Blame It On The Rain

There’ s no better way to start a summer day…

IMG_8292

Man oh man was this morning’s Green Monster good!

Guess where this kale came from?

IMG_8102

Just my veggie garden, that’s all. No big deal. ;) I’ve clearly advanced from a Black Thumb to a Brown Thumb.

IMG_8294

• 4 frozen mango chunks
  • Handful blueberries
  • 4-5 strawberries
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 2 ice cubes

IMG_8302

This was absolutely delicious. And it rekindled my love for Vega Vanilla Almondilla Shake & Go! I go through protein powder phases all the time. For a while I was in love with the Vega Choc-o-lot Shake & Go and then I got sick of it. Now, I ‘m using this one and also Vega Smoothie Infusion (120 kcals and 14 grams protein per serving). This Vanilla Almondilla has 11 grams of protein per serving. You can click the picture below to enlarge.

IMG_8305

So back to that crazy kale!

IMG_8100

Major growth has been going down over the past couple weeks. It’s crazy that I’ve only had my garden planted for just 5 weeks now.

Kale, May 23, 2011:

IMG_6100

Kale, June 29, 2011:

IMG_8180

I’ve started harvesting kale this week. I can’t get over how fresh and crisp the leaves are. They also aren’t as bitter as I’m used to.

IMG_8182

The bell pepper plants seem to be getting ready for a little pepper sprouting action!! So cute.

IMG_8179

I HAVE PEAS!

IMG_8187

“When the pea pods are swollen (appear round) they are ready to be picked. Pick a few pods every day or two near harvest time to determine when the peas are at the proper stage for eating. Peas are of the best quality when they are fully expanded but immature, before they become hard and starchy. Peas should be picked immediately before cooking because their quality, especially sweetness (like that of sweet corn), deteriorates rapidly.” [Source]

IMG_8184

The two cucumber plants continue to grow like weeds…

IMG_8190

See the little yellow flowers?

The first yellow flowers appearing on the plants are male flowers that provide pollen. These flowers normally drop off after blooming. The small cucumber is evident at the base of the female flower (even before it opens) and should develop into an edible fruit if properly pollinated. Anything that interferes with pollination of the female flowers reduces fruit set and yield, including cold temperatures and rainy weather that hamper bee activity or improper use of insecticides that kill bees. [Source] <—That would explain why there are so many bees around my garden!

The romaine is HUGE. I’m going to make a Caesar Salad tonight!

IMG_8193

IMG_8198

Onions! (Apparently I planted these way too close together)

IMG_8200

An animal dug up one of my tomato plants and it died. :( My other two tomato plants were also disturbed, but they seem to be bouncing back with a little TLC.

