IMG 7710   Tropical Mango, Banana, & Pineapple Kale Salad with Creamy Pineapple Lime Coconut Dressing

As I type this post, we’re getting a snow storm. It’s so beautiful out, but I can’t help but dream of the summer. I can barely remember what the forest looks like all green and full of life. Right now, it’s stark white and eerily still.

IMG 7601   Tropical Mango, Banana, & Pineapple Kale Salad with Creamy Pineapple Lime Coconut Dressing

I don’t know about you, but I‘ve got a bad case of cabin fever lately. I get this urge to run races just to get outside, declutter the house, and buy a huge pineapple at the grocery store. I also feel like I’m slowly going to go stir crazy if I have to plant my butt on the couch for a second longer. I really can’t bring myself to watch another reality show either. I mean, Ice T and Coco…really?

I’d rather pick lint off my sweater.

But I find myself watching it anyways, while I pick lint off my sweater and tell Sketchie to stop eating it.

IMG 7569   Tropical Mango, Banana, & Pineapple Kale Salad with Creamy Pineapple Lime Coconut Dressing

Mmm, lint. Yum.

Then I come to my senses and remember that Up All Night is on and everything is well in the world again.

If I’m feeling really desperate for warm weather, sometimes I’ll eat food that reminds me of the tropics. The tropical fruit that I usually pass up at the grocery store, is now a craving that can’t be ignored. It’s a splurge that just might save my sanity, at least for now.

IMG 7711   Tropical Mango, Banana, & Pineapple Kale Salad with Creamy Pineapple Lime Coconut Dressing

Tropical Mango, Banana, Pineapple Kale Salad with Creamy Pineapple Lime Coconut Dressing

The next best thing to going on a tropical vacation. Let’s call this a staycation salad, shall we?

Print this recipe

Yield: 2 large salads or 4 smaller salads

For the dressing:

• 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
  • 3/4 cup coconut milk (I used So Delicious original, see below)
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted

For the salad:

• 5 cups packed kale, stems removed and roughly torn
  • 1 ripe mango, chopped
  • 1/2 large banana, chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
  • 1 tbsp shredded dried coconut
  • 1/4 cup roughly chopped macadamia nuts

1. In a blender, blend all dressing ingredients until smooth.

2. Meanwhile, prepare the kale and add about 2/3 of the dressing to the kale and massage it in with your fingers. While it marinates, chop the fruit.

3. Mix everything together, top with coconut and mac nuts, and serve.

IMG 7696   Tropical Mango, Banana, & Pineapple Kale Salad with Creamy Pineapple Lime Coconut Dressing

This dressing is something I whipped up on a whim to pair with the flavours of the fruit. I usually have the hardest time making salad dressing (I’m so picky with them), but I loved this one immediately. It’s one of those dressings you can eat with a spoon too…seriously.

I used chia seeds to help thicken the salad dressing. They probably aren’t absolutely necessary, but they do help. I’m really not a fan of using things like xanthum gum as thickeners, so chia seeds are a nice, all-natural alternative.

Blend the dressing ingredients and let it sit and thicken while you prepare the kale. Now, pour about 2/3 of the dressing onto the kale leaves and massage it in with your fingers, letting it marinate while you chop the fruit and nuts.

Mix it all together, squeeze on some lime juice, and you’re good to go!

IMG 7701   Tropical Mango, Banana, & Pineapple Kale Salad with Creamy Pineapple Lime Coconut Dressing

When I eat this salad, I don’t see a snow storm outside.

I see a sunny white sand beach, clear blue sky, and glistening turquoise water. I’m sitting at a beachside bar enjoying this salad with a sarong tied around my waist and a wide rimmed hat.

You are all there enjoying the beach too. HI!

IMG 7707   Tropical Mango, Banana, & Pineapple Kale Salad with Creamy Pineapple Lime Coconut Dressing

We’re rehydrating with a tropical smoothie made with 1 cup coconut milk, 1/2 cup frozen pineapple, 1 frozen banana, and 1 tbsp fresh lime juice. Add some rum too…we’re on the beach, after all.

Life is good.

IMG 7719   Tropical Mango, Banana, & Pineapple Kale Salad with Creamy Pineapple Lime Coconut Dressing

When I wake up from my dream, I feel like Cinderella after the clock struck midnight. Only instead of a glass slipper, all I’m left with is some questionable peach nail polish and a kitchen that needs a major cleaning. Pineapple juice is STICKY.

IMG 2368   Tropical Mango, Banana, & Pineapple Kale Salad with Creamy Pineapple Lime Coconut Dressing

Should I wear my wide rimmed hat while I shovel the driveway?

Kate February 24, 2012

Pineapple is one of my absolute favorite fruits ever and I love that you used it in the salad as well as the smoothie I cant wait to try both of these out! And I lovee the nailpolish I always paint my nails bright colors in the winter it helps cheer me up and get excited for the spring!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh February 24, 2012

OMG, this looks heavenly, I can’t wait to try it! The kitty pic is CLASSIC!

