Endurance Crackers

IMG 7234   Endurance Crackers

Remember the chia seed crackers that we ate at Chocolatree Café just before hiking up 0.6 miles of rocky mountainside?

Here they are in all their glory.

IMG 21331   Endurance Crackers

We kicked some major mountain booty that day and I’d like to think the chia seed crackers had something to do with it. After all, the Aztecs and Mayans used chia seeds (known as a “running food”) for hundreds of years to fuel their long journeys!

As soon as I got home, I knew I had to bust out a version of these in my own kitchen. I was “running” on 3 hours of sleep thanks to a 4am wake-up call and the chocolate I was inhaling wasn’t making me feel any better. The chia crackers came to my rescue!

IMG 7224   Endurance Crackers

Endurance Crackers

These Endurance Crackers are extremely light and crispy while providing long-lasting energy. They are also vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free, sugar-free, and oil-free to boot! Feel free to change up the seasonings and spices as you wish. Nutritional info follows.

Print this recipe

Inspired by Chocolatree Café.

Yield: 22 large crackers

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup chia seeds*
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup pepita seeds (or pumpkin seeds)
  • 1/2 cup sesame seeds
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 large garlic clove, finely grated
  • 1 tsp grated sweet onion
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
  • Herbamare & kelp granules, to taste (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 325F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a large bowl, mix the seeds together. In a small bowl, mix the water, grated garlic, and grated onion. Whisk well. Pour the water mixture onto the seeds and stir until thick and combined. Season with salt, and optional Herbamare and Kelp granules, to taste. Add spices or fresh herbs if you wish.

3. Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet with the back of a spoon until it’s less than 1/4 inch thick. Not to worry if a couple parts become too thin, you can just patch them up.

4. Bake at 325F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, slice into crackers, carefully flip onto other side with a spatula. Bake for another 30 minutes, watching closely after about 25 minutes. The bottoms will be lightly golden in colour. Allow to cool completely on the pan. Store in a container or plastic baggy.

Note: See the bottom of this post for where you can purchase chia seeds.

Nutritional Info: (per cracker, makes 22 large crackers): 77 kcals, 6 grams fat, 4 grams carbs, 0 grams sugar, 3 grams fibre, 3 gram protein.

The nutritional stats are impressive, eh?

IMG 7206   Endurance Crackers

As I reached for my garlic powder, I thought why not use fresh garlic instead? My mom recently shared a trick with me for mincing garlic: just use a fine grater instead of chopping it. I used my Microplane and it was the perfect consistency for these crackers. Just be careful you don’t saw off the end of your nail like I almost did.

IMG 7191   Endurance Crackers

10 seconds flat for fresh garlic!

IMG 7194   Endurance Crackers

I also used the same method with the sweet onion.

After grating, I whisked the garlic and onion in a glass with the water (note: I ended up using a full cup of water instead of the 1/2 cup shown here).

IMG 7195   Endurance Crackers

Pour the water mixture into the seed mixture and stir well. It will be thick and gel-like in consistency.

IMG 7196   Endurance Crackers

Now season as you wish.

I used a mixture of Herbamare, kelp granules, and kosher salt for maximum flavour, but you can really play around with the seasonings any way you like! Add some spices too if you wish. Taste and adjust if necessary.

IMG 7204   Endurance Crackers

This picture hates me, clearly.

IMG 7207   Endurance Crackers

Spread onto your baking sheet lined with parchment (or a non-stick mat, but you will have to bake them a bit longer). You want to spread the mixture as thin as possible.

IMG 7200   Endurance Crackers

After baking for 30 minutes at 325F, remove from the oven and slice crackers with a pizza slicer.

IMG 7209   Endurance Crackers

I did a large diamond shape. You can do any size and shape you want, depending on how much ninja power you are looking for!

IMG 7212   Endurance Crackers

With a spatula, carefully flip the crackers and bake for another 30 minutes until toasty and golden on the bottom. Mmm.

IMG 7225   Endurance Crackers

My new favourite cracker, easily.

Not only are they vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, soy-free, nut-free, and sugar free, but they can be made raw if you dehydrate them.

