Herbal Green Monster

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 30, 2011

IMG_2347

I’m not going to lie, I’m about 1 kale leaf away from turning into a Green Monster.

We have a serious overgrowth issue going on in the garden.

Meet MONSTER kale…just in time for Halloween…

IMG_2361

Flashback to May 2011:

IMG_6100

Madness.

The peppers continue to grow even despite this cool and rainy weather!

IMG_2362

As well as the cucumbers and onions.

Eric likes to surprise me by picking colossal garbage bags full of kale and leaving them on the kitchen counter. “Look what I picked for you!!!”

I don’t have the heart to tell him I’m about to hurl at the sight of kale right now. All I could think about was that I had to eat all of it.

IMG_2343

“This will be great for freezing, thank you!”

I quickly stuff the bag of kale into the freezer, heaving my body weight against the door so it would shut.

The door pops open, exploding with kale. This could be an issue.

While the kale waits for me to love it again, I’ve been experimenting with some other greens in my smoothies. Greens I’m not sick of at the moment.

Like Parsley.

Much like my Cherry Basil smoothie, adding fresh parsley into my smoothie was also a fun twist! Fresh herbs are said to be detoxifying & cleansing for the body and are brimming with antioxidants, making them a great addition to any smoothie.

IMG_2342

IMG_2345

Going, going, going….gone.

IMG_2355

Even though it’s Fall outside, nothing beats starting the day with greens.

IMG_2366

Just have a hot tea on hand…

IMG_2338

I’ve been drinking herbal tea this week after finding out that the tannins in caffeinated tea could be irritating my stomach lining. I cut down my caffeinated tea to just 1 or 2 cups a day now.

After two days of withdrawal headaches, I’m now feeling really good!

Thanks for the great discussion going on in the My Journey To Naturopathy post. Very interesting to read about your experiences!

Linda September 30, 2011 at 8:57 am

Looks yummy! I need to get out and get some pears!

Erin June 2, 2014 at 7:24 am

This is so yummy! I used only banana because that’s what I had on hand and opted out for protein because mine is Vanilla flavoured and thought it might be too overpowering. Instead I added hemp seeds. Thanks!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 30, 2011 at 9:03 am

I’ve never tried parsley in my GMs, but I’m no stranger to putting a hefty amount of kale in! :) Your garden looks like it’s still going very strong! I hope your tummy is feeling better soon. I’ve found that drinking herbal teas definitely helps to keep headaches away, and now that I think about it, they seem to help digestion too moreso than caffeinated ones do. Happy Friday Ange!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy September 30, 2011 at 9:05 am

I have never thought to put herbs like parsley in a green monster! Sounds good though!

Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop September 30, 2011 at 9:16 am

Haha, that is a lot of Kale! At least your first year of gardening was officially a success! :)

Megan @ The Detoxinista September 30, 2011 at 9:25 am

I love adding parsley to my green juices, but I’ve never tried in my smoothies! Sounds like it would be refreshing!

I’m so jealous of your gardening success! I just had some cucumbers die on me… but my bell peppers seem to be surviving, at least. They must be troopers. ;)

[email protected] September 30, 2011 at 9:25 am

My husband and I have both found black tea to be irritating to our stomaches. I am addicted to decaf green right now (if you can be addicted to decaf). We only grew tomatoes this summer in our yard. I would like to try more veggies next summer. In the meantime, I have a Canadian winter to get through. Oh, I know it’s not time yet, but I can’t help thinking about it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2011 at 9:37 am

I don’t know why I didn’t think to have decaf green tea…that would be a nice addition.
It’s funny because my stomach has been SO good the past couple days. I wonder if it’s related.

DG September 30, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Does decaf green tea still have the tannins? Also the placebo effect is very powerful, particularly with IBS and other non-inflammatory GI issues.

[email protected] October 1, 2011 at 5:49 pm

That’s a good point. The green tea may still have tannins. I found varying answers on the internet. I guess you could experiment. I find the decaf green doesn’t bother me like the black. Stomach problems are tricky aren’t they…they can come from so many different things.

