What To Do With Leftover Pie: Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Casserole

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on November 23, 2011

IMG_4759

If you’re like my family, you probably have some leftover pie after a big holiday meal. Or maybe you don’t because Uncle Joe got up at 2am, cleared the place out, and then blamed it on Scruffy! Poor Scruffy.

The next morning, no one really has the nerve to make the first move on the leftover pie. Some might declare, “Oh I simply couldn’t imagine eating pie right now!” grasping their stomach in embarrassment. Others nod in agreement, secretly wishing they would leave the room so they could have a slice for breakfast.

After my pumpkin pie testing, I was left with a lot of pie. Eric brought a bunch to work last week (frozen, so it wouldn’t turn to mush during his commute), but I was left with almost a full pie calling my name from the fridge. Having a pie in the fridge for no reason is like listening to an annoying, loud ticking clock; it can drive a person crazy after a while! Instead of picking away at it over the course of the week, I thought it would be fun to take the leftover pie and repurpose it into another recipe.

A recipe I could rationally eat for breakfast and not feel like a crazy person…

IMG_4756

[Click here for this delicious vegan and gluten-free pumpkin pie recipe!]

Pumpkin Pie in a brunch recipe sounds pretty crazy though, doesn’t it? I know, I know, but trust me on this one. The recipe didn’t turn out super sweet or overpowering for a morning meal. Because I didn’t make my pie filling super sweet, it actually works really well in a baked oatmeal recipe. It’s fluffy and super creamy thanks to the pumpkin filling interspersed throughout. My favourite part is getting a big hunk of pie and crust in the same gooey bite. It’s heaven! And it’s why this makes the perfect holiday brunch recipe.

Here’s how to turn your leftover pie into a brunch recipe your whole family can enjoy….might I say, it’s really easy as pie.

Grab your leftover pie and chop it up to make about two and a half cups. Your family will probably wonder if you’ve gone crazy, but just ignore them! They will see the light soon.

IMG_4760

Bite-sized pie is fun…real fun.

IMG_4754

I had a feeling that this would be a killer holiday brunch recipe and a great way to use up pie. Bonus points for you if you use my Vegan Pumpkin Pie with a Sweet and Salty Pecan Crust as that’s the version I used. I can hardly contain myself around it. The pecan crust was to die for in this breakfast casserole. Of course, you could use any flavour of pie you want. Apple pie would be really good too!

I mixed up my oatmeal ingredients: rolled oats, almond milk, ground flax, vanilla, spices, maple syrup, and baking powder. Just basic oatmeal stuff!

IMG_4758

and then I stirred in my chopped pumpkin pie to make it all chunky and wonderful…

IMG_4765

I spread it into a greased casserole dish and then crumbled a bit of pie on top for a “streusel”.

IMG_4767

Bake for 30 mins. at 375F.

And just like that, you have a drool-worthy pumpkin pie breakfast casserole to share with the entire family!

IMG_4775

Or hide it from your family. Yes, you might want to hide it.

IMG_4790

IMG_4784

I won’t tell you how crazy good this was. Or even how good it was the next morning eaten cold. Or how good this was as a post-run snack.

IMG_4789

I just had a cool idea for this recipe…it would probably be good if you stirred in some leftover canned pumpkin right into the oats before baking! *dies* why did I not think of this earlier? I have pumpkin to use up too. If you are going to stir in some canned pumpkin I would add about half a cup and then adjust the sweetness as desired since the pumpkin will make it a bit less sweet. Please let me know if you try that out!

By the way, I’ve created a page just for my vegan Thanksgiving recipesyou can check it out here. Have a happy, safe, and delicious Thanksgiving to my American readers!

Be sure to check back this week…I have some surprises up my sleeve!

Amanda November 23, 2011 at 8:42 am

This is genius, Angela. I love that you’ve managed to incorporate pie into a healthy breakfast casserole.

