Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Breakfast Cereal

Check out what arrived this week…

IMG_0280

2.5 cubic yards of triple mix soil for the veggie garden. :) Thrilling, I know.

After weeks of looking at different types of soils, I went with a triple mix from Van Beek’s. It’s made from composted manure, black loam, and sandy topsoil. I couldn’t find ‘certified’ organic anywhere, but the owner said it is organic and assured me that they do not add any chemicals or fertilizers to it. That will have to do!

We used this soil calculator to determine how much soil we needed:

Take the Length (ft) of the area to be covered x Width (ft) x Depth (inches) divided by 12, then again divided by 27 and you have your cubic measurement!

For two 4 foot by 8 foot beds, I calculated our soil need to be about 2.37 cubic yards, so we ordered 2.5.

IMG_0284

[We used this step by step tutorial to build the beds.]

When we filled up the beds it was raining (of course!) and shoveling the soil was like shoveling bricks. What a workout! At least I know that the soil is nice and moist for planting. :)

IMG_0292

The rain sure has made our lawn green though!

I’m going to the nursery tonight to check out the new organic plants that just came in and figure out what I need to buy. So far, I have sketched out a rough plan for both of the beds using this Companion Planting info to guide me. I’m trying to plant veggies with their companion plants, figure out specific spacing/planting requirements, and also how many of each plant I will need.

I also put a compost bin and gardening tools on my Birthday list. How cool am I? :)

IMG_5268

Meet: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cereal– a new breakfast and snack infatuation.

In the cookie bowl: Nature’s Path Spelt cereal, chopped banana, 1 tsp chia seeds, 8-10 mini Chocolate chip cookie dough balls, and non-dairy milk.

It tastes like you are eating a bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough for breakfast!

IMG_5271

Another breakfast I’ve been rocking this week…The Mango Banana Green Monster.

IMG_5401

I recently discovered that President’s Choice sells frozen mango chunks. I haven’t had the best experience with some frozen fruit mixes, but this frozen mango is super fresh and sweet. You can nibble on it straight from the bag. :) It is great to keep in the freezer for quick and easy smoothies.

IMG_5160

This week’s favourite mix: 1 cup frozen kale, 1 ripe banana, 1/2-2/3 cup frozen mango chunks, 1.25 cup almond milk, 1/2 scoop wheatgrass powder, 1 tbsp chia seeds.

IMG_5399

So refreshing. :)

IMG_5403

Have a wonderful Friday!

“We are all functioning at a small fraction of our capacity to live fully in its total meaning of loving, caring, creating and adventuring. Consequently, the actual­izing of our potential can become the most exciting adventure of our lifetime.” – Herbert Ottto

1 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner May 6, 2011

YUM YUM YUM!!! I love your smoothie recipe!!! Where do you get the Wheat grass powder?

Your breakfast sounds INCREDIBLE!!! :)

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2011

The wheatgrass powder is from amazing grass :)
It does NOT taste good by any means, but you can mask the taste in a smoothie.

3 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner May 6, 2011

Ok. Thanks! :)

4 Ellie@fitforthesoul May 6, 2011

funnny! I thought you’d love the taste. I actually love it! :P I guess the nutrition is a great motivator anyway

5 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 6, 2011

Oooh yum everything looks delicious this morning! Well, except the soil I suppose, but that is exciting too! I was at Costco on the weekend and found that they have big Kirkland bags of frozen fruit, including mangos, for a pretty reasonable price. I might have to get a couple of bags next time. I can’t believe how all-out you guys are going with these flower beds – they look great!! I hope you have a lovely day Ange!

6 Angela May 6, 2011

Can’t wait to see the veggie garden in a couple months at full effect!!

7 Anna May 6, 2011

Where do you buy the frozen kale?

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2011

I got it at Superstore in the natural food section :)

9 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com May 6, 2011

Oooh, I love the idea of bite-sized cookie dough snacks! I could taken them anywhere and happily munch away! :)

10 Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 6, 2011

Chocolate chip cookie dough = breakfast of champions!

