The Day I Tried Moksha Hot Yoga

IMG_5606

We entered the Moksha room and the heat smacked me in the face.

37 Celsius is hotter than I expected it to be.

This is HOT yoga, not warm yoga, I reminded myself.

Then again we’re just coming out of a long Canadian Winter and I haven’t felt the heat in months, so it’s relative. I could feel the blood tickle my cheeks as my skin flushed from the heat.

Ange and I were the first to enter the practice room, which made me happy because I love being early. Best of all, I could pick my spot at the back of the room to hide. I totally wanted to hide even though I felt like there was no place to hide in this room. It was open and airy, with several large windows, bamboo floors, and floor to ceiling mirrors at the front.

So much for hiding.

Moksha Yoga whatTOdo Maple

[source]

I carefully and quietly rolled out my Lululemon mat and placed my large bath towel over top, which Ange told me was a great sweat catcher. You also do not talk when in the practice room…if you do, the floor will open up and suck you out in one quick motion.

I left my Sigg water bottle and small face towel near the wall and I lay down on my back…because that is just what you do, I quickly learned.

IMG_5612

I later found out that this is called ‘Savasana’.

‘Lying flat on the back with the palms turned up and the feet slightly separated, we start a challenging practice in relaxation, allowing our expectations to fall away and be replaced by the potential for pure experience.’ [source]

The Savasana was great because it allowed my body to adjust to the temperature. After about 5 minutes, I felt comfortable again. Calmness started to slowly come over me as I inhaled and exhaled in silence for about 10 minutes before the class began. Any sense of anxiety that I felt prior to the class was virtually gone. I started to wonder if yoga might be the natural remedy for my anxiety that I’ve been looking for.

I hear others walking past me, some lightly… some not, but I try to tune out the distractions. I’m eager to sit up and look around at my fellow classmates, but I try to focus on breathing.

‘Welcome everyone to our Moksha 75 minute class.’

We stay on our mats and just focus on our breathing for several minutes. While we breathe, the instructor speaks to us in a soft tone:

‘The to-do lists might be swirling through your mind right now. You are thinking about your day or things that you have to check off your list. Let this 75 minutes be just for you. Don’t think about anything else except where you are in this moment. Allow your to-do list to leave your mind. This is your time.’

I like her already.

We’re standing up now and looking to the front mirrors. A single bead of sweat drops from my brow as I get up. My skin glistens and my face is looking rather..flustered. I quickly glance around the room and I notice our class is made up of mostly women, with a few men. All shapes, sizes, and abilities. There was about 15 of us. It wasn’t a classroom full of 6 foot amazon yogis like I imagined.

‘Now, meet your gaze in the mirror.’

I look directly at myself, feeling mixed emotions. She looks strong, but weak at the same time, I think. I’m not sure I like that thought.

As if the instructor was reading my mind she said, ‘Now, meet your gaze in the mirror with KIND eyes. Soften your eyes and look at yourself with kindness.’

I tried again. This time with kind eyes.

For a moment, I felt emotional by this simple act of looking at myself with kindness. I was grateful that it was easier to do than it used to be, although I know that I still had a ways to go yet.

I immediately know that this is going to be much more than a workout.

Alive in the Fire_Coffee and Yoga_hands behind back

[source]

We move into the standing series which is ‘a cardiovascular set of postures. The focus is on building strength, balance and endurance through hot yoga postures done from a standing position. Postures are held anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute, allowing the skin to sweat and detoxify the body.’

I fell in love with Dancer (left) and Eagle pose (right). I’ve done them both at home, but never with a mirror to see my body bend and balance more than I expected it to.

7259-hp_218_Natarajasana_248 2722-54

[source]

I feel amazing when doing the dancer pose and it reminds me of my ballet days as a young child. Much of what I love about ballet, like discipline, could also be applied to yoga. This excites me.

‘Focus your thoughts on your breath if you find your mind wandering. Inhale….hands planted on the floor, legs extend out…exhale…downward facing dog.’

After a short while, my skin is beaded with sweat and it drips off my body uncontrollably.

hot-yoga-poses-2

[source]

At first, I’m a bit embarrassed by sweat falling off me, hitting the towel strategically placed on my mat. A quick glance around the room assures me that everyone has sweat dripping off them. Like a faucet. I feel less gross. Surprisingly, the room doesn’t smell funky and I wonder what line of natural cleaners they use.

‘Keep breathing.’

After the standing series, comes the floor series:

‘The floor series works on strengthening the upper body, spine and abdominal muscles. Having thoroughly warmed the body in the standing series, we now begin to open the hips and spine. The floor series relieves tension, treats lower back and knee pain and improves posture.’

I feel loose as a goose in the second half of the class. This heat has me thinking I’m much more flexible than I am and it’s motivating because I feel like I can do this. The poses feel smooth instead of painful and tight.

We end the class where we began- Savasana. We are told to pay particular attention to how we feel in the Savasana, as compared to the beginning of class. I’m amazed by the difference. My breathing now is long and deep, effortless and unforced. My body feels calm and despite being soaked in sweat, I feel just right.

And that feeling of ‘just right’ or calmness carried with me throughout the day as I found myself anticipating my next class.

1 Peggy @ freshnutrition.net May 11, 2011

Great review!! I love hot yoga, I am new to Moksha, I have only been at it a few months, but I get pretty blissed out everytime I practice. Enjoy your new type of yoga practice!

2 Evita May 11, 2011

Hi Angela

Great to share in your first experience! I LOVE Moksha yoga. I started it in the fall of 2009 and was immediately hooked. There is something so delicious in it for me to be in that heat and then flow with those poses.

And you are so right, it is so much more than a workout. It touches one emotionally, mentally and spiritually – not just physically.

That is the only thing missing about living in the wilderness, no Moksha studio around ;) But I still try to do it every time I come by the cities.

Enjoy your continued journey with this wonderful practice :)

3 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 11, 2011

Really interesting post! I like how you take us through every thought over each element of class. I’ve always wanted to try hot yoga, so this was great to read. Thanks Angela :)

4 Charlie May 11, 2011

I LOVE moksha yoga! It gets even better after a few times :).

