Weekend Glow Kale Salad

IMG_7645

Confession: I used to hate eating raw kale.

In fact, raw kale was the bane of my existence!

The only way I could bring myself to eat raw kale was if I put it in a Green Monster, and even then it was always quite bitter. Or I would bake kale chips and cook them so long that you couldn’t even tell it was kale.

But then I learned a couple secrets to preparing raw kale and I never looked back. And it’s a good thing because I have 20 kale plants growing in the garden right now!

My 3 tips for preparing raw kale:

1. Remove the stems when you plan on eating it raw (and some people remove the stems for cooking too-it’s personal preference). The stems are the bitter part of the plant. I used to always use the stems and wonder why my kale salads tasted ridiculously bitter. Now I just use the leaves and it always turns out wonderful to the palate.

2. Massage the dressing into the leaves and let it ‘marinate’ for at least 10-15 minutes. A kale salad tastes best when the dressing has had a chance to soak into the leaves. This also helps soften the leaves which is especially important if you are using the curly variety. You don’t want it scratching your throat!

3. If you really don’t like curly kale, try Dinosaur (Lacinato) kale as it is less bitter.

When I started using these simple tricks, my kale salads went from bitter and hard to swallow to mind-blowing delicious!

IMG_7639

Kale is said to be a ‘beauty’ vegetable because it improves skin tone, complexion, and gives you a great glow.

It’s also just as beautiful for your insides too!

Kale is rich in:

• Vitamin K
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin C
  • Manganese
  • Fibre
  • Copper
  • Tryptophan
  • Calcium
  • B6
  • Potassium
  • Folate
  • and more!

My goal for last night’s salad was to create a ‘weekend glow’ kale salad. I always love to feel my best on the weekend, but sometimes too much alcohol and desserts don’t always leave me feeling great come Sunday evening. This kale salad brings a nice balance to the weekend and gives an extra kick to your step!

IMG_7625

To make this salad, I gathered some superfoods:

• Cucumber (great for skin!)
  • Grape tomatoes
  • Red onion
  • Raisins & goji berries (antioxidants)
  • Walnuts (Rich in omega 3 fatty acids)
  • Hemp Seeds (high in protein)
  • Carrot (great for eyes and skin)
  • Avocado
  • Red Pepper

IMG_7627

Next, I made the dressing using my favourite tahini-lemon dressing from my Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl. This dressing is addicting! It has such a nice kick to it.

IMG_5024-2

Then, I used about half of a large head of kale, tore the leaves off, rinsed, and dried it in my salad spinner.

IMG_5971

Finally, I mixed everything together in a large bowl and let the dressing ‘marinate’ for about 15 minutes in the fridge. It tastes great as soon as you mix it, but it will taste even better after sitting!! Just before serving, I sprinkled on the rest of the hemp seeds and walnuts. The seeds and nuts are really key to this salad because they add protein and healthy fats, along with a great crunchy texture.

IMG_7629

I was a bit shocked because this was the best salad I think I’ve ever made, kale or otherwise. Even more shockingly, Eric inhaled this salad! When you can get a man to enjoy a kale salad, you know that you have hit the jackpot.

IMG_7633

IMG_7650

I picked up some Goji Berries at Bulk Barn for some extra superfood power. Goji berries are very high in Vitamin C and antioxidants. I forgot how much I LOVE Goji berries! They are like an earthier and less sweet raisin. At first I wasn’t a big fan of them, but once I got used to the taste I fell in love with them.

Eric said if you covered them in sugar they would taste just like sour patch kids!

IMG_7647

I encourage you to try out this salad if you are a kale skeptic. It completely changed how I think about eating raw kale.

IMG_7602

Here’s to a glowing weekend. Sun

1 Grace @ Healthy Dreaming June 17, 2011

This looks fabulous! I’ve never had raw kale before but the combination of ingredients looks incredible in this post! I can’t wait to try it. I’ve been meaning to add new salads to my eating :)

have a wonderful weekend!

2 Jacquelynn June 17, 2011

Oh wow, that salad looks amazing! Do you have any suggestions for tahini substitutes? I recently moved to the Virgin Islands, and I have not been able to find tahini :(

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

hmm im not sure…what about sunflower seed butter? I really dont know how it would taste though! Maybe other readers have ideas :)

4 Valerie @ City|Life|Eats June 17, 2011

Jacquelyn, if you have a food processor or strong blender, I would recommend pureeing cashews and toasted sesame seeds into the dressing – different flavor than tahini, but cashews are of the easiest things to find in most countries, and have a similar texture and neutral flavor (you can always up the lemon to make up for that), and I think sesame seeds should be possible to find. Sunflower seeds would work too, but tend to vary in flavor more.

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

great tips!

6 Cynthia September 14, 2012

I use raspberry vinaigrette and think it’s super on this, though I tend to like sweet things. haha

7 Cynthia October 13, 2012

Update: Even though I liked the raspberry vinaigrette, it was still kind of missing something, because the sweet flavor is overwhelming and buries that good, solid veggie taste. My new recommendation for those who aren’t wild for tahini is the dressing from another one of my faves: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/21/red-quinoa-and-black-bean-vegetable-salad/ This salad with that dressing has a permanent place in my fridge next to the almond milk! lol LOVE IT! =)

8 Cynthia October 13, 2012

(or those who can’t find Tahini, if the other substitutes aren’t working for you.) Seriously, no one should have to live without this amazing salad.

9 Heather Lea September 28, 2013

Cynthia, thanks for posting the alternative dressing. I have been making it for about a year now and it is so so good. And thank you to oh she glows for getting me into kale. I make this salad twice a week. Big hit in our house!

