Top 10 Soup Recipes of 2011

IMG 49291   Top 10 Soup Recipes of 2011 IMG 5653   Top 10 Soup Recipes of 2011 20101116IMG 0556   Top 10 Soup Recipes of 2011 IMG 56531   Top 10 Soup Recipes of 2011 IMG 9104 2   Top 10 Soup Recipes of 2011 IMG 2628   Top 10 Soup Recipes of 2011 IMG 2210   Top 10 Soup Recipes of 2011 IMG 5307   Top 10 Soup Recipes of 2011 IMG 1315   Top 10 Soup Recipes of 2011

Happy New Year! Are you eager, worn out, hung-over, excited, or ready for summer?

Maybe, you’re cold and looking to warm up with a soothing bowl of soup? Or maybe you’re fighting off a bit of a cold from the holiday excitement?

Yes to all of the above.

Here are the top 10 soup recipes of the year according to you. I’ll rank the soups below and then tell you my personal favourites at the end. I also suggest serving the soup with warm & crispy cornbread or cheezy garlic bread.

Let’s get warm/healthy/energized…!

4.Broccoli and Cheeze Soup

IMG 56532   Top 10 Soup Recipes of 2011

3. Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

IMG 4015   Top 10 Soup Recipes of 2011

2. Holiday Soup for the Soul

20101116IMG 05561   Top 10 Soup Recipes of 2011

1. Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, and Onion Soup!

IMG 22101   Top 10 Soup Recipes of 2011

[and this how to roast garlic post was popular too!]

IMG 2180 2   Top 10 Soup Recipes of 2011

My favourite soups just so happen to be the top 4 soups plus the carrot soup! Oh how I adore the carrot soup. And the red lentil and squash stew is high up there on my list too. What about you?

Other Best of 2011 posts:

Top 5 salads of 2011

Top 12 entrees of 2011

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon January 2, 2012

I’ve made both the holiday soup for the soul and the carrot apple ginger–both were AMAZING!!!

Kristy @ KristyRuns January 2, 2012

I made a version of your Holiday Soup for the Soul for New Years Eve! It is now my husband’s favorite meal! :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 2, 2012

The creamy roasted tomato one looks delicious. I have a soft spot for all tomato soups (except Campbells–>gross!)

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! January 2, 2012

I LOVE SOUP! The best homemade meal a person can make in my opinion!!! These are all amazing!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 2, 2012

These round ups are my favorite – so many things to try! Perfect timing – the weatherman just said something about single digit temps. Probably sounds like child’s play to you! LOL!

katie@ KatieDid January 2, 2012

I never think to make soups, they always seem like a ton of work to me, but truly they are basically a throw everything in the pot and walk away kind of meal. Gotta make more this winter!!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate January 2, 2012

These would ALL be on my list– you just can’t beat a good soup in January!!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 2, 2012

All of your top posts have made me realize that I don’t make enough entrees for my blog! Top desserts? I could make 100 posts highlighting them all! You’re just so good at making savory food look good :) Loved that broccoli dal. Definitely my favorite!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2012

haha I’m the same…I’m trying to make a top desserts post for later this week and it”s tough! I might have to do a top 20 ;)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 2, 2012

Yummy! I’ve made the healing stew many times! Perfect even if your not sick :D

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous January 2, 2012

We loved your ginger soup! I can’t wait to try the others!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers January 2, 2012

I made the curried lentil soup and loved it! I bet the others are great too.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 2, 2012

Yep, all of the above for me too! Funny you mentioned the dal, because I made one on the weekend and ate it for dinner last night! It’s a bit of a different recipe (one our Sri Lankan friend used to make all the time when I lived in Bahrain), but so, SO hearty and delicious! Stay warm today Ange! :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 2, 2012

Yum! All the soups look wonderful!! I love these kind of posts!