5 Sylvia @ The Running Advocate May 11, 2011

I haven’t tried yoga yet. I used to be one of those that didn’t think it would be much of a workout but now I’m just trying to figure out where to start. Your post almost makes it seem magical :)

6 Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission May 11, 2011

I can’t even express how much hot yoga has changed my life & body. I am currently looking for a new studio because the only one that offers hot yoga in my area is not hot or authentic at all. Moksha looks incredible. I may have to move out to Toronto for the hot yoga + job opportunities! I’m so glad you like it! People have a ton of preconceived notions that yoga is easy and just relaxing stretches, but it is so challenging and rewarding!

7 Alyssa May 11, 2011

I once tried something similiar to this called Bikram yoga. . .and I almost passed out during class. . . I haven’t been back. Haha.
Reading your post makes me brave enough to try it again (maybe) :)

8 Hannah May 11, 2011

I have never heard of Moksha hot yoga before! It sounds wonderful. Do you have a membership to this place now? I’d love to hear about your progress–inner mind progress that is! For example, how much calmer you feel after doing yoga, etc. It’s amazing how one class makes you feel so much better.

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2011

I bought the intro month pass which is $40 :) I can go unlimited times this month! What a steal. After this month, Im going to look into passes and evaluate costs.

10 Hayley @ Oat Couture May 11, 2011

Wow thats a great price! :) The studio I found near me (I was in the uk at the time) was like £100 every month! :/ After my trial month I figured I would just stick with the gym!

11 Samantha Angela May 11, 2011

I went to a Moksha class in Mississauga when I was visiting a friend in Etobicoke. I LOVED it.

12 Tiffany May 11, 2011

Well that just sounds heavenly to me!!!

13 Evan May 11, 2011

It sounds like your class was basically a Bikram class, but 15 minutes shorter.

I LOVE the way you articulated your first experience at hot yoga, Angela. It’s a fantastic compliment to running and other cardio, as it really forces you to give your muscles some love. So glad you’ve boarded the yoga train :)

14 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 11, 2011

Lovely review, Ange!! I also love Eagle and Dancers pose – and Savasana of course – it’s my favourite for sure!! I also find that Pigeon is a good one for stretching out my oh-so-tight hip flexors. Running and cycling are pretty hard on them! About the cleaners in the studio, apparently they are Nature Clean and CitraSolve. (http://www.mokshayogamilton.com/os-facility.htm). I agree – they are definitely mild and appear to work wonders since the studio smells so good and not like gross stinky sweat!

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2011

Ohh thanks Ange :)

16 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers May 11, 2011

You make it sound so lovely, but I’m not sure I’d be able to take the heat! Props to you for trying something new.

17 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans May 11, 2011

I am tempted to try hot yoga but I get quite sick feeling in hot places (steam room, sauna, hot tub) so I am not sure if its for me. It seems great though!!

18 anneland May 14, 2011

Do not try hot yoga if you get sick from being in moist heat. You will have the same experience (worse when exerting yourself) and learn to dislike yoga unnecessarily. Hot yoga is not for everyone. If you know yourself to react badly under such conditions, just try another style.

19 Rhea May 11, 2011

this post is wonderful. you are a great writer and really captured the essence and emotion behind a hot yoga class. i’m on a budget at the moment, but you’ve got me craving a class now! :)

20 Maggie May 11, 2011

Wow! This sounds so challenging … I love yoga-but I haven’t tried it in the heat (unless you count outside as “heat”)! I can’t wait to get back into yoga classes. I don’t think I am dedicated enough to do it very well when I am on my own!

21 cathy May 11, 2011

what a wonderful moksha review, angela! i definitely have hot yoga on my list of New Experiences to try this year. (Likely, at the same place you and angela went to!).
i agree: yoga helps quell anxiety wonderfully. thanks again for sharing your thoughts – beautifully written.

22 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious May 11, 2011

I’ve heard people rave about Moksha Yoga (we have a studio near my work). I think you’ve convinced me to give it a try! I love the thought of 75 minutes of yoga while detoxifying.

23 Therese May 11, 2011

I did a 60 minute Moksha class just before Christmas and LOVED it! I haven’t had the chance to go again but I would love to build it into my week!

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2011

we should all go sometime…would be fun!

25 Therese May 11, 2011

Ohhh! Good idea!

26 Mariah@Apples"N"OATS May 11, 2011

hmmm this is so interesting!!i normally do bikram or power vinyasa , butg I have never tried moksha! it sounds great and the studio is beautiful!

27 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 11, 2011

I want to take that class!

I love the “use this 75 minutes for you, leave your worries aside” talk because that is what I try to tell myself before I exercise — to just relax and enjoy the time!

28 Radha May 11, 2011

So happy you found a class you like. I have taken up yoga again with DVDs and love it. After my yoga practice I meditate. It does bring peace.

29 Caitlin @ The Caitie Experiment May 11, 2011

I was considering skipping my regular Wednesday Flow class today (in favor of Jillian Michaels’ Ripped in 30 Day 4), but your perfectly-worded description of how you felt during your class just totally prompted me to sign in and sign up for my 75 minutes of “me time”. My fave pose is definitely pigeon, although the one I’m best at is far and away bow pose… the one where you’re basically balancing on your pelvis, holding your ankles behind you so that you kind of bend into a u-shape. I was terrified to try it my first time, and was blown away that I could not only do it, but do it well! I think that’s the real benefit of yoga, like you said — it constantly pushes us to try new things, but in a safe environment where no one is judging!

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2011

I love the bow pose too…it feels amazing. :)

31 Leah (The Kind Weight Watcher) May 11, 2011

I hated hot yoga! It is just NOT for me. But I get what you mean about it being therapeutic at times. Perhaps I should try again now that I actually have learned to love myself and my body.

32 Nadine May 11, 2011

Isn’t it just simply fantastic! I started moksha a few years ago as a way to get all the toxins out after doing ivf(all those hormones are gross). That studio is really nice! I go to the one in Mississauga, The instructors are usualy great(except this one time where they made it hotter then usual and a lot of people had to leave the room)…

Glad you discovered moksha!

33 Hayley @ Oat Couture May 11, 2011

First off, cool post! I really like that it’s so in depth! :) I also tried Bikram Yoga for a few months, sometimes like you I felt amazingly calm, flexible etc and most other times I just felt like I was going to pass out!! :/ I guess this has to do with how hydrated you are and what you have eaten beforehand. It definitely has a great effect on your mind and body although I think I prefer Dynamic Yoga in a nice cool room! :)

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2011

I think Bikram is also hotter isn’t it? I heard it is heated to 40C. That would be intense!

