5 Make-Ahead Vegan & Gluten-Free Lunches: Part 2

Untitled-4

Welcome to Part 2 of my Make-ahead lunch series!  For Part 1: Sunday Prep + Monday & Tuesday’s Lunches, see this post.

Thank you for your enthusiastic feedback in my first post! I guess I’m not the only one who has been eating the same lunch for the past several weeks, months, years… ;) This challenge has been just the kick in the butt that I needed.

Next up, we’re getting over the hump with a protein-packed lunch.

IMG_1771

In the original recipe, I used wheat berries and I preferred it to the brown rice. If you don’t need a gluten-free recipe, I suggest using wheatberries if you can, but use whatever grain that floats your boat.

IMG_1770

Love juicy pears!

And because no week is complete without a big salad, Thursday packs in a bounty of vegetables while strategically leaving room for chocolate…muhauha.

IMG_1772

This is a high volume lunch and one that I will split up into lunch plus a snack or two.

IMG_1774

For Friday’s lunch, I used up any leftover grains or beans that I hadn’t used (you can also do this for dinners throughout the week).

IMG_1778

IMG_1780

This concludes my first Lunch Series on the blog! I hope this has inspired you to add some variety into your own lunches. You can use my lunch recipes for inspiration in your own kitchen and whenever possible use the ingredients you already have lurking in your fridge and cupboards. The recipes I posted are simply suggestions and can be adapted quite a bit. Also, if you find yourself with a lot of leftover cooked grains and beans, you can freeze them (in an air-tight bag or container). Just defrost overnight in the fridge and heat as necessary.

Lunch tends to be my biggest meal of the day because that’s when I’m the most hungry (likely due to my A.M. workouts), but feel free to tailor it to your specific portion needs too. I also like to split up some of the food, so I have a snack mid-morning or a snack late-afternoon to spread it out.

Happy Dining!

1 Laura September 12, 2011

So much fresh inspiration!

2 Mallory September 12, 2011

Love all of these lunch ideas! Thanks for doing this!

3 Brittany *Sparkles* September 12, 2011

yummy I want to make that pita!!

4 Rachel September 12, 2011

Gorgeous! Best blog posts I’ve seen anywhere in weeks–I’m feeling really inspired to transform my mid-day eats now. Keep up the great work. :)

5 Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather September 12, 2011

I love this series! Can I hop over and have lunch with you :). The big Thursday salad looks out if this world!!

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2011

Sure I have lots of food for you…heh ;)

7 rachel @ sweettarte September 12, 2011

Wow–I had almost exactly the Lentil Power Salad for lunch today! (Spinach, red pepper, tomato, carrot, lentils, avocado, walnuts, craisins–and it was delicious). I love this series of posts–thanks for all of the great ideas.

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2011

Nice! What did you use for dressing?

9 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 12, 2011

I’m loving these posts!! That lentil salad looks perfect!

10 Laura September 12, 2011

Been waiting all day to see how you finished the week! I am super excited to try some recipes. I’ve been so lazy with meals lately that eating isn’t fun. These should help me get back on track.

11 Katie September 12, 2011

These look fabulous!
Were you at the Toronto Vegetarian Food Festival on the weekend by any chance? I’m a huge fan of your blog so when I went on Sunday I kept an eye out for you! :P

Also, I’m in full-fall mode here which = PUMPKIN! I’ve already made your pumpkin butter (deeeelish), pumpkin butter oat bars (DOUBLE deelish) and recreated your pumpkin spice latte! :D Thank you for all the recipes, I looooove them! :)

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2011

Glad you are loving the pumpkin!

I wasn’t able to make the veg fest as I had a prior commitment. So sad I missed it!

13 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 12, 2011

Yum! I definetly love both recipes! Great pictures :)

14 Ashley September 12, 2011

Wow! All these recipes look amazing, and are just what I’ve been needing. Lunchtime seems to be the time when I simply cannot figure out what to eat– and what will keep my full until dinner. The snacks, especially the trail mix, are a fabulous idea for that 3 pm hour that is a huge slump in energy for me!
I’m really excited to try these recipes out:) Great job!

