Peak A Boo

IMG_1577  IMG_6434

Thanks to your helpful suggestions, we had hiking on the brain this morning!

IMG_6474

Eric and I headed over to Pinnacle Peak for a 3.75 mile there-and-back trek along the mountains. Tomorrow, we have Camelback Mountain on the agenda which many of you raved about. Opportunities for hiking are everywhere around here! We’ve never hiked along this kind of desert terrain before and it’s incredible to see.

First we filled up our tanks. My mom made us these juicy fruit parfaits to go along with our breakfast fare.

IMG_1557IMG_1566

I had another Green Monster made up of kale, frozen banana, blueberries, protein powder, almond milk, and ice. Unfortunately I found out that the Maranatha dark chocolate almond butter isn’t vegan like I thought, so that was left out this time. I think I got it mixed up with Justin’s chocolate almond butter in all my sleep deprivation excitement.

If you are looking for a vegan dark chocolate almond butter recipe, you are in luck because I made one last year that tastes incredible!

IMG_1568

Green moustache ensued.

IMG_1582 IMG_1581

The trail was challenging, but not overly so (rated “moderate”), wrapping all along the sides of a couple summits with some butt-busting inclines. My glutes were actually sore by the end of the 3.75 mile hike! Buns of steel here I come.

Not.

IMG_6460

After wrapping the side of the first summit, we looked over to the second and said, “We’re going all the way over there too?”

Yes, yes we were.

IMG_1605

It’s always fun to reach the peak of the trail.

IMG_1599 IMG_1620

IMG_1601 IMG_6429IMG_6438

Mad respect for the Saguaro.

IMG_1610IMG_6435

The hike took about 1 hour and 20 minutes (including photography) and boy did we work up an appetite in the process.

We enjoyed Holiday Soup for the Soul for a comforting post hike lunch!

IMG_1626

Along with buns, apples, leftover tomato salad, hummus, and celery/carrots.

IMG_1628

IMG_1632 IMG_1636

And an apple + dark chocolate squares for dessert.

IMG_1637

We spent the afternoon relaxing and catching up! It’s been a while since we’ve been able to spend this much time together, so it’s been nice to visit with my parents.

Dinner was filled with an array of roasted vegetables, along with something that I often overlook- couscous! I always forget how much I enjoy couscous, especially when paired with sautéed greens and mushrooms.

IMG_1666

We adapted the roasted vegetable dish from the Whitewater Cooks Cookbook. It’s filled with roasted zucchini, red peppers, eggplant, yams, purple cauliflowers, beets, fennel, basil, and parsnip, all coated in a balsamic maple dressing. We weren’t thrilled about the cup of oil that the original recipe called for so I just mixed the dressing ingredients to taste. I ended up using 1/3-1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette, 3-4 tbsp maple syrup, 4 tsp Dijon mustard, 2 minced garlic cloves, 2 tbsp olive oil, and1/2 tsp kosher salt, pepper. The outcome was a sweet maple balsamic dressing that paired well with the roasted veggies…no cup of oil required.

IMG_1655

and the couscous with sautéed spinach and button mushrooms in a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper. I could eat bowls and bowls of this simple dish. Mom, John, and Eric also has some BBQ’d chicken to go along with dinner.

IMG_1659

Now we’re sitting here debating whether to catch a movie at the theatre tonight. Anyone see any good movies lately?

1 Elizabeth February 2, 2012

I was so excited to see this post! We have a place in Arizona, and one of the first things we do every trip is go to Pinnacle Peak!

2 Jenn (eating bender) January 30, 2012

Ahhh!!! Pinnacle Peak is where my family and I hike most often. You are truly making me miss home with these recaps, but they are beautiful. I’m so glad you had a good trip in my favorite state!

3 Eva January 30, 2012

Hey Angela! I love your green monster recipe my bf and I make one every morning! I want to start adding protein to my smoothie and was wondering what kind of protein powder you use. Thanks!! and I love your blog :)

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2012

Thanks Eva! I use Garden of Life Raw Protein Powder right now & im loving it! It’s not sweetened though, so you will need to add frozen banana or whatnot to smoothies.

5 Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles January 29, 2012

I love that you got to have so many fun hiking adventures!

