Family Love

The name of the game before mom arrives?

Clean House :)

img-7734

Eric is a big list guy so he always makes a big list for us to cross off when we do a big top-to-bottom house clean. It always makes me laugh when he gives me a list!

IMG_7292

Mom was very impressed with the renos we’ve done since her last visit!

IMG_7337

Earlier in the day, we had a lovely visit with Grandpa and Diane when we picked up my mom (she was staying there for a few days).

IMG_7296

My Grandpa continues to stay very positive with his Leukemia battle. He’s had a very rough go with a chemo drug called Valcade, so he’s off of it for the time being. The drug gave him extreme leg pain and he lost about 15 pounds while on it. Not a very fun way to live! Since he’s been off it, he has regained about 10 pounds and his leg pain has improved about 40%. He is still on another chemo drug (can’t remember the name) that doesn’t have as many side effects.

Despite all this, he is always positive and staying active. He’s a fighter!

IMG_7300

DSC01063

A couple group shots…

IMG_7302

DSC01072

IMG_7303

After our visit, we met my Grammy and Harry for lunch. It was a beautiful day so we sat outside!

IMG_7318

Cuties!

IMG_7319

Eric enjoyed beer because I was the driver yesterday. :)

IMG_7308

Mom and I had green tea.

IMG_7315

Meals were enjoyed…

IMG_7323

IMG_7324

IMG_7325

IMG_7329

The North Restaurant is by no means a vegan-friendly restaurant, but the chef said he could make me a stir-fry that was vegan. I asked for brown rice and a vegan protein along with the stir-fry, but no such luck….just veggies came out!

IMG_7330

It was beautiful, but not very filling for my growling stomach. Luckily, I packed a high-protein Renew Glo Bar and apple + PB in my purse because I anticipated post-restaurant hunger. I dream of the day when restaurants are more vegan-friendly…until then, I make do with what I can!

This morning, I was the first one up around 7am, so I headed out for a quick run while the beauties slept. We’re supposed to get T-storms all day, but I was happy to see that it was just cloudy this morning instead of rain.

IMG_7278

I picked up this Power Y tank after so many of you recommended it in my workout clothes post. I’m in love with it…I also love that it is one of their cheapest tanks. It doesn’t have much support though, so I wear the Flow Y bra underneath when running.

IMG_2295

Umm..don’t mind my weird alien expression…it takes me about a mile before I wake up in the morning!

IMG_7353

I ran a 3-mile progressive negative split (<—info) and I told myself I was running a race to make it more interesting!

• Mile 1 = 8:36
  • Mile 2 = 8:26
  • Mile 3 = 8:13

I just love fast & short runs. I’m thinking of signing up for my very first 5k race soon! I think this will be the summer of short distance races, perhaps…

When I returned the sleeping beauties were awake and we made breakfast. Mom and I both thought a Green Monster would hit the spot…

IMG_7347

I made us a berry banana GM with lots of chia seeds and spinach.

IMG_7339

For two servings: 3 handfuls spinach, 2 cups almond milk, 3/4 cup frozen berries (cherries, strawberries), 2 tbsp chia seeds, 2 frozen bananas, protein powder.

Yummerz.

IMG_7344

I photographed them on our new tablerunner & napkins that mom got us from Crate & Barrel. :) They match our orange dining room really well. :)

I think we’re off to do a bit of gardening before the storms move in…see ya soon!

1 Sheena January 25, 2013

Lovely! You have a beautiful family, thanks for sharing.

2 Stephanie June 12, 2011

I love the cast iron tea pot. It’s so pretty!

3 Grace @ Healthy Dreaming June 12, 2011

Amazing photos! Looks like you had a lovely visit :)

I clean too when I have visitors!

4 Sarah June 12, 2011

Gorgeous photos!! Those meals look SO delicious!

5 Mer June 12, 2011

Your family is absolutely lovely! Looks like you had a fantastic time!
Question for you: when you run in the morning and it takes you a while to wake up, do you feel that your form suffers or do you have a tip on preventing that? The only time I really have to run is in the morning, but my body seems to take FOREVER to wake up, and I know my form is off, which leads to shin splints, etc.
Thanks!

6 Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather June 12, 2011

I like your whole running outfit! The top looks comfy + cute. So cool that your mom loves GMs too. Have a great time with your family :)

7 Barry June 12, 2011

Nice photos, the first I have seen of your family. There is great power in a sense of humour and a positive attitude. It is a major part of climbing mountains.

