5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

20101108IMG 0034 thumb thumb   5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

There’s a chill in the air.

Actually, that’s a lie because it’s quite warm outside as I write this post. I’m in a tank top and shorts right now! Hardly Fall temperatures, but then again it’s still summer for another week.

However, tomorrow morning is supposed to be a classic Fall morning- crisp, 8C, sunny, and full with promise. The promise of hot oatmeal. Cinnamon. Maybe stinky fuzzy slippers. That’s a perfect Fall morning to me.

I’ve been on a huge hot oatmeal kick these days. The other morning, I was busy working on a mushroom recipe challenge and Eric graciously offered to make me some oatmeal for breakfast. In other words, I begged him until he finally gave in. I love when men just offer to make things out of the blue like that, don’t you? ;)

I may have uttered the words, “I’m going to waste away to nothing” in a moment of desperation.

“Ok, but don’t blame me if it doesn’t taste good…” he said, slinking off to the kitchen with my Apple Pie Oatmeal recipe clutched in his hand. It wasn’t looking good.

And you know what?

IMG 1787 thumb   5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

The oatmeal didn’t taste good either.

IMG 1788 thumb   5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

It tasted like the best damn bowl of oatmeal I’ve ever had!!

Why does it always taste better when someone else makes it? Seriously, I need to know. He also sprinkled it with crunchy Sucanat which was genius. Or maybe he sprinkled it with pixy love dust! Needless to say, I gushed so much about this bowl of oatmeal Eric had a grin on his face the entire morning. He has now conquered his oatmeal-making fears. It was a win-win all around.

In honour of chilly mornings, here are my 5 favourite hot oatmeal recipes of all time. (in this case, “all-time” isn’t that long considering I used to hate hot oatmeal until 2010, but let’s just go with it.)

5) Comforting Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

This pumpkin oatmeal is like a warm hug on a cold morning. Or maybe I’m just lonely. Infused with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and vanilla extract, it’s like eating a slice of warm pumpkin pie in oatmeal form. I love topping it with a teaspoon of Earth Balance, pecans, and a drizzle of almond milk.

20101108IMG 0034 thumb thumb1   5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

4) Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Last Winter, I was craving my favourite sweet potato casserole in a major way. The only snag? It was 7:15am. I looked at the sweet potato, it looked at me…I looked at it again. And I turned that craving into a delicious weekend breakfast.

IMG 1394 thumb   5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

3) Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

A sneaky way to get a serving of vegetables in your morning oatmeal. You can’t taste the zucchini, but it does a lovely job of bulking up this voluminous bowl of oatmeal.

IMG 8605 thumb   5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

2) Apple Pie Oatmeal

Even better when someone else makes it for you! It’s ok to beg sometimes.

IMG 9758 thumb thumb   5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

and my favourite bowl of hot oatmeal goes to…

1) Carrot Cake Oatmeal

This one is for all the carrot cake fans out there! Creamy, crunchy, chewy, and sweet, this recipe packs in a full cup of carrots and a handful of healthy ingredients that will keep you feeling full for hours. It is quite a large portion, so I place the leftovers into the fridge and enjoy it as a snack the next day (it’s good cold too!).

IMG 6608 thumb   5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

Strapped for time?

For an ‘instant’ bowl of hot oatmeal, just mix up a batch of Vegan Overnight Oats before bed and place it in the fridge. In the morning, heat it in the microwave for 60-90 seconds, add your toppings/sweetener, and go! No stove-top cooking required.

The overnight soaking softens and thickens the oats, similar to cooking, meaning that you don’t need to stir over a stove-top for 10 minutes. The consistency won’t be as creamy as it would be cooked on a stove-top, but it’s still a good substitute in a pinch. If you don’t want to use the microwave, you can just reheat it for a couple minutes on the stove-top too.

And if it’s still too warm where you are to enjoy a hot bowl of oats, you can try one of my 12 Vegan Overnight Oats recipes which are great on warmer mornings.

IMG 0298 thumb thumb   5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

What are your favourite things to mix into oatmeal? What flavour of oatmeal should I make next?

