Chilled Double Chocolate Torte: The No-Bake Version

I’m often asked what my favourite vegan dessert is, the dessert that is a dazzler, crowd pleaser, and would fool even the toughest vegan dessert skeptic.

I don’t know about you, but double chocolate pretty much always wins in my books, so my Chilled Double Chocolate Torte is at the top of the list. It’s also Eric’s favourite dessert.

IMG_4993-3

I made this torte back in December, after visiting The Coup and being unsatisfied with the texture and taste of their tofu-based chocolate torte. If you haven’t figured it out by now, I’m not a big fan of tofu. Instead, I used avocado to create a creamy mousse on top of a wholesome chocolaty spelt crust. And don’t worry, you can’t taste the avocado at all. I’ve served this to many skeptics and no one can believe the ingredient list!

I’ve always secretly called this the PMS torte because Eric likes to mention it whenever I start feeling moody and hormonal. And he’s still alive. Now if I could just get him to make it for me, then I’d be set!

IMG_4983-2

PMS aside, it’s chilled in the freezer so it makes a great warm weather dessert.  The avocado mousse remains firm in the freezer, but not frozen solid, making this a great treat to pop out of the freezer whenever the craving strikes…which is pretty much the entire time it’s calling your name from the freezer.

Earlier this week when I saw Jenna make it, I realized there was just one thing missing: this recipe still requires that you turn on the oven! I pictured that California girl sweating over a piping hot stove and guilt set in. Turning the oven on during hot weather sometimes feels like turning on a space heater at your desk because your office cranks the A/C too much. It just doesn’t make sense. But I’ll save Eric’s office plights for another time. :)

IMG_6966

Given our warm weather this week, I decided to make a nutty no-bake crust to really bring this torte into full Summer mode. No oven required.

And let’s be real, I really don’t want an oven getting in the way of my chocolate fix. It’s time to cut out the middle man.

IMG_6957

Chilled Double Chocolate Torte: The No-Bake Version

Crust from Healthy Hoggin. Chocolate avocado mousse from my Chilled Double Chocolate Torte.

print this recipe!

No Bake Chocolate Crust:

• 2 cups pecans
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil (other light taste oil may work)
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt

Chocolate Avocado Mousse:

• 2 cups avocado flesh (approx 3 small avocados), pitted and scooped out
  • 1/3 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
  • 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp smooth peanut butter (or other nut or sunflower seed butter)
  • 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup + 2 tbsp chocolate chips, melted
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted if clumpy

Directions:

1. Crust: Oil a 7-10 inch springform pan and line it with a circle of parchment paper. In a food processor, pulse the pecans until crumbly. Be careful not to over process them as you still want them a bit chunky. Now add in the rest of the crust ingredients and pulse until just mixed. Scoop mixture onto prepared pan and press down firmly and evenly with slightly wet fingers or a spatula. Pop into freezer to set while making the mousse.

2. Chocolate mousse: Place all mousse ingredients (except chocolate chips) into food processor. Process until smooth. In a small bowl, melt your chocolate chips in the microwave and scoop melted chocolate into food processor mixture. Process until smooth.

3. Remove crust from freezer and scoop this mousse on top of crust. Smooth out as much as possible and then place in the freezer for 2 hours to firm.

4. Once firm, remove from freezer and allow to sit on the counter for about 5-10 minutes before serving chilled. Place leftover torte in the freezer wrapped and placed in a seal container.

Note that this torte should be served chilled as it gets soft at room temperature.

Thanks to Healthy Hoggin’s chocolate crust this worked out beautifully. No flops, no trial #2, 3, or 4. Just perfection.

IMG_6961-3

The chocolate pecan crust adds an irresistible nutty and slightly salty flavour which is a perfect contrast to the rich chocolaty mousse. The crust is quite thin when made in a 10-inch pan, so next time I might make this in a 7 or 8 inch cake pan for more height.

It might also be fun to make this in a muffin tin (with muffin liners) for single servings treats! Or in a square pan and cut into bite-sized squares. It probably goes without saying, but when you make individual servings you get to eat one without your guests being the wiser. It’s a bit more difficult to hide the fact that you already enjoyed a slice of the pie before they came over. Or two. Not that I’m speaking from experience or anything…

IMG_6961-2

Have yourself a sweet Friday!

1 Kris June 3, 2011

Auntie Ange,

Can you please make this for us when we visit??? :)

xoxo

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 3, 2011

you read my mind!

3 Meredith June 3, 2011

This looks amazing! I’ve been meaning to try this recipe, and this no bake version is even better for the summer!

4 Amelia June 3, 2011

I’m all over this ‘no bake’ version. It makes this dessert even easier for the summer! I made it at Christmas and everyone RAVED and could not believe it was vegan. Whole Foods has organic raspberries on sale right now that would be divine on top of this.

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 3, 2011

Berries would be amazing! I was wondering how it would turn out if I processed some into the mousse too. Glad you all enjoyed it :)

6 Amelia June 3, 2011

I think processed berries would make a great addition to the mousse! I would probably puree the berries, cook and reduce liquid (then strain), return liquid to pan (add arrowroot or cornstarch to thicken if needed), then cool before folding into the mousse. Otherwise, I would think the added juice would liquify the mousse too much and the seeds would take away from the silky texture. This dessert could get really involved!

7 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 3, 2011

Yum! I love raw treats, and this looks just amazing (and gluten free!) I bet you could use single serving tart pans too.
I started making your chocolate mousse as a chocolaty snack in the evening. Delicious!
I’m with you on the PMS issue – Kevin will buy me a bar of dark chocolate once a month around the same time when he notices I’m getting moody. Works every time.

8 Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 3, 2011

This is SO perfect for the summer when I want a good dessert but don’t want to heat up the apartment.

9 Lizzie June 3, 2011

Gah! My food processor finally had enough this week and broke :(

Any recommendations Angela? On a bit of a budget (not super tight, but also not in a position to go swanning off to William Sonoma! :)).

Then I can taste the goodness of chocolate torte!!

10 Shanna, Like Banana June 3, 2011

That *almost* looks too good to eat…but I’d dig in anyway ;)

11 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 3, 2011

I would love to make this – I just have to resist the urge to make every avocado that enters my kitchen into guacamole!

12 EatLiveRun June 3, 2011

Would you still feel guilty if I told you it was 50 degrees and raining here right now?! ;)

This torte was one of the best desserts I’ve tasted in a long time—everyone LOVED it and it didn’t even last two days in my freezer. I’m definitely going to have to try this new version stat!

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011

Well we are just gong to have to fly you to Canada to get warm! lol ;)
Hope you like the raw version! It’s pretty addicting.

14 Rene June 3, 2011

What would you do if no arrowroot? Chia seeds? or Oat flour? Any ideas?

15 Maria January 22, 2013

Hey Rene,

Not sure if you still need answering, but for cold (raw) dishes I use meal from the St John’s-bread tree (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratonia_siliqua). This tree is also known as the Carob tree but carobe powder is NOT the same as the meal I am referring to – read the part in the Wikipedia article whichi sais ‘Food’. There’s a mention of (and link to) the stuff I use, locust bean gum.

Angela, do you know this product? Do you use it or is it available in Canada (considering it’s native to Europe)?

I have to try this recipe. Soon. People here are more than raving about it, I cannot miss out on it!

