Weekend Glow Kale Salad

IMG 7645   Weekend Glow Kale Salad

Confession: I used to hate eating raw kale.

In fact, raw kale was the bane of my existence!

The only way I could bring myself to eat raw kale was if I put it in a Green Monster, and even then it was always quite bitter. Or I would bake kale chips and cook them so long that you couldn’t even tell it was kale.

But then I learned a couple secrets to preparing raw kale and I never looked back. And it’s a good thing because I have 20 kale plants growing in the garden right now!

My 3 tips for preparing raw kale:

1. Remove the stems when you plan on eating it raw (and some people remove the stems for cooking too-it’s personal preference). The stems are the bitter part of the plant. I used to always use the stems and wonder why my kale salads tasted ridiculously bitter. Now I just use the leaves and it always turns out wonderful to the palate.

2. Massage the dressing into the leaves and let it ‘marinate’ for at least 10-15 minutes. A kale salad tastes best when the dressing has had a chance to soak into the leaves. This also helps soften the leaves which is especially important if you are using the curly variety. You don’t want it scratching your throat!

3. If you really don’t like curly kale, try Dinosaur (Lacinato) kale as it is less bitter.

When I started using these simple tricks, my kale salads went from bitter and hard to swallow to mind-blowing delicious!

IMG 7639   Weekend Glow Kale Salad

Kale is said to be a ‘beauty’ vegetable because it improves skin tone, complexion, and gives you a great glow.

It’s also just as beautiful for your insides too!

Kale is rich in:

• Vitamin K
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin C
  • Manganese
  • Fibre
  • Copper
  • Tryptophan
  • Calcium
  • B6
  • Potassium
  • Folate
  • and more!

My goal for last night’s salad was to create a ‘weekend glow’ kale salad. I always love to feel my best on the weekend, but sometimes too much alcohol and desserts don’t always leave me feeling great come Sunday evening. This kale salad brings a nice balance to the weekend and gives an extra kick to your step!

IMG 7625   Weekend Glow Kale Salad

To make this salad, I gathered some superfoods:

• Cucumber (great for skin!)
  • Grape tomatoes
  • Red onion
  • Raisins & goji berries (antioxidants)
  • Walnuts (Rich in omega 3 fatty acids)
  • Hemp Seeds (high in protein)
  • Carrot (great for eyes and skin)
  • Avocado
  • Red Pepper

IMG 7627   Weekend Glow Kale Salad

Next, I made the dressing using my favourite tahini-lemon dressing from my Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl. This dressing is addicting! It has such a nice kick to it.

IMG 5024 2   Weekend Glow Kale Salad

Then, I used about half of a large head of kale, tore the leaves off, rinsed, and dried it in my salad spinner.

IMG 5971   Weekend Glow Kale Salad

Finally, I mixed everything together in a large bowl and let the dressing ‘marinate’ for about 15 minutes in the fridge. It tastes great as soon as you mix it, but it will taste even better after sitting!! Just before serving, I sprinkled on the rest of the hemp seeds and walnuts. The seeds and nuts are really key to this salad because they add protein and healthy fats, along with a great crunchy texture.

IMG 7629   Weekend Glow Kale Salad

I was a bit shocked because this was the best salad I think I’ve ever made, kale or otherwise. Even more shockingly, Eric inhaled this salad! When you can get a man to enjoy a kale salad, you know that you have hit the jackpot.

IMG 7633   Weekend Glow Kale Salad

IMG 7650   Weekend Glow Kale Salad

I picked up some Goji Berries at Bulk Barn for some extra superfood power. Goji berries are very high in Vitamin C and antioxidants. I forgot how much I LOVE Goji berries! They are like an earthier and less sweet raisin. At first I wasn’t a big fan of them, but once I got used to the taste I fell in love with them.

Eric said if you covered them in sugar they would taste just like sour patch kids!

IMG 7647   Weekend Glow Kale Salad

I encourage you to try out this salad if you are a kale skeptic. It completely changed how I think about eating raw kale.

IMG 7602   Weekend Glow Kale Salad

Here’s to a glowing weekend. wlEmoticon sun1   Weekend Glow Kale Salad

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming June 17, 2011

This looks fabulous! I’ve never had raw kale before but the combination of ingredients looks incredible in this post! I can’t wait to try it. I’ve been meaning to add new salads to my eating :)

have a wonderful weekend!

