Blame It On The Rain

There’ s no better way to start a summer day…

IMG_8292

Man oh man was this morning’s Green Monster good!

Guess where this kale came from?

IMG_8102

Just my veggie garden, that’s all. No big deal. ;) I’ve clearly advanced from a Black Thumb to a Brown Thumb.

IMG_8294

• 4 frozen mango chunks
  • Handful blueberries
  • 4-5 strawberries
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 2 ice cubes

IMG_8302

This was absolutely delicious. And it rekindled my love for Vega Vanilla Almondilla Shake & Go! I go through protein powder phases all the time. For a while I was in love with the Vega Choc-o-lot Shake & Go and then I got sick of it. Now, I ‘m using this one and also Vega Smoothie Infusion (120 kcals and 14 grams protein per serving). This Vanilla Almondilla has 11 grams of protein per serving. You can click the picture below to enlarge.

IMG_8305

So back to that crazy kale!

IMG_8100

Major growth has been going down over the past couple weeks. It’s crazy that I’ve only had my garden planted for just 5 weeks now.

Kale, May 23, 2011:

IMG_6100

Kale, June 29, 2011:

IMG_8180

I’ve started harvesting kale this week. I can’t get over how fresh and crisp the leaves are. They also aren’t as bitter as I’m used to.

IMG_8182

The bell pepper plants seem to be getting ready for a little pepper sprouting action!! So cute.

IMG_8179

I HAVE PEAS!

IMG_8187

“When the pea pods are swollen (appear round) they are ready to be picked. Pick a few pods every day or two near harvest time to determine when the peas are at the proper stage for eating. Peas are of the best quality when they are fully expanded but immature, before they become hard and starchy. Peas should be picked immediately before cooking because their quality, especially sweetness (like that of sweet corn), deteriorates rapidly.” [Source]

IMG_8184

The two cucumber plants continue to grow like weeds…

IMG_8190

See the little yellow flowers?

The first yellow flowers appearing on the plants are male flowers that provide pollen. These flowers normally drop off after blooming. The small cucumber is evident at the base of the female flower (even before it opens) and should develop into an edible fruit if properly pollinated. Anything that interferes with pollination of the female flowers reduces fruit set and yield, including cold temperatures and rainy weather that hamper bee activity or improper use of insecticides that kill bees. [Source] <—That would explain why there are so many bees around my garden!

The romaine is HUGE. I’m going to make a Caesar Salad tonight!

IMG_8193

IMG_8198

Onions! (Apparently I planted these way too close together)

IMG_8200

An animal dug up one of my tomato plants and it died. :( My other two tomato plants were also disturbed, but they seem to be bouncing back with a little TLC.

