Happy Heart, Happy Belly

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 13, 2011

Sunday was a great day. Sun

Well, aside from finding out that my ‘vertically growing spinach’ had gone to seed and BOLTED! Nooooooo.

IMG_7499

After reading up on it, I guess it is quite common. I had no idea this was a risk-factor for spinach! Gardening is a practice of trial and error I guess.

IMG_7452b

There was quality time with Mom…

IMG_7485-2

The Huz.

IMG_7508-2

Very successful oil-free baking…(coming soon!)

IMG_7483

Crate & Barrel

IMG_7514

Whole Foods Mississauga (opening in July)

IMG_7512

Square One Mall.

squareone

[source]

Fresh Restaurant in Toronto

Large_3918_for_2493

[source]

A belated birthday dinner courtesy of mom at my favourite vegan restaurant!

IMG_7521

Middle Eastern Plate appetizer made up of golden falafel balls with a crunchy exterior and pillowy interior, hummus, tahini, toasted organic whole wheat pita, fresh herbs, and olives:

IMG_7522

A DREAM to the taste buds!

IMG_7523

IMG_7524

I ordered the Flu Fighter juice made up of Celery, Kale, Carrot, Garlic, lemon, ginger, cayenne, and Echinacea.  It’s served hot like tea and was perfect on this chilly and cloudy day! This is one of my all-time favourite juices at Fresh.

IMG_7528

Hot lemon tea for mom and Eric had the Lucky Charm smoothie made up of raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, and mango.

IMG_7529

Mom had the Mushroom Onion burger with sautéed mushrooms and onions, tomato, lettuce, sprouts, cheese, and vegan mayo, along with sweet potato fries.

IMG_7533

IMG_7531

Eric and I both ordered the Grilled Vegetable and Pesto wrap with grilled red pepper, zucchini & sweet potato with pesto, vegan mayo, tomato, lettuce, cucumber, red onion & sprouts along with fries:

IMG_7536

Happy bellies ensued!

IMG_75393

It wouldn’t be complete without a vegan cupcake and brownie…

IMG_7540

This cupcake was a BASIL and cherry flavour! The basil was very pronounced in the frosting. It was strange and we weren’t sure if we liked it, but somehow it vanished from the plate! Funny how that works…

The flavour combo reminded me of something you’d see on Cupcake Wars!

IMG_7541

I forgot to get a picture of the vegan walnut brownie (aka: we inhaled it).

Today is the last day of mom’s stay, so we’re off to make it a good one. See you soon with a yummy oil-free sweet bread recipe! Have a fantastic start to your week!

Mushrooms Canada June 13, 2011 at 9:00 am

Looks like a wonderful day! I’ve never been to Fresh, but it’s on my list of places to try… Your mom’s meal is pretty much my dream dinner! I am on quite the sweet potato kick lately…
– Brittany

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 13, 2011 at 9:01 am

Oooooh BIG yummmm!! I have a feeling I know where we’re going in July! ;) Looks like an awesome trip, and I love your C&B table runners! I might have hit up Lululemon this weekend.. maybe. I thought of you while I was there and am totally bringing my new find over to your place! PS. Please re-create that vegan brownie and post the recipe. Even though I can’t see photos of it, I’m about 100% sure it’ll be good!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 13, 2011 at 9:05 am

Aw I love that face you’re making in the first picture! So dramatically sad… And that black outfit is gorgeous!! Especially the shoes!!!

Everything in this post is drool-worthy, and I can’t believe you fit it all in one day.

Hope your mom has a safe trip :)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 13, 2011 at 9:07 am

Those restaurant photos make me want to move there RIGHT AWAY! It’s hard to even find Vegetarian options in Pittsburgh, much less Vegan or GF! Can’t wait to see that oil free recipe!

Freya June 13, 2011 at 9:07 am

Awh what a lovely day! I love how they’ve got the WFs sign up, before there’s even a door :p
Basil and cherry? That does sound interesting!

