Double Chocolate Brownie Dough ‘Blizzard’

IMG 8853   Double Chocolate Brownie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Over the past few months, Eric has been taking a Project Management Course to get his Project Management Professional (PMP) certification. It hasn’t been easy on him juggling work, the 3.5 hour daily commute, studying, and building the deck at the same time! We’ve been looking forward to the completion of the course so he doesn’t have to spend his evenings studying.

He was under a lot of pressure to pass because his work was paying for the course and no one wants to tell their boss and coworkers they failed the exam. We joked that he probably studied more for this exam than for all his exams combined in university!

Wednesday, Eric wrote the 400-question PMP exam and he passed with flying colours! Whew.

We celebrated, Blizzard style… :)

IMG 8851   Double Chocolate Brownie Dough ‘Blizzard’

I loved reading through your comments on what Blizzard flavours I should make next! So many great ideas. For my 3rd version, I decided to make a spin-off of DQ’s Brownie Batter Blizzard:

DQ10Q4027P BrownieBatter 28 3x3   Double Chocolate Brownie Dough ‘Blizzard’

[source]

It boasts, ‘Double chocolate brownie batter blended with real fudge brownie pieces and creamy vanilla soft serve’

Yes please!

IMG 8840   Double Chocolate Brownie Dough ‘Blizzard’

My previous two versions below:

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Blizzard                         Peanut Butter Chocolate Crunch Blizzard

IMG 2985 42   Double Chocolate Brownie Dough ‘Blizzard’ IMG 8587 23   Double Chocolate Brownie Dough ‘Blizzard’

The first thing I did was whip up some double chocolate brownie dough balls in the food processor.

IMG 8650   Double Chocolate Brownie Dough ‘Blizzard’

IMG 8645   Double Chocolate Brownie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Double chocolaty.

Crunchy.

Nutty.

Chewy.

Sweet & salty.

What’s not to love?

IMG 8844   Double Chocolate Brownie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Double Chocolate Brownie Dough ‘Blizzard’

• Banana Soft Serve or your favourite ice cream
  • Cocoa powder & peanut butter, to taste
  • Brownie dough balls (from above)
  • Toasted coconut, for garnish

1. In a food processor, process your desired amount of frozen bananas until a creamy soft serve forms. We use 3 large bananas for 2 people. OR, simply grab your favourite ice cream and scoop it into the processor.

2. Add cocoa powder and peanut butter, to taste and process until combined.

3. Crumble 2-3 brownie dough balls into the processor and pulse until just combined.

4. Scoop into bowls or glass and crumble another ball on top with toasted coconut, for garnish. Enjoy on a hot summer day!

IMG 8826   Double Chocolate Brownie Dough ‘Blizzard’

I think this flavour would work better without banana soft serve. The banana was just a bit too pronounced in this combo. Next time, I might use Chocolate Coconut Bliss and do without the banana flavour coming through.

Otherwise it was fantastic!

I had to be quick with the photoshoot under the hot sun because I was making a huge mess, as usual!

IMG 88531   Double Chocolate Brownie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Though, we clean up pretty well. ;)

IMG 8854   Double Chocolate Brownie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Have a great Friday!

Kalli July 15, 2011

Congrats to your hubby! And what a great way to celebrate. These look amazing and I am sure better that dairy queen for sure :)

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy July 15, 2011

These look amazing! I love the glasses that you served them in, so cute! You are so creative and have such wonderful ideas!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 15, 2011

Congrats to Eric for furthering his education and credentials and passing with flying colors!

And congrats to you for making the world a better place by creating Double Chocolate Brownie Dough Balls. Wow. Angela they look awesome!

I grew up eating DQ Blizzards and Heath Bar was my fave. But after seeing this, I dont miss Heath Bar blizzards for a second. I just need to make this….omg it looks soooo good!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 15, 2011

Oh my, you’ve done it again! I think I might eat all the dough balls before I have a chance to get them into the blizzard!!

PS. Congrats Eric!! That’s great that he passed!

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa July 15, 2011

YUM! What a great post to read on a Friday morning. I will now bribe myself with the promise of one of these if I get everything done on my to-do list today!