Also love the nail polish, you look beach ready! :-) Have a great weekend!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 24, 2012

Sigh seeing this makes me want warm weather too! Looks amazing :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 24, 2012

Since my pleading for a tropical vacation is being ignored by my husband, I might just have to resort to this too. Pineapple sounds lovely right now as I stare at the random 3 inches of snow we got last night that I was totally unprepared for!

Kristy @ KristyRuns February 24, 2012

Way to brighten up winter! I want to make that smoothie today! And that is the best nail polish color ever.

kim collazo February 24, 2012

This looks DELISH! Can’t wait to make it. Your cat – HYSTERICAL!

kaila@ healthy helper blog! February 24, 2012

SO many yummy kale recipe floating around lately!! They all looks so delicious! I am loving the tropical spin on this one!

Caitlin @ Cake with Love February 24, 2012

WOW this is a really good tropical salad, and the dressing sounds so good! Angela, I see you ate really looking forward to the summer :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 24, 2012

looks like vacation on a plate!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 24, 2012

I don’t have a real vacation planned for awhile so I’ll have to vacation through my food. Pineapple and coconut = tropical bliss! :)

Abby @ Fig & Fork February 24, 2012

We finally got snow in Minnesota too – this salad will be perfect way to escape wintery reality! There’s something about kale and pineapple together that just works!

Katie February 29, 2012

And its snowing again today in Minnesota! The salad looks so delicious, and I would say if not adding rum….maybe tequila would be a good idea!? Just a thought :) Thanks for the beautiful salad to brighten up the snowy day!

Lauren @ A Full Measure of Happiness February 24, 2012

I’ve been feeling the same way here in NY–luckily no snowstorm, in fact, it was 60 degrees yesterday and I had all the windows wide open! Now it’s back to cooler weather, but I’m hoping our mild winter stays mild!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 24, 2012

I’ve never thought to add banana to a green salad before but it sounds awesome!!

Rachel B February 24, 2012

you are adorable haha i’m anxiously awaiting the snow so I have an excuse to make your hot chocolate!! but that smoothie sounds like it has summer breakfast written all over it.. maybe add a scoop of protein powder and spinach and it can be the tropical green monster?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2012

mmm that would make a nice breakfast :)

Alex @ Raw Recovery February 24, 2012

Oh I am definitely trying this dressing! I love fruity dressings and it is raining here in Philly and maybe I can convince myself I’m in Hawaii if I make this dressing and turn the heat up really high. I’m sure that will work. The deck looks great by the way! So pretty covered with snow :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2012

Thanks Alex! I will forward your compliment along to the deck master ;)

LizAshlee February 24, 2012

I love the bright colors…I am ready for the sunshine too..spring can you hear us??? Have a wonderful Friday..stay warm!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 24, 2012

Oh wow, all that’s missing is the beach!!!! I hear ya – the weather is crazy gross and I’m getting cabin fever too. All I want is to run on a REAL road and not have to bundle up to walk outside! Hopefully it’ll be over by this afternoon like they’ve been saying on the radio. In the meantime, I’ll just sit in my windowless office, gaze at photos of your salad, and pretend like there’s a beautiful ocean with sun shining outside!! ;) PS LOVE your nail colour!

Joss February 24, 2012

Boooo..they said it was supposed to be a snow storm…but I woke up and it’s just ice rain? i was all excited and wanted snowmageddon lol…I’m about an hour away from Toronto – so i wonder if up that way is getting more?

I think that salad looks absolutely delish! Love the idea of making it tropical based :D My parents have been in aruba for the past 6 weeks (2 more weeks to go) and then they go on a cruise…I am so jealous :(

katie@ KatieDid February 24, 2012

Have barely had ANY snow in vermont, it’s sort of absurd and I feel bad for all the skiers but I’m sort of loving it. And I think I want to drink that dressssing, yum!!

Beks February 24, 2012

Haha! This is one of the funnier entries I’ve read in awhile. That salad looks amazing. I’m going to have to try it. We just got more snow last night in Iowa, so I’m needing something tropical. I’m picturing myself moving to Hawaii. It’s a good daydream.

Robyn February 24, 2012

Oh Yum! this sounds/looks so good,,,and I just happen to have a little pineapple left<3…so no excuses!
And definately go all the way,,,wear the hat…lol!

Andrea February 24, 2012

Mmmm I am loving tropical-ness right now as well :) I’m practically drinking gallons of tropical smoothies lately! We got a ton of snow last night so the best thing to do for breakfast was a tropical smoothie. Though I have to say, the snow is kind of beautiful. Loving the picture of Sketchie! Have a great day, Angela :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 24, 2012

I could use a stay-cation (or a real vacation!). If I can brave the rain, I’m going to get some pineapple and have this salad instead. I bet it would be awesome with a little mint an some blueberries too!

Mandy Jo February 24, 2012

YUM! This looks and sounds amazing! Perfect pre-vacation salad to prepare me for my trip to Hawaii next week! Hope that doesnt make you all jealous. :)
Love the nail polish too!
Cheers!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2012

Ah, have fun!! :) Bring me back from fresh fruit??