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2011

I bet it is :) We’ll have to go hiking with you soon!

9 Sam @ Mom At The Barre June 12, 2011

I just stumbled across your blog while researching green smoothie recipes. How did I not know of your blog before? Such a world of amazing recipes that I cannot wait to try out!

I recently started supplementing green smoothies into my diet, more as a way to ensure getting a decent amount of veggies and fruits daily. It’s working out well so far.

Looking forward to catching up on your earlier posts!

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2011

Thank you Sam!

11 ashley @ cooking for john June 11, 2011

oh my goodness, that tea cup is awesome! i love the linens your mom brought you, so colorful!

12 Jamie June 11, 2011

I am looking into protien powders and I was wondering what kind of protein powder you use and what you would suggest. Please and thank you

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2011

I use Vega choc-o-lot protein powder right now. Im starting to get sick of it! lol. But it is one of my favs…im not big on many protein powder, but I love that this one is made from pea protein and no artificial sweeteners.

14 Mimi (Gingersnaps) June 11, 2011

Your family looks so kind! I love it when family comes over…the house always looks so clean afterward.

15 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me June 11, 2011

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. That’s tough. But I’m glad he’s feeling a little better. Your kitchen is gorgeous btw. I love it!

16 Angela June 11, 2011

Glad to hear that you are spending some quality time with your family. Random question: Have you ever done a post about running first thing in the morning? (if you eat something before, stretching, tips for getting up early enough etc.) I’m afraid my new work schedule is going to force me to fit in my runs in the morning and I’ve always run in the late afternoon. Any suggestions? THANKS!!
(Oh, and I just have to say that though I don’t comment often, I love your blog! It was one of the first blogs I ever started reading and it’s still the best)

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

Hey Angela! Thanks for your comments :)
I usually have half a banana before a regular distance run (3-5 miles). Anything more than that and I have something a bit more substantial. I find I can run almost immediaately after having half a banana too which is nice. I also like to bring pitted medjool dates if im running over 6 miles.
As for getting up, the only way I can do it is getting into a schedule of going to bed earlier at night. There will often be a few nights/days when you are tiredm but eventually the body will start craving to go to bed earlier. I find this is easier in the summer and MUCH more difficult in the winter/fall! I also find I need less sleep in the summer..right now I get about 7 hours and i feel fine, but in the winter i need about 8.

Have fun :)

18 Angela June 12, 2011

Thanks for these tips!

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2011

NP!

20 stella ~ shiny yoga* June 11, 2011

oh wowser, that berry banana GM sounds a-mah-zing!!! xx

21 [email protected] June 11, 2011

Good to hear your grandpa is positive. He is an inspiration!

22 Heather (Faces of Beauty) June 11, 2011

what a fun time with your family! i’m so glad that your grandfather is fighting so hard…he looks like he’s truly finding joy in life despite the circumstances!

23 Ariane June 11, 2011

I haven’t been able to keep up with my fave blogs too much since I started my new job, so today was my first day here in soooo long! :(
1. The first thing I said to myself was “oh my gosh I forgot how pretty she is!” You’re so pretty!
2. I forgot how much I love green monsters. They’re definitely going to make a comeback into my life soon.

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

you are too sweet!
Yes GMs are great, esp in the summer….ahhhh

25 Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas June 11, 2011

I’m jealous of your beautiful family! And those green smoothies!!!!!
P.S. Your grandpa looks great! :-)

26 kris (everyday oats) June 11, 2011

I love spending time with the family! Hope you’re enjoying your time with your mom!

Great photos btw!

27 danielle June 11, 2011

I have a question…how much do you and your husband eat out/wk? i am trying to cut back and I am curious!
Thanks:)
Danielle

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

Rarely…they arent many good restaurants nearby so that makes it very easy! :) Eric eats out for lunch at work though.
Now if we lived in an area with great restaurants though, I would say we’d go out to eat once a week. :)

29 Katherina @ Zephyr Runs June 11, 2011

Those glasses you’re drinking the GMs in look like how I like to enjoy my smoothies! It’s a small ~8oz glass that was probably a jar in a former life. I think I naturally might run negative splits – the first mile for me is terrible and then I fall into a groove. I’ve never run more than like 3.5 miles though :P

30 [email protected] June 11, 2011

Beautiful and happy people :-)

31 Em Marie June 11, 2011

Your house is gorgeous!

Have fun with your precious family!