And that conversation about not being able to eat pie the morning after Thanksgiving? Yep, that’s totally my family. My mom and I end up just taking bites throughout the day, since small bites obviously don’t count. ;)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels November 23, 2011 at 8:43 am

do we think this would work with apple pie :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2011 at 9:18 am

Yup :)

The Healthy Hipster November 23, 2011 at 8:45 am

What a brilliant idea, Angela. I love the way you embrace next-day sweets rather than obsessing over them and feeling “guilty.” Just eat wholesome treats for breakfast! Divine!

[email protected] November 23, 2011 at 8:50 am

I’m going to have to make extra pumpkin pie so I can try this! It looks delicious!

Shannon November 23, 2011 at 8:52 am

Brilliant as always. I feel my oatmeal always contains everything except the kitchen sink.
I’m already starting to feel pumpkined out. I didn’t think it was possible?!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 23, 2011 at 9:00 am

I am literally reading this while eating pumpkin baked oatmeal, wishing I had some pie to crumble over it. I have to wait until tomorrow for pie… but you can bet this will be happening Friday morning with more pumpkin baked oats! :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 23, 2011 at 9:05 am

I’m definitely doing this with apple pie! Not a huge pumpkin pie fan (but love pumpkin everything else, go figure) but I bet apple pie would be just as good :)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 23, 2011 at 9:05 am

What a cool idea! I would love love to try this….if there is any leftover pie…which is never around my family! Haha :)

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com November 23, 2011 at 9:19 am

Me too, Lauren! There is never any pie left after one of my family’s gatherings! :)

Mary November 23, 2011 at 9:16 am

Delicious! Now how to incorporate pie into a lunch dish to eat it all day long?

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe November 23, 2011 at 9:20 am

What an incredible idea! I see no problem in having desserts for breakfast every now and again, no worse than a donut right?

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com November 23, 2011 at 9:22 am

Yum! Brilliant way to use those leftovers!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 23, 2011 at 9:24 am

So now I really do need to make all 3 of the pies you posted the other day because I have to make the casserole too!! Today is another one of those “I need breakfast round 2” sort of days. I’m bookmarking this one Ange!

Meredith November 23, 2011 at 9:30 am

YUM! This sounds delicious as I too have been a little obsessed with pumpkin this year! Can’t wait to try this over the weekend with the leftovers!

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy November 23, 2011 at 9:35 am

This looks delicious! Great way to use up leftover pie! I hope you are having a wonderful week!

Cait's Plate November 23, 2011 at 9:50 am

Genius! I love these ideas :) Who says you can’t have pie for breakfast!?

kathleen @ the daily crumb November 23, 2011 at 9:54 am

this is genius! although i would not hesitate to just go straight for the pie for breakfast, this would make me feel a little more healthy :)

Sara Grambusch November 23, 2011 at 9:55 am

What a great idea! I think I’d mash up some sweet potatoes at the bottom to give it another layer :)

Jamie @ Don't Forget The Cinnamon November 23, 2011 at 9:57 am

Genius. Seriously. I may have to hide a few slices of pie tomorrow for this purpose…

Lindsay L November 23, 2011 at 10:17 am

Hi Angela!

I just wanted to take an opportunity to say that I love your blog! I use lots of your recipes in my own (hyveehealthstateofmind.wordpress.com) – I am a dietitian at a midwest based grocery store (don’t worry, I always link back to you). Thanks for all the great recipes!!!

AGS November 23, 2011 at 10:21 am

Fortunately, I have no problems eating pie the next day for breakfast. But I prefer apple in the morning. . . ;)

Ali November 23, 2011 at 10:26 am

Fiber from the oatmeal helping to slow down the sugar spike- genius! I think I would prefer that over the pie. ;)

Lys November 23, 2011 at 10:28 am

I wish I had pie now to make this! Unfortunately my family loves pumpkin pie so much there’s hardly any leftovers. Of course I could bake an extra one just for this purpose… :)

Andrea November 23, 2011 at 10:32 am

This is seriously genius. YOU are seriously genius!

Andrea November 24, 2011 at 12:36 am

Angela, I was really wanting to make your recipe for vegan gravy to take to my family Thanksgiving dinner this weekend, and was wondering, is there anything I can sub for the tamari? Thanks in advance!

Emily November 24, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Any type of soy sauce should work! Shoyu, liquid aminos, whatever you’ve got.