Jessy January 2, 2012

Yum, I need to try these! Well, the ones without nutritional yeast, as it’s hard to get here. How come the comments are closed on some of the entries (like that tomato soup, for example)? Is it necessary to use roma tomatoes or would any do?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2012

Hey Jessy, I think my comments close after 90 days…sorry about that! Maybe I can re-open them. I think you can use any type of tomato!

Amanda January 2, 2012

I personally loved your holiday soup for the soul, but all of them look wonderful! I only just learned how to roast garlic, actually, and it’s been life-changing. Especially when added to mashed potatoes. :)

Cat @Breakfast to Bed January 2, 2012

the broccoli daal was sooo good it hurt my mouth.

Tanya January 2, 2012

The mushroom millet soup is my fave. I’m on my third batch of it since you posted it. I use quinoa instead of millet. Going to try more of them this year. I’m bad for eating the same dishes over and over when i like them.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2012

hah that’s great!!

Danielle January 6, 2012

Hey Angela, just wanted to let you know that there is some info missing in the recipe for the mushroom millet soup on your recipage. In the directions it doesn’t say when to add the mushrooms. I noticed it’s in the directions in the original post, just not on the recipage.
Thanks for the great recipe though!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2012

Thanks Danielle for letting me know! I’ve corrected it in the recipage now. Thank you again!

Next Gen Green January 2, 2012

Love these! Can’t wait to try them!

Liz January 2, 2012

I am loving all of the end-of-the-year recipe lists! Perfect mini-cookbook when I need a quick idea.

Jasper Naomi January 2, 2012

angela!

is it weird that MILLET is one of my favorite foods?

is it weird that roasted GARLIC is one of my favorite foods?!

your black eyed pea chili – wins the blue ribbon in my home for awesome warm food of the season! thank you for the soup post today! perhaps January 2012 will mark an OSG 10-days soup-making-marathon month in my home too?!

happy monday! – jasper

Nikki FYC January 2, 2012

Yum, an entire post dedicated to your favorite soup! I love it. Happy New Year!

Emily (Edible Psychology) January 2, 2012

Ooh I am so glad you did a top 10 soup recipes post! I love making soup and I have tried and loved some of the recipes above, but I had forgotten about a few. Especially the mushroom millet soup. That is now on my ‘must make’ list!

Nina January 2, 2012

Hey Ang!
Thanks for all these delicious soup recipes! I’ve made the tomato soup twice, once with in season tomatoes and once a few weeks ago. In season tomatoes are a definite must for this recipe! Do you think replacing the tomatoes with canned fire-roasted tomatoes would work? If yes, how many cans would you use? And would you drain them?
Thanks again for all the delicious recipes. Your website has certainly made my transition to veganism a heck of a lot easier. Happy New Year!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2012

hmm good question! I don’t think it would turn out as good with the canned variety, but that’s just a guess. I think Im going to have to wait until they are in season (and next time makes tons more!) :)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 2, 2012

Thanks for the roasted garlic tutorial. Ever since I saw that on your site I’ve been making my own roasted garlic hummus every week. Super easy and adds so much flavor!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) January 2, 2012

I had a vegetarian dinner party on New Years Eve and made three of your recipes. Each was a HUGE hit! I made your hummus, kale salad and quinoa with apple and almonds etc.. I will definitely be making those recipes again!! My husband said that he finally liked kale because of that salad – and it was so pretty too!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2012

That’s awesome news Jolene! :) Eric said the same thing about that kale salad.

Karen January 2, 2012

I was just thinking the other day re. how much I absolutely adored that roasted tomato, onion and garlic soup; I made it with a mix of late summer heirlooms and romas…yum! Given the poor quality of tomatoes in the midwest this time of year, I’m so sad that I won’t be able to satisfy my craving for many months to come. (I’m literally afraid to “ruin” this recipe by using winter tomatoes.)

And, that carrot soup you mentioned was in fact, awesome…again though made with the sweetest of summer carrots. Bummer!