11 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) May 6, 2011

What perfect breakfast! Now all I need is food professor to make those cookie dough balls :D

12 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 6, 2011

I want to have that for breakfast — ok any meal of the day will do.

13 Hannah May 6, 2011

I love anything with Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough–in fact, I’m eating some of the raw stuff (it comes in a cute container) on a piece of banana right now!

14 Andrea May 6, 2011

You should also ask for a rain barrel for your birthday if you haven’t already! ;)

15 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is May 6, 2011

ummm why wasn’t this my breakfast?!

16 Steph @ A Life Without Ice Cream May 6, 2011

I love the PC frozen fruits, they’re very good and mango is a staple in my freezer! Also if you brave Costco they have really large bags of frozen mango for about $10 that’s just as good as the PC but cheaper. I just always have to bug a friend with a membership :P

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2011

thanks for the tip!

18 Sabina May 6, 2011

PC’s frozen mango is AWESOME in smoothies! Just remember to make sure they are blended well. :-)

Steph – great tip on Costco for frozen fruits. We use their triple berry mix and it’s at a great price (even more so when it goes on sale). ;-)

19 Kirsty (gymbunnycoco) May 6, 2011

your beds look great….. all ready to go :)
I have a very small veg patch and so planted out my sweetcorn plants and rhubarb plant earlier…. the rest – Tomatoes, cucumber, chillies, lettuce, mint, coriander(cilantro), peppers, strawberries, I grow in grow bags or pots…. gonna build some beds too next year I think… xx

20 Evan Thomas May 6, 2011

This is DEFINITELY my kind of breakfast :-)

21 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 6, 2011

Ohmigawd – cookie dough for breakfast?! That looks sooooo good! I’m going to make some chocolate cookie balls today.

The garden is looking great!

22 Baking 'n' Books May 6, 2011

Holy crack-ola – that looks phenomenal…the dough balls! Thanks for the recommendation re: the mango…anything that’s good ‘from the bag’ ;)

23 Brianna Watson May 6, 2011

Seriously. You are SO inspiring. Thank you for doing what you do! You ROCK!

24 Amanda May 6, 2011

Will you be posting your garden plan? I love to see how other people plan out their gardens!

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2011

Yes I hope to once it is finalized :)

26 Geremy Capone @ Food Fight for Health May 6, 2011

Great work on the veggie garden…I’m trying to figure out the logistics of building my own on my condo balcony(first time)…how deep do you think I should make to planter to get anything other then herbs growing??

27 Heather (heathers dish) May 6, 2011

This is only my husband’s dream come true! And now that I think about it, mine too ;)

28 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious May 6, 2011

Cookie dough for breakfast?! You’re my kind of gal!
Your green monster looks fabulous too ~ mango has been everywhere in the blog world lately!

29 Shanna, Like Banana May 6, 2011

I could dive into that cereal, I swear! Did Cananda have Cookie Crisp cereal? I was never allowed to have it, but had it at friends now and then and it was mighty tasty ;)

30 chloe @ 321delish May 6, 2011

you’re killing me! cookie dough for breakfast….YOU CRAZY!

31 Beth May 6, 2011

Oh that looks so good.

I’m further south than you so we planted in our raised bed last weekend. Heirloom tomatoes and peppers, lettuce, chard, spinach and lots of herbs. We’ll see how it all turns out!

32 Emily May 6, 2011

There are so many awesome things going on in this post! The gardening thing is super exciting, that cookie dough cereal looks to die for as does the mango green monster! And the quote is SO fabulous, I love it!

33 Tara @ trulysimplebits May 6, 2011

do you buy your kale already frozen or do you do it yourself? I normally put spinach in mine but I want to try kale next time!
Your garden plots look great too!! you are so lucky to have a big yard. for now my veggies growing on my deck will have to do.

