Make-Ahead Steel Cut Oatmeal & 4 New Oatmeal Recipes

IMG_2128 IMG_2105IMG_2106 IMG_2111-3

You wouldn’t know it from the plethora of steel-cut oatmeal recipes I have on the blog (one), but steel-cut oats are actually my favourite way to enjoy oatmeal.

The only problem is I’m usually too hungry to wait 30 minutes to eat breakfast. Hence, my obsession with quick breakfasts like Vegan overnight oats, Green Monsters, and rolled oatmeal.

IMG_2086-2

Oats in review:

Instant Oats have been cooked, dried and rolled and are the most processed way to eat oats. Instant oats are very thin and need only hot liquid to soften. They are ready in about 60 seconds. While they are the most convenient (although some might argue that overnight oats are the most convenient!), they often have a lot of added salt, sugar, and other strange ingredients.

Quick-cooking oats are simply rolled oats that have been cut into smaller pieces. They cook in about 3-4 minutes.

Rolled oats are also known as Old-Fashioned Oats. They have been steamed, pressed with a roller, and dried. Cooking time is between 5-10 minutes. These are the oats that I use in my oatmeal recipes and in some baking recipes.

Steel-cut oats are also known as pinhead oats (pinhead…ha), coarse-cut oats, Irish oats, or Scotch oats. They are oat groats (the inner portion of the oat kernel) that have been cut into 2-3 pieces rather than being steamed and rolled. Steel-cut oats are coarse in texture and remain chewy even after cooking and re-heating. They generally take about 20-25 minutes to cook, although there is a quick-cook overnight method too.

Because steel-cut oats retain their chewy texture after cooking (while rolled oats tend to get mushy), they are the perfect breakfast cereal to make ahead of time and quickly reheat in the morning.

Many of you said you like to make a big batch of steel-cut oats and then enjoy it all week long for quick and easy breakfasts. Once I wrapped my head around actually making the oatmeal at night (I tend to forget!), it occurred to me how much time it can save in the morning. And steel-cut oats reheat very, very well. I actually think that my make-ahead batch tasted better the next morning after the flavours developed a bit more.

IMG_2084-2

I was feeling inspired after my post on my 5 favourite oatmeal recipes, so I put on my creative oatmeal thinking cap and went to town!

IMG_2089-2

IMG_2105

IMG_2106-2

IMG_2113-2

IMG_2111-3

IMG_2127-2

IMG_2128-2

You are all cordially invited for a steel-cut oatmeal party.

Just don’t be alarmed when you see the bomb that went off in my kitchen…

1 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com September 20, 2011

These recipes are so adorable and look super tasty! Love the photography per usual. Thanks to you, I’m getting excited for chilly morning oats!

2 emily September 20, 2011

Yes! I love this. I’m getting to this over the weekend!

3 Get Skinny, Go Vegan. September 20, 2011

I make my oats in the slow cooker-for everyone!! The dogs LOVE them!!

4 sarah September 20, 2011

I am wondering if steel cut oats can be cooked in a rice cooker? Have you tried it? I love my rice cooker for rice and quinoa, and would be tres happy if it worked for these oats! Love your pics, look like they are ready for a magazine…

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

It looks like it! :)

I just found this tutorial here: http://potteryblog.com/2009/01/cooking-steel-cut-oats-in-a-rice-cooker/

6 Alison M. September 20, 2011

I cook mine in a rice cooker on Sunday night. My rice cooker has a timer and I put in the oats set the timer for the next morning and use the brown rice setting. They come out perfectly! I have never tried to do anything but the oats and water. I am excited to try the combo that Angela has created for the make ahead oats. I do get nervous about leavng my milk in the cooker overnight though…

7 silvia September 20, 2011

Hi Angela,

i was wondering if i can leave out the bananas, as i cant eat them, or are they a neccesity for the reciepe to work?

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

Yes you can leave out the bananas and sub in any fruit and sweetener you’d like. Apples, or pears might be nice. Just be sure to adjust the sweetness to taste…you don’t want bland oats!

9 Sonia (the Mexigarian) September 20, 2011

Wow. I never had steel cut oats, but I really will give this try. Even with weather reaching 90* and spare the air days around here, I am beginning to crave the hot oats. Preparing them ahead of time on the weekend, is just perfect.

How does the oatmeal taste with 4 day old mashed banana in it? Sometimes my bananas in the fridge get the over ripe flavor and I hate that. Did they do that in the oatmeal?

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

I will let you know!

11 Brittany September 20, 2011

I wish I was as pretty as that fall spice oatmeal. waaay gorgeous. Also I’m going to be creeping Ottawa farmers markets for fresh prunes. Plums.. but not plums? Is there a difference?

12 Sherry in Chicago September 20, 2011

A plum is the same as a fresh prune

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

the plot thickens… :)

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

I have no idea…the store I got them at called them prunes. But I read that dried plums are prunes….confusing!

15 Brittany September 20, 2011

very intriguing. I shall simply refer to them as plumes. or prums. and call it a day.

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

Sounds like a plan!

17 Crystal May 14, 2012

Dried plums are prunes; now they’re called dried plums because they got a bad rap with the other name.