Tori June 13, 2011 at 9:08 am

Aside from all awe-inspiring photos of food, I am dying to know if and when you are releasing a book?! I have been reading your blog for a bit over a year now and I don’t know if it is out of selective memory or not, but I can’t remember if you are writing a book?! Forgive me if I’m wrong, but your recipes are amazing! When ever I am procrastinating (which is basically every second of the day), I am flicking through your recipe archives, book marking something new to try. Each recipe I have ever tried from your blog has been amazing! Seriously, please get pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and write a recipe book, I will make all my friends buy it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 9:29 am

Aww thank you Tori! Im working on a cookbook proposal in 2011 :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg June 13, 2011 at 9:09 am

Have fun with your Mom!

Veggie/pesto wrap sounds amazing — it is definitely something you need to recreate!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 11:27 am

I agree…yum!

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 13, 2011 at 9:12 am

What a great day! Your mom is just beautiful – looks like y’all had a wonderful time together!

Katie June 13, 2011 at 9:12 am

Aww, you and your mom are so beautiful! Love your wedges!

Lisa Fine June 13, 2011 at 9:13 am

Sounds like so much fun, and I love the photos.

It’s great that the juice you had is served hot. I never would have thought of such a thing, but that sounds perfect on a cold day (well, except for my raw carrot allergy). :)

Enjoy the rest of your visit with your mom!

Valerie @ City|LIfe|Eats June 13, 2011 at 9:14 am

What an awesome day :) I can see why you love this restaurant. All the food looks amazing :)

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me June 13, 2011 at 9:15 am

Looks like a really a great day. Sorry to hear about the spinach. I’ve never heard of that either!

Claire June 13, 2011 at 9:21 am

Your photography skills are amazing! I love your post!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 11:27 am

cathy June 13, 2011 at 9:21 am

enjoy your day with your mom, angela!
WF mississauga?!! ack! wow! thanks for letting us know! square 1, fresh – – > you had a marvelous day (well, except for the spinach plants!)

Carol June 13, 2011 at 9:23 am

Looks like you had a great time. I would love to see your recreation of that cupcake…sounds very interesting:)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 13, 2011 at 9:24 am

Looks like you guys are having a blast! A basil cupcake? I love it! Herbs in cupcake form is brilliant in general… I’m thinking rosemary lemon?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 11:26 am

Rosemary lemon is genius!!

Halley (Blunder Construction) June 13, 2011 at 9:24 am

You & your mom are both glowing… so beautiful! I’m totally jealous of the new Whole Foods, mine is tiny and needs improvement!!

Beth June 13, 2011 at 9:29 am

My spinach did the same thing. Guess I didn’t pick it fast enough.
Your meals, smoothies and desserts look fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 11:26 am

Do you know if you are supposed to pick the leaves to prevent bolting?

Beth June 13, 2011 at 11:37 am

Everything I’ve read says that heat makes it bolt, and we’ve had three weeks of high temperatures. I did pick some before it bolted, but cleaned out the rest last night. I had much better luck with chard and lettuce. Some people say spinach does better when planted in fall, so I might give it another shot.

Michaela June 13, 2011 at 11:40 am

Hi
My mom is my big gardening advisor, she said spinach you supposed to seed only in early spring or autumn not in later spring/early summer because it will bolt. So you have chance in autumn:-) for spinach again.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Thanks!

Katie June 13, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Picking the leaves does help, but the heat causes it to bolt. You can actually find slow-bolting varieties, but spinach is best in cool weather. I’d plant more seeds in August. Also, if you plant a few seeds a couple weeks apart, you can extend the “season” a bit. Good luck!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 3:30 pm

great thank you!

Heather (heathers dish) June 13, 2011 at 9:34 am

Um, wow…what a delicious weekend you had! That cupcake just made me weak in the knees…yum!

haya June 13, 2011 at 9:37 am

the lettuce i planted a couple summers ago (2?) grew really tall and bolted quickly because of all the rain we had that year. must be the same this year. the in between heat probably helps too!

sad.
hope other things do better

Elizabeth @ the good life June 13, 2011 at 9:37 am

Ohh that cupcake looks wonderful!! :)

Shanna, Like Banana June 13, 2011 at 9:38 am

Seeing all those pictures made me happy. I can’t describe why, but they all just evoke a pleasantness ;)

Christina June 13, 2011 at 9:40 am

Nom nom nom, I think I’ll be heading to Fresh for dinner tonight!