In conclusion, I have no idea what the heck I’m doing and somehow it’s working out. :)

~~~

By the way, I have 108 recipes entered and counting!

1 The Teenage Taste June 29, 2011

That green monster does look really good. I never thought of using kale in green monsters – I always use spinach. I guess I’ll have to give it a try next time!

PS – I’m making your Edamame Pasta for dinner tonight! :-)

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

less is more with kale in a GM and I always make sure to make it a bit more sweet than I normally would with spinach to balance out the taste. :)

3 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove June 29, 2011

I’m so jealous of your garden! I would love to have one. Do you think lettuce would grow in a planter on a window sill? Maybe I’ll go try that…

BTW, The green monster looks delicious! I’ve seen a few versions online but yours has the most fruit I’ve ever seen in it. I like that a lot!

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

I always amp up the fruit when using kale…makes it taste great!

5 Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 29, 2011

Amazing veggies from your garden! Does the kale taste any different from kale you buy?

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

It’s fresher and a bit less bitter :)

7 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans June 29, 2011

I am so jealous of your garden! I wish that I had the space to grow fresh vegetables. I might tr my hand at some herbs and see how that goes :)

8 Cait's Plate June 29, 2011

AH so exciting!! It’s my dream one day to eat my own grown produce :) Look how vibrant it made that green monster! :)

Congrats on the successful garden – it’s BEAUTIFUL!

9 Faith @ lovelyascharged June 29, 2011

It’s a gorgeous garden – I never would’ve believe it wasn’t planted by an expert! I’m looking forward to a time when I have the land space for my own garden!

10 Mac June 29, 2011

What an awesome garden! Keep up the whatever it is you’re doing…wish I could run to my backyard and pick out some greens like you! Maybe next year :)

11 jenna June 29, 2011

LOL!!! i’m so happy your for your garden! it looks gorgeous!! wishing i would have planted something now!

12 suzanne June 29, 2011

I was JUST looking at all the different powders and trying to figure out the best to get. I have looked at the vega many times but opted for the sun warrior (I think vega had stevia maybe and that made me decide on the other). I want to try it though – got a little packet to try. Feels like a commitment when you order as the containers are large and expensive! I also am trying the amazing grass chocolate infusion (again had trouble deciding b/w the protein one and the other – too many options!!!!). Hoping my kids like the chocolate – we just got a vitamix and the amount of veggies and fruit my kids are eating has tripled! Thanks for all you do!

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

Ive been wanting to try Sun Warrior but thought there was stevia in it (Im not a fan of the taste). The Vega powders I mentioned above don’t list stevia as an ingredient. :) Yes there are too many options sometimes!

14 Lisa Fine June 29, 2011

Our kale is doing really well too! I’ve been picking a big handful of leaves almost every day to add to my smoothies, and love how it’s not bitter at all.

The garden is looking great! See, your black thumb is changing. :)

15 Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 29, 2011

Ha, that’s a great thing about gardening! For the most part if you just plant them and let nature run its course, most of it will turn out! I’m jealous that you’re growing your own kale!!! I haven’t seen any around me!

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

I agree- I think nature has its ‘system’ pretty down pat! lol.

17 suzanne June 29, 2011

BTW – your garden is gorgeous—I am doing one at a friends house and hope to have my own next year. It is a learning curve for sure :-) You are a good learner

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

That’s so cool that you are growing veggies at your friends place! What a great idea.

19 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 29, 2011

WOW Ange! I’m more than impressed! Everything looks amazing and you’re right -that lettuce is huge! How nice to enjoy a green monster made with your own kale! I tried the Vega Tropical Tango Shake-n-Go yesterday and thought it was ok, but the vanilla Whole Food Health Optimizer still reigns superior in my books! Have a great day and enjoy your caesar salad tonight!

20 Aine @ Something to Chew Over June 29, 2011

I’m so jealous of your veggie garden, I only have a window to work with! :(

That protein powder looks yummy, I love the combination of vanilla and almond. One of my favourite ways to flavour overnight oats and yoghurt is with a couple of drops of both of these extracts.

21 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 29, 2011

Aw that’s so awesome that you can harvest your own Green Monsters! And I’d LOVE to have romaine growing like that in my backyard :)

22 Noelle June 29, 2011

Your garden looks precious Angela! Congrats! I can’t wait to have my own place to have my own garden. All I can manage are my own herbs AND that makes me happy!