18 Mary2t September 23, 2012

The dried prunes are of a different variety than the red, purple, black plums usually sold fresh, which don’t dry well. In French they are differentiated by prune & prunelle. (Peaches have different varieties too. Freestone are sold for eating fresh while clingstone are grown for canneries. Who knew fruit could be so mysterious?)

19 Lindsey @ Why Just Eat September 20, 2011

Wow! I am inspired :)

20 laura September 20, 2011

The photography, the flavours, oats, oh my this is magnificent!
Ill have to make these with my rolled oats as I always seem to fail with steelcut.
For me oats are not complete without a mshed or chopped banana in them,
add such great sweetness. :)

21 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

Thanks Laura :)

22 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 20, 2011

Wowza oats! We love steel cut at our house. We usually mix 1/2 steel cut and 1/2 rolled oats for a chewy + smooth bowl of oats. I’m loving your fall take on the oatmeal. I did something really similar yesterday with leftover grains! http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2011/09/putting-leftover-grains-to-work-3-minute-breakfast-bowl/ if you’re interested!

23 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn September 20, 2011

I love it. Can you pleaseeeee do a post on how to microwave/dormify some of your food cause girl I am dying over here

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

I found this article on how to cook them in the micro….hope it helps!

25 Angela @ PattycakesnPancakes September 20, 2011

Girl you rock! I never was an oatmeal eater. I’m getting better now because I need something quick in the morning being a new mom. These recipes look so good !!

26 Erin September 20, 2011

I was just looking at my steel cut oats and lamenting always going for the easy kind! Thanks for the motivation and inspiration to make these recipes!

27 Holly @ The Runny Egg September 20, 2011

I was actually just looking at slow cooker oatmeal recipes — I want something quick and easy for breakfast and I am craving warm foods so oatmeal seemed like a good choice.

I love all of the combos you came up with!

28 Lauren at Keep It Sweet September 20, 2011

I’d officially like to eat every meal at your house!

29 Katrina September 20, 2011

Oh my! All of them look super yummy!

30 Sarah September 20, 2011

I love steel cut oats! And this post is perfect timing as I’m on my third day of oatmeal breakfasts :)
The pictures a gorgeous!

31 Corinne September 20, 2011

I want to compliment you on your creative oatmeal recipes! I eat overnight oats just about everyday for breakfast and you’ve just inspired me to try making a big batch of steel-cut to keep in the fridge. Thanks!

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

Thanks Corinne :)

33 Katie September 20, 2011

Oh man I love steel cut oatmeal! Now I have 4 new recipes to add to my repertoire. Woot Woot! :) I’m excited to get in the kitchen and start cooking. I have to ask, though, which recipe was your favorite?!

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

That’s a tough one….I’d say a tie between cookie dough and the swirl!

35 Doreen G. September 20, 2011

I was inspired by you this morning even before reading this post. I’m sitting here with a bowl of “peach cobbler” oatmeal. Rolled oats, chia seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, stevia, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 diced fresh peach, 1 TBS Bob’s organic honey oat granola to top it off! Mmm! A little brown sugar would have been fab, but I’m trying to watch the sugar intake. Now, I’m thinking about breakfast for tomorrow! ;)

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

Mmm that sounds great!

37 Felicia (Natural + Balanced) September 20, 2011

my old roommate and i were oatmeal addicts.. we would put steel cut in the crock pot with chopped apples and spices over night, and wake up to a glorious bowl of oatmeal. such cool college chicks we were ;)

38 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

haha that’s smilar to the crock pot steel cut oats recipe I posted a while back. Slow cookers are fun! But I hate the clean up…

39 Melissa September 20, 2011

This is too funny… It’s like you read my mind!
I’ve been on a total oatmeal kick, but I had steel cut oats for the first time today! I just found them yesterday in the grocery store. I ate mine plain with a handful of raspberries mashed in. So good!

40 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) September 20, 2011

The cookie dough oats looks heavenly. I might just try this out :)

41 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove September 20, 2011

My fiancee loves steel cut oats so I may have to try making one of these for him!

42 Lindsay September 20, 2011

I’ll do the dishes if you save me some…I figure if I start driving now, I can be there in a week or two.

43 Liz @ Southern Charm September 20, 2011

Thanks for the different recipe options! Dying to try the chocolate chip cookie dough one!!

44 Georgina September 20, 2011

Angela,

What a wonderful combination of recipes! I am about to get company at home. I think I may actually prepare this every night and have a different version in the morning. It will be a breeze to have 4 nutritious breakfasts next day! :)

45 Nicole @ PancakesandPilates September 20, 2011

Angela, you are the best! I LOVE steel cut oats. They make winter bearable :) I usually stick to the same couple of mix-ins, but its becoming very clear I need to get my hands on some cinnamon swirl PB. The variety here is incredible. Thanks so much for sharing.

46 Tiffany September 20, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed this post and you have me drooling for a bowl of oats right now!

47 Kathryn September 20, 2011

YUMMY! I love whole oat groats too. I cook them in the rice cooker on the brown rice setting with chopped apples and cinnamon. So good! I make them at night too!