Boo urns about the spinach but it is super easy (and cheap) to grow from seeds if you want to plant more. I like to plant seeds every two weeks so that I have a continuous supply over the summer. Once a plant bolts and I’ve eaten all the leaves I yank it and plant more seeds in that spot.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 11:26 am

I’ll have to pick up some seeds…tks!

chloe @ 321delish June 13, 2011 at 9:43 am

what is it about calling your middle area your belly instead of your stomach that makes it so much cuter :)

Grace June 13, 2011 at 9:43 am

Oh my goodness the falafel place looks delish! If I wasn’t in MA, I’d head over to that restaurant right now : [)

I’m so so happy to hear that you are working on a cookbook! Every one of your recipes that I have tried has been delicious, so I’m predicting a best seller : )

Good luck!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 11:25 am

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 13, 2011 at 9:44 am

I can’t wait for that bread recipe, it looks delicious!
You ladies sure had a busy day yesterday! I bet you’re excited to get a Whole Foods close to your house. The closest one we have is Vancouver… and we’re in Airdrie (outside Calgary) haha… fail. Have a great last day with your Mom!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 11:25 am

Maybe they will open one soon Calgary NEEDS a WF!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes June 13, 2011 at 9:47 am

It looks liek you have had an amazing weekend. All of your food shots look delicious!

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) June 13, 2011 at 9:48 am

Yum! I love Fresh… Soy is currently off-limits for me now which is killing me because they use vanilla soy in their delicious cornbread, and I’ve heard that their burgers are fantastic! Hopefully I’ll be able to try one soon….

Morgan @ Life After Bagels June 13, 2011 at 9:51 am

girrrrrrrl you said it – great weekend indeed, I wish I had that sun emoticon for my post :P

so sad about your spinach, I will now be watching mine like a HAWK!

allison June 13, 2011 at 9:53 am

I love your shoes!!!!!! I have been looking for wedges that i like and i haven’t found any the i like (or that are cheap enough lol)

And the same thing happened to one of my basil plants literally overnight:(:(:( at least i have a bunch more!

ANd i love love love Mediterranean food! if i could move to Greece, i’d leave in a second!

Emily June 13, 2011 at 9:53 am

That Middle Eastern plate looks soooo good! :)
And you look fantastic!

Hannah June 13, 2011 at 10:03 am

My aunt has an allotment which I help her out with sometimes, and every year there’s something or other that doesn’t do quite as well as the rest. It’s a lot of trial and error, as well, but very fun and rewarding IMO. I it’s amazing watching plants grow and feeling kind of proud of them when they do well – a bit like children that you can eat : P

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 11:17 am

hehe agree!

Ashley June 13, 2011 at 10:04 am

The headshot of your mom is gorgeous!!!! You all look so happy. I know the feeling…love having mom around!! :) The food is out of control. That falafel looks insane and everything else sounds 100% spectacular. So glad you had such a nice day + weekend!!! You look HOT in that black outfit! ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 11:24 am

hehe thanks Ash!

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa June 13, 2011 at 10:06 am

That food looks delicious!

Sounds like you had a great weekend with your mom!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 13, 2011 at 10:06 am

That Med plate looks amazing!!!!!!!! That is my perfect meal on a plate pretty much!!
The Vegan backpacker just wrote about a bunch of other Vegan places in TO, they all sounded pretty amazing too!

Have fun today with your Mom!!!

Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) June 13, 2011 at 10:09 am

I hope you have a great last day with your mom, enjoy every bit of it! It seems like you girls had a wonderfull time:)
But, on the other hand, with that load of good food, it better would be!

char @ char on a mission June 13, 2011 at 10:12 am

I cannot wait for that Whole Foods to open! Mainly because it will be closer for me to go to than the Oakville one! It’s funny that you went to Fresh, because I just tried it for the first time when I was down in Toronto a few weekends ago for a friends birthday. I got a green one and it was so good – especially after a night of celebrating ;) I never looked at their food menu, and now I need to go back!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 11:24 am

The mississauga location will be closer for me too! Cant wait :) I wonder when the grand opening is?

jenna June 13, 2011 at 10:13 am

fresh looks to die for!!! everything looks amazing! was your mom able to finish that whole burger? it looked like a ton of food!! yummy food!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 11:23 am

I helped her with the burger….haha :)

jess @ cupcakes and kale June 13, 2011 at 10:14 am

mmmm… the flu fighter is my favourite at fresh! just started following oh she glows – love, love, love so far!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 11:16 am

Thanks Jess!

