Peanut Butter Chocolate Pillows

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on November 4, 2011

IMG_4115

Happy Birthday to my Brother in Law, Steve!

Steve just so happens to be smitten with my baked goods, so every birthday I spoil him with a new vegan treat to enjoy.

I’ve been meaning to make these Peanut Butter Chocolate Pillows by Isa & Terry for a very long time now!

IMG_4126

I think I was a bit intimidated by the process of making these cookies. Stuffing a peanut butter ball into a cookie didn’t exactly sound fool proof (and trust me, I can mess up the easiest things at times!), but these cookies have been so well reviewed on other blogs I knew it couldn’t be that difficult.

It turns out that it is fool proof! So fool proof in fact, I would go as far to say that these would be really fun to make with kids.

IMG_4123

I’ll show you the step by step process to show you just how easy it is!

You start off by making your chocolate dough and your peanut butter dough. I mixed both by hand. When the chocolate dough got stiff, I got in there with my hands and kneaded it together. Sometimes, you gotta get dirty in the kitchen!

IMG_4072

Umm excuse me sir, that’s not dirt in my nails, it’s chocolate dough…duh.

Break your peanut butter dough ball in half.

IMG_4073

Break each half in half again and then break each quarter into 6 pieces (as even as possible):

IMG_4080

This simply makes it easier to get even pieces.

Roll in hands until smooth:

IMG_4081

Repeat for the other 3 quarters:

IMG_4082

I ended up making 25 balls instead of 24 because that’s just how it worked out. And I obviously wanted an extra cookie!

Grab a chunk of dough (about a heaping tablespoon) and place it in your palm. With your other palm, flatten and press the dough until you have a large thin disc like so:

IMG_4085

Place a PB ball in the middle of the disc:

IMG_4087

Wrap it up (the dough may crack a bit but not to worry!)

IMG_4088

And roll it in your hands until smooth:

IMG_4090

Repeat for the rest!

IMG_4091

See, fool proof.

IMG_4092

You may be tempted to do this…

IMG_4094

and you wouldn’t be alone. You may debate whether baking is even necessary. Then you remember these are not for you. Doh!

Bake at 350F for 10 minutes exactly.

Excuse me cookie, is that a PB ball or are you just happy to see me?!

IMG_4096

sorry, lame.

Yup, they look just like the picture in the cookbook! I love when that happens. They also taste just like I imagined them to- like a peanut butter ball in cookie form. Granted, they are by no means a healthy cookie, but what would a birthday be without a mild sugar coma?

IMG_4097

Now, I face the impossible feat of ignoring these all day long. I guess I didn’t plan that one too well now did I?

IMG_4107

Not only is it Steve’s lucky day but it’s yours because Isa posted the recipe online for all your cookie pleasure!

I made just 1 change to Isa’s recipe:

• I used coconut oil instead of canola (I melted it first)

Click here for the cookie recipe.

May the cookie pillows be with you!

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race November 4, 2011 at 11:02 am

Oh man, these look crazy tasty! :P

Natalie November 4, 2011 at 11:03 am

Wow. YUM!

Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission November 4, 2011 at 11:03 am

These look ridiculously good. I have made these in cupcake form and they are 100% worth the extra calories.
They look good raw too!

Heather @ Better With Veggies November 4, 2011 at 11:05 am

These really do look like they would be complicated – a great way to impress your guests, right?! :) Just in time for the holiday parties and cookie parties that I’m sure will start popping up – thanks for sharing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 4, 2011 at 11:36 am

yes they def. look harder than they were to make!

LisaLisa November 4, 2011 at 11:08 am

Just a note. For those of us who work out/watch our fat/calorie intake, I would substitute PB2 (from Bell Plantation) which can be easily made back into PB yet without all the crazy fat normal PB has
PB2 – 45 calories 3 grams of fat for 2 TBL
regular PB – 200 calories 17 grams of fat for 2 TBL

that is the difference

rachel November 4, 2011 at 11:09 am

i love these, i make them every year and give them away at christmas :)

Ami @ parsnips and pears November 4, 2011 at 11:11 am

oh wow I HAVE to try these. I hope I can actually make them into those little pillows before just eating handfuls of the dough by itself :s.