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2013

so happy that other dressing works! Thanks ladies :)

11 kelli June 17, 2011

YUM! thanks for sharing!

12 Emily June 17, 2011

This recipe combines just about all my favorite ingredients! It sounds (and looks) amazing!

13 Anne G. June 17, 2011

I am convinced! I will try this soon FOR SURE! Looks delicious!!

14 veganlisa June 17, 2011

I’m already a kale convert but the list of ingredients in this dish sound delicious. I would be brave enough to bring this fabulous salad to a potluck full of non-kale addicts. I hope you and Eric get sometime to relax this weekend on the deck with a big bowl of kale!

xo

15 Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 17, 2011

It looks great!!! I actually love raw kale-stems and all. I tried it for the first time about a month ago and was amazed at how much I liked it.

16 Lindsay June 17, 2011

What a beautiful Salad!

17 Ashley June 17, 2011

I’ve never had kale, but I’ve been wanting to try out new salad ideas! This one looks so beautiful– I think it would be hard for anyone not to enjoy it!

18 Abby White@Eat, Drink and Be Aware June 17, 2011

Yum! I love this recipe and it sounds so good. Thank you for sharing.

19 Valerie @ City|Life|Eats June 17, 2011

This looks amazing. I love raw kale salads, but agree on removing the stem and massaging the leaves. My husband, however, can eat raw kale straight up – so odd. I need to make this salad as I think both he and I would love it :)

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

wow he’s a trooper!

21 Shannon June 17, 2011

I just found your blog this weekend! Your recipes look amazing! I made your 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta last night and blogged about it. It was so good!

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

glad you like it!

23 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 17, 2011

I used to hate raw kale too, but you’re right, massaging is KEY!!! Sounds like a delicious recipe as usual! :) I hope you have a wonderful weekend too, Ange!

24 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious June 17, 2011

This salad looks amazing! I love kale chips, but I’ve never found a recipe for raw kale that has appealed to me. This is a perfect salad for summer because I tend to go without make up alot more often and I want my skin to be glowing and blemish free! I also just bought a bag of those goji berries at the Bulk Barn and I haven’t been able to decide what to do with them; I guess I know now!!

25 Ally June 17, 2011

This recipe looks GREAT!!! Thank you for sharing your secrets!

26 Carolyn June 17, 2011

I have a hard time with kale raw, but I love kale in soups! This one from Gina at Skinny Taste is to die for…spicy and delicious. It’s my go-to for when I’m feeling under the weather…or when my CSA box is overflowing with Kale! :)

Turkey Sausage, Kale and White Bean Soup

I’m sure there’s a way that you could make that vegan…the only things you’d have to change is the turkey sausage and chicken stock. Maybe just eliminate the sausage and add more beans w/veggie stock?

Have a great weekend!

27 JenATX June 17, 2011

I must confess that I actually enjoy massaging my kale. haha i think it makes me feel like i’m giving it the “spa treatment”

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

hehe :) This would be a great spa salad too!

29 katie June 17, 2011

you have really taken all salads to a whole new level, and this one is no exception. I have such an obsession with tahini, as soon as I buy more nutritional yeast I’m making this dressing, I can’t wait!

30 Erin June 21, 2011

The dressing is delicious without the nutritional yeast!

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 21, 2011

good to know, thanks!

32 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) June 17, 2011

I definitely am a skeptic of kale!

33 Estela @ Weekly Bite June 17, 2011

What a beautiful salad!! Perfect for the summer :)

34 Jess June 17, 2011

That salad looks amazing! I cannot get enough of tahini dressing lately. I always mix it with white miso and warm water but almost never think to add lemon. I think I may need to re-stock my kale supply this weekend and give it a try : )

35 Donna June 17, 2011

This salad almost looks too good to eat!
I’m a recent Kale lover, can’t get enough of the stuff now and i always remove the stems!
Can’t wait to try this recipe out angela :)

36 Aimee June 17, 2011

This looks incredible. I am so into kale right now. I can’t seem to get enough. Plus the massage leaves my hands so smooth and soft! As always thanks for your gorgeous recipes. This one is on the menu for tonight.

37 Julie @ Shining From Within June 17, 2011

I love love love raw kale.. Best way to eat it in my opinion!

38 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 17, 2011

I love kale – it does have to be marinated a bit raw though. I like using a simple lemon-olive oil-sea salt combo for a quick-fix!

39 mary (what's cookin with mary) June 17, 2011

“Confession: I used to hate eating raw kale.” – I still have yet to try kale raw, except in my veggie juices. I’m scared Ange… hold me ? ;P haha Only kidding! …but this if you say this salad tastes good, I’m going to need to try it.

PS I am LOVING those yellow and purple flowers! Were they from your yard ??

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

They were wild flowers found on a walk :) Lots around here!

PS You can do it (re: kale!)

41 mary (what's cookin with mary) June 17, 2011

SO PRETTY. We def don’t get wild flowers like that around these parts ;)

42 Aggie June 17, 2011

GREAT salad!! I started enjoying kale salad when I found one with mango and pistachios and it was “massaged”. The massaging is definitely key, softens it up! What great stuff you have in here…and I agree, this would be great to try to reverse the damage of the weekend :)

43 Lisa June 17, 2011

Your salad is almost too pretty to eat. I love when you make colorful recipes!

44 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 17, 2011

This salad sounds so delicious — and I just love those bamboo (?) bowls you are serving it in. How adorable!