48 Aisha September 20, 2011

Oh my, these look so delicious!
What great ideas for oatmeal, I can’t seem to get enough.
I just posted about my favorite way to make steel cut oats (the overnight, vegan kind) with a chai oatmeal recipe! Yum!

Aisha

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

whoooaaa I had no idea you could use steel cut for overnight oats!!

50 Aisha September 20, 2011

I know! It has CHANGED. MY. LIFE.

:P

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

I will be trying this stat!

52 Jessica September 20, 2011

Perfect timing for this post! I’ve always been interested in steel cut oats, but much like you, I’m always too hungry to wait 30 minutes for breakfast. Now that I know you can cook them / reheat them (and they reheat well!) I’m definitely going to pick some up on my next trip to the store and try each of these recipes.

53 Cait's Plate September 20, 2011

Hahah – a kitchen looking like a bomb having gone off would be considered only a mere consequence for a bowl that turns out looking that delicious! I’ve never done steel-cut oats and I really don’t know why. I need to change that!

54 Alisha Abercrombie September 20, 2011

Do u buy your carob nibs online? I can’t find them in any stores near me.

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

I buy them in bulk from my supplier ONFC. I think bulk barn might carry them? Or whole foods & natural food stores. But yes you can probably find them online for cheaper.

56 Tricia Wikoff September 20, 2011

I make mine in the slow cooker and have them cook all night. Might have to try some of these toppings tho! They all look amazing!

57 Kelly September 20, 2011

This is awesome! I get in such a rut with oatmeal. I make a big batch of plain oats (no seasonings) in the crock-pot and split them with my husband during the week. These mixtures will be a great addition to our breakfast rotation. thank you!!

58 Anna @ The Guiltless Life September 20, 2011

Perfect, I’ve been wanting a make-ahead recipe for these because I love steel-cut oats, but yes, they do take a long time to cook! I personally love how nutty they taste more than anything else. So delicious; can’t wait to try!

59 Lia September 20, 2011

What an easy and wonderful idea! Making them ahead, love it, and will definitely be making use if it as these days get colder. Thanks again!

60 Ali September 20, 2011

I love to do a huge batch of steel-cut oats & dried fruit in my slow cooker. Then I freeze them in individual portions. Viola! Instant breakfast.

61 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 20, 2011

Ahhh they all look delicious, although perhaps a bit sugary! The cookie dough one is calling my name….

62 Amber K September 20, 2011

I wish I could like oats like that! I need mine to be THICK and I haven’t been able to find a way to do so without mixing them with Greek yogurt and letting them sit over night. Then I can pick the whole thing up and eat it like a cookie. I think I just need to start making an oatmeal cookie for breakfast ;)

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

If you cook the steel cut and then place them into small containers, it will actually firm up so when you remove it from the fridge it will be in the solid shape of your container and just pop right out! Not sure if that is thick enough for you though!

64 Amber K September 20, 2011

Sounds like I have some experimenting to do!

65 Danielle September 20, 2011

this sounds great, will definitely be giving it a try. I already love steel cut oats but have actually only eaten them as overnight oats! they are quite chewy but I like it. I tried them on the stovetop once according to the directions on the package……yuck! chef-error I’m sure, I ended up with a sticky mess that went in the garbage :)

66 Tamikko Gordin September 20, 2011

great recipes! Thank you so much for sharing :)

67 Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries September 20, 2011

I loved this post! I’m in love with oatmeal so the recipes you included are great! I also appreciated the explanation between all the different types of oatmeal. I’ve wondered what steel cut oats really were and the differences between the others. Thanks!

68 Ashley September 20, 2011

Perfect timing! I was just sitting here eating the same bowl of oatmeal I eat most mornings and was thinking I need to change it up. I have never tried steel cut oats before, but I’m excited to. Thanks for the recipes.

69 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 20, 2011

Ange, these recipes look RIDICULOUSLY good!! I like steel cut oatmeal but rarely eat it because it takes so darn long to cook. I think the cinnamon PB swirl and cookie dough would be my favourites. It sounds like you’ve been eating lots of oatmeal lately! :) Have a fantastic afternoon!

70 Lillian September 20, 2011

Perfect timing! I had a hankering for steelies this morning, so I loooove that you have a whole post devoted to different ways to roll with steel-cut oats. (I took inspiration from your pumpkin pie VOO and made some pumpkin pie steelies — so I have you to thank for a fantastic breakfast!) :)

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

I was wondering if it would work with steel cut…glad to hear it was good!

72 Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com September 20, 2011

YESSSSS!! Chocolate chip cookie dough oats!!!

*dances around chair*

My breakfast for tomorrow is now complete! :)

73 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 20, 2011

Great ideas! I love oatmeal in the winter. I did one similar to your berry recipe with just cherries that was great.

Would love to combine your berry and PB swirl ideas for a PB&J oatmeal! :)

74 suzanne September 20, 2011

These recipes are drool worthy and perfect for this crisp autumn weather! I am going to put my order into the coop for a big bag of the oats! Can you use them to bake as well (like the rolled oats – to add to cookies etc)? I have also had my rice cooker in a cabinet for a few yrs b/c my rice did not come out right with it (though it does not come out right on the stove either – i am beginning to get a rice complex!) – gives me new motivation to try it out again!
Thank you!