23 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe June 29, 2011

That is awesome! The romaine looks kind of different than I’m used to…fresher and crisper. Can’t wait to grow my own food some day!

24 Amanda June 29, 2011

I’m very impressed with your lettuce! I can’t get a decent head of lettuce to grow for the life of me! You can always head back out and get a replacement tomato plant. It might be a little late to bloom but you’ll still have plenty of time harvest if you plant it now.

25 Baking Serendipity June 29, 2011

Your garden looks fantastic! Mine is not making it through the Phoenix heat. There is nothing better than the pride of your own veggies in food :)

26 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama June 29, 2011

You give me hope that I may be able to have a veggie garden some day! Looking fantastic.

27 lauren@spicedplate June 29, 2011

such pretty kale! we planted a whole bed dedicated to the lovely green — i’ve even been making cookies with it! veggies from beyond your doorstep taste the best, I think. And what an awesome green monster today! I mentioned your love for green monster smoothies in my last blog post– I love seeing them all and then making them!

28 katie June 29, 2011

Kale is good in smoothies?! I would think it would make it bitter. The garden progress makes me happy to see!

29 Hannah Hawley June 29, 2011

The garden looks fantastic! Enjoy it, ours is a bit behind due to the rain and lack of sun.
The onions look perfect. What you do now is thin them! You pull a few and use them now for cooking, and when they is a row left with space in between you let them grow! You can eat new onions, or baby onions for a little bit!

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

ohhh I think I remember reading something like that! Thanks!

31 Hannah Hawley June 29, 2011

One of the great benefits of planting onions to close together to start :-)

32 Julie @ Shining From Within June 29, 2011

I have romaine that needs to be picked too! Do you know how to tell if does need to be harvested? I’m currently just judging by the out of controlness lol

33 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

haha same here!! Eric was like…’aren’t you going to pick any leaves??’ and I was like, ‘YOU mean I can already????’ Im so afraid of killing it, but I think its ready!

34 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 29, 2011

I was wondering the same thing. I’m always concerned that I’ll harvest too many herbs at once and kill my plants.

35 Cait @ Beyond Bananas June 29, 2011

Your garden is SO plush and greeen. I am jealous. I don’t even have a space for a garden!

36 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious June 29, 2011

I can’t believe how fast your garden is growing! We have some grape tomatoes starting and a couple of jalapenos. I see some homemade salsa in the very near future!

37 denise June 29, 2011

Wow! Your garden looks great! Doesn’t it make you feel proud to know that YOU made that happen :) Enjoy the caesar salad!

38 Emily June 29, 2011

Ahhh I miss having a vegetable garden – there’s so many highs and so many lows! Yours is looking utterly beautiful so far though Angela :D xx

39 Nikki T June 29, 2011

I hope my black thumb can pull off a little garden like that next year!

40 Jen June 29, 2011

You have just made me SO jealous with your garden! I want a garden so badly. That green monster is definitely a victory smoothie! :)

41 Chantal June 29, 2011

Wow! You’re garden is doing amazing, congrats :) (Though I have envy for your peas). I’ not sure how cucumbers take to grow but our plants are kind of just… there. I’m not sure it’s even really grown since I put it in the ground and yet it’s not dead either. We’ll see!

On a random note (and yes, sorry if this is kind of a shameless plug), if you want more of those Vega packs, I’m currently hosting a giveaway for a bunch of their different kinds til the end of the week :)

42 Leia June 29, 2011

Your veggie garden looks amazing! If you have a brown thumb I don’t even KNOW what mine is… I even managed to kill a cactus once :\ haha. I’d love to be able to grow and pick and eat my own veggies!

43 Katie June 29, 2011

Mmm, I am not normally a kale fan- it’s always so bitter to me!- but you have me wanting to try it out in my garden. I have a black thumb, too, but you’re giving me the confidence to get a little crazy :)

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

Ive discovered that kale is seriously FOOL PROOF! Well, when you start from a baby plant that is, haha. I think I heard seeds are easy too. I will try that next year.

45 Natalie June 29, 2011

Wow, how gorgeous is that romaine?!?!

46 Stephanie @Lungesandlunch June 29, 2011

LOVE the recipage – must be taking a lot of work, but it looks amazing!

And I’m so so impressed with your garden. I think that’s fantastic that you’re eating the fruits of your garden! Go you!

47 Ashley June 29, 2011

Gorgeous! I’m house sitting for a couple of weeks in beautiful St. George, Utah– at my boyfriend’s sister’s house. They have a wonderful garden out back full of basil, grapes, tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, etc. I’m so amazed by it all! Soon, we’re going to be able to pick a plum, zucchini, crook neck squash and some tomatoes! :)

