Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles

IMG 5706   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles

You couldn’t twist my arm enough to make me eat one of these creamy chocolate truffles right now.

I know what you’re thinking…Who are you and what have you done with Ange?

IMG 5685 2   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles

Well, the reason for my truffle aversion right now is a little something called a hangover…of the red wine kind. Here I was doing so well eating healthy all weekend and then I went a bit crazy with the booze. You win some, you lose some. :) As I type this at 8pm on Sunday night, I can’t even fathom eating something sugary right now.

This too shall pass.

Despite, my current inability to eat anything that isn’t a salty carb, I can assure you these truffles are incredible! They almost didn’t make it to my sister’s place…

IMG 5688   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles

Thankfully, they did…and everyone raved about them. I heard many, “I’m not normally a truffle fan, but these are amazing” comments.

And then I ended up as a short-lived President with a break-proof beer insulator on my wine glass, hugging stuffed Santas. It’s a long story.

IMG 1179   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles IMG 1182   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles IMG 1153   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles  IMG 1045   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles IMG 1092   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles IMG 1123   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon TrufflesIMG 1053   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles IMG 1146   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles IMG 1087   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles

The good times rolled much like these truffles! These vegan truffles come together incredibly easy which is always nice. The only thing you need is a bit of patience while the truffle mixture firms up in the fridge for a couple hours. If you are in a rush like I was, you can place it in the freezer for 30 minutes and then in the fridge for another 30-45 mins to save a bit of time. Who can really wait 2 hours for chocolate anyways?

IMG 5680   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles

After the dough firms up, just shape it into balls and roll in cocoa powder. Easy stuff!

IMG 5690   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles

They’ll think you baked for hours.

You can also try rolling it in finely chopped toasted mixed nuts, which would give it a nice crunch. I think I will try that when I make them again on Friday!

After rolling the truffles in cocoa powder, I placed them into a cute little “Painter’s can” food container I purchased at Bulk Barn. It’s adorable…transparent…what’s not to love?

IMG 5698   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles

To complete my hostess gift, I attached a trimmed Christmas card with ribbon and wrote the recipe on the inside.

IMG 5707 2   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles

You can also change up the flavours too. I was thinking a chocolate orange truffle would be nice (maybe add 1/2-1 tsp orange extract and some fresh orange zest) or a mint crunch truffle (add 1/2-1 tsp peppermint extract along with some crushed candy cane). Yum!

Don’t want the shredded coconut? Just leave it out!

Need to make ahead of time? You’re in luck.

I do, however, suggest serving them with a glass of cold almond milk, instead of red wine.

IMG 5685   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles

The truffles are an indulgent, easy gift you can make for your girlfriends, family, host or hostess, or maybe even yourself!

As I edit this post on Monday morning, a truffle for breakfast is almost tempting. I’m back, baby.

IMG 57061   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles

Recipes coming up…

Coming up on the blog, the 12 Days of Healthy Dinner Recipes continues with a take-out inspired dinner recipe. On the cookie front- Eggnog Spiced Snickerdoodles I made for a cookie swap.

