ABU: Half The Calories, Double The Fun Almond Butter

IMG 5433 2   ABU: Half The Calories, Double The Fun Almond Butter

On Tuesday, Eric said the Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce would be the best recipe all week.

Today, I politely disagree. :)

(And I secretly thought he would be right!)

IMG 5479   ABU: Half The Calories, Double The Fun Almond Butter

After making this recipe yesterday, I announced it was the best recipe of the week.

Eric rolled his eyes. He just doesn’t ‘get’ nut butter!

Let’s see, this recipe is…

• Delicious & addicting
  • Creamy, smooth, buttery, with a hint of cinnamon and maple
  • Thrown together in 60 seconds flat. (2 mins. if you can’t find the cinnamon!)
  • Long-lasting in the fridge (I made that up, but I assume so)
  • Versatile- You can eat it every day with many different foods
  • Customizable- You could make many different flavours
  • You could make this nut free by using sunflower seed butter and a non-nut milk
  • FUN! You can use it as a dip, spread, mix in, topping, or main food group (ok maybe that’s just me)

IMG 5438 2   ABU: Half The Calories, Double The Fun Almond Butter

Are you excited yet?

IMG 5450 3   ABU: Half The Calories, Double The Fun Almond Butter

This little gem of a recipe called, ABU, comes from Heather of Heather Eats Almond Butter, which was adapted from Emily’s PBU recipe. Essentially, you blend almond butter (or nut butter of choice) with an equal portion of non-dairy milk and add any sweeteners, spices, or mix-ins you desire. I believe the names ABU & PBU are a play off of the PB2 powdered peanut butter product.

By doing this, you are doubling the volume of your nut butter, while preserving a creamy nut butter taste. It is also great for those of us who are sensitive to nuts. Normally, I get stomach pains when eating plain almond butter, but I didn’t have any when eating this ABU so that is a huge plus for me.

I saw this recipe on Heather’s blog a couple years ago and I am kicking myself for not making it sooner! I obviously need to get my priorities straight.

IMG 5477   ABU: Half The Calories, Double The Fun Almond Butter

By making this, you are basically doubling the volume, and slashing the nutritional profile in half. The way I see it, I can eat twice as much now. ;)

I added a touch of cinnamon to the original recipe and increased the maple syrup by a couple teaspoons since I don’t use stevia. It was just amazing! My mind is already swirling with other flavour ideas. I will have to try it out with homemade almond butter too. Can you imagine how good this would be with Barney Butter? Or a vanilla bean?

It’s dreamy.

IMG 5447   ABU: Half The Calories, Double The Fun Almond Butter

I tried it with a tart Granny Smith.

IMG 5459   ABU: Half The Calories, Double The Fun Almond Butter

This was a very happy moment in my day. ;)

IMG 5469   ABU: Half The Calories, Double The Fun Almond Butter

Some other ways you can enjoy ABU:

• Drizzled on oatmeal or VOO
  • Drizzled over cereal
  • Dips for fruit or veggies
  • Topping for a dessert like a brownie or cake
  • Spread on bread, muffins, or crackers
  • Baked oatmeal
  • messy s’mores
  • Baked granola
  • by the spoonful like I did!
  • poured on Banana soft serve or ice cream
  • poured over cooked vegetables like Broccoli (Heather does this!)
  • Blended into smoothies or drizzled on top

How would you eat this? What mix-ins, spices, or nut butters do you think would be good in it?

IMG 54891   ABU: Half The Calories, Double The Fun Almond Butter

Eric took the day off work today to begin deck construction! Shayne and Dan are here to help out which is awesome. Zac is coming after work tonight and we have more friends coming this weekend. What would we do without our dear friends? Thankfully, today is a sunny day, so they are going full force all day long!

Early this morning I headed out for a chilly half hour walk and did some Whittle My Middle and stretching when I returned. Walking is a great way to ease back into exercise after being sick. I don’t want to overdo it, but I also want to get active so it is a nice compromise. I came back with a clear head and lifted energy to start the day.

Have a good one!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com May 5, 2011

Oooh, this looks creamy dreamy! I’ve been meaning to make this PBU/ABU for forever! Thanks for reminding me to do it! :)

Christina @ The Athletarian May 5, 2011

Wow this looks so amazing! I think I might try it today! Maybe some cocoa powder, PB, maple syrup and almond milk would taste like PB chocolate heaven…hmmm something to try. Thanks for the recipe ;)

Sara May 5, 2011

Good for you for easing back into exercise. That’s almost harder for me than not exercising at all. I tend to hit the ground running, trying to make up for lost time, and then I re-injure myself, or whatever the case may be. It’s a lesson I keep learning over and over. I will, however, be making this almond butter…maybe a pumpkin version? :D

I love how the food in your pictures just drips all over the place, lol. That would drive me nuts, but looks wonderful for photography!

Jessica @ Dishin' About Nutrition May 5, 2011

That looks heavenly!! Your pics are always so gorgeous!

Nikita May 5, 2011

Your photos are always so appetizing :) I’m going to have to try PBU/ABU! I blend pb into yogurt sometimes and use it as a dip for apples and bananas.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 5, 2011

I can not wait to try this, thanks for sharing!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 5, 2011

Oh my goodness, these photos are gorgeous! I love the bright pink and green. I think I definitely need to make this…maybe I’ll use my PB & Co cinnamon raisin swirl!