6 Helene January 25, 2012

When you are visiting Sedona you MUST go to the Enchantment Resort and have lunch, or at least a prickly pear margharita in their lounge. The views from the restaurant are spectacular. Also, try to tour the spa – it is incredibly beautiful.

7 Melissa Ulrich January 25, 2012

Looks like such a lovely vacation! “War Horse” was fantastic! I am a huge fan of your writing and recipes. You are definitely an artist in every sense…an artist of tastes and colors and words. I became a vegan last October and finding your website was a blessing. Thank you for being you and for encouraging us all to glow from the inside out. :-)

8 Rachel January 24, 2012

You should go to Green on Scottsdale Rd in Tempe!!!! I highly recommend the spinach artichoke dip. Mmmmm!

9 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! January 24, 2012

I love Pinnacle Peak!! My aunt lives right by there and we always go hiking there and at Camelback whenever we go to visit!!! Such beautiful places! Looks like you guys are eating well at your moms house!!! I am seriously drooling over every meal you post about!!

10 Kelsey January 24, 2012

Welcome to AZ!
Where did you find the purple cauliflower?? I live in Gilbert (part of the Phoenix valley). If you hike Camelback tomorrow, be sure to hike the Echo Canyon side. It is definitely my favorite! Not to mention, quite the challenge. You will get to parts and think… “Are you SERIOUS?!” It is fun! If your going to be here much longer, and are looking for one more good and long hike try Flat Iron. It is at the Superstitions, the east part of the valley. It is fun and extremely steep! The view is awesome from the top!! It takes a few hours but is worth it! My husband and I were actually talking about hiking it this week too. Have fun while your here!!!

11 KC January 24, 2012

I’ve been reading your blog for YEARS so it was super cool to see somewhere that I recognized!!! I hiked that same peak on a road trip from Florida to Cali two summers ago! :D

12 Maria @ Sinfully Nutritious January 24, 2012

That hiking trail looks like such a great place to be. The meals you made sound great. I love parfaits of fruit and soy yogurt with granola on top. YUM.

13 Katie January 24, 2012

Hello from Tucson! I was in Tempe last week, and ate at this new place – Pomegranate Cafe. Vegan, some raw, lots of juices, and tons of delish deserts!

I saw the new Mission Impossible and it’s pretty fun.

14 Nicole January 24, 2012

WarHorse!
Enjoy your travels.

15 Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie January 24, 2012

So glad you decided to do Camelback! It’s a blast.

Also, if you get a chance, there’s some great Ethiopian food places nearby.

Perfect for post-hike fuel :)

16 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats January 24, 2012

Goodness it looks beautiful there! The food doesn’t look too bad either. ;-) I haven’t seen too many movies, but I thought The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was very good (but intense). I also saw Hugo a couple days ago and thought it was pretty good!

17 Robin January 24, 2012

Hi! I have a quick question on your chocolate almond butter. Do you soak your raw almonds before processing them?

Thanks! (I’ll be in Phoenix in a couple weeks. I may take your same hike if I have the time – looks amazing!)

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Hi Robin, No I didnt soak them. Enjoy!

19 Kalee January 24, 2012

That trail is gorgeous!! I wish we had the weather and parks to go to right now. I’m so jealous of the AZ weather!

I haven’t rented any movies lately, but I’ve heard great things about Moneyball. I think that’s what our Friday night movie! :)

20 Diane January 24, 2012

Have a great time. I was in Phoenix last August for the first time ever, I loved it, but didnt get much hiking, as it was 117 degrees!! We did walk up to the rock with a hole in it across from the airport. It was beautiful, but an easy climb :-)

21 Laura Dickerson January 24, 2012

Ah Camelback is my favorite! Cholla trail is a longer, more interval workout-style trail. Echo is a little shorter, but much steeper! They both meet at the top and are great workouts!

