Our Panera’s Gluten Free Dream Day: Apple Crunch Muffin

IMG_8282

The idea for Panera’s Gluten-Free Dream Day came to Marly after she was dining at Panera Bread and was quite shocked to discover that their menu did not offer a single gluten-free option. Marly thought it would be fun to get a group of bloggers together to create gluten-free recipes (and vegan if desired) that would be knock-offs of Panera’s current menu items. Hence, ‘Dream Day’ was born!

I admit, I was pretty scared at the thought of participating. I’ve never combined gluten-free and vegan baking intentionally before and I wasn’t sure I could have success.

But, there’s no fun in negative thinking, so I told myself I would rock out the best GF and vegan muffin I could! For my knock-off recipe, I selected Panera’s Apple Crunch Muffin, filled with apple chunks, cinnamon, and topped with cinnamon/sugar topping. My goal was to create a gluten-free and vegan Apple Crunch Muffin that would please just about anyone!

Come on, how difficult could it be?

IMG_8257

Apparently, very…;)

IMG_8255

I made the World’s Gummiest Muffin (above) in one trial using Bob’s Red Mill GF Flour and almond flour. I made three different trials using Bob’s GF flour and I never once had success with it. Now I know why many of you warned me about this flour! I’m sure it’s possible to have baking success with it, but I sure didn’t have any luck with muffins. Maybe it works better when not adding vegan into the mix!

Above right, you can see the World’s Most Crumbly muffin. I picked it up from the pan and it literally crumbled like a sand castle in my hand.

Hilarious.

Not.

All joking aside, a vegan and gluten-free muffin was one of the most difficult baking challenges I think I’ve ever had and it left me with a huge respect for this type of baking.

IMG_8260

With each failed trial, I grew more and more pissed hopeless PMS-y confused desperate eager and determined to create a successful muffin. I’m a Taurus and I don’t give up very easily (aka stubborn as a bull).

I read up on gluten-free baking and tried to learn the secrets of GF + vegan muffin success. Well, the secret is that there aren’t many. At least not what I came across. And I soon learned that gluten-free baking rules don’t always cross over to gluten-free and vegan baking. It was a whole other ball game and I was way out in left field.

IMG_8262

Six trials later, I finally created a muffin that I deemed not only worthy to eat, but delicious too! It’s a good thing because I was running out of ingredients, time,…and sanity! Wait, that’s actually everyday around here…

IMG_8263

I adapted Gluten-Free Goddess’s Blueberry Muffins (<–a great blog by the way!) and I was very happy with the outcome. [Note that subbing 1 cup of Bob’s red mill GF flour for the teff flour produces the World’s Gummiest Muffin  <—you were warned! ]

IMG_8279

I would proudly serve these to anyone with a gluten sensitivity! They taste just like an apple muffin should and they weren’t beany tasting or gummy like some of my previous trials.

If my husband inhales half a batch in the matter of hours, I deem them a success. ;)

IMG_8288

The density and flavour remind me a lot of a bran muffin with a cinnamon twist. Almond flour and Teff flour pair together wonderfully adding a nutty, wholesome quality. Not to mention both flours pack in a lot of protein, iron, calcium, and fibre.

IMG_8291

Want to check out more gluten-free recipes?

Check out what the other Dream Day bloggers baked up for you! (Note that their posts will be going up throughout today and I will update the links accordingly!)

Bagels

Allyson Kramer — Jalapeno Cheddar Bagel

Muffins

Family Fresh Cooking — Wild Blueberry Muffins
Veggie Num Num — Pumpkin Muffin
Multiply Delicious — Chocolate Chip Muffins

Scones

Heather Strang — Orange Scones

Breakfast Sweets

Namely Marly — Caramel Pecan Rolls
Diet Dessert Dogs — Cinnamon Crumb Cake

Souffles

Clean Green Simple — Spinach & Artichoke Souffle

IMG_8285

Marly says, ‘Right now the only way to try all these gluten-free goodies is to make them yourself. But who knows, maybe someday you’ll be able to pop into a place like Panera and enjoy one right from their menu.’