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2011

This was my first time trying a bag of frozen kale. Our grocery store never has fresh or organic kale (and when they do it is often wilted) so I picked up a bag of frozen kale in the natural food section. It is GREAT for smoothies…not bitter like fresh kale in a GM.

35 Kelsey May 6, 2011

Both breakfasts look delicious! That smoothie is so GREEN! Love it!

36 Leanne @ The Skinny Architect May 6, 2011

Thanks for posting the list of companion plants, I honestly didn’t know that existed. Who knew basil kills rosemary?! I am buying the plants for my raised bed this weekend, I may be re-thinking that list! Thanks again!

37 Katie May 6, 2011

I don’t know what looks better – your garden or that smoothie!

38 Christine @ Merf In Progress May 6, 2011

I wonder if I could make that smoothie with dried mango. I bought some dried mango, and I have no clue what to do with it!

39 Michelle (your girlfriend for fitness) May 6, 2011

I wish I had a green thumb, I’m lucky I can keep me and my daughter alive, lol… oh, and bamboo plants, anything else and I can’t say I didn’t warn you.
And mangoes in green monsters absolutely rock!

40 Paige @Running Around Normal May 6, 2011

Oh yuum!! I must have missed the post about the cookie dough balls – so trying this!

41 NicholeK May 6, 2011

I’ve been loving the frozen mango too! How amazing are they?? They just taste like summer to me. I’ve just been having them in regular or berry smoothies; I’ll have to try them in green monsters too…yum!

42 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather May 6, 2011

Fresh dirt is exciting! I need to work on my garden desperately this weekend. It’ll be raining of course.

43 Nicole @ Fresh & Fit May 6, 2011

Whooo, cookie dough for breakfast! Don’t even tell me that. Now I have an excuses to eat cookie dough all day!

44 Laura @ Starting Out Fit May 6, 2011

Looks like your garden beds are ready to go!!!!
I got fresh soil in my bed last weekend. All it needs is some sheep manure and then I’m ready to plant onces the warmer temps hit. (I like to wait until may 24 weekend as there’s less chance of frost then). Thanks for posting the companion plant link. I have a vague idea of what I want to plant veggie-wise this year, and this will help make my final decision! :)

45 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans May 6, 2011

I am on a serious mango kick right now…I can’t get enough of them!!

46 Ashley May 6, 2011

We are having a major kale shortage here!! I usually go through 2-3 bunches a week, but have only had it about once in the past two weeks. So sad! The garden beds look great + I am completely jealous!! :) We just don’t have time to add that to our list of things right now!! Maybe, mid-summer I can plant a mini garden though or at least some herbs. One other thing you can add to your birthday list, is a rain water harvesting bucket!! hehehe http://www.rainbarrelsource.com/rain-barrels/12440+12448.cfm?source=googleaw&kwid=rain%20water%20barrels&tid=modbroad I definitely want a compost bin started pronto! Happy Friday!!

47 Amber K May 6, 2011

What a great idea for a cookie dough breakfast! And that smoothie looks amazing. Okay, I just love it all :)

48 Rebecca May 6, 2011

I can’t believe you just went there with the cookie dough! You know how to do breakfast ;)
That GM combination is one of my favorites! Mango adds SO much to a smoothie. I’ve actually been adding coconut to my banana-mango GM and it is soooo deliciously creamy.

49 Sarah May 6, 2011

Love that you just add frozen fruit bits to your smoothies…how easy is it to pull something out of the freezer that is peeled, cubed and ready? Love it, and will try this whole chia seeds in smoothie thing…I’m skeptical but I’ll try! I just cant get over Chia pets!

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2011

dont worry they are tasteless! And I cant detect them in a smoothie at all.

