New York City: The Last Day

IMG 0265 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

Day 3, the final day in NYC! More walking, more exploring, more great food, and more blisters! Eric joked that I had more moleskin on my feet than an ultra marathoner. A word of advice: Do not break in shoes on a trip to NYC!

IMG 4953 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

We picked up a few Christmas gifts at FAO Schwarz, a huge toy store filled with neat things.

IMG 0394 thumb   New York City: The Last Day IMG 0397 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

Fish’s Eddy…a really cool kitchenware store!

IMG 0403 thumb   New York City: The Last Day IMG 0404 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

It’s too bad I couldn’t pack much in my suitcase or this store could have been trouble!

IMG 0401 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

I love all of their bright coloured dishware.

IMG 0402 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

Then we ended up at the Union Square Market.

IMG 0424 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

What a GREAT market! This was so much fun.

IMG 0419 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

IMG 0409 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

IMG 0410 thumb   New York City: The Last Day IMG 0411 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

IMG 0414 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

IMG 0417 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

I picked up something I’ve been looking all over my hometown for…Smoked Paprika!

IMG 0420 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

IMG 0421 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

IMG 0422 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

IMG 0425 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

We got some HOT mulled apple cider. I burned my tongue over all the excitement.

IMG 0426 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

IMG 0427 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

After the market, it was time to eat again! Walk and eat. Eat and walk. This time, we had lunch at Angelica Kitchen.

IMG 0449 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

Eric ordered the cold apple cider and I ordered a veggie juice.

IMG 0432 thumb   New York City: The Last Day IMG 0434 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

Mid-drink I realized there was a celebrity sitting outside the restaurant! It’s Liev Schreiber from X-men & other films. He was on his cell phone for a good 30 mins or so.

IMG 0433 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

We actually had no idea what his name was so we sent the pic to a friend who quickly identified him for us. :)

I read that his mom raised him a vegetarian, so maybe he had been dining in the restaurant?

To start, we shared the Agrarian Salgado made up of baked rounds of mashed Yukon Gold potatoes and herbed seitan with a parsley-almond pesto centre; topped with dill-tofu sour cream & garnished with piquant marinated kale.

IMG 0435 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

Oh my word this was fantastic!!! One of our fav dishes of the entire trip! It tasted just like a croquette, but only better. The dill sauce was outstanding too.

IMG 0437 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

We also got some sourdough on the side with onion butter.

IMG 0438 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

For Eric’s main, he ordered one of the specials- “Tales of the Onion” made up with savoury quinoa-vegetable croquettes with b’nut squash, carrots, celery, and chopped parsley; crowned with tarragon cream and served over green split pea sauce. It also came with broccoli and roasted turnips garnished with tatsoi and radicchio.

IMG 0441 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

He raved about this dish…as did I. The croquettes were really flavourful and crispy and the sauces went lovely with the dish.

I ordered off the special menu too- the “A-meze-ing Stories” which is a Mediterranean meze plate featuring an assortment of vegetables including grilled portobello and button mushrooms red & green peppers, onions and carrots served with a creamy white-bean basil pate, baked garlic chips, and a spelt-berry salad tossed with a hazelnut kalamata olive-caper pesto.  With Brussels sprouts and arugula too. That was a mouthful!!

IMG 0444 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

It was also incredible. I thought the hazelnut olive caper pesto was a really fun idea for a pesto. Normally, I’m not a big olive fan, but I really enjoyed it.

IMG 0446 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

Wait, I just remembered I had more with my meal! A side of sea vegetables and quinoa. :)

IMG 0443 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

With “no room left for dessert”, we each enjoyed some tea before heading out to explore the rest of the afternoon.

However, SOMEHOW we ended up stuffing our faces with vegan baked goods not long after!! I really have no idea how this happened…

Hello Babycakes!

IMG 0329 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

This was our second stop into Babycakes.