Vanessa @ Loving the Sweet LIfe June 13, 2011 at 10:20 am

I was also at Fresh this weekend!! Now I’m wishing I had got the falafels, those look so flavourful and delicious. Interesting cupcake combination too! I had the Watermelon Omega Boost smoothie that made me so hyper (thanks to the Guarana!).

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 11:23 am

ohhh I was thinking about that smoothie…sounded amazing! I was so cold yesterday though!

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race June 13, 2011 at 10:32 am

Aw…what a great day! I love Crate & Barrel. We don’t have one here though (sad face)

Jen @newellnd June 13, 2011 at 10:44 am

I am super excited for the new Whole Foods in Mississauga. Lets grab lunch sometime once it opens. Would love to chat health, baking and fitness!

Moni'sMeals June 13, 2011 at 10:52 am

I will have a great start to my week, thanks to these amazing meal photos. What a great day. Good for you!

Have a lovely Monday! :)

Michelle | Gold-Hearted Girl June 13, 2011 at 10:53 am

Wow, so much deliciousness going on here! Yay for all the new goodies in town!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! June 13, 2011 at 10:53 am

It’s a genius trick on the restaurant’s part – making a strange food that makes you keep wanting to try another bite to decide if you like it or not! haha, looks like a fantastic weekend, happy monday :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 11:22 am

haha yes it is!

Heidi @ Food Doodles June 13, 2011 at 10:55 am

Aw, what a great day :D I’m curious about that bread too, it looks so good!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious June 13, 2011 at 11:03 am

Sounds like an amazing time so far with your mom ~ enjoy the last day of your visit!

Amber K June 13, 2011 at 11:05 am

I’m not a big fan when savory and sweet are combined. Dessert still has a way of always getting finished though! :)

Shady June 13, 2011 at 11:06 am

I tried Rawlicious based on your experience, had their pad thai and it was OMG amazing! So good, I went back last night and got dinner to go for my bus ride home. I don’t live in Toronto (sadly) but Rawlicious is very close to my office in Yorkville and it could become problematic.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 11:21 am

mmmm love rawlicious! Glad you enjoyed it!

Christie June 13, 2011 at 11:07 am

Ahhh Whole Foods is opening in Mississauga?! This is wonderful news!
.. Maybe not so wonderful for my wallet..
Where in Mississauga? And how was I unaware of this?
And I really have to get myself to Fresh. It always looks so good in pictures!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 11:22 am

Right beside square one next to C& B

Zandra June 13, 2011 at 11:18 am

I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now and have loved so many of your recipes! Thanks! This weekend I made the Easy Cheezy Crackers and my family loved them. My husband even liked them more than the homemade goldfish crackers (we aren’t vegan). I was wondering if you consider using applesauce for oil when baking? I did that with the 2nd batch of Easy Cheezy crackers and my family didn’t notice a difference. I bought a pasta roller (cheap), specifically for crackers which really helps too. Thanks again for so many awesome recipes. We also started drinking green monsters since reading your blog and my kids just down them (even my 1 year old)!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 11:21 am

Wow that is so cool is worked with applesauce! Thanks for your kind words too!

Namaste Gurl June 13, 2011 at 11:33 am

A day of yummy vegan food, Whole Foods, AND Crate and Barrel? Wow- looks like you hit all targets :) Glad you had a lovely weekend, almost felt like I was there with you!

rachael (peace, kale, and yoga) June 13, 2011 at 11:48 am

Looks like a great weekend! The vegan restaurant food pictures are making my mouth water!

Donna June 13, 2011 at 11:55 am

Ohhh i saw the sign for the new whole foods when i was at crate and barrel a few weeks ago, i can’t wait! Even though i love the one in Oakville for its close proximity to my fav lululemon :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 9:09 pm

that is my fav lululemon too…i love how close it is to the entrance…haha

Teniesha @ Vegan on the Go-Go June 13, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I am very, very intrigued by that cherry/basil cupcake. Do you think it would be worth re-creating?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Possibly!! I still cant decide if I enjoyed it enough!

