Peak A Boo

IMG 1577 thumb   Peak A Boo  IMG 6434 thumb   Peak A Boo

Thanks to your helpful suggestions, we had hiking on the brain this morning!

IMG 6474 thumb   Peak A Boo

Eric and I headed over to Pinnacle Peak for a 3.75 mile there-and-back trek along the mountains. Tomorrow, we have Camelback Mountain on the agenda which many of you raved about. Opportunities for hiking are everywhere around here! We’ve never hiked along this kind of desert terrain before and it’s incredible to see.

First we filled up our tanks. My mom made us these juicy fruit parfaits to go along with our breakfast fare.

IMG 1557 thumb1   Peak A BooIMG 1566 thumb   Peak A Boo

I had another Green Monster made up of kale, frozen banana, blueberries, protein powder, almond milk, and ice. Unfortunately I found out that the Maranatha dark chocolate almond butter isn’t vegan like I thought, so that was left out this time. I think I got it mixed up with Justin’s chocolate almond butter in all my sleep deprivation excitement.

If you are looking for a vegan dark chocolate almond butter recipe, you are in luck because I made one last year that tastes incredible!

IMG 1568 thumb   Peak A Boo

Green moustache ensued.

IMG 1582 thumb   Peak A Boo IMG 1581 thumb1   Peak A Boo

The trail was challenging, but not overly so (rated “moderate”), wrapping all along the sides of a couple summits with some butt-busting inclines. My glutes were actually sore by the end of the 3.75 mile hike! Buns of steel here I come.

Not.

IMG 6460 thumb   Peak A Boo

After wrapping the side of the first summit, we looked over to the second and said, “We’re going all the way over there too?”

Yes, yes we were.

IMG 1605 thumb   Peak A Boo

It’s always fun to reach the peak of the trail.

IMG 1599 thumb   Peak A Boo IMG 1620 thumb   Peak A Boo

IMG 1601 thumb   Peak A Boo IMG 6429 thumb   Peak A BooIMG 6438 thumb   Peak A Boo

Mad respect for the Saguaro.

IMG 1610 thumb   Peak A BooIMG 6435 thumb   Peak A Boo

The hike took about 1 hour and 20 minutes (including photography) and boy did we work up an appetite in the process.

We enjoyed Holiday Soup for the Soul for a comforting post hike lunch!

IMG 1626 thumb   Peak A Boo

Along with buns, apples, leftover tomato salad, hummus, and celery/carrots.

IMG 1628 thumb   Peak A Boo

IMG 1632 thumb   Peak A Boo IMG 1636 thumb   Peak A Boo

And an apple + dark chocolate squares for dessert.

IMG 1637 thumb   Peak A Boo

We spent the afternoon relaxing and catching up! It’s been a while since we’ve been able to spend this much time together, so it’s been nice to visit with my parents.

Dinner was filled with an array of roasted vegetables, along with something that I often overlook- couscous! I always forget how much I enjoy couscous, especially when paired with sautéed greens and mushrooms.

IMG 1666 thumb   Peak A Boo

We adapted the roasted vegetable dish from the Whitewater Cooks Cookbook. It’s filled with roasted zucchini, red peppers, eggplant, yams, purple cauliflowers, beets, fennel, basil, and parsnip, all coated in a balsamic maple dressing. We weren’t thrilled about the cup of oil that the original recipe called for so I just mixed the dressing ingredients to taste. I ended up using 1/3-1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette, 3-4 tbsp maple syrup, 4 tsp Dijon mustard, 2 minced garlic cloves, 2 tbsp olive oil, and1/2 tsp kosher salt, pepper. The outcome was a sweet maple balsamic dressing that paired well with the roasted veggies…no cup of oil required.

IMG 1655 thumb   Peak A Boo

and the couscous with sautéed spinach and button mushrooms in a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper. I could eat bowls and bowls of this simple dish. Mom, John, and Eric also has some BBQ’d chicken to go along with dinner.

IMG 1659 thumb   Peak A Boo

Now we’re sitting here debating whether to catch a movie at the theatre tonight. Anyone see any good movies lately?

Caitlin January 24, 2012

those Saguaro’s are crazy! Love cactus’…

Is that broccoli purple?! Or dyed from the beet root? Looks yum!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Yes it is. My first time trying it :) very good!

Caitlin January 24, 2012

oh i see. Purple cauliflower. I should learn how to read and not just look at pictures. ahhaha

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

heh no worries :)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco January 24, 2012

Wow, what a hike! And all the food looks wonderful. ;) I’m so glad you’re having fun!

P.S. Now I really want a GM.