35 Hayley @ Oat Couture May 11, 2011

Ahhh that explains alot! :)

36 Melissa May 11, 2011

I haven’t done hot yoga yet but I feel the same way about the vinyasa flow yoga that I do. Until you give it a try you can’t really explain how it’s more than just stretching. This post puts into words what I love about yoga.

37 Z May 11, 2011

Is Moksha like Bikram? I haven’t done Bikram in such a long time (mostly because it’s super expensive in NYC and the classes that are slightly less expensive are done in CARPETED studios –>gross!). But, after reading your post I feel that urge to pick it up again…thanks!

38 Kareen May 29, 2011

Bikram and Moksha aren’t the same! The temperature factor is similar but the concept is different.
Moksha is opening a studio in NYC in the Fall!

39 Bridget May 11, 2011

I love yoga but have never done hot yoga (and can’t try it right now because I’m pregnant). But that sounds like a great class and I may have to try hot yoga someday! For now I’m doing prenatal yoga DVDs…better than nothing, anyway ;)

40 Karen May 11, 2011

Boy you made that class sound nice!
I absolutely LOVE yoga and have been practicing (mostly at home) for a long time.
Last year, I tried a Bikram class with a friend, and I almost passed out twice. haha I did finish the class and I sort of liked it. I always like doing the asanas, but I don’t know if the heat is for me. But that spiritual/mental thing is definitely something that makes me know that yoga is a life-long practice for me.

41 Sara May 11, 2011

Angela, I’m SO glad you tried moksha yoga! I did my first class on January 2 of this year (new years resolution based on a very well priced month long groupon intro) and have gone every day since. I had been trying to get into yoga for years, but couldn’t find a style that fit me- yin was too slow, ashtanga too advanced to begin with, and bikrams was just mean. Moksha is the perfect balance of a kick-your-butt workout, incredible mind balancing, and wonderful grounding spiritual practice. I can guarantee you that if you go again tomorrow, or thursday, you will be hooked. Every moksha teacher I’ve had the pleasure of working with is calm, kind, and brings their own self-reflective style to the practice. Keep at it and you will surely find yourself a moksha addict.

Let positivity be your guide, namastae.

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2011

Thanks for your comment! I went yesterday to the 60 m flow and it was great too, although it left me wanting more. Who knew? ;) Im going to Moksha 60 min today. Gotta use my unlimited monthly pass while I can!

43 Sara May 11, 2011

I don’t know which Ontario studio you’re at, but a lot of them have both a “moksha flow” and a “hot flow” class. The moksha flow uses only poses from the moksha series, which is great when you’re starting out, and definitely more of a workout than just the series on its own (so many downward dog flows and vinyasas!). If your studio has a “hot flow” class, try it out when you feel ready- usually they’re taught by teachers licensed in more than one style of yoga, and are a total grab bag of sequences- vinyasa power, asthanga, hatha, and moksha all work together. I did my first “hot flow” class about 3 weeks after starting a daily practice and have NEVER (to this day) sweat so much in my life! The best part is that you’re getting a beautiful workout for the body and the mind!

A lot of studios also have a “live music” class (Mine in Vancouver does), if yours does, GO! You will love it, there is nothing like listening to live beautiful voices while you breathe through the series.

Dancer’s is my favourite too :)

Enjoy your class today! Namastae

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2011

Thanks for all the great info!

Ok 1st time I did Moksha 75, yesterday I did Flow 60, and today I did Moksha 60 again. Sweat a TON during both Moksha’s not nearly as much during flow.

These are the options:

CLASS DESCRIPTIONS (all classes below are in our heated practice room)

Moksha (60,75,90 minute) – A dynamic system of postures and breathing exercises specifically designed to be practiced in the heat. Moksha classes are intended to open, strengthen and detoxify the entire body. This amazing series of postures are suitable for students of all levels of ability.

Moksha Flow (75 min and 60 min) – The regular Moksha series is joined together with sun salutations. This class flows from one posture to the next, challenging your strength, while working with your breath. Beginners welcome.

Morning Flow – A gentle and invigorating flow class to start your day! See you bright and early!

Karma Class – A Moksha class offered on a donation basis ($8 minimum). Proceeds go to local charities. Class passes cannot be used for this class.

45 Sara May 11, 2011

I’m jealous that your studio has a bunch of 90 minute moksha classes, mine only has them once a day! You really can’t go wrong with any of them- I hope you love the practice as much as I have- it will change your life if you let it! :)

46 Baking 'n' Books May 11, 2011

I actually hate 90-min classes…;) – but Moksha I think would be an exception. I tried it a year and a half ago – a 60 min. – and actually enjoyed it more because it wasn’t just 90 mins. of stretching, meditation – or crazy impossible poses I can’t do at all! It seemed more physical but not unattainable. I also found a younger crowd there ;) – unfortunately, I only ever tried it twice and haven’t been back. It’s on the other side of town from where I live – and in traffic that can be up to 1 1/2 driving time! It’s also not cheap – period! An unlimited monthly pass? That’s a great deal.

47 M May 13, 2011

PS they are so smart with their marketing-
only $40 to start,then we get addicted to how great it feels,
but then it costs MUCH more money after we are hooked!

But I do love it, just warning you it is both a great and
financially challenging “addiction”-but I can;t stay away :)

48 Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf May 11, 2011

I love when fitness activities remind me of dance. I did dance and gymnastics as a child, so anything that harkens back to that time is good with me. :) This is why I love Zumba, pilates, and yoga. And in the fall I’ll be taking a “social dance” class. I’m so looking forward to it!

I wish we had hot yoga around here. Ah well.

49 Aneta May 11, 2011

ooooh i know all about Moksha yoga. and its not easy.
its an awesome class that works ur body, mind and soul.

great job. glad u liked it!

50 Danielle May 11, 2011

This post gave me chills! I had my first Moksha class about a year ago and had similar feelings. A lot of my personal development has occured in a Moksha class and I have loved every minute of it, good times and bad. Every class I walk out feeling taller, stronger, more centered, and less anxious. I am glad you shared your experience because it is something that I haven’t heard many people talk about with such honesty. Thank you!

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2011

Thanks Danielle! I am happy to hear that you have experience so many benefits from it too.

52 Kim@ The Future Dr. B-S May 11, 2011

I used to go to Bikram all of the time – haven’t been in forever. The monthly pass (for students) is $110 though – unreal!

