This Weekend I…

Played in the dirt.

IMG_6446

Admired the beauty of fallen petals.

IMG_6449

Ran 4 miles on Saturday and took my 17th hot yoga class today. I saw a strong woman in the mirror!

Drank a cold Green Monster after my workouts.

IMG_5399

Did 4 loads of laundry and cleaned some house.

IMG_6524

Went to the mall with Jamie and bought a summer dress from Bebe 50% off.

IMG_6509

Used one of the new cookbooks Eric got me for my Birthday- Clean Start and Clean Food by Terry Walters.

IMG_6397

Bought some delicious cherries.

IMG_6409

Made a Cherry Tart (from Clean Start cookbook).

IMG_6427

It fell apart, but we loved it anyways!

IMG_6431

Helped Eric install the deck railing.

IMG_6494

Watched him carry wood as I drank a beer. ;)

IMG_6458

Went to Costco, bought frozen mangoes, gluten-free & dairy-free crackers, peppercorn, and a mat.

IMG_6493

Almost shed a tear when they didn’t have frozen cherries!

IMG_6444

Gave a little support to my (growing!) plants.

IMG_6453

IMG_6455 IMG_6457

Chatted up the spinach.

IMG_6479

Fought the Dandelion battle with the Fiskar.

IMG_6467

Roasted cauliflower and made Mashed Rosemary Cauliflower. I adapted this recipe.

IMG_6369

Decided that mashed cauliflower is overrated. Give me taters, please! Eric also agreed.

I do think it would make a wonderful soup base though. :)

IMG_6368

I stayed off the computer.

Enjoyed two Spring nights outdoors.

IMG_6488

Realized that the mosquitos love my vegan blood a bit too much!

IMG_6433

I’m also wishing my sister Kerrie a very Happy Birthday! Red heart Love you sis!

IMG_6172_thumb

What have you been up to this weekend? Hope it’s been a great one.

1 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) May 29, 2011

“took my 17th hot yoga class today. I saw a strong woman in the mirror!”—

YAY FOR YOU!!!!!! I am sooo happy for you, Angela, awesome!

And I am also happy about your 50% off Bebe find, too :)

Love how you said you adapted the mashed cauli recipe but would just rather have mashed potatoes…haha. I am doing a post (prewritten) about “healthifying” dessert recipes and sometimes it’s just better not to. I do enjoyed mashed cauli, but you’re right, not mashed taters.

And I love the pic of those beers. Very cool, artsy. Diggin that shot b/c of the depth of field and I dunno…it’s just a cool shot.

Glad that you have your priorities straight: watch Eric work while you drink beer. Amen :)

2 Lisa Fine May 29, 2011

Sounds like so much fun, and I love how you’re getting so into hot yoga and gardening.

The garden’s looking great! It’s always fun to compare…but I haven’t sung to my plants yet. They may need it. ;)

3 Kristy May 29, 2011

I LOVE LOVE LOVE those crackers from Costco…. they are delish and I also bought a lot of Cherries this weekend….. mmm I LOVE them soo much!

Have a good Sunday!

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2011

Arent they? I just discovered them…so good! I love the puffed brown rices ones slathered in hummus. I figure I get to use double the amount of hummus right? ;)

5 Maria May 29, 2011

I agree with the cauliflower mash! I tried making it a few times and it doesn’t hold a lit to real potatoes or even better, sweet potato mash.

Oh and did your weekend include more hours in it than mine did? Or did you not sleep? :)

6 Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama May 29, 2011

Loved this post! Looks like you had an amazing weekend so far! <3

7 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 29, 2011

It looks like you are having a great weekend! I am having a terrible time finding frozen cherries too… apparently there’s a cherry shortage?!

8 Holly @ Pink Runner May 29, 2011

Cute dress! Cherry tarte looks good, I might have to give it a try!

9 Charlie May 29, 2011

I love mashed potatoes and when I tried mashed cauliflower I wasn’t impressed either.
That cherry tart looks amazing. Who cares if it falls apart :P.

10 Apron Appeal May 29, 2011

I’ve been eating those thin cakes from Costco a little too much lately and mashed cauliflower may not be as good as potatoes but if you can’t eat potatoes…they are heavenly.

