Behind The Scenes: Take 2

IMG_1133

It’s time for another round of behind the scenes! For part 1, see this post.

Once again, I’m showcasing all of the flops, disasters, forgotten, and so-so recipes I’ve made since July. Only the best recipes get posted on the blog, but I think it’s fun to give you a sneak peek of what didn’t make the cut!

And show you some of the flops that I had to eat until I was blue in the face. I’m telling you I don’t want to see a sweet potato or spaghetti squash for a very long time…

Speaking of squash, I made a sweet cinnamon & Sucanat flavoured spaghetti squash.

IMG_0159

I thought I was going to LOVE this change up from the usual savoury squash. It tasted good and all, but something was off and I got sick of it real fast. Butternut or acorn squash and a lightly sweet topping works, but somehow it just didn’t work with spaghetti squash…

IMG_0172

Sure was pretty, though!

IMG_0191

I’m guessing this was a brownie flop?

IMG_0214

I really don’t remember! This was the only picture on my camera…no finished product. Suspicious…

I tried to replicate my Project Food Blog S’more in a jar, yet again.

IMG_0831

Still didn’t turn out how I remembered it! I lost the recipe and haven’t been able to replicate it since last Fall.

IMG_0860

IMG_0927

Homemade Vanilla Bean almond milk!

It tasted pretty decent, but I didn’t find that it was much cheaper than buying it from the store. And the leftover almond pulp just stressed me out…

IMG_0958

I made a navy bean based pasta sauce that was a huge flop.

IMG_0981

Ok, it wasn’t that bad, but it was just bland no matter what spices and seasonings I added to it.

Navy beans are tricky to get right…

IMG_0983

I tried an all natural, oil-free, and no sugar added granola bar recipe that I found on Pinterest, but I wasn’t a fan…It was pretty mushy and tasteless.

IMG_0986

I made a gorgeous two-tier carrot cake…until it crumbled!

IMG_1109

But love is all you need, clearly.

IMG_1112

They are holding hands, right? bahah

I made a peach and cilantro pesto.

IMG_1123

The pesto tasted great, but once on pasta it just tasted bland and boring.

IMG_1219

Watermelon smoothies!

Just watermelon, ice, and almond milk.

IMG_1227

Crock Pot Blueberry Pie steel-cut oatmeal.

IMG_1245

I didn’t post this because I prefer the make-ahead steel cut oatmeal. Mainly because I really don’t like cleaning the crock pot! The oats just get all stuck on (even when I grease it) and it’s not a fun cleaning job. Or maybe I don’t know the trick?

I made s’more granola bars, based off my chocolate chunk toffee bars. I didn’t like them more than the original recipe, so I figured there was no point in posting. The toffee bars are the best! So far…

IMG_1272

I made nut-butter crusted potato chips, but they didn’t turn out.

IMG_1335

Stick with the nut butter parsnip fries, for sure.

I made that cinnamon sweet potato coconut soup that I told you about…

IMG_1474

Nothing to write home about.

IMG_1496

I also tried this magic trick for instant oatmeal. You pour boiling water over the oats and leave it in the jar for 15 mins. Sadly, it didn’t work for me after 4-5 trials using different amounts of oats.

IMG_0350

Update: I did hear from a couple of you that you need to fill the oats half way up the jar. I tried this a couple times, but maybe I should give it another shot!

IMG_0352

I made a vanilla cake batter smoothie. I prefer the chocolate one!

IMG_1476

I roasted cherry tomatoes…

IMG_1514

and made a roasted cherry & lentil wrap. The dressing I made for it was a bit off, so I didn’t post it.

IMG_1535

Click “continue” for the other half of the post…lots more pictures to come!

Eric likes taking pictures of the moon…lol.

IMG_1569

I bought a new kind of wheatgrass powder from Whole Foods.

IMG_1588

These espresso beans are addicting, but a bit hard on my stomach!