16 Lisa Fine June 3, 2011

This looks delicious, and I love seeing vegan desserts that don’t include soy [since I’m allergic to it]. :)

We have lots of hazelnuts in the cupboard that are not getting used up, so I may try this with a hazelnut crust instead of using pecans.

Have a great weekend, Angela!

17 Nate February 14, 2014

I did the same thing (with a few modifications of course)! The hazelnut crust gave it this perfect nutty flavor that I complemented with both orange and chocolate. It turned out to be hands down the best chocolate mousse I’ve ever had, vegan or not.

18 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) June 3, 2011

I cannot believe this has avocado in it! :) delish!

19 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 3, 2011

I LOVE that you made a no-bake version of this. I really want to try it this weekend :)

20 Kamaile June 3, 2011

I’m so making this, thanks for the no-bake recipe, turning on the oven when it’s 100 degrees out (TEXAS!) is out of the question!

21 Lauren June 3, 2011

This looks incredible! This is the kind of dessert that I really go for (I used to be all about chocolate cheeseacke/pie), and the crust looks and sounds so good. I’ve got to make this for my family!

22 ellalinea June 3, 2011

Oh this looks amazing!! Do you have any idea how many calories there are in 1 serving and maybe some more nutritional stats? :))

23 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing June 3, 2011

This looks divine! And I especially love the nut-based crust, since I can’t eat spelt. Woo!

24 Chelsa June 3, 2011

this looks so good and doesn’t require any crazy cooking techniques or tools. I love how your recipes are almost always simple enough for the average girl to whip up. Thank you!

25 Danielle June 3, 2011

No bake? My life is now complete…

26 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 3, 2011

HAH! I’m sure this PMS torte works perfectly :) Thanks for giving us a delicious recipe that’s even easier!

27 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 3, 2011

This looks like the perfect summer treat! I love that you used pecans – they are so under-appreciated. :)

28 tweal June 3, 2011

Avocado is so fabulous in desserts – I often use it in recipes similar to this, chocolate and otherwise. Lime is a nice way to go too, then the colour is already done. I usually add some coconut oil to my raw vegan desserts so they hold up nicely in the fridge, and become a bit more firm and less mousse-y.

I’m really craving some cold chocolate right now!

29 Heather (heathers dish) June 3, 2011

I want to bury my face in this. No other chocolate dessert can compare!

30 jenna June 3, 2011

YUM!!!!!!!!!!

i know how Eric feels :( working in the office cube stinks!

31 Apron Appeal June 3, 2011

so what’s the deal with spelt? Can I use whole wheat and get the same texture/taste results? Or similar? From what I can tell spelt is used because it has different nutritional properties from whole wheat but I was wondering if there was something else to it.

32 EmilyRuth June 3, 2011

Oh I just love all of your recipes! This looks soo delicious and I can’t wait to make it for my family!

33 Julie (A Case of the Runs) June 3, 2011

MmmM!! I’ve been eating more raw lately, so this looks like a great dessert! Can I sub cornstarch for arrowroot powder (sorry if you’ve been asked this before)?

34 Ashley October 24, 2012

Did you ever try this or find another alternative? I’m wondering the same thing… Google tells me cornstarch doesn’t thicken well in no-bake dishes and gives a funny texture when frozen :-/

35 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 3, 2011

AHHH you are my heroooo. Me and Lisa are totes making this!!!

36 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 3, 2011

This looks delicious — Megan has some great recipes at HH!

37 Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey June 3, 2011

I still need to try this! I want to stuff my face in it. :P It sounds like the perfect dessert. I love the new no-bake crust, too.

Haha, I totally know what you mean about not being able to hide the fact that you’ve already eaten it. That’s so hard for me! If I make a cake or pie or something, I want to try it, dangit. :P Sometimes I just dish the dessert out on the counter-top away from the guests, then bring the plates to the table. That way no one will be the wiser. :)

38 jenna June 3, 2011

if you had to choose to eat/make one torte would it be the original or this one?

39 LizAshlee June 3, 2011

Oh my, those pictures look heavenly!! I love that you made a raw version!!

Happy Friday!!!

40 Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker June 3, 2011

Angela. You’re so ruining my Friday. Hahahah. Just kidding, of course, but I want to go home RIGHT NOW and make this. Alas, I’ve got another 5 hours at work. I WILL be making this very soon. And gorgeous photos, as always.

41 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious June 3, 2011

I love this no-bake version. It looks absolutely fabulous!! It would be a perfect dessert to make ahead when having people over for dinner and then just popping it out of the freezer when you’re ready.

42 Carol June 3, 2011

Looks delish! i plan to make it this weekend for my hubby!

43 Beth June 3, 2011

Wow! Definitely printing this out and then looking for some ripe avocados.

44 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen June 3, 2011

This is definitely being made this summer. Looks amazing.

45 kate June 3, 2011

ooh this looks to die for I love raw desserts in the summertime!

46 Evan June 3, 2011

This. Looks. Incredible. I might have to make it for my coworkers and see if they notice it’s vegan. It’s one of those desserts that transcends the label of diet and lifestyle!

What a wonderful, sweet way to begin the weekend. :)

47 Heidi June 3, 2011

I just recently found your blog and I love it! This looks delicious…I can’t wait to make it and that’s odd coming from me since I really dislike avocados…but this just looks too good to pass up!

48 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 3, 2011

Oooh yum, I think I could just eat the crust on its own!! This sounds delicious and sooo creamy. You know that person that sits at their desk with the space heater on because the office cranks the AC? Yep, that’s me, right. this. second. ;)

49 Amber K June 3, 2011

YAY! I love this version, especially because it’s gluten-free and it would be great to take to a party. Love, love, love!

50 Tiffany June 3, 2011

Thanks Angela, now there is drool on my keyboard! That looks amazing! I will have to make it! :)

51 Cait @ Beyond Bananas June 3, 2011

I love anything that is chilled in the s ummer for dessert..and these certainly looks like no exception!

52 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather June 3, 2011

Perfect for a warm day! I could totally see myself making a lazy version of this In muffin liners :)

53 Heather June 3, 2011

*Drool*

I need to hop on the avocado mousse bandwagon asap!

54 Julie @ Shining From Within June 3, 2011

i was looking at making this a few days ago. thanks so much for the raw version yum!

55 Mama Pea June 3, 2011

Auntie Ange,

Can you make this for us when we visit?

Gigi and Lulu

(no actual trip guaranteed…)

56 Gina (Yogattude) June 3, 2011

I think I would eat the entire thing myself, yum!

57 Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) June 3, 2011

Oh my. Oh my. This looks delicious! I hope I can try it this weekend :D

58 Chloe (Skinny on South Beach) June 3, 2011

I saw that Jenna had made this and KNEW it would be perfect for a summer BBQ – it looks awesome & I can’t wait to try it for myself!

59 Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion) June 3, 2011

This looks incredible! I am seriously craving chocolate now.

60 Kim @ vertige de la cuisine June 3, 2011

This looks AMAZING! I’m having a girls’ night tonight, and this is definitely on the menu. I’m also super excited that the no-bake crust is gluten-free. Thanks!