22 Moni'sMeals January 24, 2012

what a dream day! Fun hike and then all the good eats…and then a talk of a movie! My dream day for sure. :)

23 laura January 24, 2012

Those cacti are wonderfully photographed! I want to hike in arizona.. one day. :)

24 suzanne January 24, 2012

What fabulous food on vacation! I tend to shy away from really cooking while away (unless it is just my husband and kids and me) as no one else seems to eat like me. It is so wonderful that you all can eat such great, healthy food – and they can add things here or there as needed (meat!). Looks like a wonderful get away – and what great time you and Eric get with your Mom and John. Time like that is a gift to be sure :-)

25 Kit-Kat January 24, 2012

Couscous is one of my favorite go-to foods! In the spring, I love to make couscous garbanzo bean salad with spring veggies and a light garlic vinegarette. it’s reeeeeeeeally good!

26 Molly January 24, 2012

Some restaurant recommendations while you are in the Phoenix area: Green New American Vegetarian Restaurant (although it boasts a menu largely composed of meat analogues, there are some yummy dishes, including the famous TSOYNAMI, which is essentially a vegan Dairy Queen blizzard), True Food Kitchen, and Chakra 4 Herb and Tea House (they have a colossal menu of teas and deliciously fresh salads and wraps that can be made vegan upon request). Happy dining!

27 lyndsay January 24, 2012

ps – if you go to the vegetarian house, you must try the seven heaven salad. if you go to true foods, you need to try the tuscan kale sald :) enjoy!

28 lyndsay January 24, 2012

while you are here, you should check out the supreme master ching hai’s vegetarian house (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/22/264675/restaurant/Biltmore-Arcadia/Supreme-Master-Ching-Hai-Vegetarian-House-Phoenix) and true food kitchen (http://www.truefoodkitchen.com/). they are both delish. two of my absolute favorite places to eat!

29 Jessica January 24, 2012

Yayy I’m glad you’re loving our state! :) When you hike Camelback, you should start on the Echo Canyon side. It’s more challenging, but it’s a better hike, in my opinion. ENJOY!! :D

30 Jennifer January 24, 2012

Angela!

I have been reading your blog for a few YEARS now and these days I am too busy to keep up every day. I just so happened to check in and find that you are in my CITY! I see you’ve gotten some great recommendations above on places to check out, but I HAVE to tell you about the Phoenix Public Market. They have an open air market on Wednesday evenings beginning at 4PM where they sell local, fresh produce and they cook up some amazing food. Seriously, I don’t think your trip would be complete without a visit to PPM. If you are in town Saturday they do a winter chef series and it’s awesome. Check out their website: http://foodconnect.org/phxmarket/?page_id=25. Camelback will kick your butt, but you will LOVE IT! Glad to see you are in my neck of the woods. Any meet ups while you are in town?

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Thank you Jennifer! Not sure about a meet up, if time permits I will certainly announce it on the blog! My mom has a packed schedule so we’ll see. :)

32 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 24, 2012

Glad to hear you’re having a good time! We LOVED mission impossible. I was very, very surprised by it. So much better than the last one with all the masks and stolen identities. You really don’t need to have watched the previous movies to enjoy this one. It’s an on-the-edge-of-your-seat movie. Definitely worth seeing in theaters.

33 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 24, 2012

Looks like it was a great hike. I love fitting in hikes when we vacation. It’s so much better to discover a new place by foot!

34 Amber K January 24, 2012

Hiking always kicks my hunger into high gear. The food looks amazing. Purple cauliflower is one of my favorite veggies ever!

35 Eryn January 24, 2012

Okay, WHERE did you find those AMAZING sunglasses in your post picture, as well as that white jacket in yesterday’s post that you were wearing on the way to the airport? You have such great style!

36 VeggieGirl January 24, 2012

What a healthy day all around! You’re good, when I hike I use it as an excuse to stop at a local resteraunt afterwards and restock up on calories, especially if on vacation!

37 Christine (The Brighter Side of Life) January 24, 2012

The food you’re eating looks amazing! YUM.

I went to AZ once on business and it’s a great spot. The landscape is so different from Ontario, it’s incredible. Beautiful, just different. More like a moonscape. And I had no idea that cacti grow so old!

I’m so craving hiking right now. Enjoy!!

38 Morgan January 24, 2012

One of my best friends lives in Phoenix and we’ve hiked Camelback when I’ve been out to visit. It’s probably one of my favorite hikes I’ve been on. There are some incredibly strenuous parts that make you so proud to accomplish, and the views are breathtaking. Enjoy it!

