Chocolate Pumpkin Butter & Naked Apple Butter

IMG 2291 thumb   Chocolate Pumpkin Butter & Naked Apple Butter

I can’t stop making fruit butter…help!

This time, I adapted my go-to pumpkin butter recipe and added cocoa powder and pure maple syrup to create a lovely chocolate flavour.

It’s a fun change if you are getting bored of plain pumpkin butter (not that that would ever happen). ;)

Silky & smooth pumpkin butter with a hint of chocolate. Now we’re talking!

IMG 2288 thumb   Chocolate Pumpkin Butter & Naked Apple Butter

I also made another batch of Apple Butter.

IMG 2145 thumb   Chocolate Pumpkin Butter & Naked Apple Butter

This time I made “Naked” Apple Butter. No sweetener, no spices, just apples.

IMG 2133 thumb   Chocolate Pumpkin Butter & Naked Apple Butter

I also left the peel on and I added a 1/4 cup of apple juice. A few of you suggested leaving the peel on and blending, so I thought I would give that a whirl this time around. It cuts down the peeling time and also adds more nutrition.

IMG 2131 thumb   Chocolate Pumpkin Butter & Naked Apple Butter

I cooked the apples on HIGH with the lid on for 4 hours. After 4 hours, it looked like applesauce:

IMG 2133 thumb1   Chocolate Pumpkin Butter & Naked Apple Butter

I cooled it slightly and transferred it to the blender. Be careful and make sure you don’t over-fill it. You might want to do this in 2-3 batches if need be.

IMG 2134 thumb   Chocolate Pumpkin Butter & Naked Apple Butter

Once blended, it turned into the silkiest, most magnificent, buttery applesauce I have ever tasted!!

IMG 2137 thumb   Chocolate Pumpkin Butter & Naked Apple Butter

I kept saying it looked and tasted like caramel. :)

Actually, it was a cross between applesauce and apple butter at this point.

Somehow I think you’ll find a way to clean the container…wink, wink.

IMG 2140 thumb   Chocolate Pumpkin Butter & Naked Apple Butter

I added it back into the crockpot and cooked for several more hours (with lid propped ajar) until it was the consistency that I wanted.

IMG 2141 thumb   Chocolate Pumpkin Butter & Naked Apple Butter

The only downside? 5lbs of apples made just 1 cup of apple butter. I think next time I will try adding more apple juice and not cooking it as long. Or I might even stop after the blender stage as it tasted incredible as it was!

IMG 2143 thumb   Chocolate Pumpkin Butter & Naked Apple Butter

Recipage is all up to date as of this morning. :)

Courtney October 2, 2011

Wow, this looks heavenly. I could most likely eat it by the spoonful. :)

Sweet and Savvy October 2, 2011

Both of these look wonderful! Perfect for fall. :) Thanks for sharing!

Alex @ Raw Recovery October 2, 2011

Looks delicious! Apple butter is one of my most favorite toppings!

Jen @ The RA Vegan October 2, 2011

I love fruit butters of all kinds and these both sound heavenly!

Katrina October 2, 2011

I absolutely love the look of this! I would spread it on everything!

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots October 2, 2011

Yum! You are a genius…keep bringing on the fruit butters. I’m loving them! :-)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 2, 2011

I can see how your addicted! Looks amazing :)

Ellie@fitforthesoul October 2, 2011

whoa it’s so strange that 5 c only makes 1 c in total~Perhaps it evaporates? But You’ve been really getting me motivated to try making my own fruit butter Angela!

Julie @ Shining From Within October 2, 2011

The apple butter looks like CARAMEL! I wonder if you could put a stick in a granny smith, dunk it in said apple butter and freeze until set. Then eat like a caramel apple! And decorate it all sorts of way with dried fruits or choc chips :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011

Its funny you said that because I kept saying it tasted a bit like caramel!

Kelly Anderson October 2, 2011

Looks really yummy! I am brand new to your website and I am loving it! I decided to become a veggeterian just a few weeks ago. I already feel so much better! I have always had a love / hate relationship with food and often binged when alone. My waist line took a tole. Now after 2 kids, I’m ready to have a healthy relationship with food and to teach my girls a better way to eat. Thanks for your help! My journey is just beginning so I’m going to need it! ~k.

J @ Ess and Jae V2.0 October 2, 2011

Oh, YUM-O! I love apple season in the north. And the pumpkin butter looks amazing too. I’ve never tried it, but that may be a good rainy-day-afternoon activity.

