7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

When I was a child, I only wanted to wear my two favourite outfits.

One of them was a neon pink and green spandex short and tank top combo and the other was a neon pink polka dot legging/skirt and t-shirt combo. Might I add, accessorized with a scrunchie, snap-on bracelet, and HIGH TOP kicks. I’ve always been pretty fashion forward. I bet my mom is laughing right now because she spent so many mornings trying to convince me that I couldn’t just wear the same thing everyday.

I guess I still don’t believe her, as I look down at the jeans I’ve been wearing for the past two weeks straight. :)

IMG 00011   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

[Check out that pose]

I also go on major kicks with food. In 2009 and 2010, I ate so many Mary’s Crackers, now I can’t even bring myself to look at them. I’ve also had so much chocolate, I didn’t touch it for months.

Wait, that didn’t happen….obviously.

Anyways, here are the foods I’m loving lately. Ask me again in a month, and I’ll probably want nothing to do with them.

#1 Grapefruit

They’re incredibly juicy, healthy, flavourful, and in season to boot. Now is the time to give them another shot if you’ve been on the fence. Try the Rose or Ruby varieties- they tend to have a nice balance of sweet and tart flavours. I find the right grapefruit doesn’t need any sweetener!

Last weekend, I ate 3 grapefruit in the span of one day…it was glorious, if not mildly insane. I had juice all over my face like a 2 year old. Did I mention I used to hate grapefruit?

IMG 7724   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#2 Rawtella

Step aside Nutella, there is a new spread in town. A couple weekends ago, I had my first experience visiting Organic Garage. I laughed, I cried (over the bill mostly), and I stalked every inch of the store with a fine tooth comb. Let’s just say I’ll never be the same again.

Especially, after trying out this little gem…

IMG 7827   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Picture with me for a moment Nutella with a rich, deep coffee flavour. Only this kind is vegan and raw, made with organic raw hazelnuts, organic raw cacao nibs, coffee beans, raw coconut sugar.

As you can see it is now empty. :\

IMG 7829   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Please keep me away from Organic Garage. It’s clearly dangerous.

#3 Fresh Rosemary

IMG 7832   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Remember last summer when I told you that my outdoor potted rosemary plant was dying a slow, horrible death, despite my best intentions (read: over-watering and then neglecting for 2 months). I totally gave up on the plant by October and moved it into the garage for storage.

Well, you can imagine my surprise when I went into the garage last weekend and a friend pointed out that my rosemary plant was growing!!

IT’S ALIIIIIIIIIVEEEE! OH IT’S ALIIIVEEEEEE.

IMG 7830   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

All it needed was a window in the garage and a bit of moisture from the air. Who knew?

Mind you, the parsley on the other hand, is not so low maintenance…it weeps for a better gardener.

IMG 7831   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

I’ve been on a huge rosemary kick with my recipes lately, including this savoury nut butter that I made for the cookbook:

IMG 7835   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Oh man am I excited to share this recipe with you! It’s inspired by my favourite savoury spiced nut mix….and easily one of the best nut butters I’ve tasted in all my years.

I also made a luxurious vanilla macadamia-almond nut butter, that will blow your mind.

IMG 7442 2   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#4 Five Seed Rosemary and Garlic Crackers

Sticking with the rosemary theme, this box of crackers didn’t last more than a day or two in this house. They are like a corn chip in cracker form filled with goodies like flax, hemp, and sesame seeds.

IMG 7833   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#5 Millet

I’m using it in everything these days. That is, when I’m not burning it to a black crisp or over-cooking it, which is about every third attempt. Note to self: Find and buy a clip-on timer. Someone mentioned in the comments that I need a clip-on timer like they use in science labs. Where can I find one of these little gems?

IMG 7760   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#6 White Linen Collection Marinara Sauce

I’m so obsessed with this sauce, I contemplated dedicating an entire post to it. Kristi first introduced this sauce to me a year or two ago and I fell head over heels for this stuff. Then our Costco membership expired and I went without it for a year. Costco is now back in our lives and so is this magnificent sauce. I buy 5 bottles at a time when we go…not even joking! I’d tell you what foods it goes good with, but the easiest thing thing to tell you is what foods it doesn’t go good with.

Nothing.

IMG 6256   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Well, maybe grapefruit.

