :)

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 15, 2012

Dill in the crackers must be so good with that hummus too! Great idea to color with spinach. Do you think it would work with kale too?

Can’t wait for the news… glad you clarified about it not being baby news. there seems to be something in the water! :)

4 Angela March 15, 2012

I was thinking about trying it with kale too. I think it would work, but I’d worry it might be bitter? Worth trying probably!

5 Faith @ For the Health of It March 15, 2012

You’re so great at coming up with themed goodies for each season – they’re so cute and put me in such a great holiday spirit! Bring on St Paddys!

6 Angela March 15, 2012

Thanks Faith, have a great one

7 Audrey March 15, 2012

These crackers are so cute! I’ve made your wheat thins before and love them! I also have tried them with oil (using about half the amount) and they are great (just a bit more crispy and harder to roll out).

I actually think the teasers are kind of fun. I like a little healthy anticipation as long as I do find out *eventually*. ;)

8 Nicole March 15, 2012

I have a feeling I know what the news is… Congrats! :)

I will be making that hummus soon!

9 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 15, 2012

How cute are those crackers! You’re so crafty and clever.
I have to say also – that I’ve made homemade crackers quite a few times, and they always taste great, but NEVER look as pretty as your wheat thins pictured above!

Oh- and love the Steph Tanner quote. Full House was my absolute favorite show as a kid. I lived for the Friday night “TGIF lineup!”

Can’t wait for the news! Whenever I say that I have a secret or big news, everyone assumes it’s a baby announcement. All in due time, guys.

10 Andria Smith March 15, 2012

Don’t you just LOVE spinach?? I just posted a recipe where I made green pancakes in honor of St. Patty’s Day. Who needs green food coloring when you have nature’s hidden green-tinting treasure ;) I have been following your site for a while now. Can’t wait to hear the big news!!

11 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 15, 2012

Your shamrock crackers are SO adorable Ange!! And I’m super excited about (and very anxiously awaiting) your news!

12 Siri @ The Herbivoress March 15, 2012

This is GENIUS, Angela! I’m going to go on a spinach frenzy now… so many possibilities!

13 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh March 15, 2012

How cute are those!? I always forget that I can make my own crackers. I’ll have to peruse and see if you have a recipe that is comparable to those little oyster crackers for chili. If not, perhaps something to ponder for the future? ;-)

14 Ruth March 15, 2012

Excited to hear the news! Thanks, as always, for the inspiring & creative recipe.

15 Amanda March 15, 2012

These crackers are adorable! I used to LOVE wheat thins and can’t wait to give these a try. I will definitely be doubling the batch. :)

16 katie@ KatieDid March 15, 2012

such a cute idea! I’ve been getting in my green foods lately as well- in the form of an avocado soup yesterday and kale this morning.

17 Cait's Plate March 15, 2012

ADORABLE!!

18 Averie @ Averie Cooks March 15, 2012

Oh these crackers are sooo cute! And so green, but naturally, and not with food coloring. You go girl!

I want a big bowl of dip and could sit back and go to town with these!

19 Becca March 15, 2012

What cute and festive photos! You are so creative. Spinach pureed into hummus, who knew?

Can’t wait to hear the big news! I’ve been wondering ever since you first mentioned it…

20 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 15, 2012

These are so cute! I need cute cookie cutter shapes in my life for things like this.

21 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes March 15, 2012

Love this!! I need a cookie cutter like that :)

22 Izzy March 15, 2012

Oh why oh why must you make me love and hate you.

Yet another recipe I’m just going to HAVE to make.

Love that I can sneak spinach to my now-picky.-as-heck-foster-toddler-that-used-to-eat-every-single-veggie-i-put-in-front-of-him-and-now-wont-touch-anything-that-remotely-looks-like-a-vegetable.

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 15, 2012

haha! love that

24 Brittany March 15, 2012

Those crackers look amazing! I’m going to definitely try those

25 Elizabeth March 15, 2012

Love this recipe! Can’t wait to try it. Can I use 100% whole wheat bread flour or does it have to be regular 100% whole wheat flour?

26 Angela March 15, 2012

I’m not too sure Elizabeth! It might be worth a shot, although Im not sure if it would roll any different.

27 Laura Peill March 15, 2012

With St. Patrick’s so quickly approaching my mind this week has been so preoccupied with how I can make everything green. And often it turns to spinach as the best option. Glad we agree and thanks for sharing!