61 Loie June 3, 2011

I make this all the time! I first started it in an experiment with raw recipes about a year ago, and was amazed at how delicious raw cakes are. The great thing about these raw cakes is that: a. You can make them in less than 15 minutes b. they’re so much healthier than traditional desserts and c. you can change the ingredients and make variations all the time. I’ve made the crust with various things (almonds, pecans, walnuts, sunflower seeds, coconuts, dates), topped the mousse with anything from bananas to berries to coconut to cacao nibs, and made the mousse with both avocado, and cashews. I even made a mint chocolate grasshopper version too, where the crust was flavoured with cacoa powder and the mousse was made with cashew cream and spinach (to make it green), and some peppermint extract. My sister told her mother in law the other day “My sister makes amazing desserts out of SPINACH and CASHEWS! No really!”

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011

wow this all sounds crazy good!!!

63 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 3, 2011

I love the looks of this, Angela!

I make raw vegan “chocolate mousse” (avocados, cocoa powder, vanilla, and enough agave to send you into a diabetic coma but it’s raw, vegan and no one guesses what’s in it!)

And i love the recipe for the crust. I love raw crusts…I think they are easy…you just blend nuts and a little agave/maple and/or coconut oil til you get a consistency you can smoosh (official word) into a pan. But I love it when someone figured it out omitting trials and a wild goose chase :)

And for the record, just arrived back in San Diego last night and it’s chilly here! I want to turn on my oven. lol

64 Catherine June 3, 2011

Angela, I baked your chocolate mousse torte a few months ago and loved it, but I think I might love this even more! I made a similar crust to use as the base of a “brownie sundae” recently, and it was awesome. I might have to make this tomorrow for a cookout I’m going to – I think the omnis will enjoy it, too.

Thanks for thinking about no-bake recipes as summer is coming!

65 Catherine June 3, 2011

PS – I also wanted to add that I’m not a big tofu fan either. And I love the fact that I already have all these ingredients at home! Maybe it’s because I’ve been reading your blog so long.. .my kitchen is starting to morph into yours :)

66 Valerie June 3, 2011

Hi!
I just had a question, I’m living in the Netherlands, where the maple syrup is crrrazy expensive and I was just wondering if there is anything you can use instead?
Hope you can help out, ‘ cause this looks yummy :)

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011

Hey Valerie, Im not certain but I do think any liquid sweetener would work, such as agave or honey. :) Goodluck! Let me know if you try it out

68 Valerie June 5, 2011

..Oh i’m definitely trying this, agave is on the grocery list for today!
thanks!

69 Genki June 16, 2011

Hey,

I made a few things over Christmas and substituted either honey or golden syrup for the maple syrup. Seemed to work a treat to me!

70 Cath June 4, 2011

Valerie, for the crust part you can sub dates for the maple syrup, but it should be a 1:1 ratio with the nuts. (Probably not for the mousse part though.)

71 Valerie June 5, 2011

That actually sounds really good, then I’ll use agave for the mousse and dates for the crust.
Can’t wait to try :)

72 Amanda June 3, 2011

This looks beyond incredible. Can’t wait to try it!

73 Shelby June 3, 2011

DELICIOUS!!!!!
eric i think you should make your wonderful wife this sometime :-D

74 thehealthyapron June 3, 2011

I might have to try making that this weekend!

75 Nichole June 3, 2011

OMG. No bake, vegan, gluten & soy free, and it fits my diet. This.is.amazing. GENIUS.

…and with the exception of arrow root, I have all of these ingredients!

I am SO making this over the weekend!

76 Moni'sMeals June 3, 2011

wow. wow. wow. I saw Jenna’s post mention this too.
I hope I am going to make it next week. :)

I will have a sweet Friday, you do the same. :)

77 Laura June 3, 2011

I am loving this recipe, Angela! And laughing at the post as I sit here in my office with the space heater on because the A/C is cranked too high! In fact, a bunch of us were just talking not 5 minutes ago about the incessant air conditioning and the problems associated with that! Ugh.

78 Vanessa @ Loving the Sweet LIfe June 3, 2011

Summer doesn’t get any better than this!!
Just looking at that creamy chocolate goodness calling my name I know this is a jaw dropper, lick my plate clean type of dessert.
Have a sweet weekend!

79 Lauren@LittleYellowKitchen June 3, 2011

This is such a great idea! My dad is on a low/no carb diet right now and is doing sooo well (I’m very proud of his self control) and he loves chocolate. He has been missing out on some good desserts because of it though. This seems like it would be low carb, do you happen to know how many carbs are in it?? I really want to make it for him this weekend since I’ll be visiting them…but only if it fits into his diet :)

80 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011

Hmmm I’m not sure! I wouldn’t think it would be low carb due to the chocolate….I left a comment below to a reader wondering if there was a replacement to the chocolate. You MIGHT be able to leave it out but Im not sure how it would firm/freeze up. I think leaving out the chocolate would reduce the carbs/sugar/fat though. Goodluck!

81 Danielle June 3, 2011

I love chocolate and I’m betting that I would love this too =)

82 Teniesha June 3, 2011

Hi, Angela! I’ve been stalking your blog for ages now (love it, by the way! You are an inspiration!), and I’m finally emerging from the shadows to say hello! I’m currently studying abroad in France where it’s not always convenient to be vegan, as you know (I saw your post about Paris!), and I decided to start a blog about my experience here–but I definitely plan on continuing upon returning home.
Thanks so being such an inspiration–I’m going to add your blog to my blogroll, if you don’t mind! :)

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011

Thank you Teniesha! Your blog sounds awesome, will def. check it out :) Goodluck!

84 Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas June 3, 2011

holy crap. this looks AMAZEBALLS. i’m going to a BBQ tomorrow and I think I will just have to make this… saving a few slices for myself of course ;-)

85 Lee @ in the pink of condition June 3, 2011

absolutely heavenly! you are a baking wizard :) <3

86 kris (everyday oats) June 3, 2011

Yay, I’m so excited you made a no bake version! I’ve been drooling over this torte for a while now and this is SO perfect to make as a sweet treat in this summer heat.

87 Tori (Fresh Fruition) June 3, 2011

Oh my goodness that looks amazing. Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate! You can’t go wrong :D

88 Abby White@Eat, Drink and Be Aware June 3, 2011

Oh my that looks amazing! I made this torte once before and have been craving it ever since. Now you gave me excuse to make it again! Thank you.

89 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans June 3, 2011

Wow!! I want that right now!

90 Melissa @ Vegan CacaoBee June 3, 2011

I can’t wait to try this! It looks absolutely amazing!

91 Stacy of KSW June 3, 2011

Oh my word! I found your site just the other day and I swear every time I come back it gets better and better. I just got home from picking up all the ingredients to make the cherry soft serve oatmeal thangamajig … havent been able to get it out of my head … and now it looks like I’m 2 avocados shy from heaven … alas, another trip to the store. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful recipes and a bit of yourself. I’m really enjoying your site so far

92 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011

Thank you Stacy! I can relate to your frequent grocery trips…heh

93 VeggieGirl June 3, 2011

every time I see a photo of that torte I almost die with longing and want to put a fork to my screen =) Thanks for making a no bake version, I will have to try make it now- I loathe using the oven in Florida during the summer time!!

94 Ellie@fitforthesoul June 3, 2011

Mmmm what a decadent yet healthy recipe! I’ve been loving no-bake sweets lately–your date bars in particular!

95 Pure2raw twins June 3, 2011

YUM! Love no baked desserts, and more chocolate the better.