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2011

I love the trail mix around 3:30-4pm…perfect pick me up!

16 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 12, 2011

I love that each of these are so well-balanced :) You’ve got some great idea– perfect for me to bring on campus

17 Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab September 12, 2011

That pita looks so good! I like the idea of mixing together the hummus with the grains and beans!

18 Heather (Where's the Beach) September 12, 2011

Love this – everything is so simple but healthy and looks delicious!

19 Britt @ runwithbritt September 12, 2011

I love these ideas! They are all so balanced, quick to prepare, and perfect to take to school. Thanks for saving me from my lunch rut!

20 Stormy @Maoomba September 12, 2011

These look fantastic! Thanks for the ideas.

21 Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 12, 2011

such a wonderful wonderful series! Thankyou for sharing! I will be sure to refer bak to these posts when planning my lunches xx

22 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 12, 2011

This is fantastic! Love that lentil dish especially. Lunch is typically my biggest meal too and I’m always looking for dishes I can make ahead to bring to work.

23 Megan @ The Detoxinista September 12, 2011

Love all the lunch ideas! I’m definitely guilty of eating the SAME meals over, and over, and over…. and over. ;)

Thanks for the fresh inspiration!

24 Amy Wolff September 12, 2011

I’m so glad you said the was your first lunch series, implying there will be more! My daughter is always looking for healthy lunches to pack for school and I need some for at home. I can’t wait to try these recipes!

25 Moni'sMeals September 12, 2011

Love these lunch ideas! Just like you Lunch too is usually my biggest meal. :)

26 Ashley September 12, 2011

These lunches are so creative + colorful. Nowadays my lunches are completely random!

27 stacey September 12, 2011

i’m slowly transitioning into a vegan/ plant strong diet… thank you for such yummy looking make-ahead meal ideas. as a nurse in labor and delivery- we do 12 hour shifts… by the time i get home at night making a lunch for the next day is the last thing i want to do :)

28 Shruti September 12, 2011

I struggle big time to make something that leaves me full for atleast 4hours. I was thinking the lack of protein is to be blamed. I want to try your protein-pumped lunch menu for this week and see if it makes any difference.

29 Kate September 12, 2011

the pita sounds delish!!

30 Kassidy September 12, 2011

I’ve been trying to eat gluten/dairy free and these lunch posts have been perfect, thank you! I can’t wait to try the brown rice salad.

31 jackie hatch! September 12, 2011

LOVE THIS! all of it…

32 allison September 12, 2011

I have loved all the new lunch ideas!! The only thing i don’t like is that i know my boyfriend will like them too so I’ll have to share;);) Just kidding, i totally dont mind sharing……….

33 Holly @ The Runny Egg September 12, 2011

I love this set of lunches as well — they look way healthier (and much more appetizing) than what I’ve been eating for lunch for quite a while.

34 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 12, 2011

Another gorgeous spread of food, recipes, and photography!

You rock, lady. Seriously.

Thanks for doing this for all of your readers :)

35 bitt of raw September 12, 2011

I WISH there was a GF vegan pita. There isn’t. :-( thanks for your recipes being xgfx though!

36 worldbysmith September 12, 2011

this was a REALLY amazing series. I’m not GF but I am on a eating plan that is surprisingly identical to what you’ve laid out here. Ideas I’ve never thought of before that make some of my mundane staples seem exciting. THANKS for the effort with this post. I hope you will consider more of these in the future. AWESOME!

37 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh September 12, 2011

Now look what you did, I’m full from dinner but you made me hungry again!! ;)

38 Rebecca September 12, 2011

This is awesome. My mom cooked up a big batch of brown rice and chickpeas today AND chopped up a cucumber. Looks like I’m right on track for Wed’s Back on Track salad :) Thanks for doing this series…I’m going to put those kids at the college cafeteria to shame ;)

39 Judy September 12, 2011

I just love the great lunch ideas. Thank you for the awesome ideas!