IMG 7226   Endurance Crackers

After cooling, they are crispy, chewy, and basically mind blowing ninja fuel perfect for dipping into hummus. Eric said they taste better than the ones at Chocolatree, but he may be biased. I couldn’t get over how light and crispy they are!

IMG 7218   Endurance Crackers

The question is: Whose butt do you want to kick this week?

Your boss, tough assignment, killer workout, or midterm exam?

Go make a list of things to butt kick.

Eat these crackers.

Kick some butt, ninja style.

IMG 7232   Endurance Crackers

It’s like bird food, but waaaaay better.

Do you ever see a tired bird?

I rest my case.

~~

Many of you ask where you can buy chia seeds. If you are looking for an online retailer in the US, try www.chiaseedsdirect.com. I’ve found both of these businesses to have very competitive prices. You can also purchase chia seeds from bulk food stores like Bulk Barn here in Canada or in natural food stores! Update: More readers also told me Costco sells them (in the supplement section) and even Winners and Homesense! Who knew?

osgmom January 31, 2012

I can’t wait to make these crackers and really timely that I found Herbamare at Whole Foods yesterday!

Angela January 31, 2012

Glad to hear that you found it! Costco also has it if I remember correctly.

osgmom January 31, 2012

I wasn’t able to find it at the Costco here but I’ll keep checking :)

Michael March 28, 2013

I saw them at Spouts the other day in Bulk and containers.

Monica October 16, 2013

Just came across the endurance crackers picture and it looks delicious! I’d love to try it but I am having trouble pulling up the recipe. Could you repost the recipe or put it here in the comments. Thanks!

Joy June 8, 2014

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! It has inspired me to try my hand at making my own in the future. I found your site when I was looking for additional ideas for using my chia seeds, besides today’s breakfast pudding, which was my first attempt at eating them. Your recipe is saved in my vegan paleo favorites! Thanks a bunch!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh January 31, 2012

WOW! These look soooo good! Looks like they would be the perfect snack for work or after a workout.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 31, 2012

WOW< that was super quick!! I'll be buying all my seeds this weekend! :) Can't wait to try them… and I've just run out of the Mary's crackers you gave me so these will be my replacement! ;)

Emilia January 31, 2012

These look delicious! I love crackers, but these look like they’d be a tasty as well as a wholesome snack. Also, the idea of grating garlic is genius, so going to do that from now on!

Michael March 28, 2013

Does it make your fingers smell like garlic for days after? I guess it with keep the vampires away.

Ada August 5, 2013

for garlic smell on hands – put a small squirt of dishwashing liquid on a STAINLESS STEEL SPOON and using your fingers rub the dishwashing liguid like you are cleaning the spoon, making sure you rub the spoon on your hands where you touched the garlic, be sure to get under your nails a bit with the spoon. Rinse the spoon and your hands well. Smell all gone.

Lynda September 15, 2014

If you rub your fingers along a stainless steal knife under running water, you will have no garlic smell left on your hands! It really works!

MAURA January 31, 2012

Mmmm I am on those this afternoon! They look soooo good! I am a Mary’s cracker addict so these should bump those right out of the running! :-)

Maria @ Sinfully Nutritious January 31, 2012

I am getting the ingredients I don’t have and I am making this today. They look just like Dr. Krackers.
Great recipe. Thanks for sharing!!!

hannah alehandra January 31, 2012

Look so delicious! Especially with hummus mmm. Thanks for another cracking (geddit, hah.. oh dear) recipe!

haha love that

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 31, 2012

Haha, a tired bird…good point. They’re never really just chilling or relaxing. Always making some high pitched crazy noise or flying around. I think I could be super annoying if I eat these ;)

Grace @ What Grace Cooked January 31, 2012

I will have to try making these soon – I’ve been trying to find a homemade cracker recipe that I love, and these definitely seem like a good candidate!!! I’d like to kick the butt of my HM training program, so ninja power crackers would be helpful.

I love microplane-ing garlic – no big chunks, no press to clean, and super fast!