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

it was amaaaaazing!

40 Morgan January 26, 2012

SO glad you did it!! I had the exact same feelings going up. Like, WHAT did I get myself into. And then just kicking that mountain’s butt! : )

41 Mandy Jo January 24, 2012

Anytime I am tempted to eat chicken I will think of this! GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!
(sorry, I had to share)

42 Lea January 24, 2012

Go see War Horse…..violence is not gratuitous…..actually very thought provoking and heart warming. Spielberg is a master…….

43 Kris | iheartwellness.com January 24, 2012

I’m madly in love with your sunglasses!!! What brand are they??

What a gorgeous hike, gorgeous food and a gorgeous DAY!!! WOO HOOO

xxoo

44 Grace @ What Grace Cooked January 24, 2012

What a beautiful hike!! And hiking always makes me SO.HUNGRY. Like, more than running for the same amount of time! Weird, right?

I saw Girl with the Dragon Tattoo recently, and thought it was good (the book and Swedish version are better) – but be warned that it is dark and could be pretty disturbing if you don’t know what to expect. I have also heard that the new Sherlock Holmes is very good.

45 Krystal January 24, 2012

love love love hiking in the Phoenix area. My husband actually proposed on Pinnacle Peak. :) Just a little warning – Camelback is a lot more work than Pinnacle. We were told it was a slightly harder trail, I wish I would had a snack to enjoy when we got to the top of Camelback. Have fun!

46 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

awww thats so cute! Congrats :)

47 Ashley January 24, 2012

Hey I noticed that you’ve been really into the tea lately. Have you ever worked with loose leaf tea? There is an amazing tea shop that has a location in a mall in Phoenix called ‘Teavana’ if you happen to pop by Baltimore Fashion park I was just there last week and they had tons of yummy teas to try, and I know they will be opening locations around Toronto this year too!

48 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

I love Teavana (and loose leaf!), but Ive been cheaping out and buying bagged tea lately. I must get some more loose leaf.

49 Elizabeth January 24, 2012

The Iron Lady is supposed to be good as well as Tinker Taylor. Go to the Ipic theatre, its really cool and in Scottsdale. Its a modern take on the old school movie theatres where you can get a glass of wine or some food brought to you during the movie!

50 Kathy January 24, 2012

Have always wanted to see Arizona but was told there are scorpions, tarantulas and rattle snakes everywhere – even on your porches. Always scared to go. Did you see any while hiking? The landscape looks beautiful. The weather looks really nice too.

51 Cat @Breakfast to Bed January 24, 2012

The hiking looks simply beautiful. Enjoy.

52 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 24, 2012

I am so, so jealous of your hike!! It makes me ache for winter to be over and to get out west!!
And of course, as always, the food looks incredible too. :)
Have fun!!

53 Andrea @ Vegvacious January 24, 2012

We saw “We Bought a Zoo” over the holidays! I wasn’t that interested in it but my husband really wanted to go and we both loved it! It’s a heart-warming feel good flick!

Love those pictures! We always say we’re going to retire to Arizona!!

54 Emily (Edible Psychology) January 24, 2012

I love the pictures with the great big cacti! I haven’t been anywhere with that sort of terrain since I was too little to remember, but it makes me want to go!

I have a cous cous dish on the menu for this week for the first time in ages, and your pictures and description make me even more anxious to eat it!

Glad you are getting some time away, and time with your mom. Enjoy!
~Emily~

55 Megan January 24, 2012

I hiked Pinnacle yesterday too! Glad you’re enjoying your time in beautiful AZ!

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Oh awesome stuff! It was fun…and not too hot which was nice :)

57 Sara January 24, 2012

You should come down to Tucson and do Seven Falls. It’s gorgeous when the waters running!

58 Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy January 24, 2012

Beautiful pictures! Sounds like you are having an amazing time!

59 Cait's Plate January 24, 2012

It’s SO beautiful there!!!