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com November 4, 2011 at 11:12 am

Excuse me cookie, is that a PB ball or are you just happy to see me?!

BWAHAHA! Saucy! :D

Those look so dang good….I might have to bake up a batch (along with the pumpkin muffins and berry bran muffins I already got planned!) this weekend!

Happy Friday!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 4, 2011 at 11:36 am

Happy baking!

Antonia November 4, 2011 at 11:13 am

Wow, these look incredible. I’m definitely making them soon.

Magen November 4, 2011 at 11:15 am

That’s one of my favorite cookbooks! I haven’t made the pillows yet… but you have definitely inspired me. Have you made the rocky roads yet? They are my absolute favorite!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 4, 2011 at 11:37 am

I haven’t made much from it yet, but I hope to change that! :)

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca November 4, 2011 at 11:16 am

mmmmmmmmm peanut butter inside a chocolate cookie has to be one of the best ideas ever! Isa is a genuis! Great job on the cookies :)

lynn @ the actor's diet November 4, 2011 at 11:19 am

seriously wanna sleep on one of those pillows (w my mouth open)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 4, 2011 at 11:37 am

haha :) best pillow ever

Amie Sue November 4, 2011 at 11:19 am

Oh that looks so yummy! I have a raw food site…here is a raw version for fun. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 5, 2011 at 7:25 am

wow!!!

Caitlin November 4, 2011 at 11:21 am

I’m pretty sure I could just eat those pb balls straight, no choc required! Love the name of this recipe – pillow, cute!

Cindy November 4, 2011 at 11:22 am

A bit hit, but alot of work when you have a family who loves PB eating them up as soon as they are out of the oven. I’m sure the Birthday Boy enjoyed!

Caitlyn November 4, 2011 at 11:24 am

I don’t know if mine would make it to the oven!

Melissa November 4, 2011 at 11:29 am

*drooling* I would run to the kitchen right now to bake these, but I have a double batch of your chocolate chip cookies in the fridge. I WOULD be in sugar coma if I had these around too! Although I could make them and bring to work…….hmmmm……..

Mallory November 4, 2011 at 11:31 am

AHHHHHH, I made these a few days ago and..
I have no words. Seriously, and they were way easier to make than I thought they would be!
All my friends and family were so impressed. ( HOW DO YOU GET PEANUT BUTTER INSIDE THERE???)
Everybody loved them, and never even knew they were vegan. This cookbook is on my christmas list! (:

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 4, 2011 at 11:38 am

“HOW DO YOU GET PEANUT BUTTER INSIDE THERE???”

haha oh man I hope I get the same reaction. ;) I’m going to tell them it’s a secret….like Caramilk bar.

Cait's Plate November 4, 2011 at 11:33 am

I’m such a sucker for your photography that you could probably feature something completely inedible and I’d still think it was incredible. But the fact that you featured my two favorite flavors together ON TOP of your beautiful photos??? I’m speechless (and drooling) :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 4, 2011 at 11:39 am

You are too kind :)

Sarah with Veggie Kids November 4, 2011 at 11:33 am

Wow those look so good! My boys would LOVE those! You could even dust them with powdered sugar and call them a holiday cookie-yummy!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 4, 2011 at 11:40 am

That’s a fun idea!

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well. November 4, 2011 at 11:35 am

Oh my sweet deliciousness!! These look extremely amazing!

Jenny @ Simply Be...me November 4, 2011 at 11:38 am

Wow! I think I need to start pinning more recipes in anticipation for Christmas cookie gifts. Stay strong today :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com November 4, 2011 at 11:40 am

Happy Birthday Steve :)

That is one delicious looking PB pillows – I don’t think it would ever get into the oven. I have a low threshold for anything that even remotely resembling to PB & Chocolate :)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty November 4, 2011 at 11:44 am

My husband loves you for these, and he hasn’t even tried them yet! hahah

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh November 4, 2011 at 11:55 am

