Happy Heart, Happy Belly

Sunday was a great day. Sun

Well, aside from finding out that my ‘vertically growing spinach’ had gone to seed and BOLTED! Nooooooo.

IMG_7499

After reading up on it, I guess it is quite common. I had no idea this was a risk-factor for spinach! Gardening is a practice of trial and error I guess.

IMG_7452b

There was quality time with Mom…

IMG_7485-2

The Huz.

IMG_7508-2

Very successful oil-free baking…(coming soon!)

IMG_7483

Crate & Barrel

IMG_7514

Whole Foods Mississauga (opening in July)

IMG_7512

Square One Mall.

squareone

[source]

Fresh Restaurant in Toronto

Large_3918_for_2493

[source]

A belated birthday dinner courtesy of mom at my favourite vegan restaurant!

IMG_7521

Middle Eastern Plate appetizer made up of golden falafel balls with a crunchy exterior and pillowy interior, hummus, tahini, toasted organic whole wheat pita, fresh herbs, and olives:

IMG_7522

A DREAM to the taste buds!

IMG_7523

IMG_7524

I ordered the Flu Fighter juice made up of Celery, Kale, Carrot, Garlic, lemon, ginger, cayenne, and Echinacea.  It’s served hot like tea and was perfect on this chilly and cloudy day! This is one of my all-time favourite juices at Fresh.

IMG_7528

Hot lemon tea for mom and Eric had the Lucky Charm smoothie made up of raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, and mango.

IMG_7529

Mom had the Mushroom Onion burger with sautéed mushrooms and onions, tomato, lettuce, sprouts, cheese, and vegan mayo, along with sweet potato fries.

IMG_7533

IMG_7531

Eric and I both ordered the Grilled Vegetable and Pesto wrap with grilled red pepper, zucchini & sweet potato with pesto, vegan mayo, tomato, lettuce, cucumber, red onion & sprouts along with fries:

IMG_7536

Happy bellies ensued!

IMG_75393

It wouldn’t be complete without a vegan cupcake and brownie…

IMG_7540

This cupcake was a BASIL and cherry flavour! The basil was very pronounced in the frosting. It was strange and we weren’t sure if we liked it, but somehow it vanished from the plate! Funny how that works…

The flavour combo reminded me of something you’d see on Cupcake Wars!

IMG_7541

I forgot to get a picture of the vegan walnut brownie (aka: we inhaled it).

Today is the last day of mom’s stay, so we’re off to make it a good one. See you soon with a yummy oil-free sweet bread recipe! Have a fantastic start to your week!

Page 3 of 3«123
Lauren June 21, 2011

It’s so strange to see pictures of Square One and Fresh on your blog! You must live quite nearby! And I can’t believe you had a belated birthday dinner at Fresh … I went there for my birthday in mid-May. Crazy. When I went, their feature cupcake was Strawberry Lavender from Sweets From The Earth bakery. It was lovely. My dish at Fresh is always the Green Goddess – tempeh is a bit of a treat for me, and the kale/bok choy/nori/tamari/ginger flavour combo is incredible!

Rachel Stith June 20, 2011

I see that you’re wearing a necklace from mark! Awesome! I love to see that as I am a mark representitive!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 16, 2011

That cupcake sounds awesome! Definitely something from cupcake wars!!! Haha, you should create a crazy recipe like that!

Lauren C. @ FocusedToBeFit June 15, 2011

What an awesome day! Now I want falafel, mmm!

michelle June 14, 2011

I’m SO excited about Wholefoods opening at Square One. Just today I drove all the way to Oakville and of course hit traffic on Ford Dr.

Betsy June 14, 2011

Mmmmm Fresh is my favourite vegan place too…. and now your photos have me craving it for dinner tonight!

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life June 14, 2011

GAH that middle eastern plate is basically my idea of the perfect meal. I’m sitting in the airport drooling at your fabulous dinner. I only have pretzels to much on here!

Tiffany June 14, 2011

That food looks amazing! I would kill to have a vegan restaurant near me! So sorry to hear about your spinach…this is my first year gardening as well, and it’s so exciting to see everything growing!

Christina @ The Athletarian June 14, 2011

Angela! I went to Fresh on Sunday too! It was just for a slice of their carrot cake though! :D That wrap is one of my favourites! I also love the Kathmandu wrap! Everything there is sooooo yummy. I am definitely going to try that smoothie the next time I go.

You and your mom are so beautiful and look so much alike!

Barry June 14, 2011

Sorry to hear about your spinach. Gardening in Calgary is suicidal. Nice picture of you and your Mom.

Cait's Plate June 14, 2011

That middle eastern plate looks AMAZING.

Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries June 14, 2011

That vegan restaurant looks amazing. Especially that middle eastern platter, yay for falafel!