Beach Bum Beauty September 30, 2011 at 9:25 am

I’m starting to get a whole lotta adventurous with my food now after reading up on additive and preservatives in every day food. I tend to be unimaginative when it comes to food and get bored of eating the same things all the time so I’d be hating kale right now if I was you! Going to give this a try, just looking at it makes me feel healthy so I can’t wait to see what it does to me when I eat it!

jess @ cupcakes and kale September 30, 2011 at 9:28 am

ooooh, what i would give to have kale growing like that in my garden this year… especially since for vegan mofo i’ll be doing a month of kale and/or cupcake recipes! wanna ship a garbage bag of it up to northern ontario? ;)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 30, 2011 at 9:35 am

I’ve never had herbs in a smoothie, but parsley sounds so refreshing.

All of your kale is gorgeous!!! I’m a little jealous. Ok, a lot! :D But I’d be overwhelmed and bored, too. I think I would probably cook a BIG pot of kale, beans, garlic, onions, EVOO, etc., and freeze it. Yum!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2011 at 9:38 am

That sounds like a great idea!

Natalie S. September 30, 2011 at 9:38 am

Count your blessings — I wish my kale was growing like that! Instead, they’re just limply falling over right now. Any suggestions for growing kale? Obviously Canada weather is much different than Texas weather, so maybe I’ll just have to wait until it’s cooler. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2011 at 11:36 am

I really don’t know how it grew so much. Our weather has been all over the map this summer/fall. I think it was luck! I’ve heard from people who didn’t have success with their kale. Maybe it was the mushroom compost I put on it…

Beth September 30, 2011 at 9:47 am

I planted a fall crop of kale a few weeks ago and hope to have a lot of it so I can try this! If not there is always the store!
I have been drinking decaf green tea for years and love it, hot or iced. I only drink herbal teas, as caffeine bothers my stomach a lot.
Good luck with your journey to discover your issues!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2011 at 11:35 am

I’m trying the decaf green tea today…so far so good. First day without a headache too.

[email protected] September 30, 2011 at 9:48 am

I’ve been loving green smoothies lately! I think it’s time for a pumpkin one. Kale scares me a little, mostly because I’ve burned a couple batches of kale chips. I use spinach in my smoothies instead. I’ve totally decaffeinated my life, and it feels great!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 30, 2011 at 10:01 am

The parsley didn’t make it taste like chicken soup and arse?

Cait's Plate September 30, 2011 at 10:03 am

I’m so jealous your leaves are changing!! We don’t have a SPECK of color around here yet!!

Allison September 30, 2011 at 10:05 am

hey – I wish my garden of kale grew that well this year – mine ended up looking like your original picture! Try again next year. Green beans were my gardening friend this year!

My kids looooooooove kale chips – and it takes a lot of kale to make! i wish i had some right now.

[email protected] KatieDid September 30, 2011 at 10:08 am

Very interesting about he caffeine possibly irritating your stomach. I’m hoping you get to the bottom of the symptoms!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2011 at 11:34 am

I thought it was interesting too…and something so easy that I never would have thought of.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} September 30, 2011 at 10:09 am

I have so much fresh parsley from my CSA; I might have to try this one. I never would have thought to put it in a smoothie!

laura September 30, 2011 at 10:10 am

soup? http://food.chatelaine.com/Recipes/View/Lentil_kale_sausage-soup (I know you can figure out a fabulous substitute for the sausage!)
Kale chips? I can’t find where I read it the other day, either Chatelaine or Cdn Living, but you brush kale with olive oil and maybe sea salt and bake it in the office …

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2011 at 11:38 am

that sounds yummy! Sometimes I put crumbled veg burgers into soup.

laura September 30, 2011 at 12:12 pm

And by office, I clearly meant oven! oops!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 30, 2011 at 10:13 am

Haha I wish I had that Kale problem :)

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City September 30, 2011 at 10:16 am

Wow! You have such a green thumb! I’m so jealous of your garden :)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 30, 2011 at 10:21 am

Parsley is so good for you! I never thought of drinking it before :)

Heather Elizabeth September 30, 2011 at 10:43 am

Maybe kale chips? At the very least it will be a smaller pile of greens to throw away. haha :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2011 at 11:34 am

haha yea I love how much they shrink down!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner September 30, 2011 at 10:47 am

You know, I was thinking about green monsters the other day and told myself I need to include them in my every day diet again. Thanks for the reminder!

