Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011

IMG 2320   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011 IMG 5704   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011 IMG 7645   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011 backontrack   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011 IMG 9501   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011

Last night, as I was eating my 4th holiday cookie in a row dunked in Holly Nog, I started to think about salad.

and Green Monsters.

Funny  how that works, eh?

and then my thoughts drifted back to more holiday cookies.

So I ate the last Chocolate Chip Cookie with toasted pecans (sorry Eric) and decided today I would revisit some of the most popular salad recipes of 2011 on Oh She Glows.

If a miracle happens, I might even find the motivation to get my butt to the grocery store and make one too.

Here are the 5 most popular salad recipes of 2011 according to you. Dig in!

5) Detox Salad

IMG 23201   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011

This vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, and soy-free salad is based off the Detox Salad at Whole Foods…while being easier on the wallet to boot. It makes me want to dance in my kitchen when I eat this! I love it drizzled with a touch of maple syrup and sprinkle of cinnamon just before serving.

4) Red Quinoa and Black Bean Salad

IMG 95011   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011

Extremely light, fresh, and packed with protein and healthy fats, this tangy salad will have you dreaming of Spring and Summer. Not that you weren’t already when you stepped your feet on the icy bathroom floor this morning.

3) Back on Track Salad

backontrack1   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011

Who says you have to wait until January 1st to get your eating back on track? Wheatberries give this salad a great chewy texture and can be found in bulk food stores such as Bulk Barn. If you don’t want to use wheatberries you can probably substitute brown rice or quinoa too.

2) Weekend Glow Kale Salad

IMG 76451   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011

I used to hate kale.

The only way I could bring myself to eat kale was if I put it in a Green Monster, and even then it was always quite bitter. Or I would bake kale chips and cook them so long that you couldn’t even tell it was kale.

Well, lucky for the 20 kale plants I planted in my garden this summer, it grew on me.

This kale salad is easily one of my favourite salads of all time. I learned with the right preparation techniques (such as marinating), kale could be just as good, if not better, than my previous go-to romaine lettuce. Not to mention, kale’s nutritional profile blows romaine out of the water. I always tell kale skeptics to try this salad because it will often change your mind…

IMG 7625   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011

Last but not least, I present to you the most popular salad recipe of 2011…

1) Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

IMG 57041   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011

All women are Goddesses, so it only makes sense that this recipe was #1 in 2011. If the holidays have left you feeling a bit less than Goddess-like, energize yourself with this high-protein vegetable bowl. It fills me up for hours and even takes my mind off cookies occasionally too.

Other honourable mention:

Over The Rainbow Cabbage Salad with Tahini-Lemon Dressing

IMG 5551   Top 5 Salad Recipes of 2011

Well, I’m going to mow down on a salad today. And then I’ll have a holiday cookie or two for dessert. If there are any left, that is.

kaila@ healthy helper blog! December 28, 2011

You did an amazing job with salad recipes this year! They all looked so appetizing and unique! Definitely better than boring old lettuce! Thanks for all the amazing dishes! :)

Amanda December 28, 2011

I am so ready for salads! I love cookies, but I definitely ate more than my fair share over the holiday and I’m craving vegetables like crazy. All of your salad recipes sound wonderful – perhaps I’ll work my way through them over the next couple of weeks. :)

Magda December 28, 2011

I absolutely adore your detox salad <3 And after Christmas food madness, I guess I'm going to make a new batch tonight :)

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa December 28, 2011

I think we need to educate the world on what a good salad is – at least the restaurants that serve you a measly pile of iceberg lettuce with a few chopped tomatoes and call it a salad for $5.

These all look wonderful, and I’ve made {and loved} a few of them!

Silvia @ skinny jeans food December 28, 2011

My top 1 recipe this year was the lentil loaf!

Silvia @ skinny jeans food December 28, 2011

Top 1 of your recipes, of course!

cassey mears December 28, 2011
Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2011

lol…too funny!

Jeanette December 28, 2011

All of these look so pretty and are so full of goodness – I especially like your Weekend Glow Kale Salad and Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 28, 2011

I just made a kale salad yesterday to try and detox myself from the sugar high of the holiday and now that I look at it, it was very similar to your kale salad above! Delicious :)

katie@ KatieDid December 28, 2011

I’ll be stuffing in some greens today as well, already had broccoli with breakfast! These all look delicious and satiating!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2011

haha nice…how’d you eat it?

Casey @ Insatiably Healthy December 28, 2011

I forsee 2012 as a kale frenzy now that I have a dehydrator.
I think massaged kale made everyone like the leafy green just a bit more ;)
I’m flagging all of your salads down for when I’m in a snafu for lunch

Sam December 28, 2011

I have been craving salad lately, what with all the rich delicious food I’ve been enjoying with the holidays. This post is perfect! Now I don’t have to search for all of my favorite salad recipes :) Thanks!

Chelsea December 28, 2011

Oh I LOVE this post! I’m wanting to try new salads. This is the post for me! All of the dishes look so good and delicious!
Great work!

Cait's Plate December 28, 2011

I love how bright and healthy all your photos look! I feel like I can taste each one!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 28, 2011

I feel you on the need for green food – I never thought I’d say this… but I’m a little sick of pie. Yesterday I chugged a green smoothie despite the cold weather!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2011

I’m going to have one for a snack after my workout I think. Looking forward to greeeeeens!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com December 28, 2011

Great post! This Goddess indulged too much this weekend, and I think one of these salads might just hit the spot! ;)

Can’t wait to see what you come up with in 2012!