53 Suzanne Williams May 11, 2011

Wow, your writing is beautiful. Loved it. I really enjoy yoga, but I am very nervous about hot yoga. I have heard it makes you dizzy and I don’t enjoy that feeling. Afraid it would make me anxious. Did you experience that?
Suzanne

54 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2011

I was only dizzy for a brief moment…maybe 2 seconds. I drank water and I was fine the rest of the class. I think its important to be very hydrated the day before and morning of…and of course, afterwards. I had a small headache that night, but I was able to cure it with water. I dont think I drank enough H20 afterwards.
Its also important to have a light meal about 1.5-2 hours prior

55 Jennifer May 11, 2011

I loved this post. And I love the idea of yoga. But I’m too scared to try. I am probably the most unflexible person I’ve ever met. Touch my toes, not even close. I could maybe touch my calf LOL. Any words of advice?

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2011

I’m also not flexible and I tend to have very, very stiff legs (probaby from so much cardio and not enough stretching). The beauty of the hot class is that your muscles warm up. I was able to stretch much more than I usually can and I looooved that part of it. It gave me motivation to stick with it. Most poses just felt smooth…whereas if I had done them at home, they would have felt stiff.

57 jenna May 11, 2011

how did you physically feel afterward? or even during? did you ever feel sick? headache? nauseaus? I’ve wanted to try one of these classes but i’m afraid i’ll get sick.

58 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2011

I chugged water so much the day prior and the morning of. I think that helped as I did not feel sick during or after. There was only a brief moment when I felt light headed during the class, but it was all of 2 seconds.
I guess I didnt drink enough water AFTER the class because I had a brief headache a night time that was cured with water. :)
I think a light breakfast is also needed…at least 1.5 hours prior to the class.

59 Lisa May 11, 2011

Thoroughly enjoyed this descriptive post! If more people understood the concepts of yoga, there would be a lot less stress in the world!

60 staceyhealthylife May 11, 2011

Great review. I have wanted to try hot yoga so I liked hearing your recap.

61 Shanna, Like Banana May 11, 2011

Oh I love Bikram, love love love. It’s so intense and invogorating. It feels like I got a 90 min massage when I’m done.

62 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} May 11, 2011

Sounds interesting. I’m not sure I could handle the heat, but sounds like something I should at least try.

63 Tessa @ Amazing Asset May 11, 2011

What a informative, and insightful post! Good for you for focusing and getting your mind into the workout, hot yoga is TOUGH. The first time I tried Bikram Yoga, I remember looking at my mom about halfway through wondering why on earth we had decided to voluntarily participate in this….but by the end of the class I felt fresh and rejuvenated :)

64 Heather (heathers dish) May 11, 2011

I love this post…I think the feeling at the end is exactly what we all strive for in our yoga practice!

65 McKella May 11, 2011

Ooh, I want to try this! I’ve taken yoga classes before, and one of my favorite things about practicing with a mirror is having to look myself if the eye for an hour or so. I have to be honest with myself, and doing that twice a week for several months really helped me feel better about myself, for some reason. I guess it’s hard to look someone in the eye and tell them that you don’t like them.

66 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2011

Love that :)

67 Kristy May 11, 2011

Thank you so much for reviewing your hot yoga experience. I’ve heard more and more about it this past week and have been really interested. I’m brand new to yoga though, do you think it’s too advanced for someone just starting out?

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2011

Yes I definitely think Moksha is friendly to beginners! My favourite so far has been the regular Moksha class. I dont know many poses at all and I was fine with it. Also, no one expects you to be perfect either!

69 Kristy May 11, 2011

Awesome! Thanks!

70 Julie @ Shining From Within May 11, 2011

I looove savasana… my fav thing to do are chaturanga’s though, love the arm workout :) downward dogs feel soooo good too.. now I want to meditate!

71 Rebekah May 11, 2011

I have been doing Moksha yoga since March and I absolutley love it. I love doing savansana at the beginning and end of class. I had never done yoga before and went into the class not quite knowing what to expect and when I came out after that first class I could not wait to go back.

72 Mellissa May 11, 2011

There is something about stepping outside of your comfort zone and really growing as a person and as a yogi. I love trying new classes and coming out feeling like I got such a great workout.

73 Michelle | GOLD-HEARTED GIRL May 11, 2011

This is totally inspiring. I had a great yoga class last night, too. It’s so amazing what it does for your mind and body. Unexplainable!

74 Crystal May 11, 2011

The style in which you wrote this post seems different from your normal writing. I like both. :) I’ve heard a few bad stories about hot yoga (basically dehydration stories from not drinking enough water before going) so it was nice to hear the positive.

75 Tawney (Eat Hike Sleep Repeat) May 11, 2011

Great post. I have done yoga on my own for over a decade, but had never done a regular studio practice until this past November. Hot yoga came to town and I was hooked (like 5 days a week hooked!). The heat just felt so good through the winter. Now that it’s warming up though, I find that I’m not enjoying the heat as much. I took a few “non-hot” classes when I was a way for work, and appreciated the opportunity to “build my own heat” through the various postures and series. Enjoy your classes. I encourage you to try a variety and styles and teachers, since each will give you a different experience.

76 Apple A Day May 11, 2011

Go you for trying out hot yoga! I know it can bring up a lot of mixed emotions about your body. I tell myself that I can’t think of it as a workout, I have to think of it as, “being nice to my body”. You don’t have to be the most flexible or hold the poses the longest. A good yoga teacher will remind you that being a good yogi is all about going with the flow and accepting your body as it is in the moment. If you know your body needs to spend 15 minutes in child’s pose that day, them you are being a good yogi. being at one with your sweat is being a good yogi. Breathing is being a good yogi. Letting go of negative self talk is being a good yogi. I like to think of it as an experiment, and every time I do it I’m coming into deeper knowledge about my body.
Enjoy!

77 Sarah Dean May 11, 2011

So inspiring. I went to hot yoga for the first time in a year this week and was suprised how much the heat knocked me out. I am so glad I read your post-it gives me inspiration to return to class!

78 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) May 11, 2011

This post makes me want to try hot yoga!