60 Jennifer January 24, 2012

You’re in my town! Camelback is a great choice! May I make a recommendation, if you have tried Camelback ever before, to go up the back end (ie the camel’s “bum”) which is the Cholla trailhead? It’s longer and much more lovely IMHO than the Echo Canyon trailhead. I used Cholla trailhead frequently when I was training myself to hike the Grand Canyon – it’s a good hike! You get some beautiful views of the San Francisco Peaks and Superstition Mountains not to mention a peak in the “back yard” of the Phoenician resort. I’m sure you have many recommendations, already, but feel free to email me if you want to try anything new – I have a pretty good pulse on what’s new and unique to Phoenix (I love this town and I regularly advise friends on new things to try and do). I hope our weather stays lovely for you – we have a bit of an overcast (one of our 8 days of cloudiness a year).

61 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Thank you so much! I appreciate your help. We hiked the Camelback today….it was killer and amazing in so many ways. WOW. Im not sure what side we hiked though, but I think it was the less difficult one!

62 Jennifer January 27, 2012

Your pictures look like you did Echo Canyon. I can tell by that horrid bar up the granite. That’s a beast on my knees! Enjoy the weather and the sunsets. Sedona is gorgeous – you will absolutely love it. There is no other place on the planet like it. I suggest taking the 89A when you get to Sedona up to the top of Oak Creek and then driving that back down through Jerome (the sweetest copper mining town turned artist community you will have ever seen) on your way back into Phoenix. It will add on about 30 minutes to the drive home but the views will be worth ever minute. If you like wine, you can stop in Cottonwood (and Jerome) to visit some tasting rooms for some of the Arizona wineries (don’t expect to find any cabs in the tasting rooms – we grow totally different grapes here).

63 claire farrren January 24, 2012

SO jealous! I used to live in Scottsdale and got enganged near the top of Camelback Mountain. I loved hiking out there! I loved hiking up north in the mountains too, Sedona is really beautiful if you get the chance to get out there to both hike and shop. Have fun!

64 Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves January 24, 2012

It never ceases to amaze me how vibrant purple cauliflower is! So much more exciting than the mundane, normal white variety.

65 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove January 24, 2012

That Holiday Soup for the Soul looks wonderful!

66 Liz January 24, 2012

Those roasted veggies look amazing! Could you post the recipe?

67 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 24, 2012

How cool! I love hiking in new areas, but I never hiked in the dessert! What a fun and wonderful trip so far. I can’t wait to see what else you do.

68 Jennifer January 24, 2012

Man, you are making me miss Phoenix big time (lived there for 2 years)!! Especially this time of year. Enjoy your trip!! Are you going to Sedona while you are there? I think it’s up there as one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Hey Jennifer, Yes we will certainly be going to Sedona :)

70 Stephanie January 24, 2012

So weird to see all the pictures of AZ! I live in Phoenix and now I’m wondering if I’m going to just see you out somewhere! I saw the latest Mission Impossible movie last weekend (and it was just about the last movie I wanted to see – I agreed to go because my fiance has been requesting it for weeks) and it was really great. It was funny and exciting and pretty much just totally worthwhile.

71 Eselpee January 24, 2012

The Phoenix area is also home to several amaizing vegan restaurants: 24 Carrots (Chandler), Pomegranate Café (Ahwatukee), Chef Sara raw vegan signature creations (Cave Creek). Greens (Tempe) is also very popular, but they specialize in faux meat which is not my style. Tsom (Tempe) is inexpensive and well received.

I am in LA right now, and I think we are sending you some rain!

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

73 Alexsis Moore January 24, 2012

I think I’m a little late in movie suggestions, but I’d you haven’t seen The Artist yet, it is a beautiful movie!!

Also, like a bunch of other commenters, this post makes me incredibly jealous! All our hiking paths are covered in snow right now!

74 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon January 24, 2012

GREAT pictures–I especially love the one of you and Eric!

75 Jamie Rene January 24, 2012

I haven’t gotten to hike in ages, now I’m aching for a vacation!! What beautiful scenery!! And I will be making myself a green monster here shortly NOMS!!
Side bar: I’m new to your blog, and I just don’t know how I went without it for so long!!

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Thank you Jamie, I’m glad you found it!

77 Michelle Kuliszkiewicz January 24, 2012

by the way, I love your sunglasses!!!