28 Heidi Bundles Of Hugs March 15, 2012

Okay love this! Will be making this for sure :) Cant wait to hear what news you have to share!!!

29 Beth March 15, 2012

So cute! And I just got a big bag of spinach through the produce co-op yesterday. Great timing!

30 Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats March 15, 2012

What adorable crackers!! Can’t wait to hear you’re long anticipated news!

31 Kris | iheartwellness.com March 15, 2012

Well what am I more excited for these friggin crackers, booze for breakfast or the Special News???? I would love a hint….I’m impatient! LOL!

xxoo

32 Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy March 15, 2012

Those shamrock crackers are adorable! Everything looks delicious!

33 Deirdre @ Ladies Holiday March 15, 2012

Those are so cute…will try this weekend!

34 Hailey March 15, 2012

Oh my goodness, I cannot wait to make these!! They’re so cute! I’m pretty sure I would eat the whole batch in a day too, easy. :-)

35 Joann@womaninreallife March 15, 2012

These look amazing! I never celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, but I really should give it a try.

36 Varsha March 15, 2012

The clover shape is sooo cuuuuute :)

Just so you know, your wheat thins are a regular snack at home here.
They are ‘a-crackin’ Angela :)

37 Andrea @ Vegvacious March 15, 2012

I’ve been wanting to make your homemade wheat thins for a while now…I love that you added spinach; what a great idea!!!!

Can’t wait to hear your news :)

38 Heidi @ Food Doodles March 15, 2012

Awesome! I think my kids will love green crackers any time of year :D Must try these!

39 Grace @ Healthy Dreaming March 15, 2012

These look amazing and totally something I could bring to a get-together someone is having next weekend!

40 Christine (The Brighter Side of Life) March 15, 2012

Perfect – thank you!!! We’re attending a St. Paddy’s Day party this weekend and I was trying to decide what to bring. I was contemplating making soft pretzels but had not figured out how to make them green, so I love this option of something quick and really festive! Woohoo!

41 Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles March 15, 2012

I love that you’re fully on board with the green theme today! Gotta love that St. Patty’s Day! =)

42 Gulcan March 15, 2012

I am now more curious than ever! I will be going away for the weekend, and may not have access to internet. Bummer :(

Ok, it is best to guess I suppose: given that you are currently working on your cookbook, it cannot be that one. Hmm, what about a TV program on vegan baking? Or are you expanding your business? Writing in a cooking magazine? Or simply, you are going to be an aunt! (as if anything good should be related to babies ;))

Maybe I am not that creative d’oh!

43 Heather March 15, 2012

Those crackers and dip look awesome. Yummy!

44 Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner March 15, 2012

wow, these look really good! I love the idea of making them “green” and sneaking that spinach in there!

45 Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air March 15, 2012

I love that you used spinach to color the crackers! Saw someone do this technique to make green eggs and ham for Dr. Seuss’ bday, but this idea looks even better. Yum!

46 Andrea (Our Lighter Footsteps) March 15, 2012

I can’t wait to hear the news…I hope that it is cookbook related :)

I also cannot wait until you perfect a gluten free recipe for the green crackers…I suppose that I could start on doing it myself but your just so much better at it :)

47 Andrea (Our Lighter Footsteps) March 15, 2012

ummmm, I meant you’re so much better…I am my own grammar police ;) he he

48 Yellow Haired Girl March 15, 2012

I love this!!! And I love Bulk Barn, too ;)

49 Ellie March 15, 2012

I am all about adding spinach to anything and everything! I recently made vegan brownies and added spinach to the peppermint coconut butter frosting i made to make it Green :)

50 Jasper @ crunchylittlebites March 15, 2012

it’s not possible to make as much cute with green as you do Angela. seriously. cute to the bone

51 Anna D March 15, 2012

Making these this weekend! YUM, thanks Angela!

Also, I’m surprised it’s not baby-related news–all my favorite bloggers keep getting pregnant!! Hopefully a book for me to pre-order?? :)

52 brytnie March 15, 2012

thank you! i made these and my son and husband loved them! i used a star cookie cutter, i didn’t have a ute shamrock ;(. but i used spelt flour (wheat allergies) and stevia (sugar allergies) and they were great. i am going to make a double batch tonight for our playgroup tomorrow since this batch will disapear. thank you! brytnie

53 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2012

glad to hear that! :)

54 Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie March 15, 2012

Can’t wait to hear the news! And dying to hear about the surprise news :)

55 Amanda March 15, 2012

Your creativity never ceases to amaze me!

