Make-Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2128 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes IMG 2105 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal RecipesIMG 2106 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes IMG 2111 3 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

You wouldn’t know it from the plethora of steel-cut oatmeal recipes I have on the blog (one), but steel-cut oats are actually my favourite way to enjoy oatmeal.

The only problem is I’m usually too hungry to wait 30 minutes to eat breakfast. Hence, my obsession with quick breakfasts like Vegan overnight oats, Green Monsters, and rolled oatmeal.

IMG 2086 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

Oats in review:

Instant Oats have been cooked, dried and rolled and are the most processed way to eat oats. Instant oats are very thin and need only hot liquid to soften. They are ready in about 60 seconds. While they are the most convenient (although some might argue that overnight oats are the most convenient!), they often have a lot of added salt, sugar, and other strange ingredients.

Quick-cooking oats are simply rolled oats that have been cut into smaller pieces. They cook in about 3-4 minutes.

Rolled oats are also known as Old-Fashioned Oats. They have been steamed, pressed with a roller, and dried. Cooking time is between 5-10 minutes. These are the oats that I use in my oatmeal recipes and in some baking recipes.

Steel-cut oats are also known as pinhead oats (pinhead…ha), coarse-cut oats, Irish oats, or Scotch oats. They are oat groats (the inner portion of the oat kernel) that have been cut into 2-3 pieces rather than being steamed and rolled. Steel-cut oats are coarse in texture and remain chewy even after cooking and re-heating. They generally take about 20-25 minutes to cook, although there is a quick-cook overnight method too.

Because steel-cut oats retain their chewy texture after cooking (while rolled oats tend to get mushy), they are the perfect breakfast cereal to make ahead of time and quickly reheat in the morning.

Many of you said you like to make a big batch of steel-cut oats and then enjoy it all week long for quick and easy breakfasts. Once I wrapped my head around actually making the oatmeal at night (I tend to forget!), it occurred to me how much time it can save in the morning. And steel-cut oats reheat very, very well. I actually think that my make-ahead batch tasted better the next morning after the flavours developed a bit more.

IMG 2084 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

I was feeling inspired after my post on my 5 favourite oatmeal recipes, so I put on my creative oatmeal thinking cap and went to town!

IMG 2089 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2105 thumb1   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2106 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2113 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2111 3 thumb1   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2127 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG 2128 2 thumb   Make Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

You are all cordially invited for a steel-cut oatmeal party.

Just don’t be alarmed when you see the bomb that went off in my kitchen…

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com September 20, 2011

These recipes are so adorable and look super tasty! Love the photography per usual. Thanks to you, I’m getting excited for chilly morning oats!

emily September 20, 2011

Yes! I love this. I’m getting to this over the weekend!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. September 20, 2011

I make my oats in the slow cooker-for everyone!! The dogs LOVE them!!

sarah September 20, 2011

I am wondering if steel cut oats can be cooked in a rice cooker? Have you tried it? I love my rice cooker for rice and quinoa, and would be tres happy if it worked for these oats! Love your pics, look like they are ready for a magazine…

It looks like it! :)

I just found this tutorial here: http://potteryblog.com/2009/01/cooking-steel-cut-oats-in-a-rice-cooker/

Alison M. September 20, 2011

I cook mine in a rice cooker on Sunday night. My rice cooker has a timer and I put in the oats set the timer for the next morning and use the brown rice setting. They come out perfectly! I have never tried to do anything but the oats and water. I am excited to try the combo that Angela has created for the make ahead oats. I do get nervous about leavng my milk in the cooker overnight though…

silvia September 20, 2011

Hi Angela,

i was wondering if i can leave out the bananas, as i cant eat them, or are they a neccesity for the reciepe to work?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

Yes you can leave out the bananas and sub in any fruit and sweetener you’d like. Apples, or pears might be nice. Just be sure to adjust the sweetness to taste…you don’t want bland oats!

Sonia (the Mexigarian) September 20, 2011

Wow. I never had steel cut oats, but I really will give this try. Even with weather reaching 90* and spare the air days around here, I am beginning to crave the hot oats. Preparing them ahead of time on the weekend, is just perfect.