40 Liz @ Something To Chew On September 12, 2011

You make me so hungry :) excellent ideas, thank you! I needed some!

41 Shelby stillians September 12, 2011

You are a saint! Great ideas here and in many of your blog posts. I have been vegan for almost 9 months and I love finding new, innovative recipes (and vegan/health inspired blogs) Thank you!!

42 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 12, 2011

Again, great ideas Ange! I love the Back On Track Wheatberry salad, and I boiled up a bunch of grains on the weekend so I might use them in these recipes. I think I need to get me some pitas!! Thanks for the suggestions – everything looks beautiful. :)

43 Jessica September 12, 2011

All great ideas, I love the whole lunch planning + menu series, really gives me some inspirations for lunches, thanks so much for putting it all together! And how colorful and delicious does that pita look, YUM!

44 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove September 12, 2011

I love that pita recipe. It seems so easy that it would be silly not to make it for lunch one day!

45 Kelly September 12, 2011

I’m bookmarking this so that when I get back to having my weekends free I can do this. Thank you for taking the time to do this. It’s amazing how complacent we all get with eating the same thing day in and day out. I think I had the same salad every day all summer long.

BTW – this weekend I made your tortilla soup and zucchini. Both were big hits! I love your recipes. Thank you!!

46 Mrs.CJ September 12, 2011

Simply amazing! Thank you for posting this!

47 gala September 12, 2011

soo happy for you to share this! i have no idea how to eat healthy, and reading this article really gave me hope to give it another shot!

48 Emily September 12, 2011

Great ideas Angela! I am no longer eating vegetarian, but I often pack vegan meals when I have class/nights on the go during the school year. These ideas are a breath of fresh air into my usual routine :)

49 Steph @ Running in the Kitchen September 12, 2011

Angela you are amazing!!!!! i recently watched Forks Over Knives and my boyfriend and I are slowly making our way towards a more vegetarian/vegan diet. Slowwwwwly.

I was actually thinking about emailing you for a “vegan starter kit” for non-vegans. These posts couldn’t have come at a better time.

Thank you for being so inspiring and thoughtful in everything you do!

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

A vegan starter kit is a great idea!

51 Silvia September 13, 2011

Would love to see a vegan starter kit too…

52 DG September 13, 2011

I begged for something similar yesterday, a starter kit that includes important information about getting enough nutrition etc for a beginner.

53 Steph @ Running in the Kitchen September 13, 2011

Angela, I will forever be your slave if you do it!!!!!!

54 caitlin September 12, 2011

So awesome, I looooove this! I keep asking my friend who is a dietetics student for a weekly menu, will definitely have to show her this!!

55 Shady September 12, 2011

Excellent ideas Angela. I also wanted to mention that you don’t need to prepare your legumes on a weekly basis. I prep large batches of bulk beans and freeze them in muffin tins in their own cooking water. When frozen, I toss them into a ziplock bag. And voila! Instant access to meal building staples.

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

That’s such a good idea! I will mention this.

57 vegirl September 12, 2011

I am lucky enough to work in a cafe full of “vegirl food” (meaning all vegan and pretty healthy) so I don’t have to really worry about packing a lunch. I don’t even spend any money to eat there– I just eat the broken stuff, extra bits and pieces of smoothies and foods we can’t use, etc. And I get a free cup of soup every shift :D

In any case, thank you for the inspiration in this post! I have been trying to switch it up (if only a bit) lately, and this post is chocked full o’ good stuff!

58 blossjoss September 12, 2011

Awesome.

59 Meisha Moo September 12, 2011

These 2 post will make my life soooooo much easier!!!! You make being Vegan seem like a breeze! thanks!!!

60 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 12, 2011

I love this series! Thanks for making it gluten-free too!

61 Cristal September 12, 2011

Love this post Angela! If this is possible, could you provide an estimate of calorie counts?