Lisa Fine May 5, 2011

Sadly, I can’t eat almond butter, cause my throat gets itchy when I eat almonds. :(
But I would think I could do the same thing with peanut butter or cashew butter…don’t you think? This looks too delicious to pass up!

Kirsty (gymbunnycoco) May 5, 2011

That looks DIVINE!!!
I am making your enchiladas tonight…. I can’t wait…. :)
xx

Chloe @ 321delish May 5, 2011

I want to make this ASAP! I always go overboard with putting peanut butter on apples because it is so dense and I end up using way more than 1 serving…but this is great because the consistency isn’t quite as dense!

Shanna, Like Banana May 5, 2011

Drippy ooey gooey goodness…nom. I really enjoy PB2 – in fact, now I’m craving it!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 5, 2011

Oh. Snap.
My heart just skipped a beat.

kristy @ kristyruns.com May 5, 2011

Ow wow. What a great idea! Can’t wait to try!!!

Carly May 5, 2011

I see you’re using your Apple Slicer. Seriously one of my fave kitchen gadgets. Call me lazy!
I can totally see myself eating (a non almond version) this with a spoon.

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 5, 2011

The consistency looks awesome! So drippy and creamy :) I’d definitely eat this with some messy s’mores or on top of pancakes/oatmeal!! Thanks for the milk tip!

Suzanne Williams May 5, 2011

I am excited–this looks amazing and i eat almond butter pretty much every day.
Suzanne Williams

Amanda May 5, 2011

I was just wondering, is there a reason why you don’t use stevia?

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans May 5, 2011

Yay for sunshine…finally!!

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa May 5, 2011

Hazelnuts + chocolate = heaven. I actually had plans to make something similar to your recipe today but using hazelnuts, almonds and some chocolate swirled in at the end!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious May 5, 2011

I am an ABU/PBU virgin ~ I’ve never even heard of it before! I just so happen to have some natural peanut butter in my fridge and I think I’ll be making up my own special blend tonight. I love that you can cut the calories and customize your very own flavour – thanks for the great recipe!

Kelly May 5, 2011

Yummmm….I would have to add cocoa and cinnamon. I love chocolate + cinnamon together. If I left it plain, I would try dipping carrots and celery in it.

Emily May 5, 2011

This is sort of a silly omni question, but I’m assuming I can use regular milk and it’ll work just as well? My family refuses to buy non-dairy milk outside of Lent and Advent (the only times of the year when we eat a vegan diet) but I’d LOVE to try this. Sounds genius.

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen May 5, 2011

Ohh, yum – this looks incredible.

Gwenevere May 5, 2011

I might be able to get my kids to eat sunbutter if I can mix it with other things they love. Baby steps right?

Jenna May 5, 2011

This looks amazing Angela! I will definitely be making this ASAP! Can I ask why you don’t use stevia? I’ve never used it myself, but I see lots of people using it.

Katie May 5, 2011

I am not a huge almond butter fan, but these photos have me drooling!

birdie to be May 5, 2011

This looks absolutely amazing. These pictures seriously have my mouth watering. I am in search of some almond butter today! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to trying out this recipe.

Clare @ Fitting It All IN May 5, 2011

What a genius idea!!

Cristina | Positively Beauty May 5, 2011

Oh this is such a wonderful idea!!! I love nut butters but I’m watching what I eat because I want to lose weight, so this recipe comes just at the right time, thank you :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 5, 2011

That looks so delicious! I’ll have to check out HEAB’s original recipe!

Michelle | GOLD-HEARTED GIRL May 5, 2011

Yum, I’ve always wanted to try one of these concoctions. I’ve seen them around…

Dalai Lina May 5, 2011

Angela, I don’t know how you stopped yourself from eating the entire cup (or did you…)

Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. May 5, 2011

Why haven’t I tried this either?! I want to try it with different nut butters as well, or even a combo of them…YUM! Thanks for sharing and thanks to HEAB as well!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 5, 2011

I had no idea there was a whole movement!

I did this to thin out the Spiced Almond Butter I made the other day in order to toss it with quinoa. Deliciousness!

Rebecca May 5, 2011

Yes, oooooh YES! I’m drooling. I’ve been buying Better n’ PB because I am nut butter obsessed and can definitely OD on the stuff, but I don’t like it’s “unnaturalness”. This may just be the answer to my craving. Now I can eat twice as much almond butter! ;) Must try immediately!!!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas May 5, 2011

Wow – what a great way to make nut butter better! I could honestly eat half a jar in one sitting.. now I won’t feel so yucky if I do.. bye bye tummy pains!

Julie @ Shining From Within May 5, 2011

YUM! finally I can eat a whole jar of nut butter ;) i love walks.. they’re so relaxing. probably my favorite form of exercise rather than running. walking = meditation to me!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 5, 2011

I make something like this to put on my oatmeal sometimes. I love that it doubles the volume and helps to spread it all over my oats so that I get nut butter in every bite. :D

Liz @ Blog is the New Black May 5, 2011

Drool inducing photos, recipe is phenomenal!

McKella May 5, 2011

Genius. I’m doing it, because it looks amazing and almond butter is expensive!

Page 1 of 41234»