I couldn’t agree more! Thanks again to Marly for this fun challenge. :)

1 kaila @ healthy helper! June 30, 2011

Congrats Ange! GF baking looks and sounds really challenging! But if anyone could make something hard into a delicious treat….that’d be you! You rock girl!

2 Ricki June 30, 2011

They look fantastic! And I couldn’t agree more–Bob’s Red Mill AP-GF flour always produced gummy results for me, too (I ended up creating my own all-purpose glutenfree flour mix, which works just fine). And I think you’re right, vegan GF baking does seem to change depending on what it is you’re making. But I’m so glad you figured out the trick to these–I can’t wait to try them!

3 Liz @ Blog is the New Black June 30, 2011

Gorgeous- delicious! Oh I want some now!

4 Aine @ Something to Chew Over June 30, 2011

Angela these look amazing! I’m always looking for new g-f recipes as my partner is a coeliac. I know he’ll love these :)

Great job!

5 Val @ Balancing Val June 30, 2011

Yum!

I recently went GF so I appreciate these recipes!

I often try out GF baking and get many fails, it’s the nature of the beast!

What do you do with all your “gummy” experiments? :)

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 30, 2011

if they taste ok we eat them, but if they dont taste good they get thrown out.

7 Ginny July 18, 2012

Where do I find Bobs Red products, teff flour, and xanthun gum? looking for some things for gluten free bridesmaids. Love it. Ginny P.

8 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 30, 2011

Glad to know I’m not the only one who isn’t successful with every baking adventure… your end result looks incredible!

9 Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 30, 2011

Your final product looks amazing! Such a great idea to come up with g-f recipes for Panera baked goods.

10 Zestful Lou June 30, 2011

They look fabulous! I don’t know how you manage six trials before finding the recipe that works. Did you cry at some point? I think I would. hehe

I’ve had great success with Bob’s Red Mill GF Flour, but only as a shortbread base for some lemon bars (and it wasn’t vegan because it contained butter) but I’m willing to bet that the lemon bars would turn out just as tasty with Earth Balance instead of butter.

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 30, 2011

thats cool, I never would have thought to use itfor shortbread!

12 veganlisa June 30, 2011

I’m glad to see your perseverance paid off. The muffins look fantastic and it seems like you learned a lot along the way.

xo

13 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 30, 2011

Congrats on your GF success! I’ve been looking forward to seeing these for a while. :)

Can’t wait to try these and the other GF recipes you linked too. Good for Panera for beginning to branch out. :)

14 Valerie @ City|Life|Eats June 30, 2011

I have been baking gluten-free/vegan for a while now, and I could not agree more. It makes baking more temperamental, but when you get a good result it is super satisfying.

My theory on BRM gf mix is that it is designed to be subbed for white flour in a recipe that has butter and eggs etc and just does not play well with vegan baking. I love teff though – and I love how you balanced out the starch with lots of teff and almond meal :)

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 30, 2011

I agree!

16 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 30, 2011

Wow Ange, this does sound like quite the challenge!! I think these look amazing, and anything with apple and cinnamon usually ranks very highly in my books! I think that if restaurants want to continue to do well, they have to be more accommodating to people with special diets. I think it would be great if some of these GF and vegan recipes made the menu at Panera!

17 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 30, 2011

Congrats on perfecting it!
What do you do with all the “not so good” attempts?

18 The Healthy Hipster June 30, 2011

These look just delicious! And as always I appreciate you showing the not-so-perfect attempts along the way to the perfect recipe. Makes me feel better about that plate of failed tempeh burgers last night…. ;)

19 Joanna June 30, 2011

Congrats! I hope you put up more gluten free recipes…Can’t wait to try these :)

20 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove June 30, 2011

These look delicious! Thank you for putting all that effort into creating them! I may have to whip up a batch myself.

21 Faith @ lovelyascharged June 30, 2011

That does sound like a huge challenge actually. I’ve made some ridiculously gummy vegan/GF dessert breads and always wondered how to remedy it – kudos on figuring it out!

22 kate June 30, 2011

ahh first I saw blueberry lemon and I was excited & now apple I cant wait to try all of these out!!

23 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 30, 2011

Mmmmmm, panera muffins are so good– but these look even better!!