Kate September 30, 2011 at 11:03 am

Im so jealous of your kale ive been searching everywhere for kale plants/seeds since may and still cant find them!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2011 at 11:34 am

Did you check online? I was thinking about buying online when I was initially looking.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 30, 2011 at 11:19 am

I would gladly take some of that kale off your hands! ;)

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 30, 2011 at 11:20 am

It’s wonderful that you’re feeling better, Angela. Hope it stays that way! Happy Friday! :)

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat September 30, 2011 at 11:21 am

I was given several XL sized garbage bags of kale and was totally overwhelmed. Ate it till I was sick of it. As I was seeing green, I started to wonder: Could you juice the kale, and freeze it in ice cube trays so the cubes were ready for smoothies? Has anyone tried this? I would, but I just can’t quite come to touching another kale plant for a little while longer : )

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2011 at 11:33 am

Cool idea :)

Living, Learning, Eating September 30, 2011 at 11:27 am

Congratulations on your garden! And I have such green monster envy right now :P

mick September 30, 2011 at 11:29 am

I cannot believe this day has come! I rely on your blog so much for delicious recipes, and the day is here that I can recommend one to you! So here it is: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Wilted-Kale-and-Roasted-Potato-Winter-Salad-350884
It’s the wilted kale and roasted potato winter salad from epicurious. It. Is. Amazing. It’s easy to make, easy to veganize (sub some non-dairy cheese for the parm, or just leave it out altogether!), and it’s one of the most delicious things I’ve ever eaten. Seriously. Make this with extra kale (I always add tons more than the recipe calls for!), double it (thank me later), and eat it cold leftover. So good. Enjoy all of that kale!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2011 at 11:37 am

wow that sounds right up my alley! Thank you :) How did you know I have potatoes to use up too?

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl September 30, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Never would of thought to put parsley in a green monster! I’m thinking of making a thai green monster with cilantro, ginger, coconut and maybe cashew butter :) Hope you’re doing better!

kathleen @ the daily crumb September 30, 2011 at 12:25 pm

i love this green monster variation. as if they weren’t healthy enough, you go and add wheatgrass to it! i love it :)

Annette @ EnjoyYOURHealthyLife September 30, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I just have to beat the cold outside with a cold beverage like this! What a great variation–thanks girl :)

AGS September 30, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I had the most delicious soup yesterday for lunch that included giant white bean, tomato, carrot, and lots of kale. I guess the restaurants are getting into the seasonal mode with fall coming on. . .

Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission September 30, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I am so envious of your red peppers! I definitely need to grow those in my garden next year. I have a ton of kale in my refrigerator right now and I am looking for a new recipe! I think I AM a green monster now, from all the smoothies I’ve been drinking.

Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather September 30, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Parsley isn’t my favorite thing…. But I’d totally sub basil on here! Your garden is growing like ca-razy! That’s awesome.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh September 30, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Seems like just yesterday you planted da wee bebe kale! :-)

Alison M. September 30, 2011 at 1:32 pm

The Healthy Librarian blog had a recipe with kale the other day that I am dying to try. In fact, depending on my daughter’s sport schedule on Sunday I may make it. It was oat cakes with tomato kale gravy. Sounds weird but looks awesome! My boss made it and really enjoyed it. Here’s the link. http://www.happyhealthylonglife.com/happy_healthy_long_life/2011/09/oat-cakes.html

Moni'sMeals September 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I need one of these NOW! I think this sounds and looks just soooooo refreshing! I like the ingredients just as they are too. :)

That FALL pic melts me! Thank you, I do not see that so much out here in LA. :)

Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life September 30, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Ok now I’m craving a GM. :)

[email protected] September 30, 2011 at 1:45 pm

wowww that’s so much kale! LOL you should have a kale giveaway!! :D And share the love. So great you’re doing better! Have a blessed day seniorita.