56 Shannon March 15, 2012

Hi Angela! I hadn’t been by in quite a while and am catching up on your blog! It looks great, and congratulations on the cookbook! Just signed up for the newsletter :)

57 Molly @ Oh Gnome! March 15, 2012

Looks delicious! I don’t have any dill though, do you have any other spice ideas?

58 Lindsay Ford March 15, 2012

So a cute idea! So much healthier than drinking the day away with unhealthy snacks. So excited to try these. I’m nervous though I always seem to skip a step when cooking. If they turn out good I’ll post them on my vegan blog. Thanks!

the-fit-chicks.com

59 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! March 15, 2012

Those look SOOOO good! And I love that you made them shamrocks!! So cool!!!

60 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! March 15, 2012

Those look SOOOO good! And I love that you made them shamrocks!! So cool!!!

61 TeenyLittleSuperChef March 15, 2012

That’s funny you had to add the disclaimer at the end about your news not being baby-related. It seems everyone and their mother is getting knocked up here in the blog world. I can’t wait to hear what the good news is. And thanks for this fun recipe for St. Patty’s Day crackers. They sound so cool and a great way to get in more spinach. I love the new design on your title page too. Really pretty and vibrant :)

62 Hayley March 15, 2012

Ooh so excited for the news. I have been following your incredible journey since the day you started your blog, on Halloween. Are you opening a restaurant or bakery?!

63 Jacqueline@digintobooks March 15, 2012

I can’t wait for the news!!! This is so hard waiting!! Love the crackers-such a cute way to use a cookie cutter!

64 Moni'sMeals March 15, 2012

Leave it to you to make the most adorable yet extremely healthy holiday food for St Patti’s. Oh I wish you would just cook for me. haha! :)

So brilliant!

65 Willow March 15, 2012

Those crackers look so good! I still have yet to make your original wheat thins recipe, but they sound so incredible… I love wheat thins, but never let myself by them – definitely on my to-make list!
And I’m so excited to hear your news! I wait with bated breath. :)

66 Holly March 15, 2012

Hi, Do you have a recipe for the Dark Chocolate Coconut Coffee Macaroons mentioned in this post? :)

67 Sarah @ The Healthy Diva March 16, 2012

loving the st patricks day ideas and can’t wait to hear the big reveal!

68 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 16, 2012

How adorable! I just love making crackers!

69 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 16, 2012

Great minds think alike, I tell ya! I made green crackers last weekend from spinach. Only difference is, yours are pretty. Mine were horrible looking. I didn’t think to use a cookie cutter so just did them in squares. Needless to say, they didn’t make the blog this week! Can’t wait to hear your news!

70 lisa r. March 16, 2012

do you think i can add kale instead of spinach?

71 Taylor @ Nuts for Apples March 16, 2012

Who needs artificial coloring when you have spinach?! Love this recipe, definitely going to try it this weekend!

72 Stephanie @ Legally Blinde March 16, 2012

Those shamrock crackers are so adorable! I’ve been meaning to try your homemade wheat thins, but now I really want to go buy a shamrock cookie cutter and try this version as soon as possible! Excited for your news :)

73 Colleen N. March 16, 2012

Love these! So festive! I made a vegan Irish soda bread today and brought it in to work. People are going crazy for it! It was a simple 1 to 1 substitition. Unsweetened Almond milk for the buttermilk and earthbalance for the butter! Turned out great :)

74 Jennifer March 16, 2012

What do you think we need to do to make the gluten-free crackers to work? I have Bob’s Red Mill flour mixture and xanthum gum… What did you use? The crackers look so great and I’ll make the wheat ones for my guests but i want to eat them tooooo! The spinach was genius!

75 Margaret March 16, 2012

Love the green crackers for St. Patrick’s day.
Will you save some of those for me next week.
Do you think I can guess your surprise?????

76 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes March 16, 2012

These looks so amazing! I love the spinach in there, love the color it adds and I bet it tastes great! I’m craving this now, better go make it. :)

77 Jessica March 16, 2012

Any thoughts on how these might freeze?

78 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2012

Im not sure, sorry about that.

79 Diana @ frontyardfoodie March 16, 2012

So delicious and adorable! This makes me want to get all kinds of cracker cutters.