IMG_1602

I made ANOTHER sweet potato soup. I’m stubborn.

IMG_1613

Second time is not a charm.

IMG_1619

I made crispy pan-fried tofu which tasted pretty good, but I was reminded why I don’t eat soy. (I get stomach pains from soy)

IMG_1648

Really good Cinnamon Bun oatmeal…lost but not forgotten.

IMG_1672

I made roasted red pepper pasta sauce. I had such high hopes for this!

IMG_1843

I wasn’t sold on it. It just wasn’t thick and creamy like I wanted it to be.

IMG_1853

IMG_1865

So I made another.

IMG_1866

Close but no cigar.

IMG_1875

I made Carrot Cake Granola Bars.

IMG_1882

Eric said, “It’s a crime against humanity that you didn’t post this recipe.”

I think he liked them. ;) I loved these as well, but will need to work on the recipe a bit more.

IMG_1917

I made Peach oats.

IMG_1953

A bit tart.

I made tropical coconut milk pineapple oatmeal. It was quite good!

IMG_1960

Pumpkin Butter Swirl Oats….also very good.

IMG_1966

I shot my new Fall header on a coffee table in the back yard!

IMG_2273

And things got a bit crazy, as usual.

IMG_1133

So that’s what you haven’t seen since July! Time sure flies.

Any surprises in this post? Any crimes against humanity?

1 Kelly September 28, 2011

WOW! Everything looks amazing!! :)

2 Rebekah @ Medicine, Munchies & Movement September 28, 2011

I love this behind the scenes post! Of course it would be awesome if meals turned out perfectly 100% of the time but we learn from our experience…and they can provide good laughs for later :). Hope you find that smores in a jar recipe soon!

3 JenATX September 28, 2011

WOW you sure are a busy bee testing out all these recipes in addition to the ones that make it onto the blog… i admire your creativity and determination :)

4 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 28, 2011

Hhahah I love these Ange! It’s nice to know that even pros like you have plenty of flops! I posted a roasted red pepper based sauce today that could be used on pasta I think – I poured it all over baked chicken but I’m going to try it with some noodles in the next couple of days. PS – I’ll be looking forward to that carrot cake bar recipe. You know what I’m like with carrots. ;)

5 Anna @ On Anna's Plate September 28, 2011

Wow– it’s crazy how many meals don’t make the blog– although I have to say, I think some of your “flops” look like real winners!!!

6 Mimi September 28, 2011

The trick with crock pot oats is to put them in a water bath. I do one cup of oats in a pyrex dish inside my crock pot and then put enough water to cover the dish half way up the side. It works beautifully. You can add toppings in the water as well, except for nuts and stuff like that that you don’t want to be mushy.

7 Ericka Andersen September 28, 2011

Well you may call these flops but I found some good ideas in there…particularly the cinnamon bun oatmeal and pumpkin swirl oats! It’s nice to know it takes a lot of trial and error to get the good stuff :)

8 Cait's Plate September 28, 2011

Good or bad, I would happily eat ANY of these! Especially those s’mores granola bars!!

9 Felicia (Natural + Balanced) September 28, 2011

i agree with eric… you realllly need to post that recipe :)

10 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove September 28, 2011

I love that you’re always working! Plus, it’s nice knowing that everyone has flops in the kitchen. I burnt butter once – I didn’t even know that was possible!

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

haha I didn’t either. I’ve heard of browned butter though ;)

12 Bethany September 28, 2011

I love these behind the scenes posts! It’s so assuring and fun to see that your favorite food blogger is also human! :0) My biggest continuous flop is never remembering how quickly lentils will boil over and leave a nasty smell hanging in the air.

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

I do that alllll the time

14 Vicky Taylor September 28, 2011

Wowza! Thanks for the recipes that you do post – the ones I have made have turned out great – now I can see why! You only post the recipes that meet your high standard! Thanks Angela.