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

Hey Suzanne!
I didn’t think you could bake with them, but I was able to find a steel cut cookie recipe (which uses 2 tbsp of steel cut oats) http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Dark-Chocolate-Oatmeal-Cookies-109497 so I guess Im wrong!

76 AGS September 20, 2011

I’ve tried steel cut oats in baking and was unsuccessful (did not pass the husband test. . . or my test for that matter, though we still ate the cookies). I’m sure there are ways to use them in baking though.

77 suzanne September 21, 2011

OK – so sounds like only a tbsp or so could work – but not the same as rolled oats where you can use tons! Thanks for the info Angela and AGS!

78 Sarah E September 20, 2011

I make these for my husband all the time, but I learned a trick a little while ago! Boil the water, add the oats and let them boil for a minute. Turn the heat off and cover them up and leave them overnight. In the morning, just turn the oats back on for about 7-8 minutes! This is when I add in my bananas or natural apple sauce, cinnamon, a little vanilla, some flaxseed meal or wheat germ, and whatever else I want! It saves so much time!

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

I linked to that quick cook trick in the post…great minds think alike! :)
I was going to prepare them that way last night, but then I figured it would be quicker to make 4 batches at once instead of washing a pot each morning. Either way, it’s so much easier than cooking from scratch each time!
Another reader commented that you can soak the steel cut overnight like in vegan overnight oats, so Im going to have to try that out too.

80 Dutchgirl Sam September 20, 2011

I’m not that into oatmeal, but I love (!!!) your pictures lately. Really pretty and professional looking! Keep up the good work :)

81 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

Aww thanks! I’ve been trying to change it up a bit. :)

82 Jessica@Glaze September 20, 2011

Love Steel cut oats! I will have to try these recipes. Cinnamon and blueberries gets old after awhile.

83 raechel @the rebel grrl kitchen September 20, 2011

Your picture labels are beautiful! They really add a nice little “something.” : ) All of these look delicious. Angela’s done it again! : )

84 katie@ KatieDid September 20, 2011

your posts are so timely! I’m just getting into steel cut oats… I had them for the first time last week and loved them. Usually oats leave me feeling lethargic and with low blood sugar, but I found out steel cut have a lower glycemic index so I gave them a shot and they worked out really well for me! But yes, the time factor is a bit annoying. This is great to know they reheat really well, thanks!

85 Mariah September 20, 2011

Yum, these look awesome! Angela where do you buy your cocoa nibs? I haven’t been able to find any at my local health food store in waterloo. I also saw your post a few weeks back that had chocolate covered cocoa nibs and i’d also love to get my hands on some of those! Any tips would be appreciated!

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

I buy them at Ontario Natural Food Coop in bulk. I bought the coco covered nibs from bulk barn :) I would imagine they have the plain nibs too? But not positive.
You can also get them at whole foods I think.

87 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 20, 2011

Lovelove!! Haha great recipes and how-to! I am definetly trying out the steel cuts soon :)

88 Shanna September 20, 2011

Now that the weather is getting cooler I can’t wait to make oatmeal…i love it! A friend turned me onto steel cut oats which I find delicious and usually use in place of old fashioned oats in oatmeal recipes. FYI- in case you didn’t know, Trader Joe’s has quick cooking steel cut oats which don’t have any additional junk in them and cook in about 8-10 mins, making it much more convenient to cook them during the week. They come in a cardboard container just like other oats :)

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

Oh that sounds interesting! Good ‘ol TJ’s :) Wish we had them here!

90 Ali Mc September 20, 2011

Those look sooo good especially beery bliss and cookie dough :D YUM! I’ve never heard of steel cut oats – pinheads (I took fish & wildlife in school and pinheads are also what we call baby fish of minnows) lol

it made me laugh

91 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

Im pretty sure im calling them pinheads from now on :D

92 Tessa @ Amazing Asset September 20, 2011

Thank you for the invitation, this is the greatest post I have read all day :)

93 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

94 Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy September 20, 2011

Steel Cut oats are my favorite! Thank you for sharing these recipes! All of them look amazing, I will be trying all of these recipes in the very near future!!

95 Amanda September 20, 2011

All of these look so good Angela! I’ve never had the greatest luck with steel cut oats (although they are also my favorite kind of oat), but I’m inspired to try out these recipes. Making a big batch of oats at the beginning of the week is a fantastic idea, I’m all about saving time in the morning!

96 Charlie September 20, 2011

I love steel cut oats but can’t wait 30 min in the morning either! I should really try making them ahead of time. And they all look delicious!!

97 Carissa September 20, 2011

Loooooove oatmeal. I make the steel cut oats in the crockpot cause I have zero patience for stirring them over the stove. I love the topping ideas! I’ve never tried mixing my nut butters with milk or applesauce. I can’t wait to try them!

98 emily September 20, 2011

i love the sound of all these variations! i guess i’m just gonna have to make them all over the next month. it’s a hard life ;)

99 Julie September 20, 2011

Another option is to use Heidi Swanson’s method from her cookbook Super Natural Cooking. The night before bring water to a boil and add the steel cut oats. Turn off the water and let sit overnight. They will be ready in the morning.

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

I linked to that method in my post too :) Another fun option!