Why is it the word “pillow” when referring to food makes it good before even reading the ingredients. Then you do and say oh HECK YEAH BABY!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit November 4, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Wow, these look amazing… and SO pillow-like. Gosh, I wish I could have peanuts. But I bet roasted cashew butter would be ridiculous in this too! Or coconut butter :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 4, 2011 at 12:24 pm

sunflower seed butter would be amazing!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit November 4, 2011 at 2:34 pm

omg you’re right. I need to make some?!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 4, 2011 at 12:03 pm

i just finished the last sweet in my house (a brownie) so obviously I need to make more now. Love these!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 4, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Oh boy, these look so GOOD and are quite tempting to make… It doesn’t help that you make them look so easy! A peanut butter and chocolate combo is my favorite!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset November 4, 2011 at 12:13 pm

You are too cute and creative Angela :) Thanks for another great recipe

kalli November 4, 2011 at 12:19 pm

oh my goodness i am defnitely making these! heaven sent…thank you angela!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape November 4, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Oohh this looks amazing!! And so simple!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 4, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Oooh yum Ange!! I don’t think I’d be able to make it past preparing the dough…. I’d probably have it devoured in seconds!! I hope Steve has an amazing birthday!! :)

GlowingBIL November 4, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Looks great Ang! I Look forward to trying one myself if you are bringing extra :)

Amanda November 4, 2011 at 12:48 pm

“Umm excuse me sir, that’s not dirt in my nails, it’s chocolate dough…duh.” hahaha I’ve totally been there. :)

Thanks for the step-by-step guide! These look fantastic.

Emily November 4, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Oh my goodness Angela, these look delicious!
Can’t wait to try them.

Amber K November 4, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I have got to figure out a good gluten-free way to make these, because they look so heavenly!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I think I just died. Those look like the best cookies I have ever seen. It’s like a reeses peanutbutter cup… but a cookie.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner November 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Oh gosh, now I want a bed of chocolate and peanut butter and have THOSE for my pillows. :)

Julie November 4, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Oh wow, these look amazing! I am definitely going to check out this recipe- I love anything with peanut butter and chocolate :) I am a huge fan of Veganomicon, so I’m sure I’d like this cookbook too.

Melody (Redhead in the Kitchen) November 4, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Your “or are you just happy to see me comment”: totally not lame. Loved the writing and love the recipe! This one goes into my Christmas cookie files.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm

:) heh

Yes it would make a great Christmas cookie!

TeenyLittleSuperChef November 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Holy hot damn of chocolately peanut buttery awesome-ness! I almost licked my computer screen after seeing these beautiful gems. I must get my hands on this cookbook ASAP so I can make these too. I better make sure to have other people around though, or I have a feeling I would eat the whole dang batch. But wait, peanut butter and chocolate are good for you, so that would actually be okay. I would be improving my health, right?

TeenyLittleSuperChef November 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Oh, der. I just saw that you posted a link to the recipe. No need to buy the cookbook! Woohoo!

Susan H. @ the food allergy chronicles November 4, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Yummy! My two favourites all ‘rolled’ up in one! I think I will have to try these with Peabutter as my boy’s are allergic to peanuts.
What about a dried strawberry right in the middle as an added sweet surprise? You could even dress them up with a dot of vanilla icing with a dried cherry on the top! What a versatile cookie! Thanks for sharing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 4, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Mmm!

I was thinking some strawberry jam would be amazing in the middle of the PB ball!

Susan H. @ the food allergy chronicles November 4, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Most definately! The possibilities seem endless…

Olya November 4, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Oh wow! Thank you so much for posting this! I have seen it in a book and was intimidated to make it as well. I’m off to make it now. Thanks!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie November 4, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Oh my goodness, I’m drooling. Those look amazing.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm

These look so good! I love how PUFFY they are and that they stay puffy like that! Whenever I try to make stuffed cookies, they tend to deflate. I love how cute and puffy these stayed.

And the combo…chocolate AND Pb in one cookie….perfect!!

Hayley @ Oat Couture November 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Oooh yum! You can’t go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter!! :) I made peanut butter cups today and I have definitely overindulged… it’s not even my birthday! Oops! ;)

lindsay November 4, 2011 at 3:14 pm

i could easily drool on these “pillows.” Good thing they are edible. hehe. Happy Friday.
:P

kathleen @ the daily crumb November 4, 2011 at 3:46 pm

i love these! almost like a sophisticated reese’s :) you really can never go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate.

Alexia @ NamasteYoga November 4, 2011 at 3:59 pm

oh these look heavenly! i used to love reeses in the US and these are definitely a better healthyfied version! MUST recreate!

