Homemade Vegan Caesar Cocktail

IMG 7627   Homemade Vegan Caesar Cocktail

Have you ever had a Caesar or Bloody Mary cocktail before?

Caesar’s were my absolute favourite drink growing up- the virgin, non-alcoholic kind, mind you! It was a rare occasion when my family wouldn’t have a few supersized bottles of Mott’s Clamato in our pantry. If our stock ran out, my sister and I would often fight over who got the last glass. Or, we’d drink so much that my dad would go to make himself a glass and there would be none left for him.

“Did someone drink the rest of the Clamato juice…??”

Uh oh.

“Kristi did it!!!”

We’d pour a huge, celery-salt rimmed glass of Clamato juice, add in some Worcestershire sauce, ice, a few drops of Tabasco, and a stalk of celery. Nothing was better.

IMG 7616   Homemade Vegan Caesar Cocktail

Admittedly, I always thought a Bloody Mary was simply a virgin Caesar with vodka added to it; however, I recently discovered that Caesar’s and Bloody Mary’s are two different drinks.

IMG 7609   Homemade Vegan Caesar Cocktail

A Bloody Mary is a cocktail that uses tomato juice as the base and includes other ingredients such as vodka, celery salt, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, olive, cayenne pepper/Tabasco sauce, lemon juice, and occasionally even bouillon. Sometimes instead of celery it’s garnished with pickled asparagus or other vegetables. The origin of the drink is unclear and there is dispute over who created it, although many speculate the drink came from the US (1).

A Caesar cocktail, on the other hand, is made up with a base of clam and tomato juice (think Clamato juice), containing similar ingredients like Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vodka, celery, and a celery-salt rimmed glass. It’s said to originate from Calgary, Alberta in 1969 (2). Walter Chell created the drink for the opening of his new restaurant in Calgary (3).

As you can see, the two drinks are strikingly similar, save for a different base, a few seasonings, and traditional garnishes.

IMG 7632   Homemade Vegan Caesar Cocktail

When people ask me what foods were the most difficult to give up when I went vegan, many are surprised when I say “Clamato Juice”. But it’s true! I used to drink this stuff like water and it only occurred to me recently that I should try making my own vegan-friendly version at home.

My mission started rather abruptly, with a V8 explosion. I opened this bottle a couple months ago, forgot it in the back of the fridge, and was rewarded with this little mess when I opened it. Needless to say, I did not use this sour V8 in my cocktail! The smell of it would make your nose hairs curl. It was just awful.

IMG 7597   Homemade Vegan Caesar Cocktail

Enter, new, unopened vegetable juice.

IMG 7607   Homemade Vegan Caesar Cocktail

Using this Homemade Bloody Mary recipe from Kristina as a guide, I dumped the juice in a bowl and added the ingredients all to taste.

I suggest you do the same. You may prefer more or less of the seasonings I used. When it tastes good to you, it’s done!

IMG 7612   Homemade Vegan Caesar Cocktail

After tasting and testing and adjusting the seasonings (feel free to pretend you’re a crazy cool Mixologist), it wasn’t long before I decided that my drink was perfect. I also added a pinch of kelp granules to give it a hint of the sea, without the clams.

The mix turned out so similar to my childhood favourite I’m not sure I could pick out the original in a blind taste test. I guess the real test will be making this for my dad when he comes to visit. I predict he will like this version better, but I may be biased. ;)

IMG 7614   Homemade Vegan Caesar Cocktail

Homemade Vegan Caesar Cocktail

Is this a vegan version of a Caesar cocktail or is it an adapted version of the Bloody Mary? I can’t decide. Whatever you call it, this is one fantastic drink with a whopping 4 servings of vegetables per 500 ml glass. Be sure to add the seasonings to taste and you can’t go wrong.

Print this recipe

Adapted from Former Chef.

Yield: 2 (500ml) servings, with a bit leftover

• 4 cups (32 oz) vegetable juice
  • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1-1.5 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce (I use The Wizard’s brand)
  • 2-2.5 tsp hot sauce, or to taste
  • 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 3/4 tsp celery seed
  • Sprinkle of Herbamare or kosher salt, to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • Vodka, to taste (optional)
  • Kelp granules, to taste (optional)
  • To garnish: celery salt, lime, celery stalks, ice

1. In a large bowl or pitcher, add the vegetable juice. Now whisk in the rest of the ingredients all to taste.

2. Grab two 500-ml glasses and rim the edge with a lime wedge. Now dip glass rim into a shallow bowl of celery salt. Pour drink into glasses and garnish with a lime wedge, celery stalk, and ice. Serve immediately.

I didn’t have any celery salt on hand, so I used kosher salt. I wouldn’t really recommend it though, it was more for the photo than anything!