I was at Costco the other week and a lady was loading up her cart with this sauce. She said to me, “Have you tried this marinara sauce before?? It’s the BEST marinara I’ve ever tried! All of my Italian relatives buy it because it tastes so authentic.”

We were instantly best friends and then we stacked the bottles into our carts like crazy people.

As soon as tomato season hits, I’m going to try my best to replicate this sauce. Although, I’m not sure how close I will come as they use Italian tomatoes…

#7 Vanilla Beans….the cheaper way!

To those of you who told me that I can find vanilla beans at Costco for cheap…you will forever hold a special place in my heart.

You get about 10 beans for $15 here in Canada (I read they are $12 in the US!), which is the cheapest I’ve ever seen them. Best of all they are great quality and so far, nice and fresh.

061809 vanilla   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

[image source: The Kitchn]

Also note, thanks to a few readers, you can buy 54 vanilla beans on Amazon for $27!! However, I just found out they don’t ship to Canada.

As many of you have already noticed, I finally created my new winter header, just 18 days shy of spring! Miracles do happen. The real miracle will be if this thing isn’t still up by Labour Day. By the way, press control + F5 to refresh your page if you can’t see the new header.

Who says winter is only dark and gloomy?

IMG 7824 5   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

True story: I almost pulled my groin while doing this photoshoot outside yesterday. The deck was covered in snow and I slipped while moving my tripod. Groin almost pulled. Thankfully it wasn’t, because I have a 5km race on Sunday! woot woot :)

Now tell me, what foods are YOU obsessing over lately? Spill the beans.

Keeley March 2, 2012

BEETS! Every day, all day.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2012

mmmmm yes

Val March 2, 2012

Ooh, what a beautiful header, I really love it!

Right now, I’m on a huge cauliflower kick! I just tried it about last month ( I know! ) and it was totally one of those, “why have I not had this before?” moments. My favorite thing to do is pop it in the toaster oven until it gets crispy and slightly burnt and then try not to scorch my throat/fingers before it’s cooled. Roasted cauli with hot sauce is one of my favorites.

Another recent introduction into my life would be hot sauce. See above, haha. It is to me what your “White Linen Collection Marinara Sauce” is to you; I’m putting it on just about everything! I even put it on a piece of bread – not part of a sandwich or anything, just a plain slice, is that odd? ;)

Of course, there are plenty others that I love; but those two I’m really obsessing about right now! Good luck with your race; rest your poor self up! We’ve been lucky where I am and haven’t had any snow, just about.

Kate @ get up and flow March 2, 2012

I’m also not a fan of grapefruit…and can’t figure out how to start liking it! What made you come around?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2012

I think for me it was finding the varieties that I really enjoy…I find the ruby grapefruits a lovely balance of sweet and tart flavours. Also the more I eat them, the more sweet they taste to me!

sarah March 2, 2012

I love grapefruit and I’ve been seeing a lot of people on the web who broil it before eating. Might be a new twist!
Why am I loving PC semi sweet chocolate chips lately? I carry a little tupperware full in my purse. Can’t wait to try your onion ring recipe tonight! And my long standing obsession is with Haddad High Protein pitas. I eat them with jam for breakfast, stuffed with salad for lunch, and toasted and dipped. I should really contact them and offer to do a commercial, that’s how much I love them.
Organic Garage is great–have you tried the restaurant Kind in Burlington? I want to check it out but haven’t heard too much about it?
Enjoy your weekend!

Colleen March 2, 2012

try warming the grapefruit in the oven (cut in half or peeled in slices) before you eat it–and then drizzle it with maple syrup. YUM

Debi March 2, 2012

Have you tried them broiled? The are delicious warm…..and so juicy. I sprinkle them with Truvia ……broil them for about 5-7 minutes and oh so yummy!!

Kate @ get up and flow March 4, 2012

Thanks forthese tips! Sounds delish — can’t wait to try it!

Tt in nyc March 6, 2012

I do the exact same as previous suggestions (broil, maple syrup drizzle) plus a generous bit of cracked fresh pepper- somehow the sweet/tart/spicy/acidic hits alllll the right spots!

Stephanie March 6, 2012

Grapefruit + banana (not frozen) + blender = Deliciousness!!