Andrea November 25, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Thank you Emily!

[email protected] November 23, 2011 at 10:34 am

I’m eating a boring bowl of oatmeal right now wishing for some pumpking pie pieces in it!

Danielle November 23, 2011 at 10:34 am

What a great idea! I’ll have to make two pies next time to make sure there is something left over for breakfast.

Ashley November 23, 2011 at 10:38 am

I always think of last minute things I should have done when I’m posting the recipe! I just love those pretty white plates. And the casserole…no words.

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! November 23, 2011 at 10:41 am

confession: my family and I eat pie for breakfast the day after thanksgiving EVERY year….SO GOOD. but this is such a cool new way to mix it up and get our pie fix!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2011 at 11:29 am

haha I love that!

Ella, RD November 23, 2011 at 10:48 am

Two words: PURE. GENIUS.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 23, 2011 at 10:52 am

Great idea! I melt mine down and make it into a custard for pumpkin bread pudding! I love the oats!!!

VeggieGirl November 23, 2011 at 11:15 am

what is this thing called ‘leftover’ pumpkin pie LOL ;) I’ve never seen it!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 23, 2011 at 11:15 am

I’m going to make this with some pumpkin cookies that are too dry for my taste!

Alicia @beingLA November 23, 2011 at 11:18 am

Wow, that looks incredible! I don’t even want to eat my pumpkin pie…I think I may just bake it, let it cool, and then chop it up to make this casserole! Happy Thanksgiving :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2011 at 11:28 am

that would definitely be a good idea!

hannah alehandra November 23, 2011 at 11:21 am

I love the crumbly streusel topping idea! Yum. What a resoureful way to use up leftover pie hehe! Love from England.xo http://hannahalehandra.blogspot.com/

Chloe November 23, 2011 at 11:24 am

Absolutely genius!!!

estrojen November 23, 2011 at 11:24 am

wow…I was just discussing what to do with leftover pumpkin pie and then I saw this!!! (mouth watering) Thank you!!! I will definatly try this!!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles November 23, 2011 at 11:28 am

I love pumpkin oats, but they sounds even better with chunks of pie crust!

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca November 23, 2011 at 11:32 am

I have to admit: when I saw the title I was thinking it might be a really heavy, sugar-y casserole, but I kept reading anyway. Now…now I wish I had some pumpkin pie to make this!! I LOVE baked oatmeal, and this is a great idea!! I may have to make pumpkin pie sometime soon just for this :D and also because I’m DYING to try your pecan crust!

Sarah with Veggie Kids November 23, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Oh, yeah! Pumpkin pie anytime is great but I love this idea for breakfast so it seems like you’re not really being bad!

Christina November 23, 2011 at 12:17 pm

This is brilliant!!

“I was left with almost a full pie calling my name from the fridge. Having a pie in the fridge for no reason is like listening to an annoying, loud ticking clock; it can drive a person crazy after a while! Instead of picking away at it over the course of the week”

That is exactly what happens to me! Now I have a way to use it up :D

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! November 23, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Um, this is BEYOND brilliant! I can eat pumpkin pie any time… that is if the rest of my family doesn’t get to it first!

[email protected] KatieDid November 23, 2011 at 12:25 pm

completely brilliant! It makes pie for breakfast a perfectly acceptable idea when you throw some oatmeal into the mix- healthy! I wonder how throwing a piece into the blender for a smoothie would turn out!!

Meg @ MegGoesNomNom November 23, 2011 at 12:49 pm

How creative! Looks scrumptious!

kris (everyday oats) November 23, 2011 at 12:55 pm

best idea ever!

Lynn November 23, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Wow!! I might have to bake a pie now! That looks amazing!

Kris | iheartwellness.com November 23, 2011 at 1:23 pm

OMG, seriously….I’m going to gain 24 lbs from now until boxing day….this is so friggin FAB! Where have you been all my life????

I need to make pumpkin pie, then hide it from myself just so I can take a couple pieces for this breakkie!!!!!!! YUM!

xxoo

Lauren Marie November 23, 2011 at 1:27 pm

That looks naughty. :)

laura November 23, 2011 at 1:35 pm

My list of recipes to make when i get home from uni keeps getting longer and longer :)

Kathy November 23, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Angela, you are one heck of a recipe-making genius!