Zestful Lou July 15, 2011

That’s one question I had about these blizzards: Does the banana flavor come through a lot? For example, did the peanut butter chocolate crunch blizzard have a pronounced banana flavor??

Amanda July 15, 2011

I just have to ask, how the heck to do eat your overflowing goodies without making a sticky mess?? :)

Shelly July 15, 2011

Angela you are an evil genius. (Minus the evil part!) :) I made a batch of your original cookie dough while waiting for my bananas to get ripe enough to freeze and I think I’m going to be out of dough before the bananas are ready to eat!
I have two ideas/suggestions. The first is that the cookie dough balls would make AMAZING cookies for ice cream sandwhiches if you flattened them out. I think you might need to fill them with coconut bliss ice cream rather than banana soft serve to get the proper texture, but I think it could be amazing. :) I’ll try it out with my next batch.
The second idea come from the fact that I found almond meal at Trader Joes- I’d love to figure out how to make an almond joy cookie ball- maybe almond meal, shredded coconut, and almond chunks with choc chips…. Maybe you could do that for your next blizzard flavor! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 15, 2011

MMm great ideas :)

Miriam @ Sometimes I Veg July 15, 2011

Congrats to Eric, I have actually been considering taking some project management courses to take a step forward in my career. Hopefully becoming a pmp will open some door for him.

Faith @ For the Health of It July 15, 2011

I seriously lived off of the brownie blizzards in college – my roomie and I had struck the perfect deal; she would buy, I would go pick them up. Such a fun tradition, I miss it…but I don’t miss the awful feeling after eating the huge thing! I’m thinking this would leave me feeling way better!

Tell Eric congrats, by the way!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 15, 2011

That sounds so good!!!! I have yet to try banana soft serve–think it will be on my weekend agenda!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 15, 2011

That’s it. I’m making this for sure this weekend!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 15, 2011

They look so good! I’ve got to get a food processor!

Cait's Plate July 15, 2011

You kill me.

I need to move in with you – Eric and Sketchy won’t mind will they?? ;)

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 15, 2011

I want to make more dough balls! They are perfect little bites of energy before a run :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 15, 2011

Congrats to Eric on the PMP! That’s a valuable thing to have, for sure.

Since it’s my birthday, will you bring me one of those blizzards?! :)

Suzanne July 15, 2011

Congrats to Eric! What a lot of work that was —and a 3.5 hour commute – oh my! That alone would be enough to push me over the edge!
I made the banana soft serve – came out good – but I agree – we do not always want the banana flavor. I wish there was a way to do vanilla. Do you know if you can make vanilla ice cream with almond milk? I thought of trying that but figured it would be on the market if it really worked!

Where do you get the dates? (regular grocery store or specialty/dry shelf or produce?) I really want to try them as I see them in a few of your recipes. I actually think they had them for us at a hotel we went to last weekend – they gave us a few plates of snacks in our room and I tried these things – very sweet! Deeeelicious :-)

Julie @ Shining From Within July 15, 2011

I bet you could freeze almond milk into cubes and then process into “ice cream”. Chocolate almond milk or other non dairy milk frozen and then processed would be awesome too!

Zestful Lou July 15, 2011

I’ve seen recipes around the blog world that use a combination of soy creamer and almond milk to make some delicious-looking vegan ice creams. Search “almond milk ice cream” and something is bound to come up!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 15, 2011

mm that sounds good, I havent tried it myself!
I buy my dates in bulk from Ontario Natural Food Coop.

Suzanne July 15, 2011

Thanks for the ideas – I will search it and try. I will have to make a trip to the coop near here (It is phenomenal but 1.5 hrs away) – I am sure they have the dates too.

Jenny$1983 July 16, 2011

Chocolate-Covered Katie has the easiest, simplest recipe I’ve found for vanilla ice cream, but I’m not sure about etiquette when it comes to linking to other blogs on somebody else’s blog (if you see what I mean! Just trying to do the right thing!), so I can only suggest you Google “chocolate covered katie voluminous ice cream” – it should be the first link to come up :)

suzanne July 20, 2011

I will ck it out – thanks!

