Blueberry Vanilla Bean Pancakes with Blueberry Glaze

Our weekday mornings usually go a little something like this.

We awake to alarm clock #1.

IMG 7892   Blueberry Vanilla Bean Pancakes with Blueberry Glaze

It’s Sketchie and he’s impatient. He’s been awake prowling the house since who knows when.

I look at the clock and it’s 5:43am.

Meeeeeeeoooooowwwwwwww! Meowwwww. Feed meeeee-ow. Wake up. Meow. Meow. Meow. Meowwwwwww.

IMG 7896   Blueberry Vanilla Bean Pancakes with Blueberry Glaze

‘Sketchie!!!’

Meow….

Somehow I manage to get a half hour of “quality sleep” until the alarm goes off. I’m happy Sketchie didn’t win.

When the alarm goes off, suddenly, Sketchie is back. This time, he’s kneading my belly like a hunk of pizza dough. It tickles and I laugh like the Pillsbury Doughboy. Sometimes he gets a little carried away and his nails go through the comforter and prick my skin.

I feel loved.

When I come out of the bathroom, I drag Eric out of bed. This always takes a few attempts!

Sketchie and I walk downstairs. He purrs so soft this time and brushes against my leg the whole way down, pretending like his intrusive wake-up call never happened.

I forgive him.

After feeding Sketchie, I challenge myself to make the strongest cup of green tea in the world.

IMG 8701 thumb   Blueberry Vanilla Bean Pancakes with Blueberry Glaze

I usually win.

I pour a large, unknown quantity of tea leaves into my Bodum loose leaf tea pot and then add a few more for good measure. As it steeps, I head outside to water the garden, anxiously waiting my tea.

IMG 7723 2   Blueberry Vanilla Bean Pancakes with Blueberry Glaze IMG 7726 2   Blueberry Vanilla Bean Pancakes with Blueberry Glaze

By the time I come back in, Eric is enjoying a huge bowl of spelt flakes, raisins, and chia seeds. He eats it in record time and then he spends about 6 hours brushing the chia seeds out of his teeth.

I pour my tea into a travel mug and we fly out the door to drive to the train station. We’re usually always running late and we arrive 60 seconds before it departs. A quick kiss and we part ways.

On this weekday morning, however, things went a bit differently!

IMG 7839   Blueberry Vanilla Bean Pancakes with Blueberry Glaze

I found out that Eric was working from home today, so I told Eric I would make our favourite breakfast…pancakes!

IMG 7838   Blueberry Vanilla Bean Pancakes with Blueberry Glaze

I made my usual crazy pancake stacks, this time adding a fun blueberry-vanilla bean twist. (You can check out all my pancake stack recipes here). And did they ever turn out incredible!

IMG 7843   Blueberry Vanilla Bean Pancakes with Blueberry Glaze

IMG 7842   Blueberry Vanilla Bean Pancakes with Blueberry Glaze

I had a bunch of blueberries to use up so I threw a cup of them in the batter and then used the rest to make this delicious blueberry glaze.

IMG 7857   Blueberry Vanilla Bean Pancakes with Blueberry Glaze

To make the glaze, I processed 3/4 cup blueberries with 1 banana. We both really loved it as an alternative to maple syrup!

IMG 7847 2   Blueberry Vanilla Bean Pancakes with Blueberry Glaze

I love this pancake recipe because it’s made with 100% whole wheat flour and the pancakes are very fluffy and thick. The blueberries were just oozing out of them!

IMG 7855   Blueberry Vanilla Bean Pancakes with Blueberry Glaze

Sketchie is also a happy cat today.

One of Sketchie’s favourite things in the world is when Eric works from home. He loves to jump up on Eric’s lap to sleep for the afternoon or use his laptop as a butt warmer when he leaves his station. ;)

IMG 7865   Blueberry Vanilla Bean Pancakes with Blueberry Glaze

In other news, I have a guest post over at Eat Live Run today as well as an interview with Evolving Wellness…check ‘em out!