101 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 20, 2011

Berry almond bliss is happening tomorrow morning in my kitchen! These all look delicious!

102 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles September 20, 2011

I just love steel cut oats! They’re so much chewier than rolled oats. Thanks for the topping ideas!

103 Ellie@fitforthesoul September 20, 2011

Such cute photography Angela~I particularly like the Fall Spice picture :D I agree that they take so long! But it seriously helps starting beforehand.

104 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 20, 2011

Oh my, that bowl of cookie dough oats looks incredible!! I want to dive in head first, lol.

105 Andrea P September 20, 2011

Great post! I have always wondered the differences between all the oats and I love steel cut too but they always take so long so I’m going to try this! The chocolate chip cookie dough sounds too delicious!! Thanks Angela :)

106 Danielle September 20, 2011

Wow – Fall Spice. I WILL be trying this! It not only looks Autumnal, I’ll bet it tastes it too. Great oatmeal idea’s – it’s so easy to get stuck in an oatmeal rut sometimes. Now, I have a different one to try every day of the week :)

107 Moni'sMeals September 20, 2011

I love this since I seriously eat oatmeal every morning! You are so awesome for all YOUR hard work on this Ang.

I can only imagine… like you said, what your kitchen looks like!

Long live the pinheads!

108 Kris | iheartwellness.com September 20, 2011

I think my heart just skipped a beat. I am swooning over here over the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough! HELLO!

xxoo

109 Nicole @ giraffelegs September 20, 2011

can’t stop staring…love oats love them…i think i would bathe in them..

110 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes September 20, 2011

Ahhhh you have so got me in the mood for Autumn with all of this deliciousness!

111 Becca September 20, 2011

I was JUST thinking this morning that I need to make a big batch of cooked steel cut oats for the week, rather than saving them for weekends when I have more time to make them fresh. Thank you for laying out the process for me.

Lately I’ve been making VOO with steel cut oats (rather than rolled), leading to a chewy parfait rather than a doughy one.

The cookie dough sauce sounds so yummy. I am going to make it tomorrow (or maybe tonight as part of dessert!).

112 Erin Hack September 20, 2011

Hi Angela – I love your website and I get so many wonderful ideas and recipes from it! I wanted to share my solution for steel cut oats. I bought a rice cooker with a timer so before I go to bed I load it up with steel cut oats, water, etc. and set the timer so I wake up to wonderfully warm oats. :)

113 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

That’s a great idea!

114 Eat Hike Sleep Repeat September 20, 2011

Great idea since I find that steel cut oats have more “staying power” than the rolled type. However, mornings require an instant breakfast idea so this fits! I really like the nut butter sauces. My oats are about to get a lot more interesting!

115 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

I too find they have more staying power!

116 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 20, 2011

Oh wow, Angela, they all look great…but Cinnamon Peanut Butter Swirl & the cookie dough GLAZE are making me wish I had some oatmeal siting in front of me right about now :)

117 Sarah September 20, 2011

I’ve been wanting to test out making steel cut oats but wasn’t sure what make ahead method to try. I’d heard of people making huge batches in their slow cooker, but I’m afraid they’d go to waste. This seems like the perfect work week quantity. Thanks for sharing!

118 Donna September 20, 2011

It’s a shame that steel cut oats are not a supermarket staple in the UK, I’d love to make some the night before to take into work for breakfast. I gave up trying to cook rolled oats in the microwave at work as it kept exploding, which didn’t make me very popular for a while!

119 Rachel September 20, 2011

I’ve ALWAYS wondered why you usually use rolled oats instead of steel cut. I definitely prefer steel cut. The least processed version of food I can find, the better!
These recipes look amazing! Now I just need it to cool off in SoCal so I can enjoy them. :-)

120 Molly @ RDexposed September 20, 2011

I haven’t had steel cut in over a year. I need to get back on the steel horse.

121 Kim September 20, 2011

Angela, your posts just keep getting better and better! I love them!! These are beautiful. Way to go !!

122 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

Thanks Kim! :)

123 karen September 20, 2011

thank you !!!
I ♥ so much oatmeal(s) – I almost always eat mine the same way so thank you very much for those recipes Angela.

124 Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf September 20, 2011

Oh my. That fall spice one looks really good! Unfortunately my doc has forbade me from eating carbs in the morning. Normally I’m not a big oatmeal fan, but the fact that I’m not “allowed” to eat it in the morning paired with how AWESOME that looks, I’m now drooling for an oatmeal breakfast. ;)

125 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 20, 2011

I want to come to your house for breakfast! lol. The cinnamon peanut butter swirl oats sound especially good!

126 Alaina September 20, 2011

I LOVE this post! I have one recipe for steel cut oats in the crock pot and now I can add some more to my recipe list!! Thank you Angela!! :-)

127 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 20, 2011

Their long cooking time has always turned me off of steel-cut oats too. But after hearing about how good they are on so many blogs, I really want to try them. Thanks for the make ahead recipe! :D

128 Tara @ Sweat like a Pig September 20, 2011

WOW those chocolate chip cookie dough oats look amazing. I’m pretty sure my trainer wouldn’t be happy with me if I had those though hahaha!

