The Pink Flamingo

Yesterday was a lot of work…and little play!

But it was productive in every sense of the word and left us feeling very accomplished by the time we crashed on the couch at 9pm.

IMG 0874   The Pink Flamingo

My original plan was to go through the office and purge/donate unnecessary items. And boy, did I ever! We parted with probably 75-80% of our books and DVDs that have just been collecting dust. The library is going to be happy to see me today!

IMG 8455   The Pink Flamingo

Bye, bye psychology, statistics, and computer science books. We won’t miss you at all!

I also came across my WEDDING binder! This was the binder that held all of my wedding ideas, clippings, wedding dress pics, and collages. Too funny!

IMG 0875 2   The Pink Flamingo

Oddly enough, our wedding ended up looking NOTHING like the clippings I pulled out. Originally, I wanted to go with a soft pink theme, but in the end we went for classic red, ivory, and black.

Clippings:

IMG 0875 3   The Pink Flamingo

Actual:

080831 04801   The Pink Flamingo 080831 0678   The Pink Flamingo080831 15141   The Pink Flamingo 080831 17161   The Pink Flamingo

Once I get on a organizing and purging spree, I can’t stop. It’s like some kind of high! After the office I did our bathroom and the bedrooms upstairs. There were a lot of things left in the house when we moved in, so it was great to get rid of unused furniture and odd items that were weighing us down.

Mid-afternoon, I stole Eric away from the deck work to replenish our energy stores!

IMG 8465   The Pink Flamingo

Eric has been gushing about this smoothie that he had at Fresh restaurant the other week (he works near one of their locations and pops in sometimes for take out), so I took matters into my own hands and made my own version to surprise him. :)

The seasonal smoothie at Fresh is called a ‘Pink Flamingo’ and it’s made up of Watermelon, Banana, and Strawberries!

IMG 8458   The Pink Flamingo

My Pink Flamingo Smoothie:

• 3 cups watermelon
  • 1/2 cup frozen strawberries (or fresh)
  • 1 large frozen banana (not the one in the picture)

IMG 8468   The Pink Flamingo

Oh man, this was good!! There was also leftover smoothie after filling the glasses and I quickly chugged it before Eric saw!

I don’t like to point fingers, but the messy smoothie leads to Eric. ;)

IMG 8471   The Pink Flamingo

We worked late and opted to skip our planned picnic for a less busy night. I whipped up a maple cinnamon split pea and spelt berry salad. It was delish, but I’d like to make a few tweaks to this next time!

IMG 8475   The Pink Flamingo

Served it with fresh garden kale, sautéed in extra virgin olive oil and Herbamare.

IMG 8476   The Pink Flamingo

I can’t get over how quickly the kale replenishes itself. I’ve been picking a big bunch each day and it just grows back overnight. If any of you new gardeners are looking for a fool-proof veggie to grow, kale is it. Actually, I’ve heard that most garden greens grow very easily!

IMG 8478   The Pink Flamingo

Enjoyed with more beer. :)

IMG 8480   The Pink Flamingo

IMG 8481   The Pink Flamingo

IMG 8489   The Pink Flamingo

Sunset is our favourite time to be in the backyard because everything just glows as the sunlight beams through the forest.

IMG 8490   The Pink Flamingo

IMG 8485   The Pink Flamingo

For dessert, we shared a bowl of organic cherries. Nothing better.

IMG 8503   The Pink Flamingo

It’s back to the grind for us Canucks today, but it’s a holiday for our friends South of us. Have a safe and happy Fourth of July if you are celebrating today!

Jackie @ Baking Charms July 4, 2011

I doubt their smoothies actually LOOK as cute as yours! I love those glasses

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 4, 2011

The smoothies look delicious! And I love the colours in that salad, even if it does need a little tweaking. I also have a ton of my university textbooks sitting in my basement, and I haven’t a clue why I haven’t taken them to the library as donations earlier! Thanks for the idea Ange! Sounds like you had a super productive Sunday!

jenny July 4, 2011

I am so making that smoothie tonight! I work today even though its our Independence Day and I was looking for a simple thing to make to celebrate. You’re a genius!