96 Casi Leigh June 3, 2011

Just whipped up a version of this today! I used almonds for the crust and swapped raw coconut flour for the arrowroot. It. ROCKED. THANKYOU. :)

97 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 3, 2011

This torte looks amazing! and it’s gluten free!! Can’t wait to try it out!

98 char @ char on a mission June 3, 2011

Avocado in a chocolatey dessert sounds divine! I’m totally gonna have to try this to convince myself it’s real!

99 Beth (Well I'll Be) June 3, 2011

I had my space heater on just this morning! Cutting out the middle man is always a good idea!

100 Cara Brook June 3, 2011

FINALLY a replacement “pms cake”! In my family we have a cake recipe dubbed by all the women as “pms cake”. Since cutting out 90% of dairy, pms has just not been the same…until now :) many thanks, I can now make this deliciousness! Adding to my recipe folder right.now.

101 kaila @ healthy helper! June 3, 2011

The crust is like a chocolate larabar!!! Love it!!! Can’t wait to make this for my next family BBQ!

102 McKella June 3, 2011

Yes! I’ve been looking for a decadent, dairy-free dessert to make for my birthday to share with my family, and I think I just found it. And I’m with you on the tofu thing. I like tofu, but not when it’s pretending to be something else. Tofu and desserts DO NOT go together.

103 Jessica@ Fruit and Veggie Tales June 3, 2011

Not only did you make this version oven-free…..you also made it gluten free! Hooray! I am so excited to try this, and I just happen to have all of those ingredients on hand! Thank goodness the husband loves chocolate as much as me….and I think raspberries are on sale this week. I may have to add some! :-)

104 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011

yay!

105 crista June 3, 2011

that looks absolutely delicious!! I’m always on the lookout for the best way to satisfy my sweet tooth and this looks perfect. Might have to try it out to bring to a gathering soon! Thanks!

106 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 3, 2011

I’m definitely going to be making this soon! The problem is making sure I have all the avocados at the right ripeness! I hate it when I let them get overripe and then they taste awful! :P

107 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 3, 2011

This looks incredible – I think I’m going to make it for my next family party!

108 Kristy H June 3, 2011

Wow this looks amazing, i want it for breakfast, lunch and dinner! cant wait to make it.

109 Molly @ RDexposed June 3, 2011

Avoacado? I like it! This needs to go on my long list of recipes that I want to try!

110 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 3, 2011

That looks beauuuuutiful! Oh my, I think I need to make this asap. Although my hubby doesn’t like chocolate(weirdo, right?) so I might half the recipe. And the individual ones in a muffin tin is an awesome idea :D

111 Lou June 3, 2011

amazing! thanks!

112 Jenny$1983 June 3, 2011

Oh wow … this is something else! I made the original for Mother’s Day, and she could not stop eating it! This is a woman who can buy something because she fancies it then leave it sitting in the cupboard for months: she is not at all greedy and she has the best in-built self-limiting eating style I’ve ever seen (I wish I’d inherited it :( …), but she ate about half of it herself! Also, my dad and brother ate some and had no idea what was in it, and I think my brother thought it tasted so good that I must have bought it :D

I cannot wait to make this version … and there was me, thinking that perfection couldn’t be improved upon; I should’ve known better :)

113 Ashley June 4, 2011

You’ve done it again!!! Looks incredible. Not having to turn the oven on is a major plus! Love the fork shot. I have made chocolate cake with avocado and chocolate avocado pudding. Both are delicious, so I can tell this recipe is amazing!

114 Rae June 4, 2011

Made this tonight for my family and they LOVED it. My husband hates avacado so I waited to tell him until he finished his THIRD piece. He couldn’t believe it! :) ONE THING: What could we do to replace the chocolate chips? Would like a less processed option. Any ideas?

115 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011

Thats great!
I haven’t made it without the chocolate chips, but like you I have thought about it.
If you taste the mousse before adding the melted chocolate, it tastes awesome!
I’ve often wondered if I could leave out the chips all together for a lighter pie…I wonder if it would freeze up the same?

116 Rae June 9, 2011

I was thinking the same thing! The mousse was marvelously chocolatey and a wonderful texture before adding the chocolate chips. Next time I will leave them out and maybe increase the cocoa a little bit. I will let you know how it turns out… unless you beat me to it, then you can let ME know how it turns out! :)

117 Cait's a Runnerchick June 4, 2011

i think i’d eat the crust all by itself! but of course i wouldn’t turn down the rest! thanks for sharing and that looks soooo delicious! no-bake is perfect this time of year. i also agree that raspberries would make a superb addition, so tasty!

118 megan @ the oatmeal diaries June 4, 2011

This. Looks. Amazing. !!!

119 Tamara Lea June 4, 2011

That looks amazing! Its cold and rainy in the SF bay area this week and it makes me want to make comfort food so this is perfect!!

You should seriously consider posting this and your other gluten free recipes on glutenfreefeed dot com. Its a life saver for people with health issues related to gluten and you seem to have a lot of gluten free recipes that would be perfect for that site.

Happy Saturday!

120 Paulina (One Smile Ahead) June 4, 2011

This looks amazing! No bake crust is the best idea ever. I’m afraid I’ll start breaking pieces off of it and having just “a bite or two” before I get to serve it :D I was just wondering since I’m a huge vanilla girl, is there anyway to make a vanilla version of this?

121 Marilou Garon June 4, 2011

I have to comment on this one! I made a half recipe tonight, put it into a 5 inch springform pan. It was just my 4-year old and I, because I admit, I was a bit afraid… I tried previous “avocado chocolate pudding” recipes that I really didn’t like. This tart, however, benefits from the freezing part. I think it really cuts the avocado flavor, and you end up with a rich, chocolaty, velevty mousse. In short, it’s A-MA-ZING. The crust is perfect, just as Angela wrote. Honestly, I just can’t wait t have friends over so that I can make this recipe! I can’t thank you enough for this recipe. MERCI!

122 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011

Aww thank you! :)

123 Hollie June 5, 2011

This looks wonderful! What brand of chocolate chips do you use?

124 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 5, 2011

they are from my bulk supplier- ONFC organic dark chcolate chips

125 Susan June 5, 2011

Bahaha, my family always teases me for bringing over pans of squares or cake with pieces missing. Hey… you gotta test the goods before you serve it!

126 Dawn June 5, 2011

This is chilling in my freezer as we speak. Only 1h50m until I can pull er out and sample it! But I made sure to wipe the food processor clean.. I love the filling!

127 Marta June 6, 2011

Angela! I made the no bake version for my family this weekend and it was ah-mazing. so decadent. so delicious!! thanks :)

128 Beth June 7, 2011

I made this on Sunday night but we didn’t try it until last night. OMG! Amazing! Definitely making this again.

129 EmilyRuth June 10, 2011

I made this for my mom’s birthday this week. It was the first vegan dessert I have ever made for my family. They were all shocked to hear that there was avocado in their dessert but they all LOVED it nonetheless! Thanks for another AWESOME recipe!!

130 Karen Beth June 10, 2011

I have this in the freezer as I type. YUMM!

131 jenika June 12, 2011

This was delicious and totally lived up to your praise. In addition to being gluten-free and dairy-free, it should also be labelled guilt-free. Love. Thanks for sharing!

132 Jenna June 13, 2011

Hi Angela!

I’m literally drooling over this recipe, but I’m so sad that I can’t make it exactly the same because I’m allergic to pecans! Do you think another nut could sub well? I also can’t have walnuts, pistachios, or cashews unfortunately. :(

133 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011

hmm im not sure but maybe almonds?