Shady November 4, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Holy crap am I excited to try these. Made them during my study break and will eat them all weekend to fuel more studying. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 4, 2011 at 5:56 pm

These look incredible! I thought I was going to have to go out and buy the book to make these, so I’m glad she posted the recipe online. But I may have to buy the book anyways, if the rest of her recipes are as good as these cookies!

char @ char on a mission November 4, 2011 at 5:57 pm

This is genius!!!! Steve’s one lucky brother-in-law. If I were you, I’d probably give him one and then pretend like rest didn’t turnout somehow :P

Esen November 4, 2011 at 6:04 pm

This looks amazing, can’t wait to try it!!

Esen

Bethany November 4, 2011 at 6:19 pm

lol! I love your jokes! Wish I could eat peanut butter… Maybe I’ll give it whirl with sun butter. I’ll let you know if I do and how it turns out :0)

Molly @ RDexposed November 4, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I love this concept!

Becca November 4, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I made my fiance PB cups for his birthday this year. Next year I’ll have to make him these!

jenna November 4, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Mmmm! I’d use coconut oil too. I wonder how pumpkin puree could be infused into that centre!? Since I can never break apart dough into similar sized pieces, I always use a tool that I think is for either melon balling or making truffles. My cookies are always perfectly sized.

Jessica @ Chockohlawtay November 4, 2011 at 8:50 pm

These look so fudgey! It’s obvious that there’s a surprise in that cookie, but a peanut butter surprise!! Oh my goodness.

Elle November 4, 2011 at 9:14 pm

oh yes, I have made these. A bit hit. Hope your BIL likes them.

They are really quite fool proof!

[email protected] healthy helper blog! November 4, 2011 at 9:22 pm

PEANUT BUTTER>>>>CHOCOLATE>>>>> PILLOWS!?!?!?!? ZOMG! These look like heaven!

Andrea November 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm

OMG! Now I know what I’m doing on a rainy Sunday afternoon!
Probably eating about half of those delightful cookies raw!
NOM! :)

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts November 4, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Oh goodness. Now I want these as a post-breakfast snack :P They look amazing!

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl November 5, 2011 at 12:43 am

I love Isa site, recipes and cookbooks. And i love peanute butter and chocolate. Your pics make me want to run to my kitchen and make them… Or just reach through the screen and grab one. ;)
Nice job! Glad they are fool proof.

Kris | iheartwellness.com November 5, 2011 at 6:49 am

WOW!!!! Lucky Man Steve!!! I love peanut butter and chocolate….but how would an added smear of jam taste with these bad boys??? YUM!!!!!

What a fun idea these are :)

xxoo

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 5, 2011 at 6:52 am

I have been searching all night for a perfect cookie with chocolate and peanut butter and I opened my e-mail and there it is! Thank you! Going to try these this morning!!

Alyssa (Down To Earth) November 5, 2011 at 7:25 am

Oh my gosh, too funny – I just marked that exact recipe in my Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar book on Thursday! I hope to make them this weekend :) With the way yours turned out, now I’m ready to bake – they look delicious!

Stef November 5, 2011 at 7:57 am

I’m eating breakfast & just saw this post of the cookies…& it makes me want to through out this cereal & get started making these AMAZING DELICIOUS looking cookies!

osgmom November 5, 2011 at 9:02 am

How I managed to overlook this recipe in my copy of Vegan Cookies by Isa is a mystery ??? considering PB and chocolate are my two all time favourite combos :) Thanks so much for posting the step by step instructions which is always so helpful. I’ll be making a lot of these for Christmas. HBD to Steve!