Mimi June 14, 2011

I’m registered at Crate and Barrel for my wedding. Feel free to check out the list! (;

Bernadette B June 14, 2011

Hi Angela,
I’ve been following your blog for a couple months now—-love your photos, your positive outlook and your glow :) My husband and I have tried a few of your recipes and they’ve all turned out really well. Most recently, I made your No-Bake Chocolate Torte for an Early Father’s Day celebration and it was FABULOUS! It’s difficult to find vegan-gluten-free desserts in general (my husband’s also allergic to oats) and your torte was perfection. We’re actually planning on making mini-tortes in 1-cup lidded containers, freezing them for a few days and bringing them on our family camping trip (yes, we are loathe to skimp on good food even when we’re in the great outdoors). I’ve never commented on your blog before, but today I just HAD to because I want to ask you—WHERE did you get the necklace you’re wearing in these photos?! It is lovely and SO fun and looks perfectly chic with your outfit.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011

Hi Bernadette! Thank you so much for your kind comments about my blog! Glad to hear you are enjoying the recipes so much. :) The necklace was a gift from my mother in law…Im not sure where she got it. Sorry about that! If I remember I will ask her next time I see her. :) All the best, Ange

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh June 14, 2011

Ahhh! My spinach did that too!! I will have to do a bit of research on that as this is the 2nd year in a row and I’m about to give up on the leafy goodness. The spinach was basically done for 4 days after I planted it. :-( Glad you had a good time with your mom!

Sarah June 14, 2011

Your dinner is having me wish I had a restaurant like that in my area! Maybe we do, and I just don’t know about it yet?:-)

Molly @ RDexposed June 14, 2011

I love basil, but have yet to have it in a cupcake! I’m a bit concerned about my own spinach. I was almost eye level with it last night to analyze it’s growth.

Kristy H June 14, 2011

That’s so great that you had a nice time with your Mum, the food looks amazing. Pity about your spinach, im sure everything else is growing well though and your next lot of spinach goes better. Love that necklace!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking June 14, 2011

Wow, the food at Fresh looks outstanding! I’m so intrigued by the basil and cherry cupcake! It sounds so interesting…maybe I will try that flavor combo in my next baking adventure!

Alecto June 13, 2011

the lucky charm smoothie sounds DELICIOUS.

Jess@atasteofconfidence June 13, 2011

I love your heels! I’d probably die in them though haha.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 13, 2011

Sounds like a wonderful day! You and your mom look so much alike, both gorgeous:-)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 13, 2011

That meal looks amazing. I’m so glad you’re having such a great time with your mom!

I am SO excited for that new WF in Mississauga to open! I hope it’s a lot bigger than the Oakville one. :D

Emily June 13, 2011

Great looking food and photos! Looks like you’re having such a great time with your mom!

Annie@stronghealthyfit June 13, 2011

Looks like it was an amazing meal!

Carey @ Positively Blonde June 13, 2011

Basil and cherry, what an odd combo! I love those unique combo though. Recently I had a lavender chocolate chip cookie, which ended up being delicious!
Can’t wait to hear more about this cookbook- so exciting!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011

mmm that sounds DELISH!

Emma June 13, 2011

I am so in love with your site! And you really are glowing! I am so envious about how green it is around where you live. I am stuck in a condo in the middle of the city, and whenever I attempt to take a short walk to get some sunshine, I get high in smog haha…that is, if I do not get run over.

Cheers! And hot yoga is love <3

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011

Thanks you Emma!

¡Yo Soy Liz! June 13, 2011

I love your shoes! Where are they from??

Christine (The Raw Project) June 13, 2011

Wow, what a great day! The golden falafel balls look amazing, I want them now! :-) And so exciting about the Whole Foods!

Zestful Lou June 13, 2011

Oh goodness, that falafel is making my mouth water!!!

I also could have used that flu-fighter juice. I had to call in sick to work today and I slept for a record-breaking (for me, anyway) 13 hours!

Looks like you had a great weekend with your mom. Isn’t mommy time the best??

Leah June 13, 2011

Hi Angela
Wow! This post makes me REALLY wish I lived in Toronto!
Any chance you might try to recreate the grilled veggie pesto wrap?!

The pictures look too amazing. :-)
I see a recipe coming up?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011

Hmm maybe! :)

Sky June 13, 2011

Basil and Cherry… hmmm, who would have thought… I might just have to give that one a try.

Have lots of fun with your mom on her last day!

Angela June 13, 2011

Oh man all that food looks delicious. And I love how another Whole Foods is opening in Toronto, since I’m moving there next year! :)

Kathleen June 13, 2011

WOW! Whole Foods!!
With more sprouting up in Ont, it gives me hope for us out East in NS !!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011