Cait's Plate March 2, 2012

I think I’m late to the game on this but I LOVE the new seasonal header!

Second of all – RAWTELA!?! How have I never heard of this!? I definitely need to go get some!

Sandra Kohlmann March 2, 2012

I am SO into millet lately. I put it in everything. I am also loving lentils, coleslaw, dried wild mushrooms, dates and tomato paste in a tube (so easy to put a little bit into everything). I’m also super into baking cookies (for an upcoming cookbook) and I put oat flour and wheat germ into many of my cookie recipes and now I’m using a garbanzo/fave bean flour mix to make gluten-free cookies. Yum!

morgan March 2, 2012

I know this may be a little crazy but I just found (and bought) 50 jars of the marinara from amazon! We don’t have a Costco around us so I checked to see if Amazon carried it and sure enough they have 50 40 oz jars (shipped!) for around $20!! It’s like 42 cents per jar! Every single review was 5 stars…so hopefully my family will like it as much as everyone else does :)

barb March 2, 2012

I’m in love with kale in any form, in smoothies, baked, raw in a salad and thanks to you in a monster green smoothie, love lara bars , just discovered the cherry pie bar, so tart and delicious, non fat greek yogurt with fresh blueberries, qinoa, millet and cashew sauce .I love your tomato soup and cheese sauce. Also love Vegenaise mayo and avocados.

Angela March 2, 2012

Whoa, that’s crazy! (In a good way of course) ;) I can’t believe it’s so cheap. Is it the same brand?

morgan March 2, 2012

Exactly the same! I actually copy and pasted right from your post.

Andrea March 2, 2012

I [think] I see what you were looking at on Amazon. It says 50 pack yes, but they aren’t selling them as a 50 pack. It says 10.99/bottle. I could be wrong, but I just don’t want you to think you are getting more than you really are!

morgan March 2, 2012

I will be extremely disappointed if it’s really only one jar. Why would it say 50 pack? I just emailed the seller so hopefully we’ll see soon! Thanks for pointing that out.

amy March 3, 2012

Maybe try ordering from their website: http://www.newyorkflavors.com/vimasa2pa.html 10% off a half-case (3 jars) and an additional 10% off a full case (6 jars).

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh March 2, 2012

YUM!!! I want that marinara, pronto!

Funnily enough, I’m loving beans right now! I got over my fear of preparing from dry and now it’s a beanfest in da house! I’m also learning to love oatmeal again after my body revolted against it last year!

Have a great weekend!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon March 2, 2012

I’ve been loving grapefruit as well! The big bags were on sale at my grocery store two weeks in a row!
I’ve also been loving eggplant and waffles!

katie@ KatieDid March 2, 2012

I have a little love affair going with a certain brand of pasta sauce too- I always buy the vodka sauce and put it on everythinggggg, and eat it straight out of the jar quite often! Wish we had that brand, I’m intrigued. I’m loving a toasted coconut almond butter I made yesterday and cold bananas from the fridge yummmm, and random.

Angela March 2, 2012

I love cold bananas too. :)

Cristina March 2, 2012

Ooh, I’ll have to try to find those vanilla beans! I picked up a pack from Trader Joe’s {which always has decent prices} and I’m planning to make vanilla extract :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2012

Also check out the links on Amazon that others provided…seems like an even better deal.

Willow March 2, 2012

Beautiful post as always, Angela! I have to say I’m in love with a lot of the same things right now… especially grapefruit! It’s top of my shopping list every time I run to the store.
That raw coffee nutella looks amazing, too. Thank goodness for the internet, because I now have it in my shopping cart!
I do the same thing with food trends, where I fall in love for a week, or a month, and then over-do it or find something new. You’ve inspired me – one of these days I’ll have to write about whatever my current obsession is, so I can look back and remember once the cravings have passed. :P
Thanks for sharing!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 2, 2012

LOVE the header Ange, and I love so many of the things you listed in this post! I’ve yet to experience the famous Organic Garage (maybe on our next fieldtrip? Pleeeease??) but the rawtella sounds amazing! I am also totally hitting up Costco this weekend for vanilla beans. I’m assuming they keep them by the massive vats of spices… I’ll comb the place until I find them!! ;) Happy Friday!

kathleen @ the daily crumb March 2, 2012

i am loving homemade almond butter — 1 cup almonds, pinch of salt, and a touch of vanilla, 6 minutes in my food processor. voila!

and rosemary… mmmmm! i could use it on everything!!