Katrina November 5, 2011 at 9:47 am

Mmm these sound sooo yummy!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco November 5, 2011 at 10:02 am

Congragulations on the win, Mrs. Best Veg Blog and Best Overall Blog! We miss you. ;)

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel November 5, 2011 at 10:05 am

THESE ARE OUTSTANDING! anything peanut butter wrapped up in chocolate is p-e-r-f-e-c-t! these would be amazing to serve at a party since they are the right bite-size for snacking!

xoxo <3

Moni'sMeals November 5, 2011 at 1:15 pm

only a matter of time before I make these lil suckers! :)

Ashley November 5, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I’ve made these before and everyone loved them, though yours look a lot better than mine!! I need to try making these again.

miranda November 5, 2011 at 4:07 pm

made these tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have lost all self control and they are almost gone!!!!!!!!!! SOOOOOO goood!!! Thank you! These are the best cookies I have had in a LONG time!

hannah alehandra November 5, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I’ve bookmarked the recipe! Can’t wait to try it. Mmmm Peanut butter. Kiss from England, Love your blog Angela!xo http://hannahalehandra.blogspot.com/

Christine (The Raw Project) November 5, 2011 at 6:14 pm

These look fabulous, I need to get the book. And your pictures or gorgeous. Congrats on the Foodbuzz awards, sorry I missed you at the festival!

Coby November 5, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Those look amazing! I have made peanut butter stuffed peanut butter cookies, but doing that in a chocolate cookies sounds delicious!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) November 5, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Oooooooh, I will be making these VERY soon!!!!!!!!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. November 5, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I have that book but use it as food porn!!! These look amazing. I quit sugar and wheat and everything yummy that book has in it!!! There are a few recipes I am going to try in there, but mostly I look and then drool!

Kirsten November 5, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Oh. My. God. As a long-term reader of your blog (love your work!), who has never (NEVER!) commented before- seeing this post was all it took to make me hit the ‘add one’ link & say ‘Hi’. :) My 2 favourite foods- chocolate & peanut butter- in one awesome food creation! I’ll admit, I MAY have gone into a little panic when I couldn’t see the recipe anywhere…& then I saw the LINK. ;) Thanks for sharing! PS- The quality of your photography always amazes me! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 6, 2011 at 4:11 pm

hehe thanks Kirsten! :)

Jacquie November 6, 2011 at 10:17 am

Hi Angela!
Found your while browsing the web for healthy “veganish” recipes! My husband and I are trying to incorporate more wholesome foods and limiting our intake of animal products that make us FAT! We watched the movie “Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead” and since then we have been juicing daily and eating more of the “good stuff”! The book Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman is a great inspiration to rid our bodies of the “SAD”! Your website is just as WONDERFUL! Your writing is great and the photos are beautiful! I love reading all your posts! Truly enjoyable! I just made your Chocolate Torte! AMAZING! I am waiting to see your cookbook soon in the bookstores! I’m am very surprised I haven’t yet. You definately have the talent! Thanks so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Thank you Jacquie!

Nicole @ giraffelegs November 6, 2011 at 11:26 am

This is such a fun idea!

Lauren (@PoweredbyPB) November 6, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I love these cookies, and they are my boyfriends favourites. I always whip up a batch for special occasions.

Katie @ BloomEveryday November 6, 2011 at 12:25 pm

These look perfect, my favorite combo of flavors – PB and chocolate!

– Katie

Check us out sometime at BloomEveryday.wordpress.com! :) We can’t wait to start sharing recipes with you.

Jess @ Jess Go Bananas November 6, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I love when recipes look extremely hard to make but are actually very easy!! People always ooh and aah that much more!

Jen @newellnd November 6, 2011 at 12:37 pm

These look fantastic! Were you able to hold out and ignore them all day? I doubt I would have that kind of willpower…I rarely do when it comes to pb and chocolate

A Teenage Gourmet November 6, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I really want to vacation in your kitchen.

Mara November 6, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Looks scary good! Now how come I am dreaming of your holiday baking even though I have no idea what that involves? I know it will be speechless defying hence my imagination already going there. I woke up this morning not to thoughts of “why are the kids in our bed (1yr & 3yr old)” but “I wonder if Angela will be making peppermint donuts for the season or better yet – pound cake cubes dipped in chocolate and rolled in coconut (like snowballs)!!” Would love to see a sneak peek of any recipes you have conjured up for the season. I’m like a little girl at xmas waiting for Santa only I’m waiting for your imaginatinative and blissful recipes:-)

Shana November 6, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I made these cookies for my step-dad. It was incredibly difficult not to eat all of the dough! I was also initially intimidated by the process but it ended up being super easy. Delicious cookie!

Michaela November 6, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I want these!
soooo happy the recipe is online!
will check it out NOW! bye!

[email protected] November 7, 2011 at 1:50 am

Those look delicious!