Melissa January 31, 2012

I cant wait to try these crackers, my family is gluten free due to myself and my daughter having celiac disease, i’m so excited to have a recipe to follow that i dont have to convert to gluten free!!! I’m constantly looking for healthy energizing snacks for us that we can easily gobble up!
i absolutly love your web site!!

Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl January 31, 2012

Wow these are amazing… just hope I can find all these ingredients abroad! x

Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten free January 31, 2012

These look awesome! I love chia seeds and these look like such crispy, perfect crackers. Yum!

SallyH January 31, 2012

Did you use toasted sunflower and pepita seeds, or did you toast them first? My seeds tend to be pretty moist. Will they toast up on the pan?

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 31, 2012

I’m so glad you re-created those crackers! These nutritionals are amazing. Can’t wait to try it!

Do you have a garlic press? I use that rather than a grater – much safer for your nails. :)

Angela January 31, 2012

No I don’t, but that would work too!

Stacy January 31, 2012

I of course have Herbamare as I live in Switzerland! Its a staple here :-) Chia seeds are harder to come by but I’ve already had some ordered and shipped to TX for our visit in 2 weeks. Thanks for the recipe!

Ashley Dodge January 31, 2012

These look really good! I have been looking for a good crunchy homemade cracker recipe, and I will be trying these! YUM.

Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) January 31, 2012

These look amazing. I can’t wait to try them and play around with the flavors. I’m a big Mary’s Cracker fan but it will be nice to have a change.

Anna @ On Anna's Plate January 31, 2012

Yum– love all the seedy goodness going on in these crackers!!!

sophie January 31, 2012

valid point indeed…never seen a tired bird – except the ol’ birds i work with ;)

thanks for the recipe!

katie@ KatieDid January 31, 2012

wow I’m surprised they stick together and form such a sturdy cracker using basically just seeds! I could definitely get all these seeds in the bulk section to save some money and make these.

Irini January 31, 2012

Ummmm, I am SO excited to make these! And dip them in hummus. Or crumble them over soup. The options are endless. Thanks for another awesome recipe!

Beth January 31, 2012

Those look so good! I’m glad you make some and shared the recipe. I was hoping you’d also recreate the Thai Rice Bowl you had there, but if you don’t, I might be able to figure it out. It looked really good, too.

Angela January 31, 2012

Thanks Beth, I will keep that in mind too!

Burnsy January 31, 2012

I’ll be making these today and trying them out on my kiddo’s. My taste buds are the easiest in the family to please! I haven’t heard of Herbamare before but I’ll be checking to see if they have it at Cosco when I go by later today! Thanks as always for the wonderful recipes that get me through the week!

Angela January 31, 2012

Great, please let me know what your kids think of them! I’m always curious about that.

Alexandria Lewis March 23, 2012

My son enjoyed them very much! He is nearly 15 months and being to have a food palate of his own and when I gave him half of my first cracker he ate it do quickly them reached his hand out for another :-)

I don’t have herbamere but they still are delicious without the add. I used 3 tbsp of nutrition yeast, 1/4 tsp salt, three pinches of kelp granulars, and everything as specified in the recipe. Thanks for this recipe.

janet @ the taste space January 31, 2012

Raw crackers have been my guilty pleasure lately. I love your flavouring ideas with the herbamere and kelp. I will have to try that next! :) And of course, also with the pepitas, etc you have in your crackers. :)

Vicki Thomas January 31, 2012

This is a great recipe! Thank-you! Looks like these will be a good replacement for my rice cakes… Wondering if it is possible to make them sweet as well – with some cocoa powder and cinnamon? What do you think?
Keep up the positivity – it is contagious!

vicki

Angela January 31, 2012

You read my mind! I think a sweet version would be wonderful.

Emily Rae February 1, 2012

I just made these as above, but added the tiniest drizzle of honey over top (’cause I like sweetandsalty). The fattiness of cocoa powder might change the structure of these, but you could swap out the spices no problem.

Ellen January 31, 2012

Do you think it would work to grind up the seeds (or most of them)? I find crackers made of whole seeds to be really hard to digest. Thanks!

Angela January 31, 2012

Good question! I think it would probably still work, as the chia seeds are the binding agent.

carmen February 1, 2012

I make a cracker that is very similar to this and all seeds are ground.