11 lindsay May 29, 2011

you two inspire me. We need to learn from your thriftiness and Eric’s handyman techniques. I say write a book! haha.

12 Mary May 29, 2011

I’ve never known anyone to grow their own spinach…they look so cute!

13 melissa May 29, 2011

I had the same green monster yesterday… nothing beats mango and spinach. delicious!!! :)

14 Ashley May 29, 2011

It’s a three day weekend for us, for Memorial Day. However, while the weekend is usually filled with BBQs,sunshine and swimming, here in Reno, Nevada– it SNOWED! It didn’t stick, but the high for yesterday was 54 degrees, and it was gloomy and wet and cold. And today, the same thing! Spring has gone missing….
But I secretly love this weather;) So I shouldn’t be complaining!

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2011

Wow that is crazy stuff! Reminds me of Alberta when it snowed on my sister’s bday on June 6th…

16 Samantha May 29, 2011

What a fantastic weekend. Though you say they are overrated, that picture really makes me want to try mashed cauliflower. :)

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2011

If you are a big cauliflower fan you could like it! We arent big on it to begin with so I think it was a losing battle ;)

18 Tessa @ Amazing Asset May 29, 2011

I definitely agree with the Cauliflour mash! While it is tasty, there is nothing quite like buttery, smooth, think mashed potatoes :)
Happy Birthday to your sister and have a lovely rest of the weekend!

19 allison May 29, 2011

looks like a fun weekend!!! As food bloggers i think we can get overly concerned about food looking pretty and ignoring the amazingly delicious food that falls apart or looks like crap!

Happy birthday to your sis:)

20 kris (everyday oats) May 29, 2011

What a fun weekend!! I agree that mashed cauliflower is overrated. I’m all for the starch potatoes…especially sweet potatoes :)

21 Molly @ RDexposed May 29, 2011

What beer did you enjoy?

22 cathy May 29, 2011

you are the hot yoga woman, angela! way to go.
this weekend i worked, but also went to the new hamburg mcc relief sale preview to drool over handmade quilts, attended a fun and lovely wedding reception and now am off to celebrate my mom’s birthday – so happy birthday to your sister, too!
enjoy the rest of your weekend!

23 Marci May 29, 2011

sounds like a lovely weekend! i have the first terry walters book and love it! i make her hummus every week. i love how it never says it’s a vegan cookbook and how it breaks up meals by season and not meal.

24 Jen G. May 29, 2011

I was just telling my mom this weekend — apparently mosquitoes don’t like the smell of vanilla, so some vanilla extract on pulse points will help ward the suckers off! (And keep you smelling lovely :-) )

25 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen May 29, 2011

I too fought the dandelion battle this weekend. They are taking over!
I also can’t find frozen cherries anywhere after running out and I’m really craving a chocolate cherry bomb smoothie :(
Looks like a great weekend!

26 Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) May 29, 2011

How do you like the cookbooks? They seem interesting! And that pie looks good (even fallen apart)
I’m glad hot yoga is working out so good for you!
It looks like a very nice weekend. Btw, we have the same gardening gloves :D

27 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods May 29, 2011

Love the look of that cherry tart! Sounds like a fun weekend! :)

28 Baking 'n' Books May 29, 2011

“Stayed off the computer” = amen.

These past few weeks and the next are going to be stressful. (Have been). I’m just trying to keep my head on somewhere – I want your weekend! ;)

Is Costco worth joining?? Maybe I should consider it…

What do you eat crackers with?

29 Katherine May 29, 2011

What is the mango thing in the background wit the blender?

30 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes May 29, 2011

It sounds like you had an amazing weekend. I just worked, went for an 8 mile run and relaxed, which is just what I needed.

