Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

IMG 8605 thumb   Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

Brrr…it’s a chilly morning in our neck of the woods!

I woke up around 6am absolutely freezing, so I closed the window and pulled on the blanket that was at the end of the bed. I had another 45 minutes of cozy, warm sleep with Sketchie cuddled at my feet and Eric by my side.

The only thing that pulled me out of bed (besides Sketchie meowing and tapping my shoulder over and over) was the thought of hot oatmeal to warm me up.

Last year, I made Zucchini Bread Oatmeal and it occurred to me this morning that I hadn’t finalized the recipe and posted it on the blog. I had no idea what recipe I came up with last year, but judging from the photos, it was a bit more lengthy than what I came up with today. I’m all about the Quick and Dirty recipes lately so I tried to make it as delicious, yet simple, as I could.

IMG 8580 thumb   Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

The most difficult part is trying not to grate your finger off while half asleep in the morning. I recommend caffeine before taking on this challenging morning task!

IMG 8662 thumb   Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

I loved my original photoshoot so much, I decided to use the old pictures in today’s post!

Read: I was way too lazy for a photoshoot this morning.

IMG 8587 thumb   Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

Keep in mind, the recipe looks a bit different the way I made it today, but I was even more pleased with the outcome this time around.

In my first photoshoot, I had a lot of fun using a bread loaf pan and spatula. I wish I had that energy today! Serves me right for staying up until 12:30am last night.

IMG 8599 thumb   Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

IMG 8623 thumb   Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

In my first attempt, I didn’t add the pat of Earth Balance on top- big mistake! It really took this bowl over the edge and I was in Heaven enjoying each buttery bite with a hint of brown sugar and crunchy pecan.

IMG 8630 thumb   Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

and then I burned my tongue. Of course. Will I ever learn?

If you’re feeling really crazy, why not crumble some of my Oil-Free Zucchini Walnut loaf on top?

IMG 7480 thumb   Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

And no, you can’t taste the zucchini at all, but it does add beautiful green flecks to the oats, not to mention extra vitamins and fibre.

IMG 8636 thumb   Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

I’m now warmed up and ready to tackle the work week. Let’s just not make these chilly mornings a frequent occurrence, mmm kay?

~~

Today is the last day you can enter the Feel Good giveaway! Crazy Tea Ladies, unite.

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine August 22, 2011

Yum. :) I’m loving the cooler weather–your post made me feel cozy and ready for fall, haha!

jenna August 22, 2011

these look delish!! i love that we are now having cooler mornings. thankfully it warms up by 8-9. i wish it was like this all the time.

Kristina @SimplyKristinaP August 22, 2011

This sounds perfect for the crisp fall like morning we are having in Western NY today.

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) August 22, 2011

Zucchini bread oatmeal?! Angela you are a GENIUS!! Haha it’s pretty cold here in London too right now, and I could definitely use that!! I could never say no to zucchini bread anyway though ;)

Emily August 22, 2011

Yummmy! I’m sitting at work freezing and this sounds like heaven!

Holly @ The Runny Egg August 22, 2011

It was a little cool here this morning too! I love it. Fall is my favorite time of year — bring on the warm breakfasts!

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove August 22, 2011

Perfect for the Fall! It was a little chilly this morning, too (although, I’m always cold). I can’t wait to try this recipe!

Tara August 22, 2011

I love all your fall/chilly posts each fall. I am a Canadian, through and through, which means I actually love cold weather and the amazing changes that happen each season.. but I am living in California for a few years and the seasons are not too drastic. Your posts remind me how much I do love the Canadian weather, which sounds crazy! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2011

I could totally see that Tara! While I’m not a fan of Canadian Winters, I do love love love Fall.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 22, 2011

I think I need to stop buying bowls and start buying mason jars!! This looks delicious Ange. It was chilly when I woke up too – I’d had my window open all night and woke up with goosebumps! Perhaps this is Mother Nature’s way of telling me I shouldn’t have purchased pumpkin last week? ;) (I couldn’t help it – I finally caved!!)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 22, 2011

I make a similar carrot cake oatmeal – the zucchini idea is great!

Cait's Plate August 22, 2011

That looks so good. I’m all about adding fruit into my oats – why have I never tried veggies!?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2011
Cait's Plate August 22, 2011

That is SO up my alley! I will definitely try it! :)

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy August 22, 2011

Yum! I love chilly mornings and a hot bowl of oatmeal! Zucchini bread is one of my all time favorite quick breads! I am going to have to try this oatmeal recipe!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 22, 2011

This is a great idea! I will have to try this. I love the little green specks :)

Brittany @ Runwithbritt August 22, 2011

Yummy! This is such a great idea. I can’t wait for cooler mornings down here in Texas. It’s going to be another 100+ day here….for like the 43 day in a row. Ugh! Cooler days are perfect for oats!

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) August 22, 2011

This looks delicious :) I love “loafs” heh.

Noelle August 22, 2011

So yummy looking and colorful!