Jacquelynn June 17, 2011

Oh wow, that salad looks amazing! Do you have any suggestions for tahini substitutes? I recently moved to the Virgin Islands, and I have not been able to find tahini :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

hmm im not sure…what about sunflower seed butter? I really dont know how it would taste though! Maybe other readers have ideas :)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats June 17, 2011

Jacquelyn, if you have a food processor or strong blender, I would recommend pureeing cashews and toasted sesame seeds into the dressing – different flavor than tahini, but cashews are of the easiest things to find in most countries, and have a similar texture and neutral flavor (you can always up the lemon to make up for that), and I think sesame seeds should be possible to find. Sunflower seeds would work too, but tend to vary in flavor more.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

great tips!

Cynthia September 14, 2012

I use raspberry vinaigrette and think it’s super on this, though I tend to like sweet things. haha

Cynthia October 13, 2012

Update: Even though I liked the raspberry vinaigrette, it was still kind of missing something, because the sweet flavor is overwhelming and buries that good, solid veggie taste. My new recommendation for those who aren’t wild for tahini is the dressing from another one of my faves: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/21/red-quinoa-and-black-bean-vegetable-salad/ This salad with that dressing has a permanent place in my fridge next to the almond milk! lol LOVE IT! =)

Cynthia October 13, 2012

(or those who can’t find Tahini, if the other substitutes aren’t working for you.) Seriously, no one should have to live without this amazing salad.

Heather Lea September 28, 2013

Cynthia, thanks for posting the alternative dressing. I have been making it for about a year now and it is so so good. And thank you to oh she glows for getting me into kale. I make this salad twice a week. Big hit in our house!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2013

so happy that other dressing works! Thanks ladies :)

kelli June 17, 2011

YUM! thanks for sharing!

Emily June 17, 2011

This recipe combines just about all my favorite ingredients! It sounds (and looks) amazing!

Anne G. June 17, 2011

I am convinced! I will try this soon FOR SURE! Looks delicious!!

veganlisa June 17, 2011

I’m already a kale convert but the list of ingredients in this dish sound delicious. I would be brave enough to bring this fabulous salad to a potluck full of non-kale addicts. I hope you and Eric get sometime to relax this weekend on the deck with a big bowl of kale!

xo

Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 17, 2011

It looks great!!! I actually love raw kale-stems and all. I tried it for the first time about a month ago and was amazed at how much I liked it.

Lindsay June 17, 2011

What a beautiful Salad!

Ashley June 17, 2011

I’ve never had kale, but I’ve been wanting to try out new salad ideas! This one looks so beautiful– I think it would be hard for anyone not to enjoy it!

Abby White@Eat, Drink and Be Aware June 17, 2011

Yum! I love this recipe and it sounds so good. Thank you for sharing.

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats June 17, 2011

This looks amazing. I love raw kale salads, but agree on removing the stem and massaging the leaves. My husband, however, can eat raw kale straight up – so odd. I need to make this salad as I think both he and I would love it :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

wow he’s a trooper!

Shannon June 17, 2011

I just found your blog this weekend! Your recipes look amazing! I made your 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta last night and blogged about it. It was so good!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

glad you like it!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 17, 2011

I used to hate raw kale too, but you’re right, massaging is KEY!!! Sounds like a delicious recipe as usual! :) I hope you have a wonderful weekend too, Ange!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious June 17, 2011

This salad looks amazing! I love kale chips, but I’ve never found a recipe for raw kale that has appealed to me. This is a perfect salad for summer because I tend to go without make up alot more often and I want my skin to be glowing and blemish free! I also just bought a bag of those goji berries at the Bulk Barn and I haven’t been able to decide what to do with them; I guess I know now!!

Ally June 17, 2011

This recipe looks GREAT!!! Thank you for sharing your secrets!

Carolyn June 17, 2011

I have a hard time with kale raw, but I love kale in soups! This one from Gina at Skinny Taste is to die for…spicy and delicious. It’s my go-to for when I’m feeling under the weather…or when my CSA box is overflowing with Kale! :)

Turkey Sausage, Kale and White Bean Soup

I’m sure there’s a way that you could make that vegan…the only things you’d have to change is the turkey sausage and chicken stock. Maybe just eliminate the sausage and add more beans w/veggie stock?

Have a great weekend!

JenATX June 17, 2011

I must confess that I actually enjoy massaging my kale. haha i think it makes me feel like i’m giving it the “spa treatment”

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

hehe :) This would be a great spa salad too!

katie June 17, 2011

you have really taken all salads to a whole new level, and this one is no exception. I have such an obsession with tahini, as soon as I buy more nutritional yeast I’m making this dressing, I can’t wait!

Erin June 21, 2011

The dressing is delicious without the nutritional yeast!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 21, 2011

good to know, thanks!

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) June 17, 2011

I definitely am a skeptic of kale!