32 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 11, 2011

Sounds like a great time! haha I look the SAME in the morning when I go for my runs too.

33 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 11, 2011

I’m glad your grandpa is doing better after that bad experience with the drug. Hopefully this new one will be better for him and that he continues to stay positive and fight!!! :)

It makes me crazy that a restaurant assumes that just because someone is vegan, they are also a light eater who can be satisfied by a handful of vegetables. I can’t wait for the day when restaurants start including more meat-free proteins in their meals!

34 Justeen @ Blissful Baking June 11, 2011

It must be so nice to spend time with your family! My relatives are all in town this weekend, and it’s been so much fun catching up with them!

I had almost the exact same green monster today, except I used kale along with spinach. Yum!

35 Stephenie Zamora June 11, 2011

I struggle with eating out as a vegan as well… especially when it involves family or other people. You always end up with a weak salad or a bunch of grilled veggies like that. I decided after the last salad that I’m going to start bringing my own beans and add on toppings with me. :)

PS – your house is beautiful! xo

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

haha that would be awesome to bring your own beans!!!

37 kaila @ healthy helper! June 11, 2011

Thats so great that you and Eric work together to get the house together for your mom! How sweet!

Banana and frozen sweet cherries are my favorite things to put in green monsters! Love the one you made!

38 Claire June 11, 2011

Angela,
Where do you get the neat glass straw that you drink your green monsters with?

Thanks for all your helpful posts!

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

Hi Claire, Its from Glass Dharma: http://glassdharma.com/

love them :)

40 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 11, 2011

I love that your mom bought you a new table runner and napkins…as a blogger, getting anything new to photograph things on is like kid in a candy store type moment!

The pic of you in your new tank and workout clothes….you are lookin’ good there, girlie! Whatever you’re doing, keep doing it. You look awesome :)

The pictures of the restaurant food are amazing. I am super impressed with your restaurant photography skills! Which is it’s own beast. ha!

Have a wonderful time with your mom, Angela! :)

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

Thanks hun!

42 Charlie June 11, 2011

I read your blog all the time… for many reasons, mostly though because I am trying desperately to get my Glow back! I started the Green Monster 2 months ago and it has made a huge difference in my energy, skin, and many other things.

Thank you for all of the inspiration!

43 Julie @ Shining From Within June 11, 2011

that GM looks so refreshing! Enjoy the time with your mama :)

44 Gracie June 11, 2011

I love looking at photos of your kitchen. LOL

I wish at some point, you can do a clothing post because I LOVE seeing all your dresses! They’re adorable.

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

thank you!

46 Melanie @ Trial By Trail June 11, 2011

I love that dress you are wearing in those group shots – where did you get it?

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

Thank you! Its Miss Sixty brand and I got it in 2008.

48 Sherri Lambe June 11, 2011

I love your moms socks. My grandmother is from New Brunswick and she buys me a pair of those fuzzies for Christmas every year!

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

I love themt too…so cute! I need to find out where she got them…they are mini sock/slippers

50 katie June 11, 2011

oh your day sounds so lovely so far! family time is the best and farmers markets are always so enjoyable. That table runner is absolutely gorgeous too, perfect for summer. Have a great day!

51 Moni'sMeals June 11, 2011

What a fun time. I liked how you and Eric slpit the cleaning, it should always be that way!

What great pictures and a nice looking family. :)

52 Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) June 11, 2011

You are glowing in your pictures! :)

I really hope your grandpa gets better! It’s great that he has your and other familymembers’ support.
I also started running 2 days ago, I had my second run today, it’s exciting :)

53 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

congrats on your running! How exciting. You will probably be surprised at how fast you can build endurance!

54 Mercedees @ Cultivating Consciousness June 11, 2011

Looks like such a loving family! And speaking of love, I love your kitchen! Definitely have kitchen envy… :)

55 [email protected] June 11, 2011

Your grandpa is such a cutie and an inspiration Angela! :P I loved this post–filled with so much love! Oh and that first dish presentation is off the chart!!! so pretty!!

56 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 11, 2011

Ahhh I am so glad your family is doing well!! I love lists too :)

p.s. I love my garmin, it is basically my fifth appendage

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

I dont know what Id do without it anymore! Its so cool to be able to look at pace and mile splits.

58 Molly @ RDexposed June 11, 2011

We had parallel mornings! I ran, drank a green smoothie, and cleaned the apt since the parents are coming up! Ah…Saturday mornings!