Addy November 23, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Aaand just when you think it can’t possibly get any better…
it does.

Jennifer November 23, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I think I am going to try this with the leftover pecan pie that has been sitting in my fridge since our Canadian Thanksgiving!

Jennifer November 23, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Oops, in my freezer. Not sure I would want to eat pie that had been in my fridge that long!

Moni'sMeals November 23, 2011 at 2:14 pm

This is just so clever!!

One problem though….I never have left over pumpkin pie! I better make 2 or 3 for this special recipe. :)

Jen November 23, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Delicious!

Amber K November 23, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Yummy! What a great idea :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 23, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Yum Angela, I would love to take this to a brunch…although my friends and I would probably just dive right into the pie…my family too. :)

Delicious and beautiful, as always.

[email protected] November 23, 2011 at 2:23 pm

What an awesome idea! I bet it would be fab with the leftover pumpkin cheesecake I’m making too.

Corinne @ RI Nutrition Housecalls November 23, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I had the same idea this morning with some leftover chocolate pumpkin pie. I just sort of mashed it in with my oats- it’s actually really quite healthy, not to mention totally delicious and satisfying. Happy Thanksgiving!

Rachael @ FreshlyMinted November 23, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Oh. my. word. – you are so creative!

I might start hoarding pie early tomorrow just so I can get some leftovers…. (Note to self: Wear pants with BIG pockets).

Shana November 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm

This is pure genius! Especially since your pie has some wholesome ingredients to begin with. I would make the pie just to have the casserole! Perfect for an easy but delicious breakfast to serve visiting family!

onehealthyapple November 23, 2011 at 3:14 pm

No way! I’m not sure if I should applaud for the new recipe or be sad that those beautiful slices of pumpkin pie are gone ;)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 23, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Glad you found a creative use for the pie. I was seriously wondering to myself after reading the taste-testing/recipe combos you tried post…WHAT did that woman do with all that pie :) Now I know. YUM!

I’ve been making a pumpkin-peanut butter oats “casserole”..I call them bars…but sort of the same concept as yours except I dont go to the trouble of making a beautiful pie and then deconstructing it. I have to say, I’d have a hard time chopping up all my work into a casserole like you did. Your pies were so pretty!!!!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 23, 2011 at 4:04 pm

what a brilliant idea!!!!

Cortnie November 23, 2011 at 4:26 pm

That seriously looks too good to be true! How come I never thought of that! I’ll have to hide some pie so I can try this….

I’m making your “This Ain’t Grandma’s Sweet Potato Casserole, Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf, and Cranberry Apricot Pecan Wild Rice to contribute to our family’s meal. ;)

Happy Thanksgiving, Angela!

xo
cortnie

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Aww…enjoy! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Jin November 23, 2011 at 4:46 pm

crazy! I would have never thought of this! you are so creative Angela :)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life November 23, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Oh man, this looks too good to be a breakfast food! But it also looks so breakfasty too! Yummm!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner November 23, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Oh my… best idea EVER!!!!!!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 23, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Pumpkin pie for breakfast? I can definitely get on board with this idea. :D

Lia November 23, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Ha! I have no issues eating pie for breakfast! It’s one of my favorite parts of post-Thanksgiving. Buth this recipe sounds like way too good of an idea! So clever!

Katie Zega November 23, 2011 at 7:36 pm

eating pie for breakfast is completely normal for the Sierzega family :P
but this sounds like an even BETTER idea that i may just have to try on them!!!

thanks for all you do, Angela. you really brighten my day and encourage me to keep my body healthy and happy.

Charissa November 23, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I am dying over here! This looks absolutely incredible!

Katrina November 23, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Holy. Crap. I love you.