Karisa October 2, 2011

WOW! that looks amazing. I am going to have to give it a try.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 2, 2011

Looks fabulous. I’m totally that girl sitting on a chair in the kitchen wiping my finger into the vitamix, licking, repeating… horrible but SO fun! I agree with Julie, it looks like caramel!
Have a great Sunday :)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco October 2, 2011

Man, I need to make this! I’m all about doing stuff yourself. Congrats on your recipage! I know how much work that it, and cudos for getting it all done! ;)

Heather (Faces of Beauty) October 2, 2011

doesn’t get much better than chocolate and pumpkin butter!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 2, 2011

Nice job on the Recipage Ange! And these butters… yummm! I’m planning to make some apple sauce this month, and like you, I like mine ‘naked’ – with a bit of cinnamon too! The pumpkin butter sounds delicious. I have already been through 2 cans of pumpkin this weekend, but now I guess I’ve got a reason to crack open another can! :)

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe October 2, 2011

Yum! I would have never thought to make chocolate pumpkin butter yet I can think of so many things it would be delicious on!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. October 2, 2011

Just adore anything pumpkin. Pumpkiny, Yammy, Sweet Potatoey, all like candy!

Ana October 2, 2011

Wow, both looks incredible! I am totally trying the chocolate pumpkin butter, it looks and sounds divine!
And I think that you can definitely get a better yield if you cook your apple butter for a shorter period of time.
Ana

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 2, 2011

CHOCOLATE pumpkin butter?!?! Ahh that sounds like a heavenly combo! Yes please!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! October 2, 2011

ahhh I JUST made a full batch of regular pumpkin butter, and now you have a chocolate version? I guess I just have to go buy more pumpkin now :-)

Moni'sMeals October 2, 2011

These are so special. I still have not ever made a pumpkin butter, I know…what is the deal!?

Thanks for the recipe.

Kathy October 2, 2011

I ran out of applesc& have no cans of pumpkin :(
Time to go to the store~ :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 2, 2011

Wow…that is soooo smooth and awesome looking. It looks store-bought and PERFECT b/c it’s sooo smooth. Gotta love Vitas :)

“Be careful and make sure you don’t over-fill it. You might want to do this in 2-3 batches if need be.” <— for a second I was cringing as I read that and saw that line b/c I was fearing you were going to say it overflowed or you ended up with apple butter as wallpaper splatter. Thank goodness nothing crazy happened.

And good tip about skipping the final slow cooker stage. Doesnt look like it was necessary b/c the blender shots are…stunning!

Ana Maria October 2, 2011

THAT LOOKS DELICIOUS!! :)

Dayanna platt October 2, 2011

All I can say is “YUM!” to this recipe. I hit a special at whole foods yesterday (in Vancouver) for canned pumpkin… So I stocked up! I most deinately know what it will be used for (:

Kate October 2, 2011

I made the pumpkin butter! I was planning on it for this weekend and then I saw today’s post with the addition of CHOCOLATE and just had to do it! It’s delicious…..unfortunately I wasn’t prepared for the exploding (boiling) pumpkin mixture and burnt my hand on molten pumpkin puree, well worth the pain though ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011

Sorry you burned your hand! It does boil rapidly. I will have to add a caution into the directions.

Kristina October 2, 2011

Do you think I could use applesauce instead of apple juice in the pumpkin butter recipe? Also, what do you put pumpkin butter on, or do you just eat it? Thanks! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011

I’m not sure about subbing applesauce. I think it might work?

You can use it on pretty much anything (in my world that is!)…oatmeal, on bread/toast/crackers/cookies, spooned over ice cream, on muffins/sweet breads, in smoothies, or in baking.

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 2, 2011

these recipes both look scrumptious. i am always on the lookout for something like “naked apple butter”. hate all of the added ingredients you tend to find in store bought versions.

Nicole October 2, 2011

Cannot wait to try this!!!!!

Sam @ owlmazing October 2, 2011

Wow. I am so glad you linked the original, I am sooo going to make some pumpkin butter! thank youuu! I can’t wait to eat it :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011

Enjoy Sam :)

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! October 2, 2011

I LOVE FRUIT BUTTERSSSS!!! These look so delicious!!!

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel October 2, 2011

i made something similar awhile back, it was an attempt to make chocolate pudding but i needed a thickener and only had pumpkin puree..happy accident for sure, it tastes amazing huh! just need to try it with that hint of apple next time :)

xoxo <3

Jillian October 2, 2011

What type of apples did you use five pounds of?

Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection October 2, 2011

I’ve actually never tried a fruit butter but it looks delicious!

Sarah October 2, 2011

I just made pumpkin-pie brownie cupcakes from your recipe. My first vegan baking experience and they are great! Chocolate and pumpkin should go together more often…

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 3, 2011

Glad you enjoyed them!

Luv What You Do October 2, 2011

I have eaten some amazing pumpkin and sweet potato butters andhave wanted to make my own with less sugar. This looks great! I will have to give it a try!

Bethany October 2, 2011

I think I just died and went to heaven!

Jessica October 2, 2011

The apple butter AND pumpkin butter sound SO easy and spectacular that I am going to try them ASAP!!!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles October 2, 2011

EVERYTHING should have a chocolate version! I have a really good idea for this pumpkin butter :)

Page 1 of 212»