134 skinny latte June 14, 2011

Ange, I have to comment on this recipe because I made it on Sunday and it is to die for – but I made one addition, which was a bit of grated orange zest. It happened entirely by accident because I was roasting a pan of rhubarb at the same time and adding orange zest to that, and somehow some of it got on my spoon I was tasting the chocolate topping with. It was incredible! If you like the combination of chocolate and orange, then I recommend adding some next time and see how you like it! I will definitely add it next time I make it – there WILL be a next time! Thanks for developing such a fantastic recipe, it’s a keeper! xx

135 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 15, 2011

wow that sounds great, thanks!

136 Jamie June 15, 2011

Just made this on Sunday and OH MY GOODNESS (!!!!!!!) it’s a keeper! The texture is perfect. My family was skeptical that it would taste like veggies (oh, the horror!) yet they all attacked this dessert like the end of the world is coming. I literally got out of bed at 2am to sneak some from the fridge. No shame ;)

137 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 15, 2011

haha nice! Glad you all liked it!

138 kyleen June 15, 2011

I love, love, LOVE chocolate and anything creamy. I love that there are avocados instead of cream in this recipe. I can’t wait to give this a try!

139 Alexis June 17, 2011

Love it! Adding this one to the book. I like that you used the maple syrup instead of sugar. Maple syrup is the best… especially if it’s Canadian.

140 April June 20, 2011

This is amazing! I substituted the maple syrup with honey (that is all I had on hand) and it turned out fantastic! Even my husband loved it :) And he is a total skeptic when it comes to anything vegan. I loved this and can’t wait to share this recipe with my girlfriends :) Thank you!

141 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 26, 2011

Thanks for letting me know, Im glad it worked for you!

142 Hannah June 23, 2011

I made this for a dinner party that required a gluten free and vegan dessert last night, and it was a huge hit! The baked crust is good, but the no bake crust is AMAZING!! I heard my husband go to the kitchen for another slice at 3am. Always a good sign.

143 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 26, 2011

agree we loved the no bake version the best too!

144 KT June 26, 2011

Hi there,

I stumbled across your website through a friend’s blog & had to try this recipe.
I am not vegan but often cook for people with intolerances, my husband is lactose intolerant (and a huge fan of chocolate mousse!) and my mother in law is gluten and lactose intolerant and its really hard to find gluten free, dairy free desserts that actually taste delicious.
This is one of the tastiest desserts I have ever made, and hubby and his grandmother (who were my guinea pigs) were given the torte and not told the ingredients until afterwards, it was a huge hit.

I replaced the pecan’s with Almonds as Pecans are rather expensive here in New Zealand and it was delicious – I can’t wait to try more of recipes – especially as there seems to be quite a few choc and peanut butter ones :)

145 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 26, 2011

Im glad to hear that everyone enjoyed it!

146 Casey June 27, 2011

Hi Angela! I’m getting ready to make this, but have no arrowroot on hand. I only have flour and cornstarch–would either of those work? Or oats maybe?

Thank you!!!

147 Courtney July 1, 2011

You might also try cream of tartar… I just used it in this recipe and the mousse came out very light and fluffy.

148 Tiffany June 28, 2011

Hey angela,
First of all- I LOVE THIS RECIPE! Secondly, I am going to be setting up a blog within the next month and would love to post this recipe-I will give you all credit and link back to your blog. I just wanted to let you know and make sure you were cool with it :) Thanks again for all the great recipes!!

149 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2011

sure np!

150 Krissy July 1, 2011

I’m doing weight watchers and would really like the nutrition content so I can convert it into my points value. Would you be able to send it to me please??

151 Courtney July 1, 2011

Just made this for my grandma’s 82nd birthday. I subbed the avocado for tofu ( decided to make this last minute and couldn’t find ripe avocados), pecans for almonds, and maple syrup for agave. Everyone LOVED it. Thank you for this amazing recipe!

152 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2011

Glad to hear this Courtney!

153 sweetberry May 9, 2012

This is gluten free and vegan! It would be nice if you had mention it in the title because I have skipped this so many times whenever I go through your recipe list. Your website is awesome. I love it. Keep up the good work!

154 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2012

Thanks for the tip, I will try to note these things more apparently!

155 Samantha May 15, 2012

Hi there,
I am going to make this recipe and am wondering if it’s best to make it the day of an event (tomorrow) or make it tonight and put it in the freezer… Also I plan to substitute coconut oil for grapeseed oil, would that work well?

156 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 16, 2012

the coconut oil helps harden things, so im really not sure!

157 Samantha May 16, 2012

I just made it and the crust was nice and hard before and after the freezer. Thanks for your reply and great recipe. :)

158 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 16, 2012

thats great!

159 ianna June 17, 2012

I just made this the other day and ooooooh lordy! It is DELICIOUS!!!! I left out the peanut butter and arrowroot and it set perfectly. I keep it in the freezer, and when I’m craving a piece I slice it up and eat it right away, it’s kind of like an ice cream pie. I love the saltiness of the crust and the creaminess of the topping, it’s my new favourite treat. THANK YOU!!!

160 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2012

Thanks for letting me know, Im happy to hear that!

161 Winnie June 17, 2012

We are making this now and the mousse is so amazing. My fiancé is licking the bowl and he HATES avocado! Now we have a large bag of arrowroot powder. Do you have any other recipes including this ingredient?
Thanks for the chocolate torte recipe!

162 Miss McBooty June 19, 2012

Wow, so many comments…

Question for you: Do you have a recommendation as to what type of chocolate chips to use? Thanks!

163 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 20, 2012

I tend to buy organic bulk dark chocolate chips….usually they are quite tasty! Camino brand is also good, but fairly expensive.

164 Miss McBooty June 20, 2012

Perfect, thanks! I plan to make this tomorrow.

165 Lani June 30, 2012

This sounds delicious! I want to make this for our 4th of July BBQ. Do you think I could substitute Agave for the Maple Syrup in the crust? My Brother & his wife really dislike the flavor of maple.

Thanks!

166 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2012

I cant see why that sub wouldn’t work! Agave is a bit sweeter per tbsp so you might need a touch less of it?

167 Beth J July 18, 2012

You really can’t taste the maple at all…there is SO much chocolate that the maple is covered up.

168 Caitlin July 16, 2012

Ok…. I don’t understand what was different about my torte from everyone else’s, other than I used agave syrup instead of maple since we didn’t have maple, and I also am not a big maple fan, but mine tasted overwhelmingly like avocado. It was really, really bad, and no one would eat it. I had to scrape off the top layer and just eat the bottom layer as really thin brownies. I think I will be sticking to tofu from now on since it has no taste of it’s own.

169 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2012

Hey Caitlin, I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy it. Was the torte served cold from the freezer and did you include the melted chocolate? I do find the avocado taste comes out more when it’s not served chilled from the freezer. Also, it’s possible that the flavours are different when using another sweetener. I find maple syrup really helps mask other flavours in the dish.