It’s a little hole in the wall down some random side street…it took us a while to find it! The interior is really cute, but they have a sign saying no pictures.

IMG 0330 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

I’ve heard great things about the Babycakes’ apple toastie bread as well as the doughnuts, so I picked up an Apple Cranberry Toastie, pumpkin cupcake, and a chocolate crunch doughnut.

IMG 0331 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

Apple cran toastie:

IMG 0333 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

They were all delicious. I think my fav was the toastie bread and Eric’s was the doughnut. Very fresh and sweet, but not overly so. We shared the doughnut and then saved the rest for later…

IMG 0348 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

I also had something else on my list to try from Atlas Cafe in East Village. This is such a fun cafe with a HUGE menu written all over the walls in chalk.

IMG 0346 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

Then, somehow this happened…

IMG 0477 thumb   New York City: The Last Day IMG 0469 thumb   New York City: The Last DayIMG 0468 thumb   New York City: The Last Day IMG 0476 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

We shared a pumpkin cupcake from Babycakes and a Peanut Butter BOMB Brownie (added to clarify about the brownie: by Vegan Treats) as found in Atlas Cafe.

OMG….that brownie!!!!! Check it out.

IMG 0472 thumb   New York City: The Last Day

Here is a better picture of it:

pbbomb thumb   New York City: The Last Day

[source]

It’s made up of a thin and dense brownie base topped with a cloud-like peanut butter mousse, a chocolate shell, and a peanut butter drizzle. Heaven.

This brownie is on my must make list. It was one of the best things we tasted on the trip, hands down.Eric doesn’t even like peanut butter and he could not stop gushing over this brownie. If you are near Atlas Cafe anytime soon you gotta order a PB bomb brownie as soon as possible. You won’t regret it!

We ended the trip with a great meal at Pure Food & Wine, followed by a stop at a bar on the way home. It was a great finish to the trip.

For just 3 days, I think we really packed in a lot! Literally. ;)

Has anyone seen my elastic waist pants?

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 4, 2011

All this food looks amazing. Not a single thing in this post I’m not drooling over! I really need to get to some of these places next time I’m in the city. Glad you had such a great trip!

Andrea December 4, 2011

The BOMB brownie is from Vegan Treats bakery in Bethlehem, PA. Atlas doesn’t make their desserts. They order them from Vegan Treats.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 4, 2011

Thanks for clarifying, I’ve added that into the post.

Sylvia O'Neill December 5, 2011

oooh those do look good:)

Kit-Kat December 4, 2011

You must have a very high metabolism! Don’t fret about elastic pants, my dear, you’ll be fine! It’s only a vacation, and you will be back to your work-out routines and regular cooked meals. I have to remind myself of this every time I go on a trip with my family somewhere (like my very go-out-to-eat grandparents in LA).
Looks like you had heaps of fun! I want to go to NYC someday, and check out Baby Cakes! I’ll take lots of donuts!!! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 4, 2011

yea I dont worry much on vacation…it’s a once and a while indulgence. We were also walking for literally hours and hours a day so we were constantly hungry every few hours.

Mai December 4, 2011

Such beautiful pictures! NYC is definitely on my must visit places.

Lexi December 4, 2011

babycakes sounds amazing!! A Gluten free friend of mine has their cookbook too. …also, i love Liev Shrieber!!! such a fan!!! He’s also married to Naomi WAtts if i am not mistaken..??? One more thing, I have smoked paprika by McCormick’s..u can TOTALLY get it!!! ( i think i got it at Longo’s here in Ontario) have a safe trip home!

Shannon December 4, 2011

That looks so delicious. I love peanut butter brownies. This is making me want to go back to NY again sooner than I had intended.

Ashley December 4, 2011

All of your eats look INSANE!!!!!! The Union Square market is amazing!! I just love NYC. :) I would have been all over the $.99 flatware sale! What a fun trip!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 4, 2011

That kitchen store looks AWESOME! I’ll be in NYC in a few weeks–definitely want to stop by there!

hippierunner December 4, 2011

Everything looks so amazing! I’ve never seen that donut before at my local Babycakes, I love texture so that looks sooo good!!! Glad you had a nice trip!

