Top 10 Soup Recipes of 2011

IMG_49291 IMG_5653 20101116IMG_0556 IMG_5653 IMG_9104-2 IMG_2628 IMG_2210 IMG_5307 IMG_1315

Happy New Year! Are you eager, worn out, hung-over, excited, or ready for summer?

Maybe, you’re cold and looking to warm up with a soothing bowl of soup? Or maybe you’re fighting off a bit of a cold from the holiday excitement?

Yes to all of the above.

Here are the top 10 soup recipes of the year according to you. I’ll rank the soups below and then tell you my personal favourites at the end. I also suggest serving the soup with warm & crispy cornbread or cheezy garlic bread.

Let’s get warm/healthy/energized…!

4.Broccoli and Cheeze Soup

IMG_5653

3. Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

IMG_4015

2. Holiday Soup for the Soul

20101116IMG_0556

1. Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, and Onion Soup!

IMG_2210

[and this how to roast garlic post was popular too!]

IMG_2180-2

My favourite soups just so happen to be the top 4 soups plus the carrot soup! Oh how I adore the carrot soup. And the red lentil and squash stew is high up there on my list too. What about you?

Other Best of 2011 posts:

Top 5 salads of 2011

Top 12 entrees of 2011

1 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon January 2, 2012

I’ve made both the holiday soup for the soul and the carrot apple ginger–both were AMAZING!!!

2 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 2, 2012

I made a version of your Holiday Soup for the Soul for New Years Eve! It is now my husband’s favorite meal! :)

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 2, 2012

The creamy roasted tomato one looks delicious. I have a soft spot for all tomato soups (except Campbells–>gross!)

4 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! January 2, 2012

I LOVE SOUP! The best homemade meal a person can make in my opinion!!! These are all amazing!

5 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 2, 2012

These round ups are my favorite – so many things to try! Perfect timing – the weatherman just said something about single digit temps. Probably sounds like child’s play to you! LOL!

6 katie@ KatieDid January 2, 2012

I never think to make soups, they always seem like a ton of work to me, but truly they are basically a throw everything in the pot and walk away kind of meal. Gotta make more this winter!!

7 Anna @ On Anna's Plate January 2, 2012

These would ALL be on my list– you just can’t beat a good soup in January!!

8 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 2, 2012

All of your top posts have made me realize that I don’t make enough entrees for my blog! Top desserts? I could make 100 posts highlighting them all! You’re just so good at making savory food look good :) Loved that broccoli dal. Definitely my favorite!

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2012

haha I’m the same…I’m trying to make a top desserts post for later this week and it”s tough! I might have to do a top 20 ;)

10 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 2, 2012

Yummy! I’ve made the healing stew many times! Perfect even if your not sick :D

11 Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous January 2, 2012

We loved your ginger soup! I can’t wait to try the others!

12 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers January 2, 2012

I made the curried lentil soup and loved it! I bet the others are great too.

13 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 2, 2012

Yep, all of the above for me too! Funny you mentioned the dal, because I made one on the weekend and ate it for dinner last night! It’s a bit of a different recipe (one our Sri Lankan friend used to make all the time when I lived in Bahrain), but so, SO hearty and delicious! Stay warm today Ange! :)

14 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 2, 2012

Yum! All the soups look wonderful!! I love these kind of posts!

15 Jessy January 2, 2012

Yum, I need to try these! Well, the ones without nutritional yeast, as it’s hard to get here. How come the comments are closed on some of the entries (like that tomato soup, for example)? Is it necessary to use roma tomatoes or would any do?

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2012

Hey Jessy, I think my comments close after 90 days…sorry about that! Maybe I can re-open them. I think you can use any type of tomato!

17 Amanda January 2, 2012

I personally loved your holiday soup for the soul, but all of them look wonderful! I only just learned how to roast garlic, actually, and it’s been life-changing. Especially when added to mashed potatoes. :)

18 Cat @Breakfast to Bed January 2, 2012

the broccoli daal was sooo good it hurt my mouth.

19 Tanya January 2, 2012

The mushroom millet soup is my fave. I’m on my third batch of it since you posted it. I use quinoa instead of millet. Going to try more of them this year. I’m bad for eating the same dishes over and over when i like them.

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2012

hah that’s great!!

21 Danielle January 6, 2012

Hey Angela, just wanted to let you know that there is some info missing in the recipe for the mushroom millet soup on your recipage. In the directions it doesn’t say when to add the mushrooms. I noticed it’s in the directions in the original post, just not on the recipage.
Thanks for the great recipe though!

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 6, 2012

Thanks Danielle for letting me know! I’ve corrected it in the recipage now. Thank you again!

23 Next Gen Green January 2, 2012

Love these! Can’t wait to try them!

24 Liz January 2, 2012

I am loving all of the end-of-the-year recipe lists! Perfect mini-cookbook when I need a quick idea.

