Cardamom Almond Pear Crisp for Two

Happy Friday!

Just a quick note about the pancake recipe I posted yesterday. I tried the pancakes this morning using a couple different methods after a reader mentioned the pancakes stuck to the pan after making a couple small substitutions. I went back into the kitchen to see if I could figure out why the pancakes might have stuck to the pan for someone else. For the first trial, I used an old skillet that wasn’t non-stick. The pancakes completely stuck to the skillet, just as I suspected. I also tried using my non-stick skillet, but I didn’t grease it first, and the pancakes stuck more than I’d like.

My suggestion is to use a non-stick pan and lightly grease it with oil before making the pancakes. I’ve made 5 batches this way and I didn’t have any problems with sticking. I’m also not sure how modifications to the recipe will hold up, such as flour substitutions, so I suggest following the recipe as written. It’s really anyone’s guess when changing a vegan & GF recipe!

In other news, I have a cute, little dessert for you today that is a cinch to whip up.

IMG 8048   Cardamom Almond Pear Crisp for Two

I had a couple pears on their last legs and thought it would be fun to make a 2-serving pear crisp in tiny little 8-oz ramekins.

Sometimes it’s nice to make a smaller portion when you don’t want to spend a lot of time prepping ingredients. It’s just enough to satisfy the sweet tooth!

IMG 4603   Cardamom Almond Pear Crisp for Two

Using my Strawberry Apple Breakfast Crisp (image above), I cut it down to make just two servings and then swapped out the fruit and spices. The result is a healthy pear crisp that is just sweet enough without going overboard.

IMG 8039   Cardamom Almond Pear Crisp for Two

Cardamom Almond Pear Crisp for Two

This crisp is flourless, all-natural, low in sugar, and vegan. I love the chewy topping thanks to the almond mixture. To make this gluten-free, use certified gluten-free oats.

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Adapted from my Flourless Strawberry Apple Breakfast Crisp

for the fruit mixture:

• 2 cups chopped pears, unpeeled (about 2)
  • 1 tbsp Sucanat or brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
  • 1/4 tsp ground cardamom (or cinnamon)
  • 1 vanilla bean, scraped (or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)

for the topping:

• 1 tsp coconut oil, melted (or olive oil)
  • 3 tbsp almonds
  • 2 tbsp rolled oats
  • 1 tbsp Sucanat or brown sugar
  • 1 tsp pure maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
  • pinch of salt

1. Preheat oven to 400F and grease two (8-oz) ramekin dishes with oil.

2. In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the fruit mixture ingredients (chopped pears, sugar, cornstarch, cardamom/cinnamon, and vanilla).

3. In a processor (I used my mini processor), process the almonds until finely chopped. Now add in the oats and process just until chopped. If you don’t have a processor, you can probably do this by hand.

4. In a small bowl, melt the coconut oil in the microwave. Now stir in the rest of the topping ingredients. Add 2 tablespoons of the topping mixture into fruit mixture and stir until combined. Divide the fruit mixture into ramekins. Sprinkle the rest of the topping on top of the fruit mixture.

5. Cover ramekins with lid (or cover with tin foil and poke a couple holes). Bake, covered, at 400F for 22-25 minutes. The topping will burn if you don’t cover it. Allow to slightly cool for 10 minutes before serving with a scoop of vegan ice cream. Dig in!!!

IMG 8046   Cardamom Almond Pear Crisp for Two

A light and healthy dessert that will leave you feeling refreshed and satisfied just in time for spring!

IMG 8051   Cardamom Almond Pear Crisp for Two

You can serve it naked, but I definitely recommend serving it with a scoop of vegan ice cream. :) That one is a no brainer. The ice cream gets all melty and warm, creating a gooey, comforting dessert.

IMG 8053   Cardamom Almond Pear Crisp for Two

Can I just say how pumped I am over the spring-like weather forecast next week?

weather   Cardamom Almond Pear Crisp for Two

Anyone else being blessed by warmer weather?

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 9, 2012

Your dessert looks wonderful and I love the napkin with the purple in it…so pretty and festive for spring!

Thanks for the pancake/greasing report. I plan to make these so thanks for the tip!

Melissa March 9, 2012

Love, love, love the new winter banner for the blog! Keep it coming! As a healthy living blogger myself, this site is one of my top 5 that I read every day on my lunch break!