LizAshlee September 30, 2011 at 1:48 pm

What a great combination..I love green monsters..probably have 1 tonight for dinner with some Friday night treats! :)

Happy Friday!:)

Erin September 30, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Angela, where do you get your herbamare? is it available at bulk barn?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Costco :)

Not sure about BB…

Jessica September 30, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Send the Kale my way! I would LOVE to have some fresh greens in my plate! :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes September 30, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I love kale in a green monster…yum!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 30, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I give you major props for sucking down 1 c of parsley! You go girl!

And it feels like just yesterday that it was May and I remember your gardening post so well! Wow, what a crazy few months it’s been for me as I think back to May and I’m sure for you, too. Time just flies!

Good for you for reducing your caffeinated tea consumption if you think the tannins are to blame…you’re a better woman than me. I seriously need my caffeine :)

Karine September 30, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I wish I could try kale once in my life! Hard to believe, I know, but I couldn’t find any kale here in Switzerland. :'( Please send me your leftover kale! ;)

Gina September 30, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I’m so going to try this! I always end up throwing away half of a bunch of parsley when I buy it for a recipe so this will be a nice way to not be wasteful!

Shaun @ snackasaurusrex September 30, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Kale has been on my to-try list now for while. I heard in a Weight Watcher meeting that kale chips are awesome!

Brandy September 30, 2011 at 6:02 pm

So I’ll have to try THIS green monster too, but my comment is about your pumpkin pie smoothie… I just made it….. I died. SO GOOD! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 1, 2011 at 7:45 am

Glad you like it! I ‘m making one today :)

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 30, 2011 at 6:11 pm

In looks beautiful in Canada! I really miss living up North b/c I loved seeing the leaves change color. Oh well, I’ll live vicariously through you! :-)

Magda September 30, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I didn’t know you could freeze kale. Or maybe never thought about it. Does it get mushy like spinach or is the texture more or less similar after defrosting. BTW, I’m having a b-day party tomorrow and I’m going to feed 10 people with your recipes :) I’m on a mission to convince my family that vegans don’t live on lettuce and sprouts alone ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 1, 2011 at 7:46 am

I don’t think it gets mushy, but I don’t tend to defrost it (I use it straight from the freezer into Green Monsters)

Aja September 30, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I still have to try a green monster. They sound so good.

Kiah September 30, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Kale in your garden? I’m so jealous. I recently “discovered” kale, and am currently obsessed. I’m pretty sure I’ll make myself sick of it in the next year. Or two.

Kris | iheartwellness.com September 30, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Awwww, you GM looks so tasty and sooo healthy!!

I just read over your naturopath appointment post and I laughed out loud. I haven’t seen a GP in YEARS…I only go to ND’s if needed :) My body always tells me whats wrong ;) LOL

xxoo

Katrina September 30, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Health in a glass! Love it.

Cherie September 30, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Well, while I can understand your kale overload, I am a bit jealous since there is none in our garden.

Nicholle October 1, 2011 at 12:04 am

I haven’t been able to get through all of my greens lately, I eat a ton and put them in my green monsters, but still have some spoil. A friend of mine told me that she blends her greens up with a little bit of water and puts them in some ice cube trays. Her greens are ready for when she makes for her green monsters.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 1, 2011 at 7:46 am

Great idea :)

Aleisha October 1, 2011 at 12:36 am

Your photo inspired me to make a green monster this morning before a marathon day of work and helping a friend get ready for her wedding. I could feel all that green goodness powering me though the day!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 1, 2011 at 7:46 am

woot!! you go girl :)

Angela @ MyPinkyToes October 1, 2011 at 2:58 am

This may come as a strange question at this time…but what was the first step you made to healthier eating. I have tried green monsters and actually do love them…but I still have a hard time eating healthy. I find that “healthy” foods are hard to come by and confusing to cook with…how can I get from here to there?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 1, 2011 at 7:48 am

For me it was tiny baby steps at a time that eventually added up into a big change. I try to take things 1 day at a time or 1 meal at a time. This was especially helpful when I beat binge eating. I tried to be careful not to overwhelm myself. I think this is a good approach when facing a big change.
You can read about my journey in my road to health series found on this page: http://ohsheglows.com/hot/

Goodluck!