24 Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen June 30, 2011

Love the idea of this challenge! Looks fantastic!

25 Cait's Plate June 30, 2011

You never cease to leave me drooling Angela. You’ve outdone yourself as usual! These would be PERFECT to make after an apple picking haul ;)

26 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa June 30, 2011

What a fun challenge. I wish more of the chain restaurants offered GF and vegan options. Dining out can be difficult if you follow one of these lifestyles!

27 Sara Best June 30, 2011

Thanks so much for all the work you put into getting this right Angela! My daughter and I are just starting to go gluten-free and this is going to be a new recipe we can add to our limited pile of gluten-free, vegan options.

Can’t wait to try these out!

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 30, 2011

Let me know what you think of them!

29 Donna June 30, 2011

Wow Angela – good job and way to persevere!
Gummy muffins actually sound good to me, lol – but i’m sure these are way more delicious :)

30 Krystina (Organically Me) June 30, 2011

I LOVE this Panera challenge! I wish there were even vegan options, let alone GF.

31 Emily June 30, 2011

Hahaha congrats on finally getting a winner!! They look awesome and I’m sure they smell and taste even better! :)

32 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes June 30, 2011

This is soo interesting! I have never heard of alot of these ingredients. The pictures and description makes me want to try it really bad!! haha :)

33 Heather @ Multiply Delicious June 30, 2011

Way to go fellow Dream Day blogger! You did a great job and these muffins look delicious. I’ve been baking gluten-free and vegan free since January and it’s been quite the learning curve, but I promise things can turn out and taste good. :) I can’t wait to try these.

34 Katie June 30, 2011

Oh my gosh, these look fantastic! I love the idea of this challenge, btw- I think it’s important for large chains like Panera to make the effort to offer a variety of foods for people with dietary restrictions

35 marla {family fresh cooking} June 30, 2011

Yay!!! These came out perfect…even through all the trials :) Gotta try this recipe & I am so impressed that you got the vegan/GF thing sorted out. Now I can try too – first with these. xxoo So happy to be in Dream Day with you!

36 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 30, 2011

That’s crazy! I would’ve totally given up after the third failure. But I’m so glad that you toughed it out and delivered us this recipe. I love apple crunch from Panera, and if only you could remake their bear claws, I’d die!

37 The Teenage Taste June 30, 2011

You guys are awesome! I hope Panera catches on and startes selling gluten-free goodies soon! :-D

38 Rebecca June 30, 2011

These look fantastic! Gluten-free baking is one of the hardest things to do and combining that with vegan, you did an amazing job! I can’t wait to try this recipe! Thank you for sharing and all the effort! I actually found out I was a celiac by eating Panera bread when they first came into our area :-)

39 Shanna, Like Banana June 30, 2011

What a great challenge!

And any muffin that has streusel on the top immediately draws my attention. It’s the best part!

40 Stefanie June 30, 2011

They look so good. I bet they are good too. :)

41 Marly June 30, 2011

I’m so glad you persevered – because these muffins look absolutely perfect! I guess you can create your own tips on vegan/GF baking! So glad to have worked with you on this fun project!

42 Jennifer June 30, 2011

This is totally inspirational, and the muffins really do look like something you’d find at Panera or another bakery store! We love what you did, and we’d love you to check out our other healthy eating tips on our blog!

43 Moni'sMeals June 30, 2011

Success! Wow, after 6 trials…I most likely would of thrown in the towel. :)

They really seem delicious and thanks for doing all the hard work for everyone else. If I ever need a GF recipe like this, I know where to go. :)

44 LizAshlee June 30, 2011

Wow, talk about perseverance..6 trials! I would have decided to make something else and had to come back to that recipe later. Happy for you that it finally turned out to be a success! Your work payed off!

I am experimenting with GF baking as well. I haven’t tried teff flour yet, but I have heard of it. What does is taste like? Can you taste the flavor in baked goods?

Have a great day!

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 30, 2011

Personally I love the flavour so far. Very wholesome and not as strong as buckwheat. It was AMAZING combined with almond flour!