IMG 7626   Homemade Vegan Caesar Cocktail

After a tough workout yesterday, this was the best, thirst-quenching drink to happen to my taste buds in a long time!

IMG 7635   Homemade Vegan Caesar Cocktail

With 4 servings of vegetables per glass, it was also a great way to sneak veggies into my day with minimal effort.

LizAshlee February 20, 2012

Wow, what a powerful drink!! Another great way to fit in a lot of veggies…the green drinks just got a bit nervous I think! JK Have a wonderful start to your week!

Sarah February 20, 2012

I also used to LOVE caesars!! I’m so glad you posted this……. I need to make this ASAP!
Thanks Ange :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 20, 2012

Bloody mary’s (nevere even heard of this Caesar thing!) are my favorite alcoholic drink, hands down. I’ve never made my own entirely from scratch though but I should because there’s nothing worse than a BAD bloody mary!

Siri February 20, 2012

Virgin bloody mary’s were such a treat when I was growing up! I can’t wait to try this!

Tanya February 20, 2012

This sounds like it would really hit the spot right now! Sometimes nothing tastes better than veggie juice! Why not have that and a make it a little bit fancy too? Thank you for sharing!

Sarah February 20, 2012

Totally agree Gina, there s nothing worse than a bad Bloody Mary! too often they just taste like straight up cocktail sauce. For me, there is no such thing as a ‘just okay’ Bloody Mary… they are either very bad or very good… I would someday love to experience a mind blowing spectacular Bloody Mary :D This vegan Caesar version looks worthy of giving a go for Brunch at home this coming weekend! Beautiful presentation, Angela :-D

Jesica February 20, 2012

Yum!! If you’re ever feeling a little wild and crazy, try one garnished with some pickled okra. My favorite way to celebrate Mardi Gras. (Or Lundi Gras … today!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2012

Never would have thought to pickle Okra! What’s it like?

Tracy February 20, 2012

OMG…u have to try pickled okra!!! yum…u can find it in the pickle section most of the time if u dont want to make it homemade.

Jesica February 20, 2012

Hmmm … it’s like … all of the cool parts about okra without the slime: the round seeds, the cool shape, etc. It doesn’t get slimy like a lot of cooked okra! When you bite it it sort of pops and the little round seeds inside come out, and I think it tastes delicious – especially if it’s a bit spicy. The Whole Foods in my area have it on the pickle bar and there are a few brands that jar it, too – though it might be a regional thing (southeastern US). I’ve never tried to make it on my own! Will have to sometime … :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2012

haha that sounds awesome. I was worried it would be extra slimy (considering how it is when cooked!)

Noelle (@singerinkitchen) February 20, 2012

This looks super delicious. I would love to have one of these after a workout!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 20, 2012

Last spring I tried my first Caesar and loved it – surprising because I do NOT like Bloodys. Great idea adding the kelp granules!

I really love that you just say to add vodka “to taste.” :)

Jess February 20, 2012

I was just thinking about how I would approach a vegan caesar recipe the other day. Thanks for taking the guess work out for me. I can’t wait to try this :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 20, 2012

This is awesome Ange! I had no idea that the Caesar originated in Calgary! I’m from Edmonton which isn’t even that far away, but I can’t say I’ve ever had one – I know, I’m super naive! Love these photos. You make me want to drink my weight in veggie juice! ;)

Angela February 20, 2012

I’ll have to make this for you next time you’re over!

Moni'sMeals February 20, 2012

Fantastic! So clever and 4 servings of vegetables per glass…wow!~

Can be 2 drinks as well, which I love, a veggie juice or a perfect bloody mary type of drink…I may have to splash a drop or two of some vodka in there though, just a splash! :)

katie@ KatieDid February 20, 2012

I have never heard of clamato juice or a caesar drink…. strange! But I’ve recently become a little obsessed with tomato juice and the ide of making a bloody mary although I haven’t attempted one just yet. This does sound delicious!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes February 20, 2012

Wow. I do not want to drink this but it’s beautiful and a really creative recipe. Maybe I’ll make it for someone else ;)

Andrea February 20, 2012

I’m not even vegan and I love this. I like horseradish in my caesars.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh February 20, 2012

Girl, you are a veggie goddess! :-)

Maggie February 20, 2012

I love all vegetable/tomato-juice-based drink, so this must be delicious :)
I found tomato juices so refreshing :)

Audrey February 20, 2012

OMG, this is fabulous. As soon as the stores open tomorrow I will be buying some lemons and limes. I haven’t had a Caesar in over 20 years and my time has come.

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes February 20, 2012

I’ve never had a drink anything like that! Looks awesome and very pretty!

Sarah@The Flying ONION February 20, 2012

Ohh, that sounds lovely! What a terrific blend of nutrients. :D

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco February 20, 2012

This is brilliant!!! Who couldn’t use more veggies, and in such a delicious (and sneaky) way!?

j3nn February 20, 2012

Never had one but it sounds yummy!