51 Christina @ The Athletarian May 6, 2011

WOW! Both the cereal and the smoothie look so delicious! I have some fresh mangoes that are almost rip so I’m going to try that smoothie as soon at they are ready :D

52 Christina @ The Athletarian May 6, 2011

WOW! Both the cereal and the smoothie look so delicious! I have some fresh mangoes that are almost ripe so I’m going to try that smoothie as soon at they are ready :D

53 Justeen @ Blissful Baking May 6, 2011

The Green Monster looks so beautifully GREEN!! haha. And the chocolate chip cookie dough breakfast cereal sounds like the BEST CEREAL EVER! Fabulous idea!

54 Jennifer May 6, 2011

The chocolate chip cookie dough cereal sounds so yummy! I’m going to have to try that out soon! My parents have two planter boxes just like yours in their backyard and they absolutely love them. Plants grow very well in them. My mom plants 8 tomoato plants every year in each and they grow to be huge with a ton of fruit on them.

55 Tiff May 6, 2011

Your garden is going to be so awesome, and I am looking forward to pretty pictures of it. You grow girl! <— sorry, I couldn't help myself ;)

56 birdie to be May 6, 2011

Yum! This looks amazing!!! Cookie dough is a serious weakness for me. I will have to try out this recipe. The smoothie looks delish too! Thanks for sharing.

57 Moni'sMeals May 6, 2011

I am so proud of you guys for the progress you are making! You started this gosh darn it and you are certainly going to finish it! (unfortunatley, not usually the case with my incredible husband, oops did I say that out loud, joking)! :)

Now this is the new breakfast of champions! That has got to be the best Green Monster ever, eh? And those cookie dough balls…pretty pretty please? :)

58 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2011

hah dont worry I wont tell him. ;)

Dont get your hopes up too much…I could kill every plant by the end of the week!

59 Danielle May 6, 2011

Angela,
Not sure if you have ever tried VEGA – whole food optimizer, but its an amazing, completely vegan and gluten free, breakfast. Protein in the mix is derived from hemp, lentils, and brown rice only. So many good things in there also that help to balance my hormones, keep my full for a couple hours and give me energy all day. I havn’t felt the afternoon need for caffine in weeks since I started having a smoothy every morning. I started adding kale to it recently too to make my own version of the green monster! I highly recommend it for adding to your mix if you want to try something new! I use the chocolate mix and add banana, almond milk, and peanut butter for quite a delish combo. I have heard the berry mix is better though and might be more your style!

ps. haven’t posted much on here but wanted you to know I am absolutely inspired by your blog. Look forward to reading it everyday and you have helped me improve so many of my “disordered” eating habits by leading by example. Appreciate the constant support :)

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2011

Thank you Danielle!

I have not tried the whole food optimizer, but I do use the vega choc-o-lot made with pea protein (love it!) Do you know how the optimizer differs from their other powders?

61 Danielle May 6, 2011

From what I understand whole food optimizer is pretty similar to the cho-o-lot protein, just a little more of everything plus some addition benefits because its more like a meal replacement vs. protein replacement. Here a link to the website if you want to check it out for when you need a new batch!

62 Jessica @ Dishin' About Nutrition May 6, 2011

Whew what a project! That might be the greenest green monster I have ever seen!

63 Jennifer May 6, 2011

Banana mango is my staple Green Monster! Sometimes I put a little chocolate Amazing Grass powder in just for a kick.

64 Cait @ Beyond Bananas May 6, 2011

LOVE how green and vibrant your monster is!

65 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 6, 2011

Haha I just saw Allie from LiveLaughEat eating cookie dough for breakfast. Now this is a trend I can jump on!

66 Kirby {Colors of Honey} May 6, 2011

Your breakfast looks so yummy! your garden is making me want a yard even more than I did before! can’t wait to see how all your planting turns out!

67 Mushrooms Canada May 6, 2011

Angela, you should go up the street to the mushroom farm and get some of their spent mushroom compost that is out front… it’s a great soil conditioner/fertilizer with no chemicals… and the best part, it’s free!
– Brittany

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2011

yes, we are going to supplement the triple mix with the mushroom compost too! What is the best way to transport it? lol

69 Mushrooms Canada May 6, 2011

Strong men to shovel… and a trailer! lol
Your best bet would be to take some empty bins or garbage cans and fill them up… if you had access to a pick-up truck I would say just fill up the bed!
Good Luck!! :)
– Brittany

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2011

haha thanks!