Have yourself a great Thursday!

kate June 23, 2011

I was seriously just thinking of what kind of pancakes I can make for breakfast these look great with a few gluten free adaptations I cant wait to try them :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2011

Next time I might try and make them with teff flour or buckwheat…hope it works!

eva @5fruitsNveggies June 24, 2011

i am just exploring the wonders of teff flour…used them in gingerbread waffles yesterday instead of one of the cups of flour, and works brilliantly…the nutritional profile of teff is amazing and i can make things for my daughter’s best friend who is gluten intolerant

Chris June 20, 2012

I LOVE teff!! they make the heartiest and fluffiest pancakes!!! Ps My partner and I are addicted to your website!!! :D

AdrienneCarolyn June 23, 2011

I LOOVVEE your kitty so much! My cat does ALL of the same morning things! So cute (and annoying) :-)

Those pancakes are going to be in my belly after my long run Saturday morning…mark my words…

Peggy @ freshnutrition June 23, 2011

I was going to make pancakes for dinner for my son today, am I ever happy that you made some for breakfast, he is going to love these later on. Thanks!!

Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission June 23, 2011

LOL your cat is so cute!!! I love those pictures. And those pancakes need to happen in my kitchen likerightnow. My dog is my alarm clock too, although she’s much less subtle. She’ll jump right on my face and start pawing my head.

Lisa Fine June 23, 2011

Sketchie is adorable! What bit eyes he has. So cute.

I never seem to make pancakes because they always seem like they’ll take too long, but when they’re made, they’re so delicious. Thanks for the recipe with this fun twist!

Natalie S. June 23, 2011

That glaze looks incredible! If I weren’t already at work I’d be whipping myself up some blueberry vanilla bean pancakes ;) Guess I’ll just have to wait for the weekend.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 23, 2011

The glaze is beautiful on those fluffy pancakes! What a great idea! That would make a tasty afternoon snack on a piece of toast as well.

Sketchie is adorable. :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} June 23, 2011

Wow that blueberry glaze looks perfect! I want some right now. :-)

Hayley @ Oat Couture June 23, 2011

Ahhhh these look AMAZING!! I keep seeing fabulous pancakes posts everywhere and i’ve realised I need to step my plain little pancakes up a notch! :) And sketchie is too cute! Our kitty does exactly the same thing every morning! :/

Cait's Plate June 23, 2011

Bahahaha! I love Sketchie – such a character :)

LOVE LOVE LOVED your post on Jenna’s site today. I wish I could aptly recreate all your recipes but I don’t think they’d come out nearly as good as yours!

I’ve been seeing a lot of pancakes around the blog world this week and I really think I need to make some this weekend – love how fluffy and soft yours look!

Happy Thursday :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2011

Thanks Cait! :) I’m sure you would do a wonderful job with the recipes :)

Cait's Plate June 23, 2011

Haha I hope so! Want to do those yummy recipes justice ;)

Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry June 23, 2011

Those look ridiculously AMAZING. My mouth literally dropped open when I saw the first pancake picture. I HAVE to try these. I’m drooling…
Sketchie is pretty darn cute too ;)

Radha June 23, 2011

Pancakes is our Sunday morning ritual. DH has a special pancake plate. It is nice to have unrushed time together in the morning. Loving your blog Angela.

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots June 23, 2011

I can see why that would be your favorite breakfast! Looks incredible!!!!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing June 23, 2011

What a wife! ;) This looks delicious — I’ll have to try and recreate it with GF tweaks. Thanks!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans June 23, 2011

Sketchie is so cute! And those pancakes look absolutely amazing!

Dan Brown June 23, 2011

Where’d you get that teapot/infuser by the way? It looks great. thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2011

Thanks! Its from here: http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/prodlist/272/
Dont know if they have the exact same model anymore but they will have similar ones.

danielle June 27, 2011

It is the Bodum Crema Tea press-no longer available on the US Bodum site but available on Amazon-I just bought!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 23, 2011

Oh that last shot of Sketchie’s booty on Eric’s computer…classic. Nothing like a keyboard warmer for a cat. lol

The pancakes…with the bananas layered in….AMAZING! And I am loving the yellow plates/ yellow accent colors with the blue in the pancakes…super eye-catching! I need more blog linens when I see pics like this…I have one major color family of dishes and linens: pink. <—real versatile, huh :)

Newyorkerbyheart June 23, 2011

What a beautiful cat you have!! The pancakes looks amazing and I love you site :-)

Sincerely,
Birthe from Denmark

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2011

thanks!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 23, 2011

I never thought to make a blueberry banana glaze like that, yum!