48 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 29, 2011

I’m SO jealous of your garden!!! We travel too much in the summer to grow a proper veggie garden, and I’m always so envious of people who have their own veggies to pick and cook and eat!

49 giordin June 29, 2011

oh i love your garden! i would absolutely love to have my own garden, but i don’t have a yard =( i have a huge patio, though, so i wonder what kinds of plants i could get to grow in giant pots…

50 Emily June 29, 2011

Your kale gives me such hope for my little kale plants!! They do grow fast but we planted ours a little later so they are still just baby plants. Looking forward to trying them in GM’s when they grow!

51 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 29, 2011

Oh my gosh, I didn’t think it was possible to drool over lettuce, but your romaine looks so fresh and crisp. I wish I had a garden!

52 Heather (heathers dish) June 29, 2011

That’s the exact same approach I take with gardening too! Love it :)

53 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

you win some you lose some…not just a gardening motto but life motto perhaps!

54 Shanna, Like Banana June 29, 2011

Holy moly, your garden looks great! I want to come over and munch on all the goodness!

Can’t wait to see all the recipes that will come!

55 Beth June 29, 2011

You definitely have a green thumb!
Too bad your tomato plant died, but I bet the bunny had a nice snack ;)

56 Shay June 29, 2011

Congrats on your brown thumb! (I can definitely sympathize with black-thumb syndrome, although it looks like you’re leaving me in the dust!) Your garden looks so scrumptious. I had a good chuckle over the name of your GM– “Milli Vanilli.” ha! Love it.

57 Ashley June 29, 2011

Oooh, I love hearing about your garden success. Maybe I’ll actually plant next summer. I don’t even know what I would do if I had kale on hand whenever I wanted it!! The romaine looks gorgeous. yum!

58 Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) June 29, 2011

Wow! Your garden is GORGEOUS! The only thing I’ve been successful at so far is my tomato plants! I have 3 growing like CrAzY! I planted swiss chard, but it isn’t looking to hot right now… My basil was doing really well, fingers crossed it bounces back!

Your kale looks great! And so does that romaine! and those peas!

59 Aly June 29, 2011

Your garden is super impressive, nice job! I would love to start one, but I don’t have the space right now. I have a little basil and strawberry plant and well as one bell pepper (fingers crossed). Congratulations though, this is so exciting!

60 Morgan June 29, 2011

I have to tell you that I have been jealous of your garden since day one, but now that I have seen the beautiful stuff coming out of it I am even more jealous. I have been toying with the idea of starting one of my own and now I know I have to.

61 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 29, 2011

Way to go! Ah you make me want to garden… which is probably a very, very dangerous thing. Maybe next year.

62 Paige is Running Around Normal June 29, 2011

I would declare that thumb bright GREEN! Looks great:)

63 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 29, 2011

Awesome!! You guys must have nicer weather than we do here, because my garden is growing SO slowly… :(

Looking forward to the Caersar salad recipe!

64 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

I heard that a lot of things are delayed out west this year due to the weather. :( boo! sending good growth vibes your way. :)

65 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) June 29, 2011

Looking at your garden photos has me sitting here with a huge grin on my face. I just love home grown produce. Can’t wait to have my own garden !

66 KaraHadley June 29, 2011

Get ready for a TON of cucumbers! I planted 3 plants for my mom and she says that she gets at least 4 a day now. One day she even had 15 ready for picking. I suggest lots and lots of refrigerator pickles.

67 Stephanie @ Live Cook Love June 29, 2011

The romaine lettuce looks AMAZING! I can’t wait to plant a garden one day!

68 Eat Hike Sleep Repeat June 29, 2011

Well done! I’m very jealous that you are eating stuff out of your garden already. BC has been too cold and my lettuce still has not grown :( However, my peas are in good shape and my upside down tomato plant is looking promising. I left my 2 kale plants to go to seed, and hope they will start some new plants. For someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing, you’re have some great beginners luck. Nice!

69 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 29, 2011

Yaaay! Your garden looks amazing! That smoothie must have tasted extra good :D
I find kale when it’s super fresh isn’t as bitter. I love it when it’s super fresh :) I’m so jealous of your peas, we love them so much but something started eating ours so they’re a little behind. Plus it’s been so cold in BC :(

70 Alex Eats Green June 29, 2011