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

thank you!…I got them at the antique market. The larger salad bamboo is a wedding gift though

46 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 17, 2011

The massage and sit method is key! I love how it almost “wilts” the kale a little and definitely takes the bitterness out. This salad looks great!

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

me too and its great the next day!! not that I was eating it at 10am or anything… ;)

48 Ricki June 17, 2011

I can’t imagine anyone not loving raw kale salad–it’s practically my favorite food!! Your tips are terrific, too. . . massaging makes all the difference (with kale AND my shoulders). ;) I also find that chopping the kale into small, bite-sized pieces helps to soften and marinate it faster, and makes it much easier to chew. :D

49 Hayley @ Oat Couture June 17, 2011

I tried cheesy kale chips the other week and I was really disappointed… I think they were a little too cheesy… Would love to try kale again though, especially in the form of your salad! :) Have a fab weekend!

50 Meredith June 17, 2011

This looks amazing! I’ve never actually had raw kale, but I really want to try this!

51 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans June 17, 2011

This looks really good. I have never tried kale although I have heard that its very nutritious. Thanks for sharing the recipe, your tips and some of the benefits!

52 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 17, 2011

Good thing you’ll have so much kale growing this summer!! You can now make boatloads of this salad!
Sounds awesome!! Kale is one of my very favorite foods so I’m all over this recipe!! :)

53 Rhona June 17, 2011

Like you, I used to hate kale. Wanted it nowhere near me but now I eat it all the time! I love it in smoothies as while drinking, I imagine all the magic the vitamins are doing for my innards. lol. This salad looks absolutely amazing. Ok, you are giving me too many wonderful ideas for my next book club meeting! Thanks. Strange but this salad looks comforting.

54 Andrea June 17, 2011

Not to be side tracked off your delicious recipe, but we have our grand opening of the Bulk Barn here in Vernon BC today. Never heard of it before till now. Hope it is as good as it looks.
Andrea

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

oh that’s fun! Bulk Barn has TONS of natural foods and even organic stuff too…im so impressed!

56 Shannon ~ My Place In The Race June 17, 2011

That salad looks AMAZING!! :P Definitely printing this recipe off! Yum! Have a great weekend!

57 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama June 17, 2011

I never knew kale was considered a “beauty vegetable”. You totally convinced me to eat more kale. :-) I do love kale salads but haven’t had one in a while. I need to try this one!

58 Amanda June 17, 2011

I just started reading your blog a few days ago. I just wanted to tell you that you are an awesome person. You truly are. So inspiring! I can’t wait to read more!

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

Aww you are sweet! Thank you :)

60 janet June 17, 2011

Glad to hear you finally came around to kale salads! I like how lively your salad is. Can’t wait to try it. :)

You can also massage avocado into the kale for a creamy dressing, like I do here: http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/creamy-raw-kale-salad-with-avocado-apple-and-beet/

I prefer a lemony dressing, and this has been my favourite kale salad so far:

61 kaila @ healthy helper! June 17, 2011

I LOVE raw kale! But I totally agree about taking the stems off! Makes such a huge difference!

62 Hannah June 17, 2011

I think I’ll have to try this. I’ve always thought raw kale salads sounded a bit strange and unappetising, but this recipe sounds delicious and the photographs are beautiful. I’ve been eating the same salads with different dressings for years, so it’s time to try something new, really.

63 Vanessa @ Loving the Sweet LIfe June 17, 2011

I’ve never made a raw kale salad, only had them in restaurants and deli’s counters in health food markets. The ingredients here sound like a fantastic combo. Thanks for the tips! I’m curious to know if your kale does well in the summer, Someone told me it thrives in cool weather so I’m holding off planting until end of August…

64 Teniesha @ Vegan on the Go-Go June 17, 2011

I just commented on my blog today how much I miss KALE! It is nonexistent here in France. Well, in only 18 days, I’ll be back in the States and eating my bodyweight in that wonderful leafy green again. :D

65 Meredith June 17, 2011

One more thing: I’m doing a cleanse at my local Moksha yoga studio right now, and most of my fellow cleansers are new to vegan food. I introduced them to your site, and they all love it! I definitely think you have a few new dedicated readers :).

66 Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner June 17, 2011

Hey Angela!
Glad to be back in the blogging world and read your posts again.
I have to admit, I am definitely a kale skeptic.. but I would for sure give this salad a try!
Thanks for sharing :)

67 Lauren June 17, 2011

Yeah for Bulk Barn!!! I spend so much time in there ahha :) I’ve never tried raw Kale ( I thought it would taste bad) But I am trying this recipe. I have to get me some more goji’s too…. :)

68 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes June 17, 2011

Great recipe!

69 Emily June 17, 2011

Just wanted to tell you how happy I was to have stumbled upon your site!! I just joined a CSA for the first-time and was looking for good recipes to use the spelt berries and I found this blog. This week, I have already made the Spelt Berry Porridge and the Back on Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad (I subbed CSA garlic scapes for the minced garlic in the dressing.) Both meals were fantastic — thanks so much!

Oh and I know I have an idea of what to do with the baby kale in my fridge too! :)

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

Thanks Emily! Glad to hear that. I need to make the spelt berry porridge again soon…I forgot how much I enjoyed it for breakfast! Maybe on a rainy summer morning. :)

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

hanks Emily!

72 shamima June 17, 2011

I am going to have to make this, it looks great!! Another way I have found to love kale is just by rubbing olive oil and lemon juice into it. Then throughout the week I just add whatever dressing and vegetables I want. My favorite combo right now is dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds and avocado.

73 Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) June 17, 2011

This looks truly like a wonderfull salad!
I have to admit that I never ate kale. But we’re planning to grow some in our garden, the coming season. And this is a perfect way to try!