Angela March 9, 2012

Thanks Melissa!
Confession: I’m already sick of my new header. Isn’t that bad? lol

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites March 9, 2012

i LOVE it Angela! do you miss your autumnisn one?

Angela March 9, 2012

I’m not sure if it’s that, or just that I’m anxious to shoot the next one! I love photography. :) It’s fun playing around with it.

Shelby (everydayvegangirl) March 10, 2012

If you don’t want it, I’ll have it! ;-) I love the new banner! Speaking of, do you have any good photography tips? I just started a blog and have been trying to self-teach food photography. I love your pics and would love some advice! (btw…I tried to find an email for you and couldn’t :-(

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 9, 2012

Pear crisp sounds amazing! I’d love to try this with some blueberries added in too! a

Cardamom has been a recent discovery to me, but I love the funky spice it gives desserts. Have you made cardamom whipped cream? Love that as a topping and I bet it would also be good on this crisp!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2012

I haven’t but that sounds unreal. It’s such a sassy lil spice.

Michelle M March 9, 2012

This looks delicious! And I have to ask – where did you get your ramekins? I’ve been looking for some just like yours. Thanks!

Angela March 9, 2012

Good question- they were a gift from Eric for Xmas so I will have to ask him. It was a holiday white, green, & red set by le creuset, so Im not sure if they are available year round.

Cat @ Breakfast to Bed March 9, 2012

it took me only 94753489694 minutes to do the C to F math in my head. I am SUCH an annoying american.

AG (Our Lighter Footsteps) March 9, 2012

yum, I am going to make this tonight. We are having leftovers and I needed something yummy to end it with!

Jocelyn March 9, 2012

Looks yummy :D Well I just looked out my window and it looks like a blizzard out there! lol Hopefully the weatherman will be correct for the week though.

Mandy Jo March 9, 2012

Aloha! Just got home from my trip to Hawaii! I already miss the fresh fruit! I was bad and had a few tiny pieces of fish, then felt guilty later!:(
I see you vamped up your website! I missed reading your blogs everyday so I just played “catch up.” I can’t wait to try all of the recipes (especially the pancakes!)
I was bad in Hawaii and had a few tiny pieces of fish, then felt guilty later!

Siri @ The Herbivoress March 9, 2012

Looks delicious– and I LOVE those purple napkins! I’m looking forward to some warmer weather next week, too.

Kris | iheartwellness.com March 9, 2012

Looks AMAZING! I LOVE Cardamom…….sooooo spring like and warming :) I’ve made a shortbread with cardamom and it was divine!!

I heard you guys were getting heat, we are still in like 3-5 degree weather in Vancouver :( BOOOOO and rain!

xxoo

Angela March 9, 2012

Really? I would’ve expected it was warmer there by now. Hopefully that changes soon!

Miriam March 9, 2012

Brrr!!! It’s 70 here!! Do you think you’ll ever move or are you attached to Canada? If so, come to North Carolina :)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama March 9, 2012

We’ve been having warmer weather here too! I love it. Only a few more weeks and spring officially arrives. :-)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh March 9, 2012

Ooh the Mr is gonna love that dessert! Pears are his favorite!

Your forecast looks about like ours. Spring is around the corner!

laura March 9, 2012

This is exactly what I’ve been craving lately! YUM

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes March 9, 2012

Looks amazing! Perfect for two :)

Shira March 9, 2012

That is my exact weather forecast here in Markham :) And I am so totally excited about it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2012

hollaaaa

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 9, 2012

Ok, this looks delicious, but even more so because it’s served in cute ramekins!!! I love yours! The photos are absolutely beautiful. Ooh, and I am so so pumped for this weather we’re about to have… I think spring is coming (and that means outdoor running!!!) :D

Raquel @ Ovenmitts Vegan Blog March 9, 2012

These look so great! I’m really weird and only like pears when they’re slightly under-ripe. Now, I’ll know what to do when they ripen a bit to much for my tastes. Beautiful pictures, as always.

We’ve been getting weather in the 70′s around here (in F!), and it’s been so nice. I’m glad spring is almost here!

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites March 9, 2012

you don’t seem pumped about the weather at all, Angela! check out my green monster post for today! :D :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2012

heh, I saw it…lookin good!

Sarah March 9, 2012

That dessert looks scrumptious!