Alex @ Raw Recovery November 7, 2011 at 9:35 am

These look like great holiday cookies!

jenna November 7, 2011 at 9:48 am

what heavenly pillows!! these look amazing!

Alex @ fightcancerwithfood November 7, 2011 at 11:05 am

Haha I love these photos, the sequence makes it look like they’re having little peanut butter and chocolate ball babies!

Just me…?

[email protected] November 7, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I guess there was a reason you made the extra ball! Thanks for the step-by-step and the link to the recipe. These might be boyfriend appreciation cookies this weekend!

Danielle November 7, 2011 at 2:53 pm

These look so amazing, I cannot wait to try them! There really is nothing better than PB and chocolate. I was just curious though if you think this would work as a gluten-free cookie, and if so what type of flour do you suggest trying. I find so many of the gluten-free flours leave a bitter aftertaste in my baking that I do not like. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011 at 7:38 am

Hmm that would be a tough one! I would use a GF sugar cookie recipe maybe and then add cocoa??

Kristin November 7, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Hi Angela! I love looking at your blog and have had great success trying out some of your recipes (hummus, creamy tomato pasta MMM!, veggie burritos). Question for you, I notice that you use pure maple syrup to sweeten some of your recipes. Just wondered if there is a reason why you use it over Agave? Also, have you ever tried Xylitol? Thanks :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011 at 7:38 am

I just prefer the taste of maple syrup, but I dont have anything against agave. I have not tried Xylitol before.

Carissa November 7, 2011 at 4:33 pm

These remind me of buckeye balls, but they’re cookies instead. They’d be perfect for Christmas with the “surprise” in the middle!

Sara November 7, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I made these for my PTA classmates today and everyone really enjoyed them. A bit heavy on the sugar and oil for my taste personally, but they liked em so that’s ok :)

Jessica November 7, 2011 at 10:16 pm

OMG, these are fantastic. I CANT stop eating them! I got this book from the library a while back and EVERY cookie I tried was wonderful and got rave reviews from the hubby (which is hard to get). I never tried these because they seemed like a lot of work. They really arent that much work, and SO good! People, stop reading and make these! Thanks for the motivation to make these, Ang.

Kelsey November 8, 2011 at 11:55 am

bless you for using step by step photos

[email protected] November 8, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I love these!!! Peanut butter is my favourite! Love the 2 doughs and you’re right….they dont even need baking ;)

Tracy November 9, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Excuse me cookie, is that a PB ball or are you just happy to see me?!

LMAO…that really had me cracking up! I’m saving this recipe. This will be good for the holidays. They look so FREAKING yummy!

Carolyn November 11, 2011 at 11:38 am

I made a batch of these as a thank you gift (well a half batch, and then we kept half of that!). I was asked for the recipe. My 85-yr old mom also wants the recipe! These cookies have what I always refer to as an “adult” taste – not too sickly sweet, just more flavour with all the cocoa. Yum. The only thing I didn’t like was that they are extremely greasy to work with (though when they cook up they aren’t at all greasy). I wouldn’t mind even a bit more pb flavour, and maybe a bit creamier in the centre. I might experiment and add more next time. I also followed the advice in the original post to microwave a cookie for 10 seconds or so if you are having them a day or so later. Makes those “pillows” nice and soft again – just the way I like them! :)

One final hint – next time I’m going to roll each dough out into a log and cut equal pieces that way, rather than pinching/guessing/rolling each piece. I actually weighed each piece on my scale, but that’s labour-intensive! By rolling it out you could easily portion them into the right number. :)

Ana Maria November 13, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Hi Angela – I made these on Friday and my whole family and boyfriend loved them. Thanks so much!