How does the oatmeal taste with 4 day old mashed banana in it? Sometimes my bananas in the fridge get the over ripe flavor and I hate that. Did they do that in the oatmeal?

I will let you know!

Brittany September 20, 2011

I wish I was as pretty as that fall spice oatmeal. waaay gorgeous. Also I’m going to be creeping Ottawa farmers markets for fresh prunes. Plums.. but not plums? Is there a difference?

Sherry in Chicago September 20, 2011

A plum is the same as a fresh prune

the plot thickens… :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

I have no idea…the store I got them at called them prunes. But I read that dried plums are prunes….confusing!

Brittany September 20, 2011

very intriguing. I shall simply refer to them as plumes. or prums. and call it a day.

Sounds like a plan!

Crystal May 14, 2012

Dried plums are prunes; now they’re called dried plums because they got a bad rap with the other name.

Mary2t September 23, 2012

The dried prunes are of a different variety than the red, purple, black plums usually sold fresh, which don’t dry well. In French they are differentiated by prune & prunelle. (Peaches have different varieties too. Freestone are sold for eating fresh while clingstone are grown for canneries. Who knew fruit could be so mysterious?)

Lindsey @ Why Just Eat September 20, 2011

Wow! I am inspired :)

laura September 20, 2011

The photography, the flavours, oats, oh my this is magnificent!
Ill have to make these with my rolled oats as I always seem to fail with steelcut.
For me oats are not complete without a mshed or chopped banana in them,
add such great sweetness. :)

Thanks Laura :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 20, 2011

Wowza oats! We love steel cut at our house. We usually mix 1/2 steel cut and 1/2 rolled oats for a chewy + smooth bowl of oats. I’m loving your fall take on the oatmeal. I did something really similar yesterday with leftover grains! http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2011/09/putting-leftover-grains-to-work-3-minute-breakfast-bowl/ if you’re interested!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn September 20, 2011

I love it. Can you pleaseeeee do a post on how to microwave/dormify some of your food cause girl I am dying over here

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

I found this article on how to cook them in the micro….hope it helps!

Angela @ PattycakesnPancakes September 20, 2011

Girl you rock! I never was an oatmeal eater. I’m getting better now because I need something quick in the morning being a new mom. These recipes look so good !!

Erin September 20, 2011

I was just looking at my steel cut oats and lamenting always going for the easy kind! Thanks for the motivation and inspiration to make these recipes!

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 20, 2011

I was actually just looking at slow cooker oatmeal recipes — I want something quick and easy for breakfast and I am craving warm foods so oatmeal seemed like a good choice.

I love all of the combos you came up with!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet September 20, 2011

I’d officially like to eat every meal at your house!

Katrina September 20, 2011

Oh my! All of them look super yummy!

Sarah September 20, 2011

I love steel cut oats! And this post is perfect timing as I’m on my third day of oatmeal breakfasts :)
The pictures a gorgeous!

Katie September 20, 2011

Oh man I love steel cut oatmeal! Now I have 4 new recipes to add to my repertoire. Woot Woot! :) I’m excited to get in the kitchen and start cooking. I have to ask, though, which recipe was your favorite?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

That’s a tough one….I’d say a tie between cookie dough and the swirl!

Corinne September 20, 2011

I want to compliment you on your creative oatmeal recipes! I eat overnight oats just about everyday for breakfast and you’ve just inspired me to try making a big batch of steel-cut to keep in the fridge. Thanks!

Thanks Corinne :)

Doreen G. September 20, 2011

I was inspired by you this morning even before reading this post. I’m sitting here with a bowl of “peach cobbler” oatmeal. Rolled oats, chia seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, stevia, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 diced fresh peach, 1 TBS Bob’s organic honey oat granola to top it off! Mmm! A little brown sugar would have been fab, but I’m trying to watch the sugar intake. Now, I’m thinking about breakfast for tomorrow! ;)

Mmm that sounds great!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) September 20, 2011

my old roommate and i were oatmeal addicts.. we would put steel cut in the crock pot with chopped apples and spices over night, and wake up to a glorious bowl of oatmeal. such cool college chicks we were ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

haha that’s smilar to the crock pot steel cut oats recipe I posted a while back. Slow cookers are fun! But I hate the clean up…

Melissa September 20, 2011

This is too funny… It’s like you read my mind!
I’ve been on a total oatmeal kick, but I had steel cut oats for the first time today! I just found them yesterday in the grocery store. I ate mine plain with a handful of raspberries mashed in. So good!