Jen June 23, 2011

Your husband definitely got lucky marrying you! I haven’t had pancakes in a while. I have a GF mix that I’ve been meaning to try, but I usually prefer to make pancakes from scratch. I think you should create a GF pancake recipe that looks as good as these do! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2011

yes thats on my list for sure! :) Maybe this week ;)

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats June 23, 2011

Love the Sketchie photos! My kittens area also my alarm clock but they are not as nice as Sketchie! They’ve learned to just keep walking up and down my body, stepping on my throat until I wake up coughing!

Those pancakes look amazing! I’m not really a pancake person so I’ve never tried one of your pancake stack recipes…but this one is tempting. I’m surprised though, no nut butter?! :O

denise June 23, 2011

Your cat is hilarious (and gorgeous)! The pancakes look so delicious!

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa June 23, 2011

Our cat usually wakes me up the same way, and brushes against my legs while I try to make the strongest pot of coffee (some mornings this brushing against my legs totally freaks me out – weird).

I used to love the occasional breakfast with my husband as they didn’t happen too often. Now with his new job, we have breakfast at the same time each morning. Usually something totally different, but it’s nice. Not as special though…

Andrea @ Onion in My Hair June 23, 2011

I LOVE all your pics of Sketchie.

Keep ‘em coming!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) June 23, 2011

when i make pancakes i love to mash a cold banana on top instead of syrup, or use applesauce and cinnamon. this glaze sounds so good! mmm pancakes. just finished my oats and now i’m hungry again. that usually happens when i read your blog though… hehe

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2011

I love mashed banana on top of pancakes…This is basically the same effect only with blueberries added in. :)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes June 23, 2011

That glaze is soo clever :) although I love my tapped maple syrup, I can tell this is an AMAZING swap! Great guest post too btw!

jenna June 23, 2011

i loved your interview! your mornings sound so cozy! :) i love daily rituals!

LizAshlee June 23, 2011

If I were Eric, I would work from home EVERYDAY! Those pancakes look so YUMMY!

Sketchie is quite a character…you must feel so loved!:)

Have a fabulous day! Headed over to check out your guest post:)

brandi June 23, 2011

These look so delicious and fluffy!

Shanna, Like Banana June 23, 2011

My cats do this too…they meow right in my ear and paw my face. I do my best to ignore…

The Teenage Taste June 23, 2011

Wow. These pancakes sound like the perfect way to brighten up a normally ho-hum weekday morning. Blueberries taste so good this time of year! :-)

Emily June 23, 2011

Your pancake recipes always look so incredible!

Gloria June 23, 2011

Now I kow what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow morning :) You didn’t use a frozen banana for the glaze, right? Though that would be tasty as well!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2011

Nope but that would be nice too!

Heather (heathers dish) June 23, 2011

Holy yum girl! That glaze sounds AH-mazing, as does the rest of the meal ;)

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh June 23, 2011

I LOVE this!! So moist and fluffly looking!
And sketchie has the BIGGEST eyes :) I would just melt!

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me June 23, 2011

Aww Sketchie is so adorable! And those pancakes look divine! I am going to have to try those babies out!

Dana June 23, 2011

Skechie is soooooo cute. He is the cutest alarm clock.

JenATX June 23, 2011

love love love blueberry pancakes! one of these days you must try a lemon glaze, it works so well with the blueberry mmmmmmm :)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath June 23, 2011

those pancakes look great! what a great idea for the glaze. I love that last picture of Sketchie on the keyboard…so funny! my dog uses the top of our couch like a personal throne. he looks like a cat sitting up there!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 23, 2011

Oooh yummmm, I wish my morning had started this way too!! Sounds delicious Ange! I had to laugh about that 6-hour teeth brushing comment because it’s so true! Going to check out your Evolving Wellness interview now!

Page 1 of 41234»