Got the dates today :-)

Julie @ Shining From Within July 15, 2011

Yay for Eric! That’s the hardest thing about shooting outdoors in the summer…everything melts! I’d love this with chocolate coconut bliss. Omg that’d be AMAZE.

Ellie@fitforthesoul July 15, 2011

Oh my goodness does this look amazing! Love the melty effect.

WIERDGREENMAN July 15, 2011

These look AMAZING. I must make these! And congratulations to Eric!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet July 15, 2011

so perfect in so many ways! Have a fabulous weekend:-)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 15, 2011

Congrats to Eric! These pictures (and of course recipe) put the DQ version to shame.

kate July 15, 2011

ooh double chocolate sounds amazing, congrats to eric he definitely deserves a special celebration!

Heather (heathers dish) July 15, 2011

Seriously you’re going to turn me into an addict!

Tracy July 15, 2011

Aaaah!!! Tell Eric congratulations on passing the PMP! I passed in June and it was the hardest and longest test I’ve ever taken. I studied harder for that than I’ve ever studied my whole life and cried in the parking lot after the test because I was so happy I passed!! Maybe I’ll make this Blizzard for myself and call it the PMP Blizzard! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 15, 2011

aww congrats to you!
I couldnt believe it when he told me they give you 4.5 hours and 400 questions! ahhhh. Luckily he could take a couple breaks when he wanted to.

AGS @ West With Flight July 15, 2011

PMP Blizzard — love it.

alexe July 15, 2011

OH MY! This looks decadent!

Congratulations to Eric for passing his exam so successfully! I wish I didn’t have to study all summer… I’ll bring my books in the parks I guess, it could be worse! ;)

Jessica F July 15, 2011

Haha this takes me back to my days of working at Dairy Queen in high school. One funny thing about the Brownie Batter blizzard is sooo many people would pronounce ‘Batter’ as ‘Bladder’. I think the blizzard at they end made it a tongue twister!

Kat July 15, 2011

I see blizzard making in my future for sure! I love the glasses too – so cute!

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove July 15, 2011

I’m actually nervous to make one of these. I’m afraid it’ll end up being the only think I eat!

Holly @ The Runny Egg July 15, 2011

Congrats to Eric! Taking a class + working full time is no joke! And what a lovely way to celebrate — brownie blizzards. Oh wow do these look good!

Jenna July 15, 2011

you two are the most motivated people!! gosh! that is awesome and congrats x 10000 to eric! this blizzard looks like the best reward ever! amazing!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} July 15, 2011

That has pregnancy craving written all over it! (I’m pregnant–not suggesting that you are ;-)) I’m so making these this weekend.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 15, 2011

heh enjoy

April @ Grits and Granola Bars July 15, 2011

Congrats to Eric! That is awesome! :-D Now, do you think you could mail me one of those blizzards? :)

April @ Grits and Granola Bars July 15, 2011

April @ Grits and Granola Bars July 15, 2011

Lindsey @ Why Just Eat July 15, 2011

Those look delicious! I’m a huge fan of your banana soft serve and can’t wait to try it :)

Nikita July 15, 2011

I’m hooked on banana soft serve! These look amazing! I’m surprised the banana flavor didn’t work with the other flavors though- usually chocolate and banana are great together!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 15, 2011

I was surprised too…it could have had to do with the fact that it melted too much. I find BSS is best VERY cold.

Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen July 15, 2011

I would love to see a remake of the Starbucks Java Chip Frapuccino! Yummmm!

PS – Your avocado cream pasta has made it’s way into the regular rotatio. I’m obsessed!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 15, 2011

Glad you enjoy it :) Im making some tonight!

That java flava sounds yummy :)

Ashley July 15, 2011

Oh man oh man!! Ridiculous! Look at that overflowing glass! ;) These seriously sound spectacular. Hope you guys have a fabulous weekend!! xo

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 15, 2011

overflowing glasses are my specialty! lol

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 15, 2011

That looks even better than the DQ version! Better for you too :)

Page 1 of 3123»