15 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 28, 2011

I enjoyed this post Angela—it takes a lot to share your flops, haha! Makes me feel better about all of mine though! :)

16 Anne September 28, 2011

Love seeing that I’m not the only one who screws up recipes sometimes! Even though your food may not taste great, your pictures are still gorgeous! Love the new header, btw!

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

Thanks Anne :)

18 Kate September 28, 2011

cinnamon bun oats sound incredible!

19 VeggieGirl September 28, 2011

I probably would have posted all of those just because I would have been proud of my ingenuity ;) No, thank you for not posting because I do the same thing- sometimes a recipe just isnt worth other people following if its not quite right!!

PS- I made vegan sweet potato biscuits with chilli and I am SOOO proud of myself, def. going to post that one! I used olive oil as my replacement for butter in the recipe- is there a better alternative when baking vegan?

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

Earth Balance is a good butter replacer.

Sweet potato biscuits could def. convince me to eat them again!

21 Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com September 28, 2011

I feel so much better that you have as many flops as successes! :D

That pan-fried tofu looks amazeballs! I have such a hard time getting a good sear on my tofu…any tips?

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

I find using 1-2 tbsp oil is key for a good sear…and cooking until browned.

I tried the cornstarch trick but I didnt find it made a difference.

23 Maya September 28, 2011

Even your flops look delicious :) And your photos are so great!

24 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 28, 2011

oh, angels, your kitchen flops would be my kitchen successes in a heartbeat!! those s’more brownies look fab.

25 Courtney September 28, 2011

Processed navy beans with diced tomatoes and spinach. Add some Italian type seasonings :) awesome pasta sauce!

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

ahhh I knew I should have added tomatoes! Great idea

27 Anna September 28, 2011

Thought of you a while back when I saw this recipe for nut-pulp hummus: http://mynewroots.blogspot.com/2011/08/waste-not-want-not-raw-nut-pulp-hummus.html

I’ve not tried it, but everything else of hers that I’ve tried has been super delish. And really, what’s not to love about hummus?!

28 Noelle (@singerinkitchen) September 28, 2011

The pics look great but I know what you mean. If it don;t taste right why post?

29 Becca September 28, 2011

Please post the carrot cake granola bar recipe (I haven’t tasted them, but I’d likely agree with Eric, so please do share!).

Also, the PB swirl oats and the tropical oats recipes look lovely. Could you do another oatmeal recipe round-up and include these ones… pretty please?

30 Blythe September 28, 2011

The pan fried tofu looks amazing!! Will you be posting the recipe for this?

31 Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab September 28, 2011

wow, you sure do experiment a lot! I love the roasted red pepper sauce, I’ll have to experiment on that one myself!

32 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh September 28, 2011

I love seeing that everything doesn’t magically pop out of the oven or pan picture perfect whilst cartoon bluebirds flitter around your kitchen. Makes it feel like there’s a little hope for the rest of us! ;)

33 Jill September 28, 2011

I’ve been eating zucchini in my oatmeal since I saw this on your blog a while back and have been really enjoying it. This morning, however, I branched out and added roasted delicata squash to it instead. Yum! The roasted delicata is really sweet and soft and went perfectly with oatmeal (and some cinnamon and maple syrup). Love your blog. thanks!

34 Julie (A Case of the Runs) September 28, 2011

Ha ha… I loved seeing all of these “out-takes!” Definitely shows us the life of a food blogger and all the work that gets put into it.

35 Moni'sMeals September 28, 2011

I loved this Ang,

Some great recipes and IDEAS, whoa!

Haha, it makes me feel so much better when a recipe of mine flops, drops, sucks, or looks/taste awful! Thanks. :)

OUR Passions keeps us going, eh!

36 Get Skinny, Go Vegan. September 28, 2011

LOVE all the photos and now I am HUNGRY!