74 Laura June 17, 2011

This salad is glowing! Can’t wait to try it. :)

75 Giulia June 17, 2011

That salad looks so good!
i also love your wooden bowls and forks! Are they just for decoration or do you use them?

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

Thanks! They are used :)

77 Giulia June 17, 2011

I never tried eating with a wooden fork! for future reference, were did you get them (and the bowls)?? Thank You!

78 Sportsgirl June 18, 2011

Check this site out: http://www.to-goware.com/

I purchased a bamboo utensil set for my lunches! I love it.

79 Amber K June 17, 2011

I have always wanted to like kale, but I couldn’t cover its taste in a smoothie no matter how much stuff I added. Then I tried to make kale chips and despite everyone else saying how wonderful they were, they were just awful! And I had gotten rid of the stems. Maybe I have to try dinosaur kale? Because otherwise I don’t know if I could handle it again!

80 Jenny June 17, 2011

Just when I thought I wouldn’t be able to keep up with all the kale growing in the garden you post yet another fabulous recipe – thanks!

81 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen June 17, 2011

YUM this looks phenomenal. So light and fresh but packed with goodies!

82 Jessica @ Dishin' About Nutrition June 17, 2011

You always have the best recipes, I swear!!

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

Thank you Jessica!

84 Moni'sMeals June 17, 2011

the title, the dressing, the fact that I LOVE KALE, the cute bowl you serve it in… you got me! I love this. I eat Kale almost everyday. :)
I look forward to this addition. It never gets old for me with a new recipe….from you!

Happy Weekend. :)

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

hehe thanks!

86 Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion) June 17, 2011

I love kale and kale salads!!! I love to eat kale because I feel like I am totally doing my body good. Kale, does a body good… instead of milk. That sounds a whole lot better!

87 Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas June 17, 2011

I loveeee kale! But I’ve been totally slacking in the kale consumption department!!! This recipe motivates me to bring it back into my life stat! Added to today’s grocery list: KALE :-)

88 Kelsey June 17, 2011

I love kale, and this recipe looks absolutely divine! Can’t wait to try!

89 Rachael June 17, 2011

Will this salad hold well throught the weekend? Will it get soggy at all?

90 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

It keeps for 1-2 days :) Curly kale is quite resistant to getting soggy I find.

91 Justeen @ Blissful Baking June 17, 2011

The kale salad looks so colorful! I actually love raw kale, bitterness and all! This salad would be perfect for lunches!

92 Emily June 17, 2011

Speaking of bulk barn…. They now have DARK CHOCOLATE COVERED CACAO NIBS!! YUMMM

93 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2011

wow really? they are really upping their game!

94 Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! June 17, 2011

This is basically my ideal salad – the perfect summer dish, thanks for this!

95 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 17, 2011

The last shot of the flower, the lighting, just so pretty.

And all the salad pics, nice. The wooden bowls showcase it so pretty.

You know I am a total dork when I look at your photos not just for your recipe (which is great) but also b/c I just love gazing at your beautiful images!

And raw kale…I find that anything with enough sauce or dressing is always a good way to break people in with raw kale, raw veggies, etc…Dressing has to be really flavorful and really hearty to stand up, even sometimes mask a bit, the “taste” of raw, i.e. bitter, that some people dont like in some raw veggies. For me, I like that. But not everyone does. That’s where dressings are my BFF :)

96 mi-an June 17, 2011

Kale is one of my ultimate top 3 !!! (along with avocados and sweet potatos, in no particular order) so I make a lot of kale salads. and yes, if you massage the kale, it’s amazing!! i love using avocados to massage it. but if i don’t have it, i’ll use lemon juice and/or olive oil. i use Bragg’s liquid aminos to season it and it’s just aammazing. it’s even better the next day! so yep i’m with you on the kale sitch!

97 Krysten June 17, 2011

hello! thank you sooooo much for blogging your daily food and just everything. i’ve been reading your blog for about 3 years now. and lovin it. it has helped me so much. i found you on a search for a recipe for a green smoothie oh so long ago, something that was very foreign to me then= not at all now! i even love to eat kale raw now too, before it had to be sauteed or steamed. but now it’s great. eating healthy, making yourself healthier is all that matters! so thankful to get such a happy vibe from your site, and always can go there to read your stuff and get back on track. thank you!!!!!
check out my website if you’d like too! i paint earthy trees, abstract and colorful paintings.

98 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 17, 2011

Thanks Krysten! :)
I checked out your art and it’s fabulous! Your blog wouldnt let me comment for some reason but I love the tree paintings especially. Gorgeous!

99 Molly @ RDexposed June 17, 2011

I’d make the for my boyfriend…. I’d massage the kale leaves, and he’d massage my back!

100 Gina (Yogattude) June 17, 2011

YUM! I had a kale salad today with avocado, walnuts and fresh raspberries! I may have to try adding hemp seeds to bump up the protein! I’ve been making an extra salad all week for my boyfriend and I’m pretty sure I’ve converted him into a kale salad lover!

101 Crystal @ College Cooking Girl June 17, 2011

Goji berries are also called wolfberries. I buy mine in Asian specialty markets. They are sooo cheap that way! I can get a big bag for $2.

102 Felicia (Natural + Balanced) June 17, 2011

never would have thought of putting gojis in kale salad! this looks amazing, i love raw kale salads and usually just make the same type of dressing (tahini, nooch and hummus) but the extra added in really make it look even better. i’ll definitely be making this !

