Behind The Scenes: Take 2

IMG 1133 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

It’s time for another round of behind the scenes! For part 1, see this post.

Once again, I’m showcasing all of the flops, disasters, forgotten, and so-so recipes I’ve made since July. Only the best recipes get posted on the blog, but I think it’s fun to give you a sneak peek of what didn’t make the cut!

And show you some of the flops that I had to eat until I was blue in the face. I’m telling you I don’t want to see a sweet potato or spaghetti squash for a very long time…

Speaking of squash, I made a sweet cinnamon & Sucanat flavoured spaghetti squash.

IMG 0159 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

I thought I was going to LOVE this change up from the usual savoury squash. It tasted good and all, but something was off and I got sick of it real fast. Butternut or acorn squash and a lightly sweet topping works, but somehow it just didn’t work with spaghetti squash…

IMG 0172 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

Sure was pretty, though!

IMG 0191 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

I’m guessing this was a brownie flop?

IMG 0214 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

I really don’t remember! This was the only picture on my camera…no finished product. Suspicious…

I tried to replicate my Project Food Blog S’more in a jar, yet again.

IMG 0831 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

Still didn’t turn out how I remembered it! I lost the recipe and haven’t been able to replicate it since last Fall.

IMG 0860 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

IMG 0927 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

Homemade Vanilla Bean almond milk!

It tasted pretty decent, but I didn’t find that it was much cheaper than buying it from the store. And the leftover almond pulp just stressed me out…

IMG 0958 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

I made a navy bean based pasta sauce that was a huge flop.

IMG 0981 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

Ok, it wasn’t that bad, but it was just bland no matter what spices and seasonings I added to it.

Navy beans are tricky to get right…

IMG 0983 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

I tried an all natural, oil-free, and no sugar added granola bar recipe that I found on Pinterest, but I wasn’t a fan…It was pretty mushy and tasteless.

IMG 0986 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

I made a gorgeous two-tier carrot cake…until it crumbled!

IMG 1109 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

But love is all you need, clearly.

IMG 1112 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

They are holding hands, right? bahah

I made a peach and cilantro pesto.

IMG 1123 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

The pesto tasted great, but once on pasta it just tasted bland and boring.

IMG 1219 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

Watermelon smoothies!

Just watermelon, ice, and almond milk.

IMG 1227 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

Crock Pot Blueberry Pie steel-cut oatmeal.

IMG 1245 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

I didn’t post this because I prefer the make-ahead steel cut oatmeal. Mainly because I really don’t like cleaning the crock pot! The oats just get all stuck on (even when I grease it) and it’s not a fun cleaning job. Or maybe I don’t know the trick?

I made s’more granola bars, based off my chocolate chunk toffee bars. I didn’t like them more than the original recipe, so I figured there was no point in posting. The toffee bars are the best! So far…

IMG 1272 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

I made nut-butter crusted potato chips, but they didn’t turn out.

IMG 1335 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

Stick with the nut butter parsnip fries, for sure.

I made that cinnamon sweet potato coconut soup that I told you about…

IMG 1474 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

Nothing to write home about.

IMG 1496 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

I also tried this magic trick for instant oatmeal. You pour boiling water over the oats and leave it in the jar for 15 mins. Sadly, it didn’t work for me after 4-5 trials using different amounts of oats.

IMG 0350 thumb1   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

Update: I did hear from a couple of you that you need to fill the oats half way up the jar. I tried this a couple times, but maybe I should give it another shot!

IMG 0352 thumb1   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

I made a vanilla cake batter smoothie. I prefer the chocolate one!

IMG 1476 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

I roasted cherry tomatoes…

IMG 1514 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

and made a roasted cherry & lentil wrap. The dressing I made for it was a bit off, so I didn’t post it.

IMG 1535 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

Click “continue” for the other half of the post…lots more pictures to come!

Eric likes taking pictures of the moon…lol.

IMG 1569 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

I bought a new kind of wheatgrass powder from Whole Foods.

IMG 1588 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

These espresso beans are addicting, but a bit hard on my stomach!

IMG 1602 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

I made ANOTHER sweet potato soup. I’m stubborn.

IMG 1613 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

Second time is not a charm.

IMG 1619 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

I made crispy pan-fried tofu which tasted pretty good, but I was reminded why I don’t eat soy. (I get stomach pains from soy)

IMG 1648 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

Really good Cinnamon Bun oatmeal…lost but not forgotten.

IMG 1672 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

I made roasted red pepper pasta sauce. I had such high hopes for this!