31 Meri May 29, 2011

haha- “watched him carry wood as I drank a beer”- sounds about right to me! I love making cauliflower mashes, especially with sweet curry spices. Ever tried that? Deeelish. I have a sweet curry powder that I sometimes combine with cauli and nooch for a mash, its the best.
Cheers!
Meri

32 Mama Pea May 29, 2011

I am so with you on the mashed cauliflower. Cauliflower is wonderful in its own right, but it’s no mashed taters!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

33 Sonia (the Mexigarian) May 29, 2011

Your weekend sounds like so much fun thus far. I really love seeing how the deck is coming along and your garden. I love speaking to my plants too. They need to hear our encouraging words to grow just as much as they need water and sunshine. Well, we need water and sunshine too and encouraging words from loved ones always help :)

So far this weekend I celebrated two friends graduations. Wrote 15 and counting pages in my novel, talked to my plants and gave a zucchini plant away to my older sister (hopefully her boyfriend will teach her how NOT to kill it) and walk/ran 3.5 miles in 45 minutes. Tomorrow I hope to get my butt on my road bike and cycle out doors for the first time and pray I can finish my novel before June 1st or I lose a bet and owe a friend a bottle of expensive champagne.

34 laurie May 29, 2011

my daughter follows your blog and now so am I,, good stuff!

35 Andrea May 29, 2011

Love that dress- So pretty! I’m way into white dresses this season :)
This weekend I took it easy! I baked bread and cherry muffins, I read the Globe and Mail, I strolled over to the farmers market and I did plenty of gentle hatha yoga. I snuggled with my puppy and chatted with my best friend for hours on her back patio. It was a good weekend :)

36 Alyssa May 29, 2011

stumbled across your blog a couple weeks ago, been lurking since :) looks like a wonderful weekend- you are a productive woman! i need to get my hands on a copy of that clean food cookbook!

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2011

Nice to ‘meet’ you :)

38 Brandy May 29, 2011

I just made your Energizing Protein Power Salad – with a few modifications – and it’s great! I’ll be taking it to a bbq tomorrow for the holiday. Thanks for posting so many wonderful recipes :)

39 Tracy May 29, 2011

Just found your blog and am so happy I did! You are such an inspiration. Love the pictures from the weekend! I am on a challenging journey & it helped to read your blog. Thank you!

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2011

Thank u!

41 Heather (Heather's Dish) May 29, 2011

girl, your weekend sounds exactly like what i’d hoped mine would be…but i got food poisoning! i’m hoping to catch up tomorrow…playing in the dirt a lot is exactly what i’d hoped to do yesterday!

42 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 29, 2011

Looks like a busy but relaxing weekend! I love frozen cherries and could eat them every day and be happy :)

The doormat you picked out is gorgeous! I just love it.

43 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans May 29, 2011

What a great weekend!

I love Mill Street Organic…yum!! :)

44 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 29, 2011

I have the Clean Food cookbook and I love it! The recipe for Banana Coconut Chocolate Chip cookies is one of my favourites. I really want to get Clean Start too!

Haha I love that you let Eric do all the work while you drank a beer. Atta girl. ;)

45 Julie Kinnear May 29, 2011

Love, love, love this! Healthy lifestyle all the way! The Green Monster is looking good, I have never heard about it before – I have to try it. Oh, and isn’t gardening just the most relaxing activity ever? I always look forward to weekends to spend hours in my garden, really.

46 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2011

Yes it is so relaxing…love it

47 Carrie (Carrie on Vegan) May 29, 2011

Hmmm, I adore cauliflower rice and blanched cauliflower florets. Wondering if I might like the mashed version? Thanks for the inspiration! :)

48 Lizzie May 29, 2011

This weekend:

I had dinner out with a girlfriend, then came home and sat on the verandah with my husband and a glass of white from NZ.

Enjoyed a yummy seafood dinner cooked by said husband.

Did errands up the wazoo.

PR’d a 5 miler by 30 secs and cheered my husband on in his first 1/2.

Spent some time just appreciating not wearing 50 layers and being able to wear flip flops!

Loved your weekend, Angela!

49 char @ char on a mission May 29, 2011

What a great way to spend the weekend! I’m not a ‘downtown’ kinda girl, but it was my friend’s 25th, so we went to Toronto Friday night!! I want to find those crackers at costco! I also love that you can get a big bag of frozen mangos from costco too, need to investigate that as well!

