Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

IMG 7490   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

Remember this fun layered salad I had from Whole Foods while in Arizona?

IMG 1499   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing IMG 1498   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

I believe I said, “Mark my words, this will be the first thing I make when I’m on Canadian soil.”

IMG 1508   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

Ok, so it wasn’t technically the first thing I made (not even close if you could see all the recipe testing I’ve been doing), but at least I remembered to make it at all. Miracles do happen.

IMG 7483   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

With a salad this simple, it really wasn’t difficult to recreate at home. The most difficult part was judging how much of each vegetable/grain I would need and then figuring out how many mason jars and servings it would make. There are a lot of scribbles in my notebook!

IMG 1501 thumb   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

The first thing I did was test out my own version of the Oil-Free Orange Ginger Dressing.

IMG 7477   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

After a few trials, I was happy with the dressing, keeping in mind how light and simple the Whole Foods dressing was. This isn’t a thick or hearty dressing, but simply a light accent to highlight the flavours in the salad. I also added in fresh lime juice to give it a fun twist! Love that kick of lime.

IMG 7478   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

Now, moving onto the salad. I decided to do without the barley in the salad, because I really didn’t want to cook 3 grains on the stove top. Two is plenty for this salad! While I cooked the quinoa and wheatberries on the stovetop, I chopped the vegetables. Oh and I did without the tomatoes because out of season tomatoes are just tragic, aren’t they?

IMG 7480   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

After everything was ready, I started layering, while looking at the original Whole Foods salad as I went. I made four 500-ml mason jars worth, with some grains leftover. The salad will last for about 5 days in the fridge, so this works perfectly for easy lunches to make ahead of time. I’ve also included the exact measurements in the directions, if you’d like to replicate the mason jar layering.

IMG 7506   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

Or, if you aren’t into layering, just dump it into a big bowl or container and mix it up! This is actually what I ended up doing because I brought the salad for a family get together on the weekend. Or you could layer it, I’m sure, in a large glass bowl too. The salad turned out incredibly fresh, light, and just like the one I remember devouring from Whole Foods.

IMG 7494   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

Make Ahead Layered Salad With Oil-Free Orange Ginger Dressing

Just like the Whole Foods salad, but now made in the comfort of your own home. With some advance prep work, you can enjoy this salad all week long.

Print this recipe

Inspired by Whole Foods.

Yield: four 500-ml mason jars, with a bit leftover

for the salad:

• 1 cup uncooked wheatberries (makes 2 & 1/4 cup cooked)
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa (makes 2.5 cups cooked)
  • 1 cup edamame
  • 1 cup diced carrots (about 2)
  • 1.5 cups diced red pepper (1 large)
  • 1.5 cups diced green pepper (1 large)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
  • Herbamare or kosher salt, to taste

for the dressing (makes four 1/4 cup servings):

• 2/3 cup 100% pure orange juice (or use freshly squeezed)
  • 1/3 cup 100% pure apple juice
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbsp fresh minced ginger
  • 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • kosher salt, to taste (I used 1/4 tsp)

1. In a medium-sized pot, add quinoa and 1.5 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, until fluffy, about 15-20 minutes, watching closely so it doesn’t burn. Do the same for the wheatberries, in another pot, but add 2 cups of water and cook until tender and chewy, likely cooking for about 5 mins longer than the quinoa.

2. Meanwhile, chop the vegetables. In a bowl or jar, whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside.

3. When the grains have cooked, grab your 500-ml mason jars (if layering), and add into each: 1/2 cup wheatberries, 1/4 cup green pepper, 1/4 cup red pepper, 1/2 cup quinoa, 1/4 cup carrots, 2 tbsp parsley, and 1/4 cup edamame per mason jar. You may have to push it down a bit. Repeat as necessary. Makes enough for 4 mason jars, with a bit leftover. Alternatively, you can just mix the salad together into a big bowl along with the dressing. Will keep in the fridge for 5-6 days.

IMG 7502   Whole Foods Inspired Layered Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing

Mark my words, this is one healthy salad that will keep you going all week long. Just don’t forget to have a piece of cookie dough fudge for dessert.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh February 16, 2012

I love the way you re-create these things for the rest of us!! That looks wonderful and something tells me that dressing will become my hubby’s new favorite!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 16, 2012

Oooh I love this recipe Ange! I have another Whole Foods re-creation coming up soon but I’m so glad you’ve posted this one because I haven’t seen it in our Canadian locations! Sounds fantastic! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2012

I don’t think I’ve seen them here either…wonder why?