129 Leah September 20, 2011

Thank you for solving my dilemma of how to eat oats for breakfast at work without resorting to instant oats. Now that the chilly weather is returning I’ve been wanting to replace my green monsters with oats but don’t have much time to cook them in the am. You’re such a savior!

130 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

I hope it works out for you! I love making them at night…a big batch too.

131 Joann@womaninreallife September 20, 2011

I wish I was so hungry in the morning. I know the importance of eating breakfast, but sometimes it has to be in a smoothie (at least until 10:00 and then I more than compensate with muffins, scones, whatever). I do love oatmeal though. These recipes look yummy.

132 Amy@ahealthyandhappyheart September 20, 2011

I am so thankful for all your posts.. You are always so informative and your recipes are delicious!

133 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

134 Deb September 20, 2011

How funny – I bought my regular oats yesterday after picking up a tin of the steel cut variety and wondering whether they were any good. I’ll have to pick up some now that I’ve read your post and have some fantastic sounding recipes to try! Thanks!!

135 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

I’m glad you are going to try them! I’ve had the same canister in my cupboard for literally 2 years now! If I only knew I could make them ahead of time… ;)

136 Meagan September 20, 2011

I love oats, but although 1/2 a cup uncooked rolled oats (then cooked as norm) fills me up really well, I’m starving by 10am. Most cereals give me this problem. Do steel-cut oats have better staying power?

137 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

I do find they keep me full longer than rolled oats (I meant to put that in my post but forgot!)

138 sara September 20, 2011

THANK you for this inspiring post! I’m going to the kitchen to make these oats right now!!

139 jenna September 20, 2011

Mmm, Angela; I love your cookie dough glaze idea – simple and surely satisfying. I do oat bran, pumpkin and dark chocolate just about every morning now, and I think it’s time for a cookie dough switch up. Thanks, and happy Fall!

140 Lindsay September 20, 2011

My favorite is an apple pie steel cut oats recipe that I made up. I cook a week’s worth of steel cut oats in half water & half almond breeze with vanilla (a pod if I have) and a cinnamon stick. Once it is cooled I add shredded apple and some ground cinnamon and sometimes some sucanat. My coworkers are always envious when I reheat at the office!

141 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

Oh wow I bet that smells good. I need to replenish my vanilla bean stash! It makes such a difference.

142 robyn September 20, 2011

Yum,,,fave meal of the day! I’ve been eating steel cut and Quinoa mix for years(make ahead too). This year I started eating more seasonal so more of your softserves and overnighters since spring,,,there’s a bite in the air AND I’m going to try each and everyone of your new recipes AND can’t wait,,,,thank you!

143 Malia @ Life is good girl September 20, 2011

Ok, you are making me crave oats. But instead I must go to bed. I’ll be dreaming aobut that Cookie Dough Oatmeal!

144 Alexis @ hummusapien September 20, 2011

your photography is SO amazing–i just can’t get over it! Each recipe sounds better than the last one! YUMMMM oatmeal season!!

145 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

Thank you! It’s amazing what changing up the tea towels can do. hah ;)

146 stephanie September 21, 2011

i never make them for the exact same reason, but i think you just sold me on making some next week.your pictures are so pretty!

147 Hannah September 21, 2011

These look amazing, particularly the peanut butter swirl one! I’m confused, though, as to what you think a fresh prune is. Is that what we Aussies call a plum?

148 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

Yup it’s a plum (actually called a Prune plum for this variety!)

149 Emma (Emma+Jacob) September 21, 2011

OMG I’m drooling :D :D :D

150 Naina @ chow bella September 21, 2011

I have never had steel-cut oats before, but I think the chocolate chip cookie dough recipe is the perfect place to start!

151 anne September 21, 2011

Are you going to post your apple butter recipe?? I’ve got apples from the orchard that need to be used up! :)

152 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

I made another batch yesterday….still want to test out another method!
Yesterday’s was what I like to call ‘naked apple butter’ just apples and 1/4 cup apple juice on the bottom of the slow cooker.
I sliced (but did not peel) apples, threw into slow cooker for 4 hours on high, (it will turn into applesauce after 4 hours), cool slightly, scoop into blender, and blend until caramel-like.
Then I cooked on med-high for another 6-8 hours with the lid ajar.
Turned out beautiful. The only thing is it only made 3/4-1 cup! A tiny, tiny amount for the 5 pounds of apples.
I’m wondering if using more liquid like in some recipes will yield more butter? I’m going to try it once more probably using another recipe.

153 Sara September 21, 2011

I was planning on being productive this morning… now I’m headed to the kitchen to make oatmeal for the week. :) Thanks!

154 Jennifer Anchecta September 21, 2011

I love to cook them overnight in the crockpot w/ pumpkin and cinnamon or apple and applesauce. You wake up to the whole house smelling so good. You just toss everything in the crockpot and forget about it!

155 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

I love doing that too….that was what my first recipe was actually! The only thing I don’t like is cleaning the slow cooker.

156 Anne Weber-Falk September 21, 2011

It all looks so good. Fabulous post and your photos, especially the Fall Spice variety, look beautiful. I have something new to add to my breakfast routine. Thank you very much.
Peace,
Anne WF

157 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

Thanks Anne :)

158 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 21, 2011

In the winter I make enough to last the week. I do plain though, so I can flavor differently each day.