37 Keri @ Blue-Eyed Runner September 28, 2011

Thanks for sharing, Angela! Its nice to see how hard you work to make your blog so great. It inspires me to work harder on my own :)

38 Ashley September 28, 2011

I love seeing the behind the scenes photos! :) I hope you post the recipe for those carrot cake granola bars. Having leftover almond pulp would stress me out too.

39 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 28, 2011

Haha I loved all these random posts! Everything looks great, even though some didn’t turn out. I get stomach pains from soy too….

40 Melissa September 28, 2011

I so much appreciate that you never post any recipes that aren’t 100% winners. I love knowing that any recipe I make from your blog is going to be delicious!

41 lindsay September 28, 2011

goodness! you’ve been busy! and i must say, they all look good to me. I bet they were. I love the nut butter potato chip idea. What if you used peanut flour crusted on them instead?

42 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 28, 2011

how did you make the pan fried tofu?!?!? that looks so good!

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

Just sliced the tofu thin and fried it in 1-2 tbsp olive oil until browned on both sides.

44 Kelley Forbes September 28, 2011

We appreciate all your hard work in preparing recipes to share.
Thank you for the reminder!

45 Sydney September 28, 2011

I think those carrot cake granola bars need to be posted..asap! My stomach growled!

46 Lindsey September 28, 2011

oh this makes me feel better…I’m still recovering from my unexpected loss of a Pumpkin Upside down cake, almond toffee, and a lemon cake…all in the same weekend… very tragic. However my second lemon cake survived. It feels better knowing that even the best cooks and bakers have bad days…or weekends.

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

Sometimes I literally have 4-5 flops in a row. Its the most frustrating thing in the world! Those cake flops sound heart breaking…I find cake flops hard to take! lol.

48 Gia Marie September 28, 2011

try making the roasted red pepper sauce as a garlic alfredo with roasted red peppers blended with it. its to DIE FOR! If I wasn’t watching my figure :) i probably would have ate the whole 16oz and my weight in angel hair pasta lol.

49 Paula September 28, 2011

Oh Angela, I loved this post! You are such a dearheart.

My favorite parts were the randoms you snuck in:
“But all you need is love, clearly” {picture of gnarly, copulating bugs}
and
“Eric likes taking pictures of the moon”
I was seriously laughing out loud.

I don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned this, but one of the reasons I love your blog and come back regularly is I get the feeling that on here, you are just exactly who you are. There is no ego here. Just you being you. You allow yourself to be vulnerable, and your authentic self shines through, and it’s really beautiful.

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

I’m glad that you understand my sense of humour! I usually just put it in for my own amusement, assuming no one will be laughing with me. Thanks for your kind words!

51 Eat Hike Sleep Repeat September 28, 2011

If these are flops, then my efforts are truly failures. This post is timely. I was just finishing up writing today’s post when I heard this disconcerting crackling sound… I forgot about the beans cooking on the stove. Again! They were so far over done that they turned to paste when I stirred them. ha! Bean dip : ) This wasn’t the intent, but I’ll roll with it.

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

lol…bean dip.
I forgot about beans on the stove last week and they burned to the bottom of the pot…black beans take on a whole new meaning. Could barely get them off!

53 Erin Brown September 28, 2011

I vote that you post the carrot cake granola bars!!!

54 Amber K September 28, 2011

What a fun post! Although, you mentioned your Fall header in a previous post, but I still see the other one. The one with the onion and garlic and what not. From the picture you posted here the Fall header looks beautiful!

55 Andrea September 28, 2011

Just press F5 and it will refresh the header :)

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

yup :) did that work?

57 Amber K September 28, 2011

Thanks! I can see it now. Looks amazing Angela!

58 Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy September 28, 2011

I love the behind the scenes post!

59 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan September 28, 2011

I don’t know if they sell them in Canada, but some company – Reynolds Wrap, I believe? – sells disposable slow cooker liners. I never use my slow cooker without one.

Oh, post the vanilla cake batter recipe for us vanilla people!