78 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Thanks Michelle :)

79 Cassie @ Back to Her Roots January 24, 2012

I have to say, I am so happy to see that you are posting some of your daily shenanigans again. I love your recipes, but I also love mixing in a little bit about what you do in your day-to-day life. :)

80 LizAshlee January 24, 2012

We went on a short hike last weekend but I am SO looking forward to hiking in warmer weather!!!! Spring…hurry!

Enjoy a beautiful day!!!! YOU deserve it! xo

81 katie@ KatieDid January 24, 2012

ohh hiking out west is so different from the thick foresty mountains I’m used to on the east coast. Such gorgeous terrain though, arizona is so beautiful! Glad you’re having a relaxing time with family!

82 Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous January 24, 2012

What pretty pics!

83 Natalie @fitjamericangirl.com January 24, 2012

I wish I lived somewhere with a hiking trail. Alas, where I live is so flat there’s just no need. That Saguaro is amazing!

84 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 24, 2012

Your hiking pictures are making me wish spring would get here faster! I love hiking along the Bruce Trail when the weather is warmer.

A CUP of oil!? That seems so unnecessary! 2 tbsp is the perfect amount for a batch of roasted veggies in my opinion.

85 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 24, 2012

how beautiful!! Love these pics! They food looks fantastic as well :)

86 Anne January 24, 2012

You HAVE to see Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Its a tearjerker, but an amazing movie (and book, for that matter). I HIGHLY recommend it to everyone!

Your photos are beautiful – I wish I was able to go hiking in AZ instead of shovelling snow over here in New England. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

87 Laura January 24, 2012

I feel like I have to post something, I’m a virgin poster which means I just enjoy reading your posts on the train to work. However, I feel like you have been connecting me to my roots lately. Last fall you came to new York and gave me some wonderful ideas for restaurants to try as I just moved here two years ago. THEN, you went to San Diego which is where I grew up…. Love those sea lions! And now you’re in Scottsdale which I lived for three years. I used to hike pinnecle peak all the time. I always loved the tourists who walked to the tallest point (sometimes weakening jeans) and walked right back down even though the trail is really just beginning! Check out pita jungle, one of my favorite lunch or casual dinner places there! The hummus is
Awesome!!!

88 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Hey Laura! Thanks for your comment…how awesome that you have been in all those places. I will definitely check out Pita Jungle, thanks for the recommendation!

89 Karen January 24, 2012

Laura, you’re spot on! Pita Jungle’s hummus is so good, and I love their lentil fettoush or roasted veggie salads as well. I do love Green and Nami, but it’s very processed American fare, so I only go there to treat myself once in a while. And True Food’s good, but they only have a couple vegan items — their kale salad (w/o cheese) is the best! I’ve copied it to make for myself at home all the time.

90 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh January 24, 2012

I love that you still get wonderful, yummy food in while you travel! Looks like a fun hike, well as long as you don’t accidentally trip and fall into a mondo cactus! ;)

91 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

it’s bound to happen ;)

92 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 24, 2012

What a great hike!! I absolutely love hiking and wish I had put more effort into finding places to hike this past summer. (It’s on my list for this year though!) The scenery looks amazing, and all that wonderful food you’ve been enjoying does too! I hope you enjoy Camelback Mountain too. Your mom is so lucky to have a house in such a gorgeous place!

93 Amanda January 24, 2012

It’s incredible how much a good hike revs your appetite. All of your food looks wonderful, especially the roasted veggies and purple (!!) cauliflower. One of my pet peeves is when recipes/restaurants drench veggies in tons of oil. It’s so unnecessary!

94 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 24, 2012

I’m so jealous seeing these PHX pics! I lived in Scottsdale for 7 years and miss it so much. Can’t wait to see your Camelback photos.

95 Karlee January 24, 2012

i love love love couscous. i recently made soup with garlic, onion, mushroom, spinach, veg broth, thyme, couscous, braggs, balsamic, and a splash of red wine! so good and easy.

96 Tessa @ Amazing Asset January 24, 2012

Wow those cacti are fantastic! I am loving all of your food too… it looks so fresh, healthy and tasty!