79 leslie May 11, 2011

this post was beautiful, angela. i also took ballet for years growing up, and i think it was inevitable (or perhaps just lucky!) that i found my way to the yoga mat as an adult. yoga has done so, so much for me, from improving my overall fitness (i am so much stronger now than when i just ran/did cardio at the gym), helping me get over an injury, and most importantly, making me a more confident person. there’s something really special about mastering a difficult pose that makes you feel like you can do anything when you’re off the mat and in the world. i also love how yoga teachers encourage students to see class as time away from life and time just for yourself – it really shifted my perspective on exercise. and it’s helped me become much kinder to myself as well.

i guess the point of this rambling is that i’m thrilled you experienced some of this! i hope you’re able to keep going to classes and i really look forward to reading your thoughts on them!

80 Sonia (the Mexigarian) May 11, 2011

I’ve never heard of Moksha practice before. From your review it seems similar to Birkam with the high heat but just different positions to go through. Makes me miss the studio. I’ve only done hot yoga once but it was amazing. My body is craving it. Too bad memberships are soooo expensive to yoga studios in general.

81 Carly May 11, 2011

I have been very reluctant to try Hot Yoga and this may have just been the nudge I needed! I can always use a little encouragement to look at myself with kindness, plus a little sweat never killed anyone!

82 Ashley May 11, 2011

Loved the details of your experience!! I really miss that dripping sweat. It’s so refreshing + cleansing!! I am not a big sweater when I’m at the gym. Even doing an HIIT cardio workout and lifting weights, I don’t break much of a sweat. However, hot yoga always left me standing in a puddle. I need that back!

83 Abby May 11, 2011

This class sounds magical!

84 Moni'sMeals May 11, 2011

I am so happy to hear you tried it! It is intense but so worth it. Soon you may just be an addict. :) I still do not like the heat at all, but my body sure feels the difference afterwards.

Lots of water!

85 Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) May 11, 2011

I wrote a post about my first month of Moksha recently, too! I am in LOVE with it and go at least twice a week now! It’s my favorite syle, ever :)

86 Jen May 11, 2011

Congrats on making it through your first class! I’ve only tried Bikram – which I love because it’s the same moves in the same order every class.

On an unrelated note – where did you get that Amazing Grass smoothie cup? I’ve been looking for one like that forever!!!!

87 Lauren May 11, 2011

Sounds like a great experience! I’ve always wanted to try it but haven’t yet gotten up the courage.

88 Krissie J May 11, 2011

Dancer pose is also one of my favorites. I also love pigeon pose and incorporate both into my post-workout stretching once in a while. I’ve never tried hot yoga, it looks interesting.

89 Rosa May 11, 2011

Random question: what’s the super pretty purple drink in your amazing greens cup? :)

90 Nikita May 11, 2011

Great post! I have tried Bikram but not Moksha. I got my yoga teaching certificate in February and have been really lazy about going to yoga classes since because I think I know the poses, but I really miss the experience! It’s just different to be in the class and feel the energy of the room, especially if it’s a heated class, kinda hard to recreate that at home.

91 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes May 11, 2011

I’ve never tried hot yoga before but it sounds amazing!

92 Marta May 11, 2011

hey lady. nice to hear your review of hot yoga. I have tried Moksha and Bikram. I’m always hesitant about any hot yoga as for me the heat takes away from the calm/breathing/centered focus that I need/get out of yoga. I’d highly recommend trying out some non-hot yoga too! A recent teacher that I really connected with explained that the focus of yoga should be breathing, the poses are a way to challenge the body not necessarily for the strength or flexibility you gain, which are awesome, but to train your breathing to overcome those obstacles. That really resonated for me as breathing and anxiety are so directly related and it really explains why yoga does help with my anxiety overall. I know it sucks to feel tight and unflexible which is why the hot yoga can be so appealing, but that’s part of the process. Breathing into the tight areas, really feeling them, challenging them, accepting them, that’s yoga to me!!

M :)

93 Tawney (Eat Hike Sleep Repeat) May 11, 2011

Very nicely put! I’ve had an instructor say that if you only come to class and breathe, then it is worth it. I recently wrote a post on “learning to breathe”. You wouldn’t think there is so much to it, and so much benefit to it, until you finally experience it in its fullest.

94 Gina @Runningtothekitchen May 11, 2011

What an awesome post! I’ve wanted to try hot yoga forever but have always felt intimidated. Maybe I just need to get over it b/c your experience makes it sound totally worth it. thanks for sharing.

95 Michelle (your girlfriend for fitness) May 11, 2011

I love it… by the end of my Bikram Yoga classes I feel so at peace and energized! I really think it is what is needed in my life to keep me balanced and clear my mind from time to time. It’s like your own “reset” button.

96 shana @100lbsandcounting May 11, 2011

This is off topic, but I was wondering if you have done, or can do, a post about what brand appliances you use/recommend? I’m currently in the hunt to buying a blender and food processor but I’m LOST

97 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2011

I have a Vitamix and a 12 cup Kitchenaid food processor…they are both great. As for my other kitchen tools, check out this post found here: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/10/my-most-used-kitchen-tools/ :)

98 Cal May 11, 2011

I love hot yoga and regular yoga as well. It feels like a natural anti-depressant! It keeps my body feeling aligned, toned and strengthened, allows me to screw my head on straight (literally and figuratively) and brings me calm and peace that last for days after each class. It’s a lifesaver!

99 Marina May 11, 2011

Awesome review! Now I want to try hot yoga so much! Or any yoga class for that matter. Although I practice yoga at home alone, there’s something amazing about being in class, listening to that calming voice of the yogi that leads you through the practice

100 vanessa May 11, 2011

You mentioned Yoga to help with anxiety problems, and I can tell you that my best friend is currently in nursing school, and had to write a paper for her psychology class – the topic she chose was Yoga as a Form of Therapy for Panic and Anxiety Disorders. !!

There is currently a ton of research going on which is studying the exact and specific effects on brain chemistry of doing Yoga postures, and it turns out that GABA levels in the brain go WAAYY up when people do Yoga – more than when they do other forms of exercise or meditation alone. And GABA regulates other chemicals in the brain, among them some of those responsible for panic attacks and other panic disorders. AND, the effect is cumulative – the more you do it, the more your brain becomes able to regulate the hormones and other chemicals involved in the cycle of panic disorders.

Anyway, she could tell you more about it than me, but I thought you would like to know that you are TOTALLY on the right track in terms of doing this to help with anxiety!! GO YOU!!