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie January 31, 2012

Hahaha love the “butt kicking clause” ;)

Ali January 31, 2012

I can’t wait to try these. Reminiscent of your salad toppers, one of my favourites!
I live in Canada (GTA) and I buy chia seeds at Costco.

Angela January 31, 2012

Oh really? Wow I will have to keep my eyes peeled for them next time I’m there!

Ali January 31, 2012

I usually find them in the pharmacy section with protein powders, etc. The container is 450g for $13.49. Late last fall they were “on sale” for $11.49!

sarah January 31, 2012

I grab chia seeds at Winners or Homesense all the time!

Ali January 31, 2012

Wow! I’ve never thought to look there!

Angela January 31, 2012

Wow I wouldn’t have looked in the pharmacy section either! No wonder why I haven’t seen them there. Good to know Winners also has them. I will add this to my post!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 31, 2012

I went on a cracker-making spree around the holidays last year, but mine definitely were nothing like this! These look so full of texture- I’m a big fan of that. I’ll have to try this one out asap- this would be great for Superbowl munchies along with some hummus (or a bunch of other spreads/dips I can think of)!
I also love that I have all of these ingredients on hand, except for the pepitas. That’s nothing a quick trip to the store can’t fix. :)

Grace - Love Your Healthy Life January 31, 2012

These look amazing! I’ve been searching for a good gluten free cracker substitute. Thank you for ending my search : )

Emily C. January 31, 2012

I’m excited to try these. I bought a few big bags of chia seed from a co-op order and wasn’t sure what to do with them. Sometimes I toss them in smoothies…what are some of your other chia favorites?

Angela January 31, 2012

hey Emily, Here are a bunch of my recipes with chia seeds!

Amanda January 31, 2012

Awesome snack idea and the nutritional stats are great! I really like that you can bake them too. I would love to buy a dehydrator, but for now, I’ll be relying on my oven.

Time for a visit to the Whole Foods’ bulk bins…

Jasper Naomi @ crunchylittlebites January 31, 2012

I love using the grater or the garlic press….I just wish I had a little person around who was always in chrage of “doing” the garlic…blick it’s my least favorite task because it leaves my fingers all stinky!

you are too funny! ever seen a fatigues bird?! so cute!

your crackewrs look yummier that the restaurant ones, no lie Angela!

Sarah January 31, 2012

Mmm I wish I was not at work so I could make these right now! I will definitely be going to the bulk barn tonight to get the ingrediants :)

I found Herbamare at the Superstore last week in Georgetown and got all excited. Im sure if someone was around me they would of wondered what was wrong with me lol I have been looking everywhere for it ever since you mentioned it!

Thanks for the recipe! Enjoy this beautiful sunny day :)

Angela January 31, 2012

haha don’t worry I do the same thing when I find something in a grocery store. It was my mother in law who got me hooked on Herbamare. It’s so tasty! I’m really liking the kelp granules too. I didn’t realize they are low in sodium.

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes January 31, 2012

Awesome. They’re kind of like Dr. Kracker. But with Chia!

Mandy Jo January 31, 2012

These look amazing! Can’t wait to try them in hopes of kicking my boss’ butt tomorrow! :)
Is there anything that can be used in place of the herbamare and kelp seasonings?

Angela January 31, 2012

More salt would probably do the trick as well as some spices or other seasonings.

Joanna January 31, 2012

Yay! I’m excited that you had to make these quickly :) This weekend’s baking project :) :)

xvavaveganx January 31, 2012

Thank you for this recipe! I always struggle to find the perfect pre-workout snack and some of these crackers with some hummus will definitely be perfect! I can’t wait to try this!

Heidi @ Food Doodles January 31, 2012

Oooh, I’m going to try these for sure. They look like they’d be so awesome with hummus :D

Kelly January 31, 2012

These sound delicious…I too am a big fan of Mary’s Gone Crackers crackers but these look like they’ll be even better. I can’t believe how quickly you recreated these when you got home – you definitely ROCK!

Page 1 of 612345»...Last »