71 Lenna May 6, 2011

Compost bin as a birthday wish?! How quirky and lovely:) I like the idea!

72 Beth May 6, 2011

You had me at “Chocolate chip” :)

Getting those 2 garden beds ready must really have been a work out.

Compost bin: must have. We use ours all the time for all the fruit & veg and tea bags that we go through – except in the winter when it freezes. Then we use the city’s green bin collection service.

Thanks for the heads up on the PC frozen mango. I’ll have to give it a try.

73 Donna May 6, 2011

I’ve just discovered putting kale in smoothies and i love it!
Thursday my blog totally rocked the PC frozen mango as well, lol!
Can’t wait to see what you grow in the garden :)

74 Vanessa @ Loving the Sweet LIfe May 6, 2011

I love that you had cookie dough for breakfast (I had a blueberry cupcake) but it’s Friday so enjoy!!!
Your garden is looking good, I have one 4ft x 8ft raised bed and it’s been quite the workout getting it ready. Thanks for the companion list, now I know which of my veggies will be friends :)

75 Marta May 6, 2011

Hiya Angela! That last quote is really beautiful. Think it’s gonna stick with me for a while. Might be my summer mantra!

M :)

76 shana @100lbsandcounting May 6, 2011

I’m excited for your garden! I want to garden too but maybe one day when I have a home of my own and not some teeny tiny apartment =P It looks good so far and I’m looking forward to watching it progress.

77 shana @100lbsandcounting May 6, 2011

Oh yea, and what kind of blender do you own? Also food processor. I’m in the hunt to replace mine (which lasted less than a year!!! sucker). Also, I’ve always was interested in a food processor but can’t seem to justify the purchase – I mean if I have a blender doesn’t it do nearly the same thing?

78 Mariah@Apples"N"OATS May 6, 2011

i’m obsessed with frozen mango slices!i could eat the whole bag in one sitting …and I have before. whoops!

79 steffanie May 6, 2011

Absolutely loooove all your amazing recipes:) Can you recommend a good Wheatgrass powder?

80 Alaina May 6, 2011

I love the garden boxes!! I can’t wait to have my one garden. :-)

81 Alaina May 6, 2011

I love the garden boxes!! I can’t wait to have my own garden. :-)

82 kaila @ healthy helper! May 6, 2011

OMG that cookie dough cereal sounds amazing! Like desert for breakfast! And I’m sure the combo crunchy cereal and chewy dough balls is amazing!

83 Jaclyn May 6, 2011

That pile of dirt looks like the long lost twin of what’s in my driveway! We’ve already spread it all over our lawn (for filling in grass) and in my raised garden bed and we still have a huge tower of soil and a small pile of compost. My husband is apparently an over-orderer when it comes to dirt. Or his eyes are too big for his wheelbarrow.

That chocolate chip cookie dough cereal looks divine. I don’t even eat cereal (it never keeps me full) but I would eat that just for the cookie dough chunks. Yum.

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 6, 2011

haha we have a ton of dirt leftover too!

85 Ashley @ Taste for Healthy May 6, 2011

Congrats on starting your garden Angela!! And don’t worry… composting is cool these days!

And, I am totally making this Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cereal! :) Looks so tempting!

86 laurazanotto@hotmail.com May 6, 2011

I love veggie garden boxies; i plan on doing carrots, peas, tomatoes, and strawberries.
Your breakfast looks delicious!

87 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 6, 2011

that breakfast and smoothie look so SUMMERY! yum!

88 Charlie May 6, 2011

I love to add frozen mango to green monsters! You just made me crave one ;).

89 kate May 6, 2011

Im so jealous of your gardens cant wait to see them all planted!