101 Shay May 11, 2011

I’m not entirely sure why, but I’m terrified of hot yoga classes. (Maybe it’s the sweat? Who am I kidding. Of course it’s the sweat.) Great post! I enjoyed your perspective. Now…to alter mine…

102 Rachel May 11, 2011

So addicting!! I can’t get enough, it’s the perfect thing to relax you, but burn some calories :)

103 Corinne May 11, 2011

Congratulations! Glad you enjoyed the class…take each class as it is…sometimes it’ll be easy, sometimes it’ll be hard…sometimes you’ll be loose, and sometimes tight…most important, just keep breathing & don’t judge…sounds silly, but as you go to more classes you’ll see what I mean.

104 Ellie May 11, 2011

Hot yoga is the BEST! Drink a big green juice beforehand for the best class ever. Green monsters are also good an hour or two before if you need something more. Congratulations on starting your practice, I’m so excited for you!

105 Connie the cookie monster May 11, 2011

holy smack that is alotta sweat!

106 kaila @ healthy helper! May 11, 2011

I’m glad you enjoyed hot yoga! It’s one of my fave forms of winter exercise! It’s great when you come enter the room after being out in the frigid temps. Plus its so relaxing but challenging at the same time!

107 Morgan May 11, 2011

I don’t have many yoga studios anywhere near by but I have been wanting to try hot yoga for a while now. I love your review post!

108 Jessica May 11, 2011

I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time as I tried it years ago and the exhilaration after the class, the euphoria really, was addicting. Thanks for describing it in such a thoughtful way. I’m going to look into classes now. How was Moksha different from Bikram?

109 Emma @ Getting There & Going Places May 11, 2011

yoga classes are the best!
I’ve never tried Hot Yoga, but I would love to sometime! :D
Great post.. Even reading it was calming haha! :P

110 birdie to be May 11, 2011

Thanks for sharing! What a great workout.

111 Melissa May 11, 2011

I recently did a 60 day yoga challenge (a personal challenge) after being away from Yoga for about 2 years. My practice has always been power yoga (upper body strength, arm balances etc in a SLIGHTLY heated room). I’ve always had a weak upper body, and this is what I found challenging. I often pictured Hot yoga to be a power class with these types of postures and it scared the dickens out of me….mainly because you are challenged so deeply in power yoga that the sweat pours off of you…and the room is barely heated!
One day during my 60 day challenge I got up the guts to do a hot class. I was scared (and I love the heat). At first I was totally deflated. It’s slower moving, it’s predictable (you have the same postures in the same sequence EVERY class) and I was used to my heart rate going up in a power class, so I could use it as a cardio workout as well. No such luck in the hot class that I took….It was more controlled, more precise and I didn’t necessarily feel “as powerful”.
I decided to use Hot yoga more as a practice when I needed an easier day, or a “break” from power.
My challenge ended about a month ago and my focus has been on my bike and running with a few power classes thrown in here or there.

I went to a hot class a few days ago and to my surprise, the following day I was sore in almost all my back, my ribs, my abs, my glutes…..who knew the toning that happens with Hot yoga and you don’t even know it and all it took was a few weeks away from yoga, to realize that I had lost the conditioning of a hot class! I’ll be going to more hot classes in the near future.
(plus I love how light and free you feel when the class is over). Although I still love the challenge of Power yoga, I love the feeling of cleansing and loosening that a Hot class provides – it’ music to my overworked running and cycling legs!
m

112 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 11, 2011

Moksha was my first hot yoga class too. Something about the set motions really calms me. I’m so glad you liked it! My favorite is the standing poses in the series. Mmm I die every time :)

113 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 11, 2011

Oh Angela, this post is wonderful! I love it!!! As a yoga teacher, a yogi, and a lover of all things yoga, I am so glad you had this amazing practice. Also, so glad that on your first time trying hot yoga, you had a wonderful class and teacher. The first experience someone has with anything…from yoga to vegan food to traveling somewhere…if that first experience isn’t quite right, it can be a forever dealbreaker. So happy this was a huge success!

And yes, yoga being so much more than just a workout and also allowing yourself to let go in svasana and really seal in the practice and allow your body the space to just…..be. Well, I am thrilled!

I will be linking this post up as a great read of the week, for sure :)

114 Alaina May 11, 2011

What a great review! I’m so nervous to take a yoga class. I’m such a newbie at it. This sounds like an intense yet relaxing exercise.

115 KaraHadley May 11, 2011

I’ve never heard of Moksha yoga before, but the heat and some of the poses sound remarkably like Bikram. I don’t know if you’ve ever done Bikram, but based on this I definitely think you would love it. Except Bikram is 90 minutes.

116 michelle s May 11, 2011

Moksha is like a drug for me! I first discovered it in toronto over 5 years ago. shortly after moving to ottawa a Moksha studio opened here and it is super popular… it can be hard to get a spot in class now! I have done it on and off over the years, depending on pregnancies and parenting demands…. but when I get there even once a week it does wonders for me. I find it detoxes me on an emotional and physical level. so glad you like it!

117 Kathryn May 11, 2011

Oh Angela! I’m so happy to read this! I’m glad you enjoyed your class. Yoga is pretty powerful, I love that you said it was going to be more than just excercise. I’m doing my second teacher training right now and I start teaching an actual class this Sunday (like for money!). It warms my heart to read your review. I’ve never even heard of this kind of yoga but it sounds awesome. There are so many wonderful style of yoga out there!

118 Ragnhild May 11, 2011

Thank you for sharing your first Hot Yoga experience!
I do Ashtanga Yoga, and I really love it. Makes me feel so calm, and I feel like I get a good work out! I really want to try Bikram Yoga, I think it is simular to Hot Yoga.

119 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 11, 2011

i can’t wait to try hot yoga!

120 Paula May 11, 2011

Welcome to the wonderful world of hot yoga!!! I knew it would be a good match for you :)

I realize hot yoga is not for everyone, so sometimes I’m not over enthusiastic when I recommend it to people, but I’m always SO glad when someone has a positive experience and I know it will have a tremendous positive impact on their life!

121 Amber from Girl with the Red Hair May 11, 2011

Awesome review!

I always thought Hot Yoga (aka Bikram) was just not for me. Until I tried MOKSHA! I adore Moksha yoga so much, it is definitely my favourite kind that I’ve ever done. I’ve been bad about making it to classes lately but will be remedying that soon :)

122 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2011

Ive heard so many people say that!