Virginia R. Degner October 2, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Hi Angela,
Can’t wait to try your Green Monster! Thank you for your suggestion of baby steps and one day at a time regarding changing my lifestyle and eating habits. I’ve been a member of Sparks.com
for two weeks or so and I’m very impressed with the site and the encouragement I am getting.
I’m a writer on a book signing tour for my new women’s romance/suspense Without Consent and I find I’m eating out frequently. Now by planning on the food tracker before I start my day I am able to follow my program much better. I’ve taken off two pounds while on this tour of driving to six states.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 3, 2011 at 9:25 am

Congrats Virginia! Eating on the road can be really challenging to maintain one’s weight let alone lose weight. Goodluck with everything!

Hannah October 1, 2011 at 4:42 am

Oh, I’m trying to be sympathetic but I can’t! I can almost NEVER find kale in Canberra, and the one time I did, it cost $5 for a tiny, tiny bunch. So thank you for the alternate smoothie, though my inability to eat kale is for entirely different reasons to yours!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! October 1, 2011 at 6:22 am

You are brave! Kale is crazy enough in green monsters but herbs too!! LOL!

Michaela October 1, 2011 at 7:38 am

yum!
I really can´t believe how addictive caffeine is… so glad I am not doing caffeine. Herbal tea is wayyyyyy better, anyways :)

Alyssa October 1, 2011 at 8:19 am

Could you include kale leaves in soup…or do you they’d be too bitter? That might be a delicious recipe…just sayin :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011 at 8:07 am

Yes kale in soup is really good! I hope to make some this week :)

tweal October 1, 2011 at 10:55 am

I love using herbs in green smoothies. My fav combo is mint, cucumber, and blueberry, though it’s more of a warm weather thing. Cilantro and pineapple is really nice too.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011 at 8:08 am

That does sound really good :)

J @ Ess and Jae V2.0 October 1, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Don’t’ we love autumn in Ontario and green monsters? :-) Love the new banner, by the way. It’s gorgeous!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011 at 8:10 am

Thanks :)

Kayla [once upon a lens] October 1, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Feel free to send the extra kale my way. :) I’d love some home grown kale, I have never even tried it before!

layla October 1, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I don’t know if you have mentioned this before but have you ever considered making a cookbook? You are my favorite blog and inspire me to eat healthy by your creative recipes and beautiful photography. You show just how fun and delicious healthy eating can be. seriously you need to make a cookbook!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011 at 8:10 am

Thank you Layla! I do plan on writing cookbooks (I’m working on my proposal right now actually!)

Alex @ Raw Recovery October 1, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I’m not adventurous enough to put kale in my smoothies, but an herbal green monster does sound quite interesting. I know that you did a prep-ahead lunch series, but I was wondering if you could do a 30 minute meals series? I’m sure you haven’t seen my blog but I just got a job and and now I’ll be living on my own, without much time to spend cooking and I’d love some quick, easy, healthy recipes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011 at 8:08 am

Thanks for the suggestion Alex!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 2, 2011 at 2:13 am

I love kale in smoothies! Italy is amazing, but I do miss smoothies. I keep threatening to not to home… my mom would have to ship my Magic Bullet. :)

Vanessa October 2, 2011 at 3:11 am

Oh man. I HAVE to try this. <3 Well done Angela. =)

Lisa Broadley October 2, 2011 at 7:25 am

CONGRATULATIONS!!! just found out you got the GOLD for your Mushroom Walnut Pesto Tart! I haven’t made it yet, but I will soon.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011 at 8:08 am

Really? I hadn’t heard, that’s great. Thank you for your support!

