Chocolate Pumpkin Butter & Naked Apple Butter

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 2, 2011

IMG_2291

I can’t stop making fruit butter…help!

This time, I adapted my go-to pumpkin butter recipe and added cocoa powder and pure maple syrup to create a lovely chocolate flavour.

It’s a fun change if you are getting bored of plain pumpkin butter (not that that would ever happen). ;)

Silky & smooth pumpkin butter with a hint of chocolate. Now we’re talking!

IMG_2288

I also made another batch of Apple Butter.

IMG_2145

This time I made “Naked” Apple Butter. No sweetener, no spices, just apples.

IMG_2133

I also left the peel on and I added a 1/4 cup of apple juice. A few of you suggested leaving the peel on and blending, so I thought I would give that a whirl this time around. It cuts down the peeling time and also adds more nutrition.

IMG_2131

I cooked the apples on HIGH with the lid on for 4 hours. After 4 hours, it looked like applesauce:

IMG_2133

I cooled it slightly and transferred it to the blender. Be careful and make sure you don’t over-fill it. You might want to do this in 2-3 batches if need be.

IMG_2134

Once blended, it turned into the silkiest, most magnificent, buttery applesauce I have ever tasted!!

IMG_2137

I kept saying it looked and tasted like caramel. :)

Actually, it was a cross between applesauce and apple butter at this point.

Somehow I think you’ll find a way to clean the container…wink, wink.

IMG_2140

I added it back into the crockpot and cooked for several more hours (with lid propped ajar) until it was the consistency that I wanted.

IMG_2141

The only downside? 5lbs of apples made just 1 cup of apple butter. I think next time I will try adding more apple juice and not cooking it as long. Or I might even stop after the blender stage as it tasted incredible as it was!

IMG_2143

Recipage is all up to date as of this morning. :)

Courtney October 2, 2011 at 11:44 am

Wow, this looks heavenly. I could most likely eat it by the spoonful. :)

Sweet and Savvy October 2, 2011 at 11:47 am

Both of these look wonderful! Perfect for fall. :) Thanks for sharing!

Alex @ Raw Recovery October 2, 2011 at 11:48 am

Looks delicious! Apple butter is one of my most favorite toppings!

Jen @ The RA Vegan October 2, 2011 at 11:48 am

I love fruit butters of all kinds and these both sound heavenly!

Katrina October 2, 2011 at 11:54 am

I absolutely love the look of this! I would spread it on everything!

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots October 2, 2011 at 11:59 am

Yum! You are a genius…keep bringing on the fruit butters. I’m loving them! :-)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 2, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I can see how your addicted! Looks amazing :)

[email protected] October 2, 2011 at 12:17 pm

whoa it’s so strange that 5 c only makes 1 c in total~Perhaps it evaporates? But You’ve been really getting me motivated to try making my own fruit butter Angela!

Julie @ Shining From Within October 2, 2011 at 12:27 pm

The apple butter looks like CARAMEL! I wonder if you could put a stick in a granny smith, dunk it in said apple butter and freeze until set. Then eat like a caramel apple! And decorate it all sorts of way with dried fruits or choc chips :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Its funny you said that because I kept saying it tasted a bit like caramel!

Kelly Anderson October 2, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Looks really yummy! I am brand new to your website and I am loving it! I decided to become a veggeterian just a few weeks ago. I already feel so much better! I have always had a love / hate relationship with food and often binged when alone. My waist line took a tole. Now after 2 kids, I’m ready to have a healthy relationship with food and to teach my girls a better way to eat. Thanks for your help! My journey is just beginning so I’m going to need it! ~k.

J @ Ess and Jae V2.0 October 2, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Oh, YUM-O! I love apple season in the north. And the pumpkin butter looks amazing too. I’ve never tried it, but that may be a good rainy-day-afternoon activity.