Mandy Jo February 24, 2012

Deal! As long as you promise to whip me up something delicious out of them! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2012

Im sure we could work something out…heh

Mandy Jo February 27, 2012

Great! looks like you’ll be making a trip to Idaho- on your bucket list I’m sure! :)
I made this salad last night in preparation for Hawaii and it was delicious! Thank you! (I used to hate raw kale until I made the Weekend Glow Kale Salad and now this! Hmmmm you have made me a kale lover! :) )
ALOHA!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 27, 2012

Glad to hear that!

Hailey February 24, 2012

Aww Sketchie is super cute, looks like my cat Ellie! This salad looks so yummy!! How long do you let the kale marinate? I have tried marinated kale salads and I always feel like I’m eating chewy, tough raw kale. Terrible. Do you just get regular kale? I’ve heard before that smaller leafed kale is better for raw salads, but I don’t know if there’s any truth to that.

And what’s questionable about the nail polish? Looks great!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2012

I suggest trying dinasaur/lacinato kale..very smooth, flat and mild tasting!

Hailey February 24, 2012

Awesome, will do thanks! That’s the purple stuff, right? I always just feel like some kind of animal or something chewing the raw kale for such a long time haha.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2012

haha yea I know the feeling.
It’s a deep green colour. I’m not sure if they have it in a purple variety though, quite possible.

osgmom February 24, 2012

You had me at Tropical Mango — this salad sounds to die for! Oh can’t wait to buy these ingredients and whip it up. Can Sketchy get any more photogenic?? You didn’t take after me because I don’t look good in peach, but I know you can rock it :) Glad you are making the best of the snow … Spring is just around the corner!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2012

I think peach looks lovely on you! but then again I think every colour does.

Tiffany February 24, 2012

I can’t wait to make this! I guess I shouldn’t complain about weather here since it’s supposed to be 80 degrees here in southern Ca!

Jacqueline@digintobooks February 24, 2012

YUM!! I think I’ll be taking a “staycation” in the near future!! The weather near me is sunny and spring-like so this salad will just remind me even more how much I’m lovin’ the weather. Thanks for this awesome recipe-they are always the best!

Becca February 24, 2012

You’re hilarious. Love the humor of the post!

Rhona February 24, 2012

Ok, this looks absolutely amazing! Pineapple is my crack, seriously. I could eat and eat and then my tongue would be all raw from the acid but I can’t help it. What a wonderful and happy looking salad for the sad weather we are having outside. I WILL be making this stat.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2012

same with us…I think it’s both our fav fruit…with fresh cherries being a close second, perhaps?

jenna February 24, 2012

you are so fabulous! it cracks me up! can’t wait to try this salad and dressing! it sounds so refreshing.

love that nail color! festive.

Anna @ On Anna's Plate February 24, 2012

I’ve been eating TONS of pineapple lately!! I guess I’ve been craving summer too :-) Not too far off, really!

Amanda February 24, 2012

So funny :) Also, loving the peach polish…it’ll look gorgeous in contrast with the white snow! Ha!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2012

hah I never thought of it that way ;)

Ashley February 24, 2012

This salad looks so yummy! I live in Florida so we are getting the sunny spring weather (not to rub it in ;)! I plan on making this salad soon! Thanks for all of the great recipes! I made your salad in a jar last night but I added a bunch of arugula to the top to make it bigger. :) PS- when are you going to change your picture from pumpkins to something spring-y?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2012

That sounds like a nice addition to the salad.
Oh the header…I’m so uninspired for the header! haha. Every time I go to shoot it, the snow melts. I might have to jump straight to spring…

Krysta February 24, 2012

Yes, wear the hat! ;)

Chelsea @ Naturally Sweet Recipes February 24, 2012

What a great nail polish color! Your nails look beautiful!

Yellow Haired Girl February 24, 2012

ALL I’ve done lately is dream of summertime. I moved into my current apartment in the fall … and I have this huge, beautiful balcony that will be just perfect for sitting in the sun with a beverage. I. Can’t. Wait.

That salad looks great … definitely easing the winter blues!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2012

the balcony sounds so nice :)

Tia @ Veggies and Pearls February 24, 2012

I say wear the hat! Here in Missouri it has been ridiculously warm. Yesterday it was 56 degrees at 9am, so I happily threw on a halter top and shorts! Of course, later in the day it got colder and I regretted my decision, but it was nice while it lasted! If it gets above 50 degrees, I always wear my shorts.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 24, 2012

haha you gotta rock the shorts and tanks while you can!

Amanda February 24, 2012

I understand how you feel all too well. This week is the first week all winter we haven’t had visible patches of grass everywhere. It has snowed every day, it’s my week off, and my oven is broken. I did however make some of your delicious veggie burgers the other day while I dreamed of summer and hiking in the rockies. I feel a rendevous with this salad will happen in the near future…. with a pina colada…. and maybe a swim suit….. in the bath tub. I miss sunshine.

Jenny@vegetarianhatesvegetables February 24, 2012

This sounds so inventive and yummy! Yes on the wide-rimmed hat show shoveling!

Page 1 of 3123»