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

haha nice work! It is a good feeling to get it checked off the list early in the weekend.

60 Apron Appeal June 11, 2011

Ha ha! I read “growing” stomach instead of “growling” stomach. I just spent the past 15 minutes breezing through the past few months of posts to see if I missed something. I was just about to enter a clarification comment and decided to read the post again. Yep. I read it wrong. What a difference a letter makes. :)

61 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 11, 2011

It must be amazing to spend time with your family again :) Hope you enjoy every minute of it! And cute running outfit ;)

62 Audrey June 11, 2011

You look so gorgeous, Angela! I love your chunky necklace.

Have fun with you family! :)

63 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 11, 2011

Have fun with your Mom!

I love the family pics :)

64 Hayley @ Oat Couture June 11, 2011

Great run! :) All of those meals look delicious but I agree yours wouldn’t fill much of a hole with me either! Some restaurants are so bad at vegetarian / vegan meals. A few friends and I were out one evening and requested something vegetarian. They brought us out 1 half of a baked potato, a small piece of cauliflower some carrots and string beans… with so sauce or seasoning whatsoever! Can you imagine our faces!? :/ I think every restaurant should have at least 1 or 2 options… anyhoo! enjoy the rest of your weekend! :)

65 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

oh yea I can relate to that all too well. It is a shame especially because eating out should be such a GREAT experience and a real treat.

66 Hannah June 11, 2011

I love following your blog — you really do glow!! Your face always looks so flawless – what kind of makeup do you use? :)

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

Thanks! I use Bare Mineral powder and MAC cover up concealer (for acne and undereyes)

68 Gina (Yogattude) June 11, 2011

Have a fun weekend with mom! I don’t have any of the Power Y tanks, but I don’t have like 15 racer backs…I just love them! Your green monster looks so refreshing…I think I’ll follow suit this morning!

69 Amy June 11, 2011

OSG MOM is a serious hottie!

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

Oh that will make her day when she reads it :)

71 Chloe (South Beach Girl) June 11, 2011

Good for your Grandfather, I hope that the switch in drugs allows him to fight the leukemia while also staying as healthy as he can. My Grandmother was recently diagnosed with chronic myeloid leukemia and also had a bad reaction to the first drug she was put on, but now that they’ve switched them she is also feeling much better.
The dinner looks amazing! Such delicious looking healthy food :)

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

Thanks Chloe…I hope your Grandmother continues to feel better!

73 Bronwyn June 11, 2011

Love that you call your grandmother “grammy” definitely what I used to call mine. :)

74 Ashley June 11, 2011

So glad your mom is in town!! Have fun today. :) Your grandpa sounds like quite the fighter!!

75 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 11, 2011

cute table runner! I hate trying to take pics of yourself, especially in a mirror. I never know where to look!

76 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life June 11, 2011

I look pretty much exactly like you when I wake up: confused! LOVE that table runner. I think I need to get to the nearest C&B outlet stat!

77 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

hehe yes confused is a great way to describe it!

78 The Teenage Taste June 11, 2011

Aw, you and your Mom look so alike! Glad you are enjoying each others company! Have a great time!

Also, you are super fast! I cannot believe you never ran a 5K before! 25:12 is my current PR and you already almost beat it. You. Are. Awesome!

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

aww thank ya!

80 Amber K June 11, 2011

I dream of a day when restaurants are more veg-friendly and more allergen-free friendly. I basically just don’t eat out because I hate wasting money on food when I end up having to eat again right away.

81 Abby June 11, 2011

Great run lady! I love that table runner! Very cute!

82 Felicia (Natural + Balanced) June 11, 2011

i love the power Y tank! i have it in blue and purple. after doing my first half marathon, i realized that i definitely love short and fast runs! with the higher intensity i saw dramatic changes in my body too (for the better!) i felt like i was getting runners puff with the high milage- my body definitely prefers quick and intense over longer runs! not saying i would never train for one again, but i love short distances better. have a great weekend :)

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

Im the same way! I love the fast pace of the short runs. I used to run short distance races in school and Ive always missed it!

84 mariah (pictures pups and pies) June 11, 2011

At least your veggies looked beautiful… perfect for photographing. You are smart to pack back-up food! I need to think of that more often. Have a great weekend!

85 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing June 11, 2011

How lovely! Hope you have a great time with your Mom :)

86 Sara June 11, 2011

Thanks for the workout clothes suggestion. I’m in desperate need of some new exercise clothes and must go shopping today!