Luv What You Do December 28, 2011

It is amazing how much easier it is to eat cookies than salads during the cold months. Your salads look mouth-watering and put a much needed spin on the simple lettuce, cuke, and tomato kind. Especially the red quinoa…looks exactly like the whole foods version!

After a week of too many sugary sweets, I was craving the greens as well! Didn’t make a Green Monster (too cold) but loaded up on steamed and roasted veggies…yum!

Jenny December 28, 2011

I am not at all surprised by this list. :) Your salads are THEBESTEVER. I love that they are meals in and of themselves, packed with veggies, protein, healthy grains, healthy fats… and just nutrients and goodness over all! I have made the Protein Power Goddess Bowl over and over again – and, none too ironically, have my spelt berries for the salad soaking at the moment, to be cooked in two hours!

And about the cookies – ah, this time of the year only comes around once a year (sorry that sounded so redundant!), so it’s definitely worth enjoying every moment of it! Besides, your cookie recipes always have some sort of healthy twist (e.g. nuts… or chocolate! Chocolate is healthy…) so that justifies eating a cookie. Or two. Or three. :P

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2011

Thanks Jenny you are too kind!!

Lys December 28, 2011

I loved all the salads you posted this year. It especially became useful after we received bag after bag of greens from our CSA. And in the sweltering August heat, there was no way I was going to braise kale. Salad it was! Thank you!

Kris | iheartwellness.com December 28, 2011

Ok, ok, can you believe I ACTUALLY Ate Greens during the holidays? My guilt took over and made me buzz up a smoothie or eat a handful of greens mid day. There was one day I was too tired, sugar rushed and cranky to even think of making a full blown salad, so I plopped a handful of spinach on a plate and drizzle dijon. DONE.

I love KALE! This salad looks epic!
xxoo

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2011

Nice work!! I’m trying to think if I had any greens…brussels sprouts I guess! haha :)

Emily (Edible Psychology) December 28, 2011

These look especially good after all of the holiday treats! My all-time favorite salad is the back on track wheat berry and bean salad, and I also really like the protein power goddess bowl. I haven’t tried the other three, and I am not a huge fan of kale, but I was just telling someone that I am willing to try making anything on your blog because EVERYTHING has been delicious! So….kale here I come. :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2011

hehe well I hope you like it! Eric hates kale and he loved the salad.

Nicole @ Giraffelegs December 28, 2011

I need to scarf down all of these salads after my sugar coma this past weekend…

julie December 28, 2011

I totally OD”d on the Goddess Bowl this summer…. mmmmm

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous December 28, 2011

After all the holiday eating, I am ready for some salads, too!

Christina December 28, 2011

I love how these salads aren’t just lettuce and tomatoes! They look amazing and protein packed ;)

Christina @ HealthyCosmos December 28, 2011

So glad you put up this post! These salads look amazing. Thanks!!

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy December 28, 2011

I am so glad you posted this! I have been looking for some good substantial salads to bring to work! Hope your week is going well!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life December 28, 2011

I keep meaning to make your Detox Salad – I will do that this week, I have been craving salads like crazy since all the indulging over Christmas!

Sylvia December 28, 2011

My goal in 2012 is to eat more kale. These recipes are just what I needed. The holidays haven’t been too hard on me, but a couple of pounds crept on and I look forward to the energizing taste of truly nutritious foods like these fabulous salads! Thanks for the tip about taking out the stems of the kale. I can only get curly kale at the grocery store.

Hannah December 28, 2011

I seriously can’t wait to try one of these. You are amazing! I am so over lettuce salads! xo

Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

Elizabeth December 28, 2011

Thank you so much for posting these salad recipes! I can’t want to try them out! I have also been craving salad lately, so if I can find motivation to get to the grocery, I may just have one for dinner tonight. :)

Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 28, 2011

I need all of those. Right now. GOLLY I need a cleanse. Hello, Holidays!!

Elisabeth December 28, 2011

I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve made the Kale salad and the Goddess Bowl. Two of my favorite salads ever, and my kids love them so double bonus points for that!

kathleen @ the daily crumb December 28, 2011

back on track is my go to meal when i need to detox and get back to healthy habits. so healthy and SO yummy!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 28, 2011

Oh my Ange, you’ve got me salivating right now. I’m currently in veggie withdrawal over here in Italy and I can’t wait to eat nothing but when I get home tomorrow night!! I agree with you on the detox salad making the top 5 – it’s a stunner!

Michelle Hnilica December 28, 2011

Thank you!! Thank you!! I love all of your salads!!! Im going to make the red quinoa salad next!!! All the best for New Years! Xo Michelle Hnilica

Jenny @ Simply Be...me December 28, 2011

I need to make one of these soon!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 28, 2011

Salads…what are those? Oh yes, I forgot for a minute with all the holiday goodies in full swing :)

Thanks for the reminders of your faves. And just the bright colored bowls, the rainbow-bright pretty colors…makes me want to dive in. Your light and bright salad pictures are the best for making me wanna get my crunch on!

Sadie December 28, 2011

I looove salads! My favorite salad recipe of yours is the Heat Wave Summer Salad. It’s amazing!

Katie December 28, 2011

Thank you so much for posting a top 5 list! I love it when you put all of the “bests” together on one page. They are easy sort through and I can find new recipes that I might have missed earlier in the year. I would love to see a list of the all time favorites from 2011!

Jess December 28, 2011

Your kale salad was definitely one of my 2011 go-to recipes. I still make it all the time : )

Page 1 of 3123»