Mom’s Request: Mushroom Barley ‘Risotto’

IMG 7594   Mom’s Request: Mushroom Barley ‘Risotto’

Monday was my mom’s last day here so I treated her to a manicure for Mother’s Day and also made her a special meal by request. In return, she organized the back hall closet and laundry room for me. I think she is trying to shape me into a civilized home owner. ;) It was an offer I couldn’t refuse!

After some careful consideration on my recipes page, she decided on my Mushroom Barley Risotto. [On the weekend, she also chose 15-Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta]- two very good choices!

We picked up a few groceries and also Eric at the train station.

IMG 0670   Mom’s Request: Mushroom Barley ‘Risotto’

Then I got busy in the kitchen…!

IMG 7574   Mom’s Request: Mushroom Barley ‘Risotto’

I must have inherited my mom’s love for mushrooms because I can’t get enough of them lately. I never used to like them growing up (I only liked the canned variety), but now I just love most kinds of fresh mushrooms.

9 2 of 9   Mom’s Request: Mushroom Barley ‘Risotto’

When you have a local mushroom farm nearby, it only makes sense to learn to love ‘em!

9 9 of 9   Mom’s Request: Mushroom Barley ‘Risotto’

Mushrooms are also quite healthy too!

According to Alive Magazine, mushrooms are:

• High in antioxidants: Cremini and Portabella mushrooms have antioxidant levels comparable to that of broccoli, red peppers, and carrots.
  • Immunity Boosters: Mushrooms appear to stimulate the immune system, including T and B cells, macrophages, and natural killer cells.
  • Phytochemical rich: Phytochemicals are thought to have an anticancer effect in some research.
  • Rich in dietary fibre, riboflavin, Vitamin D, and niacin.

9 7 of 17   Mom’s Request: Mushroom Barley ‘Risotto’

[In case you missed it last summer, check out the Portabella mushroom recipe challenge I participated in where I made Easy Stuffed Portabella Pizza in a Cashew Basil Cheese Sauce.]

Next, I made Cheezy Garlic Bread inspired by the garlic bread in Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan. I sliced a multi-grain baguette in half, spread on some Earth Balance, and then sprinkled it with garlic powder, kosher salt, and nutritional yeast. I placed it in the oven on low broil for a couple minutes until crisp. It turned out great!

IMG 7595 2   Mom’s Request: Mushroom Barley ‘Risotto’

I also sautéed some broccoli in a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar until just tender.

IMG 7596   Mom’s Request: Mushroom Barley ‘Risotto’

With Cave Springs white wine from Niagara region.

IMG 7597   Mom’s Request: Mushroom Barley ‘Risotto’

I love that this mock ‘risotto’ recipe is made with pearled barley…it really does amp up the nutrition and satiety factor.

Check out our dining room GLOW!

IMG 7598   Mom’s Request: Mushroom Barley ‘Risotto’

For dessert, we split the last two Chocolate Cupcakes…so sad to see those go. Eric and my mom just rave about those cupcakes! I will be making those for guests again real soon.

Peace out!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 15, 2011

Oh that looks really good – too bad my hsuband HATES mushrooms! I’ll have to make this oon a night he’s gone!

Sarah June 15, 2011

My husband does, too! But this meal looks too good to pass up. Mine’ll be away a couple of nights this month, so I think that’ll be the perfect time to bust this meal out:-).

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 15, 2011

I love that you let your mom pick from a “menu.” How fun!

Earthy mushrooms with a good, buttery white wine is one of my favorite pairings.