Karisa October 2, 2011 at 1:06 pm

WOW! that looks amazing. I am going to have to give it a try.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 2, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Looks fabulous. I’m totally that girl sitting on a chair in the kitchen wiping my finger into the vitamix, licking, repeating… horrible but SO fun! I agree with Julie, it looks like caramel!
Have a great Sunday :)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco October 2, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Man, I need to make this! I’m all about doing stuff yourself. Congrats on your recipage! I know how much work that it, and cudos for getting it all done! ;)

Heather (Faces of Beauty) October 2, 2011 at 1:18 pm

doesn’t get much better than chocolate and pumpkin butter!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 2, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Nice job on the Recipage Ange! And these butters… yummm! I’m planning to make some apple sauce this month, and like you, I like mine ‘naked’ – with a bit of cinnamon too! The pumpkin butter sounds delicious. I have already been through 2 cans of pumpkin this weekend, but now I guess I’ve got a reason to crack open another can! :)

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe October 2, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Yum! I would have never thought to make chocolate pumpkin butter yet I can think of so many things it would be delicious on!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. October 2, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Just adore anything pumpkin. Pumpkiny, Yammy, Sweet Potatoey, all like candy!

Ana October 2, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Wow, both looks incredible! I am totally trying the chocolate pumpkin butter, it looks and sounds divine!
And I think that you can definitely get a better yield if you cook your apple butter for a shorter period of time.
Ana

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 2, 2011 at 2:33 pm

CHOCOLATE pumpkin butter?!?! Ahh that sounds like a heavenly combo! Yes please!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! October 2, 2011 at 2:38 pm

ahhh I JUST made a full batch of regular pumpkin butter, and now you have a chocolate version? I guess I just have to go buy more pumpkin now :-)

Moni'sMeals October 2, 2011 at 3:06 pm

These are so special. I still have not ever made a pumpkin butter, I know…what is the deal!?

Thanks for the recipe.

Kathy October 2, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I ran out of applesc& have no cans of pumpkin :(
Time to go to the store~ :)

Http://milk-and-tea.blogspot.com

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 2, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Wow…that is soooo smooth and awesome looking. It looks store-bought and PERFECT b/c it’s sooo smooth. Gotta love Vitas :)

“Be careful and make sure you don’t over-fill it. You might want to do this in 2-3 batches if need be.” <— for a second I was cringing as I read that and saw that line b/c I was fearing you were going to say it overflowed or you ended up with apple butter as wallpaper splatter. Thank goodness nothing crazy happened.

And good tip about skipping the final slow cooker stage. Doesnt look like it was necessary b/c the blender shots are…stunning!

Ana Maria October 2, 2011 at 4:15 pm

THAT LOOKS DELICIOUS!! :)

Dayanna platt October 2, 2011 at 4:33 pm

All I can say is “YUM!” to this recipe. I hit a special at whole foods yesterday (in Vancouver) for canned pumpkin… So I stocked up! I most deinately know what it will be used for (:

Kate October 2, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I made the pumpkin butter! I was planning on it for this weekend and then I saw today’s post with the addition of CHOCOLATE and just had to do it! It’s delicious…..unfortunately I wasn’t prepared for the exploding (boiling) pumpkin mixture and burnt my hand on molten pumpkin puree, well worth the pain though ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Sorry you burned your hand! It does boil rapidly. I will have to add a caution into the directions.

Kristina October 2, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Do you think I could use applesauce instead of apple juice in the pumpkin butter recipe? Also, what do you put pumpkin butter on, or do you just eat it? Thanks! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I’m not sure about subbing applesauce. I think it might work?

You can use it on pretty much anything (in my world that is!)…oatmeal, on bread/toast/crackers/cookies, spooned over ice cream, on muffins/sweet breads, in smoothies, or in baking.

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 2, 2011 at 5:22 pm

these recipes both look scrumptious. i am always on the lookout for something like “naked apple butter”. hate all of the added ingredients you tend to find in store bought versions.

Nicole October 2, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Cannot wait to try this!!!!!

Sam @ owlmazing October 2, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Wow. I am so glad you linked the original, I am sooo going to make some pumpkin butter! thank youuu! I can’t wait to eat it :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Enjoy Sam :)

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! October 2, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I LOVE FRUIT BUTTERSSSS!!! These look so delicious!!!