90 Roz May 6, 2011

I’m excited to see what you grow in your garden. And I too have just discovered the President’s Choice frozen mango. It’s delicious. As is their combination that has peach/pineapple/grapes/melon and strawberries. (that combo is my “smoothie go to” mix) President’s Choice is the best!!!

91 vivoir May 6, 2011

I see you use wheatgrass powder, but what do you think of the liquid? It’s an acquired taste I know (!) but it’s kinda nice! Do you use it anytime?

Also, check me out using you as inspiration! I know how much enjoyment you get from food and am trying to channel this in order to shed past issues really. Take a sneaky peek and let me know if I’m Oh She Glows approved!!!!!

92 Lizz @ Leading the Good Life May 6, 2011

I got a composter for our anniversary one year. Some might think that’s insane, but I was stoked!!

93 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 6, 2011

The gardening is coming along! Pretty soon you’ll be growing all your own fruits and veggies and a total pro in no time!! :)

The cookie dough balls. I am a huge fan of cookie dough and make it in all forms and flavors, bites, balls, choc dipped, with white chunks, dark chunks, you name it, I’m there. Your b-fast cereal would be a major hit for me!

I hope you guys have a great weekend. Don’t work too hard! :)

94 Meredith May 6, 2011

That green monster looks amazing! I had my first green monster yesterday (just spinach, frozen banana, almond milk, and ground flax) and I’m in love!

95 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 6, 2011

those breakfasts are so exciting! I can’t wait to hear more about the garden. I will be planting one next year in my garden at my new apartment so I’ll need tips!

96 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 6, 2011

I had a mango avocado smoothie today and it wasn’t half bad. Still needs a bit of work, but there’s potential! Mango is sooo delicious!

97 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 6, 2011

I’m planting a garden this weekend too! Thanks for the link to the companion plant list – it really helped!

98 Tawney (Eat Hike Sleep Repeat) May 6, 2011

My backyard looked like yours last week! This my first year planting a garden so I’m crossing my fingers. I now have a few months of successful wheatgrass growing under my belt, so I am hopeful that at a minimum I get a bowl of strawberries and one stirfry out of the effort. Happy planting!

99 marla May 6, 2011

Wow with that cookie dough cereal/snack. Amazes me how much fun we can all have with whole food ingredients. I much prefer this idea to real cookie dough.
Go you with the garden. Love the thought of the workout being lifting that heavy soil.
Have a great weekend.
xo

100 Molly @ RDexposed May 6, 2011

Why have I never had a green smoothie?? And I’m pretty jealous of your new soil!

101 my little celebration May 6, 2011

Brilliant! I WILL be making these soon :D.

102 Misti May 6, 2011

1: Love your beginning garden! I miss mine, I’m off on a work project and away for a few months.
2: I am living in a hotel while on this work project and now I am thinking I need to buy a blender because the green monsters are looking good! I am attempting to go veg for the whole two months and some day just aren’t so good. A green monster would cheer me up for sure! And that cereal—mmm!

103 Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit May 6, 2011

Sounds like my week! Our garden beds are in and the composted has been built and is starting to be used, now I just need soil so that my seedlings can leave the greenhouse and really flourish!

Just out of curiosity though, why the insistence on growing only organic produce while shopping for PC frozen mango? I’m always curious about people’s local bs. Organic opinions!

104 Megan@eatmybeets May 6, 2011

I recently tried frozen mango as well! I think mango and strawberries are the best freezer fruits.

105 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 6, 2011

I haven’t had the greatest luck with frozen fruit either. The President’s Choice frozen raspberries and frozen mixed berries really don’t defrost well!

That’s exciting to see the garden coming along!

106 Christina May 6, 2011

Super exciting about the raised plant beds, I need to get started on my own (container) garden soon! Just wondering if you were able to find a triple mix with plant manure and if not, were you at all concerned with using animal manure in your food garden?

The frozen mango reminds me that I found frozen cherries at Costco recently and I wanted to pass that along since they are so hard to find in Canada.