IMG 1843 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

I wasn’t sold on it. It just wasn’t thick and creamy like I wanted it to be.

IMG 1853 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

IMG 1865 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

So I made another.

IMG 1866 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

Close but no cigar.

IMG 1875 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

I made Carrot Cake Granola Bars.

IMG 1882 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

Eric said, “It’s a crime against humanity that you didn’t post this recipe.”

I think he liked them. ;) I loved these as well, but will need to work on the recipe a bit more.

IMG 1917 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

I made Peach oats.

IMG 1953 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

A bit tart.

I made tropical coconut milk pineapple oatmeal. It was quite good!

IMG 1960 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

Pumpkin Butter Swirl Oats….also very good.

IMG 1966 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

I shot my new Fall header on a coffee table in the back yard!

IMG 2273 thumb   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

And things got a bit crazy, as usual.

IMG 1133 thumb1   Behind The Scenes: Take 2

So that’s what you haven’t seen since July! Time sure flies.

Any surprises in this post? Any crimes against humanity?

Kelly September 28, 2011

WOW! Everything looks amazing!! :)

Rebekah @ Medicine, Munchies & Movement September 28, 2011

I love this behind the scenes post! Of course it would be awesome if meals turned out perfectly 100% of the time but we learn from our experience…and they can provide good laughs for later :). Hope you find that smores in a jar recipe soon!

JenATX September 28, 2011

WOW you sure are a busy bee testing out all these recipes in addition to the ones that make it onto the blog… i admire your creativity and determination :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 28, 2011

Hhahah I love these Ange! It’s nice to know that even pros like you have plenty of flops! I posted a roasted red pepper based sauce today that could be used on pasta I think – I poured it all over baked chicken but I’m going to try it with some noodles in the next couple of days. PS – I’ll be looking forward to that carrot cake bar recipe. You know what I’m like with carrots. ;)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate September 28, 2011

Wow– it’s crazy how many meals don’t make the blog– although I have to say, I think some of your “flops” look like real winners!!!

Mimi September 28, 2011

The trick with crock pot oats is to put them in a water bath. I do one cup of oats in a pyrex dish inside my crock pot and then put enough water to cover the dish half way up the side. It works beautifully. You can add toppings in the water as well, except for nuts and stuff like that that you don’t want to be mushy.

Ericka Andersen September 28, 2011

Well you may call these flops but I found some good ideas in there…particularly the cinnamon bun oatmeal and pumpkin swirl oats! It’s nice to know it takes a lot of trial and error to get the good stuff :)

Cait's Plate September 28, 2011

Good or bad, I would happily eat ANY of these! Especially those s’mores granola bars!!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) September 28, 2011

i agree with eric… you realllly need to post that recipe :)

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove September 28, 2011

I love that you’re always working! Plus, it’s nice knowing that everyone has flops in the kitchen. I burnt butter once – I didn’t even know that was possible!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

haha I didn’t either. I’ve heard of browned butter though ;)

Bethany September 28, 2011

I love these behind the scenes posts! It’s so assuring and fun to see that your favorite food blogger is also human! :0) My biggest continuous flop is never remembering how quickly lentils will boil over and leave a nasty smell hanging in the air.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

I do that alllll the time

Vicky Taylor September 28, 2011

Wowza! Thanks for the recipes that you do post – the ones I have made have turned out great – now I can see why! You only post the recipes that meet your high standard! Thanks Angela.

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 28, 2011

I enjoyed this post Angela—it takes a lot to share your flops, haha! Makes me feel better about all of mine though! :)

Anne September 28, 2011

Love seeing that I’m not the only one who screws up recipes sometimes! Even though your food may not taste great, your pictures are still gorgeous! Love the new header, btw!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

Thanks Anne :)

Kate September 28, 2011

cinnamon bun oats sound incredible!

VeggieGirl September 28, 2011

I probably would have posted all of those just because I would have been proud of my ingenuity ;) No, thank you for not posting because I do the same thing- sometimes a recipe just isnt worth other people following if its not quite right!!

PS- I made vegan sweet potato biscuits with chilli and I am SOOO proud of myself, def. going to post that one! I used olive oil as my replacement for butter in the recipe- is there a better alternative when baking vegan?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

Earth Balance is a good butter replacer.

Sweet potato biscuits could def. convince me to eat them again!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com September 28, 2011

I feel so much better that you have as many flops as successes! :D

That pan-fried tofu looks amazeballs! I have such a hard time getting a good sear on my tofu…any tips?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

I find using 1-2 tbsp oil is key for a good sear…and cooking until browned.