Estela @ Weekly Bite June 17, 2011

What a beautiful salad!! Perfect for the summer :)

Jess June 17, 2011

That salad looks amazing! I cannot get enough of tahini dressing lately. I always mix it with white miso and warm water but almost never think to add lemon. I think I may need to re-stock my kale supply this weekend and give it a try : )

Donna June 17, 2011

This salad almost looks too good to eat!
I’m a recent Kale lover, can’t get enough of the stuff now and i always remove the stems!
Can’t wait to try this recipe out angela :)

Aimee June 17, 2011

This looks incredible. I am so into kale right now. I can’t seem to get enough. Plus the massage leaves my hands so smooth and soft! As always thanks for your gorgeous recipes. This one is on the menu for tonight.

Julie @ Shining From Within June 17, 2011

I love love love raw kale.. Best way to eat it in my opinion!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 17, 2011

I love kale – it does have to be marinated a bit raw though. I like using a simple lemon-olive oil-sea salt combo for a quick-fix!

mary (what's cookin with mary) June 17, 2011

“Confession: I used to hate eating raw kale.” – I still have yet to try kale raw, except in my veggie juices. I’m scared Ange… hold me ? ;P haha Only kidding! …but this if you say this salad tastes good, I’m going to need to try it.

PS I am LOVING those yellow and purple flowers! Were they from your yard ??

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

They were wild flowers found on a walk :) Lots around here!

PS You can do it (re: kale!)

mary (what's cookin with mary) June 17, 2011

SO PRETTY. We def don’t get wild flowers like that around these parts ;)

Aggie June 17, 2011

GREAT salad!! I started enjoying kale salad when I found one with mango and pistachios and it was “massaged”. The massaging is definitely key, softens it up! What great stuff you have in here…and I agree, this would be great to try to reverse the damage of the weekend :)

Lisa June 17, 2011

Your salad is almost too pretty to eat. I love when you make colorful recipes!

Holly @ The Runny Egg June 17, 2011

This salad sounds so delicious — and I just love those bamboo (?) bowls you are serving it in. How adorable!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

thank you!…I got them at the antique market. The larger salad bamboo is a wedding gift though

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 17, 2011

The massage and sit method is key! I love how it almost “wilts” the kale a little and definitely takes the bitterness out. This salad looks great!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

me too and its great the next day!! not that I was eating it at 10am or anything… ;)

Ricki June 17, 2011

I can’t imagine anyone not loving raw kale salad–it’s practically my favorite food!! Your tips are terrific, too. . . massaging makes all the difference (with kale AND my shoulders). ;) I also find that chopping the kale into small, bite-sized pieces helps to soften and marinate it faster, and makes it much easier to chew. :D

Hayley @ Oat Couture June 17, 2011

I tried cheesy kale chips the other week and I was really disappointed… I think they were a little too cheesy… Would love to try kale again though, especially in the form of your salad! :) Have a fab weekend!

Meredith June 17, 2011

This looks amazing! I’ve never actually had raw kale, but I really want to try this!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans June 17, 2011

This looks really good. I have never tried kale although I have heard that its very nutritious. Thanks for sharing the recipe, your tips and some of the benefits!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 17, 2011

Good thing you’ll have so much kale growing this summer!! You can now make boatloads of this salad!
Sounds awesome!! Kale is one of my very favorite foods so I’m all over this recipe!! :)

Rhona June 17, 2011

Like you, I used to hate kale. Wanted it nowhere near me but now I eat it all the time! I love it in smoothies as while drinking, I imagine all the magic the vitamins are doing for my innards. lol. This salad looks absolutely amazing. Ok, you are giving me too many wonderful ideas for my next book club meeting! Thanks. Strange but this salad looks comforting.

Andrea June 17, 2011

Not to be side tracked off your delicious recipe, but we have our grand opening of the Bulk Barn here in Vernon BC today. Never heard of it before till now. Hope it is as good as it looks.
Andrea

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

oh that’s fun! Bulk Barn has TONS of natural foods and even organic stuff too…im so impressed!

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race June 17, 2011

That salad looks AMAZING!! :P Definitely printing this recipe off! Yum! Have a great weekend!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama June 17, 2011

I never knew kale was considered a “beauty vegetable”. You totally convinced me to eat more kale. :-) I do love kale salads but haven’t had one in a while. I need to try this one!

Amanda June 17, 2011

I just started reading your blog a few days ago. I just wanted to tell you that you are an awesome person. You truly are. So inspiring! I can’t wait to read more!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

Aww you are sweet! Thank you :)

Page 1 of 41234»