62 Tiffany September 12, 2011

Brilliant Lunch Series — thank you!

63 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 12, 2011

I’m 2 days into classes and already I’m in a rut of packing hummus and pita sandwiches. :P Thanks for the great ideas!

64 Mackenzie @ Eat. Exercise. Evolve September 12, 2011

You have no idea how useful these two posts were for me. THANK YOU.

65 Liz September 12, 2011

THANK YOU ANGELA! I loved these past two Lunch series posts!! As a college student I have to frequently pack my lunch or take it on the go, so these ideas are SO HELPFUL for me! Hope you keep more posts likes these coming!

66 CareyBerry September 12, 2011

This is so great. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

67 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 12, 2011

What a great blog! I was planning in advance but got kind of lazy with the summer weather. I am going to start up again. Thanks for inspiring me!

68 Brittany September 12, 2011

These posts are so helpful! I just went back to college and have been struggling with healthy lunch ideas. It’s so easy to avoid vegetables when packing a lunch. I can’t wait to try these recipes. Thanks! :)

69 Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie September 12, 2011

You have made me so excited to pack my lunches! It has been way too long since I’ve had a pita sandwich!

70 Kata September 13, 2011

Hi Angela,

Have you tried ombar? They are really delicious.

Love the post and thank you for your effort putting it together.

71 Carina@veggiegourmetkitchen September 13, 2011

Hello Angela,

did you make the hummus yourself? It looks yummy and I am still looking for the best recipe :) (maybe you already posted a good one and I just didn’t see it..Sorry!)

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

@ Kata- No I haven’t…is it a chocolate bar?

@Carina- The roasted red pepper hummus recipe is here: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/09/09/ultra-creamy-red-pepper-hummus-how-to-roast-peppers/

and my go-to (aka all time fav) hummus is here: http://ohsheglows.com/2010/12/04/the-hummus-that-changed-everything/

Enjoy!

73 Kata September 13, 2011

Sorry, yes it is :) Check it out here ombar.co.uk

74 Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen September 13, 2011

Theses all look amazing and would make anyone’s co-workers jealous during lunch time. I think I’m going to have to try them all!

75 Shawna September 13, 2011

They all look so good. Will you come over and cook with me? : )
Thanks so much for sharing. Have a wonderful week.

76 Diana @ Run4Life September 13, 2011

Loving all the recipe inspiration I’ve been getting from your blog lately! Made your carrot apple soup the other day and can already tell it’s going to be a new fall/ winter obsession. Also, your roasted tomato basil pesto is to. die. for. I stuffed some (read: a lot) into a portabella mushroom cap and roasted in the oven for about 20 minutes. It was OMG amazing. Will be putting these lunch recipes on my “must make ASAP” list!

77 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

That’s a great idea re: stuffing mushrooms with it!

78 Diana @ Run4Life September 13, 2011

Thanks! I thought you would like it. I needed a new vehicle to transport the pesto from plate to mouth and had already exhausted the pasta/ toast/ spoon options. I figured I would share as a thank you for bringing that pesto into my life <3

79 Alex @ Raw Recovery September 13, 2011

I love these! Probably your most helpful post yet!

80 JenATX September 13, 2011

now who wouldn’t want to eat that lunch? so pretty! i love the glassware… presentation really does wonders when making any lunch appealing

81 em @ simplypresent September 13, 2011

These all look wonderful (great pictures)! Thanks for sharing! I think I’m going to try the brown rice and chickpea salad first.

82 Elizabeth September 13, 2011

Lovely!! I printed them all out for the kiddos.
Peace and Raw Health,
Elizabeth

83 Kristi September 13, 2011

That is hilarious! I spent like $5 on that exact same caramel chocolate bar, and threw it away because it was awful!

84 Kathryn C. September 13, 2011

Thank you for all of the wonderful ideas for lunches! I have been wanting ideas for lunches for work, this is a big help.