123 Emily May 11, 2011

This is beautifully written! It makes me want to take a hot yoga class for sure.

124 Cait @ Beyond Bananas May 11, 2011

I have never done Moksha.. but I have done Bikram. How do they compare? I love all the sweat that drips out from me. It feels like negativity leaving my body.

125 Clare May 11, 2011

I am glad you are loving your yoga. As a yoga teacher, though, I do want to caution you to be very careful of the injuries you are rehabbing. Hot yoga makes your muscles and ligaments feel stretchier than they already are, and because I think I can remember you mentioning hip/groin/ or back injuries in the past (recent past?) I would hope that your teacher would keep you out of end range of motion. I do not know about Moksha-will have to do research-but Bikram “Hot” yoga is generally too extreme for most bodys, adheres to a “push it to your limits” kinda yoga-and I have found that is not for me. Happy Breathing-and I hope you keep enjoying your yoga!

126 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2011

I’m definitely mindful of the injuries, even when now everything feels back to normal. :) Moksha is not Bikram, but I’ve heard it described as a less intense & kinder Bikram though. The instructors do not encourage you to push beyond your own limit which I love!

127 Beth May 11, 2011

Loved this post.
Makes me realise how much I have been missing my Hot Yoga class.

128 Nicole @ Fresh & Fit May 11, 2011

This sounds amazing. I haven’t done yoga in a really long time. I occasionally take a class that combines some yoga and pilates. Is this yoga class something an inexperienced yogi can do or do you have to be somewhat advanced in the practice?

129 Clare @ Fitting It All IN May 11, 2011

As others have said, this sounds remarkably similar to Bikram. I know Bikram is very very picky about who can use his name however, and that his specific 26 posture series is trademarked. I bet you just did lots of the same postures but not the same order! I hope you loved it as much as I Do!

130 Frank Jude May 17, 2011

Moksha Yoga is a form of hot yoga created by Ted Grand and Jess Robertson when they broke away from the Bikram style. The biggest differences physically, is that I find the Moksha series more comprehensive in that the Bikram series lacks upper-body practice. Moksha also is less rigid in that teachers have more latitude to ‘change’ it up a bit in the series. Also, there is more variety (Moksha Flow; Hot Flow etc).

The other big difference I’ve experienced is philosophical. Moksha does not encourage ‘push, push, push, nor is there any insulting kind of language. Moksha emphasizes ahimsa (non-harm) as well as ethical and environmental awareness.

131 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2011

thanks!

132 Rachel May 11, 2011

Welcome to hot yoga. I’ve been addicted since my first class about 5 years ago. :-)

133 Susie May 11, 2011

This is awesome! I so want to just try regular yoga one of these days! LOL! I read your 1st yoga post and i’m going to check out that free yoga class site. Thanks for sharing!

134 Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 11, 2011

What a wonderful review!!!

135 laura May 11, 2011

I love hot yoga! Its kind of an addiction.
Great review!

136 Tara @ trulysimplebits May 11, 2011

Love the way you wrote this post. I felt like I was right there next to you yoga-ing along!

Any plans to do any abs/fitness type challenges again? I love following along with you and the other readers. This is my favorite time of year to exercise too now that the warm weather is finally creeping in!

137 Patrizia May 11, 2011

I too have recently tried hot yoga, and have fallen in love! It makes you feel so incredibly relaxed and calm and is so amazing!

138 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 11, 2011

Thanks for sharing Angela! I loved hearing your play-by-play because it let me know exactly what to expect when I try out a class. It’ll definitely help make me feel less nervous!

139 Gina May 11, 2011

I loved this post! I like to hear other’s experiences with their first studio yoga class! It’s so much different than a video or gym class. I practice at a Baptiste Power Vinyasa studio and an Ashtanga flow based studio. I absolutely love them both and enjoy the variety of classes and amazing teachers. I’m going through the Baptiste teacher training right now and taught my first 60 mnute class last ngiht as part of the training. It was so amazing to actually lead a few people through a whole class!

I’ve never tried Moska, but I actually don’t like practicing with mirrors because I get too distracted on looking to make sure my pose is perfect instead of feeling it in my body…but whatever works and keeps you experiencing the amazing mind and body benefits of yoga!!! I can’t wait to hear more about your experience!

140 Meredith May 11, 2011

This is a great review of Moksha! It’s a fabulous practice to get into the habit of doing, and is such a fabulous workout for both the body and mind. Hot yoga is really the form of exercise that let me stop thinking about exercise as a way to burn calories and start thinking about it as a way to care and nourish for my body. It’s really changed my life.

141 Krystina (Organically Me) May 11, 2011

This post inspired me to take a Dave Farmar power yoga podcast. Thank you. :)

142 Kait May 11, 2011

Welcome to the club!

I wish I could articulate how much hot yoga has made a difference in my life over the past year+. My studio has become my family…I have experienced a full range of emotions on my mat, from inner peace and balance during Savasana and pure joy during ohm to fear, rejection, and grief in any number of hip openers (so glad I had an instructor mention that crying during half pigeon isn’t all that uncommon). I’ve laughed and sobbed on my mat and it has become the place where my day simply melts away and the rest of my life comes in. The patience, integrity, and strength (physical, mental, emotional) that I have gained on my mat have been indispensable during a roller coaster of a year and I have no doubt they will be my greatest aid in all future ventures.

To anyone who is afraid or intimidated or had a bad first experience, I always say: try it at least three times. Class 1 your goal is to simply get through it. Class 2 its to start learning the poses. And Class 3 will be when you can truly say “I’m in or I’m out.”

Good luck as you continue on your journey – I have no doubt you will probably become as dedicated as so many of us!

143 Aja May 11, 2011

I have always wanted to try hot yoga, I like that your post goes through a session. It was really well written, and I loved how it felt like I watching it.

144 Beth@naturallyyoursbeth May 11, 2011

No matter what I do, I just can’t get into yoga. I always like it for about 20 minutes, but I can’t focus for much longer than that. Do you have any tips for not focusing on the boredom?

145 LauraJayne May 11, 2011

I LOVE this review – makes me want to make it to my next class sooner rather than later! I’ve always felt like Hot Yoga was just as important for me mentally as it is physically – glad you enjoyed your class!

146 katie May 11, 2011

well written angela! sounds like you really enjoyed yourself. Im surprised you haven’t done yoga before, it seems like something you would be into!