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

Wow they really have something for everything these days! ;)

61 Sara September 28, 2011

I still can’t see the header…
Food flops happen. They really stress me out and I’ve got learn not to get so upset about them. Flops are a part of trying new things…a large part!

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

I hold control + F5…and it refreshes the page

63 Kris @ Attainable Sustainable September 28, 2011

I’m the original poster of that oatmeal in a jar. Just by looking at the picture, I can see that you don’t have enough oats in the jar. Try it again, this time making sure to fill the jar halfway. Really, it works, and it’s so easy!

64 leslie September 28, 2011

Even your less-than-successes are impressive though!

65 Ellie@fitforthesoul September 28, 2011

Ahhh it’s nice to know I’m not the only one with lots of flops!! xD

It’s so interesting you said that about navy beans! Because the other day I made a roasted pepper/onion/garlic pasta casserole with the beans as part of the sauce, and although it’s good–it was really tough to get the flavors right.

66 angela @ PattycakesnPancakes September 28, 2011

What a cute post!! Your pictures are superb!! Great job even if the recipes weren’t to your liking. ;) You’re a winner in my book!

67 Fanta September 28, 2011

Thanks for this post! You’ve really inspired me to branch out and try some new ideas, regardless if they’re successful or not :)

68 Jessica September 28, 2011

Wow! I am so comforted by this post! I’m not alone in having some flops! Thanks for all the testing and picture taking you do before posting a recipe.

69 Andrea September 28, 2011

With a remark like that, I’d love to try out the carrot cake granola bars recipe! :) & I made a watermelon & cucumber smoothie for breakfast this morning which I really didn’t think I would like that much, but it’s all I’ve been thinking about since! Haha

& I don’t understand the oats with the boiling water either… wouldn’t it take just as long to cook them on the stove?

Anyways, have a great day! :)

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

I think the idea behind it is that you can get ready for work while the oats sit in the jar, instead of standing over the stove top. I reeeeaally didnt like them in the jar though. I heard instant oats work better.

71 Carly September 30, 2011

I posted about this further down. I do it in a bowl with normal oats and put just enough boiling water to reach the top of the oats, cover for 5 minutes then mix it up. So quick and easy, and I was really surprised at how creamy they tasted.

72 Sara September 28, 2011

Angela, how did you make the Pumpkin Butter swirl oats? I have a batch of your pumpkin butter leftover from the Butternut bread I made this weekend and would love to use it in oatmeal!

73 Ana September 28, 2011

Reay fun post! I would love to see the carrot cake granola bars, they look reeeeeally good! :-)
Ana

74 Beth September 28, 2011

I’m enjoying seeing all of the creations you have made since July, even the flops. After all the flops are how we learn.
Leftover almond pulp can be used instead of almond flour in any baking recipe. When you do that, it is cheaper than buying the store bought almond milk & almond flour. I like to use the leftover pulp to make gluten-free chocolate chip cookies. Yum!

75 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 28, 2011

You make more “flops” than I do actual dishes in total! It’s crazy to see all the behind the scenes stuff, you guys must be up to your ears in food with the flops + successes!
It’s hard to believe some of these didn’t taste good b/c almost all of them look delicious!

76 whitney September 28, 2011

I love this! Everything looks good. I would still eat it all! Give it up! :)

Whitney

77 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty September 28, 2011

I love this! I makes me happy as I always just imagine everything in your kitchen turns out magical. :) As for the almond pulp, I have made some awesome “cheese” with it. Or you can make crackers with it too! So many options!

78 sugar September 28, 2011

oh girl.. my best dishes turn out like your flops.. and worse!
I do love that you have to try a couple times to get your recipes.. you’re not superwoman! lol..

79 Julie @ Shining From Within September 28, 2011

PLEASE tell me some details of that cinnabun oatmeal!!! (what’d you use? toppings?)