170 Beth J July 18, 2012

I made this for a friend’s birthday this week…I got rave reviews. Thanks for the great recipe! I am not a vegetarian or vegan, but the birthday girl was and she loved it! Very important note…make sure avocados are plenty ripe! One of mine was still a bit firm and I had to pick out the chunks that didn’t get blended up enough…but hey…you can’t go wrong with chocolate covered anything in my book! :)

171 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2012

I’m glad you enjoyed it Beth! Great tip about using ripe avocados :)

172 Grace Booth August 11, 2012

I just made this for my 11 year old brother who has been battling cystic fibrosis and lymphoma. It’s been the first thing that has brought a smile to his face and has made him want to eat again! THANK YOU.

173 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 12, 2012

Aw im so happy to hear he enjoyed it Grace. Wishing him lots of strength & recovery.

174 Radhika Sarohia August 14, 2012

I made this and it turned out great! Unfortunatelt I dropped it as I was trying to take it out of the freezer so my family and I didn’t get to have very much of it, but I still have a few more avocados so I’m going to make it again.
Thanks so much for the recipe

175 Radhika Sarohia September 3, 2012

Making this awesome dessert recipe for like the eighth time today, I have restrain myself from licking the mousse batter off the blender blades and cup, it’s obscene hahaha [no self-control whatsoever]
In the freezer now, trying to be patient and wait for it to freeze properly, challenging task to wait till it’s actually ready:D

176 Chris Gist September 4, 2012

I made two of them this weekend. One to try and the second to take to a gathering of friends. I started with putting the nuts through a Chopper and I did not need a blender to mix the crust, I just used a mixing spoon. On the second I used both almonds in the crust and almond butter in the mouse. I did make the first on in a 6 inch pan and the second in a 8 inch pan to serve more people. I think it is going to be a Wow. I recently went vegan and have enjoyed trolling your site. There are so many things I want to try. Thank you for sharing.
Chris

177 Kathy September 15, 2012

I made this dessert last night and can’t believe how incredibly rich and delicious it is. I even used some avocados that were at the end of their usefulness and it is still wonderful. Also made the lentil loaf which wowed everyone. Our kids are vegetarian and having trouble giving up dairy – but these recipes show you can have delicious dairy-free desserts, main courses, and well, everything. It also got us out of our “new things to do with tofu” rut. Thanks to Angela for her diligence in making each recipe the very best it can be. Being someone who is very attune to the texture, taste and looks of food, I feel so fortunate to be the beneficiary of Angela’s hard work!!

178 Cassi September 20, 2012

I just made this tonight and was leery about how the flavor would turn out being healthy :) But Yes! It is delicious!!! I’m really excited to share it with our guests tomorrow. And…better yet it came out looking beautiful as well!

179 Mia September 30, 2012

Do you think I can use raw cacao powder instead of cocoa powder?
Thank you!!

180 Anna October 15, 2012

Hi there can you use cacao powder instead of cocoa???

181 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 16, 2012

I can’t see why not :) you might have to use less or more, so add to taste

182 Radhika Sarohia October 24, 2012

Making this for like the twentieth time today (hehe) and it’s definitely my favourite vegan dessert recipe so far
For the few people who seem to be able to taste a very slight bit of avocado after freezing, I wanted to mention that adding a tiny bit of dark molasses and a tiny bit of coffee can cover that up marvelously
I’m also always on a diet and I’ve been experimenting leaving out the chocolate chips to cut calories a little bit, and this dessert tastes just fine even without those:D

183 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2012

Great tips, I’ll have to try the coffee….yum!

184 lorena November 4, 2012

I would like to know what type of chocolate chips did you use? it was bittersweet, dark chocolate chip or what?

185 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 4, 2012

I believe I used dark chocolate chips, but im sure anything would be fine!

186 Natacha November 8, 2012

Amazing recipe!! I made it for a party, it made quite an impression (even with my non-vegan friends)!!!
The texture is rich and creamy but doesn’t make you feel heavy (or guilty!!) after, like a version with heavy cream would!

187 Jenn November 20, 2012

This sounds amazing, I’m going to make it for Thanksgiving! I can’t find arrowroot here in Mexico… any alternatives? Thanks!

188 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 21, 2012

Yes cornstarch will work in it’s place. Enjoy!

189 Jenn November 21, 2012

Dear god this torte is incredible. Thank you thank you!!

190 Celine November 23, 2012

I made it and… wow! the no-bake was better than ANY non-vegan dessert! I’m gonna try a carob version next. It’s so easy and so delicious! (I’m only 12 yearrs old)

191 Melissa November 25, 2012

Hi Angela
I absolutely love this torte. I served it at a dinner party and it was very well received! Several of my guests were not vegan (or vegetarian either) and couldn’t believe it was made without dairy or butter. I use your site a lot for inspiration. Thank you!

192 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 26, 2012

Thank you for letting me know Melissa!

193 Joanna Clarke December 4, 2012

So excited to make this … going to try to make it a festive version with candy cane bit is it or on top … and put in coconut instead of pecans – other suggestions for those allergic to nuts? I also am having a horrendous time trying to find a seed butter that doesn’t say may contain nuts/tree nuts … suggestions/recipes?

Thanks, Angela! Your blog is amazing and a life saver!

194 Rachel Cross January 12, 2013

Hi Joanna! Just a suggestion, but maybe you could make your own seed butter? If you can secure some certified nut-free seeds, you could grind them in a food processor (or Vitamix if you’re fortunate enough to have one). I just made this, and I think coconut in the crust instead of pecans would be delicious, maybe even thrown in some sunflower seeds or pepitas too for a little texture. Or even a tablespoon of chia seeds which would help it all stick together. Whatever you try I hope it’s successful!

195 Rachel Cross January 12, 2013

I made this tonight! Lately I’ve been on a raw kick as far as desserts go, and man it’s awesome :) Almost guilt-free!! Of course technically this dessert isn’t completely raw, but close enough for me. Thanks for sharing this recipe, it turned out great and was a big hit at our family’s bonfire get-together. (By the way, I did follow the recipe exactly, no substitutions and it was devine)

196 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2013

I’m so happy to hear that Rachel! Thanks for letting me know :)

197 Suzanne January 13, 2013

Looks amazing..and LOVE that it’s non-dairy. Can you tell me about the arrowroot powder? Never worked with it, and not sure I can get it around here. Is it essential? Is there something I could substitute? Thanks!

198 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2013

You can probably sub cornstarch. goodluck!

199 Melissa January 13, 2013

This was amazing! Everyone loved it at my dinner party- vegans & non vegans alike!

200 Laura January 25, 2013

Hi Angela,
This is the recipe I was talking about…sorry for the confusion! Can I use seeds in place of the pecans to get the same effect for the crust? We have nut allergies so I have to steer clear.
Thanks,
Laura

201 Christine January 28, 2013

I’m new to your page and I love it! It’s so full of amazing recipes and it’s just so easy to follow.

I have a question, I was wondering if instead of chocolate chips, you’ve ever tried raw cacao nibs in any of your chocolatey recipes.

Thanks and keep up the awesome work!

Christine

202 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

You can, but I find them very bitter so I don’t use them often. Sometimes I put them in smoothies though!

203 Christine January 29, 2013

Thank you for the reply.

Keep up the awesome job!! :o)

204 Nora February 4, 2013

Hi Angela! We made this for my sister’s bday and it was AMAZING! It tastes like a sour cream fudge cake we get from Georgia (US). My uncle couldn’t believe it was both vegan and raw. This recipe just shows how delicious plant-based foods are, although I know this isn’t exactly a health food, but healthier than all the tortes I’ve come across.