85 Grace September 13, 2011

Angela, you are a genius. You make healthy eating look effortless which is what w all wish for! Thanks for the great suggestions : )

86 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes September 13, 2011

Some very tasty lunches in this post!

87 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes September 13, 2011

These pictures are gorgeous!! And everything looks so delicious!

88 Crystal Desruisseau September 13, 2011

Hey!
With fall and chilly weather around the corner (sad face) I am wondering if you have ideas for some healthy and warm comfort food?

89 Marcy September 13, 2011

I have been following your blog since the spring and the recipes that I have tried have been great! I am not a vegan or even vegetarian but love incorperating plenty of meat free meals throughout the weeks. I made your roasted tomato pesto on the weekend and my roommates and I looooove it! I live in Halifax and asked my country dwelling folks to bring me another bag of plum tomatoes from the garden so I can make another batch to freeze ASAP! Thanks!

90 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

That’s great Marcy! Hellooooo fellow Maritimer (I’m from NB)

91 Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner September 13, 2011

That lentil power salad looks AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

92 Karen September 13, 2011

Just a ‘head’s up’ that the ‘whole wheat’ pita pockets…or any commercial pitas that I’ve foun are in fact, loaded with gluten. You might want to post a disclaimer in case any ‘newbies’ to the gf lifestyle stumbles onto your page. They may not know that just because it’s ‘whole wheat’ doesn’t make it healthy for us gf folks.

93 Melissa Leech September 13, 2011

My husband is going to love love this!! Thank you for helping me to be a better wife :)

94 Michaela September 13, 2011

I love this series! Your ideas are fab and everything looks so delicious. I will definitely try the rice and chickpea salad. So far, I have always made pasta salads or couscous for take away lunch, but this seems so much better :)

95 Amber K September 13, 2011

These posts were so amazing! I get stuck in food ruts so often I totally needed some fresh ideas. Thanks!!

96 VeggieGirl September 13, 2011

Awesome, I am going to give these recipes to my husband, he has been making my lunches for me :)

97 Bridget September 13, 2011

I’m sure this took you a long time but I have to say that I TOTALLY appreciate it! There are just some months where I open my fridge and don’t even know where to start packing my lunch. I made the apple/carrot ginger soup and loved it. I also love that I won’t be the smelly person in the lunch room with these meals (come on…you know that person that always stanks it up).

98 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

haha! One of my old coworkers used to make popcorn all the time. I never considered myself to mind the smell of popcorn, but there was just something about it flooding the workplace that was strange.

Glad you enjoyed the lunch series!

99 angela @ momethis September 13, 2011

I just love all of your recipes. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas!

100 Ellie@fitforthesoul September 13, 2011

Yummy! I think pita pockets are so deliciosos~!

101 Anna @ The Guiltless Life September 13, 2011

Yummy on that protein-packed pita pocket (and I love alliterations so that made me happy too:)!) Can’t wait to try!

102 Lauren September 13, 2011

i never ever would have considered going vegan until i did the daniel fast and realized how good my body is supposed to feel. i found your blog during that time, and i’m happy to say it’s the main reason i actually enjoyed the daniel fast and am continuing to eat vegan after it ended. these last two posts were much needed, and i can’t wait to try all of the recipes. thanks!

103 Jane September 13, 2011

Your lunches look fantastic! I hope to try some of your recipes very soon, especially since I have to pack both lunch and dinner for work and planning ahead helps tremendously. Out of curiosity, what do your breakfasts look like these days? From past posts oat combos or green monsters seem to be the norm. Still true? Love you blog! Thanks for all you share!

104 Tiffany September 13, 2011

I love your recipes and posts,thank you for all the time and love you put in them! You are a doll!

105 Uma September 13, 2011

Wonderfully appetizing lunches! Thanks for sharing.

106 Christine (The Raw Project) September 13, 2011

These look great, especially the Big Lentil Power Salad! Thanks!