I LOVE the green hummus idea! Hummus is one of the best things in the world so why not make it green?!

80 Amber March 16, 2012

What fantastic mean green vegan machine idea you are sharing! I’m going to be dipping all sorts of stuff in that green hummus tomorrow, I reckon. Cheers!!

81 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 16, 2012

Love these!!! I’m always looking for ways to sneak in extra greens into my families food. This is perfect!

Maybe I’ll have hubby make these for me tomorrow instead of a birthday cake? On second thought, I’ll have him make the crackers AND a birthday cake!

82 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 16, 2012

Those are so cute! What a great way to eat your greens! :D

83 Brittany March 16, 2012

These look awesome. I’ve never made homemade crackers but I’ve always wanted to try. I’ll have to try one of your recipes.

Can’t wait for the news!

84 Jocelyn March 17, 2012

Can’t wait to hear this news :P

I’m making your easy avocado pasta tonight…hoping I will love it :P

85 Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo March 17, 2012

The crackers are so cute! I love this idea. I’ve currently had kiwi today, so I’m counting that towards some of my “green.”

Excited to hear the news!

86 sarah@www.sarah-otoole.com March 17, 2012

Omg these are so cute! Its 8 am and I want spinach cracker and gaucamole:0 Thanks Angela

87 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) March 17, 2012

Can’t wait to hear the news!!!!!!!!!!!!

88 Jo March 17, 2012

So YUMMY!! Congrats on your new home-enjoy the ride!!! ;)

89 Zestful Lou March 17, 2012

I made hummus with spinach and I had to keep adding more and more spinach to get it as bright green as yours! Tastes awesome though. And the color makes me smile.

90 Katrina March 17, 2012

I made the shamrock crackers and green hummus today and we loved them both! Thank you!!! Btw, we are obsessing over the blueberry banana pie vegan overnight oats right now – ridiculously delish!! I just put another batch in the fridge for tomorrow morning!!

91 Betsy @ BMoore Healthy March 18, 2012

How adorable! Love this idea!

92 Angel March 19, 2012

Ok, so I think it is only appropriate that I finally leave a comment to say… I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR BLOG! Seriously, you make being vegan very easy and extremely delicious. I switched to a vegan diet in July and luckily I found your blog shortly after because it made the transition extremely easy. I look at your blog daily to see what will be on my menu at home. I’ve tried other recipies from other blogs but yours are consistently incredible. Every single recipe is delicious! There is no going wrong. With that said, I thank you because you have made a huge impact on my life as well as my family’s! Who knew a complete stranger could do that? ;)

93 meg jones wall March 20, 2012

these are absolutely adorable! what a great idea :) thanks!

94 Ashley March 20, 2012

Love the addition of the spinach! Going to make these ASAP! Thanks :)

95 annie B September 11, 2012

I so have to try these for Christmas with trees & wreath cutters!

96 Holly February 16, 2013

These crackers look amazing and I am just dying to make them! My only question (which may sound really stupid) is what Earth Balance do you use? Is it the baking sticks? I clicked on the link for it and it took me to a website with a whole slew of stuff (like milk and shortening) and I just want to make sure I am buying the correct thing when I go to the store. I’m not vegan so I’m not too sure what I’m looking at when I see some of your ingredient lists, hehe. Thanks and I love your website!

97 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 18, 2013

Hi Holly, I usually use the soy-free earth balance in the red tub. Any of them will work though. Enjoy!

98 Ashley March 13, 2013

What is Earth Balance? Does this recipe call for a butter product or a milk product? I found the website online but am unfamiliar with what this recipe is calling for exactly. I would love to make these for this weekend! Thank you :)

99 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 13, 2013

Hey Ashley! Earth Balance is a vegan butter substitute, you can read more here: I use the soy-free in the tub http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/product/soy-free-buttery-spread/

100 Ashley March 15, 2013

Thank you!!! I am making them tonight. :)

101 Ashley March 15, 2013

I found the dough really moist, has anyone else had this problem? I found I had to add quite a bit more flour (more than 1/2 cup). Overall, the crackers came out great and look fantastic. I am going to serve them with guacamole at a St. Patrick’s Day party tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe!

102 Sara March 13, 2014

How much hummus and spinach did you use for the dip?

103 Julia March 24, 2014

Just made these with fresh spinach and basil and margarine and they were perfect!! Thanks for sharing