103 Pure2raw twins June 17, 2011

love kale tahini salads! this looks perfect

104 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 17, 2011

Maybe I’m weird, but I love the taste of raw kale – even the stems! But I do like the taste of it marinated even better. I’ve been making salads like this a lot lately. I’ve never tried your tahini dressing though – it looks delicious!

105 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 17, 2011

I loooooooooooooove raw kale!!!! It’s the best!

106 Nina (SLO Foodie) June 17, 2011

Just stocked up on kale at our Farmer’s Market! Just the thought of this salad makes me glow. :) Will be trying it soon!

107 LizAshlee June 17, 2011

The kale salad sounds delicious…always looking for another way to prepare kale! I love goji berries too! They make for great salad toppers, perfect mix-in for bars, and just alone!

Have a wonderful weekend!!

108 Maddie June 17, 2011

Angela, I just found your blog last week, and there are sooo many recipes I can’t wait to make! This salad was absolutely delicious! And the “marinating” technique totally works! :)

109 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2011

So glad you enjoyed it!

110 Sportsgirl June 17, 2011

Just a piece of useless infomation: kale is better for the eyes than carrot is!

111 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2011

cool!

112 Abby June 17, 2011

What a beautiful salad! :)

113 lauri (redheadrecipes.com) June 17, 2011

You make kale sound and look so delicious! I’ve ony tried it sauteed and baked into chips, but this salad sounds great!
And to think, I use to flick that funny looking leaf off the side of my plate!!

114 Kristie June 17, 2011

This looks insanely good! I’ve been loving some massaged kale salads lately but mine have NOTHING on this one. I desperately need to pick up some tahini so I can make this asap!

115 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2011

enjoy hun!

116 Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers June 18, 2011

Beautiful pictures! I’ve never tried kale, but this makes me want to! :)

117 Nicki Woo June 18, 2011

Oh so good! I like Kale, but I never knew I could take it up a notch. Loving this salad. I’ll be glowing in Texas.

118 Cat @Breakfast to Bed June 18, 2011

Wow. Looks great. I think I am going to try it more chopped with cold quinoa!! YUM.

119 Ashley June 18, 2011

This salad looks great! Thanks for sharing. I do have a question: How do you wash your kale? I buy organic kale and I always see little inch worms and tiny bugs on them. I inspect each leaf and rinse in super cold water, but sometimes that doesn’t help. Any tips?

120 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 18, 2011

Hah! I’ll have to try covering goji berries in sugar. The other day, my boyfriend ate an entire movie theater bag of sour patch kids. I’d like to see him do that with goji berries.

So do you like kale chips or kale salad better??

121 Anne June 18, 2011

I’m bringing this to a bbq tonight to serve to:
-vegans
-food sensitivity peeps (gluten, dairy)
-meat-loving guys

122 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 18, 2011

I don’t think I’ve ever had raw kale but your recipe looks great! Especially the tahini dressing. I can’t wait to try this!

123 O.C. June 18, 2011

Wow this salad looks awesome! I’m always looking for ways to sneak more nutrient rich foods like kale into my diet and it’s even better if they’re yummy like this :)

124 cami June 18, 2011

Thanks for the recipe Angela! Now I really look forward to lunch tomorrow. :)

125 Zestful Lou June 18, 2011

I sure could use some of this right now! My glow is lack-luster. :(

126 Rhonda June 18, 2011

Angela,

I just made this GLORIOUS salad and it is so FRESH and DELICIOUS!! Just WOW! And marinating the kale? How smart are you!

Thank you!! My new fave salad!

Rhonda

127 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

Glad you like it so much!

128 Leslie June 18, 2011

I just made for dinner and it was absolutely delicious!!! My whole family really enjoyed it. I have about a serving leftover and think I might toss some chickpeas into it and have it for lunch tomorrow. Mmmm, can’t wait. I love kale but usually eat it cooked. I have noticed some batches of kale seem more bitter than others. I did use curly kale and got a really mild bunch so it tasted great raw.

Also love your lemon tahini dressing but did change it up a little bit. The last time I made the dressing I also added a splash of balsamic vinegar to my salad because there wasn’t enough dressing left and loved the combo. So instead of the water the recipe calls for I sub in balsamic vinegar for a “Lemon, Balsamic, Tahini” dressing. It brings the dressing to a whole new level of deliciousness. If you like balsamic vinegar you should definitely try it sometime :) Thanks for an awesome Kale recipe! ~Leslie

129 Kierstan June 18, 2011

WOW – after a day of eating cookies and ice cream, I NEED this salad in my life ASAP. (In my defense, I did run a marathon this morning…).

130 Hannah June 19, 2011

This sounds so wonderful but I’m super envious at the same time! It’s really, really hard to find kale in Australia (I’ve found it once at the farmer’s market, at $6 for a tiny bunch), and hemp seeds are illegal here! I can still dream of this though :)

131 Christie June 19, 2011

Thank you for this recipe! This dish was a hit at my family’s Fathers’ Day celebration today, even among the raw-kale-is-evil skeptics. I’m so happy to now have a way to share kale with those who tend to be intimidated by those luscious, curly leaves!

An aside: I have read your blog for some time now, and I wholeheartedly enjoy your entries. As a woman in recovery from an eating disorder that lasted many years, it is refreshing to read about your journey toward health and self-love.

132 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 20, 2011

Thank you! :)

133 jocelyn June 19, 2011

this is amazing!! we loved it and hubs devoured it too, i followed your tips and finally could enjoy kale raw. this is definatly our favorite salad

134 Beverly June 20, 2011

Thank you for this lovely recipe (the photos are gorgeous). I just bought kale and will make a salad this week.