What a BEAUTIFUL garden. I live in New York City and am so jealous of anyone who has a backyard/ can grow things. I have some measly basil and mint plants. :( Gorgeous green photos!

71 Katherine June 29, 2011

I need to try one of these green monsters!
Any good recipe for a newbie?

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

I have a virgin green monster recipe on http://www.greenmonstermovement.com :) Also, my classic green monster go to recipe is on my recipes page under breakfast at the top of the list!

73 Stephanie June 29, 2011

Where did you get that wonderfully wide straw for smoothies? I have been searching for a reusable smoothie straw and have been unsuccessful.

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

Its from Glass D’harma :)

75 Sara June 29, 2011

Wow home grown romaine is gorgeous, much better looking than in a store.

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

I know right? I dont think ive ever seen it so fresh!

77 Amanda June 29, 2011

That green monster looks great!!! I am using both Vega products right now too since they don’t have strawberries, chocolate, or soy in them and they are so good in my smoothies!
Your garden looks great!! I can’t wait to hear how everything else progresses

78 Erin June 29, 2011

Congrats on your veggie success! I planted a little herb garden this year and have been about 50% successful. I almost don’t want to eat the herbs because I’m proud I managed to grow them! Also, I noticed that the parsley had a LOT more flavor than parsley from the store or even my CSA.

79 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh June 29, 2011

Sooo jealous of your peas! I have beans I’m keeping my fingers crossed for!

80 Fae June 29, 2011

Wow, I can’t believe how fast the kale grew. I’m so jealous – I wished I lived in a house.

81 Holly @ Pink Runner June 29, 2011

I’ve been going through so many of your older posts today and writing down SO many recipes!! Everything looks SO GOOD :) Your garden looks great!

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

thanks holly!

83 kaila @ healthy helper! June 29, 2011

Yay! Congrats on having a successful garden! I can’t wait till I can start harvesting some veggies from mine!

84 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 29, 2011

I tried that Vanilla Almondilla protein powder and I wasn’t a fan – I found it had a weird aftertaste! I want to give the chocolate one a try and see if I like it better.

Your garden is looking amazing! That’s so exciting that you’re already able to pick some kale from it. :D

85 VeggieGirl June 29, 2011

you were the first person to introduce me to Green Smoothies!

I can only imagine how lovely your sweet peas are going to be, I used to have the fresh from the plant as kid soo yummy

86 Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness June 29, 2011

Jealous that you can have your own home veggie garden! I’ve wanted to forever… but I know my dog would eat everything in .5 seconds!

87 Sonia (the Mexigarian) June 29, 2011

Yeah, I’m convinced. I should really grow some kale because it’s a staple in my house and costs a pretty penny at the market at the store.

You’re garden looks amazing so far! Thriving even. :D

88 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

hehe yea I figure im going to save millions over the course of my life ;)

89 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 29, 2011

Congrats on the kale success! It looks beautiful! It almost makes me wish I had a yard. :)

90 Morgan @ Operation Hot Mama June 29, 2011

Wow! Awesome job on your garden!!! It looks amazing!!

I planted just a few seedlings in a small pot and some ruthless bunny had his way with the seeds :( I tried again and moved them up onto a table before I plant them so I am hoping for the best but you should be so proud of yourself!!

91 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 29, 2011

Our kale is taking forEVER to grow! I am so excited though. It’s dinosaur kale, which I think is simply beautiful. Vanilla Almondilla is my favorite!

92 Katrina June 29, 2011

You have such a beautiful garden! Love the photos!

93 Alaina June 29, 2011

Your pictures are so making me want a garden! I love the idea of picking fresh veggies and fruit.

94 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 29, 2011

Congrats on getting all those recipes entered! I looked into the Recipage system, realized the sheer time commitment it would take and decided…nope. That’s a project for my next lifetime. If i had started out w/ the system as a new blogger, it would have been great but hundreds of recipes later…nah, can’t handle dealing. You are a better woman than I. :)

And the Vega review..thanks for that. I have seen it but havent tried it. I have both of the others you linked from Vega and they’re tasty every now and then.

And look at you Mrs. Green Thumb…way to go. Or grow. :)

95 Emily June 29, 2011

Hi Angela,
Wow so happy that your Veggie garden is doing well!
I was just wondering where you can purchase the Vega Vanilla Almondilla Shake & Go Protein Powder? Would I be able to find this at my local Great Canadian SuperStore Organic section??
Thanks

96 Anna Crouch June 29, 2011

Emily, they sell it at Whole Foods :)

97 Meredith June 29, 2011