46 Jackie @ That Deep Breath June 30, 2011

What a great challenge! Those muffins look awesome. I am not gluten-free, but it will be a great day when we see restaurants and bakery accommidating everyone’s needs, including vegan. All of these diet changes are on the rise, restaurants need to get with it

47 Carly June 30, 2011

Thanks for all the links, I have been having a heck of a time producing and gf baking that is edible. I see why buying GF things at the store is so expensive, people are willing to pay anything not to make them on their own!

48 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 30, 2011

haha so true!

49 Christina June 30, 2011

Those muffins look amazing! I never realized Panera didn’t offer GF stuff, hopefully they’ll see these and make a change. Trial and error makes the world go round, or at least really yummy muffins :)

50 Sonia (the Mexigarian) June 30, 2011

Lol. I have yet to venture into gluten free baking. To be honest, I am a little scared, but the recipes above look so yummy. I have to give this a try.

51 Ashley June 30, 2011

This is too funny!! I just tried making my little mini bundt cakes, GF + Vegan last night. I subbed in chia eggs instead of real eggs, and they ended up pretty gummy. But…in a weird way they are delicious and I can’t stop eating them. Definitely not a recipe to share yet, but still somehow doughy + good. ;) Your muffins look perfect!!

52 Eat Hike Sleep Repeat June 30, 2011

Thanks so much for your trial and erroring. GF baking is a challenge indeed! I have made some breads that were great when fresh out of the oven, but then promptly turned to pucks. Or, breads that were fine warm/toasted, but otherwise quite disgusting.
A great recipe you might want to try/adapt is Gena’s Ancient Grain Breakfast Bread. I skipped the xantham gum, think the bread was still amazingly moist due to the bananas and apple sauce. These two items might just be the magic keys for GF baking.

53 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 30, 2011

I’ve actually never been to a Panera but I think your muffins look fantastic! I’d try one of those for sure even though I eat gluten :D

54 Lindsay June 30, 2011

The muffins look wonderful. I was really looking forward to re-creating the recipe the first time you mentioned the challenge, but alas, it has almond flour and death by nut allergy isn’t at the top of my list. :-)

Guess my hot-pink Kitchen Aid will be getting it’s own experimental workout.

55 Amber K June 30, 2011

I have basically given up on gluten-free baking. Attempting to bake gluten-free W/O xanthan gum and sometimes experimenting with vegan too? Yeah, completely unsuccessful. I really miss certain things (MAN I miss my old whole wheat banana bread recipe).

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 30, 2011

I think one trial i made without x-gum was the one that totally crumbled in my hand…i couldnt believe the difference it made.

57 Amber K June 30, 2011

It totally does!

58 Tatum June 30, 2011

Thanks for ALL your wonderful recipes! I tried TWO of your bars today Me, my husband, sister and her husband are going on a road trip this weekend and I cannot wait to share them with everybody out on the road! Thanks again :]

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 30, 2011

Thank you! Have a great trip :)

60 Shannon June 30, 2011

I love that you’re baking GF now! I went GF at the beginning of the year due to a sensitivity, and it’s probably the hardest dietary change I’ve made yet. It does make it easier to avoid the high calorie sweets I used to indulge in, but sometimes, honestly, I just feel left out. So I’m excited to to have some more recipes to try at home now!

61 melissa June 30, 2011

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Definitely in order. I’ve been working on gluten free cupcakes for months…..still not satisfied with the results. I’m taking a wee break from Gluten free cupcake development right now (it’s the hardest baking challenge by far!), but I’ll get back to the drawing board soon. Can’t wait to try these!
m

62 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 30, 2011

This is such a cool idea for a challenge! As someone with a nut allergy, I can totally relate to the frustration when restaurants and chains don’t offer options that cater to people with intolerances and allergies or who don’t eat animal products. I wonder if any bloggers have ever done a nut-free baking challenge…

Congrats on finally coming up with a good recipe after all that hard work. They look perfect!

63 Lynna @wholeytreats June 30, 2011

Aaah these look wonderful! Congrats on gluten-free vegan success!
I love experimenting in the kitchen and playing around with new ingredeints and recipes too. The only problem (other than occasional frustration) is that it can get soooo expensive!

64 Cat @Breakfast to Bed June 30, 2011

Wow. that’s dedication.