80 Cari September 28, 2011

Not sure if you can get them in Canada but in the US there are crockpot liners so there is no clean up. It’s really nice when you don’t want to clean and still want to use the crockpot.

81 Alexandra September 28, 2011

Fun idea for a post! The leftover almond, after making almond milk, can be dehydrated and used as almond flour for almond cookies. I tried the oatmeal idea and it worked for me. Maybe you didn’t put enough oats with all that other stuff that is in the jar?

82 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 28, 2011

Omg wow.

ALL those things you made and DIDNT post!!??

First, anyone who says that bloggers don’t work on their recipe development has never come to your house!

And all those high hopes for things you really want to turn out but just didn’t quite…that is so frustrating.

As well as losing the recipe for things you made once. Or making them once, on a the fly, and they turned out great but then trying them again w/ really careful attn to details..and you never get it quite right like the first (random) time…happens to me too

“This was the only picture on my camera…no finished product. Suspicious…” <— LOL at that one

I loved this post. And 95% of everything you posted could be and probably should have been blogged about. Just sayin :)

83 Melanie September 28, 2011

I’ve been eating my oatmeal made in a jar ever since I stumbled across the method and I love it! If you made it the way you are picturing it, I’m not surprised you didn’t like it. You need to fill the oats HALF WAY UP to whatever jar you are using. In your picture, you’ve filled the oats MAYBE a quarter. You fill the jar half with oats, then top with your goodies, then fill the jar up to the thread with boiling water, put the lid on and shake well. Wait 15 minutes and then eat. The consistency is different than cooked on the stove, so it may not be your cup of tea, but it works great for me!

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2011

I tried that as well as still didnt work for me. Just didn’t like it I guess!

85 Jen September 28, 2011

I agree with Eric about the Carrot Cake Granola Bars! Post the recipe! I really want a spoonful of the batter.

Another crime against humanity? Those oats in a mason jar. That’s just a crime against oats. They look so thin and watery! But wow, your Cinnamon Bun Oatmeal…that bowl looks like a major win. Nothing says “peaceful Fall morning” quite like that.

86 Kath September 28, 2011

Love this :)

87 Dutchgirl Sam September 28, 2011

Good luck tomorrow with your medical results. I’ll think of you and hope it will all work out just fine and that you get the answers you want and need.

88 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me September 28, 2011

Yes! I love that you posted this. :)

89 Susan September 28, 2011

I just tried the oatmeal in a mason jar trick and it worked well for me. I love how portable that idea is without using disposable packaging.

90 Jess @ Forever Addicting September 28, 2011

hahaha oh the ‘flops’ in the kitchen. I’ve had so many, some very similar to yours :P Lessons learned for the next time round ;) Fun post and pics!

91 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 28, 2011

Wowza, you’ve been one busy lady. I cannot even comprehend what I just saw/read. Can’t wait for those carrot cake bars!!!

92 Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 28, 2011

my oh my – you HAVE been busy!!!!

93 Anna @ The Guiltless Life September 28, 2011

I love this post! Good for you for owning up to your failures, I tend to try to pretend they don’t happen. My zucchini cakes that were so soggy and bland I wouldn’t even feed them to birds…oi.

Your sense of humour is awesome. Love reading your posts; always laugh out loud!

94 Amber Schaefer September 28, 2011

There’s so many of those recipes I’d love to have! Vanilla Cake Batter, Crock Pot Steel Cut Oats, Carrot Cake Granola Bars, and the Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal!

95 Amelia @ princessandthefrosting September 28, 2011

PLEASE do a post on the carrot cake granola bars! they look phenomenal! :) I’ll be waiting hehe

96 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles September 28, 2011

That pumpkin butter swirl oatmeal looks amazing! I’m so glad to know that I’m not the only one whose recipes don’t turn out quite right all the time. It even happens to seasoned pros!

97 Connie September 28, 2011

That cinnamon bun oatmeal looks YUM! Recipe PLEASE!