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) September 20, 2011

The cookie dough oats looks heavenly. I might just try this out :)

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove September 20, 2011

My fiancee loves steel cut oats so I may have to try making one of these for him!

Lindsay September 20, 2011

I’ll do the dishes if you save me some…I figure if I start driving now, I can be there in a week or two.

Liz @ Southern Charm September 20, 2011

Thanks for the different recipe options! Dying to try the chocolate chip cookie dough one!!

Georgina September 20, 2011

Angela,

What a wonderful combination of recipes! I am about to get company at home. I think I may actually prepare this every night and have a different version in the morning. It will be a breeze to have 4 nutritious breakfasts next day! :)

Nicole @ PancakesandPilates September 20, 2011

Angela, you are the best! I LOVE steel cut oats. They make winter bearable :) I usually stick to the same couple of mix-ins, but its becoming very clear I need to get my hands on some cinnamon swirl PB. The variety here is incredible. Thanks so much for sharing.

Tiffany September 20, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed this post and you have me drooling for a bowl of oats right now!

Kathryn September 20, 2011

YUMMY! I love whole oat groats too. I cook them in the rice cooker on the brown rice setting with chopped apples and cinnamon. So good! I make them at night too!

Aisha September 20, 2011

Oh my, these look so delicious!
What great ideas for oatmeal, I can’t seem to get enough.
I just posted about my favorite way to make steel cut oats (the overnight, vegan kind) with a chai oatmeal recipe! Yum!

Aisha

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

whoooaaa I had no idea you could use steel cut for overnight oats!!

Aisha September 20, 2011

I know! It has CHANGED. MY. LIFE.

:P

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

I will be trying this stat!

Jessica September 20, 2011

Perfect timing for this post! I’ve always been interested in steel cut oats, but much like you, I’m always too hungry to wait 30 minutes for breakfast. Now that I know you can cook them / reheat them (and they reheat well!) I’m definitely going to pick some up on my next trip to the store and try each of these recipes.

Cait's Plate September 20, 2011

Hahah – a kitchen looking like a bomb having gone off would be considered only a mere consequence for a bowl that turns out looking that delicious! I’ve never done steel-cut oats and I really don’t know why. I need to change that!

Alisha Abercrombie September 20, 2011

Do u buy your carob nibs online? I can’t find them in any stores near me.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

I buy them in bulk from my supplier ONFC. I think bulk barn might carry them? Or whole foods & natural food stores. But yes you can probably find them online for cheaper.

Tricia Wikoff September 20, 2011

I make mine in the slow cooker and have them cook all night. Might have to try some of these toppings tho! They all look amazing!

Kelly September 20, 2011

This is awesome! I get in such a rut with oatmeal. I make a big batch of plain oats (no seasonings) in the crock-pot and split them with my husband during the week. These mixtures will be a great addition to our breakfast rotation. thank you!!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life September 20, 2011

Perfect, I’ve been wanting a make-ahead recipe for these because I love steel-cut oats, but yes, they do take a long time to cook! I personally love how nutty they taste more than anything else. So delicious; can’t wait to try!

Lia September 20, 2011

What an easy and wonderful idea! Making them ahead, love it, and will definitely be making use if it as these days get colder. Thanks again!

Ali September 20, 2011

I love to do a huge batch of steel-cut oats & dried fruit in my slow cooker. Then I freeze them in individual portions. Viola! Instant breakfast.

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 20, 2011

Ahhh they all look delicious, although perhaps a bit sugary! The cookie dough one is calling my name….

Page 1 of 41234»