Blame It On The Rain

There’ s no better way to start a summer day…

IMG 8292   Blame It On The Rain

Man oh man was this morning’s Green Monster good!

Guess where this kale came from?

IMG 8102   Blame It On The Rain

Just my veggie garden, that’s all. No big deal. ;) I’ve clearly advanced from a Black Thumb to a Brown Thumb.

IMG 8294   Blame It On The Rain

• 4 frozen mango chunks
  • Handful blueberries
  • 4-5 strawberries
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 2 ice cubes

IMG 8302   Blame It On The Rain

This was absolutely delicious. And it rekindled my love for Vega Vanilla Almondilla Shake & Go! I go through protein powder phases all the time. For a while I was in love with the Vega Choc-o-lot Shake & Go and then I got sick of it. Now, I ‘m using this one and also Vega Smoothie Infusion (120 kcals and 14 grams protein per serving). This Vanilla Almondilla has 11 grams of protein per serving. You can click the picture below to enlarge.

IMG 8305 thumb   Blame It On The Rain

So back to that crazy kale!

IMG 8100   Blame It On The Rain

Major growth has been going down over the past couple weeks. It’s crazy that I’ve only had my garden planted for just 5 weeks now.

Kale, May 23, 2011:

IMG 6100   Blame It On The Rain

Kale, June 29, 2011:

IMG 8180   Blame It On The Rain

I’ve started harvesting kale this week. I can’t get over how fresh and crisp the leaves are. They also aren’t as bitter as I’m used to.

IMG 8182   Blame It On The Rain

The bell pepper plants seem to be getting ready for a little pepper sprouting action!! So cute.

IMG 8179   Blame It On The Rain

I HAVE PEAS!

IMG 8187   Blame It On The Rain

“When the pea pods are swollen (appear round) they are ready to be picked. Pick a few pods every day or two near harvest time to determine when the peas are at the proper stage for eating. Peas are of the best quality when they are fully expanded but immature, before they become hard and starchy. Peas should be picked immediately before cooking because their quality, especially sweetness (like that of sweet corn), deteriorates rapidly.” [Source]

IMG 8184   Blame It On The Rain

The two cucumber plants continue to grow like weeds…

IMG 8190   Blame It On The Rain

See the little yellow flowers?

The first yellow flowers appearing on the plants are male flowers that provide pollen. These flowers normally drop off after blooming. The small cucumber is evident at the base of the female flower (even before it opens) and should develop into an edible fruit if properly pollinated. Anything that interferes with pollination of the female flowers reduces fruit set and yield, including cold temperatures and rainy weather that hamper bee activity or improper use of insecticides that kill bees. [Source] <—That would explain why there are so many bees around my garden!

The romaine is HUGE. I’m going to make a Caesar Salad tonight!

IMG 8193   Blame It On The Rain

IMG 8198   Blame It On The Rain

Onions! (Apparently I planted these way too close together)

IMG 8200   Blame It On The Rain

An animal dug up one of my tomato plants and it died. :( My other two tomato plants were also disturbed, but they seem to be bouncing back with a little TLC.