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel October 2, 2011 at 6:50 pm

i made something similar awhile back, it was an attempt to make chocolate pudding but i needed a thickener and only had pumpkin puree..happy accident for sure, it tastes amazing huh! just need to try it with that hint of apple next time :)

xoxo <3

Jillian October 2, 2011 at 7:22 pm

What type of apples did you use five pounds of?

Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection October 2, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I’ve actually never tried a fruit butter but it looks delicious!

Sarah October 2, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I just made pumpkin-pie brownie cupcakes from your recipe. My first vegan baking experience and they are great! Chocolate and pumpkin should go together more often…

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 3, 2011 at 9:26 am

Glad you enjoyed them!

Luv What You Do October 2, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I have eaten some amazing pumpkin and sweet potato butters andhave wanted to make my own with less sugar. This looks great! I will have to give it a try!

Bethany October 2, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I think I just died and went to heaven!

Jessica October 2, 2011 at 8:24 pm

The apple butter AND pumpkin butter sound SO easy and spectacular that I am going to try them ASAP!!!

[email protected]eDyeFiles October 2, 2011 at 8:50 pm

EVERYTHING should have a chocolate version! I have a really good idea for this pumpkin butter :)

Aimee October 2, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I WANT TO MAKE THIS IT LOOKS SO AMAZING! I also want to make EVERYTHING you post. Oh my goodness. This year I’ve been living abroad, in China, where I do not have access to an oven or practically ANY kitchen appliances for that matter (other than a knife and a stove…and it doesn’t make sense to purchase anything else because I’m only here for 1 year!), so I’ve just been drooling over your blog and biding my time until I get home.
A question: Do you think the Vita Mix is amazing and worth the money? Was it a worthy investment?
If anyone else wants to throw in their two cents, I’m all ears!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 3, 2011 at 9:27 am

I love the Vitamix, but the Oster brand of blenders was rated #2 by consumer reports. At $50, it’s worth looking into I think!

suzanne October 14, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Aimee- I just read your reply as i am getting ready to make this apple butter – I can completely relate to how you are feeling as I was abroad in India last year and felt the exact same way – missed my kitchen, cooking/baking and everything apples and pumpkin! But not to worry – you will appreciate it all the more when you get back home!

Amanda October 28, 2011 at 8:40 am

Yes, yes, yes. My Vita-Mix belonged to my grandfather; he bought it in 1994 I believe, and I got this model handed down to me when he bought a new one. So it’s 18 years old and going strong, and gets used at least once a day. I did have to replace the container once several years ago ($80), but the Vita Mix is something I would buy over and over without a single twinge of buyers’ remorse!

Jaclyn T October 2, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I think crabapple butter may be on the menu soon…..YUM!

–Jaclyn T
Nature Inspired Jewellery

Deb L. October 2, 2011 at 10:18 pm

This sure was the wrong post to read while I’m doing a 12-hour fast before a blood test!! Ha ha. Brutal, seriously. Your butters look simply amazing!!

Marilyn @ Lipgloss and Spandex October 2, 2011 at 10:50 pm

That looks AMAZING. I’m pretty sure I would just sit down and eat it all right after I made it.

Alyssa October 2, 2011 at 11:36 pm

okay after all these fruit butter recipes i am thinking it is about time to dust off the old crock pot… honestly. so delicious looking.

Aimee October 3, 2011 at 12:16 am

Dear Angela,
I just wanted to tell you how much I love and appreciate your blog. I’ve been searching for something like this for a while, but other “healthful lifestyle” and cooking blogs have left me feeling cold. But yours is different: it feels so intimate and personal, and thus SO much more inspiring! There’s just something about the WAY you write and present the beautiful photos and recipes. I really feel like I can see and hear and touch the human being behind this blog with every post and every line I read. And the recipes you make are creative and down-to-earth in a way I’ve never seen before. They’ve helped me to realize that food is a FRIEND. I am so thankful that you’ve shared your story and healing process. Your blog embodies the healthy wellness I hope I can reach. This blog is TRULY special ( as are you! :) ) It is so supportive and motivating, and you really give me the hope and encouragement I need while I struggle with my relationship with eating and exercise.
Aimee

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 4, 2011 at 7:39 am

Thank you Aimee :) I appreciate your support!