Rhona June 13, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Ok, what a great weekend! I am over the moon excited for Whole Foods opening next month. I work in Mississauga and moving to Mimico so this is PEFECT for me. I have been waiting for the last 2 years for this to happen.
OMG! Fresh is fantastic, no? I have never had the burger your mom had but I will have to change that quick!
And, cannot wait for the oil free bake. You should check out Dr. McDougall. His site and books have all vegan, oil and fat free recipes and I can attest, they taste great.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 13, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Oh no! I hate when my basil bolts, I didn’t even realize spinach would do the same thing. I’m constantly plucking my basil even if i just have to throw it away so it doesn’t bolt. I’m hope they’re salvagable!

Keelie (SweatEqualsSuccess) June 13, 2011 at 12:34 pm

You and your mom are SO CUTE! :)

I am a huge falafel fan- all the food from FRESH looks delish! :)

Julia June 13, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I loooove Fresh! Yum yum.. this post sure made me want to go there soon…
Love your blog ! :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 13, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I dream of the day I see a Whole Foods sprouting up in our area.

That restaurant looks wonderful! Everything looks so delicious and exactly what I would have ordered. Well, one or the other, lol.

Suzanne Williams June 13, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Love the creamy avocado pasta and posted it on my blog. Thank you, yummy. I like it garlicky as well, so I kept the 3 in there. Just delish!
Suzanne Williams

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Suzanne!

Roz June 13, 2011 at 1:12 pm

You are getting a Whole Foods in Mississauga??? My sister in law (who lives there) will be SOOOOO excited. It’s her favorite! Looks like a wonderful time with your family! Look forward to the oil free recipe. Have a great day.

Michelle S. June 13, 2011 at 1:27 pm

My office is in Square One. I’m rather looking forward to the opening of the new Whole Foods here! I won’t do all of my shopping there (can’t afford to) but it’s good to have it so close.

Melissa June 13, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I had lunch at Fresh on Bloor for the first time on Friday on my recent trip to Toronto. I can’t wait to go back! I had the quinoa battered onion rings, a black bean burrito and a Refresher juice. So yummy! The wrap was huge though so I was stuffed all afternoon. Love the decor there too.

Nicole June 13, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I actually love basil in sweets! A few years ago I made coconut cupcakes that I filled with a mango-basil filling and topped with a coconut frosting. They were amazing! Still some of the best cupcakes I’ve ever made!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 9:06 pm

WOw that sounds incredible…are they on your blog by chance? :)

Nicole June 13, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Sadly I lost all the archives on my site! I’m still working on building all the recipes back up! But the recipe is saved on SpringPad, thankfully.

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons June 13, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Gosh! my belly would be happy too! I wish there were vegan restaurants in my area of NC… I stick to super ethnic places b/c they always have some fabulous healthy options for me… but a vegan joint would rock my socks! =)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 13, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Oh Angela…the photos of you and your mom are wonderful.

You take after your blog’s namesake in this post: GLOWING!!!!!!

You are just radiant, beautiful, gorgeous and your hair, mmmm, lookin’ so lovely in this post!

I am soooo happy you have had this time w/ your mama and I love the looks of all the food. The the Lucky Charm smoothie…oh, delish sounding.

Enjoy her last day here!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Thanks Averie, you are too kind!

erica June 13, 2011 at 2:26 pm

i love your necklace!

and love all the pictures of your weekend!

Julie - StressStories June 13, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Haha :-) Love the first pic – you look like a school-teacher scolding the spinach for going to seed…

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 9:05 pm

hehe I was!

Stephenie Zamora June 13, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Beautiful pictures as always! Loving all that delicious looking food. YUM! Sounds like you’re having an amazing time with you mom. xo

Lauren (PB&G) June 13, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Wow that cupcake is right up my alley! I’m a supporter of basil in a sweet dessert and I’m loving the fact that it’s paired with cherries! Looks like you’re having a great time!

VeggieGirl June 13, 2011 at 3:25 pm

You really ARE glowing in your photos :D Ive also never seen falafels that looked that tasty!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats June 13, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Sorry to hear about your spinach! Thanks for inspiring me to try growing my own veggies though! I’d never have taken the leap! Can’t wait to see your garden in full bloom.