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 15, 2011

I love mushrooms but haven’t eaten them in YEARS because my boyfriend hates them. He has a weird thing about them being fungus lol.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 15, 2011

so does Eric!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 15, 2011

I totally forgot about the risotto recipe from last year, but I have been trying to come up with a cheese-less risotto for a while now (not a big cheese fan, as strange as it sounds to cheese lovers!) so thank you!!! I also love mushrooms, and like you said, since they’re so good for you, what’s not to love right? Looks like an absolutely delicious meal!! :)

OSGMOM June 15, 2011

I would have never considered using the pearled barley as a healthier substitute but once again you have taught me a better and more nutritious sub — it was delicious! If anyone is looking for a healthy cupcake recipe that is delicious, they have to make your chocolate cupcakes. I am HOOKED and it’s going to become my go to recipe in the future.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 15, 2011

I will request them next time I come to visit! ;)

OSGMOM June 15, 2011

Putting it on the menu for your next visit :)

Ali @ Pink Spatulas June 15, 2011

That looks so good! I’m making risotto this week and will have to add yours to my list. Yum :)

Bee Goes Bananas June 15, 2011

Mmmm that risotto looks to die for! And nothing wrong with a couple chocolate cupcakes now and again! YUM!

Zestful Lou June 15, 2011

I need to make another attempt at mushroom risotto. The recipe on my blog is a very traditional, full-fat, full-flavored risotto, and while being quite delicious, is very very rich. My boyfriend and I found that we could only eat a very small serving because of it’s richness.

I love the nooch garlic bread idea! I’ve been experimenting with my nooch a lot lately. It’s just got so many nutritional benefits! I love that stuff!!

Holly @ The Runny Egg June 15, 2011

That dish looks so hearty and comforting! And with the addition of garlic bread? I’m sold.

Gena June 15, 2011

I absolutely adore barley risotto! And mushrooms make it so much heartier.

Emily June 15, 2011

What a beautiful (and healthy) meal! :)

Sara June 15, 2011

I’m so glad you had some time with your mom! I hope mine can come and visit soon so I can spoil her with good vegan food and show her around. We’ve been on the search for some really good “cheesy” garlic bread. We’ll have to try the above combo because it looks fantastic!

ellalinea June 15, 2011

I wasn’t into mushrooms either but they are really growing on me actually.. I think I will try this recipe soon! :)

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats June 15, 2011

I still haven’t grown into liking mushrooms but I try to eat them when I can. =( Your meal looks wonderful and I love the new room glow! That orange really makes it pop!

mariah (pictures pups and pies) June 15, 2011

I love the glow in your dining room! It looks so welcoming and homey! And that risotto looks fabulous. I wish my husband liked mushrooms! Oh well, I guess that means more for me!

Faith @ lovelyascharged June 15, 2011

I can’t get enough mushrooms either! “Mufwoom” was actually one of my first words!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 15, 2011

haha so cute!

Lauren June 15, 2011

I have never tried risotto! any kind at all. There I said it ;) but this recipe sounds really fun to try. Hmm Ontario usually does have a good mushroom crop eh? Our farmers market always has a lot of cool varieties :) http://lauren-whatlaurenlikes.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweet-potato-monster-farmers-market.html

Kelly June 15, 2011

I LOVE that last picture of your dining room! Amazing colors….with a very yummy looking dinner! :)

Heather (heathers dish) June 15, 2011

I’m convinced that mushrooms are the best risotto toppings (?) on the planet. I bet the earthiness pairs really well with the barley!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 15, 2011

mmm yes it does :)

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me June 15, 2011

I really really want to like mushrooms…but I just can’t get down. It’s a texture thing…they’re rubbery and just blegh! But I sooo wish I liked them.

veganlisa June 15, 2011

I’d like to be on that guest list please. xo

Cait's Plate June 15, 2011

I love that table scape picture – it looks so warm and comforting (as does the whole meal!)

Mushrooms Canada June 15, 2011

Such a great recipe Angela! And it’s super healthy! A garnish of enoki mushrooms would be pretty on top too. Have you tried Enoki mushrooms?
- Brittany

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 15, 2011

No I havent yet, what are they like? I’ll have to look them up!