107 Gina May 6, 2011

Mango Green Monsters are my absolute favorite! I usually use a frozen banana and then an almost too ripe mango. It comes out perfectly sweet, smooth, and neon which I love!

108 Lou May 6, 2011

omg i LOVE to have cereal for breakfast and this is just perfect!! i’d probably eat it for snack too haha :) thank you!

109 Kat @ Cupcake Kat May 6, 2011

That sounds like the best cereal bowl ever! Did it fill you up?

110 Diana @ frontyardfoodie May 6, 2011

Compost manure is the best soil for planting tomatoes in! They friggin’ love it.

I’m so excited to see how your garden pans out. I’ve been loving my garden this year because last year I was super pregnant throughout the most work intensive garden season and I couldn’t do very much and even hired the neighbor boy to weed for me but this year has gotten great start!

111 ellalinea May 7, 2011

That breakfast seems like dessert :))

112 Libby May 7, 2011

The beds are coming along nicely, One thing though that I have learned with composting, is to get two composters, so that you can turn the older compost out and keep adding to the new, that way you get the lovely dry compost to garden with instead of it being all moist and still decomposing…

Also mad love for the smoothie, and for the blog, very useful for a new vegan – I am trying to keep as raw as I can but your blog is very inspirational and shows just how fun cooking can be!! :)

113 Hannah May 7, 2011

Best breakfast! I was wondering, as the Green Monster Queen, whether you’d have recommendations for banana-less and mango-less smoothies? Bananas currently cost $2.50-$3 EACH in Australia right now, and mangoes aren’t in season (and we don’t have frozen mangos, at least not that I’ve ever seen!). I’d really love some ideas for a good smoothie without those two fruits, as my efforts have been lacklustre lately!

114 Morgan May 7, 2011

I SO have to make those cookie dough balls. I do have an allergy to tree nuts so I will have to substitute with peanuts and hope I get close to the same result :) *fingers crossed*

Have a beautiful day!!

115 Mimi (Gingersnaps) May 7, 2011

That breakfast has my drooling! WAAAAY better than Cookie Crisp cereal…then again, the cookie dough was always better than the cookies!

Frozen mango is awesome. I love how it has the “banana creamer” effect too.

116 Jessie May 7, 2011

I want to make a double compost bin for mother’s day, but my husband hasn’t asked what I wanted, so I’m just hoping he will ask that day and we can run and get some lumber! Right now I’m waiting for some fresh compost and my beds to dry out before I can plant . . . I’m not a patient person :(

Good Luck on your garden!

117 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn May 7, 2011

That sounds so so yummy!! I love the idea of using those “balls” in the cereal, I wonder how it would taste with a broken up cookie dough larabar?!

118 VEGirl May 7, 2011

What a great idea! Chocolate chips at breakfast are always a hit :) Thanks for the quote btw, very inspiring!

119 mariah (pictures pups and pies) May 7, 2011

my husband saw the title of this blog today and said, “Babe, make that for breakfast!” It does sound delicious…. chocolate chip cookie dough breakfast cereal! THANKS- can’t wait to try it.

120 Cassie (A Pinch of Cassafras) May 7, 2011

Hi Angela! I’ve been lurking around here for a while and was finally encouraged to comment and even start my own blog! But that’s besides the point! I’m so jealous of the beds you’ve made! If I had the room, I would do exactly the same.
Also, that breakfast sounds amazing and will be the next recipe of yours that I try.
I finally tried VOO and I LOVED it! It was amazing with banana and strawberry soft serve. YUM!

Thanks for all the amazing posts! :D

121 Alex @ Healing Beauty May 7, 2011

The breakfast cereal looks like it came from heaven. Can’t wait to try it! J’adore les mangues!