In conclusion, I have no idea what the heck I’m doing and somehow it’s working out. :)

~~~

By the way, I have 108 recipes entered and counting!

The Teenage Taste June 29, 2011

That green monster does look really good. I never thought of using kale in green monsters – I always use spinach. I guess I’ll have to give it a try next time!

PS – I’m making your Edamame Pasta for dinner tonight! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

less is more with kale in a GM and I always make sure to make it a bit more sweet than I normally would with spinach to balance out the taste. :)

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove June 29, 2011

I’m so jealous of your garden! I would love to have one. Do you think lettuce would grow in a planter on a window sill? Maybe I’ll go try that…

BTW, The green monster looks delicious! I’ve seen a few versions online but yours has the most fruit I’ve ever seen in it. I like that a lot!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

I always amp up the fruit when using kale…makes it taste great!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 29, 2011

Amazing veggies from your garden! Does the kale taste any different from kale you buy?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

It’s fresher and a bit less bitter :)

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans June 29, 2011

I am so jealous of your garden! I wish that I had the space to grow fresh vegetables. I might tr my hand at some herbs and see how that goes :)

Cait's Plate June 29, 2011

AH so exciting!! It’s my dream one day to eat my own grown produce :) Look how vibrant it made that green monster! :)

Congrats on the successful garden – it’s BEAUTIFUL!

Faith @ lovelyascharged June 29, 2011

It’s a gorgeous garden – I never would’ve believe it wasn’t planted by an expert! I’m looking forward to a time when I have the land space for my own garden!

Mac June 29, 2011

What an awesome garden! Keep up the whatever it is you’re doing…wish I could run to my backyard and pick out some greens like you! Maybe next year :)

jenna June 29, 2011

LOL!!! i’m so happy your for your garden! it looks gorgeous!! wishing i would have planted something now!

suzanne June 29, 2011

I was JUST looking at all the different powders and trying to figure out the best to get. I have looked at the vega many times but opted for the sun warrior (I think vega had stevia maybe and that made me decide on the other). I want to try it though – got a little packet to try. Feels like a commitment when you order as the containers are large and expensive! I also am trying the amazing grass chocolate infusion (again had trouble deciding b/w the protein one and the other – too many options!!!!). Hoping my kids like the chocolate – we just got a vitamix and the amount of veggies and fruit my kids are eating has tripled! Thanks for all you do!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

Ive been wanting to try Sun Warrior but thought there was stevia in it (Im not a fan of the taste). The Vega powders I mentioned above don’t list stevia as an ingredient. :) Yes there are too many options sometimes!

Lisa Fine June 29, 2011

Our kale is doing really well too! I’ve been picking a big handful of leaves almost every day to add to my smoothies, and love how it’s not bitter at all.

The garden is looking great! See, your black thumb is changing. :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 29, 2011

Ha, that’s a great thing about gardening! For the most part if you just plant them and let nature run its course, most of it will turn out! I’m jealous that you’re growing your own kale!!! I haven’t seen any around me!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

I agree- I think nature has its ‘system’ pretty down pat! lol.

suzanne June 29, 2011

BTW – your garden is gorgeous—I am doing one at a friends house and hope to have my own next year. It is a learning curve for sure :-) You are a good learner

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

That’s so cool that you are growing veggies at your friends place! What a great idea.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 29, 2011

WOW Ange! I’m more than impressed! Everything looks amazing and you’re right -that lettuce is huge! How nice to enjoy a green monster made with your own kale! I tried the Vega Tropical Tango Shake-n-Go yesterday and thought it was ok, but the vanilla Whole Food Health Optimizer still reigns superior in my books! Have a great day and enjoy your caesar salad tonight!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over June 29, 2011

I’m so jealous of your veggie garden, I only have a window to work with! :(

That protein powder looks yummy, I love the combination of vanilla and almond. One of my favourite ways to flavour overnight oats and yoghurt is with a couple of drops of both of these extracts.

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 29, 2011

Aw that’s so awesome that you can harvest your own Green Monsters! And I’d LOVE to have romaine growing like that in my backyard :)

Noelle June 29, 2011

Your garden looks precious Angela! Congrats! I can’t wait to have my own place to have my own garden. All I can manage are my own herbs AND that makes me happy!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe June 29, 2011

That is awesome! The romaine looks kind of different than I’m used to…fresher and crisper. Can’t wait to grow my own food some day!

Amanda June 29, 2011

I’m very impressed with your lettuce! I can’t get a decent head of lettuce to grow for the life of me! You can always head back out and get a replacement tomato plant. It might be a little late to bloom but you’ll still have plenty of time harvest if you plant it now.