107 Lauren @ TheRawCure September 13, 2011

Oh. My. Goodness. I have LOVED these posts. Probably some of my favorites, seeing as I’m a student & on-the-go. Thanks for keeping them on a budget and for all of the details! Keep them coming. :)

108 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles September 13, 2011

Great series!! I usually bring leftovers as my lunch meal, but I’m always looking for new snack ideas. You’ve got some good ones!

109 Ashley September 13, 2011

Thanks for these, I’ve made the back on track chickpea and rice salad. I have to go to school tomorrow from 10:00am-7pm, and this lunch should help to sustain me throughout the day. Also, since I’ve recently discovered that I’m intolerant to gluten, I’ve been lacking lunch ideas. Thanks again! These really help :-)

110 Kristi September 14, 2011

THANK YOU!! :-) :-) :-)

111 Michelle September 14, 2011

I originally found your website while searching for more interesting vegan lunches. I bring my breakfast & lunch to work with me every day. My workday, plus my commute, averages 10hours a day, so my meals require alot of planning to keep me going. I pretty much lived off of grain, pulses and veggie salads and green smoothies this summer. I would highly recommend Pedon 10 min grain mixes, some are gluten free, all fairly low calorie and very filling.

112 Alex September 14, 2011

This is so amazing!! Thanks so much. I truly appreciate it.

Coincidentally, I was going to ask you if you had any lunch ideas since Im back at school so I’m really glad someone else asked! A post on quick breakfasts/ on the go breakfasts or healthy dinners that you can make ahead and freeze would be awesome too!

113 Britt September 14, 2011

I’ve loved this so much! Just finished making my 4th vegan lunch. All have been amazing so far and my co-workers are jealous of my delicious food! Any chance you’ll be doing this again? I’d love more lunch ideas! :)

114 emma September 15, 2011

These lunches look sooooooo yummy! Nutritious and easy, too.
I noticed that you had a raw chocolate bar in one of your photos. … check out my site if you get a chance. I’ve tried the brand that you tried and was also not impressed (sorry if that offends anyone- it just wasn’t quite… gooey and caramel-y enough for me!). Anyway, I make a raw caramel filled chocolate bar as well! It is on my website =) And I would be more than happy to send you one on the chocolate house!

Thank you for all of your wisdom and creativity!

115 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 15, 2011

Thanks I’ll check it out!

116 VegCait September 15, 2011

Thank you so much for this series! As a university student I am constantly on a time AND money budget – the time investment on Sundays is an awesome idea! I had thought of this before but was always stuck as to what to put together Sunday to last through the week. This is just perfect :)

117 Janelle September 16, 2011

I used to do a lot of prep on Sundays, like you did here, but the summer was too hot to have those pots on the stove! I’m inspired to get back into my Sunday cooking. Wednesday’s lunch is calling to me….looks delicious!

118 Lucy September 16, 2011

Wow, very creative and delicious. I rarely use recipes, but these are quite inspiring. Especially because I am not so good at thinking of satisfying lunches that don’t include cheese :)

119 Heather September 17, 2011

Yes, I agree with everyone else, these lunch posts are a great idea. :)

120 Jaime September 19, 2011

Thanks for much for these recipes. I have been in a lunch rut and needed a kick. Can’t wait to try these.

121 Deb September 19, 2011

You Rock!!! You are making it sooooo easy to be vegan!!

122 michelle September 20, 2011

i’m from ontario too.. where did you buy the choco covered cocoa nibs?

123 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

Bulk Barn :)

124 Alexandria Lewis September 23, 2011

This post and the previous definitely inspired my packed lunches for this past week and weeks to come! Thanks a bunch!!

125 Lisa September 28, 2011

Thank you for these 5 recipes and all the great tips & pictures that you included!

126 Lauren A. @ Newest Obsession September 29, 2011

I made the lentil power salad for lunch today and it was fantastic. Since I tend to struggle with low blood sugar, I am not a vegan and eat animal protein with at least 2 meals a day, and I find that is what really helps control my hunger and blood sugar levels. However, I am trying to eat more meatless meals and this lunch has kept me nice and full for 2 hours and counting! Thanks.