Robin January 24, 2012

Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog tonight and I’m fascinated that you happen to be in my city! Have fun hiking Camelback, its a fun hike :)

lisa February 15, 2012

This is going to sound so crazy, but I was there this morning too! I am on twitter and one of my followers (who is a reader of your blog) said NO WAY!!! A girls blog I follow hiked the same mountain this morning too! Crazy small world!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 24, 2012

Those roasted veggies look awesome – I always cut back the oil too. I don’t know why people think so much is necessary.

I just saw Tinker Taylor and loved it. I also saw Shame and hated it… and definitely not a “Mom-safe” movie. ;)

Tia @ Veggies and Pearls January 24, 2012

For a movie, you should see Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close! It’s darling, I really enjoyed it.

Grace - Love Your Healthy Life January 24, 2012

What a fun adventure! Now I officially wish I was living with you and could eat all of that fabulous food with you! So yummy!! : )

CJ January 24, 2012

Great looking food! Go see War Horse, but carry a tissue. ;)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 24, 2012

Too ironic that for the 9 mos I lived in Phoenix, I looked at Pinnacle Peak every day from my kitchen window. I lived in the Scottsdale area and hiked that thing quite often.

Glad you and Eric have this time together, traveling, and get to see your parents, too.

And of course, the food looks great. YUM!

Drisana (SoulShineBlog) January 24, 2012

The food looks great, especially those roasted veggies! And, wow, saguaros look so cool, sort of like they belong on the moon :)

Brooke January 24, 2012

If you like a lot of suspense and a little action, Contraband with Mark Wahlberg was really really good. It was one of the best movies my husband and I have seen come out in theatres in awhile!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Thanks, Eric was rooting for that one!

Janet January 24, 2012

Looks like a great trip. The hiking looks amazing. I took up hiking a few years ago and hike alot on the Bruce Trail – Ontario’s longest hiking trail and love it all year round. You may get hooked on hiking. One of my favourite cookbooks is the Whitewater Cooks – recipes are amazing.

hannah alehandra January 24, 2012

Wow! Love what you’ve been eating, Angela. Do you ever count how many vegetables portions you go through on average a day? I’d be really interested to know you should do a post on it :) The hike looks wonderful. Hope you’re enjoying yourself sweetheart. Love from England.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

I don’t tend to count portions or servings and it varies a lot each day. When I’m home and working, I tend to get lazy with my own meals, but my veggies have been pretty frequent here so far…thanks to mom. heh

Amy @ contented corner January 24, 2012

I love the landscape, it looks like Mars!! There is nowhere that looks as cool as that in the Uk!

Again, all the food looks so scrummy & healthy… I see now why you look so gorgeous after such a hike, you are a picture of health x

Renee January 24, 2012

Looks awesome! I like your pants. Who makes them?

This Fit Chick January 24, 2012

Love all the fresh food!!! you look great!

Nadiya @ Milk and Honey January 24, 2012

That looked like a fun hike :) Do you know any good hiking places in Canada? :P

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

oh there are a ton of them. You should actually check out this blog called http://hikingwithbarry.com/ he does a ton of hiking in Canada (lots in Alberta) and in the US. Around our place we love Rattlesnake Point, Crawford Lake, Hilton Falls, etc.

Nadiya @ Milk and Honey January 25, 2012

Thank :) Lol I haven’t been anywhere other than Rattlesnake poimt :(

Alex @ Raw Recovery January 24, 2012

I’ve heard that the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is excellent but disturbing. The new Sherlock Holmes is pretty fantastic, so I’d recommend that.

morgan January 24, 2012

wow! that looks so fun!
i love hiking

Tessa @ Amazing Asset January 24, 2012

Wow those cacti are fantastic! I am loving all of your food too… it looks so fresh, healthy and tasty!

Karlee January 24, 2012

i love love love couscous. i recently made soup with garlic, onion, mushroom, spinach, veg broth, thyme, couscous, braggs, balsamic, and a splash of red wine! so good and easy.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 24, 2012

I’m so jealous seeing these PHX pics! I lived in Scottsdale for 7 years and miss it so much. Can’t wait to see your Camelback photos.