Baking Serendipity June 29, 2011

Your garden looks fantastic! Mine is not making it through the Phoenix heat. There is nothing better than the pride of your own veggies in food :)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama June 29, 2011

You give me hope that I may be able to have a veggie garden some day! Looking fantastic.

lauren@spicedplate June 29, 2011

such pretty kale! we planted a whole bed dedicated to the lovely green — i’ve even been making cookies with it! veggies from beyond your doorstep taste the best, I think. And what an awesome green monster today! I mentioned your love for green monster smoothies in my last blog post– I love seeing them all and then making them!

katie June 29, 2011

Kale is good in smoothies?! I would think it would make it bitter. The garden progress makes me happy to see!

Hannah Hawley June 29, 2011

The garden looks fantastic! Enjoy it, ours is a bit behind due to the rain and lack of sun.
The onions look perfect. What you do now is thin them! You pull a few and use them now for cooking, and when they is a row left with space in between you let them grow! You can eat new onions, or baby onions for a little bit!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

ohhh I think I remember reading something like that! Thanks!

Hannah Hawley June 29, 2011

One of the great benefits of planting onions to close together to start :-)

Julie @ Shining From Within June 29, 2011

I have romaine that needs to be picked too! Do you know how to tell if does need to be harvested? I’m currently just judging by the out of controlness lol

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

haha same here!! Eric was like…’aren’t you going to pick any leaves??’ and I was like, ‘YOU mean I can already????’ Im so afraid of killing it, but I think its ready!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 29, 2011

I was wondering the same thing. I’m always concerned that I’ll harvest too many herbs at once and kill my plants.

Cait @ Beyond Bananas June 29, 2011

Your garden is SO plush and greeen. I am jealous. I don’t even have a space for a garden!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious June 29, 2011

I can’t believe how fast your garden is growing! We have some grape tomatoes starting and a couple of jalapenos. I see some homemade salsa in the very near future!

denise June 29, 2011

Wow! Your garden looks great! Doesn’t it make you feel proud to know that YOU made that happen :) Enjoy the caesar salad!

Emily June 29, 2011

Ahhh I miss having a vegetable garden – there’s so many highs and so many lows! Yours is looking utterly beautiful so far though Angela :D xx

Nikki T June 29, 2011

I hope my black thumb can pull off a little garden like that next year!

Jen June 29, 2011

You have just made me SO jealous with your garden! I want a garden so badly. That green monster is definitely a victory smoothie! :)

Chantal June 29, 2011

Wow! You’re garden is doing amazing, congrats :) (Though I have envy for your peas). I’ not sure how cucumbers take to grow but our plants are kind of just… there. I’m not sure it’s even really grown since I put it in the ground and yet it’s not dead either. We’ll see!

On a random note (and yes, sorry if this is kind of a shameless plug), if you want more of those Vega packs, I’m currently hosting a giveaway for a bunch of their different kinds til the end of the week :)

Leia June 29, 2011

Your veggie garden looks amazing! If you have a brown thumb I don’t even KNOW what mine is… I even managed to kill a cactus once :\ haha. I’d love to be able to grow and pick and eat my own veggies!

Katie June 29, 2011

Mmm, I am not normally a kale fan- it’s always so bitter to me!- but you have me wanting to try it out in my garden. I have a black thumb, too, but you’re giving me the confidence to get a little crazy :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

Ive discovered that kale is seriously FOOL PROOF! Well, when you start from a baby plant that is, haha. I think I heard seeds are easy too. I will try that next year.

Natalie June 29, 2011

Wow, how gorgeous is that romaine?!?!

Stephanie @Lungesandlunch June 29, 2011

LOVE the recipage – must be taking a lot of work, but it looks amazing!

And I’m so so impressed with your garden. I think that’s fantastic that you’re eating the fruits of your garden! Go you!

Ashley June 29, 2011

Gorgeous! I’m house sitting for a couple of weeks in beautiful St. George, Utah– at my boyfriend’s sister’s house. They have a wonderful garden out back full of basil, grapes, tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, etc. I’m so amazed by it all! Soon, we’re going to be able to pick a plum, zucchini, crook neck squash and some tomatoes! :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 29, 2011

I’m SO jealous of your garden!!! We travel too much in the summer to grow a proper veggie garden, and I’m always so envious of people who have their own veggies to pick and cook and eat!

giordin June 29, 2011

oh i love your garden! i would absolutely love to have my own garden, but i don’t have a yard =( i have a huge patio, though, so i wonder what kinds of plants i could get to grow in giant pots…

Emily June 29, 2011

Your kale gives me such hope for my little kale plants!! They do grow fast but we planted ours a little later so they are still just baby plants. Looking forward to trying them in GM’s when they grow!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 29, 2011

Oh my gosh, I didn’t think it was possible to drool over lettuce, but your romaine looks so fresh and crisp. I wish I had a garden!

Page 1 of 3123»