Shari July 4, 2011

My son just asked if I could make a smoothie this morning and this is the perfect one! Heading out to pick up a watermelon pronto. Thanks Angela :)

Shari July 4, 2011

UPDATE – my kids LOVED this smoothie! Thanks again

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011

haha nice!! Thanks for letting me know :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 4, 2011

Beautiful. Pink flamingoes in people’s yards are suuuper classy, so that makes this smoothie queen’s level! Wooooo college books are gone! Now you have room for MORE cookbooks and scrapbooks :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011

haha notice that I didnt give away one cookbook? I dont think I could part with any!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011

Enjoy Shari and Jenny!

Lindsey July 4, 2011

That drink looks delicious, we have some watermelon to use up so I think it will be on tonights agenda!

Patrick August 27, 2012

My Pink Flamingo Smoothie:
3 cups watermelon
1/2 cup frozen strawberries (or fresh)
1 large frozen banana (not the one in the picture)

Bee Goes Bananas July 4, 2011

I’m getting married this weekend and I totally agree, my wedding is looking nothing like what I had originally thought. It’s funny how ideas develop and change over the course of your engagement! It’s almost as if your original ideas evolve to fit the couple’s personalities!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011

aww goodluck! I’m sure it will be beautiful :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes July 4, 2011

The drink looks so delicious and refreshing!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing July 4, 2011

That smoothie sounds perfect on this (already!) hot day :)

Jenny July 4, 2011

Ah well… We got our Fridays off, and it was a relaxing long weekend! I’ll just try to ignore the fact that all my American buddies are still chilling… And speaking of the “grind”: I’m doing the Grouse Grind up Grouse Mountain in North Vancouver today, whee~ (Love that hike. If you come to Vancouver, give it a go if you haven’t already!)

That drink looks SO refreshing! Great way to kick off the week, I bet. :) Good to hear that kale is easy to grow, too. I tried growing some spinach, but it didn’t really work out… My basil plants are huge though, and if you want a fast-growing plant, definitely try tomatoes! Mine grew from being about 10 inches tall to a little over 7 feet in just under a month!

Even though it didn’t turn out according to your pre-wedding plans, it looks like it was an absolutely gorgeous wedding!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011

My spinach didn’t work either…it bolted after 2 weeks!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious July 4, 2011

That smoothie looks amazing! I love watermelon in the summer but I’ve never tried it in a bevie — other than a watermelon martini of course ;-)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh July 4, 2011

We had a somewhat similar day yesterday. We put together our restaurant chrome shelves and purged the stuff we didn’t want and ran it over to Goodwill. I’m amazed at how much a few inches more of shelf space lets me stack more things! That smoothie looks AWESOME! Right up my hubby’s alley! Gotta say I’m partial to the colors you went with for your wedding because they’re the same I used for mine! :D

Julie @ Shining From Within July 4, 2011

What a lovely meal! I am drooling over that split pea salad… if I make that pink flamingo I would def puree the watermelon, strain, & then blend. I bet this would make for an awesome sorbet if you puree and freeze into cubes then blend. Mimmmm

Steph @ StephSnacks July 4, 2011

oohh everything looks so yummy and festive :)

Marla July 4, 2011

You are awesome for doing that major clean out. I must but have no idea when ;(
These pink flamingo drinks look like the perfect summer treat – especially with that bowl of cherries :) xo

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 4, 2011

we need to go back through our wedding photos and make a professional album in a very bad way…and i love the colors you went with! i like pink, but i have seen entire weddings of pink and it’s just not as striking (personal opinion). i love when you do wedding posts…you guys had such a beautiful day!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats July 4, 2011

I love getting organized! :) That smoothie sounds so refreshing!

Holly @ The Runny Egg July 4, 2011

The smoothie sounds delicious and the name is so cute!