65 emily June 30, 2011

Panera in St. Louis does have gluten free options. Some friends of mine have celiac’s and we can still eat there! Hopefully it’s a new trend and will be in your area soon!

66 Roz June 30, 2011

Congrats on the gluten free success! Speaking of success, because of the postal strike, my latest issue of Best Health JUST arrived yesterday. Congrats on the profile in there!!!!!

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 30, 2011

Oh cool, I havent seen it yet!

68 birdie to be June 30, 2011

Oh my gosh… this look delicious! Great job! I will have to try out this recipe!

69 Emily@RunningPerspective June 30, 2011

oh my gosh all of these look so wonderful!! what a great ideaa!!!

70 Alta June 30, 2011

Great job! I’m proud of your persistence. Gluten free + vegan IS hard! I bake gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free, but I don’t always do vegan, because those eggs are hard to replace when you’re already modifying so much. I keep trying though. Good call on using teff flour. It’s great at holding things together (not as much as gluten, but better than other gluten-free flours). I’ve also noticed that using things like psyllium husks and ground chia seeds (chia eggs) help in vegan GF baking too…just in case you want to venture the GF way again!

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 30, 2011

good thanks! Maybe next time I will try a chia or flax egg in there :)

72 Andrea @ Onion in My Hair June 30, 2011

SO impressive!

And you are right…it’s almost shocking that Panera doesn’t carry anything GF.

73 Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas June 30, 2011

THANK YOU FOR DOING ALL THE TESTING!
MY GLUTEN FREE FOOD BABY WILL THANK YOU LATER!
:-)
P.S. I think I would have munched down on those gummy ones too .. hehe

74 Ellie@fitforthesoul June 30, 2011

Ummmm delicious muffins!! I would like to stick my hands through the screen–but that wouldn’t be a good thing :)

75 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 30, 2011

Gluten free baking is full of trial and error. and lots and lots of error. I haven’t had a lot of luck with Bob’s GF flour and baking either. I found some great GF flour on clearance at my grocery store the other day and it was awesome! I went back to buy them out, but someone had beat me too it.

76 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 30, 2011

“Come on, how difficult could it be?”–

Ahhh, you were just tempting the GF Gods with that statement, weren’t you!

Gummy, gooey, crumbly, yep.

And Bob’s. I have NEVER had success with GF flour blends. Sure, can I get something that’s edible and is “fine”. Yes. Would I ooh and ahh and make it for a special guest or even want to “dive right into it” on my own? Nah.

It’s SO HARD to get the balance right with various GF flours, gums, sodas/powders, liquids, baking time, i was nodding in agreement about the 6 batches of muffins. Better you than me :)

Seriously, amazing recipe AND photography. The melted butter shots…oh, swoon :)

77 Katrina June 30, 2011

This recipe sounds seriously tasty!

78 Arielle (Your Vegan Girlfriend) June 30, 2011

Ahh thank you so much for this wonder gluten-free recipe and the gluten-free links! It’s so hard to find vegan and gluten free yummies to make. You made my day!

79 Dana June 30, 2011

This made my day! :) I’m so happy teff flour worked out well for you. Looks like a very tasty muffin! P.S. Two other GF baking tips that come to mind: I often add buckwheat groats for the muffin top crunch factor, and making muffins with my juicer pulp always makes for a very moist (and usually lower-fat) muffin. Happy Canada Day!

80 Megan@eatmybeets June 30, 2011

That is quite astounding about their menu. Those look delicious!

81 kelsey June 30, 2011

These look scrumptious, and I am so excited that you are doing more gluten-free recipes! I recently had to go gluten-free, and though I love baking, I have definitely found it much more difficult to do it gluten-free (and edibly). I completely admire your determination (and as always, creativity!) in making these– I cannot wait to try them out myself!

82 Jennifer Baldwin June 30, 2011

These sound delish….I will definitely make these once I can track down the ingredients…never heard of teff flower or egg replacer powder…but I’m also a new “vegan wannabe!”. I think my kids will love them.
I have a vegan pumpkin muffin recipe that I will post on my website if anyone’s interested…they are so moist and delicous … my kids devour them !