IMG 5733   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles

Bring your appetite, it’s going to be a fun week!

~~~

winnerscarf   Easy Holiday Gift: Vegan Chocolate Macaroon Truffles

The winner of the Ellie Eternity Scarf Giveaway is #1145- Abbey L. Congrats! I have emailed you to collect your info.

Big thanks to everyone for participating!

sabine @ some-like-it-raw.com December 19, 2011

I always love your gift ideas. I made your pumpkin butter once for a friend and it was a huge hit :)

Lys December 19, 2011

Wow I will definitely make these this week! Sorry about your hangover. Have you tried eating an umeboshi then sucking on the pit? I know, sounds gross but the old Japanese wives tale works! At least for me and my stomach when I’m hungover. :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 19, 2011

The eggnog snickerdoodles and I know you probably made them vegan…wow…between no eggs in the eggnog or the cookies, you had your work cut out for you..can’t wait to see those.

But first…a ball of chocolate. Oh balls of chocolate, how I love thee :)

And yours are dusted in cocoa powder. Lovely! And reduces the need for what seems to be each ball using up between and eighth and a quarter cup of melted chocolate chips whenever I make balls or truffles. Lol

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 19, 2011

These look so tasty Ange (and I’m not normally a truffle person!!) Looks like you had a really fun time – tis the season for wine! :) I was actually in Bulk Barn yesterday thinking about how cute the tins were. Wish I had more time for holiday baking because I’d love to fill some of them! Can’t wait to see what else is in store recipe-wise this week!

Amanda December 19, 2011

You have combined two of my favorite desserts – macaroons and truffles. These look outstanding!

I LOVE the little clear paint can container. :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 19, 2011

I wish this posted one day earlier! I literally made all my homemade cookies and gifts yesterday and am wiped out but these would’ve been perfect! There are so many chocolate lovers in my family, I’m sure they would’ve loved them. Plus they’re huge wine drinkers too and truffles + wine is like the ultimate combo (as you seem to know ;))

Hannah December 19, 2011

Mmmm these remind me of those French truffles at Trader Joe’s that we would get for Christmas every year. Buuuutt I’m pretty sure those had tons of eggs/dairy in them. Ha.

Katie December 19, 2011

Hello Angie! I loved the best recipes of 2010 list. Are you planning on putting another one together for this year? I’m sure all of us would just love it.

Alexandra T December 19, 2011

i will second that remark! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 19, 2011

Sure, I can do that!

Amanda December 19, 2011

No way jose ! i just made egg nog (holly nog) sugar cookies for a cookie swap! And i thought i was so origional ! …. plus gingerbread sandwhich cookies with vanilla marshmellow buttercream.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 19, 2011

hah are you living in my kitchen? I also made gingerbread rounds with spiced buttercream this weekend…we have cookie ESP!

Julie December 19, 2011

Love that this is such a simple recipe! Very pretty for a gift as well!

DessertForTwo December 19, 2011

I love your vegan desserts! They taste sinful!

Melissa December 19, 2011

These look amazing… Can’t wait to try them!

Tracy December 19, 2011

This would be a great treat for those ‘not so fun time of the month days’ when the only thing that truely helps is chocolate :)

Christina @ HealthyCosmos December 19, 2011

Look absolutely delicious! I am continuously impressed by the fact that you are the greatest hostess in the world!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 19, 2011

Mmm…these look tasty! So much better and so much better for you than those oreo cream cheese truffles that seem to be all the rage lately!
And I like the chocolate orange idea! Chocolate almond or chocolate hazelnut would be yummy too!

Preena @ A Teaspoon Of Turmeric December 19, 2011

Thanks Angela! Was looking for something to bake for holiday gifts this week… going to add a small hit of Garam Masala for a twist. Hope you’re having a great holiday season so far. :)
Preena

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 19, 2011

lovely idea Preena!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 19, 2011

get thee some seltzer and excedrin. Red wine headacheovers are the WORST!! Stupid freaking tannins.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 19, 2011

hah yea headacheover is the perfect term…it’s finally gone after almost a full day.

Andrea @ Vegvacious December 19, 2011

I can’t believe how easy your recipe is! This is definitely an easy add-on to my baking list this week! Hope you’re feeling better today ;-) That darn wine gets me everytime!!!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes December 19, 2011

I bet those truffles are good WITH red wine ;)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning December 19, 2011

Ohhh good idea. Is 10:30 am too early for that? :)

Ashley December 19, 2011