25 Jasper Naomi January 2, 2012

angela!

is it weird that MILLET is one of my favorite foods?

is it weird that roasted GARLIC is one of my favorite foods?!

your black eyed pea chili – wins the blue ribbon in my home for awesome warm food of the season! thank you for the soup post today! perhaps January 2012 will mark an OSG 10-days soup-making-marathon month in my home too?!

happy monday! – jasper

26 Nikki FYC January 2, 2012

Yum, an entire post dedicated to your favorite soup! I love it. Happy New Year!

27 Emily (Edible Psychology) January 2, 2012

Ooh I am so glad you did a top 10 soup recipes post! I love making soup and I have tried and loved some of the recipes above, but I had forgotten about a few. Especially the mushroom millet soup. That is now on my ‘must make’ list!

28 Nina January 2, 2012

Hey Ang!
Thanks for all these delicious soup recipes! I’ve made the tomato soup twice, once with in season tomatoes and once a few weeks ago. In season tomatoes are a definite must for this recipe! Do you think replacing the tomatoes with canned fire-roasted tomatoes would work? If yes, how many cans would you use? And would you drain them?
Thanks again for all the delicious recipes. Your website has certainly made my transition to veganism a heck of a lot easier. Happy New Year!

29 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2012

hmm good question! I don’t think it would turn out as good with the canned variety, but that’s just a guess. I think Im going to have to wait until they are in season (and next time makes tons more!) :)

30 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 2, 2012

Thanks for the roasted garlic tutorial. Ever since I saw that on your site I’ve been making my own roasted garlic hummus every week. Super easy and adds so much flavor!

31 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) January 2, 2012

I had a vegetarian dinner party on New Years Eve and made three of your recipes. Each was a HUGE hit! I made your hummus, kale salad and quinoa with apple and almonds etc.. I will definitely be making those recipes again!! My husband said that he finally liked kale because of that salad – and it was so pretty too!!!

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2012

That’s awesome news Jolene! :) Eric said the same thing about that kale salad.

33 Karen January 2, 2012

I was just thinking the other day re. how much I absolutely adored that roasted tomato, onion and garlic soup; I made it with a mix of late summer heirlooms and romas…yum! Given the poor quality of tomatoes in the midwest this time of year, I’m so sad that I won’t be able to satisfy my craving for many months to come. (I’m literally afraid to “ruin” this recipe by using winter tomatoes.)

And, that carrot soup you mentioned was in fact, awesome…again though made with the sweetest of summer carrots. Bummer!

I love these roundups, Ange…so helpful in reminding me re. winners I might have not yet tried. Thanks!

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2012

Karen, I was thinking the exact same thing about the roasted tomato soup yesterday! It will be one of the first things I made late august!

35 Karen January 6, 2012

Hi Ange – I wanted to pop back in to report that I made your mushroom soup (w/quinoa) last night to great success. I particularly loved the addition of worcestershire
sauce, which complemented the flavor perfectly! I added some fresh thyme too. LOVED the results, and loved the simplicity and minimal ingredients. Next time, I may swith it up it with barley or wild rice for the whole grain.

(Note that the instructions printed on the recipepage are missing directions re. cooking the mushrooms; I easily improvised, but you may want to correct.)

36 Kristin January 2, 2012

Last year I recall you writing that you would announce big news at the end of 2011. Did I miss that? If so I am sorry and if so can someone fill me in?

Hope you had a wonderful New Year!

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2012

Nope you didn’t miss it! It just didn’t happen yet…doh!

38 Grace - Love Your Healthy Life January 2, 2012

Thank you for putting these all together on one page, Angela! I recently decided to make a big batch of soup each weekend to have on hand during the week for a quick and healthy meal. I can’t wait to give each of these a try!

Also, I just wanted to let anyone who might read this know that I am doing a New Year’s give away and am offering FREE 3-month holistic health coaching programs to the first 3 ladies to sign up! If you’re interested, head over to my website now and claim your spot!

39 Kayla @ The Best Things January 2, 2012

Just when I was feeling like cooking up a big pot of soup tonight, this post pops up! I can’t wait to make one. PS- your pictures are glorious!

40 Moni'sMeals January 2, 2012

one of each please! HAPPY NEW YEAR ANG!

Thank you for such a great post now but ALWAYS. :)

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2012

Happy New Year to you too!