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 16, 2012

This is such a gorgeous salad! I’ve had the idea of a mason jar salad “pinned” for weeks. This just inspired me to execute and make my own!

I can’t wait for tomato season – I too a risk and bought some last week and was horribly disappointed. :(

manou February 16, 2012

Hi Angela, I love this easy fresh salad recipe and especially your advice with the cookie dough fudge for dessert :)

Faith @ For the Health of It February 16, 2012

I’m digging all of those vegetables! It looks like something that would be awesome with a dollop of guacamole on top too (maybe without the dressing, but still). So many gorgeous fresh colors!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2012

Mmm, love that idea. It is also good with hummus…but what isn’t?

DORIS @vanillacocoberry February 16, 2012

right :D

Julie @ Swim, Bike, Running on Empty February 16, 2012

This looks amazing! Any substitution recommendations in order to make this gluten-free?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2012

Thank you Julie. :) Hmm maybe sub the wheatberries for brown rice? or millet?

April February 21, 2012

I tried this recipe with the millet, and it was good. Then I tried it with Lundberg’s red rice….even better! Gluten free and very yum.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2012

sounds good! I will have to try that :)

Nadiya @ Milk and Honey February 16, 2012

Sweet :) As a student I always struggle with making salads because I need something portable and that can be made for the whole week. It’s awesome because you can make it on the weekend and just grab a jar in the morning. This is so inspirationally health :)

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 16, 2012

Love this! I’ve been really into mason jar meals lately!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 16, 2012

so colourful! I can’t wait to try this :D

katie@ KatieDid February 16, 2012

oh I love this idea! I’ve also seen putting the dressing in first on the bottom and any leafy greens up top so they don’t get soggy, and that makes the entire salad, dressing and all easily portable!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2012

That is a great idea Katie!

Colleen N. February 16, 2012

It looks JUST like the whole foods salad! So nice to be able to make such a simple dish at home without spending the grocery store markup! LOVE this for office lunches :). I made your not so tuna salad last night for lunch today…can’t wait to dive into that!

Krysta February 16, 2012

This looks incredible! Thanks for posting!

Michele February 16, 2012

looks AMAZING!! I know what I’ll be bringing for lunches next week- you’ve actually made me excited for Monday ;)

also, I’m a huge sucker for mason jar anything… so you’re basically my hero today!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie February 16, 2012

Looks like a great WF re-creation! And that fudge sounds like the perfect ending. Who said you can’t have happy endings? :)

Greta @ Staying Lost February 16, 2012

I’ve been thinking about the original Whole Foods version since you posted it! This looks so fresh and vibrant- and I don’t really need to go to WF to buy salad. :D

Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) February 16, 2012

This look like a delicious salad, I can’t wait to bring it for lunch.

Cait's Plate February 16, 2012

YUM. I love how vibrant everything is – you can’t beat that in a dish!

Kiki February 16, 2012

looks so healthy and yummy…. i must make this xx

Casey @ Insatiably Healthy February 16, 2012

Oh yum, ‘ve had that before at whole foods. Keep these Whole Foods swaps coming please!

Hailey February 16, 2012

This looks absolutely delicious! I’ve been looking for good, easy vegan lunch ideas and I think I’ve just found my lunch for all of next week!! Is this a complete protein with the edemame along with the wheat berries and quinoa? This is such a great recipe that would be very easy to switch up! Can’t wait to try it!

Angela February 16, 2012

quinoa, if I’m not mistaken, is a complete protein all on it’s own. I also think edamame is too?

Hailey February 16, 2012

Good call, I forgot about that for quinoa. I’m not sure about edamame, but seriously what a great recipe for protein. That has been my biggest struggle with eating more vegan. I think I’ll have to start supplementing with a protein powder. Do you like rice protein the best? I was looking at your last minute protein energy bars and I am thinking about trying rice protein. I know you also like Amazing Grass, but it is so expensive. Thanks!

Hailey February 16, 2012

And yep, just wikipedia-ed edamame and it is a complete protein. Woo hoo!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2012

Right now my fav protein powder is the Garden of life one, found in this post: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/25/protein-powder-reviews/ it’s unsweetened, but that’s how I like it so I can add my own fruit as sweeteners.

Amanda Molnar February 16, 2012

I am currently in South Carolina, and you can mark MY words. This is one of the first things I’ll be making when I’m back on Canadian soil.