Kale Crusaders February 20, 2012

Sounds like a great marinade for tofu! I totally missed the point, right?

Linda February 20, 2012

Thanks so much for making the vegan caesar! Something I also missed. I think it’s a Canadian thing ;) Can you tell me where I might find kelp granules?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2012

I found them in Whole Foods in Arizona…sorry that’s probably not helpful. I’ve heard that they can be purchased in some natural food stores too.

Yellow Haired Girl February 20, 2012

Oh my goodness! You’re brilliant, Angela. This looks sooo good. Caesars are my “go to” alcoholic drink … I’m not vegan, but this sounds great!

Cait's Plate February 20, 2012

I saw that V8 explosion when you posted it on Twitter! How strange!! Looks like everything turned out delicious though :)

Gabby February 20, 2012

This was my FAVOURITE drink before going vegan. Word cannot express how happy I am that you have created a healthier vegan version :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com February 20, 2012

Come to MOMMA!!!!! I love caesars too and could sip that right now…is 9am too early!? Dang!!

xxoo

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 20, 2012

Gorgeous pics and bravo for even continuing on with making this after the smell of the old V8 in the back of fridge…yikes, I can only imagine.

These look so good. They would be PERFECT, poolside, about 11am after a late breakfast on a weekend day with sunny weather on a chaise lounge. I can dream, right :)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 20, 2012

love it! I just thought about re-creating one, now I don’t have to! Thanks haha :)

Kiki February 20, 2012

i need some of those glasses xo

Deb February 20, 2012

When I was a bartender Caesar’s were the most popular brunch-time cocktail.Not many of our neighbors across the border have heard of Clamato juice so during the Expo ’86 days it was nice introducing them to this wonderful drink.

Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño February 20, 2012

I saw the word cocktail and what looked like a bloody and I HAD to pop in, obviously. I am so happy I finally know the difference. There is nothing I like more on the weekends than a Caesar cocktail, refreshing and rejuvenating. This is an excellent post, thanks so much for sharing! {just one more reason I love to follow your blog}

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2012

Thanks Laura, enjoy! :)

Amanda February 20, 2012

How fun! I’m amazed at how you find a way to make anything and everything healthy! :)

Cara February 20, 2012

Hi Angela … I’m always off-topic on your posts, but I have a request. I LOVE scones, and while I’ve enjoyed the Vegan with a Vengeance and Vegan Lunch Box recipes, neither of them has QUITE the right consistency. Whole Foods makes a really good vegan chocolate chip one with the kind of crunch a scone should have … if you felt like trying to figure out how they did it, I would be so happy :-) And if you needed to wait and put it in the cookbook, it would be more cost-effective for both of us if I just sent you the $200 I would be paying to Whole Foods over the next two years in order to get the recipe early ;-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2012

Hey Cara, How’d you know that I was thinking of making a classic scone recipe? I will have to investigate Whole Foods next time Im there. I don’t think I’ve seen a vegan scone there, so I hope they have one!

Cara February 21, 2012

I can send you the ingredient list (as posted) but not the amounts :-P They seem to use both coconut and oats to contribute to the chewiness, but somehow they mostly make them disappear, but once in awhile you get a bite where you notice a chewy piece of oat or coconut … like maybe they process them first? I could also mail you a scone, but it might get a little stale ;-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 21, 2012

haha you are too cute!

The ingredient list would actually help me a lot!! I tried searching online for the recipe, but didn’t find anything. If it’s not a trouble, you can email it to me angela [at] ohsheglows [dot] com

Many thanks!!

Jenny@vegetarianhatesvegetables February 20, 2012

I was reading this and thinking, “Use the kelp granules!” Haha, you were way ahead of me.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2012

great minds think alike :)

bitt of raw February 20, 2012

I always wondering what the heck that clamato juice was for–I’d see it my grandmother’s cabinet from time to time. She like bloody mary’s but maybe they were really caesars. Not my cup of tea but a great vegan makeover for those who miss it!

Linda February 20, 2012

I LOVE Caesars! I had a Bloody Mary once in the States (they never heard of a Caesar) and hated it. Let us know what your Dad thinks. If he likes your version I’ll try it!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 20, 2012

I’ve never heard of a Caesar. I’m not a fan of Bloody Mary’s but maybe I’ll like this better.

I had friends in high school who would drink V8 and beer. Yuck!

Amelia February 20, 2012

I have never been a fan of Bloody Mary’s or heard of clamato juice. I guess I have always seen pureed tomatoes and/or tomato juice as the base for tomato soup. Darn all of those grilled cheese and tomato soup lunches as a kid!

Your pictures are very pretty though. :)

Page 1 of 212»