50 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts May 29, 2011

This looks like an amazing weekend. You packed a lot in! I’m a tad jealous of your cherries (I have no problem finding frozen, but fresh won’t be an option until the next southern hemisphere summer!) and very impressed with your cherry pie…even if it did fall apart :p

51 Sportsgirl May 29, 2011

Did you know that you can eat Dandelion? I just mentioned it because it seems like you had a bunch there and if you were that way inclined…
I don’t eat it personally, but I feed it to my rabbit :-)

52 Marit May 30, 2011

True.. the young leaves taste just like rocket salad and you can even make wine from the actual flowers. The roots, if roasted and dried make a wonderful replacement for coffee…
My dad used to make lots of dandelion wine when i was younger and it keeps way better than ordinary white wine. if you get the recipe right it tastes a bit gewurtzaminer-ish and it is wonderfully refreshing on summer nights…
the coffee bit is a bit more difficult to make but the results are quite tasteful…
Waste not, want not !

hehe

53 Luv What You Do May 29, 2011

I just bought the same two cookbooks. I am excited to use them this summer and your cherry tart looks great!

This weekend I BIKED THE DRIVE!!!

54 Kris May 29, 2011

Deck looks awesome!!! :)

I love frozen mango…had no idea I could get it at costco!

55 big sis May 29, 2011

Thank you for the BD wishes! I can’t wait to try those crackers .. going to costco hopefully this week … going Blackberry can hardly wait! Deck looks amazing, can’t wait to see it! xo

56 Alaina May 29, 2011

Sounds like a wonderful weekend to me! I spent the weekend with my parents, met some new bloggers and ran a hot, sweaty half marathon! :-)

57 kaila @ healthy helper! May 29, 2011

Congrats on all the hot yoga! I have been struggling to get to classes recently because the weather is so humid and hot as it is! I am always more motivated to go in the dead of winter lol!

Both those foods you made looks wonderful! Cherry tart with fresh cherries!?!?! Yes please!!!

58 Vanessa @ Loving the Sweet LIfe May 29, 2011

Sounds like you had a very busy weekend.
Today was my sis’ birthday too, I celebrated with vegan cupcakes! ha!
I go through that frozen costco mango like crazy, it’s in almost every smoothie I make.
And I bought a bag of cherries too but wasn’t sure what to do with them – this week will be for pies as there is soo much rhubarb in the garden.

59 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) May 30, 2011

This weekend I threw a surprise 70th birthday party for my dad :-)

I thought this post was awesome!

60 Lara May 30, 2011

I am SO HAPPY I just stumbled onto your website! I’m a healthy eater and love an occasional green smoothie. I love trying new foods, experimenting, and eating unusual things. There are few things that I enjoy eating again and again. Your website has amazing recipes, and it looks like it’ll keep me busy for a life time (not kidding!). Thank you so much! Are you going to come out with a cookbook one day? I would love to have all of these recipes on my shelf!

61 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2011

Thank you!

I hope to write a cookbook someday :)

62 Ashley May 30, 2011

17 classes!! Wow!! I feel like you just went to your first. That’s so amazing! Looks like such a fun weekend. The deck looks awesome, as does all the food. :)

63 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 30, 2011

I’ve heard really great things about Terry Walter’s books! I look forward to seeing your interpretations :)

Happy bday to your sister!

64 Kacey May 30, 2011

Just found your blog- thanks for sharing your inspirational story and glimpses into your beautiful life! Can’t wait to dig into some of your recipes. They look so decadent…can’t believe they’re also health!

65 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 30, 2011

Sounds like a busy/fun/productive/tasty/fantastic weekend to me Ange! Sorry to hear you couldn’t find the cherries – I think that pitting party we were discussing is going to have to happen! I’ve seen those books that Eric bought for you at Chapters a few times and have been very curious to take a peek inside. I can’t wait to see what else you make with them! Happy Birthday to your sister!

66 Renee Sims May 30, 2011

I love you site and green monsters! They are the best. I usually drink one daily. Can you tell me the full name of the mango powder in your picture . Can’t see if fully . Thanks !

67 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 30, 2011

I love doing yard work! It’s so relaxing and always so warm outside. And cherry tart sounds fantastic!

I went to the zoo yesterday with my mom and worked on some projects around the house with my dad the day before.

68 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh May 30, 2011

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! I was all jazzed to try the mashed cauliflower recipe, then I scrolled down and saw it was meh! LOL I still may give it a go just to say I did.