135 Gina June 20, 2011

So I have already made this salad twice. Once for dinner on Friday for my husband and I and once yesterday for a family get together. My non veg family members raved about it! I love when I make a vegan recipe and even the most serious omnivores enjoy it! Thanks! I’m having leftovers for lunch today!

136 Caitlin June 20, 2011

i LOVE kale salads! this one looks so good, and it’s definitely a glowing recommendation when you say it’s the best salad you’ve ever made! i’ve never dressed kale with anything besides lemon juice, olive oil, avocado, and himilayan pink salt. i love tahini based salad dressings, though. i will definitely be trying this!

137 SentimentsbyDenise June 20, 2011

My daughter made this recipe (she reads your blog, too) yesterday afternoon and brought me some last night. I’m eating it for my lunch as I type this. It’s so good! Love all the flavors and the CRUNCH!

138 amanda June 20, 2011

i printed this recipe on friday KNOWING i would make it soon! i had it for lunch today and i am SO happy! what a great idea and now i plan to eat kale with all salads! thanks for the tips!

139 Grace@ Food-Fitness-FreshAir June 20, 2011

I just recently started liking raw kale for the first time too (other than in smoothies)! It wasn’t until I made something with it myself, determined to make myself like it, until I caught on. The key really is to massage the dressing well. I featured a blood orange kale salad a month or so ago, and the sweetness of the oranges really helped too.

140 Charissa June 20, 2011

Looks ammmaaaazing…I love the idea of quinoa with salad…funny, I hadn`t thought of it before. Doing this next time I have salad…

141 Ann Claire June 20, 2011

Yum! Looks like such a fresh, healthy, and delicious recipe. I’m bookmarking it :)

142 Diane June 23, 2011

Was at our farmers market this afternoon, saw the fresh organic kale… .wondered what to do with it (other than juicing), and then thought of your recent blog. I was the same about raw kale, couldn’t handle it, until tonight! Followed your suggestions, modified the ingredients a bit, as well as the dressing… and… husband said he would not be having any… until he took a taste, and LOVED it! We will now be regular kale salad eaters, thanks to you! Love all your entries, they inspire me to put more healthy and happiness in my day. Thanks!

143 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 24, 2011

Wow that’s amazing!!! :) I too was thrilled when Eric scarfed it down. When I told him it was kale he was so worried but he was surprised :)

144 Ashley June 24, 2011

Finally catching up on all your amazing posts, from when we were camping. I would like this RIGHT now please!!

145 Lynne June 26, 2011

Trying to embrace a healthier lifestyle, our first introduction to raw Kale was bitter and something we decided we wouldn’t visit again. We didn’t love it in smoothies either so basically wrote it off as something we wouldn’t incorporate into our diet.
However this post intrigued me and the salad looked delicious; so (taking you at your word that it wouldn’t be bitter) I bought more Kale and made this salad for dinner tonight.
This was very, very good and my sweetheart loved it saying I could feed him Kale any time :-)
Thank you for sharing the salad recipe and tips!!

146 Liz June 28, 2011

I made this recipe on the weekend and my kids (age 6, 11 and 14) loved it! These girls are incredibly picky and suspicious about vegetables in general, and especially about anything green and leafy. But they inhaled this raw kale salad! It was crazy. The dressing is just delicious. :)

147 Debbie July 6, 2011

Angela, I made the salad yesterday and it was delicious! I was vegetable deprived and it hit the spot. I didn’t have the goji berries or raisins, but I subbed dried cranberries and it was still yummy. It was also surprisingly filling which I LOVED! Thanks for another great recipe.

148 Rebecca July 13, 2011

I am happily munching this salad right now, which means I both survived and enjoyed my first foray into raw kale ;-) My modifications were to use your Comfort Food tahini dressing instead (the one with the diced tomatoes) because i LOVE it, and to use craisins and slivered almonds instead of goji berries (don’t have any) and walnuts (don’t much like them). I have to agree with you that the fruit and nuts were essential, the sweet&crunch really made this salad something special.

Also, I discovered that raw kale tastes a lot like raw broccoli, at least to my palate. This excites me because I love cold broccoli salad, the type you get at southern restaurants, and now I want to try adapting them into kale salads. I recently had a broccoli salad with honey mustard dressing and golden raisins and it was AWESOME, I can’t wait to experiment…

149 Taji July 13, 2011

I made the Kale Salad—added red peppers and did not add avocado. It is a great salad and i have heated it up and eaten it as a hot vegetable w/ dinner—good stuff!!

150 Hilary July 16, 2011

I realize this is coming in a while after you wrote this post but I wanted to comment on the kale salad. I’m not trying to be rude but have you tried making your ‘lemon-tahini’ dressing exactly as you have it written? I made it and it was inedible. I realized in retrospect that having a recipe where more than 1/2 of volume is lemon juice is probably why. And the salt is too much as well. I had to throw this salad out. I think you may want to double check your recipe as it is written. It sounds good in theory but it just didn’t deliver for me. sorry.

151 Deb May 15, 2012

I made this salad this morning! It is amazing. I doubled the recipe because I thought just half a head of kale wasn’t enough! I doubled the dressing recipe, so I added 1/ 2cup of nutritional yeast which may have been too much! It tasted a bit yucky by itself, but when mixed in with the rest of the salad it is amazing. I am car free so to get to the co-op or an organic grocery store it is about a 30 minute bike ride so I had to omit the goji berries and hemp seeds. I subbed flax seed and dried blueberries, as that is what I had on hand.
Thank you for this recipe!