Ummm, hilarious. Apparently this was the weekend to act like you’re 21 again, because I was out til 3am on Friday and 2am on Saturday. Ohhh, good times. ;) I’m not usually a truffle fan either, but I think it’s just the kind with the liquid center..gag! I LOVE the solid chocolate kind, like you’ve made above!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning December 19, 2011

I don’t know why the thought of making truffles always seems to daunting- there’s so few ingredients! I guess just because they taste so decadent, I think they MUST be complicated.
I can’t wait to see the Snickerdoodle recipe. That’s my mom’s signature cookie (minus the eggnog).

Michelle December 19, 2011

Angela,

do you need to use the double boiler method when melting the chocolate chips?? I’ve never melted chocolate chips without the double boiler and I’m scared I’ll burn them!!

Thanks.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 19, 2011

I never do, but you can if you prefer!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh December 19, 2011

Very cute and the perfect thing to give! I love giving/feeding people things that are vegan or healthy and listen to them rave then tell them a few days later what it was. heh heh

Leah December 19, 2011

From what I can tell that top you are wearing is gorgeous! This recipe looks great!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 19, 2011

Thanks Leah!

katie@ KatieDid December 19, 2011

I can share your hangover pain, mine from the white wine variety. It’s true about the salty carbs, all I ever want is potatoes! Despite how I’m feeling these still sound incredible!

Carolina December 19, 2011

Angela, i dont quite understand what you mean by cream from the top of can. Usually when I open a can of coconut milk there doesn’t seem to be this separation with cream on top.
I have a can of actual coconut cream(have never used it), would that be the same thing?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 19, 2011

Hey Carolina,

Not to worry. I think the full-fat cans tend to separate more after they have been refrigerated, at least mine seem to. As long as you use full fat coconut milk, you should be fine :)

Carolina December 19, 2011

ok, thanks! I think i’ll make use of my concounut cream can though, that way i don’t have to buy the milk. i hope this will work the same way.

Amanda Elliott December 19, 2011

These look amazing! I think I may be making these this week…

How long would these last?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 19, 2011

Hey Amanda,

Im not positive on how long they will last exactly, but they will keep for a very long time in the fridge! I would guess at least 10 days, but probably over 2 weeks. I’ll do a little test on them and update the recipe when I know for sure…hopefully I can make it last that long! ;)

Amanda Elliott December 19, 2011

Thanks Angela!

Casey @ Insatiably Healthy December 19, 2011

I’m about to go on a truffle making frenzy. They always make the perfect holiday gift!
The coconut milk addition sounds great too :)

Ashley December 19, 2011

I love all the coconut in these! They sound amazing.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 19, 2011

Oh yum! Truffles are my biggest weakness. My friend made me a small batch last Christmas and they didn’t even last 2 days! I will definitely be making these – and then promptly wrapping them up as gifts to avoid the temptation of eating the whole batch haha. I’ll save a *few* for myself though. ;)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape December 19, 2011

Ha, I am the exact opposite of you when I’m hungover. All I want are carbs and sweets. And lots of coffee! These truffles look amazing :D

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles December 19, 2011

Sounds like you had a good time :) I crave any junk food when I’m hungover, sweet or otherwise! Glad these were a hit, spreading the vegan dessert love.

Ellie@Fit for the Soul December 19, 2011

These are sooo pretty and professional lookin’ in their cute lil package. I can see how this combo would make a great one.

Erin @ Creative Styletopia December 19, 2011

Ah yes, the red wine hangover, they always seem to be the worst don’t they? I bet you had an awesome time though! :)

These look amazing, I’m planning on making your eggnog biscotti to bring to my parents house on Christmas eve, I have a feeling these may need to make an appearance as well!

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca December 19, 2011

I love truffles!! I just got a bunch of raw ones from a vegan cookie exchange yesterday. Will have to try yours when they run out!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 19, 2011

Such a great idea for hostess gifts! I bet they would be amazing rolled in coconut with the coconut milk in them. Or crushed pistachios!

Jill December 19, 2011

First of all…I’m definitely going to make these truffles! Secondly, I saw your mashed potato recipe in the Chatelaine Magazine!! How often do your recipes end up in magazines??

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 19, 2011

Thank you, I will have to pick it up!

Nicole December 19, 2011

Sounds like you had some fun!! These look so delicious, and so, so easy! Thanks, Angela!

Katrina December 19, 2011

Mmm delicious.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes December 19, 2011

How cute! They look amazing :)

Page 1 of 212»