159 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers September 21, 2011

Thanks! That fall spice one won me over, and I haven’t even tried it yet!

160 Diana @ frontyardfoodie September 21, 2011

I seriously have GOT to switch to steel cut oats…..the less processed the better.

I’m sure my son would love them too.

161 Living, Learning, Eating September 21, 2011

Your oatmeal bowls look deelish!

162 Jodie September 21, 2011

Great recipes thanks. Not sure if you knew this but I cam across one of your yummy recipes here: http://vitaljuice.com/entry_detail/recipes/12230/These_no_bake_bites_require_just_one_bowl_.htm

163 Veggie V! @Veggie V's Vegan Adventure September 21, 2011

I love steel cut oats too, but I don’t make them often due to the time issue. Making ahead is a great idea! I wasn’t sure how well they’d reheat. Glad to know they’re still chewy and not a big ol’ pile of mush (although I do love me some big ol’ piles of mush – on occasion).

Love that you used prunes in something. I love prunes and think they’re a terribly underutilized fruit.

164 Jessica September 21, 2011

Gah! These oats looks g-oats-tious! lol

165 Magda September 21, 2011

Love every kind of oatmeal :) I’m going to make Fall Spice tomorrow. I can’t believe you just tried a fresh prune for the first time :D I eat a ton a day when they are in season

166 Beach Bum Beauty September 21, 2011

You’re turning me into something of an oat addict but I have to say my fave is the chocolate one YUM

167 Cate September 21, 2011

Gorgeous pictures, as always. :)

OSG, may I ask your favorite brand of vegan chocolate chips?

168 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

I buy them in bulk from ontario natural food coop. Their organic dark choco chips :)

169 Inaru September 21, 2011

Although I am not a vegan, I absolutely love the recipes on your blog. The variations on oatmeal really motivated me to refresh my breakfast go-to’s. The result was my own version of a PB&J oatmeal. Thanks!

170 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011

Thank you Inaru :) I’m glad you are enjoying the recipes!

171 Tatomme @ Fresh Potater September 21, 2011

Cinnamon peanut butter swirl?! Cinnamon almond butter sauce?? Oh my gosh…Swirls and sauces immediately amp up any dish. I cannot wait to try these concoctions!!!! :)

172 SueAnn C September 21, 2011

These look great! I love oatmeal, sometimes even for dinner! Thanks for sharing!

173 Jennifer September 21, 2011

I’m totally making the fall-spice tomorrow. thanks for all the recipes!

174 Diane September 22, 2011

Thank you for this wonderful idea! I have had steel cut oats in my pantry forever without an idea of what to do with them. I printed this recipe off yesterday and made them last night! I love it! I actually ate half a serving with a spoonful of peanut butter and it was delicious!! I can’t wait to try your add ons to the recipe! Thanks so much – this will be a staple this winter!!

175 LizAshlee September 22, 2011

I am loving oats these days!! Perfectly warm and satisfying…love that you have chocolate chip cookie dough…I think this would be my fav!

176 Brittany Sanders September 22, 2011

Thanks for this post – I hadn’t had steel cut oats in so long and this make-ahead recipe works perfectly for busy mornings!

177 Karen Cohen September 22, 2011

I was inspired by your post and I made steel cut oats last night but instead of the banana I cut up two apples into bit sized pieces and added a touch of agave and lots of cinnamon. instant Apple Cinnamon oats and it taste like pie today

178 Angela September 22, 2011

Oh yummy, can’t wait to try all of them! So saw the Cookie Dough version coming :D
I am a Cookie Dough fanatic too!

179 Anna September 22, 2011

Your first prune! Congrats! :)
And I have to try that Cinnamon Peanut Butter Swirl… I can’t really plan trying new things in the morning because I often have strong tendencies towards breakfasts I can’t predict the night before… but if I’m feeling peanutty, I’m definitely doin’ it.

180 Megan@eatmybeets September 23, 2011

mmm those combinations look amazing! I may have to start making my oatmeal the night before as well.

181 Leslie Paquette September 26, 2011

I love steel cut oats! I’ve made them many times the night before and then reheated or eaten them cold the next morning. I’ve always used just water so really enjoyed the addition of almond milk. I followed your recipe exactly and was really pleased with the results. I topped my bowl with 1/2 a chopped banana and 1 serving of PB2 mixed with almond milk. Tomorrow I think I’ll add some chopped nuts since the oats could have used a little more cruchy texture. It’s been 2 1/2 hours since breakfast and I’m still really full :)

182 hannah @meager pumpkin September 26, 2011

The Fall Spice currant and prune sounds absolutely scrumptious!
I’ve been a-cravin’ some prunes lately (is that a little odd?!) and what better then in some nice hot autumn oaties!!

183 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 27, 2011

I have to try those chocolate chip cookie dough steel cut oats!!!!!!

