Almond Butter Rice Crisp Treats

IMG 7922   Almond Butter Rice Crisp Treats

Growing up, I used to be a professional Rice Crispy Treat baker. I’d dump butter in a pot, add a bag of marshmallows, rice crisp, and vanilla.

Spread into a pan.

Stuff in face.

Totally gourmet.

Sticky, sweet, crunchy…and easy enough for a child to make. I still remember sticking the gooey cereal covered spoon straight into my mouth to ‘taste test’, leaving marshmallow whiskers all over my cheeks. I made them so many times, I memorized the complex and highly detailed gourmet recipe off the side of the cereal box. Like I said, total pro.

Each December, I showcased my skills by making Christmas-themed Rice Crispy Treats, complete with red and green rice crispies and a dusting of red and green sprinkles on top. They were the hit of every class party, the talk of the town, and they matched my Christmas sweater and scrunchie so well.

IMG 7910   Almond Butter Rice Crisp Treats

These Almond Butter Rice Crisp Treats are an equally gourmet version (read: no bake) of my loved childhood treats. However, unlike the original, this recipe is made without marshmallows, but I promise you won’t miss them!

To make these treats, I used my No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies recipe for inspiration- one of the most popular recipes on the blog.

IMG 0046   Almond Butter Rice Crisp Treats

I put on my apron, rolled up my sleeves, and got to work. After 15 exhausting minutes, I had treats whipped up for a special someone.

IMG 7899   Almond Butter Rice Crisp Treats

IMG 7901   Almond Butter Rice Crisp Treats

Oh man did this recipe bring back the memories!

You can either drizzle on the chocolate as shown below, or spread it out evenly covering the entire surface, depending on how much chocolate you want. I used 1/4 cup chocolate chips and it was the perfect amount to drizzle. Use 1/2 cup chips if you want to cover the entire surface.

IMG 7904   Almond Butter Rice Crisp Treats

I had to use so much restraint not to eat all of them! Eric also raved about them and was quite jealous when he found out that they weren’t for him. :)

IMG 7913   Almond Butter Rice Crisp Treats

Did you do any baking or cooking as a child? What was your favourite thing to make?

Recipe News:

I’m setting up a new recipe organizational system powered by Recipage! I think you’re going to love it as much as I already do. I‘m excited to have a better system for quickly locating, searching, emailing, sharing, and printing recipes all in one spot. You can check out the new page here to see the 40 recipes I’ve entered so far. I still have about 6 gazillion recipes to enter, so bear with me as I try to enter all of them in. ;) I should be finished by 2015. Maybe sooner if I figure out how to copy and paste.

[joking, joking!]

Zestful Lou June 25, 2011

I really want to make these today! I’m trying to find the motivation to go back to the store (i’ve been 3 times already today!) Apparently I need to make a shopping list.

Audrey June 26, 2011

These look so delicious, Angela!!!

I have mixed feelings about Recipage. I’ve seen it on other blogs and at first I thought it was really cool, but on further use I hate the fact that when you search for something you can’t just right click and open results in a new tab. The way it is now you have to search, click on one recipe to see it, then go back, research, click on another recipe, etc. This can make it really time-consuming and annoying if you just want to quickly scan the recipes. Maybe Emily and the Recipage developers could add a right click/open in new tab option? Okay, sorry for the ramble-y post. I just thought I’d mention it. :)

Sharon (from Bit of the Good Stuff) July 5, 2011

These look absolutely stunning and I can’t wait to try them out! I’m having trouble finding brown rice syrup in my local area (I don’t think it’s something we commonly bake with in the UK) but I’ll keep looking! Otherwise I wonder if agave syrup will work?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 5, 2011

It should work with other sweetener, but it wont hold together as well and you will have to keep them in the fridge. Goodluck! :)

Rebecca July 8, 2011

THESE WERE A HUGE WINNER! Oh I have a new go to treat… and so easily adaptable! You could sub in peanut butter for the almond no problem.. this was my first rice syrup recipe and I am more than please! Thanks to you and to everyone else… give them a try!

Veronica July 24, 2011

I used maple syrup. Seemed to hold together fine for me.

Caitlin September 11, 2012

I could only find rice puffs cereal- do you think that would provide the same crunch?

Rachel October 24, 2012

Yum! These sound dee-lish!
Do you think they would work with molasses instead of brown rice syrup? I’m trying to up the iron in my little guy’s diet and molasses is a power house. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2012

Im not too sure, the flavour would change but they should hold together. Goodluck!

Danielle November 12, 2012

These are delicious!! They’re a perfect healthy alternative to the special K butterscotch bars at my university’s dining hall :) I made a half batch since I’m only cooking for myself and I subbed 1/8 cup agave and 1/8 cup honey instead of brown rice syrup and they hold together fine. I also didn’t bother with the almond butter or salt in the drizzle either, just used straight up melted dark chocolate.

Cindy Quinnelly January 17, 2013

I just made the almond butter rice crisps treats! Very good, I had to use agave nectar instead of the brown rice syrup, but they held together well enough. I also cut the amount of salt, and topped with chopped roasted almonds. This is a quick and tasty snack!

Andrea January 31, 2013

Angela, do you think these would work using coconut butter instead of almond butter?

lillian July 14, 2013

I made these yesterday and they are so delicious! Thanks for the recipe

Rhea October 26, 2013

Could I use Kamut puffs? Opposed to rice crisp?

Jess December 11, 2013

Thanks for posting this recipe, I was looking for something that would replicate my favorite (expensive) bars from a natural foods store. Excited to make these!

Jess January 7, 2014

I made this yesterday without the chocolate drizzle. They’re really, really good. They reminded me of this- a bar that a resort I go to makes.
canyonranch.com/your-health/food-nutrition/cooking-recipes/breads-snacks/canyon-ranch-hiking-bar
Thanks for the recipe!

Kristen January 19, 2014

I made these for the second time today. I must say, the first batch – while good – seemed to heavy on the vanilla. 1 Tbsp didn’t work for me. So the second batch I scaled it to 1 tsp and liked the flavor much better.

Also for those wondering, for the first batch I used maple syrup (I was making them for a vegan friend, couldn’t find brown rice syrup so substituted the maple syrup) and the second batch I used honey (because I am neither a vegan or a vegetarian). Both were excellent binders, no issues whatsoever there.

Anyway, I think *my* ideal batch will use maple syrup and 1 tsp vanilla (I really liked the flavor of maple syrup and almond butter – it was particularly yummy). :)

Amy January 21, 2014

OH MY GOSHHHH I just made these. And they were better than I thought they were going to be. I have been making so many recipes from your website lately and they are all AMAZING! Thank you! :)

Christina April 20, 2014

These are so delicious. I made them as little bite-sized balls and covered them in chocolate and brought them to a party. Everyone loved it and the hostess asked for the recipe!

Page 3 of 3«123