98 Mandi September 28, 2011

I would love some carrot cake granola bars and agree with Eric completely! My fiance was drooling over your photo of the s’mores granola bar. We will gladly help you eat the flops!

99 katie@ KatieDid September 28, 2011

Wow your try out sooo much! I wish I could find the time and money for so many attempts at recipes I make but.. I guess I’ll just stick to trying out your tried and true versions :)

100 Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection September 28, 2011

It’s fun to see what didn’t quite make the cut for the blog–this might sound weird but it’s a nice reminder that no one is perfect when experimenting in the kitchen. Things can’t always turn out amazingly (though your food still LOOKS fantastic!!)

101 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 28, 2011

They may not have made the blog, but they all sure look darn good to me!

102 blossjoss September 28, 2011

Super fun post!

103 Lori September 28, 2011

Have you tried the crockpot steel cut oats on just the warm setting overnight? I tried this instead of the low setting and it turned out really good!

104 Nina @ SLO Foodie September 28, 2011

Oh cinnamon bun oatmeal! I want to know that one so badly since I have tried and tried to come up with a good one. If it ever resurfaces, please post! :)

105 Tara September 28, 2011

YUM the toffee bars look great. I am a huge fan of your other ones and have made them quite a few times :) Would you be able to let me know what modifications you made to this one? :) They look delish!

106 jenna September 28, 2011

Such a fun post :) I also used to wonder what the heck to do with the leftover almond pulp when making almond milk… UNTIL I mixed it up with some nutritional yeast, lemon juice and salt and pepper. The quickest “cheese” spread you’ll ever make, and I think it’s one of the best I’ve had.

107 Manda September 28, 2011

You are posting the recipes for some of these right?

108 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2011

perhaps, if some of them turn out the way I want them to :)

109 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 28, 2011

Everything looks so good! Great pictures!! The S’mores in the jar look out of this world!!

110 Diana @ frontyardfoodie September 28, 2011

I keep catching myself drooling.

I must start making more fall flavors.

111 Jessica September 29, 2011

You can use the leftover almond pulp to make homemade almond flour. I just spread it out on a baking sheet, let it sit overnight to dry out a little, and then stick it in the oven, as low as the temp will go, for an hour or two. You could probably use a dehydrator, too. Once the pulp has dried out sufficiently, I use my spice grinder to turn it into flour. When you consider the fact that you get two products out of the almonds this way, it really does become a huge cost savings.

If I’m too lazy to make flour, I add the pulp to my overnight oats, or to bread or other baked goods.

112 Ashley September 29, 2011

You my dear, are completely amazing!!!

113 Rachel September 29, 2011

I will never get over not having the s’mores cake in a jar recipe (as I have mentioned it at least 3 times before). But it’s comforting to know that you are still trying, and for that I am appreciative :-)

114 Rachel September 29, 2011

I love “inside info” posts like these! Thanks for sharing :-)

115 DORIS @vanillacocoberry September 29, 2011

hahaha I sure have met Mr. Chocolate more than once :)
had to laugh multiple times while reading this

116 Sophie September 29, 2011

There were some tasty & eadible recipes in there, I thought! MMMMMM,…You certainly have been busy!!

I had to smile & laugh through the whole post! :)

Many greetings from Belgium!

117 Heather September 29, 2011

Wow, I love this V.I.P. look. I feel so stealth. I really commend you for all of your trial and errors. You really do work so hard and it is super inspiring!

118 Jessica September 29, 2011

Whew! I thought I was the only one with recipe mishaps! You better be posting that carrot cake granola bar recipe soon! :)

119 Jennifer September 29, 2011

You should try making your crock pot overnight oatmeal using a crock pot liner. My husband’s aunt uses them at every holiday and she’s always so glad she can just pull the liner out and not actually have to clean the crock pot!

120 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers September 29, 2011

Thanks for the honesty! It happens to the best of us. Oh, and yes, cleaning the crock pot is a major undertaking!