I tried the cornstarch trick but I didnt find it made a difference.

Maya September 28, 2011

Even your flops look delicious :) And your photos are so great!

kathleen @ the daily crumb September 28, 2011

oh, angels, your kitchen flops would be my kitchen successes in a heartbeat!! those s’more brownies look fab.

Courtney September 28, 2011

Processed navy beans with diced tomatoes and spinach. Add some Italian type seasonings :) awesome pasta sauce!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

ahhh I knew I should have added tomatoes! Great idea

Anna September 28, 2011

Thought of you a while back when I saw this recipe for nut-pulp hummus: http://mynewroots.blogspot.com/2011/08/waste-not-want-not-raw-nut-pulp-hummus.html

I’ve not tried it, but everything else of hers that I’ve tried has been super delish. And really, what’s not to love about hummus?!

Noelle (@singerinkitchen) September 28, 2011

The pics look great but I know what you mean. If it don;t taste right why post?

Becca September 28, 2011

Please post the carrot cake granola bar recipe (I haven’t tasted them, but I’d likely agree with Eric, so please do share!).

Also, the PB swirl oats and the tropical oats recipes look lovely. Could you do another oatmeal recipe round-up and include these ones… pretty please?

Blythe September 28, 2011

The pan fried tofu looks amazing!! Will you be posting the recipe for this?

Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab September 28, 2011

wow, you sure do experiment a lot! I love the roasted red pepper sauce, I’ll have to experiment on that one myself!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh September 28, 2011

I love seeing that everything doesn’t magically pop out of the oven or pan picture perfect whilst cartoon bluebirds flitter around your kitchen. Makes it feel like there’s a little hope for the rest of us! ;)

Jill September 28, 2011

I’ve been eating zucchini in my oatmeal since I saw this on your blog a while back and have been really enjoying it. This morning, however, I branched out and added roasted delicata squash to it instead. Yum! The roasted delicata is really sweet and soft and went perfectly with oatmeal (and some cinnamon and maple syrup). Love your blog. thanks!

Julie (A Case of the Runs) September 28, 2011

Ha ha… I loved seeing all of these “out-takes!” Definitely shows us the life of a food blogger and all the work that gets put into it.

Moni'sMeals September 28, 2011

I loved this Ang,

Some great recipes and IDEAS, whoa!

Haha, it makes me feel so much better when a recipe of mine flops, drops, sucks, or looks/taste awful! Thanks. :)

OUR Passions keeps us going, eh!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. September 28, 2011

LOVE all the photos and now I am HUNGRY!

Keri @ Blue-Eyed Runner September 28, 2011

Thanks for sharing, Angela! Its nice to see how hard you work to make your blog so great. It inspires me to work harder on my own :)

Ashley September 28, 2011

I love seeing the behind the scenes photos! :) I hope you post the recipe for those carrot cake granola bars. Having leftover almond pulp would stress me out too.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 28, 2011

Haha I loved all these random posts! Everything looks great, even though some didn’t turn out. I get stomach pains from soy too….

Melissa September 28, 2011

I so much appreciate that you never post any recipes that aren’t 100% winners. I love knowing that any recipe I make from your blog is going to be delicious!

lindsay September 28, 2011

goodness! you’ve been busy! and i must say, they all look good to me. I bet they were. I love the nut butter potato chip idea. What if you used peanut flour crusted on them instead?

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 28, 2011

how did you make the pan fried tofu?!?!? that looks so good!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

Just sliced the tofu thin and fried it in 1-2 tbsp olive oil until browned on both sides.

Kelley Forbes September 28, 2011

We appreciate all your hard work in preparing recipes to share.
Thank you for the reminder!

Sydney September 28, 2011

I think those carrot cake granola bars need to be posted..asap! My stomach growled!

Lindsey September 28, 2011

oh this makes me feel better…I’m still recovering from my unexpected loss of a Pumpkin Upside down cake, almond toffee, and a lemon cake…all in the same weekend… very tragic. However my second lemon cake survived. It feels better knowing that even the best cooks and bakers have bad days…or weekends.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

Sometimes I literally have 4-5 flops in a row. Its the most frustrating thing in the world! Those cake flops sound heart breaking…I find cake flops hard to take! lol.

Gia Marie September 28, 2011

try making the roasted red pepper sauce as a garlic alfredo with roasted red peppers blended with it. its to DIE FOR! If I wasn’t watching my figure :) i probably would have ate the whole 16oz and my weight in angel hair pasta lol.

Page 1 of 3123»