127 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2012

Glad to hear that Lauren!

128 Yasmine October 11, 2011

Thanks for your example of lunchs! It’s difficult to find new healthy ideas every day…

129 Rebecca C October 17, 2011

I made Wednesday’s chickpea salad and it is now one of my favorite things for lunch. I substituted quinoa for the rice and it was tasty. Thanks for sharing.

130 Debra Dester April 26, 2012

Has anyone made the Brown Rice and Chick Pea salad? How many servings does this recipe make? I’m hoping to make 16 or servings for a Volunteer Appreciation Lunch next week.
Thanks for any info!

131 Katie August 5, 2012

Are these single serving portions for all of the prepped meals? I want to use some of these as ideas for lunches but I cook for two!

132 Meg August 14, 2012

I know you’re not a fan of calorie counting, but I’ve been having a really hard time losing weight and feel that it is a good idea for me at this point in time. I went vegan two weeks ago (and doing great) and love everything on your blog. These lunches look amazing! I’m curious if you have any calorie information on your recipes and if you have any suggestions for me to figure out the calorie count in some of them?

Thanks!

133 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2012

Hey Meg, I occasionally calculate the calories in recipes on the blog, but usually only for desserts or things I want to see what the overall balance is with protein, etc. I use nutrition data software (it’s free) you can find it here: http://nutritiondata.self.com/

134 Becky August 18, 2012

Is there a secret to keeping the chickpeas and black beans fresh all week? Mine never seem to last more that a couple days.

135 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2012

Hey Becky, What I’ve been doing lately is (after the beans cool) pop them in the freezer in a baggie. I put them overnight in the fridge before I want to use them to thaw. It seems to work well so far.

136 Cassi September 19, 2012

Thanks so much for this. I hope you will post a part 3. We are a gluten free vegan home, but I have 1 child that is also nut free (my 2 boys LOVE nuts, so we have to keep them in a seperate place). These are so helpful. It is hard to find foods that they like (especially the boys) and will not be embarrassed to bring to school. We have not always been vegan, but because of allergies and medical conditions have decided this is what we have to do for our health, and it has done wonders for all of us. Thanks for doing all you can to make it easier!

137 Jacquie December 10, 2012

Wow! You totally rock! I just realized there was a part two! You just made my life so much easier! Thanks SO much!!!!

138 alex January 14, 2013

if you prepare and cook all of the beans and grains on the Sunday do they stay good through out the entire week??

139 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 14, 2013

They tend to last for 3-4 days sometimes longer. You can freeze them too and then thaw in the fridge.

140 Nicole January 24, 2013

Looooved the Big Lentil Power Salad and the Protein Packed Pita Pocket (I used a gluten-free tortilla). Both were super delicious and easy to make.

141 Denise May 10, 2013

Looking for lunch ideas I stumbled upon this blog. My little ones wont eat the nuts in the trail mix. I am wondering if your trail mix could be made into a bar?

142 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2013

Hey Denise, Good question! I’m not sure but I suggest checking out my granola bar recipes on my recipage…I have a couple good ones! Most recently my Banana Bread Protein Bars have been reviewed well.

143 courtney June 23, 2013

I’ve made almost all of these … thank you so much for the work you do. You’re changing lives, you know!

144 Sean M October 2, 2013

That Earth Balance is pure GMO crap. Stay away from it! I do love the rest of the recipes and ingredients from both posts. Great job!

145 Ashley December 3, 2013

wow I’m late to the game but this is great! My sister and I were just talking about how since I’m pregnant now I can’t seem to bring enough food to work and this leaves me starving and yucky really fast. I am totally going to use this as a guide and plan better for next week :)

146 Michelle December 26, 2013

Hallo. Any chance of another one of these series to start the year off right?