Mushrooms Canada June 15, 2011

I think they are pretty good in small quantities, like as a garnish on top of your risotto… I would describe them as crunchy like a bean sprout, but they taste like a mushroom.
They actually grow on a farm in your area (not the big one up the street), so you could go there to get some.
- Brittany

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 15, 2011

thanks hun!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 15, 2011

Mushroom risotto is my favorite. I could eat pounds of mushrooms every day. I love them! I’ve played with barley instead of rice in risotto and love it. It feels (and is) such a better substitute nutritionally!

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) June 15, 2011

I love the orange dining room (with white too!). It looks so fresh and inviting. :)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 15, 2011

Yum, what an awesome meal!
I make the same garlic bread and it’s pretty amazing! I love the idea of this dish to, I have a love affair with mushrooms too!! mmmm :)

Shay June 15, 2011

I had it in my mind that I hated mushrooms, but I think I was just afraid of them. Enter: a persistant friend. I tried them and fell in love at first bite. YUM. Can not get enough now. It’s like a drug! (Did I take that too far?)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 15, 2011

im hoping that Eric likes them one day too :)

Shay June 15, 2011

Oh, I have no doubt he’ll come around eventually. With your cooking? No doubt.

The Healthy Hostess June 15, 2011

This is a great recipe! I am looking forward to making this after I stop at the Farmer’s Market this weekend! Time with moms is the best!!!

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat June 15, 2011

The risotto could use some nutritional yeast :) Have some dried chantrelles that I picked last year. Looks like a great way to use them.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 15, 2011

That is a good idea actually! Never thought to add nooch to it.

Tichina June 15, 2011

This recipe was my inspiration the other night when I looked in the fridge only to see what I could swear was a ton of fresh mushrooms! I modified the grain, but I must admit it tasted great, the fam jam gave great reviews about the dish :)

chloe @ 321delish June 15, 2011

NOTHING beats sauteed onions and mushrooms :) SO GOOD. IN ANYTHING!

kate June 15, 2011

I love mushrooms I seriously could eat them every day!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious June 15, 2011

That photo of your dining room is beautiful! Mushroom risotto is my favourite although I do love pretty much any kind of risotto that’s put in front of me ;-) I’m a huge lover of mushrooms and I have in fact done your porto pizzas – they were awesome!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 15, 2011

Im happy you like them! I need to make them on the grill this summaaa

Christina June 15, 2011

I LOVE mushrooms!! I think mushrooms are one of things that people love or hate (or don’t want to admit they like). My aunt swears up and down that mushrooms are the most disgusting ingredient ever, but she loves my stuffed mushrooms. Go figure!

And the living room glow! I love it! I’m love looking at pictures of people dining room tables, my apt in NY is so small we don’t even have one :( maybe I’ll find a small one soon.

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy June 15, 2011

Mm, this looks so good! I love mushrooms any way – even raw!

Hannah June 15, 2011

I love mushrooms, too, but for some reason I don’t eat them that often. I don’t really know why. Reading about you and your Mom the past couple of days has really made me smile, and you both look so happy and radiant in all of the photos – it’s clear that you’re really close.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 15, 2011

Aww thanks Hannah :)

Heidi @ Food Doodles June 15, 2011

Yummy :) I remember seeing that recipe. I’ve been meaning to try a barley risotto. Sounds so good and I love mushrooms :)

Carly June 15, 2011

I love mushrooms so much! I can’t wait to make this! Your tomato “cheese” risotto is one of my favorite dishes I have ever made, so I’m sure this is up there.

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) June 15, 2011

Yummmmmmm!!! I also love all types of mushrooms. And that dinner looks so fabulous. I want some of that garlic bread… :)

kaila @ healthy helper! June 15, 2011

Love that dinner!! SO many of my favorite foods right there! I love the mushrooms and the nutritional yeast! Can you send me some of the leftovers? LOL!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 15, 2011

you assume there are leftovers?? heh

Page 1 of 212»