Kathy June 13, 2011 at 3:43 pm

looks like the perfect day to me~!

I want that cupcake!

Paige @Running Around Normal June 13, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Booo! Sorry about the spinach, Angela!
That meal looks fantastic:) And Eric’s smoothie really has me raving one now!

laurie June 13, 2011 at 4:11 pm

this looks really yummy, you and your mum are beautiful woman and healthy,, kinda glowing,, lol

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 13, 2011 at 4:23 pm

What a perfect day!

LizAshlee June 13, 2011 at 5:05 pm

You and your mom are too cute! What a beautiful duo! Hope you enjoy a wonderful last day with your mom…wishing you lots of fun & laughter!!

Mama Pea June 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I love basil in sweets…strange I know. If you don’t replicate that cupcake, I might have to give it a go! Glad you’ve enjoyed your time with your mom :)

kaila @ healthy helper! June 13, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I NEED TO GO TO THAT RESTAURANT! It sounds so awesome!!!
And that is totally the most unique cupcake variety I have ever seen! Love it! I would love to recreate something like that!

Kathleen June 13, 2011 at 5:23 pm

WOW! Whole Foods!!
With more sprouting up in Ont, it gives me hope for us out East in NS !!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 9:04 pm

yes NS def. NEEDS ONE!

Angela June 13, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Oh man all that food looks delicious. And I love how another Whole Foods is opening in Toronto, since I’m moving there next year! :)

Sky June 13, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Basil and Cherry… hmmm, who would have thought… I might just have to give that one a try.

Have lots of fun with your mom on her last day!

Leah June 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Hi Angela
Wow! This post makes me REALLY wish I lived in Toronto!
Any chance you might try to recreate the grilled veggie pesto wrap?!

The pictures look too amazing. :-)
I see a recipe coming up?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Hmm maybe! :)

Zestful Lou June 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Oh goodness, that falafel is making my mouth water!!!

I also could have used that flu-fighter juice. I had to call in sick to work today and I slept for a record-breaking (for me, anyway) 13 hours!

Looks like you had a great weekend with your mom. Isn’t mommy time the best??

Christine (The Raw Project) June 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Wow, what a great day! The golden falafel balls look amazing, I want them now! :-) And so exciting about the Whole Foods!

¡Yo Soy Liz! June 13, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I love your shoes! Where are they from??

Emma June 13, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I am so in love with your site! And you really are glowing! I am so envious about how green it is around where you live. I am stuck in a condo in the middle of the city, and whenever I attempt to take a short walk to get some sunshine, I get high in smog haha…that is, if I do not get run over.

Cheers! And hot yoga is love <3

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Thanks you Emma!

Carey @ Positively Blonde June 13, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Basil and cherry, what an odd combo! I love those unique combo though. Recently I had a lavender chocolate chip cookie, which ended up being delicious!
Can’t wait to hear more about this cookbook- so exciting!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011 at 9:02 pm

mmm that sounds DELISH!

[email protected] June 13, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Looks like it was an amazing meal!

Emily June 13, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Great looking food and photos! Looks like you’re having such a great time with your mom!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 13, 2011 at 9:15 pm

That meal looks amazing. I’m so glad you’re having such a great time with your mom!

I am SO excited for that new WF in Mississauga to open! I hope it’s a lot bigger than the Oakville one. :D

Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 13, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Sounds like a wonderful day! You and your mom look so much alike, both gorgeous:-)

[email protected] June 13, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I love your heels! I’d probably die in them though haha.

Alecto June 13, 2011 at 10:07 pm

the lucky charm smoothie sounds DELICIOUS.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking June 14, 2011 at 1:39 am

Wow, the food at Fresh looks outstanding! I’m so intrigued by the basil and cherry cupcake! It sounds so interesting…maybe I will try that flavor combo in my next baking adventure!

Kristy H June 14, 2011 at 2:30 am

That’s so great that you had a nice time with your Mum, the food looks amazing. Pity about your spinach, im sure everything else is growing well though and your next lot of spinach goes better. Love that necklace!