In conclusion, I have no idea what the heck I’m doing and somehow it’s working out. :)

~~~

By the way, I have 108 recipes entered and counting!

Page 3 of 3«123
Alexis August 17, 2013

I’m going out today to get the ingredients to try my first G.M! Thanks so much for all the recipes. I’ve only just gone vegan and this site is a lifesaver.

Tove August 31, 2012

Hi Angela!
Thanks for a wonderful blog!
I want to ask you if you got any tips on how to make a kale smoothie really smooth? I’m having such problems and thinks it tastes pretty awful with bits in it. It may be so that my blender is not that good, so I do also wanna ask you what kind of blender do you use?
Thanks again! / Tove

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2012

Ive had probs with that in the past and it was due to my blender. Once I got a vitamix the problem went away. They are expensive but I think I could have easily gone through several blenders by now and racked up the same amount of moula (I had already gone through 2-3 before I finally got the vitamix). Maybe you could try using a bit less kale or even steaming it first to help break it down? I also find Dinosaur kale to be much smoother than curly kale.

elise July 2, 2011

man i am so jealous of your garden! sorry about the allergic reaction, hope it doesnt happen again! so bizarre. which vega is your all time favorite?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2011

taste wise probably choc o lot :)

Maddie June 30, 2011

Baby kale is soooooo much cuter and less intimidating than full-grown kale.

Laura @ prettylittlewords June 30, 2011

Ohhh that romaine looks SO tasty! :)

michelle June 30, 2011

You’ve convinced grow kale next year. I find you really need a good blender (like Vitamix) for kale shakes otherwise there’s a little chewing going on :)

eva @5fruitsNveggies June 30, 2011

2nd blog i’ve read today about protein powder—now i just need to read it in a 3rd blog to go try some vegan or raw protein powder-lol…actually i have it on my WFs list now….i also go in and out with protein powder…lately not likely the one with soy since i think my intake of soy products is already high enough…

Danielle June 30, 2011

I wish I had a garden like that! Not that easy living on a houseboat in the centre of Amsterdam;) That’s some delicious looking green monster!

Sam June 30, 2011

I love your garden! I love my garden tooo :) It’s so fun and rewarding to grow your own food! I live in an apartment so I am proud of my mini garden in pots! Next time I might just try kale!

Johanna June 30, 2011

Wow Angela! Your garden looks amazing!!! I started today also with a green smoothie – I wish we would have kale here in Israel – unfortunatelly the weather is too hot for it… I just growing a lots of cherry tomatoes, lettuce, sunflowers and a lot of spices and herbs on my rooftop garden. Have a great day!

bitt of raw June 30, 2011

nothing like really fresh LIVE food from the garden! i think baby kale is way less bitter too. I get used it this spring and now it’s hard to go back to the larger leaves.

ashley @ cooking for john June 29, 2011

eeep! your garden is doing great, even if you don’t know what you’re doing. ;)

i just bought some kale at the farmer’s market today (next best thing!) and can’t wait to have a delicious green monster tomorrow!

'Dee June 29, 2011

Can’t resist:
“In conclusion, I have no idea what the heck I’m doing and somehow it’s working out.”
……….in other words … story of my life :-)

LOVE the garden-fresh GM!

Ellie@fitforthesoul June 29, 2011

oohh wowwww this is so exciting! look at you ms. gardener~~! Haha, this post really excited me and motivates me to think about gardening in the future :D

Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers June 29, 2011

I planted my first garden this year as well, and so far I’ve gotten a few strawberries. potatoes, lots of basil and spinach, and some lettuce. I researched everything, but I too felt like I had no idea what I was doing. I’ve been battling a gopher eating some of my plants, but other than that it’s gone pretty well, and I’ve definitely learned how I would change things if I do another garden.

KR June 29, 2011

Don’t forget to keep up with weeding! You don’t want those gorgeous plants to get crowded out!

Brooke June 29, 2011

Awesome garden! Baby steps, right?

Brooke Annessa

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life June 29, 2011

I’m so jealous of your beautiful garden! I live in a third story apartment, so no chance of gardening for me. My potted basil plant will have to do for now. I actually prefer spinach in my GM’s – maybe I’ll try kale again this weekend. If not, I know kale chips will always be my BFF. :)

Jen June 29, 2011

YAY for the garden! That romaine looks heavenly. My MIL keeps giving me fresh green onions from her garden and they are SO GOOD….I may never be able to eat store bought green onions again. Enjoy!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner June 29, 2011

Congrats on your recipe page! :)

I LOVE YOUR RECIPES ANGELA!!!!! Your blog is one of if not THE BEST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

haha thanks ;)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath June 29, 2011

Your garden is beautiful! I love having home grown veggies around the house…they taste better knowing so much work went into them!

zoe (and the beatles) June 29, 2011

gah! i wish i could grow a garden! it’s such a big dream of mine. but i don’t live in a house with a big enough backyard. the perils of a new college graduate…;)

Annie@stronghealthyfit June 29, 2011

Your garden is gorgeous!

Tichina June 29, 2011

My grocery store finally carries kale!!!! I have had it for 48 hours and have probably searched different 48 recipes wondering how best to eat it haha. I think I’m safe with this one yayy!! :)

Eating Smart (Tracy) June 29, 2011

Where do you buy Vanilla Almondilla Shake & Go Protein Powder? I have never seen it before and would love to try it. Love your blog, it is beautiful.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

Superstore and bulk barn :)

Molly @ RDexposed June 29, 2011

I started my day with a GS, too. Unfortunately, I used the last of my spinach on it. My garden spinach needs to grow faster!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 29, 2011

I am so very impressed by your veggie garden!!!

Erica Vore June 29, 2011

I discovered Kale chips earlier this summer. Everyone in my family (including my two year old) devours them! You garden is inspirational!

Hannah (Balancing on Two Feet) June 29, 2011

The garden is looking fabulous! Everything is growing out of control here in Ohio too because of the wet weather. Now that we finally have sun we can start to enjoy it!

Moni'sMeals June 29, 2011

I love your garden. I am so wanting to move to a place where I have plenty of room and a garden. At least I have your pictures! All that kale…YUMMMM!

Now that is a great Green Monster~ Oh lord!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite June 29, 2011

That is one gorgeous green monster! Congrats on your flourishing garden!! :) So exciting to see things grow like that.

Yolie @ Practising Wellness June 29, 2011

congratulations on your beautiful garden and green leaves! :-) xyx

Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen June 29, 2011

Yay for a green thumb (don’t sell yourself short!) I’d loveee fresh kale.

Jen June 29, 2011

This post is so cute, Angela! I’m growing my first garden ever this year and I get TOTALLY excited when I see everything growing. I went out last night to water & just wander around looking at all the little plants and I saw OMG I HAVE A PEA!!! Yay! So it made me laugh to see you doing the same thing. :o)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

haha I totally screamed when I saw the pea pods! I never thought they would grow I guess.

Emily June 29, 2011

Congrats on your garden!! My kale plant from LAST summer survived through the winter and is still going strong. :)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes June 29, 2011

I am hooked ( of course )on your green monsters with spinach! BUT I am still working up the nerve to try it with Kale. I know it probs will not even taste different :)

Iris June 29, 2011

I would LOVE to have my own garden! When I was little, I had my own small piece of garden. Now I’m a student and have no garden at all :( Maybe when I’m older :D

Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas June 29, 2011

I want some of your romaine!!!! It’s soo greeeeeen!
It makes me wish I didn’t live on the 9th floor of a big building! –> Garden Jealousy

Katie June 29, 2011

You’re learning to garden the only way to do it – just dig in. Nothing tastes better than the literal fruits of your own labor! Nothing.