Not sure where in Canada you live, but I’ve seen it at the Atlantic Superstore here in Halifax, in the organic section!

98 Emily June 29, 2011

Hi Meredith,
I live in Ontario…… I will have to check it out!

99 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

I buy it at superstore and bulk barn :)

100 Anna Crouch June 29, 2011

Oh, for real??? You like the almondilla flavor?? I have to be honest that I was TOTALLY disgusted with it! I’m sorry!! lol I’m not sure what it was about it, but it literally made me gag. Love the other flavors though!

101 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

you know what I hated it at first but it has grown on me!! I only use 1 tbsp at a time though.

102 Meg June 29, 2011

Looks tasty!!! I will have to try this green drink. Do you have a recommendation on either the vita mixer or juicer? I am in the market and there are so many to choose from?

103 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

I always say blender over a juicer. I use my blender almost every single day…the juicer collects dust most of the time! im happy with the vitamix, but ive also heard Oster blender machine came in at #2 ranking by consumer reports magazine. Its only $50.

104 Meg June 29, 2011

Great!! I will have to look into that one. I have heard good things about the Oyster. Much better price point. Thanks!!

105 Meredith June 29, 2011

Your garden looks great! I can’t wait until I move out of my student apartment/residence, so that I can plant my own!

That GM looks delicious too, definitely making a variation on that tomorrow, minus the kale – I haven’t worked up the courage to try it in a GM yet!

106 Katie June 29, 2011

You’re learning to garden the only way to do it – just dig in. Nothing tastes better than the literal fruits of your own labor! Nothing.

107 Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas June 29, 2011

I want some of your romaine!!!! It’s soo greeeeeen!
It makes me wish I didn’t live on the 9th floor of a big building! –> Garden Jealousy

108 Iris June 29, 2011

I would LOVE to have my own garden! When I was little, I had my own small piece of garden. Now I’m a student and have no garden at all :( Maybe when I’m older :D

109 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes June 29, 2011

I am hooked ( of course )on your green monsters with spinach! BUT I am still working up the nerve to try it with Kale. I know it probs will not even taste different :)

110 Emily June 29, 2011

Congrats on your garden!! My kale plant from LAST summer survived through the winter and is still going strong. :)

111 Jen June 29, 2011

This post is so cute, Angela! I’m growing my first garden ever this year and I get TOTALLY excited when I see everything growing. I went out last night to water & just wander around looking at all the little plants and I saw OMG I HAVE A PEA!!! Yay! So it made me laugh to see you doing the same thing. :o)

112 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

haha I totally screamed when I saw the pea pods! I never thought they would grow I guess.

113 Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen June 29, 2011

Yay for a green thumb (don’t sell yourself short!) I’d loveee fresh kale.

114 Yolie @ Practising Wellness June 29, 2011

congratulations on your beautiful garden and green leaves! :-) xyx

115 Rachel @ The Avid Appetite June 29, 2011

That is one gorgeous green monster! Congrats on your flourishing garden!! :) So exciting to see things grow like that.

116 Moni'sMeals June 29, 2011

I love your garden. I am so wanting to move to a place where I have plenty of room and a garden. At least I have your pictures! All that kale…YUMMMM!

Now that is a great Green Monster~ Oh lord!

117 Hannah (Balancing on Two Feet) June 29, 2011

The garden is looking fabulous! Everything is growing out of control here in Ohio too because of the wet weather. Now that we finally have sun we can start to enjoy it!

118 Erica Vore June 29, 2011

I discovered Kale chips earlier this summer. Everyone in my family (including my two year old) devours them! You garden is inspirational!

119 Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 29, 2011

I am so very impressed by your veggie garden!!!

120 Molly @ RDexposed June 29, 2011

I started my day with a GS, too. Unfortunately, I used the last of my spinach on it. My garden spinach needs to grow faster!

121 Eating Smart (Tracy) June 29, 2011

Where do you buy Vanilla Almondilla Shake & Go Protein Powder? I have never seen it before and would love to try it. Love your blog, it is beautiful.

122 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

Superstore and bulk barn :)

123 Tichina June 29, 2011

My grocery store finally carries kale!!!! I have had it for 48 hours and have probably searched different 48 recipes wondering how best to eat it haha. I think I’m safe with this one yayy!! :)

124 Annie@stronghealthyfit June 29, 2011

Your garden is gorgeous!

125 zoe (and the beatles) June 29, 2011

gah! i wish i could grow a garden! it’s such a big dream of mine. but i don’t live in a house with a big enough backyard. the perils of a new college graduate…;)

126 Jackie @ That Deep Breath June 29, 2011