Barb C March 2, 2012

Tofu Scrambles – saw your post on it, and had two packages of tofu that needed to be used. Sauteed a ton of veggies, seasoned them up and added the chopped tofu. Delish!

Jessica V March 2, 2012

LOVE the new header! Beautiful and so much fun!

Angela March 2, 2012

Thanks Jessica!

Noelle (@singerinkitchen) March 2, 2012

I could go for some of that Rawtella right now! I am just enjoying beans and quinoa little by little since the baby was born.I am also enjoying So Delicious NEW almond products I got on my doorstep too! SO YUM!

Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 2, 2012

Rawtella?! Wow, there are so many variations of food out there, it is crazy! Lately I have been on a big roasted kale kick! It’s cheap, delicious, and easy to make! I can’t ask for more.. :-)

Robyn March 2, 2012

I love your new header!! I just found out about persimmons and la,la, love them!! When I saw the beautiful purple cabbage I was reminded of your gorgeous recipe(I’m sure I’ve made 3/4 times since)…love cabbages of all colour And the rawtella is definately on the ”list”. We’re about 3hrs from a Costco so only go 4/6 times a yr…now I’ll be on the hunt for yummy vanilla beans<3…And the Millet recipe is this weekends menu,,,Thank you and enjoy your weekend and 5K…hope it's warmer out there??

Jesse (Out To Lunch Creations) March 2, 2012

I love that pasta sauce, you talked about it a while ago on the blog and I tried it and fell in love. I went searching for vanilla beans at Costco last week and had no luck, I’ll have to keep trying.

Love the new header!

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner March 2, 2012

I love the new header! Right now I can’t stop eating oranges. I put 2 4lb bags in the cart every time I grocery shop and my husband just shakes his head :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 2, 2012

My rosemary plant just kicked the bucket this past month. I was really hoping it would’ve pulled through to spring but no such luck. too bad b/c I love that stuff.
Grapefruits are also a recent obsession over here along with making my own nut butters. I got a legit food processor for Christmas and have been loving playing around with the different kinds of butters I can now make and more importantly, not having to pay $8-9 for it!

Kiele Gregoire March 2, 2012

i love this header! it’s march, but it snowed a TON here yesterday (new england) and i was in need of a lovely winter fruit and veg photo like that. thank you! also, i’m now sad that i threw away my rosemary tree- i was so happy to have it, and then i was sure i totally killed it. it was seriously dead. so i threw it out, believing that i just don’t have enough light in my house to keep it alive. i shouldn’t have been so quick! i’m so glad yours is proving us all wrong!

Jasper Naomi @ crunchylittlebites March 2, 2012

LOVE the new headers!!!!!! LOVe the persimmon!

my current favorite is amaranth :D and coconut butter

kelli March 2, 2012

love the new header, and i got extremely cheap vanilla beans here – http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPZSC8

about 54 beans for 27 dollars (before shipping). that’s like 55 cents a bean! the quality is the same as ones i’ve bought at whole foods. i’ve vacuum sealed them to keep them fresh.

kelli March 2, 2012

i just checked and shipping is free! woohoo!

Simone March 2, 2012

These all look delicious!! Have you thought about a rice cooker for your millet? I haven’t tried millet in mine yet, but it’s the only way I do rice & quinoa! Mine has a steamer basket so you I can shorten my cooking time. I can’t wait to try your mushroom & millet recipe! I’ve already converted my husband from frozen cardboard veggie burgers to yours!

Shelly March 2, 2012

My current obsessions are barley, butternut squash, coconut oil, arugula, parsley (which I used to hate!), chipotle peppers and the sauce they come in, and corn tortillas. Kind of random- haha!

Jacqueline@digintobooks March 2, 2012

YUM! Beautiful pictures of the veggies in the snow! I am so similar to you as far as eating habits go-I definitely cycle through foods and go through mini “addictions” as I call them. Good thing I’m obsessed with eating sweet potatoes, popcorn, carrot sticks, and pumpkin!

Faith @ For the Health of It March 2, 2012

I’m dying to get my hands on that rawtella – sounds divine! I don’t like grapefruits, but I am really craving grapefruit juice for some reason. I really need to get myself a juicer!