147 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn May 11, 2011

Holy moley!! I have to find some near me, I love the sound of sweat!

148 Kris May 11, 2011

Hot Yoga is amazing!! Glad you finally got to try it. I find it especially great in the winter when the weather gives me the blues…It is so nice to go in there and relax and pretend to be on a beach :) Can’t wait to join you in a class! xo

149 kate May 11, 2011

im so glad you enjoyed your experience. i think theres room for yoga in everyones life.

150 Morgan @ My Name is Morgan and I'm a Pumpaholic May 11, 2011

I’ve just begun doing yoga because of my university required PE class. Its great stretching and centering for me. I’d love to try hot yoga, but I hate saunas, I feel like I am suffocating, so I don’t know if I could make it. Sounds so awesome though!

151 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 11, 2011

I’m so excited to try yoga soon. Its a mental and physical workout at the same time, in a way!

152 Gena May 11, 2011

Wish I could get into hot yoga! Just not my proverbial “thing.”

153 Katie May 11, 2011

Is this class a version of Bikram yoga? I do Bikram 3 times a week and LOVE it – it’s totally changed my body and life! I am SO not a hot weather person either – but I find when I’m in an environment where I’m supposed to sweat, I’m more willing to :)

Namaste! :)

154 Dalai Lina May 11, 2011

I think you will appreciate adding that to your workout routine. I started a couple years ago and it has rally helped my other workouts. Even just once a week!

155 Angel7 May 11, 2011

You did an excellent job at explaining the class. I like yoga, but need to get motivated to do it more.

156 Meg May 11, 2011

I actually signed up for hot yoga yesterday and I think I’m hooked. It won’t replace my cardio or weights but will be done in addition. It’s amazing that after sweating for an hour you feel so clean.

157 Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily May 12, 2011

Good to know. There is a place by my house that does hot yoga and I always want to try it.

158 Carar @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. May 12, 2011

You did an amazing job recapping your first experience! I have only been once as well and it is definitely as emotional as it is physical. The sweating part I LOVED…I felt so refreshed and detoxed!

159 natalie @ http://healthybalancingact.blogspot.com/ May 12, 2011

i love this type of yoga i find it extreamly clensing calming but at the same time completely challenging. i certainly agree with you, it does wonders for my anxiety

160 ellalinea May 12, 2011

Loved your recap ! I also think it has a lot of similar poses as Bikram yoga but in the end, does that matter? As long as you get a nice workout it doesn’t matter what it’s called :))

161 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 12, 2011

i’m so glad that it went so well! I love hot yoga, too. I’m convinced it is the best workout for your mind, body, and soul. it’s magic!

162 Casey Thomas May 12, 2011

Lovely recap Ange! Seriously reminded me of my first hot yoga class. I love ashtanga most now but all yoga types make me feel amazing really.

163 Christine @ Burning It Off May 12, 2011

I’ve tried hot yoga twice and almost passed out the second time. Personally, I prefer room-temperature yoga ;)

164 tweal May 12, 2011

Dang girl, that was a great read! I’m fairly new to yoga and I haven’t tried hot yoga – I don’t think I would like it. I hear good things but I’m not sure it’s for me. The last yoga class I took was in a warm room, because of sun and outside temp, and it was nice, but hot – not sure about that. Thanks for sharing your experience though, glad you found some anxiety relief too.

165 Tiffany May 12, 2011

I actually tried hot yoga in Phoenix about 4 years ago and really loved it. I later read an article about the associated health risks, especially for people with heart issues so it scared me a little. I do love yoga though and I need to get back into it. Life is just very busy!!

166 sharon May 12, 2011

I’ve never done any yoga but reading your post makes me want to try it!

167 Char May 12, 2011

I’m horrible at letting go of the thoughts in my mind…and judging myself. I’m thinking I just need to do more yoga. It’s been so long since I’ve done and reading this makes me want to get back into it!

168 Tida Pitre May 12, 2011

I go to Bikram’s hot yoga, and I leave feeling like I just got my butt kicked… but by the time I get home I am re-energized and in a great mood! The heat sure knows how to lift the rainny day blues.
PS. All that sweat will make your skin feel softer!
Good luck with your yoga!

169 Janet Fenton May 13, 2011

I love yoga,It’s very helpful to get improvement of body.

170 Stacy S May 13, 2011

You’ve inspired me to try hot yoga. I have signed up for a class this coming Thursday and I’m very excited about it!

171 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 14, 2011

Enjoy! Be sure to drink lots of water before during and after!

172 Leah May 14, 2011

Sounds like an amazing experience! I’d love to try that someday. I can’t wait to read more about this addiction you have forming ;) $40 for unlimited sessions is a steal! So glad you’re enjoying it.

173 Sam @ the neurotic yogini May 14, 2011

” I started to wonder if yoga might be the natural remedy for my anxiety that I’ve been looking for.” Woman, you have found it! I started doing yoga about 6 years ago FOR my anxiety. And here I am.. pursuing for life. It has made such an impact on me. Nothing can calm me down like yoga and meditation! It the natural cure.. :)

P.S. Dancer pose is my favorite as well. It’s just so graceful!

174 Dolores May 15, 2011

I LOVE hot yoga!!! My fave pose is Triangle Pose… also, Savasana! hee hee…anyway I feel so peaceful after doing hot yoga…just love it!

175 Celeste May 15, 2011

Loved this post !!
I recently discovered a small Hatha Hot Yoga studio not to far from my house and am now completely hooked. The 90 minute class is a challenge, and many times I don’t feel like going, but once I reach the final savasana, my entire physical, mental, and emotional self thanks me!
Just always remember to breathe !! haha :)

176 Kareen May 29, 2011

Hi Angela!
So glad to see you have finally tried Moksha and so excited to read that you liked it. I suggested you try it a while back; sometimes all it takes is a buddy.

I just finished my 2nd 30 Day Challenge in Montreal and feel like a different person. Moksha definitely leads you to question yourself, face your fears and grow from there.

Have a good week!
Kareen

177 Purna March 28, 2013

Totally digging moksha yoga! I tried it a few times over the past three years, but was focusing on my home cardio and weights. I now go to moksha regularly and absolutely love it! :) I think it’s really important to have a balance of all things in life and health to feel and be the best that we can – exercise for body and mind, diet (Raw Vegan and Wellness Coach here!) and spirituality as well. Happy Yoga-ing! Namaste. :)