184 Isabelle May 19, 2012

hi Angela.
thanks for more yummy recipes.
a question about almond butter. So far, all the almond butter I have bought are pretty hard (at the moment I have the PC blue menu one). And not only is it hard to scoop out but it ‘s even harder to mix as there are always “lumps”.
In know that in France they have some blanched almond butter which is whiter and much smoother but can’t seem to be able find it here. Is there a brand you would recommend?
Thanks for your help
Isa

185 Allie July 9, 2012

I put steel cut oats in the crockpot…very delicious. 2c soy milk 2.5 cups water 1 cup oats…chia seeds….cinnamon and vanilla

186 Maureen September 5, 2012

Thanks so much for the Steel cut oats recipe, I tried it this morning and never knew what I was missing. I love oatmeal and have never added the almond milk to it. I always do lots of seeds and dried fruit. The mashed bananas were a real treat. My two year old had a bit and is now sitting at the table with her own bowl (giving me a minute to write this). Can’t wait to start trying so of your other recipes.

187 Kristin September 12, 2012

I bought some steel-cut oats at Whole Foods and searched for recipes online and stumbled upon your site. What a great find! I made the Make Ahead and ate it as soon as it was finished and it was delicious. No need for sugar or any additions. Thanks!

188 liz September 22, 2012

Because this site is awesome, I’ll share a hot cereal tip. This is how they do it in Haiti.
Make oatmeal–not instant, old fashioned. While cooking add a few whole star anise.
Try it! Simple and amazing. The beauty about this one is you can wash the star anise
and reuse it.

189 Reigh October 1, 2012

Holy crow! I woke up this morning and while I was laying in bed I decided to google some new oatmeal recipes, stumbled upon this one! I made the peanut butter one and I was just about licking the bowl clean!! I’ll be forwarding this page to everyone I know :D

190 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 1, 2012

aw thank you so much!

191 Emily October 12, 2012

Hi! I just wanted to thank you for this post– I came across it via Pinterest a few months ago and decided to try it out. I’ve been doing it almost every week since then, and it has really changed my mornings! I love having such a healthy & delicious breakfast ready to eat in seconds. I feel great all day & it has helped me achieve my goal of consistent healthy eating. Thank you so much!

192 Jesse November 21, 2012

I tried the basic recipe with rolled spelt instead of oats..I’m not sure it worked..Have you used rolled spelt?

193 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

I dont think I have. What was it like?

194 Jesse November 22, 2012

It looks like rolled oats but is caramel-coloured, and hard! I’ll try soaking it more..

195 Jennifer Houser March 4, 2013

Hi! Love this recipe, and I am addicted to the Berry Almond Bliss! This is the only oatmeal recipe that does not leave me hungry after one hour. I have also topped it with your Coconut Whipped Cream too! Thanks!

196 katie March 20, 2013

Do you know the nutritional facts on this, like calories per serving and all that jazz?

197 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 21, 2013

Hi Katie, Im sorry I don’t have it calculated…you can check out check out caloriecount.com it’s a free service and easy to use.

198 Babychupes April 14, 2013

Have you tried a peach version of this? My little one is asking for peach oatmeal.

199 Olivia July 22, 2013

Hello!! I’m actually currently making your make-ahead steel-cut oats recipe! I didn’t have flax or chia seeds and was wondering if they were just for taste or nutrition :) It smells heavenly in here right now! I can’t wait to grab a bowl for my breakfast!

200 Trisha March 19, 2014

Hi! I came across this post recently when I was looking for a recipe to make my oats ahead of time. I tried it last night and had them this morning and I was amazed and how good they were! The banana gave the perfect amount of sweetness and they were so creamy. Thank you for this recipe!!!

201 Shelby April 2, 2014

Angela,
I love these recipes! I used to eat oatmeal then I strayed for some reason!
Question is: i’ve seen a lot of recipes that ate for overnight oats that don’t require any cooking. Just mix steel cut with almond milk and it’s ready in the am. Do you know this method? What way makes a better texture? Thanks!

202 Terri December 2, 2014

Just found your site and am making a list of recipes to try. Thank you!. Working with a cinnamon allergy, any ideas on a good alternative for your oatmeal recipes?

203 Carissa January 13, 2015

I’ve also found that these freeze really well in single portions. This makes it easy to have a couple times a week. I used to hate oatmeal till I discovered steel cut (less mushy). Although it may have had something to do with my discovery of adding 1tbsp chocolate chips, scoop of peanut butter and 1/2 chopped banana. Those are also some of my favorite summer smoothie ingredients. I’m excited to try some of yours too Angela!

204 sharlene March 9, 2015

Have you ever made them in the crockpot so they are not so mushy? I tried doing the overnight and I think I need to cut the water down so they come out dryer and chewy versus mushy and lots liquid. Perhaps the rice cooker on white rice setting is what I should try. Has anyone tried this? Any ideas what to do with this wallpaper paste mush I have so I don’t have to throw it out?

205 jean June 3, 2015

I know this is an older post but did you know you can cook a batch of steel cut oats in the oven and not have to stir it or worry about scorching the pan. I usually put about an inch of steel cut oats in a loaf pan, cover it with 2 inches or a bit more water, heat the oven to 350 degrees and cook it for 40 minutes which is just about right. Then I have oats for the entire week. It holds up well in the oven and there is no messy pan to scrape and clean.

206 Karen Kulchisky February 15, 2016