152 Chloe May 17, 2012

Made this and it was even better than expected! It was also my first time preparing raw kale, so thanks for helping me skip the bitter experience! My dad kept asking me how caloric it was because he was convinced it was too good to be healthy!

153 Nancy Bond May 20, 2012

Made your kale salad yesterday and it was so amazing! Love your blog can’t wait to try another recipe tonight.

Thank you so much!!!

154 Dominique May 23, 2012

I just made this receipe and it’s delicious. I’ve never eaten a Kale salad before and I was looking for a receipe on Pinterest. I didn’t make the salad dressing only because I was lazy. I used lime juice from a whole lime and 1 tbsp of Olive oil and some garlic salt. Still it was amazing.

155 CJ May 27, 2012

I came across this kale recipe on chatelaine.com and had to stop by to tell you that this has got to be the most delicious salad I’ve ever eaten. My husband ate it up with glee and so did my food-fussy toddler. It’s a delight to find your other recipes on your site. I can’t wait for your book to come out. Thank you.

156 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2012

Im so glad to hear that, thanks for letting me know!

157 Joanne June 5, 2012

You’ve taken my usual ho-hum lunch time salads and revved them up to new heights. I’ve always loved my salads but after this, after making the lightened up tahini dressing, I think I may be IN love with salads!!! I’ve seen tahini all over the place in recipes but never bought it, so I finally caved today because I wanted to make your dressing. I am SO glad that I did, my life is changed, my salads will never be dressed in just boring old balsamic ever again! I’m kicking myself for not jumping on the tahini train sooner.
I added red cabbage to mine, and forgot the walnuts, but it was just divine. I might have another salad for dinner, the detox salad and protein goddess bowl are calling my name. LOVE your blog! I even got a friend of mine hooked, she’s been making a ton of your recipes and loving them. :)

158 Diane June 24, 2012

I tried this salad this weekend and it was AMAZING! I am detoxing after an indulgent weekend and this is the perfect recipe to cure what ails me. THANK YOU for always providing unique and tasty vegan recipes, I can’t save enough how much I appreciate it.
-Diane

159 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 24, 2012

Thank you Diane, that makes me smile!

160 Katie June 30, 2012

This salad is now the best salad I’ve ever made as well! And my man also loved it. Thanks for the recipe!

161 Carmen June 30, 2012

I absolutely love, love KALE…..I found in my local produce the Baby Kale in the plastic dome container and it is wonderful……it’s my new favorite power food!

162 Heather July 1, 2012

I recently starting looking at your blog after a friend suggested it. I found out not to many days after that we are expecting our third child. We have been eating whole foods for the last 7 months(I have lost about 40lbs) and have benefited greatly from it but I was getting really tired of our repetitive menu. Your blog has rejuvenated my healthy eating spirit-I love to cook for my family but I need to sometimes pull motivation from hard places.

With our third and final child on the the way I really want a energetic, healthy pregnancy and to give my baby healthy food while satisfying my taste buds at the same time….I think your blog is going to help out greatly in this area.

This salad was the first I have made from your recipes and I LOVE it. I am very excited to try some other recipes especially the baking…I love to bake and finding healthy alternatives is the so wonderful.

Thank you so much-you are very inspiring!
Heather

163 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2012

Hey Heather,

Sorry for the delayed reply! Thank you so much for your kind words…that means so much to me! I hope you enjoy many recipes to come.

164 Ali Berger July 17, 2012

This looks delicious! I can’t get enough kale these days. I’m so glad I stumbled upon your blog, so many delicious recipes!

165 Jessica July 18, 2012

absolutely the best salad i’ve ever had in my life!

166 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2012

That’s awesome, thanks for letting me know!

167 juliana July 18, 2012

Delicious! Thank you for your article and recipes, I have a new favorite salad now. I didn’t have all the goodies, so made some substitutions and just cleaned my bowl, looking forward to having more for dinner.
Substitutions I made:
parsley = cucumber
radishes = red pepper
coconut flakes = raisins & berries
green onion & cabbage = red onion
I’ll be making this a ton. : )

168 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2012

Great subs! Thanks for letting me know :)

169 EndDaFed August 7, 2012

Angela this salad rocks!!!!! I had made kale salads before but it was kinda bitter & Dino Kale is the way to go for sure. I made a few changes used Parmesan instead of yeast & put a lil cilantro in the dressing as well with a few sprinkles of red chilli. Next time I putting some sliced dates in there as well since the sweet raisins tasted soo good!

Thanks!

170 JoAnne Metzler August 8, 2012

I suggest you throw in a handful of blueberries in the salad. Not only in salads, I’ve been adding them to almost dinner I eat even Chinesse, and pasta. It is delicious and like you with raw kale, I don’t like the taste of I don’t of plain blueberries! Only in almost anything then I can’t enough! Thanks for the ideas for kale, which I never had before and the tip of removing the stems. JoAnne

171 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 9, 2012

great idea!

172 Cynthia September 14, 2012

Angela: Thanks for the best raw kale recipe ever! Is anyone else completely in love with the salad & devastated that it only lasts a day? haha If so, this is how I trick it into lasting longer. I put the raisins (still don’t have the gogi berries yet. ;) ) in with the walnut & hemp seed topping. (I personally don’t mind the raisins not plumping up, so that works fine for me!) I use Florida avocados because they seem supernatural in that they don’t brown & hold a beautiful shape without getting mushy. (planning to research the nutrition, though, in case they’re too good to be true!) I reserve the marinade then prep it 15 minutes before I eat. Presto! The beautiful salad I love keeps lots of days longer, and this makes me happy! =)

173 Paula October 21, 2012

I just make this salad for the first time and I have to say it great. Added a few things like Radishes,Broccoli Cole Slaw mix for Veggie and Creamy Ranch with Bacon dressing. no Raisins or goji berries, Walnuts ,Hemp Seeds . I never believed Kale Greens could be good an less they were cooked. Will be sharing this with every body. Thanks you very much.