Moni'sMeals December 4, 2011

You sure lived it up Ang! That is all that counts…Well done. :) thanks for sharing your trip with us, I want to go NOW!

Your eats were amazing and Now that dessert…..that is what it is all about, the lil moments that you will not forget! (Remember Eric that time in NY when I got so many blisters and then we ate those desserts!)

Katie December 4, 2011

I feel so sheltered :( LOL I have loved every NYC day blog you have written. I truly felt like I was there minus the delish food and naked cowboys!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 4, 2011

You packed a TON into 3 days….wow!

That last brownie…worth the trip right there.

“t tasted just like a croquette, but only better. The dill sauce was outstanding too.” – that’s not even something I’d normally gravitate toward but it looks so good!

And Fish Eddy’s…could spend a fortune on cute dishes.

FUN trip!

Carolina December 4, 2011

oh I am so jealous!!!! Montreal has good options but not like that!!! wow… :)

Brittany @ Runwithbritt December 4, 2011

What a wonderful vacation! I’ve been wanting to go to NYC so badly! Maybe one day for New Years Eve, that would be my ultimate dream. Haha. :)

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life December 4, 2011

AHHHHHHHHH!!! Atlas is my FAVORITE! I went to NYU, so it was always just around the corner. I’m afraid to think about how many of those brownies (as well as the peanut butter bomb CAKE) I have eaten in my day. SO SO good!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 4, 2011

haha that’s amazing! I’m glad that you enjoyed them too!

Deborah December 4, 2011

Wow! Everything looks amazing and delicious! I buy smoked paprika at European markets in Mississauga and they even have it at Winners! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 4, 2011

good to know, thanks!

Elise December 4, 2011

Glad you enjoyed some of my favorite places in the city! Just want to make sure you know the peanut butter bomb brownie (and cake, and many others at atlas) are from the holy mecca that is Vegan Treats in Bethlehem, PA :) Just want to give Danielle credit because that woman is truly amazeballs.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 4, 2011

oh I didn’t know that Elise…I’ll add that in :) Tks!

LizAshlee December 4, 2011

With all the wonderful photos, I would have guessed you would have been there much longer! Yoga pants…all the way! That last dessert picture and description made my mouth water…oh my!!! :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 4, 2011

Fish’s Eddy I need to go to. I am such a sucker for themed kitchenware. Slash Ugly Dolls are such a throwback to middle school — I haven’t seen one in forever! Haha.

Robin December 4, 2011

Love reading this! I am a NYCer (from the east village), so it’s cool to see a tourist at all my local spots :) Angelica Kitchen is amazing! Also, (not so) fun fact, Atlas Cafe was closed by the sanitation department… apparently they had mice and stuff. HOWEVER you will be happy to know that they get their sweet treats from elsewhere (as Elise said above), so you are safe =p
You really hit all the best places, going to the farmer’s market & Fish’s Eddy too. Glad you had such a great trip!

Becca December 4, 2011

…but think of how active you were during the trip! It may seem like you gorged, but you guys were non-stop with moving. It’ll all balance out in the end. I ate my face off during my last city-exploring trip, but I needed to; I needed to keep feeding to keep-up with all of the burning!

Thanks for sharing your trip. Hope you’ll include a post about the Pure restaurant too.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 4, 2011

haha yea Im not worried about it :)

Jeanine (The Blue Sash) December 4, 2011

Glad you were able to sample a goodie made by Vegan Treats (as Elise mentioned) while at Atlas Cafe. I’m lucky enough to live fairly close to Vegan Treats or as I like to call it, the best vegan bakery on the planet! If your future travels ever take you to Bethlehem, PA, be sure to stop in. :-)

Amanda December 4, 2011

What an awesome end to your trip! That’s pretty much my ideal visit to NYC – lots of walking and sightseeing, alternated with lots of eating! :) There are just so many amazing vegan options there.