Lauren Helen October 2, 2011 at 9:42 am

I just found out about your Green Monster and am SO excited to tell my dad about it and to try it out! My dad is really not supportive of the lifestyle that I am trying to transition to (Since I was 10 I’ve been slowly transitioning towards veganism to avoid letting my dad realize what I’m doing, and am now 17 and getting closer having finally made the jump to vegetarian!), and I think if I show him this concoction and let him see a different it makes in me (a different I’m hoping to see, at least, based on all of the raving reviews Green Monster recipes have gotten) he might start to see that I can do this and that it really can be good for my health!

Thank you for all of your wonderful recipes and for sharing so much about how you maintain your vegan diet. You’re inspirational :)

x
culinarilychallenged.blogspot.com

Marijke October 2, 2011 at 11:19 am

I’ve never thought about putting herbs in a Green Monster before- what a great idea! Will also add a nice punch of flavour!

Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn October 2, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Hey Angela sorry sorry sorry I haven’t commented in a while, I’ve been so busy with uni but I’m still here reading, and I still love your writing and your photos are as gorgeous as always :-)
I just had to comment to say that I had my first ever green monster today!
I’ve been meaning to for ages and I finally have :-) Thanks for the inspiration!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Hey Sophie! I hope your uni studies are going well. No need to apologize!
Glad you tried the GM’s :)

Samantha October 3, 2011 at 1:58 am

Wow I never thought about adding fresh Basil or Parsley. Wow what a wide world there is out there. SO trying this tomorrow morning for Breakfast!

Meagan October 3, 2011 at 11:55 am

Freezing greens like spinach, kale and chard works great when you have lots and plan to use it in smoothies… The nutrition of these leafy greens will hold for about 30 days in the freezer after that it’s starts to held south! ;) I also just use it frozen in smoothies – no need to defrost! Yum!

Alexia @ NamasteYoga October 3, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I always have parsley in the fridge but never thought of using it in my green monster. I need to try it though! Do you think it would still taste nice if I also mix mint or basil in it or will it mix the flavours up too much?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 3, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Hmm I’m really not sure how it would taste with both. Maybe just use a tiny bit of each and add other greens like spinach?

[email protected] October 5, 2011 at 10:18 am

So far, I have been sticking with the fruit smoothies, supplemented with some Vega Smoothie Infusion. I just put my pre-gym smoothie recipe on my blog. But, I would like to get into some more green smoothies…did you find it hard to transition away from sweet?

Katya @ Fancy Dragon Tea October 7, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Wow. Great idea. Thanks, Angela. I love your blog but have never commented on it before. If thou I made tons of recipes from it :) It happened to be that I am on 21 day raw cleanse inspired by Crazy Sexy Life by Cris Karr and this smoothie would be a great one to try. Like many people here, I’ve never thought of adding herbs to my drinks before. It will be interesting.
One more commnet – what kind of tea do you drink that it irritates your stomack? Have you tried some Japanese green teas, like kukicha, genmaicha, and hojicha? They tend to be lower in coffein due to the way they are processed. Just a suggestion :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 8, 2011 at 8:37 am

I was drinking jap. sencha allll day long. Oddly enough my stomach feels better on herbal tea

noni October 11, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Hi

I’m a noob at this, and have only a blender, not a juicer but would love to have beets in there somehow. Have you tried that and what would you suggest I do? Or should I just make Borscht. … .

Margaret April 22, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I was skeptical about parsley in a smoothie but I had a bunch leftover and tried it…it is indeed amazing! i did parsley, frozen strawberries and pear and its really refreshing! A great way to use up those extra herbs. I’ve done a basil, cucumber, and apple smoothie that was interesting, in a good way. :)

Michele July 24, 2013 at 7:14 am

I must admit I was a little skeptical about this one, but it is fantastic!

Melissa October 10, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Try adding a little cilantro as well – I make the same shake you mention, but I add an apple (skin removed) , no chia seeds or wheatgrass powder but everything else. The cilantro flavor is light and delicious.