Looks amazing!

xx

-A

Angela February 16, 2012

Glad to hear that Amanda ;)

Kristiana February 16, 2012

I like the new recipe printing format! I am always more inspired to make something when I can see a picture of it – especially something so beautifully colorful as this salad. Thanks!

janet @ the taste space February 16, 2012

I love being inspired by restos and recreating them at home… with a citrus-based dressing, this looks right up my alley. Beautiful, beautiful presentation in the Mason jars, btw.

Jacqueline February 16, 2012

Angela, this looks incredible!!! Love the bright colors and flavors that will make any of these dreary winter days pop! As always, great job with the recipe! :)

Elizabeth February 16, 2012

I can’t wait to try this! Would Farro be an ok sub for the wheat berries? I have some on hand and had an amazing citrusy Farro salad recently. This reminds me of it!

Angela February 16, 2012

yea I think farro would work nicely!

danica February 16, 2012

This looks so good and easy to make! All of your recipes are so cooking friendly(ie im not the greatest cook) I’v sent your website to a couple of friends who love your stuff! Thanks so much! Going to make this tonight :)

Angela February 16, 2012

Thanks for passing the blog along Danica!

Emily February 16, 2012

This looks great, but I have to say, I just don’t understand the appeal of oil-free dressing, from both a health and taste perspective. I feel like any calories saved are added back in with the fruit juice, and I need a little fat for salads to be satisfying. And aren’t many of the nutrients from the grains and vegetables are better absorbed when they’re accompanied by fat? I’m thinking of studies like this one: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/11/dress-up-your-salad/ I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the issue, actually.

Anyway, I think with a little olive oil in the dressing and some avocado or hummus layered on top (as suggested above), this would be a much fuller meal. Can’t wait to try it out!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2012

That’s a great point Emily! I do usually add oil to dressing, however I wanted to replicate this oil-free whole foods version. Avocado is a great suggestion as a way to sneak in some healthy oil. Maybe I will add that in next time.

Mindy February 16, 2012

Did you soak the wheat berries? I love wheat berries, but I get slightly bummed when I see them in a recipe because of the additional prep time. I’m not the most patient girl!

Angela February 16, 2012

Hey Mindy, Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t depending on time and if I plan ahead. Soaking grains is said to help with digestion and cook time, but in this case I didn’t soak and it turned out fine.

Mindy February 16, 2012

Thanks. I will make it today!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2012

Let me know what you think of it. Take care!

Karen February 16, 2012

What a delectable looking salad. I’ve been favoring these types of nutrient packed veg-grain-legume bowls lately…this looks just perfect! (And, I share your disappointment re. tasteless out of season tomatoes. ick!)

April February 16, 2012

I am going to make that SO HARD this weekend. Thanks for sharing!!

Moni'sMeals February 16, 2012

That clever Angela is back at it again. This is fantastic and if only we had these pre-made to take to work, but of course, now we can. :)

Stunning colors!

Stephanie @ Legally Blinde February 16, 2012

Wow, that is definitely the prettiest salad I have ever seen! And it looks absolutely delicious. I can’t wait to try this out. Thanks for the great recipe!

Emily (Edible Psychology) February 16, 2012

This looks as delicious as it is beautiful! I start a new job next week, and I really needed portable lunch ideas since I have had the luxury of making lunches at home now for a while… Your timing was perfect once again. :-)

~Emily~

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 16, 2012

Whole Foods could hire you now to recreate at-home versions of their food :) It looks identical (but better!)

I love all the pops of color mixed in and the different textures are lovely. Nice job and great photos, too!

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy February 16, 2012

This salad looks delicious and so full of color! There is a rumor going around my hometown that we might finally get our very first whole foods! I am so excited!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 16, 2012

This looks amazing!! Definitely bookmarking this recipe to make for the next work week :D

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) February 16, 2012

Looks beautiful – I love the colours! Can’t wait for your recipe book Angela!! I am missing GloBars soooooo much, especially the ones with the dried apricot in them!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2012

Aw thank you! I hope it’s worth your wait. :)

Jill in Chicago February 16, 2012

I love wheatberries in salads and your salad dressings! Thanks for re-creating this!

Allison February 16, 2012

Beautiful! This is the perfect solution for me for lunches to bring to work. So much better than the bagel-at-the-coffee-shop lunches I’ve been having lately because I’m too busy in the morning to make something healthy. This will be perfect to make on the weekends and then grab all week long. Thank you!

Jenny@vegetarianhatesvegetables February 16, 2012

I love wheat berries! They are one of the few grains that keep me full for long periods of time. I’m not huge on quinoa, but I think I would like them in this. Looks good!

Page 1 of 41234»