Kit-Kat November 23, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Do you know what? My friends LOVE pumpkin pie so much, that they eat it like pizza.
Seriously.
They use their hands and everything.
They even bake it in a pizza-sized dish (like Costco size).
No kidding.
And we do the same here after learning this technique. It is so American to eat pie this way! I’ll never get sick of good ‘ole Pumpkin pie!
How about you? Have you ever tried to eat pumpkin ppie like a pizza? You should next time if you have not. Do it in front of some friends, and keep the trend spreading across America!

betty November 23, 2011 at 9:17 pm

oh man this looks soooo good!! mmm pumpkin pie

tweal November 23, 2011 at 9:28 pm

What a clever recipe! Though leftover pie is never ever a problem in my house ;)

Lisa November 23, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Angela I absolutely LOVE your website. There really is no comparison. thank you for all you do and giving me a little thing to look forward to each day! :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 23, 2011 at 10:33 pm

This looks SO good and is such a great idea! I really hope we have some leftover pumpkin pie just for this, otherwise I might have to make an extra for it! ;)

Liz @ IHeartVegetables November 23, 2011 at 11:06 pm

This is totally genius!!! my mom made chocolate pie… and now I want to try it with that ;)

Do I HAVE to wait for leftovers?? haha

radioactivegan November 23, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Do you want to come over to my house for Thanksgiving? I haven’t even had pumpkin pie since I went vegan!

esmemerrie November 23, 2011 at 11:26 pm

…I’m not a huge pumpkin fan. But this. This looks ah-mazing!!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco November 24, 2011 at 2:25 am

Is there nothing you can’t do? No. Probably not. ;)

[email protected] November 24, 2011 at 2:41 am

Such a terrific idea!

Fiona November 24, 2011 at 5:11 am

I can’t believe how creative this is. Seriously – bravo! I love your blog because not only do you have appealing food and awesome photos but you are so honest and real too. I don’t comment often because there are usually so many comments already, but I just had to say that this really is super, super cool and I will definitely be trying it!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 24, 2011 at 8:06 am

What a great idea! Where did you come up with this one! Now I can make a pie today, I just didn’t know what to do with it, since it’s just my Husband and I, and we can’t eat a whole pie by ourselves, well maybe we can? I love bakes oatmeal pumpkin pie!! I need to save this recipe!

Irini November 24, 2011 at 8:28 am

you never cease to amaze! such a great idea! thank you!

LizAshlee November 24, 2011 at 8:37 am

Great idea…you are so creative!! Happy day! :)

Megan @foodiecycles November 24, 2011 at 9:18 am

OH MY- that looks so good! I hope I can snag some leftover pumpkin pie.. maybe I’ll make a single serving :) happy turkey day! gobble gobble..

kristen @ verbs and vignettes November 24, 2011 at 11:00 am

wowza. this is one of the most creative recipes i’ve ever seen! i might go buy extra pie for this; i don’t think my family would let me get my hands on my mama’s pies for oatmeal. i’ll win them over.

Allison November 24, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Thanks for the recipe edit, I did make this pie, but the crust was burnt, sides and top! The inside was delicious though, I’m scraping it out the crust as I type! I think next time I will not pre bake the crust, I don’t mind the crumbliness of it, it also gets a blast in the oven when cooked with the filling. I will also add a bit of a sweetener to the crust, I found a creamy buttery taste was missing. Can’t wait to perfect it again and keep up the great work!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2011 at 7:21 pm

So sorry to hear that Allison! Someone let me know this morning about the discrepancy and I changed it, although I’m sure too late for many…I will be sure to triple check things from now on. I got confused because my other crust pre-bakes at 425F. I hope if you try it again it works wonderfully baking at 350F as it did for me.

Cristina November 24, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Hey Ang,

Just wanted to share that I started a 356 photo a day type blog on flickr and thought you might like to check it out.

Also, I’m curious to when yur gunna change the ‘season’ banner…..no pressure :D

PS: I’m the girl who sent the ‘Oprah-email’ :D

Cristina November 24, 2011 at 5:20 pm

duh. didn’t include the Flickr link!!

VeggieGirl November 24, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Happy vegan Thanksgiving to you! I had an amazing vegan/vegetarian potluck experience, feeling so blessed that we have so much to be thankful for in this cruelty free lifestyle :)

[email protected] November 24, 2011 at 9:41 pm

So imaginative! Fabulous idea.