I love these roundups, Ange…so helpful in reminding me re. winners I might have not yet tried. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2012

Karen, I was thinking the exact same thing about the roasted tomato soup yesterday! It will be one of the first things I made late august!

Karen January 6, 2012

Hi Ange – I wanted to pop back in to report that I made your mushroom soup (w/quinoa) last night to great success. I particularly loved the addition of worcestershire
sauce, which complemented the flavor perfectly! I added some fresh thyme too. LOVED the results, and loved the simplicity and minimal ingredients. Next time, I may swith it up it with barley or wild rice for the whole grain.

(Note that the instructions printed on the recipepage are missing directions re. cooking the mushrooms; I easily improvised, but you may want to correct.)

Kristin January 2, 2012

Last year I recall you writing that you would announce big news at the end of 2011. Did I miss that? If so I am sorry and if so can someone fill me in?

Hope you had a wonderful New Year!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2012

Nope you didn’t miss it! It just didn’t happen yet…doh!

Grace - Love Your Healthy Life January 2, 2012

Thank you for putting these all together on one page, Angela! I recently decided to make a big batch of soup each weekend to have on hand during the week for a quick and healthy meal. I can’t wait to give each of these a try!

Also, I just wanted to let anyone who might read this know that I am doing a New Year’s give away and am offering FREE 3-month holistic health coaching programs to the first 3 ladies to sign up! If you’re interested, head over to my website now and claim your spot!

Kayla @ The Best Things January 2, 2012

Just when I was feeling like cooking up a big pot of soup tonight, this post pops up! I can’t wait to make one. PS- your pictures are glorious!

Moni'sMeals January 2, 2012

one of each please! HAPPY NEW YEAR ANG!

Thank you for such a great post now but ALWAYS. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2012

Happy New Year to you too!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 2, 2012

I love the soup recap. I went on a major soup making kick in…the fall of 2010. Most of 2011 went by and I hardly made any. While it’s still winter-time, I best get to making some more soups. Thanks for the inspiration and happy new year :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 2, 2012

Ahhhh, gorgeous soups my friend….I never, well rarely make soup! I find it never keeps me full. WTF?! Right?? Maybe I’m not making them as hearty, stick to the ribs as yours are! Forget it, I’m just coming to live in your front yard…will you please feed me everything?

xxoo

Alyssa January 2, 2012

I have to agree with you, from the recipes that I did try the Carrot Apple Ginger is the one I love. I love to make it at the beginning of the week and eat it for lunch. Feels like a warm, healthy hug from the inside:)

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine January 2, 2012

I made your holiday soup for the soul, and it was absolutely delish!

Amber K January 2, 2012

I wish I liked soup, because all of yours look so good! But I’m just not a fan of hot drinks. And soups to me are hot drinks with chunks. To be fair, if I ever try a soup again, I’ll have to make one of yours…so I guess I’m trying to give you a compliment while failing miserably? lol

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2012

haha I’ll take it ;)

Meesh January 2, 2012

I can’t believe that I haven’t tried any of these recipes! Thanks for putting them all together so now I can choose one to try – hmm, which one first? They all look so good!

kirsten January 2, 2012

Those all look amazing! I might try to make that mushroom millet one. thanks :)

Kristy H January 2, 2012

What a great post, mmm soup! I have already had the red lentil and squash stew and am making the millet and mushroom soup tonight for dinner. Just bought red quinoa recently and wasnt sure what to do with it – now i cant wait to try holiday soup for the soul, it looks so pretty.

Nadiya January 2, 2012

Carrot and Apple Soup! Wow! When I was sick as a child my grandma would always grate me apples and carrots for a “vitamin boost”. This definately reminds me of those childhood memories :P

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 2, 2012

I made your tortilla soup this year and both me and my mom loved it! I can’t decide which one I want to try next – they all look so good!

Page 1 of 212»