205 Emily Nolan February 7, 2013

This looks amazing!!!

206 Vegas Vegan February 9, 2013

My workplace is having a baked goods contest for all employees next week. Last year I took 3rd place. Some professional looking non-vegan cake won. I am bound and determined to win this year!My local store had a close-out on mini pe-baked phyllo shells (vegan!). Bought about 50 of them. I am planning on using the phyllo shells instead of the crust and fill each one with the chocolate mixture, Then make some coconut whipped cream and put that on top.

207 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2013

Goodluck! I hope you win :)

208 Isabelle February 10, 2013

I made this today and I added MINT extract in the mousse layer instead of Vanilla. This was the best decision ever, as it made this taste like chocolate-mint mouse cake! This is one of the most delicious & nutritious dessert I have EVER made! So, soooo good :)

209 kendra May 21, 2013

Thanks so much for this recipe! I made it for a co-workers birthday and she and the office loved it :) I can’t wait to try your other recipies!

210 Adi May 24, 2013

Oh. My. Goodness. This looks absolutely amazing. AND it is over 89 degrees (!) here in Jerusalem, AND I’ve been using the oven all day because I finally got a day off to do a serious photo-shoot for my blog… I go online, and BAM, this amazing-looking cake of yours looks like just what I need right now! I will definitely try it out soon :)

I don’t think I’ve ever commented on here before but I just had to tell you – I love your blog, your journey is amazing, and you are so so brave!

211 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 25, 2013

Thank you Adi, I appreciate it so much! :)

212 Anne June 14, 2013

This is the funniest vegan chocolate cake I’ve been making so far – and probably the best one too. I couldn’t stop scraping every bit of chocolate-avocado mousse out of the bowl before cleaning it. Well it was already clean by then ;) We have some Mexican friends and of course they put avocado in everything. So I’m very excited to see their faces tonight after telling them the secret ingredient in the cake. Thank you Andrea for this wonderful recipe!

213 Anne June 14, 2013

Sorry of course I mean Angela! Andrea referred me to your great website ;)

214 Jane June 17, 2013

This looks absolutely delicious. I would love to make it for my boyfriends birthday but I only have raw cacao powder… would that work over cocoa powder or would it change the taste a lot?

215 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013

Hi Jane, I’m sure it would be fine – you might need a bit more sweetener if it’s super strong though? Let me know how it turns out!

216 Joanna Clarke June 24, 2013

This looks AMAZING. Is there a sub I could use for the crust, since I am allergic to nuts?

217 Anita July 17, 2013

Tried this and loved it thank you for sharing such great healthy recipe, I changed few things but was so tasty very impressed! :)

218 Lulu July 26, 2013

This beautiful thing tastes soooooooooooooo good. Thank you.

219 Stephanie September 10, 2013

This is an awesome recipe! Thanks so much!
I’m planning on making it again for a dinner party on Thursday. If I make it the day before, can I just leave it in the freezer uncovered? Or would you wrap it up after it has firmed for 2 hours?

220 Sheila September 10, 2013

Is it okay to use honey in place of maple syrup? Just wondering since that’s what we have.

221 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 11, 2013

Hey Sheila, The flavour will change, but I can’t see a reason why it wouldn’t work. Usually replacing liquid sweeteners for other liquids sweeteners is fine :) Enjoy!

222 Sheila September 10, 2013

Oh and also – I only have tapioca starch and no arrowroot …. is tapioca starch okay to use instead?

223 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2013

Yes that should be fine :)

224 beachmama November 25, 2013

I don’t remember if I’ve commented about this in the past . . . but I have never liked tofu and will not even consider trying a recipe with tofu so this is a BIG hit with me! The ingredients are simple and items I almost always have on hand. Thanks so much for this Angela!

225 YT December 22, 2013

I’ve made this incredibly smooth and pleasing torte 3 times in the last 10 days and every time people have been begging me for the recipe. Safe to say it was a success so thanks for making me the most popular friend/collegue/family member. No need to spread the word because you’re already quite well known here in the Netherlands. If you could just incorporate the metric system in your recipes and your book will be a slamdunk success across the pond (already pre-ordered via a local Dutch online seller).

226 Ava January 3, 2014

I just made this and did not expect it to taste as good as it does. We are enjoying it with a nice glass of almond milk and will add berries with our next slice. It was not difficult to make at all and took such little time. I am simply amazed! Thank you so much for this awesome recipe.

227 Kassidy February 8, 2014

I remember the first time I tried using avocado to make chocolate pudding – I think it all started because I had been adding half an avocado to my morning smoothie, as well as ground raw cacao, and I thought “Gosh, this tastes just like mousse… OMG I’m going to make chocolate mousse with avocado!”

Yup. Greatest combo EVER. (Well, maybe not EVER – but it’s pretty amazing!!).

Will be trying this recipe when I get around to gathering the ingredients. Num num num! Thanks for sharing!

228 Bogi February 10, 2014

Hi Angela, I wanted to share my version with you, thanks so much for the inspiration, since I have bumped into your website, I only make healthy (mostly raw vegan) desserts. Thanks for opening my eyes and introduce me through your wonderful pictures and recipes to the vegan world! Cheers, Bogi

simply-yummy.net/raw-vegan-chocolate-miracle/

229 Jennifer Turnbull February 13, 2014

Best chocolate torte in the world! I made it for a very special friend of mine for her birthday and she loved it! I had everyone at the table trying to guess what was inside and nobody knew :)

230 Sara March 9, 2014

Do you think you could use cornstarch intend of arrowroot powder?

231 Sara March 9, 2014

*instead

232 Hilda March 11, 2014

Wow, this looks so good! I am definitely making this. I am not vegan but I have enjoyed a lot of raw vegan desserts. I have been looking for a good recipe like this!

233 Amanda N. April 7, 2014

This is filed as having a nut-free option. How do you make the crust without the pecans? Sunflower seeds? Unless I’m missing something, I see no nut-free alternative noted in your recipe…

234 Bridie April 13, 2014

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS RECIPE! It is amazing!! I made it yesterday and the family have almost all demolished it. Its so great to be able to eat it feeling guilt free. For the base I used a cup of dates instead of the maple syrup and it worked wonderfully. I just have to convince my boyfriend (who hates avocado) that he really does want to try some… and if not…all the more for me ;)

235 Michelle April 15, 2014

Oh man, I finally made this yesterday (it’s been on my hit list for awhile) and it is absolutely decadent! (dangerously so) I made a few changes to the recipe, such as using dates in place of maple syrup, but it turned out beautifully. You’re really something Angela, thank you again for such a delicious treat! Every recipe of yours that I try is always fantastic, I should really pick up your cookbook soon. Keep up the good work!

236 Nida June 2, 2014

Oh my! This was absolutely delicious! Everyone at the party loved it! I had the last piece for breakfast the day after! :-)

237 Angel June 11, 2014

This cake was liked by almost everyone who tried it, except by those who dislike “heavy” chocolate flavors.

If possible, I would love to see a vanilla version of this cake. But, please no ingredients that are too exotic. I love how simple it was to make this chocolate cake but I have noticed that cakes tend to have more complicated ingredients when they are vanilla cakes. I would really love to stick to this cake recipe but make it a vanilla cake instead of chocolate, so I can satisfy a different crowd.

Please let me know if you decide to post a recipe for the vanilla version of this cake.