Molly @ RDexposed June 14, 2011 at 6:06 am

I love basil, but have yet to have it in a cupcake! I’m a bit concerned about my own spinach. I was almost eye level with it last night to analyze it’s growth.

Sarah June 14, 2011 at 8:41 am

Your dinner is having me wish I had a restaurant like that in my area! Maybe we do, and I just don’t know about it yet?:-)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh June 14, 2011 at 8:48 am

Ahhh! My spinach did that too!! I will have to do a bit of research on that as this is the 2nd year in a row and I’m about to give up on the leafy goodness. The spinach was basically done for 4 days after I planted it. :-( Glad you had a good time with your mom!

Bernadette B June 14, 2011 at 8:48 am

Hi Angela,
I’ve been following your blog for a couple months now—-love your photos, your positive outlook and your glow :) My husband and I have tried a few of your recipes and they’ve all turned out really well. Most recently, I made your No-Bake Chocolate Torte for an Early Father’s Day celebration and it was FABULOUS! It’s difficult to find vegan-gluten-free desserts in general (my husband’s also allergic to oats) and your torte was perfection. We’re actually planning on making mini-tortes in 1-cup lidded containers, freezing them for a few days and bringing them on our family camping trip (yes, we are loathe to skimp on good food even when we’re in the great outdoors). I’ve never commented on your blog before, but today I just HAD to because I want to ask you—WHERE did you get the necklace you’re wearing in these photos?! It is lovely and SO fun and looks perfectly chic with your outfit.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011 at 9:48 am

Hi Bernadette! Thank you so much for your kind comments about my blog! Glad to hear you are enjoying the recipes so much. :) The necklace was a gift from my mother in law…Im not sure where she got it. Sorry about that! If I remember I will ask her next time I see her. :) All the best, Ange

Mimi June 14, 2011 at 8:52 am

I’m registered at Crate and Barrel for my wedding. Feel free to check out the list! (;

Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries June 14, 2011 at 8:55 am

That vegan restaurant looks amazing. Especially that middle eastern platter, yay for falafel!

Cait's Plate June 14, 2011 at 8:58 am

That middle eastern plate looks AMAZING.

Barry June 14, 2011 at 9:19 am

Sorry to hear about your spinach. Gardening in Calgary is suicidal. Nice picture of you and your Mom.

Christina @ The Athletarian June 14, 2011 at 9:42 am

Angela! I went to Fresh on Sunday too! It was just for a slice of their carrot cake though! :D That wrap is one of my favourites! I also love the Kathmandu wrap! Everything there is sooooo yummy. I am definitely going to try that smoothie the next time I go.

You and your mom are so beautiful and look so much alike!

Tiffany June 14, 2011 at 12:29 pm

That food looks amazing! I would kill to have a vegan restaurant near me! So sorry to hear about your spinach…this is my first year gardening as well, and it’s so exciting to see everything growing!

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life June 14, 2011 at 2:31 pm

GAH that middle eastern plate is basically my idea of the perfect meal. I’m sitting in the airport drooling at your fabulous dinner. I only have pretzels to much on here!

Betsy June 14, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Mmmmm Fresh is my favourite vegan place too…. and now your photos have me craving it for dinner tonight!

michelle June 14, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I’m SO excited about Wholefoods opening at Square One. Just today I drove all the way to Oakville and of course hit traffic on Ford Dr.

Lauren C. @ FocusedToBeFit June 15, 2011 at 1:09 pm

What an awesome day! Now I want falafel, mmm!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 16, 2011 at 7:04 pm

That cupcake sounds awesome! Definitely something from cupcake wars!!! Haha, you should create a crazy recipe like that!

Rachel Stith June 20, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I see that you’re wearing a necklace from mark! Awesome! I love to see that as I am a mark representitive!

Lauren June 21, 2011 at 12:42 pm

It’s so strange to see pictures of Square One and Fresh on your blog! You must live quite nearby! And I can’t believe you had a belated birthday dinner at Fresh … I went there for my birthday in mid-May. Crazy. When I went, their feature cupcake was Strawberry Lavender from Sweets From The Earth bakery. It was lovely. My dish at Fresh is always the Green Goddess – tempeh is a bit of a treat for me, and the kale/bok choy/nori/tamari/ginger flavour combo is incredible!