121 robyn September 29, 2011

Even your disasters make good pictures! That first and last picture of the pot?? That’s whats happens to me way too many times making yogurt!!

122 Shira September 29, 2011

Fun to see ideas, even if they don’t turn out!
I have a question, kinda unrelated, but I have seen posts of yours about oatmeal, and different ways of making it and etc, and on other blogs too.. is there a reason for ‘overnight oats’ or the steel cut oats? I mean I make and have always made rolled oats in the microwave or stovetop.. just wondering if there is a health benefit or reason for these other methods?

123 Mac September 29, 2011

I have far too many of these incidences, thanks for sharing yours!

PS secret to crock pot cleaning is to not clean at all, by getting crock pot plastic lining. They apparently don’t stick to the crock pot and all you have to do is throw them out when you’re done eating/cooking. My aunt uses them all the time for Thanksgiving so we don’t have to clean up a whole lot.

124 Marcy September 29, 2011

Such creative flops! Sometimes flops are the most fun. My disastrous attempt at savory vegan ice cream sandwiches is one of my most popular posts. What’s up with that?

125 Sarah September 29, 2011

Cleaning oats from the crockpot is pretty simple… I just empty the crock pot and fill it with water up to where the “oat line” is. Then I just go to class and leave it to soak (for a few hours) and it pulls the oats right off the side. Good luck!

126 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 29, 2011

try marinating and then pureeing gigante beans. Add a teensy bit of evoo and red wine vinegar-amazing pasta sauce.

127 Jenny September 29, 2011

Any more crimes against humanity? Yes: not posting the Cinnamon Bun Oatmeal recipe! The recipe for apple Pie Oatmeal on here is my favourite thus far, but… perhaps I’m mistaken and just have yet to taste something as heavenly as Cinnamon Bun Oatmeal sounds.

I was always under the impression that almond milk was much cheaper to make than the store-bought stuff… unless it’s that much cheaper in Ontario than it is in BC. And I don’t doubt that the oatmeal and boiled water trick works for others, but I’ve never gotten it right either. :| At least overnight oatmeal always seems to turn out just right!

128 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner September 29, 2011

I want those recipes SO bad!!!! :)

129 michelle September 29, 2011

I love how you post your ‘flops’…although what you consider a failure is probably delicious.

130 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 29, 2011

I like these behind the scenes posts :-)

131 Carly September 30, 2011

For the oats and boiling water, I have had great success with using a bowl, pouring the boiling water over the oats/ingredients so you can JUST see it at the top of the oats and then cover for 5 minutes. It produces great almost-creamy oats. Very quick & yummy

132 digamba October 2, 2011

I have a sweet potato soup recipe and it’s great…it uses peanut butter, but you could sub cashew or sunflower butter (not almond, that wouldn’t taste right). Are you interested?

133 Lynna @wholeytreats October 2, 2011

oh my god, carrot cake granola bars? what a great idea! I can’t wait til you perfect and post that recipe. I may experiment a little myself!

134 Sophia October 5, 2011

Just saw your comments about making almond milk at home. In the UK, making your own almond milk is definitely cheaper than buying store-bought. However, I initially had the same concerns about wasting the almond pulp – until I discovered you can easily swap out half the flour in most quick bread recipes (e.g. banana loaf) with the almond pulp and you end up with a super moist crumb that is a bit nutty and has a bit more bite to it than using just flour (and I actually prefer it that way now!).

All the best

Sophia

135 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011

Thats a great tip!

136 Laura @ prettylittlewords October 7, 2011

Angela! The secret to slow cooker oats is that you don’t use a slow cooker at all…use a RICE cooker! The nonstick coating and steam release, as well as different settings (you have to use one of the “fancier” computerized ones, although mine was only $60) and set it on either the quick cook/porridge setting or the white rice setting. It’s magic, every time. I will never go back!