Nicole @ giraffelegs September 14, 2011

perfect post!! Love oatmeal so much, I eat it every day. I tried your sweet potato recipe and fell in love..we are getting married.

Lia September 14, 2011

So basically, my boyfriend hates oatmeal but eats it practically every morning because he has not broadened his breakfast horizons. I showed him smoothies and his life changed. But now I want to show him that oatmeal can be more than the taste of oats and water and sometimes peanut butter. I just e-mailed this link to him. Let’s hope it changes his life and he becomes an oatmeal lover. ;) You’re awesome

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2011

I hope so too!

Molly @ RDexposed September 14, 2011

I’m not sure if I’ve ever asked the boy to make ME oatmeal. I’m not sure I would want to risk a single morning of bad oats.

Melissa Cashin September 14, 2011

mmmm i love making apple pie oats! I always put a blob of apple butter with mine though.. Peanut butter and jelly oats are pretty good too. But have you ever tried savory oats?!? I love them! Oats with some salt , pepper, sometimes a little soy sauce, and (fake) cheese with an egg on top.. I know you don’t eat eggs, but maybe some with tempeh bacon on top?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

I LOVE savoury oats!! I have a Mexican inspired recipe on the blog and it’s my go to for a warm lunch. mmmmm. I havent had any for breakfast yet though!

Kathy September 14, 2011

I’ve tried all but the zucchini bread oatmeal on your list, and I just love them, esp the sweet potato and carrot cake one.
…you know…this sounds so much better than the pancakes I make every Sunday that I freeze and take out the following night so it can thaw…Darn school! I can never wake up early enough actually cook up a bowl of oats, but that quick pinch tip sure sounds good!

mary @ what's cookin with mary September 14, 2011

You’re making me want breakfast for dinner ! I haven’t had any hot oats since last winter. Looking forward to trying out your Apple Pie Oatmeal. Who could resist those tasty little bits of apple-y goodness.

Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit September 14, 2011

There is most definitely a chill in the air, I made a version of “carrot muffin oatmeal” yesterday for breakfast as well – with garden fresh carrots! NUM!

JenATX September 14, 2011

oatmeal is so comforting & homey… ahhhhh :) One of my fav things in the winter is waking up, making my oatmeal, and eating it under the covers while I watch the morning news (yes, I eat my breakfast in bed sometimes, don’t judge!)

Kristi @lifesprinkles September 14, 2011

These look absolutely delicious!! I’m going to get right on the carrot cake oatmeal! :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes September 15, 2011

I love oatmeal and all of these look to die for- yum!

Miranda @MirandaGibson September 15, 2011

The only plus side to a chilly morning is a warm bowl of oatmeal. I’ve been enjoying walnut, banana, raisin lately *yum*! :D

Cassandra September 15, 2011

I think you read my mind! I had my first bowl of warm oatmeal yesterday morning (basically what I put in the overnight kind — almond milk, protein powder, carob, chia, cinnamon, raisins, and/or sometimes frozen blueberries). The weather changed so fast here in Chicago, and I love the season of fall, but I don’t know if I’m ready to give up summer yet! :)

Beach Bum Beauty September 15, 2011

I make your overnight recipe and then my wonderful husband heats it up on the stove for me. It starts my day off perfectly xx

Becky September 15, 2011

“Favourite” is my favourite way of spelling “favourite”. ;-)

The carrot cake oatmeal looks amazing! I rarely have time in the morning to get so creative, but I may just have to make that over the weekend. Ahh, the joy of oats – truly one of life’s simple pleasures!

Emily September 15, 2011

I made the Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole last night but I used organic canned pumpkin instead sweet potato. I’m having it for breakfast right now and it is DELICIOUS!
Thank you for yet another stellar recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2011

Glad you enjoyed it!

Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY September 15, 2011

I’m impressed with your creativity with oatmeal. Zucchini! Sweet potatoes! Oh my!

That said, I’m not on the oatmeal bandwagon, I find that my body just doesn’t work well with carbs first thing in the morning. Though I seem to be unable to turn down bagels and cream cheese, they don’t leave me feeling my best.