42 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 2, 2012

I love the soup recap. I went on a major soup making kick in…the fall of 2010. Most of 2011 went by and I hardly made any. While it’s still winter-time, I best get to making some more soups. Thanks for the inspiration and happy new year :)

43 Kris | iheartwellness.com January 2, 2012

Ahhhh, gorgeous soups my friend….I never, well rarely make soup! I find it never keeps me full. WTF?! Right?? Maybe I’m not making them as hearty, stick to the ribs as yours are! Forget it, I’m just coming to live in your front yard…will you please feed me everything?

xxoo

44 Alyssa January 2, 2012

I have to agree with you, from the recipes that I did try the Carrot Apple Ginger is the one I love. I love to make it at the beginning of the week and eat it for lunch. Feels like a warm, healthy hug from the inside:)

45 Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine January 2, 2012

I made your holiday soup for the soul, and it was absolutely delish!

46 Amber K January 2, 2012

I wish I liked soup, because all of yours look so good! But I’m just not a fan of hot drinks. And soups to me are hot drinks with chunks. To be fair, if I ever try a soup again, I’ll have to make one of yours…so I guess I’m trying to give you a compliment while failing miserably? lol

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2012

haha I’ll take it ;)

48 Meesh January 2, 2012

I can’t believe that I haven’t tried any of these recipes! Thanks for putting them all together so now I can choose one to try – hmm, which one first? They all look so good!

49 kirsten January 2, 2012

Those all look amazing! I might try to make that mushroom millet one. thanks :)

50 Kristy H January 2, 2012

What a great post, mmm soup! I have already had the red lentil and squash stew and am making the millet and mushroom soup tonight for dinner. Just bought red quinoa recently and wasnt sure what to do with it – now i cant wait to try holiday soup for the soul, it looks so pretty.

51 Nadiya January 2, 2012

Carrot and Apple Soup! Wow! When I was sick as a child my grandma would always grate me apples and carrots for a “vitamin boost”. This definately reminds me of those childhood memories :P

52 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 2, 2012

I made your tortilla soup this year and both me and my mom loved it! I can’t decide which one I want to try next – they all look so good!

53 Monique January 2, 2012

Happy New Year Angela!! I absolutely adore your blog. It’s so colourful and friendly and full of simple, healthy recipes. Thank you very much for your creativity and generosity. I hope this new year is full of unprecedented blessings for you and yours.

54 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2012

Thank you Monique! All the best to you in 2012 :)

55 Christina January 2, 2012

Thanks for doing these lists! it’s so easy to forget about all the great recipes you post all year long. We just had Holiday Soup for the Soul with brown rice instead of quinoa and no canned tomatoes (just not a fan of canned tomatoes). Wowww! The curry and saffron really make the dish. Great soup!

56 Hannah January 2, 2012

I’m sure that my visiting the red lentil and squash curry stew contributed to its popularity in 2011 – I swear I made it at least once a week. It is my absolute favorite and I’m sure at least half of the hits come from me or people I’ve recommended it to!

57 laura January 2, 2012

YUM, soup warms the soul. :)

58 Sarah @ The Healthy Diva January 2, 2012

love the carrot apple ginger soup….so yum. But seeing as it’s summer here I might try it gazpacho style….will see how it turns out :)

59 Andrea January 2, 2012

Yum! The curried lentil soup looks delicious. And now I’m craving roasted garlic! :-)

60 Alisha @ Pink Spatulas January 2, 2012

I made one of your chocolate cupcake recipes today and they were the best vegan cupcakes I’ve made to date. Now I need to make one of your soups to balance out the sugar…. :)

I can’t wait to see what you have in store for 2012!

61 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2012

I made them yesterday too! I always forget how much I love them. So fluffy!

62 Kathy D January 2, 2012

Each time I come to your site, I am going to leave a comment and never seem to do so. I visit you regularly and I would have to say it is my favorite blog. I made two of your soups today. Had I had more time I probably would have made a third one!! The Holiday Soup for the Soul we had for dinner tonight and it was fabulous. Next time: double batch! I also made the Carrot Apple Ginger soup which we will have with a big salad for dinner tomorrow night. It too is delicious!! (I probably ate a bowls worth while sampling!)

I just want to thank you for all your efforts and for all the information you share. I also do a blog, which by now means compares to yours, and I appreciate the time that is involved to blog. You do a fantastic job.

I am a relatively new vegan – about a year and a half – so I am always looking for recipes. I have made many of yours. One of my most favorites is your Overnight Oats – that one is brilliant!

On my blog today I wrote about your blog and your soups. I hope my readers all come visit you. They will be so happy they did!

Thanks again for all you do.

Kathy D

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2012

hank you Kathy that means so much to me! The soups look great on your blog by the way. :) Enjoy!

64 Emily @ LivingLongfellow January 2, 2012

My favorite has got to be the broccoli and cheeze. :)

65 emily v January 2, 2012

Hi Angela – I have a strong tomatoe allergy. Any ideas on substituting canned tomatoes in some of these wonderful recipes? The holiday soup in particular has my taste buds in a frenzy. Thank you for your wonderful gifts of fantastic, beautiful, alkalizing vegan foods!