Ashley August 22, 2011

I looove those squatty wide jars!! I could definitely dive head first into one of them. My mom + I had a zucchini bread baking tradition every year. I’ve been meaning to make a GF version. Thanks for the reminder. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2011

Goodluck, I know if anyone can do it, you sure can!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels August 22, 2011

hmmmmm I’m just starting to warm up to zucchini (as in if zucchini and I were dogs we’d be sniffing each other, but that’s it so far) … I’ve used it as pizza topping a lot lately, and in bread, but I can’t be sure about this oatmeal you’re peddling ;) hehehe

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 22, 2011

This isn’t something I ever would’ve thought of doing with zucchini! Those jars are seriously adorable too :)

Heather (heathers dish) August 22, 2011

I can’t wait til chilly mornings start up in out neck of the woods! Warm oats sound so good on those cold mornings!

Bethany August 22, 2011

Amazingly delicious! Can’t wait to try it! What a perfect early autumn treat! :0) Thank you!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious August 22, 2011

This looks amazing! My grandma gave me a fresh zucchini picked from her garden yesterday and I’ve been trying to decide what to do with it because if I make a loaf of zucchini bread, I eat the loaf LOL! This looks like a great alternative!

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well August 22, 2011

I have a huge zucchini leftover that I’m not sure what to do with! Thanks for the inspiration :) I think I’ll try the bread!

Natalie August 22, 2011

Looks gorgeous – do you think it would work if you made it the night before?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2011

I’m sure you could warm it up with a splash of milk the next morning :) Just leave the toppings off until just before serving.

Christina August 22, 2011

Angela you have outdone yourself! I love how healthy this is and how delicious it looks! I’m trying to eat clean foods more and this is definitely going to be added, I don’t know if the Earth Balance would be considered clean eating though lol. One can splurge ;)

Jessica August 22, 2011

Yum! I love zucchini bread! It was just this side of chilly this morning in PA today, fall is in the air. (Already?!) Definitely going to give this a try, getinmahbelly!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2011

Isn’t it crazy!? The nights are getting cooler too I’ve noticed. I cannot believe it’s August 22!

Jenny August 22, 2011

You know, I’ve never, ever had zucchini bread! My mom never made it for our family as a child, while we lived in Southeast Asia… I wonder if it’s a North American dish? Hm, which reminds me that she never made carrot cake, either. Guess I’ve got to give your zucchini bread AND carrot cake oatmeal recipes each a try! They’re both great ways to get veggies in before lunch, hm? :) Are there any other veggie-inclusive sweet desserts out there I’ve missed out on, I wonder?! (Is pumpkin pie the only other one? //Never had that either.)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2011

one of my favs (and positively reviewed by readers) is the carrot cake loaf found here: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/04/20/whole-grain-vegan-carrot-cake-loaf-with-lemon-glaze/

Jenny August 22, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion! I better get baking… :) I’m sure I’ll love it, since I absolutely adore carrots – in all forms. And none of your recipes have failed me yet!

Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather August 22, 2011

Yum this sure looks warming and delicious! I’ll make sure not to skip the sugar and nut topping, I trust you! Live getting veggies in first thing in the morning.

Sneaky Vegan August 22, 2011

YUH-UHM!!!! This looks delish! I just posted an awesome cherry zucchini bread recipe but after making 2 loaves this weekend I’m definitely ready to try something new. This is SO on my list!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2011

Cherry and Zucchini is a great combo! I’ll have to try that out :)

Tracey @ Veggies, Cake and Cocktails August 22, 2011

I’ve never cooked/baked using zucchini. I might have to see if I can pick one up at the grocery and see if I can make something out of it.

Aly August 22, 2011

Ahh I cannot wait to try this! And to think i was just wondering what to do with that zucchini I just bought at the farmer’s market :)

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan August 22, 2011

This is so unique! My favorite thing you’ve posted recently. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2011

Thanks Amber :)

Sarah with Veggie Kids August 22, 2011

Oh, this is just what I was in the mood for! Yum! Although the weather here in California isn’t cold by any means, it definitely is getting cooler and I see more leaves on the ground..boohoo! By the way, I made your cookie dough blizzard over the weekend for my kids (okay, for me) and we devoured. Who need Dairy Queen!?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2011

haha nice ;) Glad it was enjoyed Sarah!

Heather August 22, 2011

I make a zuchinni granola and end up eating it raw too! Thanks for the great breakfast idea!

LizAshlee August 22, 2011

What a great way to use zucchini!! I would have never thought of that! I can’t believe it’s already chilly in your neck of the woods..not quite in Colorado!:)

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 22, 2011

You are a genius, Angela!

Julie (A Case of the Runs) August 22, 2011

What an awesome idea! Sneaking some veggies in my breakfast would be great!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats August 22, 2011

Wow. I haven’t been this excited about an oatmeal idea in a long time! I love that you get in a serving of veggies and it looks and sounds amazing! Thank you for the awesome recipe, I will be doing it as soon as it cools off here!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet August 22, 2011

This is such a delicious idea! Do you think the zucchini would be ok grated the night before?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2011

I can’t see why not…just keep it in an air tight container/bag. :)

Danielle @weightsandmeasures August 22, 2011

This sound amazing! Just my luck, I have a zucchini in the fridge at home.

Page 1 of 3123»