97 morgan January 24, 2012

wow! that looks so fun!
i love hiking

98 Alex @ Raw Recovery January 24, 2012

I’ve heard that the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is excellent but disturbing. The new Sherlock Holmes is pretty fantastic, so I’d recommend that.

99 Nadiya @ Milk and Honey January 24, 2012

That looked like a fun hike :) Do you know any good hiking places in Canada? :P

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

oh there are a ton of them. You should actually check out this blog called http://hikingwithbarry.com/ he does a ton of hiking in Canada (lots in Alberta) and in the US. Around our place we love Rattlesnake Point, Crawford Lake, Hilton Falls, etc.

101 Nadiya @ Milk and Honey January 25, 2012

Thank :) Lol I haven’t been anywhere other than Rattlesnake poimt :(

102 This Fit Chick January 24, 2012

Love all the fresh food!!! you look great!

103 Renee January 24, 2012

Looks awesome! I like your pants. Who makes them?

104 Amy @ contented corner January 24, 2012

I love the landscape, it looks like Mars!! There is nowhere that looks as cool as that in the Uk!

Again, all the food looks so scrummy & healthy… I see now why you look so gorgeous after such a hike, you are a picture of health x

105 hannah alehandra January 24, 2012

Wow! Love what you’ve been eating, Angela. Do you ever count how many vegetables portions you go through on average a day? I’d be really interested to know you should do a post on it :) The hike looks wonderful. Hope you’re enjoying yourself sweetheart. Love from England.

106 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

I don’t tend to count portions or servings and it varies a lot each day. When I’m home and working, I tend to get lazy with my own meals, but my veggies have been pretty frequent here so far…thanks to mom. heh

107 Janet January 24, 2012

Looks like a great trip. The hiking looks amazing. I took up hiking a few years ago and hike alot on the Bruce Trail – Ontario’s longest hiking trail and love it all year round. You may get hooked on hiking. One of my favourite cookbooks is the Whitewater Cooks – recipes are amazing.

108 Brooke January 24, 2012

If you like a lot of suspense and a little action, Contraband with Mark Wahlberg was really really good. It was one of the best movies my husband and I have seen come out in theatres in awhile!

109 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Thanks, Eric was rooting for that one!

110 Drisana (SoulShineBlog) January 24, 2012

The food looks great, especially those roasted veggies! And, wow, saguaros look so cool, sort of like they belong on the moon :)

111 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 24, 2012

Too ironic that for the 9 mos I lived in Phoenix, I looked at Pinnacle Peak every day from my kitchen window. I lived in the Scottsdale area and hiked that thing quite often.

Glad you and Eric have this time together, traveling, and get to see your parents, too.

And of course, the food looks great. YUM!

112 CJ January 24, 2012

Great looking food! Go see War Horse, but carry a tissue. ;)

113 Grace - Love Your Healthy Life January 24, 2012

What a fun adventure! Now I officially wish I was living with you and could eat all of that fabulous food with you! So yummy!! : )

114 Tia @ Veggies and Pearls January 24, 2012

For a movie, you should see Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close! It’s darling, I really enjoyed it.

115 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 24, 2012

Those roasted veggies look awesome – I always cut back the oil too. I don’t know why people think so much is necessary.

I just saw Tinker Taylor and loved it. I also saw Shame and hated it… and definitely not a “Mom-safe” movie. ;)

116 Robin January 24, 2012

Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog tonight and I’m fascinated that you happen to be in my city! Have fun hiking Camelback, its a fun hike :)

117 lisa February 15, 2012

This is going to sound so crazy, but I was there this morning too! I am on twitter and one of my followers (who is a reader of your blog) said NO WAY!!! A girls blog I follow hiked the same mountain this morning too! Crazy small world!

118 Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco January 24, 2012

Wow, what a hike! And all the food looks wonderful. ;) I’m so glad you’re having fun!

P.S. Now I really want a GM.

119 Caitlin January 24, 2012

oh i see. Purple cauliflower. I should learn how to read and not just look at pictures. ahhaha

120 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

heh no worries :)

121 Caitlin January 24, 2012

those Saguaro’s are crazy! Love cactus’…

Is that broccoli purple?! Or dyed from the beet root? Looks yum!

122 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Yes it is. My first time trying it :) very good!