Your garden is beautiful! I love having home grown veggies around the house…they taste better knowing so much work went into them!

127 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner June 29, 2011

Congrats on your recipe page! :)

I LOVE YOUR RECIPES ANGELA!!!!! Your blog is one of if not THE BEST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

128 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

haha thanks ;)

129 Jen June 29, 2011

YAY for the garden! That romaine looks heavenly. My MIL keeps giving me fresh green onions from her garden and they are SO GOOD….I may never be able to eat store bought green onions again. Enjoy!

130 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life June 29, 2011

I’m so jealous of your beautiful garden! I live in a third story apartment, so no chance of gardening for me. My potted basil plant will have to do for now. I actually prefer spinach in my GM’s – maybe I’ll try kale again this weekend. If not, I know kale chips will always be my BFF. :)

131 Brooke June 29, 2011

Awesome garden! Baby steps, right?

Brooke Annessa

132 KR June 29, 2011

Don’t forget to keep up with weeding! You don’t want those gorgeous plants to get crowded out!

133 Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers June 29, 2011

I planted my first garden this year as well, and so far I’ve gotten a few strawberries. potatoes, lots of basil and spinach, and some lettuce. I researched everything, but I too felt like I had no idea what I was doing. I’ve been battling a gopher eating some of my plants, but other than that it’s gone pretty well, and I’ve definitely learned how I would change things if I do another garden.

134 Ellie@fitforthesoul June 29, 2011

oohh wowwww this is so exciting! look at you ms. gardener~~! Haha, this post really excited me and motivates me to think about gardening in the future :D

135 'Dee June 29, 2011

Can’t resist:
“In conclusion, I have no idea what the heck I’m doing and somehow it’s working out.”
……….in other words … story of my life :-)

LOVE the garden-fresh GM!

136 ashley @ cooking for john June 29, 2011

eeep! your garden is doing great, even if you don’t know what you’re doing. ;)

i just bought some kale at the farmer’s market today (next best thing!) and can’t wait to have a delicious green monster tomorrow!

137 bitt of raw June 30, 2011

nothing like really fresh LIVE food from the garden! i think baby kale is way less bitter too. I get used it this spring and now it’s hard to go back to the larger leaves.

138 Johanna June 30, 2011

Wow Angela! Your garden looks amazing!!! I started today also with a green smoothie – I wish we would have kale here in Israel – unfortunatelly the weather is too hot for it… I just growing a lots of cherry tomatoes, lettuce, sunflowers and a lot of spices and herbs on my rooftop garden. Have a great day!

139 Sam June 30, 2011

I love your garden! I love my garden tooo :) It’s so fun and rewarding to grow your own food! I live in an apartment so I am proud of my mini garden in pots! Next time I might just try kale!

140 Danielle June 30, 2011

I wish I had a garden like that! Not that easy living on a houseboat in the centre of Amsterdam;) That’s some delicious looking green monster!

141 eva @5fruitsNveggies June 30, 2011

2nd blog i’ve read today about protein powder—now i just need to read it in a 3rd blog to go try some vegan or raw protein powder-lol…actually i have it on my WFs list now….i also go in and out with protein powder…lately not likely the one with soy since i think my intake of soy products is already high enough…

142 michelle June 30, 2011

You’ve convinced grow kale next year. I find you really need a good blender (like Vitamix) for kale shakes otherwise there’s a little chewing going on :)

143 Laura @ prettylittlewords June 30, 2011

Ohhh that romaine looks SO tasty! :)

144 Maddie June 30, 2011

Baby kale is soooooo much cuter and less intimidating than full-grown kale.

145 elise July 2, 2011

man i am so jealous of your garden! sorry about the allergic reaction, hope it doesnt happen again! so bizarre. which vega is your all time favorite?

146 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2011

taste wise probably choc o lot :)

147 Tove August 31, 2012

Hi Angela!
Thanks for a wonderful blog!
I want to ask you if you got any tips on how to make a kale smoothie really smooth? I’m having such problems and thinks it tastes pretty awful with bits in it. It may be so that my blender is not that good, so I do also wanna ask you what kind of blender do you use?
Thanks again! / Tove

148 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2012

Ive had probs with that in the past and it was due to my blender. Once I got a vitamix the problem went away. They are expensive but I think I could have easily gone through several blenders by now and racked up the same amount of moula (I had already gone through 2-3 before I finally got the vitamix). Maybe you could try using a bit less kale or even steaming it first to help break it down? I also find Dinosaur kale to be much smoother than curly kale.

149 Alexis August 17, 2013

I’m going out today to get the ingredients to try my first G.M! Thanks so much for all the recipes. I’ve only just gone vegan and this site is a lifesaver.