83 Jasmine June 30, 2011

I am not in the least bit surprised that Panera won’t declare any of their menu items gluten free. The likely hood of cross contamination in this type of bakery is way too high for someone whose health depends on the lack of gluten.

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 30, 2011

Yea I was thinking that too!

85 Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 30, 2011

holy delicious! I admire your persistence!

86 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner June 30, 2011

Oh my gosh. This looks INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

87 Amykinz (foodie4healing) June 30, 2011

Gluten-Free Baking is soooo frustrating! For now, I’ve given up, but I will probably try it again sometime.

88 Hannah (Balancing on Two Feet) June 30, 2011

Yes, GF and vegan baking is so hard! I’ve had way more failures with it than successes! I give so much credit to those who are able to rock it!

89 Trudy ~ Veggie num num June 30, 2011

mmm these look fabulous!! A great reward for all your trail and error, I gotta say I had just as much fun experimenting with the my GF vegan muffins :) Love, love, love the Streusel topping and the use of fresh apple, yum!!!

90 Carol, Simply...Gluten-free June 30, 2011

Yes, vegan/gluten free baking can be challanging but it looks like you did very well! I hope Panera is listening!

91 Denise Ashford June 30, 2011

HI – This recipe looks great… wondering, have you ever tried cooking with Coconut flour or oil. I recently tried a modified version of your brownies using the tef flour with coconut oil.. it turned out great.. Coconut flour, I am not sure about. The texture is not the same as other flours, although tasty. I have been trying to avoid gluten. its really difficult if you like baked goods!! ha ha. Let me know if you have had any luck with the coconut flour or oil.
Best,
D

92 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 30, 2011

Hey Denise,
Ive tried baking with coconut flour and I didnt have a great outcome. I find that it really dries out the baked good and it was very crumbly! I’ve heard that from others too, so I think it is more difficult to work with (at least with vegan baking).
Coconut oil…I love!

93 Meredith June 30, 2011

Those muffins look awesome! Gluten free baking is definitely something I’ve finally worked up the courage to try – I think these muffins will be one of my first endeavors!

94 Molly @ RDexposed June 30, 2011

This is just waiting for fall to roll around!

95 Kristin @ STUFT Mama July 1, 2011

Love the Panera challenge. My boys and I were just there yesterday drooling over all the goodies in the glass case. Ha! Can’t wait to try the GF muffins!!!!!!!!! I’ve never heard of Teff flour. Where can I get it?

96 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers July 1, 2011

Smart idea! My friends and I usually get together and eat muffins – not make them. :) Yup, we’re a lazy bunch.

97 eva @5fruitsNveggies July 1, 2011

congratulations on the patience to learn what worked!…the final product looks lovely….but i am certain the ‘gummy’ ones tasted good too….
i am delving into GF baking and discovering how to use new flours—i like teff–it’s my new favorite….i even like the sandy texture (that’s when i swoop in a spoon to eat half the raw dough)….

98 Angelique July 1, 2011

Thank you so much for all of the testing and research you did!
GF Vegan is the only kind of baked goodies I can eat and from my own experiments, I completely appreciate the difficulty of getting it just right, so your efforts are greatly appreciated!

99 kris (everyday oats) July 3, 2011

Wow – these look fantastic!!
I can’t even imagine going through 6 trials to perfect a muffin. I give up most of the time after just 1 fail..
Do you usually make full batches as you test out recipes or do you make smaller batches and tweak it as you get closer?

100 Alissa July 5, 2011

Yum – How delicious do these look!? I have never used teff flour before. I guess now I will have to give it a go :)

101 JenATX July 7, 2011

wow! good job on tackling that challenge :)

102 Sweetberry May 31, 2012

Wow! I can’t believe so many of you don’t like Bob’s GF all purpose flour. I have had tremendous success with it. Sometimes people couldn’t even tell that my muffins/pancakes/quick breads are gluten free. I love Bob’s GF AP Flour! I do, however, like playing around with different flours too – so this recipe looks really exciting to me!