174 Jane November 9, 2012

I came across your site a few weeks ago, and I’ve been hooked ever since. This salad…oh my goodness. I never thought I’d be able to stomach raw kale…but my husband and I are obsessed! We have been eating this 3+ times a week (we can’t get enough) and I think it singlehandedly has helped me to get back on track with more healthful choices, by reminding me how great whole foods make me feel. In the past few weeks I’ve cut out most of the junk I’d been in the habit of eating, and I feel SO much happier. As someone who has been really struggling lately to feel good in my body, I can’t thank you enough!

175 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 9, 2012

Hi Jane, I’m so happy to hear that! Thanks for reading.

176 Leigh November 18, 2012

Holy cow this salad is amazing – eating it right now and completely addicted to your website.

177 kirsten December 3, 2012

Great recipe!! Thank you! Next time I’m going to use alittle less lemon in the dressing, though I used 1 1/2 it was still alittle too much. Also used cranberries instead of raisins.

178 Eleonoor December 6, 2012

Angela, I just want to send you my thanks, all the way from the Netherlands!

Though I couldn’t survive on a vegan diet (love me my cheeses and meats!) I really like a lot of the recipes you’ve shared.
“Avocado/lemon pasta sause” and “Get your Glow back stirr fry” are my tried and tested favorites. I also love the “Back on track Green Monster” (No Banana’s yeah!)

Usually in the Netherlands we eat Kale through mashed potatoes and with lots of gravy, bacon-bits, and a sausage. This new, healthy recipe has stolen my heart (and tastebuds…)

I’m now a 25 year old student, learning how to cook what I love. The Dutch kitchen is full of meats and potatoes and butter and bread and sugar and carbs and I am trying things a bit more healthy… your recipes are an inspiration!

Thank you, very much, for my ever improving health (and slimming waistline…)

179 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 10, 2012

Hey Eleonoor, Thanks for your kind words! I appreciate it :)

180 Sara January 10, 2013

This is literally my new favourite salad – I am eating it for lunch as we speak :) I started reading your blog some time ago Angela and have now started delving into your archives for more recipe fun! Spicy tomato and kale soup for dinner tonight I think with the leftover kale :) I know you get this all the time but I am literally feeling the healthiest I ever have thanks to reading your blog. More salads in my diet, lots of lemon water, more running…thanks thanks thanks x

181 Kaitlin May 5, 2013

Hey Angela, I love your website! I was wondering if you knew how long you can let kale marinate before it gets soggy. I’ve never made a kale salad before but I know kale has so many benefits for the body. I wasn’t sure if I could leave the marinated kale overnight for the next day or if I should just let it marinate 10 minutes before eating it! Thanks!

182 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2013

Hi Kaitlin, I’m pretty sure it’s fine overnight if I remember correctly! Maybe there is some info online that you can confirm though. Good luck!

183 elizabeth June 23, 2013

Just wanted to say that I just made this salad, and it is outstanding!!! Looking forward to trying more of your recipes. Please post more substantial and filling salad recipes, if you have them! I might make this again for dinner. :-)

184 Melissa June 28, 2013

This salad was amazing. I’ve made it three times so far and I love it. You were right. This kale salad is great for kale beginners. :) :) I’ve passed on the recipe to my friends.

185 Jennifer Betti July 9, 2013

I can’t wait to try this salad. Loving the blog!

186 Pixie August 4, 2013

Doing some random jumping around in your recipes today and landed on this one. I love, love, love kale – but had to learn to like it. I first put it in smoothies and then soup. Finally, I used it instead of lettuce on a “burger.” Next up – salad! One of the things I learned is that red curly kale is the best for flavor. It even smells like flowers if it’s fresh and not super cold from the fridge. I’ll use the lacinto kale if I have to, but I ignore plain green curly kale due to how bitter it was to me – and that was in a smoothie! lol

Thanks for all your wonderful recipes!

187 Maria November 23, 2013

I have been experimenting cooking with kale quite a bit lately, and I must say I used to dislike it but now I am absolutely loving it! Thank you for your tips. I am enjoying getting to know your wonderful blog!

Maria
musicteachingandparenting.com

188 Bursa İnşaat Projeleri November 14, 2014

189 jaime November 22, 2014

I’m thinking of using this dressing for thanksgiving… do you think the kale salad and lemon tahini dressing would work well with other more fall like ingredients? i was thinking of sunflower seeds and golden raisins? any other veggie ideas?

190 Michele In-Montreal June 28, 2016

oh! thank you for the confession! this feels so good to read! so nice to hear I am in such good company.

I am a closet Kale hater. (feels like a confession of shame *blush*)

I have tried for years, but my inner 5yr old wins out every time.

I buy it with good intentions. I nag myself as soon as I lay a hand on it in the grocery store, and keep it up constantly. Then I let it decompose in my fridge before finally passing it along to the racoon that forages in my compost heap. The guilt! The guilt! I know it is so good for me, but it is just so bitter.

I have bought some this week, and looked up on your site for some courage, and you came through!

thank you for being brave and speaking out loud our collective shame ;)

I will try the leaf vs stem idea tonight… thank you for giving me hope :)

*if this salad doesn’t work I am going to try the smoothy option*

191 Angela Liddon June 29, 2016

My fingers are crossed that the recipe is a hit, Michele! :)