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com March 9, 2012

Love it!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 9, 2012

I really don’t think there is a more perfection combination of sweet foods than a crisp with vanilla ice cream. (Except maybe french toast with vanilla ice cream..)
I was on a huge cardamom kick over the last few months that started with these cookies: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2607
but now I’m kind of burnt out. That being said, your recipe sounds pretty darn tasty!
YES for spring weather- it’s pretty much all we’ve had this “winter” in DC!

Angela March 9, 2012

those look killer!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life March 9, 2012

Ooh I’m such a fan of cardamom; it really adds something special to taste – and fruit crisps always taste so healthy and yet comforting at the same time!

Rachel @Balance and Blueberries March 9, 2012

I love mini-ramekin desserts :) And the weather here (Indiana) is shaping up for a great weekend!

Jenny@vegetarianhatesvegetables March 9, 2012

Cardamom is the best! I lived with a Pakistani woman who used it in a lot of her desserts. She’d always beg me to try them, and even though I knew what she was up to, I couldn’t resist. Then she’d say, “Okay, now you do the dishes.” Tricky lady!

Angela March 9, 2012

haha I like her style.

Colleen N March 9, 2012

Hi Angela!

Do you think you could use melted Earth Balance instead of coconut oil? I have actually never bought coconut oil or butter yet. This might be a reason to give it a try!

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2012

yes for sure you could!

Cindy March 9, 2012

Yum. I just happen to have pears, so this will be a perfect dessert for Saturday night. Cardamom is one of my favorite spices. I put it in cold water and bring to a boil, then steep my tea. Why don’t you move down here? Our temp is mid-60 today, but will be in the mid-70′s all next week. Southern NC. Would love to have you nearby :)

Ashley March 9, 2012

This sounds perfect! I’ll have to make it for my fruit dessert loving husband.

Ileana March 9, 2012

Oh, this looks really good. I haven’t bought pears in a long time, but I may give the strawberry-apple crisp a go.

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie March 9, 2012

I don’t like most cooked fruit, but cooked pears are totally DELICIOUS to me. I love how they get soft and sweet :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 9, 2012

such a lovely sweet treat for the colder weather :)

Shannon March 9, 2012

I make a really similar crisp at work. We use walnuts instead of almonds, and grilled pineapple instead of pears. Maybe I will have to swap it out.

Manu March 9, 2012

What vegan ice cream do you guys recommend?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2012

i enjoy coconut bliss

Yellow Haired Girl March 9, 2012

I’m super jealous of the those little raindrops on the forecast for you next week – I miss showers! I’m one of those weird people who love the rain … I think I want to move to Vancouver so I can be surrounded by rain clouds for 95% of my life ;)

Alyssa March 9, 2012

Yes, we are finally having some nice weather here in Colorado too:) I have a question for whomever, I never used a treadmill before this winter for running. So I have been trying to train throughout the winter on one and this week got out to run outside and I stink. Is the treadmill not even close to real running or is there a trick (like run on a treadmill twice as long as you would outside)? Anyone else have this problem?

Angela March 9, 2012

I notice that too Alyssa. When I run on the treadmill, I always leave it at 2% (sometimes 1%) incline to “make up for” the lack of resistance that I’d naturally get outdoors with hills, wind, etc. So far my transition has been a lot more smooth by doing this!

Sarah L. March 9, 2012

YESSSS so excited for the weather next week! I can’t believe it snowed today and it’s supposed to be 12 on Sunday…Ontario weather keeps the wardrobe a’changin :)

Angela March 9, 2012

As far as Im concerned it’s bikini season next week. LOL

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva March 9, 2012

Today is beautiful and sunny here in Australia….a nice change from the torrential rain we’ve been having! This crisp looks fab angela! my favourite crisp/crumble is good ol apple, but I think i need to mix it up a bit. Oh and ice cream is essential!

LizAshlee March 9, 2012

Oooo..YUM!!! This sounds perfect! It is a beautify day here in SUNNY Colorado!!

DessertForTwo March 9, 2012

I’m ALLL about dessert for two. well, as if you couldn’t tell by my name ;)

Although, my desserts aren’t as healthy as yours. I eat mainly vegan/vegetarian food to make up for the fact that I eat my rich desserts. In my head, I pretend it’s all even, but I know it’s not haha

This is sooo cute :)

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon March 9, 2012

It was 70 here yesterday but then went back down to 50 today :(
And I love small serving dessert recipes!

Page 1 of 212»