103 Audrey Rothbacher July 10, 2012

Hello! I’ve been GF for five years now and DF for one year. I LOVE to bake and at first I was very discouraged. But I couldn’t just give up (I’m a taurus, too) so I went on trying different items. The two ingredients that have COMPLETELY changed my thoughts on GF and vegan baking are:
– King Arthurs GF flour blend. Yes, it’s pricey, but so worth it! It makes everything taste like “REAL” food (as quoted from my extremely picky husband). He couldn’t even tell the difference between GF/vegan muffins I made, he thought they were regular muffins!
– Earth Balance Buttery Sticks. Now, I have tried just about every single butter alternative that is dairy free (not just lactose-free, because I am too sensitive for that). I had been sorely disappointed by all of them and almost had given up hope for my baked goods turning out right until I found this miraculous product. It tastes like butter, spreads like butter, melts like butter and has no weird effects on any baked goods. Try it, you’ll love it! Also, it’s a great for greasing pans for bread and such!

104 Audrey Rothbacher July 10, 2012

I also HATE bob’s flour blend. It only works about half the time and I cannot stand the aftertaste/smell the foods acquire after just several hours of cooking, let alone trying to eat the leftover pancakes that I froze (thinking it would be okay). I will never buy bob’s flour again after finding the King Arthur’s blend!

105 Kate September 11, 2012

I’m amazed at your determination for the perfect delicious gluten free muffin!
I was wondering, in your 6 trials (!), if it is possible to omit xanthan gum?

I love reading your blog!!! :)

106 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 11, 2012

Sadly no! Enjoy :)

107 Kay November 25, 2012

Hi. Thanks for the great recipe. These are delicious muffins. I have made them twice now and both times they have tasted great but looked horrible! LOL! I’m not sure what the problem is but the streusel topping keeps sinking into the center of them and creating a hole in the middle of the top of them. Any ideas what may have happened to cause this? Like I said, these taste great so I’ll keep making them even if they are ugly!

108 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2012

Hey Kay, Hmm Im not sure! Did you make any changes to the recipe ingredients?

109 Kay November 25, 2012

No changes to the ingredients at all. I followed it exactly as written and used standard size muffin tins. At first I thought it was from overfilling the muffin cups. (This recipe does seem to make enough to fill more than 12 cups). The second time I made them I tried to make sure they were more evenly filled and some had less of a hole in them but they all seemed to have a depression in the top, if not a hole. Nonetheless, they are delicious and I don’t care if they look funny, although I wouldn’t want to serve them to guests! ;-)

110 Angela February 19, 2013

I made these for a neighbourhood brunch on the weekend and they were delicious! I am making another batch now since there weren’t any leftovers!
Chatelaine printed a gluten free recipe spread that had almost identical recipe but it was for carrot cupcakes. I replaced the eggs with one egg replace and one flax egg and they were very good also! The crumb topping on yours takes the cake though!

111 Camille March 29, 2013

Angela… I made these last night. The batter didn’t yield 12 for me, only 10, but that’s fine. What I mean to say is that… I ate all 10 this morning! CRAP! Mine seemed to be a little smaller than yours, but nonetheless, that’s still quite a bit! They were absolutely delicious and I don’t feel that guilty about it! I didn’t have teff flour so I used brown rice flour instead and I didn’t have tapioca starch so I used corn starch instead and they were great! Lovely texture. No granny smith apple so I used a pink lady. Salads and green smoothies for me for the rest of the day and tomorrow. ;) Thank you for the deliciousness though!

112 Sky October 16, 2013

I was looking for a recipe that would be appropriate for both gluten free folks and vegans and came across this. I made the muffins and brought them to a client meeting. Everybody absolutely raved about them.

I used coarse sugar for the topping and have to say that it was a bit difficult to tell when the muffin was done. I had done 1 test muffin without the topping and that one was much easier to gauge… Also, there really wasn’t a lot of batter so I went with 9 muffin instead of 12, which worked out pretty well.

Thanks Angela for all your trials and errors putting together this recipe! I will definitely be making this one again!

113 Kat March 3, 2014

I made these tonight! I subbed brown rice flour for teff flour. I baked mini muffins for 19 min and full-sized muffins for 28min. Delish!! They turned out great even at high altitude. Love the recipes!

114 Stephanie July 12, 2014

Do you think replacing the almond flour with coconut flour would work? We need nut free for our schools and events.