Renee March 2, 2012

Current flavor obsession: blueberry + pistachio. At the rate I’ve been eating through bags of frozen blueberries, I’m surprised my teeth haven’t been permanently stained blue! The rosemary made me think back to my childhood in Maine. Just before the first frost, the hardy rosemary would get moved to an enclosed porch. If my memory serves me well, I’m sure your garage smells fantastic!! Enjoy:)

Kate March 2, 2012

Hi – love your site. Regarding the clip-on timer, you can get one at Lee Valley Tools (www.leevalley.com). It has both a clip-on feature and a magnet, so you can stick it on either way. Very useful!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2012

Thanks Kate, love lee valley

Sierra March 2, 2012

Ha! I eat the same foods over and over too! I ate hummus every day for a year and a half straight and now I can’t even think about eating the stuff! Which is so sad cuz it’s so good! :(

janet @ the taste space March 2, 2012

Great list! You can tell yourself that it took you that long to get to your new header because you were waiting for snow… it has been a very dry winter in Toronto and I am quite sad I didn’t take out my snowshoes at all! :( Not sure where to get the medical grade timers, but I bought mine from Homesense and love it. It is a bit snazzy because it also includes a thermometer I never use (but if I did meat or candies again, I am all set, hehe). ;)

Clem March 2, 2012

I tried nut butters just after I began eating a vegan diet and hated them. Haven’t tried them since, except peanut butter, and I wasn’t a fan of that either. I’ve always like nutella, though, so maybe hazelnut butter would suit my picky taste buds?

Must try grapefruits, as well. I hate acid/sour foods, so I’ve always avoided them, but maybe it’s time for change.

I am obsessed with kale at the moment. I put it in just about everything, and since I’ve discovered green smoothies I make one almost every single morning.

And chocolate… when am I not obsessed with chocolate???

Lacey March 2, 2012

I used to hate grapefruit and now love it too :)
Also, that Rawtella sounds amazing!!!

Anne March 2, 2012

I love the new header! I recently made my own nutella, and I have been obsessed with it! The Rawtella looks equally as amazing. Also, obsessed with roasting red peppers and adding them to sandwiches, chili, and pasta sauce. LOVE IT

Beth March 2, 2012

Great post! I have recently rediscovered grapefruit, also. We have been eating it on weekends. I am not a big fan of citrus fruit because of the white pithy stuff, but I like grapefruit and Cuties (mandarin oranges).
I also have overcooked millet every time I’ve made it.
You should be able to find a clip-on timer in the kitchen accessories section of any store. I used to have one that I got at the grocery store, but it fell off and the clip broke. Do you have a timer function on your cell phone? You could use that, too.
My latest fun find was Mango Butter at Trader Joe’s. I finished the last of my pumpkin butter made from your recipe and needed something else. It’s delicious!

Tia March 2, 2012

We absolutely love that marinara sauce as well. And in our Costco here, they have put out a Kirkland one just like it, with three bottles on a pack. Can’t remember the price but it’s much cheaper per bottle and identical to the white linen one! I also love that I can get pure vanilla extract for $7 in a HUGE bottle!
Right now peanut butter is my thing! And creating everything from scratch!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 2, 2012

I am with you on the rosemary – I can’t get enough! that a fresh thyme. I think I’ll go make some nut butter with it right now, actually…

My new addition is also a major obsession – I finally got a Vitamix! Smoothies reached a whole new level this week. :)

Katy March 2, 2012

I’ve also been eating my weight in grapefruit lately! I can’t seem to get enough avocado (I know, I know…totally out of season but I loooove it), and I also stumbled upon a recipe for roasted beets with tahini sauce that are aaammmmmaaaaazzziing!

MJ March 2, 2012

Beets & Tahini sauce?? Please share!! Omg! Love me some beet!!

Katy March 2, 2012

This is where the recipe came from:

Bridget March 2, 2012

I obsess over vegan cooking blogs, clearly. :) I recently “re-tried” grapefruit and my husband and I can’t get enough of it either! He told me he had to stop himself from having 3 of them the other day too. I also can’t seem to add enough hot sauce to things lately. Any recommendations on one that you love?

Page 1 of 512345»