Kristin @ STUFT Mama October 3, 2011 at 12:20 am

OMG- pumpkin chocolate butter? What a fabulous combo! I can’t wait to try it! :) Yay! I love that it can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 weeks too! This is on my list for the week! :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com October 3, 2011 at 12:47 am

I think….just think, Im in love with this one the MOST!!! YUM!!!!!

xxoo

Samantha October 3, 2011 at 1:45 am

Wow that looks amazing. I am going o have to make that with our super juicy Japanese Apples. Ohhhh the joys of Apples and Pumpkins!

Johanna October 3, 2011 at 2:12 am

wow! I must try this next weekend!

Erika - The Teenage Taste October 3, 2011 at 5:52 am

Ooooh, that apple butter DOES look like caramel. Mmmmmmm! :-D

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh October 3, 2011 at 7:38 am

You can NEVER have enough fruit butters and add chocolate?! Forgeddaboutit!

LizAshlee October 3, 2011 at 7:48 am

The texture of the apple butter looks amazing…very caramel-like…divine! Too bad it didn’t make more..I prefer recipes like overnight oats where you only use a small amount and the original amount has multiplied overnight! :)

Jill @ A Cook's Nook October 3, 2011 at 8:43 am

This looks devine! I have a ton of sugar pumpkins and don’t know what to do with them. Now I do- thank you!

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl October 3, 2011 at 8:43 am

Just figured out what to do with all my apples. ;)

And chocolate pumpkin butter…. hmmm. thinking that spreading it on some Ezekiel toast would be divine.

Jenny October 3, 2011 at 8:44 am

I’ve never had any sort of “fruit butter” or “vegetable butter” (as in, pumpkin butter). I don’t really get what’s the difference between purées and “butters”? Do the “butters” have nicer consistencies? Hmm… Better spreadability?

In any case, I’ve had my eye on your pumpkin butter recipe and have had it printed out and in my ‘recipe bucket list’ pile for months… Now that it’s the season, I’m finally going to give it a shot! :) Maybe apple butter after that, if the pumpkin butter is a success…

With Style and Grace October 3, 2011 at 9:36 am

I just made a healthy chocolate pumpkin “butter”, but with chocolate peanut butter – it was amazing, but definitely making your version next!

Cait's Plate October 3, 2011 at 10:39 am

Oh. My. GOODNESS! Chocolate pumpkin butter sounds like the BEST thing on earth. I love making chocolate chip pumpkin muffins – the two flavors go so well together :)

Amber K October 3, 2011 at 11:05 am

It looks absolutely delicious. Whether you stop at the applesauce stage, after the blending stage, or go all the way through I can imagine it’s pretty darn good any which way!

Nat October 3, 2011 at 10:12 pm

The chocolate pumpkin butter is fantastic – definitely a great fall recipe! Thanks so much for sharing – I know that this one is a keeper for me!

[email protected] OMGosh I'm Vegan October 7, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I’m with you on the fruit butters. I’ve been making a bunch..

While I think I may have a “problem” (ok not really) this butter looks great and I want to rush right home and make it now.

Catherine Jervis October 10, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Does the pumpkin butter freeze well? i made a batch but there is too much for me to eat in 3 weeks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 11, 2011 at 7:31 am

I’m not sure, but I would assume you can! I’m sure there is info on the web on how to freeze it. You can also use it in baking recipes too!

Kaitlyn Nelson October 15, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Oh my goodness, this chocolate butter is amazing! I can’t wait to smoother it on my vegan pumpkin french toast this weekend and eat it with bananas and toast! It’s so good! Great recipe!

suzanne October 17, 2011 at 6:36 am

Not sure what I did wrong but mine is not thick enough and certainly not caramel tasting! oh – so disappointing! What kind of apples did you use? I am thinking that is part of my problem. I used macintosh. Thanks for any help – I want to try it again – or even fix up what I now have.

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa October 17, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Chocolate pumpkin butter?! What a great idea. Need.to.make.now.