Amanda January 24, 2012

It’s incredible how much a good hike revs your appetite. All of your food looks wonderful, especially the roasted veggies and purple (!!) cauliflower. One of my pet peeves is when recipes/restaurants drench veggies in tons of oil. It’s so unnecessary!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 24, 2012

What a great hike!! I absolutely love hiking and wish I had put more effort into finding places to hike this past summer. (It’s on my list for this year though!) The scenery looks amazing, and all that wonderful food you’ve been enjoying does too! I hope you enjoy Camelback Mountain too. Your mom is so lucky to have a house in such a gorgeous place!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh January 24, 2012

I love that you still get wonderful, yummy food in while you travel! Looks like a fun hike, well as long as you don’t accidentally trip and fall into a mondo cactus! ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

it’s bound to happen ;)

Laura January 24, 2012

I feel like I have to post something, I’m a virgin poster which means I just enjoy reading your posts on the train to work. However, I feel like you have been connecting me to my roots lately. Last fall you came to new York and gave me some wonderful ideas for restaurants to try as I just moved here two years ago. THEN, you went to San Diego which is where I grew up…. Love those sea lions! And now you’re in Scottsdale which I lived for three years. I used to hike pinnecle peak all the time. I always loved the tourists who walked to the tallest point (sometimes weakening jeans) and walked right back down even though the trail is really just beginning! Check out pita jungle, one of my favorite lunch or casual dinner places there! The hummus is
Awesome!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Hey Laura! Thanks for your comment…how awesome that you have been in all those places. I will definitely check out Pita Jungle, thanks for the recommendation!

Karen January 24, 2012

Laura, you’re spot on! Pita Jungle’s hummus is so good, and I love their lentil fettoush or roasted veggie salads as well. I do love Green and Nami, but it’s very processed American fare, so I only go there to treat myself once in a while. And True Food’s good, but they only have a couple vegan items — their kale salad (w/o cheese) is the best! I’ve copied it to make for myself at home all the time.

Anne January 24, 2012

You HAVE to see Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Its a tearjerker, but an amazing movie (and book, for that matter). I HIGHLY recommend it to everyone!

Your photos are beautiful – I wish I was able to go hiking in AZ instead of shovelling snow over here in New England. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 24, 2012

how beautiful!! Love these pics! They food looks fantastic as well :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 24, 2012

Your hiking pictures are making me wish spring would get here faster! I love hiking along the Bruce Trail when the weather is warmer.

A CUP of oil!? That seems so unnecessary! 2 tbsp is the perfect amount for a batch of roasted veggies in my opinion.

Natalie @fitjamericangirl.com January 24, 2012

I wish I lived somewhere with a hiking trail. Alas, where I live is so flat there’s just no need. That Saguaro is amazing!

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous January 24, 2012

What pretty pics!

katie@ KatieDid January 24, 2012

ohh hiking out west is so different from the thick foresty mountains I’m used to on the east coast. Such gorgeous terrain though, arizona is so beautiful! Glad you’re having a relaxing time with family!

LizAshlee January 24, 2012

We went on a short hike last weekend but I am SO looking forward to hiking in warmer weather!!!! Spring…hurry!

Enjoy a beautiful day!!!! YOU deserve it! xo

Cassie @ Back to Her Roots January 24, 2012

I have to say, I am so happy to see that you are posting some of your daily shenanigans again. I love your recipes, but I also love mixing in a little bit about what you do in your day-to-day life. :)

Michelle Kuliszkiewicz January 24, 2012

by the way, I love your sunglasses!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Thanks Michelle :)

Jamie Rene January 24, 2012

I haven’t gotten to hike in ages, now I’m aching for a vacation!! What beautiful scenery!! And I will be making myself a green monster here shortly NOMS!!
Side bar: I’m new to your blog, and I just don’t know how I went without it for so long!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Thank you Jamie, I’m glad you found it!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon January 24, 2012

GREAT pictures–I especially love the one of you and Eric!

Alexsis Moore January 24, 2012

I think I’m a little late in movie suggestions, but I’d you haven’t seen The Artist yet, it is a beautiful movie!!

Also, like a bunch of other commenters, this post makes me incredibly jealous! All our hiking paths are covered in snow right now!

Eselpee January 24, 2012

The Phoenix area is also home to several amaizing vegan restaurants: 24 Carrots (Chandler), Pomegranate Café (Ahwatukee), Chef Sara raw vegan signature creations (Cave Creek). Greens (Tempe) is also very popular, but they specialize in faux meat which is not my style. Tsom (Tempe) is inexpensive and well received.

I am in LA right now, and I think we are sending you some rain!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2012

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Stephanie January 24, 2012

So weird to see all the pictures of AZ! I live in Phoenix and now I’m wondering if I’m going to just see you out somewhere! I saw the latest Mission Impossible movie last weekend (and it was just about the last movie I wanted to see – I agreed to go because my fiance has been requesting it for weeks) and it was really great. It was funny and exciting and pretty much just totally worthwhile.

Page 1 of 3123»