I’m thinking that a cherry flavored version might also turn out good but the problem with cherries is that they aren’t available all-year-round, unless you want to buy canned.

Thank you for the great recipes and I hope to see more of them!

238 roshni June 12, 2014

Hi Angela great recipe i was just wondering if it can be frozen or would that just be really weird !? i need to transport it long distance and not sure how it will hold up, how many days do u think it can last in the fridge?

239 Amy June 17, 2014

This looks AMAZING! I’ve been a BIG fan of your blog for a long, long time now. Every recipe you post looks so delicious. I recommend your cookbook on my website/blog and posted links to your blog from my FB business page too. :) I just might have to link to this recipe too. YUM! As soon as the ice box cake in my freezer is gone I’ll try this recipe out – if I make it now I’ll just be making way too many trips to the kitchen :O

240 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 20, 2014

Thank you Amy! So happy you are enjoying the blog :)

241 Orgeluse July 12, 2014

My husband doesn’t like the taste of maple syrup. Can I substitue the maple syrup with e.g. Agave nectar? If so, how much of agave nectar substitutes the maple syrup?
Thanks!

242 Judith July 17, 2014

Made this a few weeks ago for dinner guests – hands down the BEST no bake vegan chocolate dessert I have ever made!
Tonight I doubled the crust recipe, put it into a rectangular pan, in the freezer for an hour, and then cut into bars. Simple and delicious treat for my family!
Thank you Angela for your incredible site and all the great vegan recipes.

243 Dawn September 25, 2014

Hi Angela,

I was super excited to make this for my two daughters (14 & 11) and hubby. My 11 year old is on board when it comes to healthy eating. The 14 yr old, on the other hand, is not!!! Hubby is not great either…Anyhow, I made the no-bake version and unfortunately everyone could taste the avocado and the crust was a little too salty. All that work and time and no one really loved it…boo hoo…

244 Peta October 26, 2014

Hi there!
Looks like a gorgeous torte. I’ve been trawling websites looking for a raw vegan chocolate torte, that doesn’t use pecans, cashews or almonds in the base. I’m allergic to ALL nuts except for peanuts (weird, I know). Would you think its possible to use unsalted peanuts for the base, or are they too oily?
Many thanks!
Peta

245 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2014

Hey Peta,

I might have a great no bake crust for you if you aren’t allergic to coconut, that is. I just made this the other day and it’s great. Might work in this pie in lieu of the pecan crust?

1 cup packed pitted Medjool dates
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 tbsp ground flax
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
Add the dates into a food processor and process until a ball forms. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until a dough comes together. It should stick between your fingers when pressed.

Let me know if you try it out!

246 Peta October 30, 2014

Hi there!
Thanks for this, I will try it out tomorrow.
Can I just press that out to form a ‘raw’ base, i.e. it doesn’t need to be cooked?
Peta

247 Peta October 30, 2014

So sorry – the clue is in the title?! NO BAKE crust, ha ha ;)

248 Kim November 26, 2014

Is it possible to make this without a food processor if you don’t have one? :(

249 Sandra November 26, 2014

Angela, thank you for posting this recipe. It’s magnificent and rich in flavor. I have made it many times and my friends and family love it. This one is definitely one of my favorites!

I really hope that in the future you post recipes for Vanilla Cake and Cheesecake. I searched this website and couldn’t find any. I have found many recipes in other websites but your website is my favorite one to look for recipes. All of the recipes I have tried from here have been both delicious and healthy. If you do post any recipes for these desserts in the future, I would certainly love to try them.

250 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 26, 2014

thank you Sandra! I will keep your suggestions in mind! ive tried vegan vanilla cake before but sadly none of my trials were fluffy enough. will keep at it!

251 Sandra November 27, 2014

I understand what you mean. I have tried many vanilla cake recipes and still haven’t been able to find one that is a crowd favorite. There seems to be something missing in the texture of it even if the flavors are pleasing.

I have one last thing to ask for now. Do you know if there’s a sugar-free alternative to maple syrup and agave nectar? I know that maple syrup and agave nectar are supposed to be healthier than most sweeteners but they still contain sugars. I know people that avoid using them for this reason. It’s easier to substitute powdered sugar because there’s some alternatives such as Stevia and Xylitol. However, maple syrup and agave nectar are liquid sweeteners and I don’t know of any sugar free alternatives for them.

252 Mimi December 4, 2014

I would like to use melted dark chocolate instead of the chocolate chips. Can you tell me how many gramms 1 cup and 2 tbsp of chocolate chips are? that would be a great help. Chocolate chips are hard to get here and they are very expensive.

Thanks
Mimi

253 Amy February 6, 2015

Would this be tasty topped with fresh berries? :D

254 Linda February 11, 2015

Thank you for this recipe. I’ve made it twice now and it is absolutely delicious. So many of the people I cook for including family members, cannot eat traditional desserts. This one is a perfect fit. Love it!!!

255 Bridget February 15, 2015

I made this last night for Valentine’s Day dessert with my husband! It was fantastic! Best chocolate dessert I have ever made!

256 download software February 24, 2015

After looking into a number of the blog articles on your web
page, I truly like your way of writing a blog.
I book-marked it to my bookmark website
list and will be checking back in the near future. Please check out my
website too and let me know how you feel.

257 Software Terbaru March 21, 2015

Thanks , I have recently been searching for information about this topic
for ages and yours is the greatest I have came upon so far.

But, what about the conclusion? Are you certain in regards to the source?

258 Steph April 4, 2015

This is the most AMAZING dessert ever! Truly a little slice of chocolatey heaven. So so easy to make, and the results are astounding. I added grated orange zest for an extra punch of flavour. Made this for a dinner last night, everyone was intrigued by the combination of avocado and cocoa. Everyone was also very very satisfied! Thanks for a new dessert go-to.

259 Heghineh May 19, 2015

Double Chocolate!!!!
This looks fantastic! I have to try making this soon.

260 Drew @ Culturated June 14, 2015

This looks incredible. Eric obviously has good taste.

261 Tracey June 27, 2015

This recipe sounds wonderful. Is it both gluten free and dairy free? I need to prepare a dessert for two food allergies at the same time, and I’m hoping this is it! Thanks!

262 Sarah September 16, 2015

This looks amazing and I’d love to make it! But for those of us with nut allergies, is there a substitute for the pecans in the crust? I see substitutions mentioned for the almond milk and peanut butter, but not the pecans.

263 Sarah September 16, 2015

wait nevermind i just saw your reply to someone else’s question XD

264 Hilary December 28, 2015

I made this for our Christmas dessert and it was absolutely incredible. My husband insisted that he tasted bananas, but I’m thinking it was the avocados. Someone suggested coffee to mask tha avocado flavor, but I’m not sure it could handle a lot of liquid. Perhaps instant espresso powder? Or dissolving one teaspoon of instant espresso powder in a very small amount of water first?

265 dafabet asia March 7, 2016

This is the perfect site for everyone who wants to find out about this topic.
You realize a whole lot its almost tough to argue with you (not that
I actually would want to…HaHa). You definitely put a fresh spin on a subject that has been discussed for decades.
Wonderful stuff, just great!

266 Sophie Crafts July 18, 2016

Hi! This is simply the best. My friend made it for her birthday last summer and just sent me the link to make it for mine. But, is it possible to do it without a food processor? I can probably use a neighbor’s, but figured I’d ask. Thanks!