69 Katy @ fitinheels May 30, 2011

This looks like the PERFECT weekend. Your photos are so beautiful, crisp, and colourful!

70 Jennifer May 30, 2011

I made the tart from Clean Start once as well but with different fruit and mine also fell apart hahaha! (but my family loved the crumbled mess still too)

71 Moni'sMeals May 30, 2011

Yes Strong Woman! That is you for sure. :)

I love your weekend so far, totally my style!

Relaxing, Productive, Fun, Passionate…

72 Amber K May 30, 2011

I love mashed cauliflower but I think adding potatoes to it is essential. Potatoes are packed with potassium and delicious, they gotta be in there somewhere :)

73 elizabeth May 30, 2011

I’m in love with this site, Angela! I’m new to “clean eating.” I’ve lost 20 lbs and feel so good about myself. A site like yours, filled with inspiration and and simple beauty is just what I needed to keep me going!There really is a tranquil feeling in your pictures. I made the Itty Bitty Carrot Cake bites yesterday and loved them! Thanks for sharing all of this wonderful information. You made me even more excited about the healthy path I’ve chosen.

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2011

Thank you Elizabeth for your kind feedback :) Goodluck with your journey!

75 LizAshlee May 30, 2011

It sounds like you enjoyed a delightful weekend! So happy to hear!

The boy & I picked out & planted a tomato plant & a couple flowers + cleaned house + a few more necessary to do’s…

Worked Sunday then enjoyed a lovely & cozy movie night when I got home

Today, drove to Boulder to get out of town, getting ready to go to the movie to watch Hangover 2, and then grocery shop at Whole Foods & enjoy a tasty Whole Foods dinner!

Of course, had fantastic workouts & ate healthy, yummy food all the while…on Saturday night we enjoyed healthy Cookie Dough Blizzards thanks to your amazing recipe!!

Have a lovely rest of your Monday!

LizAshlee
twitter.com/lizashleeblog

76 Willo@Green Gracious May 30, 2011

LOVE the clean cookbooks! Use them all the time! Just made the strawberry rhubarb nut pie last week. This weekend we rested a lot and gardened a little.

77 Carly May 30, 2011

I’ve never tried mashed cauliflower….perhaps I will just leave it that way!

We finally had good weather this weekend! Yet Monday definitely brought more rain :(

78 Sara May 30, 2011

Wow your plants are coming in quick! I just noticed local Cherries at the market today, I can’t believe that season is already here! I still have to wait for my cranberries though!! :(

79 Angel7 May 30, 2011

I am sure that your husband was a little jealous when he saw you drinking a beer while he was carrying a load of wood for the deck :)

We are enjoying the beautiful weather we are finally having!!! We finally have sunshine, as opposed to the torrential downpours we have had the past while.

Today, I blew up — with a pump :) — a big, inflatable pool for our 3 year-old daughter. She had so much fun splashing around!

80 Heather May 30, 2011

I volunteered, went to the beach, did some yoga and piles of cooking and baking…it was amazing!

81 Cait May 30, 2011

That cherry tart looks great (even fallen apart!) but I didn’t see it in the index of Clean Start. Did you adapt it from another recipe?

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2011

Yup the blueberry tart…followed it exactly except used cherries. :)

83 Mac May 30, 2011

I went to 2 Brewers baseball games this weekend… I love baseball season and I love summer!

84 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen May 31, 2011

I have the green – Clean Food – cookbook. Love it!

85 Lauren May 31, 2011

Just made your frozen vegan glo cups this evening and the chocolate oats “cure a chocolate craving” patties/cookie last night! What a great resource you are! I went vegan about 5 months ago and have been trying to eat like a superhero ever since, all this while battling a mean sweet tooth.
I too was wondering what type of organic beer do you drink? I noticed someone else asked as well, sorry if i missed the answer.

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2011

I drink mill street organic….brewed in Toronto!

87 JenATX May 31, 2011

cherries always remind me of summer! You know what else reminds me of the summer time?… You! I started reading your blog last year and I was introduced to the wonderful world that is OSG :) VOO became my staple breakfast in the hot Texas mornings.. mmmmm