I love getting rid of stuff — at first I was scared to get rid of my college textbooks but I don’t miss them at all actually! :)

Hayley @ Oat Couture July 4, 2011

I have such a problem getting rid of books, I like to hoard them! :) Thats smoothie and salad and smoothie look great, so fresh and yummy!

veganlisa July 4, 2011

I’ve been playing with adding watermelon to my smoothies lately. I love how refreshing it is, especially after a hot run in the sun.

I’m glad you and Eric had such a productive weekend. I always love the lighter feeling my place has after a really good purge. Although, I do still have some of those psychology books kicking around.

Cait's Plate July 4, 2011

Ahahaha – that’s like mine and my boyfriend’s dishes side by side. His always has crumbs and whatnot ALL over the part of the table surrounding him! Boys ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011

I always joke about Eric’s ability to leave a trail whenever he eats…you know he was there! lol.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 4, 2011

I am definitely making that smoothie..holy yum!

Katrina July 4, 2011

Mmm what a fresh lunch! Love this!

Molly @ RDexposed July 4, 2011

This sounds FABULOUS!!! Love love love the color, too!

Caroline July 4, 2011

I’m so amazed at how well your kale is growing! It’s inspired me to start growing some of my own. We have tomato and pepper plants right now that are doing pretty well and I think I’m ready to make some additions.

Sam July 4, 2011

I am sooo going to make this smoothie! Watermelon in a smoothie sounds fabulous!

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove July 4, 2011

That smoothie looks AMAZING. I am definitely going to be trying the Pink Flamingo. What a fun, summery drink!!

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat July 4, 2011

Books are one of those things that I held on to for years and many moves. I just couldn’t part with them. Then one day I realized that I really had no intent of ever reading Canadian Political Systems again, and out they went. I got rid of 3/4 of my books and it actually felt good! Now I just keep one that are reference for my current interests, and a few that have sentimental value (like Dr. Seuss).
Cherries, watermelon…Cheers to summer!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011

hehe yea I know what you mean!

Rebecca July 4, 2011

I love Watermelon in smoothies! I just drank a melon-banana-blueberry one that was sooo good! :)

Andrea July 4, 2011

I don’t see a recipe for that delicious looking salad did I miss it or is it secret? My kale has been super slow growing this year and sparse, it didn’t help the cat thought I made her a giant outdoor litter box!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011

Nope you didnt miss it, but I want to tweak it a bit more before posting it :)

Maria July 4, 2011

What a perfect smoothie for a summer day. Just so happens that I have all the ingredients on hand right now – those type of recipes are my favorite :)

Ashley July 4, 2011

Oooh, love the color of those smoothies. Good to know about kale!! Maybe I can plant some!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers July 4, 2011

Thanks for that recipe. I was just looking for something to bring to my cookout later!

Amber K July 4, 2011

Your food always looks so beautiful! Yum :)

Ellie@fitforthesoul July 4, 2011

The photos look beautiful! But, I tell you that every other time hehe. The drinks look and sound marvelous!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011

I never get sick of your compliments my dear! ;)

Jennifer Baldwin July 4, 2011

I am anxiously awaiting the split pea salad recipe…that looks delicious !!!
And good to know about kale…I will definitely be planting that ! I started my first garden in April so it was too late to grow greens.

Heidi @ Food Doodles July 4, 2011

Mmm that smoothie looks awesome! I’m going to try it, I have everything ready and waiting :D

I love the high from organizing and getting rid of things. I love how free it makes me feel, haha. I’m inspired to get some of that done myself!

Rachel July 4, 2011

Oh wow! That looks delish! It’s hot here in Vancouver today so I will definitely be making this. Thanks! I LOVE your recipes =)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011

Enjoy Rachel!

Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas July 4, 2011

I’m making this smoothie this week. No ifs, ands, or butts! :-)
I’ll take some of that kale off your hands if you need some help… tee hee hee

Page 1 of 3123»