I am going to seek out that peanut butter brownie the next time I visit. It looks insanely delicious.

Amber K December 4, 2011

All of that food looks amazing! Seriously, where can I get some of that? Oh yeah, in NYC!

sarah @ climbinvegan December 4, 2011

You were totally in my neighborhood! I live a block away from Angelica’s (yum!), and am a regular at the union square market.

glad you had a blast- everything looks delicious. I’m guilty to say I’ve never had the brownie from Atlas- but the tofu vegan soft serve is mouth watering… so delicious :)

Jessi @ Quirky Cookery December 4, 2011

Oh my god, that brownie looks so incredible! I really hope you’re able to recreate it and share it with us.

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles December 4, 2011

The brownie looks awesome! Actually, the decked out chocolate crunch doughnut from Babycakes caught my eye, too! Such a yummy finish to your NY trip!

hannah alehandra December 4, 2011

OMG the brownie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gimmeee.x

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots December 4, 2011

ahh I cannot believe you saw liev schrieber!! I work in the city and I never see anyone famous!! My friend from Germany was here last weekend and we went to union market and got one of those waffles, soo stinking good, I hope you tried one!

Rachel December 4, 2011

My husband went to NYC on a student trip 4 1/2 years ago. He went to a play with Liev Schreiber, and his actor-friend made him wait outside one of the doors and they got to meet Mr. Schrieber! My hubby was so excited about that :) I knew the actor b/c he was in Kate & Leopold.

Looks like you had a fun trip! I went to NYC for Thanksgiving last year, and it was definitely chilly!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 4, 2011

Oh that’s fun! :)

Lauren December 4, 2011

There is a vegan bakery by me (well, a good drive but it LOOKS worth it).. That sells peanut butter BOMB brownies and they look.so.good.

I’m glad you’re having a “bomb” time in NYC. ;-)
I’m so cheesy haha!
Have a safe trip home!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 4, 2011

heh they must be a popular item in the bakeries! I cant wait to try to make one.

Lauren (Maillard'sMistress) December 4, 2011

Have you ever read Peter Berley’s Modern Vegetarian Kitchen? He was the chef at Angelica Kitchen for several years and his recipes are phenomenal!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 4, 2011

No I haven’t, but I should check that out! I was really impressed.

Tara December 4, 2011

Please please please recreate that peanut butter bomb brownie! haha WOW! Looks absolutely amazing :) That being said, I know your list is quite long with new recipes ;)

bitt of raw December 4, 2011

it was probably worth it that you ate the babycakes on the day you got them. they need to come with a disclaimer that they do NOT taste nearly as good on the second day. was the donut good? i had one at a different babycakes and was disappointed as it was dry. looks like a fun trip!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 4, 2011

The doughnut was really fresh, we enjoyed it…although very cake like.

Amelia December 4, 2011

Everything looks sooooooo delicious. I’m happy you enjoyed your trip; have safe travels back! Looking forward to some of those recreation posts. :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 4, 2011

what a delicious end to a great trip!

Kath December 4, 2011

I would like to go in that kitchen store with $.99 flatware!

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca December 4, 2011

Omg I want that peanut butter brownie bomb!! And soooo jealous that you went to Babycakes!

So cool that you saw Liev Schreiber! Glad you enjoyed your trip to NY :) Looks like everything was a ton of fun!

Megan @foodiecycles December 4, 2011

wow- everything looks so cute and not so NYC like. I would never guess that was NYC. that little kitchen shop is so awesome!! Precisely why I always pack light in a bit of a larger suitcase.. for treasures like that ;)

katie@ KatieDid December 4, 2011

crazy dish lady in a crazy dish store! Recipe for a really good time haha. Those dessertsssss omg, worth the trip alone.

Page 1 of 3123»