Karen September 15, 2011

Here’s a zingor for you…
I love oatmeal and all these recipes sound fabulous! However, I like to use steel cut oats which take a lot longer to cook than old fashioned rolled oats.

Any tips for adjusting the cooking method/times?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2011

I hope to have a post up tomorrow about this!

Jess September 15, 2011

I think this is going to be an absolute perfect way to get my 3 year old the nutrients she needs! She loves oatmeal so this could be kismet. Looking forward to trying out several, and finding many more of your recipes to implement into our rotations.

Stacey Shaffer September 16, 2011

I like peanut butter and banana sandwiches and think that would make an excellent base for oatmeal. I love all of your oatmeals by the way:)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 16, 2011

I love mixing PB into oatmeal.

Some of my favourite oatmeal combinations that I have made have been:

Smores Oatmeal
Mocha Coconut Oatmeal
Creme Brulee Oatmeal
Chocolate Banana Cream Pie Oatmeal

Margy Rose September 17, 2011

Savory oatmeal: load up your cooking oatmeal with finely chopped veggies (I like frozen peas, shredded carrots, broccoli and shredded zucchini) few of your fav spices(I love smoked paprika, basil, and turmeric) and throw some cottage cheese in towards the end of cooking. Top it with eggs cooked your fav way and I never forget the hot sauce. Gives my oatmeal that extra protein I need and that keeps me really full.

Katie @ BloomEveryday September 17, 2011

Perfect breakfast(s)!

Kelsey September 17, 2011

All of these look delish! I just posted my first post on pumpkin oatmeal and my picture looks not as good as your’s. I’ll have to get some photography tips from you :) great blog- thanks for posting!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 18, 2011

haha dont worry mine usually doesnt look that photogenic! ;) Must have been a good day

Karina September 18, 2011

id love if you made a chocolate-y oatmeal!

Heather September 18, 2011

I just recently found your website and decided to try out the hot pumpkin pie oatmeal on Sunday. Flavor explosion! Oh wow! I’m in love with this oatmeal! Thank god I bought a lot of pumpkin!

I’m not even done with it yet, and I needed to rave about it. I can’t wait to try the others!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2011

Glad you enjoyed it Heather!

Megan Wtsn September 21, 2011

I made the apple pie oatmeal today and i was surprised that it made so much! It will definitely keep me full. I think it would be good to make for someone else too!

What about a banana fosters oatmeal?

I have done something like that before by cooking banana slices in agave and then pouring over cooked oatmeal and topping with walnuts. I don’t know how similar it is to the real banana fosters, but I loved the cooked banana flavor!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

I agree, the apple pie makes a ton!!! Love the volume food :)

Esther October 20, 2011

I made the carrot cake oatmeal today…HEAVEN!!
I can’t wait to make this for friends and fam for the holidays. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2011

Hey Esther, Im happy to hear that!

Andrew MacLeod May 3, 2012

Well there is another recipe and a favourite in Scotland. Normally used as a side dish but you can eat a bowl if you like as a meal, it’s delicious.

You will need pinhead oatmeal (not the flakes) just the ground oatmeal. For 1 cup add 1 small chopped onion and mix together with some oil (just enought to cover all the oatmeal).

Microwave on medium for about 5 minutes or to the consistency you prefer and until there is a nutty taste……stir a couple of times during cooking, add salt and that’s it done..perfect ‘skirlie’ as it is known.

I like to add it to bouled cabbage or mashed potatoes…yum!!!!! A dish you will use again and again.

BOB October 15, 2012

i am a guy

Jenc January 30, 2013

I don’t have measurements as I kind of wing it, but I adapted this from oatmeal I bought at Whole Foods and I love, love it!

Quick oats
Almond milk
Brown Sugar
Coconut (shaved or shredded)
Dried cherries
Slivered or sliced almonds
Vanilla
Chia seeds
Pinch of salt

A lot of ingredients, but so worth it! :)

Page 4 of 4«1234