Jennifer December 10, 2011 at 7:39 pm

They look so good!! I sat at my desk for a bit working with the recipe then it was off to the kitchen. Now my family is eating the best Gluten Free cookie of their life. Thank you for sending me in the Peanut Butter Chocolate Pillow direction.

bamboocookie December 11, 2011 at 9:53 am

omg, your blog is so stunning!
everytime I come here it’s so fascinating ♥
(although I’m not vegan btw)

Thank you for sharing!
Have a very fluffy third advent =)

Jennifer December 15, 2011 at 11:02 am

Your Peanut Butter Chocolate Pillows were such an inspiration to me. We have celiac and a dairy allergy, so I did a little tweaking to the recipe and the pillows came out delish. Thank You so much for bringing such a yummy goodie into our house. http://perfectlynaturalfamilysoaps.com/1/post/2011/12/gluten-free-peanut-butter-chocolate-pillows.html

Heather Brandt July 25, 2012 at 4:44 pm

What kind of flour did you use in this? We are gluten-free…

Celena July 25, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I made these for a Superbowl party a couple years ago and everyone loved them! They definitely fall in the category of, “THIS is vegan???”. Thanks for the reminder about these… Just might have to find an excuse to make them again soon. :)

amanda July 25, 2012 at 5:37 pm

This was the first cookie I made from that book. They were a big hit as gifts for friends! My favorite recipe in that book though is the Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles. I actually made this one first because Isa posted it to PPK. MAN those cookies are delicious. I have friends who suggest I bring them every time I visit.

[email protected] July 25, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I NEED those in my mouth right now!!

HanaS July 28, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Hi, I just love this recipe but I’m having a problem with two ingredients used in this recipe being a foreigner. Could someone, please, clarify for me what non-dairy milk is? The recipe say 2 tbs non-dairy milk. Is it a special kind of milk or is it a powder? And then the recipe calls for soya creamer, so again, is it a powder or liquid? Thank you, I would very much love to make these pillows but I don’t want to get stuck on these two things. Thank you :)
HanaS

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 28, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Hey Hana! Non-dairy milk is simply any milk not derived from an animal (eg, almond milk, rice milk, soy milk, etc). I dont use soy creamer so I subbed in more almond milk. Hope this helps & enjoy!

HanaS July 29, 2012 at 4:14 am

Thank you very much, Angela. I will use soya milk then although I have almond milk as well. With respect to the soya creamer I assume it’s a powder but it’s perfectly all right to use the (soya or almond) milk as well. Looking forward to trying it :)

Marcie December 16, 2012 at 7:00 pm

SO good . My husband is going to DEVOURE it !

Gabi Koeppel February 14, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Angela, I am new to your blog and love everything about it. My boys thought your chocolate chip cookies were “amazing, best ever”. I am vegan, but my husband and boys are not so it is very gratifying when they love something that I can also eat. I made the Peanut Butter Chocolate Pillows this morning for valentines day because one of my sons loves reese’s cups. I savd about half of the plain chocolate dough to make cookies for my other son who adores chocolate but does not like peanut butter. I have one puzzling question: The cookies seem rather greasy from the coconut oil. I will definitely cut down on the amount next time, but maybe I did not understand what you meant on the substitution. I used a 1/2 cup of already melted coconut oil. Maybe you meant that I should have scooped out a 1/2 cup of hardened oil and then melted that which I suspect would have yeilded much less. In any event, the cookies are all cooling and ready for my boys for after school snacks. I have left over peanut butter batter so I just made “peanut butter fudge balls and threw them into a ziploc. I am seriously concerned that if my family does not come home soon I will eat everything! The peanut butter fudge balls are “mocking me” (a term my youngest uses for chocolate desserts all the time).

Thank you. Gabi

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 21, 2013 at 8:22 am

Hi Gabi! Thanks for your lovely comment and I am sorry for the delay in getting to this!
About the coconut oil, yes I did mean to measure semi-firm oil and then melt it afterwards. Sorry for the confusion.

Madonna March 8, 2013 at 3:20 am

I have to say, without your pictures I would have been completely lost in how to form these cute little pb coco pillows. Thanks for taking the time and effort to show us how to roll and flattened the dough. You’re quite amazing!

katharina March 18, 2013 at 1:00 pm

thanks a lot for those great recipes you do!!!! i made these pillows and can’t stop eating :D thank god, there is not much left anymore!!

THANK YOU!

elle October 1, 2013 at 7:06 am

ahh I made these for a vegan friend of mine and they by no means made it to her whole (aka i ate most of them). I replaced some with almond butter and they were absolutely delicious (but did take a bit of time to make)

Mariana Vivas December 10, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Made this guys on the weekend :)

C. Black August 3, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Do you think spelt flour or whole wheat pastry flour would work in this recipe?