122 Livvy May 7, 2011

Angela-AHHH!! You are totally KILLING me with your incredible, amazing, over-the-moon FANTASTIC RECIPES!!! (I’m attempting to make my very own homemade coconut butter tonight-I’m like you and can’t seem to get enough of Artisana’s brand!) (which btw, is SO AMAZING and your homemade toast breakfast with the coconut butta looks BOMB!) annyway, I love this healthy cookie dough bowl idea; SUCH a great one and I can’t wait to try it!! (probably over chocolate cheerios this monday though!) yay yay yay! annnd also, the smoothie looks so great! I love green smoothies and happen to have some frozen mango in the freezer that’s been there for EVVAA’! So I can’t wait to use it up! does frozen kale really make a difference? I’m definitely going to try freezing mine; I would have never thought of that!! Well I hope this wasn’t an obnoxiously long comment; I really do just love your blog and feel like my comments could never do it justice! xoxo

123 Angel7 May 7, 2011

Mary, Mary, how does your garden grow? :) It looks great thus far!

That cereal looks heavenly!!! I love, love, love cookie dough!!!

124 Amy May 7, 2011

Oh YUM! That blizzard looks amazing!!! I make my own almond milk using raw almonds and water in my Vitamix. Do you think all the leftover almond meal I have in my freezer would work in place of the cashews in your cookie dough recipe? I think I’m going to try it! :)

125 Ragnhild May 9, 2011

Hi Angela :)
I notice this isnt the right post to comment this on, but I need to do it anyway :)
Im a 23 year old girl, vegetarianer from I was 12, and vegan since I turned 18, and I have struggled with eating since i was 12. Although I wont say I have a ED at the moment (I used to binge, starve myselfe, overtrain when I was younger), I still have a really messed-up relationship with food. I want to show myself that my body is trustworthy, but I keep making “plans” (only raw food, only macrobiotic ++), instead of listning to my body.

I have decided that I WANT to start really listening to my body- I know it knows whats best, and I have started to see my psychologist again. I never knew it was going to be SO hard! I have only worked with it for the past few weeks, and some mornings I just cant get up because it scares me so much not to have a food plan. Obviously Im still vegan (Im that for so many other reason too, not just healt), but not being “all raw” or what ever, makes me so scared to make mistakes.

Anyway, I have a long long way to go, but I have found reading this kind of health blogs so helpful. I have a few favorites that really helps me see that it is possible to make my realationship with food good and healthy again. And you a one of the girls I admire the most! You are such an inspiration to me, and I just want to thank you so much!

Thank you thank you thank you! Really!

I wish you a really good day:D

Ragnhild

126 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 9, 2011

Thank you so much! I wish you all the best with your journey.

127 Beth May 10, 2011

I have been thinking about these chocolate chip cookie balls and banana soft serve since this post. Today I bought a bunch of extra bananas that I will hide from my husband so he doesn’t eat them just for the banana soft serve! And I’ll make the chocolate chip cookie balls to go on them. Can’t wait!

128 Amber Schaefer May 11, 2011

THAT LOOKS AMAZING!! I’m going to have to try this ASAP! Also, how much cereal did you use?

129 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2011

mm maybe 1 cup or a bit more?

130 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen May 11, 2011

A bowl of cookie dough for breakfast?? I’m in!!

131 Kristi May 12, 2011

Hi Angela,

I absolutely loved the cereal bowl idea! I must admit– not only does it feel like a treat for breakfast (cookie dough balls?!), it is very satisfying, too! I made cherry coconut amaretto cookie dough balls to top my cereal with. Yum, yum, yum! I’m also a fan of this particular green monster as well. It’s perfectly refreshing, and right on par with the spring-like weather we’re having in the SF Bay Area. I tried it this morning, and I’m hooked.

Thank you so much for your beautiful website! I love your content, and look forward to new posts each and every day! :o)

Cheers~Kristi

132 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

Thanks kristi! Im so happy that you are enjoying the recipes.

Also, random, but you spell your name like my sister…I dont come across too many ‘Kristi’s’!!! ;)

133 Kristi May 13, 2011