147 Kamau January 9, 2014

The chickpea & brown rice salad was great! I left out the maple syrup & used red onion instead of green. I also added in some lemon juice. I added this salad on top of a huge bowl of greens & it was the best looking lunch at my office!

148 Cheri May 9, 2014

I’m clearly over 3 years late to this posting, but WOW! I am making the slow transition to a plant-based diet and your blog is keeping me on the path! It’s been five days without meat so far (cheese is harder to let go) and I am doing ok :)
It’s redundant at this point, but you are inspirational.

149 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 9, 2014

Thank you Cheri, I appreciate it! Good luck with all your dietary goals.

150 Rachel August 25, 2015

This is an old post but I hope you see my comment because I want you to know how HELPFUL this post is (part 1 and 2). I’m not vegan, but I am very conscious of nutrition. I pack lunch every day for work to save money and ensure a healthy meal. I do a variation of these meals pretty much every week – I just pick 3 dry beans and 2 grains and whatever veggies are in season and adapt these recipes. I used to do a traditional “meal prep” where you pack 5 meals of the same thing every day, and this is such a better approach. No more lunch boredom. It’s so great for those of us who are cooking for one. Thanks for this!

151 Amelia August 26, 2015

Hi Angela, I was just wondering where a fellow Canadian can find the earth balance products? I live near Montreal and have never seen them before :(

152 Reza @ detoxopedia December 16, 2015

That yummy-looking lentil salad seems appealing to me. I’ll give it a try the next Sunday!

153 Melodie April 8, 2016

I just tried this plan for my boyfriend and I (both vegan) and I was surprised at how easy everything was! Thank you so much for this post, I was able to study for exams while the the grains and beans were heating and morning prep work was minimal so I could catch some extra sleep!

I was wondering if you would have any ideas or suggestions about a meal plan for a 4 day vegan camping trip. All I’ve got is a cooler, and fires are prohibited on the grounds. My boyfriend and I are going to a rock festival (not the most vegan friendly environment) and I’d love some ideas that don’t require much refrigeration or reheating. We don’t mind eating room temp food for a few days, as long as we can avoid food poisoning and get enough energy to brave the mosh pit, we’re golden.
Thanks!

154 Angela Liddon May 3, 2016

Hi Melodie, that’s a tough one to answer as your safety is my first priority and food poisoning is no joke! And, disclaimer: I am NOT a camper, so my suggestions should be taken with a grain of salt. haha. ;) I suggest bringing some of your fav fruits and veggies that tend to travel well and do fairly well at room temperatures (to save space in your cooler for other meals where refrigeration is a must), like apples, oranges, and avocados. Dried fruit, either store bought or homemade, is another great option as it’s energy dense. I’d also suggest bringing granola or muesli–again, either store bought (which likely has a lesser need to be refrigerated) or homemade recipes (that I generally recommend storing chilled) like my Ultimate Nutty Granola Clusters (p. 31 of The Oh She Glows Cookbook). For something more savoury, you could also bring crackers (for a recipe, try my Endurance Crackers or Homemade Wheat Thins). Protein bars or energy bites, like my Dark Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites, Glo Bars, or Feel Good Hearty Granola Bars will give you a great boost for that mosh pit! hah. Keep those chilled too. If you have a really good cooler situation going, you could also consider making a salad that travels well (like my Chickpea Salad- recipe on the blog), or perhaps a gazpacho (check out the one on my blog!) that can be eaten cold, but both of those would have to be kept cold at all times. You could also bring single-serve, non-refrigerated almond milks for at some grocery stores (like juice boxes only for plant milks!), and little baggies of pre-portioned vegan overnight oats (chia, oats, dried fruit, cinnamon, a bit of granulated sweetener) and mix them up during breakfast. It wouldn’t be cold necessarily but it would work in a pinch. Or you could simply serve the granola with the milk. I recommend eating the most perishable items first, and this may be a situation where it’s worth stocking up on some store-bought, less perishable options because most foods won’t last in a cooler for that long. I hope this helps get the wheels turning, and that you have a fantastic weekend!!