66 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2012

Hi Emily! Sorry for the delay in reply.
I don’t know of a substitute, but I do recall seeing a tomato free pasta sauce recipe in the vegan cookbook call Blissful Bites. Maybe you could check that out and see how they did it? I think I recall they used squash and carrots in addition to a bunch of seasonings, vinegar, etc.

67 Nour January 2, 2012

That tortilla soup looks amazing. I had something similar at PickleBarrel and I’m really excited to try your tortilla soup recipe. Nom nom

68 Cheryl @ eatplayluvblog January 3, 2012

Perfect timing with this COLD snowmageddon!

69 stella ~ shiny yoga* January 3, 2012

LOVING yr top 10 posts x

70 Jen January 3, 2012

I must say I’ve never been too convinced that I could ever become a vegan or vegetarian until I started reading your blog, you truly cook the most amazing recipes, thank you for the inspiration!

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2012

Thank you Jen!

72 marla January 3, 2012

Hi Angela! Happy new year!! You are always the best place to visit for healthy recipes any time of year. Love the soups :) xo

73 LizAshlee January 3, 2012

I am looking forward to many more delicious & creative recipes in 2012!! The more simple the better too!! :)

74 misty January 3, 2012

Agreed!!

75 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 3, 2012

While shopping at Whole Foods yesterday, I strolled down the soup aisle and told my husband to pick a few out. Then I stopped myself and said “nevermind- we will MAKE soup.” I don’t know why I ever buy canned soup- it’s so easy to throw a few things in a crockpot and let it go!
I immediately clicked on the husband healing soup- it looks so beautiful! I have most of the ingredients- including some frozen edamame that I bought yesterday. Yes!

76 VeggieGirl January 3, 2012

I made the soup you did with zucchini, grabanzos, sweet potato and quinoa the other day – dont remember what it is called, but it was delicious! And a great way to use up all the veggies I had sitting in the fridge and it was only ONE pot so less clean up :)

77 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh January 3, 2012

Very ready to start making homemade soups for lunches so these are much appreciated!

78 Suzanne January 3, 2012

OH WOW!

Thank you for sharing!

79 tonya January 3, 2012

I made the roasted tomato garlic and onion soup last year. I have a big ol squash in my fridge that needs to be dealt with so I will probably make the curry stew with it. I have a bunch of french lentils in my cabinet. Are they a good sub for the red ones in these recipes?

80 Misty January 3, 2012

Making the creamy tomato soup as I type! Can’t wait to have it! But siding it with fry bread, (but made with 1/2 whole wheat flour, flax and soy milk)

81 Caroline January 3, 2012

I currently have the curried lental soup on the stove. It’s about 15 minutes from being done and I can hardly wait it smells absolutely delicious. Perfect for getting me out of my cranky, rainy day(year) funk here in Prince Rupert. Lunch, here we come!!!

82 misty January 3, 2012

Oh I am glowing, that tomato soup was sooooo good! Thanks for sharing!

83 Stephanie January 4, 2012

I can’t wait to try the mushroom soup!! Thanks for this post-I’ve been craving soups!

84 Lindsay - Peas.Love.Balance. January 4, 2012

I made the Broccoli and Cheeze soup last night for dinner (got a rave review from my husband!) and then brought the leftovers in for lunch, my ENTIRE faculty room now has your website after tons of comments about how good it looked! I’ve been following your blog for a while, I love it!! I’ve made so many of your recipes and they have all been amazing, thank you!

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 4, 2012

hah that’s great! Hi Lindsay’s faculty room!! ;)

86 Lizzy January 6, 2012

I was inspired to make the roasted tomato/garlic/onion soup a couple of nights ago! I had a bit of a hard time reading the recipe on my tiny phone screen in the grocery store, so I accidentally used almost the entire 5 lbs of tomatoes in the soup… and we were out of tomato paste and garam masala, so I improvised with a few tablespoons of a red curry paste my roommate had in the fridge, which tasted amazing with the coconut milk, and some paprika and chile powder. It ended up being a far different, more tomato-y animal than the original recipe, and made maybe 8 cups of leftovers with that many tomatoes, but delicious nonetheless!

87 NoTrustFund January 12, 2012

I made the Holiday Soup for the Soul this week and had it for lunches all week at work. It was delicious. We’re making the curry red lentil stew tonight for dinner. Thanks for all the great recipes and helping us get our year off to a healthy start!

88 Jeremy May 5, 2015

The cauliflower soup recipe has dissapeared! :( Migrated to a cooking book?

5 cups of water
Vegetable Bouillon
1 head of cauliflower
2 large Leeks
1 handful of raw cashews, 1 handful of almonds
salt & pepper

?

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2015

Hi Jeremy,

I don’t remember this recipe, I don’t think it is mine. Maybe you were thinking of a different blog? I tried searching in my archives and nothing came up.