Mara November 25, 2011 at 1:27 am

It’s way passed my bedtime and I’m looking at this post (probably for the 100th time, no joke) and I’d really like if you could FedEx a piece over here, pretty please, with coconut cream on top? I would like nothing more than a piece of that pumpkin pie right before I go to sleep. I can dream can’t I:-)
So, I decided to whip up the spicy butternut squash hummus and since I had extra squash, I made the butternut squash mac n cheese for the first time as well – both finger lickin’ good. Seriously! The flavours with the hummus have developed overnight and I couldn’t contain myself today. The mac n cheese could send me to rehab, so addicting! Thank you making our hearts and tummies so content (and healthy).

Crystal Limehouse November 25, 2011 at 7:31 am

Genius! We don’t have any left over pie, but we do have sweet potato casserole. Sweet potatoes, eggs, milk, brown sugar,vanilla, pecans, and oatmeal? yes.

Anne November 25, 2011 at 8:35 am

I think I will have to make a pumpkin pie just to make this for breakfast. LOL

Joy J November 25, 2011 at 11:52 am

I made your Pumpkin Pie casserole this morning and it was delicious! I added about 1/2 cup of pumpkin and just a little agave syrup. Perfect! I will definitely save this to make again next year!

Brittany November 25, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I love this idea!!

Stephanie November 28, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Oh yum! I am making this tonight. I just posted on brunch, as well…www.partydish.net. Enjoy!

Kathryn November 29, 2011 at 1:34 pm

This is funny because I’d actually have to make several extra pies for there to be enough leftovers to make this. I have a pumpkin pie problem. One year when I was about 8 my sister made it and forgot to put the sugar in…I ate it anyway. A PROBLEM, I may seek help after the new year.

Ashley November 30, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Brilliant idea!!

Kelly Duncan December 1, 2011 at 11:46 am

I was wondering why my piecrust came out very ‘rustic’ looking after prebaking it for only 10 minutes. I decided to put the foil around the crust before I put it back in the oven & it came out totally fine! Everyone thought it was delicious & as usual all were very skeptical at first. I can’t wait to try the breakfast casserole, now I have an excuse to make another pie!

Kristi December 4, 2011 at 7:49 am

Hi Angela!

Thanks for this recipe! I made your pumpkin pie yesterday and today I’m making the casserole to bring to work for a pot luck! I hope I can refrain from eating it until tomorrow!! :-) Thanks for the recipes!!

Chloe November 19, 2012 at 3:40 pm

WOW , this looks so tasty , i cant belive i have only just seen this , :) yummy , i absolutly have to try this out . B.T.W im from england and my family just loves pumpkin pie .When they are widely avaliable at this time of year , we always take the oppertunities to make new and exciting meals out of pumpkin !

beachmama November 25, 2013 at 2:37 pm

You are a genius! What a great idea, thanks so much!

Gina Glo February 10, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Love this recipe!! I’ve made it twice so far, the first with exactly the same ingredients (only omited ginger) using pumpkin pie and about 1/2 -3/4 cup pumpkin, that I had leftover from making the pie. I drizzled maple syrup on top of that because it wasn’t quite sweet enough. Then this morning I made this again using pecan pie, and I used 1/3 cup amber agave nectar instead of maple syrup, omited ginger again, and didn’t save any pie for strudel topping- I made my own instead with graham cracker crumbs (about 3/4 cup), 2-3 T. butter and 2-3 T. brown sugar (I just eye-balled everything) – so so yummy! Thanks for this awesome idea!!

Baby June November 30, 2014 at 9:07 am

I actually tried this today (old recipe, but still looks good!) and it is AWESOME! Took pictures, probably going to post it on my blog (with citations, of course). Hope you don’t mind!

Jenny November 27, 2017 at 3:20 pm

Hi, I only have quick cooking oats right now, would that work in place of rolled oats?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 28, 2017 at 8:13 am

Hey Jenny, I’m sorry I haven’t tried this with quick cooking oats before so I can’t say for certain whether it would work. They tend to have a much softer (mushy) texture compared to rolled oats. If you try anything out please let us know how it goes!